Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,031 members, 7,852,533 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 07:50 PM

Is It Unlaw For To Claim my mother's tribal origin In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is It Unlaw For To Claim my mother's tribal origin In Nigeria (3232 Views)

Stella Oduah Reacts To Claim Of Not Completing Her NYSC, Shares Evidence / Nnamdi Kanu’s Surety, Abaribe Sets To Claim N100M Forfeited Bail Fund From FG / What I Will Do To El-rufai For Calling Me ‘tribal Bigot’- Peter Obi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Unlaw For To Claim my mother's tribal origin In Nigeria by Abetterperson: 5:14pm On Aug 18, 2021
I ask this question because I want to know if it's possible to favour one mother's side, like say getting into a university and you want to use your mother's local government area because paternally you are not a citizen of that state but maternally you are a citizen
Re: Is It Unlaw For To Claim my mother's tribal origin In Nigeria by NNEWIsuper: 5:18pm On Aug 18, 2021
It's unlawful though, but some still do it. In Nigeria your origin is where your father is from
Re: Is It Unlaw For To Claim my mother's tribal origin In Nigeria by ivolt: 5:19pm On Aug 18, 2021
NNEWIsuper:
It's unlawful though, but some still do it. In Nigeria your origin is where your father is from
Can you quote the section of the constitution or other law that makes it illegal?
Re: Is It Unlaw For To Claim my mother's tribal origin In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:24pm On Aug 18, 2021
I'm actually using my mother side too... Her surname and her state of origin...
Re: Is It Unlaw For To Claim my mother's tribal origin In Nigeria by NNEWIsuper: 5:25pm On Aug 18, 2021
ivolt:

Can you quote the section of the constitution or other law that makes it illegal?
You have data, you have your android phone. I just informed you, I'm not here to spoonfeed you
Re: Is It Unlaw For To Claim my mother's tribal origin In Nigeria by NNEWIsuper: 5:25pm On Aug 18, 2021
Doradorwa:
I'm actually using my mother side too... Her surname and her state of origin...
That's fraudulent
Re: Is It Unlaw For To Claim my mother's tribal origin In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:27pm On Aug 18, 2021
NNEWIsuper:

That's fraudulent
lol... I did an actual change of name with the court. I have the right to choose the name I want.

6 Likes

Re: Is It Unlaw For To Claim my mother's tribal origin In Nigeria by NNEWIsuper: 5:28pm On Aug 18, 2021
Doradorwa:
lol... I did an actual change of name with the court. I have the right to choose the name I want.
Name yes but not origin, that's what I'm talking about. Don't twist it.
Look like your parents divorced or something, that's what it seems
Re: Is It Unlaw For To Claim my mother's tribal origin In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:46pm On Aug 18, 2021
NNEWIsuper:

Name yes but not origin, that's what I'm talking about. Don't twist it.
Look like your parents divorced or something, that's what it seems
You are right sir... Just the name but I decided to add my mother state of origin and LGA to it... I've always claimed Yoruba since then... And I'm in my final year at University now...

1 Like

Re: Is It Unlaw For To Claim my mother's tribal origin In Nigeria by NNEWIsuper: 5:48pm On Aug 18, 2021
Doradorwa:
You are right sir... Just the name but I decided to add my mother state of origin and LGA to it... I've always claimed Yoruba since then... And I'm in my final year at University now...
Mana ịbụ onye Igbo, ọkwa ya? Gwam eziokwu
Re: Is It Unlaw For To Claim my mother's tribal origin In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:49pm On Aug 18, 2021
NNEWIsuper:

I don't understand Igbo sir... I'm Yoruba
Re: Is It Unlaw For To Claim my mother's tribal origin In Nigeria by NNEWIsuper: 5:52pm On Aug 18, 2021
Doradorwa:
I don't understand Igbo sir... I'm Yoruba
Okay, so your dad is yoruba as well?
Re: Is It Unlaw For To Claim my mother's tribal origin In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:54pm On Aug 18, 2021
NNEWIsuper:

Okay, so your dad is yoruba as well?
lol... No he's from Nnewi... Lol... But I'm Yoruba

3 Likes

Re: Is It Unlaw For To Claim my mother's tribal origin In Nigeria by OlujobaSamuel: 6:00pm On Aug 18, 2021
Na because of people like una some people still dey do tribal mark, why change your origin just because of today's benefit, so what happens if there is a better benefit from your origin tomorrow?
I once applied for NDA, one of my referees (a prince that is a younger brother to the sitting king) is from my mother side, and I reached him through my grandpa that is a chief in the town.
Re: Is It Unlaw For To Claim my mother's tribal origin In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:01pm On Aug 18, 2021
NNEWIsuper:

You wan confirm if her papa nah igbo, but now you don know grin
Re: Is It Unlaw For To Claim my mother's tribal origin In Nigeria by NNEWIsuper: 6:01pm On Aug 18, 2021
Doradorwa:
Hahahahahahaha you're not serious, Nnewi ko Afghanistan ni. You're hiding whom you are why?
Re: Is It Unlaw For To Claim my mother's tribal origin In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:01pm On Aug 18, 2021
OlujobaSamuel:
Na because of people like una some people still dey do tribal mark, why change your origin just because of today's benefit, so what happens if there is a better benefit from your origin tomorrow?
I once applied for NDA, one of my referees (a prince that is a younger brother to the sitting king) is from my mother side, and I reached him through my grandpa that is a chief in the town.
So what are you trying to say?
Re: Is It Unlaw For To Claim my mother's tribal origin In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:04pm On Aug 18, 2021
NNEWIsuper:

Hahahahahahaha you're not serious, Nnewi ko Afghanistan ni. You're hiding whom you are why?
lol.. I'm serious...
Re: Is It Unlaw For To Claim my mother's tribal origin In Nigeria by NNEWIsuper: 6:07pm On Aug 18, 2021
Doradorwa:
lol.. I'm serious...
I don't think so, bc you saw my name, hehehe. Ọya answer my DM let's confirm
Re: Is It Unlaw For To Claim my mother's tribal origin In Nigeria by RZArecta(m): 6:09pm On Aug 18, 2021
NNEWIsuper:

[s]Name yes but not origin, that's what I'm talking about. Don't twist it.
Look like your parents divorced or something, that's what it seems[/s]
why are you so bitter ?
Re: Is It Unlaw For To Claim my mother's tribal origin In Nigeria by theTranslator: 6:19pm On Aug 18, 2021
Doradorwa:
grin
Re: Is It Unlaw For To Claim my mother's tribal origin In Nigeria by Christistruth00: 6:20pm On Aug 18, 2021
Abetterperson:
I ask this question because I want to know if it's possible to favour one mother's side, like say getting into a university and you want to use your mother's local government area because paternally you are not a citizen of that state but maternally you are a citizen

In Yoruba Culture if Your Mother is Yoruba and you can speak the Language you are considered to be Yoruba unless you yourself insist otherwise

3 Likes

Re: Is It Unlaw For To Claim my mother's tribal origin In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:23pm On Aug 18, 2021
Christistruth00:

In Yoruba Culture if Your Mother is Yoruba and you can speak the Language you are considered to be Yoruba unless you yourself insist otherwise
Really? Wow
Re: Is It Unlaw For To Claim my mother's tribal origin In Nigeria by Christistruth00: 6:24pm On Aug 18, 2021
NNEWIsuper:

Not true

You become a Nigerian Citizen once one of your Parents is Nigerian and if it is your mother you will naturally claim her place

Alhaji Shugaba’s Case at the Supreme Court settled the Matter

Sugaba was a famous Politician from Borno who was deported to Chad by President Shagari and his Political opponents who claimed his father was from Chad
The Supreme Court ruled that Sugaba was a Nigerian since his mother was from Maiduguri and he was born in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Is It Unlaw For To Claim my mother's tribal origin In Nigeria by Newton85: 6:32pm On Aug 18, 2021
It's very normal and possible in the South West. I don't know about other regions though.
Re: Is It Unlaw For To Claim my mother's tribal origin In Nigeria by Christistruth00: 6:33pm On Aug 18, 2021
Newton85:
It's very normal and possible in the South West. I don't know about other regions though.

It was common among Yorubas even before Colonisation
Re: Is It Unlaw For To Claim my mother's tribal origin In Nigeria by Newton85: 6:49pm On Aug 18, 2021
Christistruth00:

Not true

You become a Nigerian Citizen once one of your Parents is Nigerian and if it is your mother you will naturally claim her place

Sugaba was a famous Politician from Borno who was deported to Chad by President Shagari and his Political opponents who claimed his father was from Chad
The Supreme Court ruled that Sugaba was a Nigerian since his mother was from Maiduguri and he was born in Nigeria

Well, this is about state of origin and not about Nigerian citizenship though.
Re: Is It Unlaw For To Claim my mother's tribal origin In Nigeria by NNEWIsuper: 6:53pm On Aug 18, 2021
Christistruth00:

Not true

Thats for those with dual citizenship and not for those whose parents are both Nigerians
Re: Is It Unlaw For To Claim my mother's tribal origin In Nigeria by NNEWIsuper: 6:54pm On Aug 18, 2021
Newton85:

Exactly, the case he referenced is completely different
Re: Is It Unlaw For To Claim my mother's tribal origin In Nigeria by NNEWIsuper: 6:55pm On Aug 18, 2021
Newton85:
Doesn't happen in Igboland though, infact sometimes where you're married to, you may not even have all the privileges there.
Re: Is It Unlaw For To Claim my mother's tribal origin In Nigeria by Christistruth00: 7:04pm On Aug 18, 2021
Newton85:

If your mother is Nigerian and your father is not you claim your Mothers State of Origin

People Claiming mothers home state is too common in the South West especially if the Person is living in his mums home state he is considered to be a son of the Soil he will automatically be entitled to claim everything the indigenes are claiming
Re: Is It Unlaw For To Claim my mother's tribal origin In Nigeria by JohnSin97: 7:55pm On Aug 18, 2021
Christistruth00:

This is false.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Peter Obi Live In GRA Onitsha, Anambra State Not Lagos (video) / What Will Happen If Presidential Tribunal Disqualifies Tinubu - Ex-aide To GEJ / Day With Obama In Whitehouse - Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.