Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,404 members, 7,815,880 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:13 PM

Ajumobi Is An American, So Akala May Still Be Governor Of Oyo State - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ajumobi Is An American, So Akala May Still Be Governor Of Oyo State (17121 Views)

Ikpeazu's Failure To Pay Tax Makes Him Unfit To Be Governor - Supreme Court / Photo: 9ice The Politician; Meets Governor Ajumobi In Ibadan / Ibadan Flood: Ajumobi Challenges Senators For Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ajumobi Is An American, So Akala May Still Be Governor Of Oyo State by ektbear: 7:01pm On May 21, 2011
Dede1:

This is a display of acute ignorance. Included in the link you submitted are these:

“A person who is considered a citizen by more than one nation has dual citizenship. It is possible for a United States citizen to have dual citizenship, for example by birth in the United States to a parent who is a citizen of a foreign country. Anyone who becomes a naturalized U.S. citizen is required to renounce any prior citizenship during the naturalization ceremony; however, this renunciation may not necessarily be considered effective by the country of prior citizenship.
United States citizens are required by federal law to identify themselves with a U.S. passport, not with any foreign passport, when entering the US. The Supreme Court case of Afroyim v. Rusk declared that a U.S. citizen did not lose his citizenship by voting in an election in a foreign country, or by acquiring foreign citizenship, if such acts did not require him to explicitly renounce his U.S. citizenship.”
Let me spell it out very SLOWLY and CAREFULLY for you, since you are a m.oron. That oath taken? In particular, this sentence:

that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen;

However you want to interpret it, it doesn't constitute a loss of previous citizenship. That is the whole point of these series of US Supreme Court rulings.

If the USA Supreme Court case you cited had allowed unalloyed dual citizenship, the concerned citizens should be allowed into USA with the passport of another country.
Lol. So that you take is evidence of dual citizenship in the US not being permitted? That dual citizens are expected to use their US passport to enter the US? You are a dumbass. We are done speaking.

I dunno why I bother arguing with dumbasses like you. Not a very productive use of time.
Re: Ajumobi Is An American, So Akala May Still Be Governor Of Oyo State by ektbear: 7:06pm On May 21, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

3. A Nigerian governor cannot be a dual citizen

Not too clear. There is this case that Kilode references regarding Nigerian Democrats Party Vs INEC, involving a Nigerian-Canadian Presidential candidate and a Nigerian-American VP candidate.

Granted, this wasn't for governor specifically. But you'd expect the same ruling.

EDIT: See this, for example: http://www.orjikalu.com/pressdetail.php?start=125
Re: Ajumobi Is An American, So Akala May Still Be Governor Of Oyo State by ektbear: 7:12pm On May 21, 2011
ndu_chucks:

@ekt_bear, Lets wait and see then.  Everyone knows what "renounce and abjure all allegiance to Nigeria" under oath  means.  Lets hope Nigerian Supreme court will see it the way you do. If not, you may not be a Nigerian any more, you may very well be an Akata   cheesy

Heh. Being an American citizen is not the worst thing in the world. There are substantial opportunities in this country as well.
Re: Ajumobi Is An American, So Akala May Still Be Governor Of Oyo State by Dede1(m): 7:24pm On May 21, 2011
ekt_bear:

Let me spell it out very SLOWLY and CAREFULLY for you, since you are a m.oron. That oath taken? In particular, this sentence:

However you want to interpret it, it doesn't constitute a loss of previous citizenship. That is the whole point of these series of US Supreme Court rulings.

Lol. So that you take is evidence of dual citizenship in the US not being permitted? That dual citizens are expected to use their US passport to enter the US? You are a dumbass. We are done speaking.

I dunno why I bother arguing with dumbasses like you. Not a very productive use of time.

You are a fool of irredeemable case. All I have shown you came from the link the lamb dung such as you cited. The Supreme Court decisions do not necessarily set aside all USA laws or directives pertaining to a case or subject, Olodo.
Re: Ajumobi Is An American, So Akala May Still Be Governor Of Oyo State by Demoladoc: 7:25pm On May 21, 2011
This is simple. Akala has a case.
1. Counstition allows dual citizenship
2. But if you are contesting for presidency or governorship
You must renounce the other country because of conflict of interests
3. Now if you are NOT A NIGERIAN BY BIRTH but you acquire nigerian
Citizenship and then aquire that of another country as well as the nigerian
Citizenship then you automatically lose the nigerian citizenship that you aquired.

This means that Ajimobi, who is a nigerian by birth, doesnt need to renounce the
The American citiship  because hes a nugerian by birth BUT SINCE HE
WAS CONTESTING TO BE A GOVERNOR HE IS NOT ALLOWED BY LAW TO
KEEP TWO CITIZENSHIP

END OF STORY
Re: Ajumobi Is An American, So Akala May Still Be Governor Of Oyo State by ektbear: 7:31pm On May 21, 2011
Dede1:

You are a fool of irredeemable case. All I have shown you came from the link the lamb dung such as you cited. The Supreme Court decisions do not necessarily set aside all USA laws or directives pertaining to a case or subject, Olodo.

You don't have a brain; that you used this "US passport required by dual citizens" as evidence to support your position made this very clear to me.

Thus, there is no reason for you and I to interact.

We are done talking. You are welcome to have the final word, however.
Re: Ajumobi Is An American, So Akala May Still Be Governor Of Oyo State by seanet02: 7:42pm On May 21, 2011
I though this is James Onanefe Ibori whom i convicted was a British Citizen when he was a Governor?
Re: Ajumobi Is An American, So Akala May Still Be Governor Of Oyo State by emmatok(m): 8:24pm On May 21, 2011
Dede1:

This is a display of acute ignorance. Included in the link you submitted are these:

“A person who is considered a citizen by more than one nation has dual citizenship. It is possible for a United States citizen to have dual citizenship, for example by birth in the United States to a parent who is a citizen of a foreign country. Anyone who becomes a naturalized U.S. citizen is required to renounce any prior citizenship during the naturalization ceremony; however, this renunciation may not necessarily be considered effective by the country of prior citizenship.
United States citizens are required by federal law to identify themselves with a U.S. passport, not with any foreign passport, when entering the US. The Supreme Court case of Afroyim v. Rusk declared that a U.S. citizen did not lose his citizenship by voting in an election in a foreign country, or by acquiring foreign citizenship, if such acts did not require him to explicitly renounce his U.S. citizenship.”

If the USA Supreme Court case you cited had allowed unalloyed dual citizenship, the concerned citizens should be allowed into USA with the passport of another country.

You lacked basic comprehensible pedigree which made you an irrepressible dullard.

The Supreme Court Ruling on Electoral Act 2001 and Dual Citizens/Nigerian Citizens Resident Abroad

March 28, 2002 Supreme Court Ruling on the Electoral Law 2001 with with Justice Idris Legbo Kutigi reading clearly states that a[b] Nigerian by birth/descent can hold dual nationality and still contest for elected office in Nigeria.[/b]

http://www.dawodu.com/aluko18.htm
Re: Ajumobi Is An American, So Akala May Still Be Governor Of Oyo State by manny4life(m): 8:39pm On May 21, 2011
I was having the same concern; the pr
Dede1:

How do you mean by this? The Supreme Court does not set aside any at all; they look at laws and complexities involved, if any standing precedent, look at similar cases, et al. So how do you mean by the bolded? I don't know of Nigeria but you and I know very well when SCOTUS makes their decision, it's FINAL.

@ekt_bear, I was suspecting the same thing about the SCOTUS decision, but Nigerian law is a lil complex. How can you recognize dual citizenship without renouncing your citizenship? I think a good question that have been asked before is " what behavior or actions constitute renouncing your naturalization"?
Re: Ajumobi Is An American, So Akala May Still Be Governor Of Oyo State by nuslock(f): 12:00am On May 22, 2011
This is d most informative and educative thread ever! Kudo to all NL
Re: Ajumobi Is An American, So Akala May Still Be Governor Of Oyo State by lastpage: 4:18am On May 22, 2011
@manny4life
@Lastpage, I know the question asked isn't about dual citizenship but owing allegiance to another nation; however, the Supreme Court did recognize complexities in this case; a true test will be how can you be a citizen of another country without "voluntarily acquiring and taking of allegiance of that country? I'm sure the justices performed legal test of reasoning, carefully weighed in on this opinion before concurring. If the owing allegiance depends on your dual nationality and it's clear that's ok to run for elected office(i.e. if you are a born-Nigerian), and justices sided with majority, then I honestly think the man in question is in the clear
The highlighted part refers:
You can be a citizen of another country without "voluntarily acquiring" (deliberate action on your part) and taking allegiance to that country THROUGH CITIZENSHIP BY BIRTH!
That is, when your parents giv birth to you in the US, for example. It is "AUTOMATIC". You have no say, not your problem, as a baby! wink

Having said that MOST PEOPLE are still missing the POINT!

This case has NOTHING to do with "dual citizenship".
It is legal and acceptable both in Nigeria and U.S. Lets not waste time on that angle please

The issue that is key in this argument is: The Nigerian constitution says: If you VOLUNTARILY ACQUIRE (Naturalization) CITIZENSHIP OF ANOTHER COUNTRY AND SWEAR ALLEGIANCE TO IT, YOU CANT BE A GOVERNOR IN NIGERIA.

The TEST is whether Ajumobi fulfills those "Red Areas" of my last paragraph!

NOTE: He has said that he did NOT acquire (Not an) American citizenship; just legal Residence.
In which case, he could not have sworn allegiance to another country!

Anything from the above claim, he will certainly have gone foul of the constitution.

As for others like Bukola, Ibori, Mark, Everyday for the thief, "Just one day" for the owner! About time! grin

Personal Opinion: I think the issue of conflict of interest is what the constitution (like hat of the U.S also) is trying to prevent!
No wonder these our political rulers dont give a darn about the country's development! They dont have "its interest" upper-mos in their heart!

Nuff said.

BTW: Ekt-bear, why do you result to vulgarity, so easily? Calm down naaah?
Re: Ajumobi Is An American, So Akala May Still Be Governor Of Oyo State by Kilode1: 5:55am On May 22, 2011
lastpage:

@manny4life The highlighted part refers:
You can be a citizen of another country without "voluntarily acquiring" (deliberate action on your part) and taking allegiance to that country THROUGH CITIZENSHIP BY BIRTH!
That is, when your parents giv birth to you in the US, for example. It is "AUTOMATIC". You have no say, not your problem, as a baby! wink

Having said that MOST PEOPLE are still missing the POINT!

This case has NOTHING to do with "dual citizenship".
It is legal and acceptable both in Nigeria and U.S. Lets not waste time on that angle please

The issue that is key in this argument is: The Nigerian constitution says: If you VOLUNTARILY ACQUIRE (Naturalization) CITIZENSHIP OF ANOTHER COUNTRY AND SWEAR ALLEGIANCE TO IT, YOU CANT BE A GOVERNOR IN NIGERIA.

The TEST is whether Ajumobi fulfills those "Red Areas" of my last paragraph!

NOTE: He has said that he did NOT acquire (Not an) American citizenship; just legal Residence.
In which case, he could not have sworn allegiance to another country!

Anything from the above claim, he will certainly have gone foul of the constitution.

As for others like Bukola, Ibori, Mark, Everyday for the thief, "Just one day" for the owner! About time! grin

Personal Opinion: I think the issue of conflict of interest is what the constitution (like hat of the U.S also) is trying to prevent!
No wonder these our political rulers dont give a darn about the country's development! They dont have "its interest" upper-mos in their heart!

Nuff said.

{I know Ajimobi said he's not a US citizen}

Lastpage I get your point, but what do you think about the judgement below and it's implications for a Nigerian with dual US/Nigerian citizenship who might want to contest for Governorship? first, I will give my opinion on the issue;

MY OPINION: It will be unfair for the Nigerian Supreme Court to rule that a Nigerian born in Nigeria cannot become a Governor or even President simply because they took an administrative oath of allegiance and naturalization in America. I suspect they will agree with Judge Chikere on this issue.

Why: Nigeria is not America, most people's ancestral tie to The Nigerian space clearly goes beyond that yeye 1914 British amalgamation. I will even argue that a Nigerian with Nigerian born parents should be able to contest for any elective post, this is in line with section 28 which automatically gave them Nigerian citizenship because of their parents.

Nigerians with Nigerian ancestry are like Aboriginal American Indians IMO, they are citizens by default. If a NIGERIAN HAS NOT EXPRESSLY RENOUNCED THEIR CITIZENSHIP OFFICIALLY THROUGH A DESIGNATED NIGERIAN AUTHORITY, I see no reason why we should deny them ANY citizenship rights. Except they committed a crime that can nullify that privilege.

MY OPINION: While I understand the issue of CONFLICT OF INTEREST, I think we also have to consider that in the last 30 to 40 decades we have seen an unprecedented economic migration -brain drain- of the Nigerian middle class into North America and Europe. It will be a sad and injurious public policy/Law if the Nigerian Supreme Court gives a ruling that will essentially turn those people into second class Nigerian citizens with no chance of competing for the highest elective post in their country of birth and state of origin. Thereby denying us the opportunity we can derive from their expertise and knowledge.

I'll repeat, Nigeria is not America, This country was created differently and the peculiarities of that creation must be considered. Although I am not a Naturalized Citizen of any country, If I were one, I will like to read the justification for such a ruling for naturalized US citizens who were born In Nigeria, considering that my ancestry predates the present geographical expression called Nigeria. I will definitely want to challenge such decision by campaigning for a constitutional amendment.

To also stress how such a ruling will unduly discriminate against Nigerian born naturalized US citizens for example, We must consider the fact that they can never become US presidents, due to the provisions of Section 1 of Article Two of the United States Constitution. So in essence, they get denied an opportunity to aspire to the the highest offices by both countries! (i guess that also shows that their oath to America get K-leg sef undecided  )

I will like to also point out the bolded part of this provision in the Nigerian Constitution:

"
137(1) A person shall not be qualified for election to the office of President

if— (a)  [b]subject to the provisions of Section 28 of this Constitution,
he has

voluntarily acquired the citizenship of a country other than Nigeria or,

except in such cases as may be prescribed by the National Assembly, he has

made a declaration of allegiance to such other country"[/b]

Does that mean that they can go ahead and contest if they fulfill the citizenship eligibility requirements of section 28? because that will make a lot of sense.

Finally, this would have been an interesting legal drama to watch, unfortunately, Ajimobi (by his own admission), is not a US citizen. I wish he was a Naturalized US citizen so this case can get to the Supreme Court and help us in the process of perfecting our laws.

See the NDP candidates Vs INEC case below;

http://www.nigerianmuse.com/important_documents/?u=Odidi_Bello_Dual_Citizenship_Judgement.htm
Re: Ajumobi Is An American, So Akala May Still Be Governor Of Oyo State by bkbabe97y(m): 6:01am On May 22, 2011
Jesus! Dede1 is a freaking mo*ron!
Re: Ajumobi Is An American, So Akala May Still Be Governor Of Oyo State by MrInfo1(m): 2:26pm On May 23, 2011
i dnt know y akala n co r disturbn there self, if the worst is to happen, his deputy will step in as de governor elect undecided
Re: Ajumobi Is An American, So Akala May Still Be Governor Of Oyo State by dearzi(f): 3:45pm On May 23, 2011
Whatever the case is, I think the man should still be allowed some degree of privacy- it's very unprofessional of the writer to put his SSN and address on full blast, that's very reckless of whoever dug it up! angry
Re: Ajumobi Is An American, So Akala May Still Be Governor Of Oyo State by nethacker(m): 6:11pm On May 23, 2011
dearzi:

Whatever the case is, I think the man should still be allowed some degree of privacy- it's very unprofessional of the writer to put his SSN and address on full blast, that's very reckless of whoever dug it up! angry
my mind exactly.
utter foolishness on the part of the poverty-stricken writer. embarassed embarassed
Alao christopher Akala, a dismissed police officer turned governor,who had bleached his intestines n brain, u r a looser in dis case. Just go n open a bleaching cream factory with d looted funds. lipsrsealed
Re: Ajumobi Is An American, So Akala May Still Be Governor Of Oyo State by ektbear: 12:55am On May 24, 2011
lastpage:

My bad man. It is annoying when someone pretends to speak authoritatively about something they clearly have no clue about. Like Dede1 just did.
Re: Ajumobi Is An American, So Akala May Still Be Governor Of Oyo State by manny4life(m): 1:52am On May 24, 2011
@lastpage

I understand but Nigeria constitution is really confusing and should be amended. Natural born citizens can never be banished from their home country even though they gave it up initially. If I cannot run for President et.al in Nigeria and U.S., like someone said, I'm short changed. There should be an exception for Nigerian [b]born [/b]citizens. Besides, how can the other team prove whether he's a U.S. citizen or not? The U.S. embassy is the wrong agency and cannot do that for them if they wanted to prove it.

As for his SSN, I really don't think that's his Social; where did they obtain documents containing his social? IMO, I think that's publicity stunt on the writer with some made up number. Anyway if that's his social, I hope he has Lifelock subscription and Credit Alert because he will be needing it.
Re: Ajumobi Is An American, So Akala May Still Be Governor Of Oyo State by lastpage: 3:07am On May 24, 2011
@ekt-bear: You really bad-man! (takes a cane and whacks his ar*se  wink grin )

@Manny4life and Kilode?:
I agree with you that it seems like a "double jeopardy", considering especially that someone with an ignoble past (and even present) like Alao akala (A.k.a Soyoyo! grin ) could aspire and was a Governor!
I guess one has to think twice before taking that foreign citizenship plunge.

Having said that, l guess there is a fundamental reason for:
1.) Swearing allegiance
2.) Ensuring that only "born citizens" can aspire to be Presidents (in U.S and Nigeria as well).

And there is also this thing called "By default".
If you are "A", then by default, you CANNOT be "B".
I guess the "reasoning" behind this position is that having "sworn allegiance" to another country, (something that is both avoidable and voluntary), your "allegiance to another country (your home country) might be suspect.

In a case of war lets say between Nigeria and Ghana (for someone with dual citizenship of both, for analysis sake), if both Countries "DRAFT" you into the army: Which country do you shaft (remember your allegiance and what it stands for, legally and morally!) and on which side do you fight?

This is what "l think" the constitution is trying to avoid.

BTW: Thank God Ajumobi is not affected otherwise, l would rather "rap-shure" than see another 4yrs of "soyoyo"!
grin

My 10cent
Re: Ajumobi Is An American, So Akala May Still Be Governor Of Oyo State by yinks702: 2:16pm On Oct 11, 2011
The whole case is a farce. If Akala's lawyers have an idea what the position of the law is as stated in sec.28 of the constitution they should not have brought the action. The law in Nigeria is very clear you can acquire citizenship by birth, registration and through marriage. Dual citizenship is allowed in Nigeria as passed by the Babangida govt. You are only excluded from public positions like the presidency, gov etc if you have dual citizenship and you aquired your Nigerian citizen otherwise by birth. Ajumobi is a Nigerian by birth having acquired same from his parents, not by registration or any other means. The sections the Akala goons have based their claim on are subject to the section 28 and should be read in tandem with the section 28 not in isolation. I believe you get your silk, SAN, as a result of your achievements as a lawyer, but anyway sha anything goes in Nigeria. These guys are just milking him and he is a fool anyway.
Re: Ajumobi Is An American, So Akala May Still Be Governor Of Oyo State by mikiontop: 4:49pm On Jan 18, 2012
Eziachi or what ever your name is, I want to use this opportunity to warn you to stop circulating fake and unverified information about people you know nothing about. Chief Dr B.M Amalaha is till alive. Let me remind you that the man in question also contested for the federal house of representative and still won afterwards. This is how you fake bloggers cause problems with you fake stories.
Dr. Amalaha is still alive, he is retired and lives here in the United State of America with is family. I am forwarding this rejoinder to the owners of this forum and we the Amalaha family demand an apology for this insult to our family. 
Amalaha P. Emeka.

Let me give you guys a gist from the past that has a small bearing to this case. After the 1979 gubernatorial election in the old Imo state. Chief Sam Mbakwe was the governor elect but after the swearing in, both the GNPP candidate (Chief Nnanna Ukaegbu) and his NPN counterpart (Chief Nwakanma Okoro) respectvely went to court to contest Mbakwe's continued sitting as the Imo state governor on the basis that his deputy Mr Bernard Amanaha has issues with his tax declaration.

At the supreme court, the justices ruled in favour of both NPN/GNPP candidates that Mbakwe's deputy tax payment declaration was flawed but however ruled that the mandate still stand and gave Mbakwe/NPP the choice to choose another person as the new deputy governor as the court dropped Mr Amalaha.

Mbakwe/NPP then chose a member of the state house of assembly (Chief Isaac Uzoigwe) as the new deputy governor of Imo State and he was sworn in a week later. Unfortunately the dropped former deputy governor Mr Amalaha, never survived the shock and died less than a year later.

Nigeria law is a backside, if not, the worst case scenario will be that the deputy governor will be propped up to becomes the new governor.

But looking at the Abacha's constitution, Akala has no single case
1. Ajimobi is a Nigerian by birth
2. Aimobi never at anytime renouced his Nigerian citizenship by birth, irrespective of his naturalization, if he indeed did naturalized.

Just even common sense will tell you that the writers of that Abacha constitution has their children with dual nationalities, which they considered in the past as a privilege over other Nigeria.  And knowing this people for their selfish interest first, do you really think they will do anything that will preclude their own children from power in future?

Bankole, David Mark, Ibori and my own cousin who was governor for 8 years are few examples of those with dual nationalities in higher offices and if you think that their opponents some how forgot to use it against them, you must be kidding me, especially in nigeria where power is the tonic to everything.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

State Congresses: Tension In APC / NJC Recommends Sack Of Justice Rita Ofili-ajumogobia & Justice James T. Agbadu / Court Okays Supplementary Elections In Adamawa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.