Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,815 members, 7,817,363 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:59 AM

What Will You Do If Your Boss Calls You Stupid? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Will You Do If Your Boss Calls You Stupid? (6907 Views)

You’ve A New Job & Your Salary Is 850k But Your Boss Insults You Too Much / Is It Right To Say Thank You To Your Boss When Collecting Your Salary? / 6 Secrets Your Boss Doesn’t Want You To Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Will You Do If Your Boss Calls You Stupid? by Outstrip(f): 6:16pm On May 20, 2011
xreal:

hmm!
Exaggeration.
Funny though.

It is not an exxageration. A female manager in Nigeria made her staff do it. It was in the news and I believe it was even discussed on this website. Maybe the hands up and closee yoru eyes was not part of it LOL but they were actually told to do so.
Re: What Will You Do If Your Boss Calls You Stupid? by haydesh: 6:54pm On May 20, 2011
More often than not, he would burst into our department and label everybody- married and unmarried "bunch of fools. If you don't like it you leave the job. Some bosses are too arrogant. This is very obvious among Nigerian entrepreneurs. They feel they do people favours.

What we you do? Nothing. It is a daily dosage. you just have to tolerate this insults on regular basis.

Nay, Should unfair labour practice be tolerated just for the sake of a job

Should a persons dignity be erode simply because he is a worker

Heck no to 21st century slavery
Slavery is not only in the physical act or underpaid but the physic. How many have had there career materially affected by such.
It takes great courage to come out of such oppression and achieve much.

Nonetheless, to every 'privilege' there is responsibility!!! Mistake cannot be condone for perpetual mistake stake. Workers have to come to the table to improve the bottom line (and yes o should be part of the sharing afterward albeit 'little')

So join us in voting and discussion labour matter at Nigeria Labour Forum
Re: What Will You Do If Your Boss Calls You Stupid? by hackney(m): 7:00pm On May 20, 2011
Im just trying to imagine the typical nigerian workplace. . . must be terrible.
Re: What Will You Do If Your Boss Calls You Stupid? by switchmax8: 7:13pm On May 20, 2011
i will beat him up the way dino malaye was dealt with in the National Assembly
Re: What Will You Do If Your Boss Calls You Stupid? by Thirst4Lif: 8:03pm On May 20, 2011
Very unprofessional to berate an employee by calling him or her

silly. The boss needs to hone his managerial skills.
Re: What Will You Do If Your Boss Calls You Stupid? by sweetpawn1: 8:21pm On May 20, 2011
SIMPLE, I WILL GET HIM EITHER KIDNAPPED OR BOMBED! angry - WHICH EVER ONE COMES CHEAPER!
Re: What Will You Do If Your Boss Calls You Stupid? by Orton10(m): 10:32pm On May 20, 2011
Quit and burst his/her lips open on my way out . . . to hell with him/her. cool
Re: What Will You Do If Your Boss Calls You Stupid? by chelseabmw(m): 12:07am On May 21, 2011
I will do nothing cos he is my boss
Re: What Will You Do If Your Boss Calls You Stupid? by Nobody: 12:41am On May 21, 2011
Will Just leave his presence when he is done and he will annoyed I will not over react as there is nothing that I can do Just hope for a better Job, but in any place you work it will have it own toughness so I will just learn to endure while I pray for God to establish me set my own business, [color=#006600][/color]
Re: What Will You Do If Your Boss Calls You Stupid? by manny4life(m): 12:55am On May 21, 2011
Hey I'll suck it up, and ignore her a/s/s like she's irrelevant. I don't have to speak but body language sure tells a whole lot.
Re: What Will You Do If Your Boss Calls You Stupid? by toyemz(f): 2:42am On May 21, 2011
call him/her to order
and demand for an immediate apology
Re: What Will You Do If Your Boss Calls You Stupid? by maddock(m): 6:47am On May 21, 2011
The fact is if he calls you silly ,ARE U REALLY SILLY?

It depends on what blunder you committed and the type of person your boss is. I have people working under me and at times calling them silly is an understatement as i feel like whozing them slaps.lol

But the real question we should be asking you is, what did you do? From your post i can see that you are REALLY SILLY by saying YOU ARE NOT BEING PAID very well when you have not told us what you did to warrant you being called silly. I think you should resign and stop tormenting other people with this NOT PAID VERY WELL altitude of yours. lol
Re: What Will You Do If Your Boss Calls You Stupid? by Digriz(m): 7:11am On May 21, 2011
U hv to tolerate it or u find another job if u cnt.
Even some well paid soccer stars do receive such and even d worst frm their managers. Mourinho called Baloteli a son of a LovePeddler wen both were in Inter milan.
A boss is boss wheda underpaid or overpaid,he or she is still ur boss and u dnt hv to insult bak unless ur quitting.
Re: What Will You Do If Your Boss Calls You Stupid? by adconline(m): 8:05am On May 21, 2011
If you made a mistake that made your company to lose money, then, man up and get your acts together. Your boss is not your father or mother, so he/she is not beholding to costly relationships, but bottom lines.
Re: What Will You Do If Your Boss Calls You Stupid? by henryhemon(m): 10:36am On May 21, 2011
@maddock,
Am going to pretend I didn't see u calling me sily.its unprofessional 4 a boss to call his employee stupid,not 4 d 1st time.I juggle between working as an admin,secretary,finance officer n marketing staff all 4 d prize of 1 for a degree holder.am not complaining about that mind u but in all d instances I ve been d one that is right.my sin is that I sent a savings account no.to a client n I immediately rectified it.
Re: What Will You Do If Your Boss Calls You Stupid? by Sike(m): 10:39am On May 21, 2011
Na dat day he go personaly sign his death warrant, #chikena
Re: What Will You Do If Your Boss Calls You Stupid? by maddock(m): 2:17pm On May 21, 2011
@henryhemon

My point is you should stop sulking because your boss called you silly, believe me other people have seen worse. I really dont care what people say because am not what they say i am. If your boss is not cultured or professional to realise how to communicate with you then thats his problem. And on the other hand if you are not matured enough to handle whatever is being thrown at you especially at this stage in your in life of MOVING UP, then its your problem too. Calling you silly IMO is not a big deal lets face fact. Some people here are just talking thrash about beating or slapping him, that a very unwise advice. Dont be deceived in Nigeria people go through worse. Thank God he didnt say you are STUPID,DUMB, DULL, A DISGRACE,AN EDUCATED ILLETERATE, A LIABILITY TO THE COMPANY blablablah. I have seen people being told stuff like this and they smiled and continue their work. It doesnt matter what people say about you, what matters is how you see yourself. If a teenage old girl could all the way from uk insults a whole Obama, then make we leave matter for mathias.
Re: What Will You Do If Your Boss Calls You Stupid? by maddock(m): 2:24pm On May 21, 2011
Outstrip:

It is not an exxageration. A female manager in Nigeria made her staff do it. It was in the news and I believe it was even discussed on this website. Maybe the hands up and closee yoru eyes was not part of it LOL but they were actually told to do so.

Stuffs like this are not mare exegeration. I have heard of senior managers being told to kneel down and raise their hands in Nigeria by their bosses. Whatabout a certain governor being slapped in presence of his commissioners by his godfather. Or a governor who is supposed to be the chief security officer being arrested on order of his godfather by the same police officers that are supposed to be answereable to him. So being called silly is not big deal in Nigeria setting, people have seen worse and dem no kill themself.
Re: What Will You Do If Your Boss Calls You Stupid? by Remii(m): 2:32pm On May 21, 2011
If you work for well organised company, they should have anti harassment rules. Ensure to document the scene may be have a witness or record voice on phone, then report the case.
Re: What Will You Do If Your Boss Calls You Stupid? by maddock(m): 2:37pm On May 21, 2011
Remii:

If you work for well organised company, they should have anti harassment rules. Ensure to document the scene may be have a witness or record voice on phone, then report the case.

No offence meant but pls can you kindly name any 2 organised company in Nigeria that you think or know have anti-H rules and would or reprimand a boss for calling his subordinate silly? Maybe my organisation is an mgbeke organisation.
Re: What Will You Do If Your Boss Calls You Stupid? by Reference(m): 2:38pm On May 21, 2011
Guess it depends on what industry you work. If you work in some pansy pad where you wear shoulder pads you might as well break down and cry your eyes out but if you are a genuine blue blood from factory floor through construction to the extractive industry 'don't be silly' means hello and if you're in the military it means 'hello dear'.

Once had a brief stint in the military. There was a nice chap nicknamed 'sergeant Bleep sh//t'. Need I tell you why.
Re: What Will You Do If Your Boss Calls You Stupid? by Remii(m): 2:43pm On May 21, 2011
maddock:

No offence meant but pls can you kindly name any 2 organised company in Nigeria that you think or know have anti-H rules and would or reprimand a boss for calling his subordinate silly? Maybe my organisation is an mgbeke organisation.

Multinationals (Shell Mobil, Chevron, Total MTN, Accenture) no name calling, your boss can deal with you during appraisal if he thinks you are less competent for your job.
Re: What Will You Do If Your Boss Calls You Stupid? by maddock(m): 2:49pm On May 21, 2011
Remii:

Mul
Multinationals (Shell Mobil, Chevron, Total MTN, Accenture) no name calling, your boss can deal with you during appraisal if he thinks you are less competent for your job.

Which multi-nationals are you talking about? those one that polluted our lands abeg talk anoda thing. MTN ke! Maybe you didnt read the op post. I think you should go back and read it, then come back to tell me since when making a mistake in any organisation is a "award giving act"
Re: What Will You Do If Your Boss Calls You Stupid? by AjanleKoko: 9:56pm On May 21, 2011
Reference:

Guess it depends on what industry you work. If you work in some pansy pad where you wear shoulder pads you might as well break down and cry your eyes out but if you are a genuine blue blood from factory floor through construction to the extractive industry 'don't be silly' means hello and if you're in the military it means 'hello dear'.

Once had a brief stint in the military. There was a nice chap nicknamed 'sergeant bleep sh//t'. Need I tell you why.

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: What Will You Do If Your Boss Calls You Stupid? by henryhemon(m): 12:11am On May 22, 2011
@maddock,
You re an employer and u think cuz u pay me,I should swallow being called s t u p I d abi? U can go on n call ur wards f o o l s and don't pay them their due wages and expect one not to complain.did u read the kind of mistake I made? Goodluck.
Re: What Will You Do If Your Boss Calls You Stupid? by Nobody: 12:41am On May 22, 2011
Ojoro cancel then! if you made a mistake at work and you are underpaid, i think its fair then! keep making mistakes and u will forever be under paid
Re: What Will You Do If Your Boss Calls You Stupid? by Sassykes(f): 3:14am On May 22, 2011
Inwardly, i would have beaten the crap out of him, but outwardly i would just apologize and then mutter under my breath for the rest of the day lol
Re: What Will You Do If Your Boss Calls You Stupid? by adebio: 8:46pm On May 22, 2011
If ur boss called u silly, then do u hv a choice? if u don't hv any other paid job yet, u just hv 2 accept it as it comes. As far as u're still a subordinate u need 2 endure and be submissive until it's ur turn.
Re: What Will You Do If Your Boss Calls You Stupid? by Remii(m): 9:19pm On May 22, 2011
maddock:

Which multi-nationals are you talking about? those one that polluted our lands abeg talk anoda thing. MTN ke! Maybe you didnt read the op post. I think you should go back and read it, then come back to tell me since when making a mistake in any organisation is a "award giving act"

I did not say mistakes should go unpunished, especially when they become repetitive from the same person. I mentioned appraisal in my post. There are so many ways to repremand or give an erring employee fedback, name calling is not one of them. I assumed its an organised company where both of you are employees, if you call him stupid, he may chose to respond with physical contact .

You called some one stupid and still cut his pay, that to me is double punishment, lol
Re: What Will You Do If Your Boss Calls You Stupid? by ozoemeka(m): 1:49am On May 23, 2011
If you're on casual terms with your boss (which you should be), then it's cool. Else, step your game up.
Re: What Will You Do If Your Boss Calls You Stupid? by iamola(m): 10:52am On May 23, 2011
my boss calls people- you fool!!! angry,have you lost ur soul!!! shocked u have lost it!!! undecidedilliterate!!! sadur iq is so low!!! cry. men,dat guy might be rich but i feel he is a area boy/tout in sit.damn!!!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Re The Requirements For Obtaining Citn Certification With Aca Certification / Is Medical Sales Rep A Good Career Or Job? / I Need To Know All About Chartered Institute Of Logistics And Transport (cilt)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.