Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,006 members, 7,835,410 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:47 AM

Breaking News: Wike Defies FG Signs VAT And Other Bills Into Law - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Breaking News: Wike Defies FG Signs VAT And Other Bills Into Law (2312 Views)

Rivers Crisis: Wike Defies Threats, Lands In Port Harcourt / Sanwo-Olu Signs VAT Bill Into Law / Senate Okays 7.5% VAT And 6 Other Tax Hikes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Breaking News: Wike Defies FG Signs VAT And Other Bills Into Law by Ukpaka: 11:18am On Aug 19, 2021
Breaking News: Wike Defies FG Signs VAT And Other Bills Into Law
https://247ureports.com/2021/08/breaking-news-wike-defies-fg-sign-vat-and-other-bills-into-law/
-
The Governor of Rivers State, Barrister Nyesom Wike has signed in law the Value Added Tax [VAT] into law along with other sensitive four other laws that include a ban on open grazing.

The Governor signed the Bills into law at 11am today at the Government House at Rivers State.

He signed the law in defiance to the federal government and called on other State government to do the same. He cited Lagos and Ogun State government.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Breaking News: Wike Defies FG Signs VAT And Other Bills Into Law by Charmingrascal(m): 11:35am On Aug 19, 2021
Wike is a low-key secessionist undecided

Rivers is an autonomous State grin

7 Likes

Re: Breaking News: Wike Defies FG Signs VAT And Other Bills Into Law by FarahAideed: 11:47am On Aug 19, 2021
Very reckless move by wike ...I hope this won't lead to double VAT taxation because it seems it's going to end up like that ...The Nigerian masses will bear the brunt of this and this may set a precedence for other governors going this way ...If the FG has not ceded VAT then there is not need for Wike to activate his ...this will only end up making the cost of service and good go up and the massed suffer more ..the transfer of VAT from FG to state must be done properly if not it will end up in a chaotic situation where consumers end up paying double VAT of 15 percent

1 Like

Re: Breaking News: Wike Defies FG Signs VAT And Other Bills Into Law by urbobo20(m): 11:56am On Aug 19, 2021
Delta State should follow suit
Re: Breaking News: Wike Defies FG Signs VAT And Other Bills Into Law by neonly: 11:57am On Aug 19, 2021
Wike the flyover governor
Re: Breaking News: Wike Defies FG Signs VAT And Other Bills Into Law by Lastmankc(m): 11:58am On Aug 19, 2021
Emperor wike.The man that talks as if he have boiled yam in his mouth.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Breaking News: Wike Defies FG Signs VAT And Other Bills Into Law by EngrXrix(m): 12:00pm On Aug 19, 2021
Wike is a man that knows about the law and governance. His style of running a government Is admirable.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Breaking News: Wike Defies FG Signs VAT And Other Bills Into Law by tamdun: 12:03pm On Aug 19, 2021
He's right on this one, he already won the case in court so... undecided

3 Likes

Re: Breaking News: Wike Defies FG Signs VAT And Other Bills Into Law by id911(m): 12:12pm On Aug 19, 2021
FarahAideed:
Very reckless move by wike ...I hope this won't lead to double VAT taxation because it seems it's going to end up like that ...The Nigerian masses will bear the brunt of this and this may set a precedence for other governors going this way ...If the FG has not ceded VAT then there is not need for Wike to activate his ...this will only end up making the cost of service and good go up and the massed suffer more

Is Nigeria no longer a Federal Republic? In a true Federal System, does the federating units like states require the government at the center to 'cede' VAT to them before they can make laws to collect revenues in governing their states? Do you think this country will ever move forward by trying to centralized revenue collection and distribution/sharing? Instead of applauding Wike for trying to open the eyes of other dumb states Governors, you're here villifying him.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Breaking News: Wike Defies FG Signs VAT And Other Bills Into Law by FarahAideed: 12:19pm On Aug 19, 2021
id911:

Is Nigeria no longer a Federal Republic? In a true Federal System, does the federating units like states require the government at the center to 'cede' VAT to them before they can make laws to collect revenues in governing their states? Do you think this country will ever move forward by trying to centralized revenue collection and distribution/sharing? Instead of applauding Wike for trying to open the eyes of other dumb states Governors, you're here villifying him.

Oga I have been in Nigeria long to know how all this will end ,this will only end up in double taxation ..FG will continue collecting their 7.5 , Wike will collect his own and other Governors will watch for 6 months then enact theirs and at the End off the day VAT has automatically become 15 percent and its the helpless masses that will be affected not FG or Wike .... These politicians are not doing this because they love the masses , they are all just looking for more money to spend ...This is not the best way to go about this

4 Likes

Re: Breaking News: Wike Defies FG Signs VAT And Other Bills Into Law by FarahAideed: 12:22pm On Aug 19, 2021
EngrXrix:
Wike is a man that knows about the law and governance. His style of running a government Is admirable.

I hope when the cost of good double because you are paying VAT twice you won't complain then ...make una look well oo

1 Like

Re: Breaking News: Wike Defies FG Signs VAT And Other Bills Into Law by tamdun: 12:22pm On Aug 19, 2021
FarahAideed:

Oga I have been in Nigeria long to know how all this will end ,this will only end up in double taxation ..FG will continue collecting their 7.5 , Wike will collect his own and other Governors will watch for 6 months then enact theirs and at the Endo the day VAT has automatically become 15 percent and its the helpless masses that will be affected not FG or Wike .... These politicians are not doing this because they love the masses , they are all just looking for more money to spend ...This is not the best way to go about this
Then companies/masses should go to court, we cannot pay double VAT and I prefer to give mine to the state govt
Re: Breaking News: Wike Defies FG Signs VAT And Other Bills Into Law by FarahAideed: 12:40pm On Aug 19, 2021
tamdun:

Then companies/masses should go to court, we cannot pay double VAT and I prefer to give mine to the state govt

Companies care not because they don't bear the brunt of VAT ..VAT is entirely borne by the last user of a good or service

1 Like

Re: Breaking News: Wike Defies FG Signs VAT And Other Bills Into Law by denko(m): 12:41pm On Aug 19, 2021
This is already happening in Kaduna State. There is entertainingment tax on every sales or turnover of hotel businesses
Re: Breaking News: Wike Defies FG Signs VAT And Other Bills Into Law by seunmsg(m): 12:56pm On Aug 19, 2021
tamdun:

The case is already in court and more companies may still go to court to challenge Rivers state VAT. However, the masses will bear the brunt if Wike forcefully enforces his VAT law before the Supreme Court finally rules on the matter.

While I support state governments right to collect consumption taxes such as VAT, I think it’s better not to rush this thing so as not to create confusion in the system. The case is already at the appeal court, Wike should wait for all the legal processes to be exhausted before enforcement.

2 Likes

Re: Breaking News: Wike Defies FG Signs VAT And Other Bills Into Law by yuping(m): 2:04pm On Aug 19, 2021
All this fraud call government is by not wait till Federal government transfer VAT to state if you truelly have the masses at heart now double VAT. Being stubborn as governor against the Federal government will never help the masses ask Ekiti people, Fayose is still enjoying right now is pension will aslway be paid but the poor masses he own months of salary will never receive it till kingdom come.
Woke is not fighting he is just looking for more money to add to his administration.
As for the law against this killer call herdsmen kudos.
Re: Breaking News: Wike Defies FG Signs VAT And Other Bills Into Law by SweetiliciousD: 2:14pm On Aug 19, 2021
id911:

Wike is right. If the federal government is running a federating system, it should be seen to be doing so not half done federation.

Wike is absolutely right.

Come to think of it, Southern States will collect VAT on alcohol, while sharia North who bans the consumption of alcohol gets a lion share of the southern VAT thru revenue sharing formula while pauperized Southern states receive a proportion of VAT revenue they generated. E.g Lagos and rivers state.

That is robbery.

Wike, kudos.

Biafra is here.
Re: Breaking News: Wike Defies FG Signs VAT And Other Bills Into Law by Thermodynamics(m): 2:34pm On Aug 19, 2021
urbobo20:
Delta State should follow suit
Many people for Delta State nor get sense, they don't know how to fight for their right, unlike other Niger Delta States, there are more Hausas in Delta state, licking Delta state oil every hour while their jobless youths move around shouting Warri nor de carry last, all they know how to do is to feel superior over other tribe, especially that Urhobo and Isoko.
Re: Breaking News: Wike Defies FG Signs VAT And Other Bills Into Law by Whiteshield: 2:36pm On Aug 19, 2021
FarahAideed:
Very reckless move by wike ...I hope this won't lead to double VAT taxation because it seems it's going to end up like that ...The Nigerian masses will bear the brunt of this and this may set a precedence for other governors going this way ...If the FG has not ceded VAT then there is not need for Wike to activate his ...this will only end up making the cost of service and good go up and the massed suffer more ..the transfer of VAT from FG to state must be done properly if not it will end up in a chaotic situation where consumers end up paying double VAT of 15 percent

Wike is a Life Bencher, his wife is a Judge.
You that you're advising Wike, even a dropout of law is better than you. Yet, you think you are qualified to open mouth in this matter.

If you are aggrieved, go to court.

3 Likes

Re: Breaking News: Wike Defies FG Signs VAT And Other Bills Into Law by FarahAideed: 2:41pm On Aug 19, 2021
Whiteshield:

Wike is a Life Bencher, his wife is a Judge.
You that you're advising Wike, even a dropout of law is better than you. Yet, you think you are qualified to open mouth in this matter.

If you are aggrieved, go to court.

Typical short sighted Nigerian ...what's my business you are the one that will kukumaend up paying 15 percent VAT ..Children of Chaos
Re: Breaking News: Wike Defies FG Signs VAT And Other Bills Into Law by RZArecta(m): 2:44pm On Aug 19, 2021
FarahAideed:
courts have judged that VAT should be collected by state governments and not the FIRS/FG. He's not breaking any law here, would have expected the FG to challenge the judgement in a higher court but it's obvious that with Buhari's last medical tourism, Nigeria grounded to a stand still. Let's see what happens next cool
Re: Breaking News: Wike Defies FG Signs VAT And Other Bills Into Law by Whiteshield: 2:48pm On Aug 19, 2021
FarahAideed:

Typical short sighted Nigerian ...what's my business you are the one that will kukumaend up paying 15 percent VAT ..Children of Chaos

You are a blockhead and very much talented in idiocy. You are contesting a new law, is the appropriate place to go to not the court, instead you are crying on the Supreme Court of Nairaland.
Kindly shut up if you have nothing sensible to say.

1 Like

Re: Breaking News: Wike Defies FG Signs VAT And Other Bills Into Law by FarahAideed: 2:49pm On Aug 19, 2021
RZArecta:
courts have judged that VAT should be collected by state governments and not the FIRS/FG. He's not breaking any law here, would have expected the FG to challenge the judgement in a higher court but it's obvious that with Buhari's last medical tourism, Nigeria grounded to a stand still. Let's see what happens next cool

This thing has to be handled properly or it will end up being 15 percent VAT in this lawless country... All state governors should rally the National assembly so the transition from FG VAT to state VAT is seamless so the masses don't end up paying more VAT than stipulated
Re: Breaking News: Wike Defies FG Signs VAT And Other Bills Into Law by FarahAideed: 2:55pm On Aug 19, 2021
Whiteshield:

You are a blockhead and very much talented in idiocy. You are contesting a new law, is the appropriate place to go to not the court, instead you are crying on the Supreme Court of Nairaland.
Kindly shut up if you have nothing sensible to say.

Short sighted thing , I am one of of the proponents of State receiving VAT payments instead of FG but this is not the way to go about, this will only lead to chaos .. Wike has to wait for the FIRS to obey the judgement and cede VAT to state and even before then the VAT law has to be amended by the national assembly to reflect the new realities , anything outside that will lead to chaos and double VAT taxation which will be borne by short sighted poor men like you ...there is reason why no man in your family has been able to escape mediocrity for ages and it's because of the poor short sighted thought pattern your sub human brain emits ..No wonder second hand Toyota Corolla is always your portion ..Gerrat
Re: Breaking News: Wike Defies FG Signs VAT And Other Bills Into Law by bjdon: 2:55pm On Aug 19, 2021
FarahAideed:

Wike is totally in order. We are operating a Federal system, the FG can not be collecting VAT raised in the states. What the FG needs to do is establish it's own 'Federal taxes'. The more tax Nigerians have to pay, the more they will demand accountability from their leaders.

1 Like

Re: Breaking News: Wike Defies FG Signs VAT And Other Bills Into Law by FarahAideed: 2:58pm On Aug 19, 2021
bjdon:

Wike is totally in order. We are operating a Federal system, the FG can not be collecting VAT raised in the states. What the FG needs to do is establish it's own 'Federal taxes'. The more tax Nigerians have to pay, the more they will demand accountability from their leaders.

He is in order but he has to go about this the proper way if not this is 15 percent VAT loading and it's you it will affect not FG or Wike
Re: Breaking News: Wike Defies FG Signs VAT And Other Bills Into Law by farady(m): 3:07pm On Aug 19, 2021
The state govt is very correct on this. However, both sides needs to harmonise this very fast, as companies and the masses will subjected to double vat, thereby increasing the cost of goods and services.
Re: Breaking News: Wike Defies FG Signs VAT And Other Bills Into Law by ivolt: 3:09pm On Aug 19, 2021
Charmingrascal:
Wike is a low-key secessionist undecided

Rivers is an autonomous State grin
He is a federalist.
The difference is clear.
Re: Breaking News: Wike Defies FG Signs VAT And Other Bills Into Law by id911(m): 3:28pm On Aug 19, 2021
SweetiliciousD:

Wike is right. If the federal government is running a federating system, it should be seen to be doing so not half done federation.

Wike is absolutely right.

Come to think of it, Southern States will collect VAT on alcohol, while sharia North who bans the consumption of alcohol gets a lion share of the southern VAT thru revenue sharing formula while pauperized Southern states receive a proportion of VAT revenue they generated. E.g Lagos and rivers state.

That is robbery.

Wike, kudos.

Biafra is here.
You saw I didn't bother replying their mention. So many educated illiterates in this country. SMH
Re: Breaking News: Wike Defies FG Signs VAT And Other Bills Into Law by AntiBeEmCe(m): 3:57pm On Aug 19, 2021
I don't understand the VAT bill. But the anti-open grazing bill, I'm down with that.
Re: Breaking News: Wike Defies FG Signs VAT And Other Bills Into Law by Orlaoluwayimika(m): 4:38pm On Aug 19, 2021
FarahAideed:

I ve seen ur arguments of this leading to double taxation and I would say I stand to differ.

If company pays their VAT to State govt and FIRS wants to force them to pay the same VAT then they can meet in court.
As of now their is a court decision that says companies shld pay their Vat to state govt so companies won't be going against any law that way then the court decides if they are liable to pay a double VAT.

Let FIRS follow court rulings by Defying this means they re going against the Law.

I would only blame Wike if FIRS has already appealed the rulings

Consumers would neva bear such brunt Vat is 7.5% and I won't pay anything higher than that for any commodity or service

1 Like

Re: Breaking News: Wike Defies FG Signs VAT And Other Bills Into Law by Whiteshield: 4:44pm On Aug 19, 2021
FarahAideed:

Short sighted thing , I am one of of the proponents of State receiving VAT payments instead of FG but this is not the way to go about, this will only lead to chaos .. Wike has to wait for the FIRS to obey the judgement and cede VAT to state and even before then the VAT law has to be amended by the national assembly to reflect the new realities , anything outside that will lead to chaos and double VAT taxation which will be borne by short sighted poor men like you ...there is reason why no man in your family has been able to escape mediocrity for ages and it's because of the poor short sighted thought pattern your sub human brain emits ..No wonder second hand Toyota Corolla is always your portion ..Gerrat

Look at this fool. Your who father died the other day, that is how he was in penury till Buhari came to pay pension. Your mother on the other hand is one of the parasites we all talk about, that one is an old nuisance.
You on the other hand are a product of 2 parasites. You were brought up by two corrupt people and curses are an integral part of your genetic makeup.

You want Rivers to wait for the National Assembly to repeal the VAT act, no problem. Can you tell us a single instance where a State won the FG in a matter of taxation and the state waited for the FG before enforcing the judgment?

I don't blame you though, the money meant for your education has been spent in mammy market buying pepper soup and chasing girls,now you are insulting those better than you in life. May Corolla kill you there, you foul-mouthed pig.

(1) (2) (Reply)

NWC Members Of APC Rejected $50,000 Made To Each Of Them To Accept Ahmad Lawan / See Throwback Picture Of Nnamdi Kanu Father Bestowing Chieftaincy On Tinubu. / A Pakistani Is Mayor Of London And An Indian British Prime Minister- Peter Obi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.