Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,442 members, 7,846,817 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 01:40 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (343) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1213154 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (340) (341) (342) (343) (344) (345) (346) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ray7878: 5:04pm On Mar 25, 2022
tushqueen:

Which Nigerian no know tufiakwa? U sure say u be naija, lol

Lol.. I am Nigerian now. But now learning yoruba properly. Both my parents are from Ondo state, born and bred in the UK. I know some Yoruba words though. I joined here to mix and learn more about Nigerian mannerism.

19 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dubaiprince: 5:51pm On Mar 25, 2022
Hello everyone,

Trust we are enjoying the sunshine. Sorry to take us back to the mortgage discussion. I am just curious to know what role the kind of bank you use play to help your mortgage case better. I would imagine the bank one uses may offer you the best deal around in such a situation (not all cases obviously).

I think it is a known fact that Barclays have a low risk appetite. I have been using them to receive salary for over a year and what I could get was just a £260 limit credit card to which I have applied for increased limits and they have repeatedly bounced despite salary increases. My colleagues get 3k with HSBC and 5k with Natwest with unbelievable interest rates upon account opening. Though I applied for BA Amex in February and got 10k.

So my question is which banks are most likely to give you the best deals whilst 'generous' with the mortgage amount when you begin to shop for it. make I know if time don reach to carry my banking relationship elsewhere now we are still saving for deposit.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ray7878: 6:00pm On Mar 25, 2022
dubaiprince:
Hello everyone,

Trust we are enjoying the sunshine. Sorry to take us back to the mortgage discussion. I am just curious to know what role the kind of bank you use play to help your mortgage case better. I would imagine the bank one uses may offer you the best deal around in such a situation (not all cases obviously).

I think it is a known fact that Barclays have a low risk appetite. I have been using them to receive salary for over a year and what I could get was just a £260 limit credit card to which I have applied for increased limits and they have repeatedly bounced despite salary increases. My colleagues get 3k with HSBC and 5k with Natwest with unbelievable interest rates upon account opening. Though I applied for BA Amex in February and got 10k.

So my question is which banks are most likely to give you the best deals whilst 'generous' with the mortgage amount when you begin to shop for it. make I know if time don reach to carry my banking relationship elsewhere now we are still saving for deposit.

Not sure why your Barclay card limit is so low. How good is your credit scoring with Trans union and Equifax?

What I found out with Mortgages is the bank that you expect to offer you a good mortgage probably wouldn’t. I had bank with Halifax for 17 years, ask them for a mortgage and they didn’t give me one, who did I end up with? Halifax (After getting a mortgage advisor to sort everything out).
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Poanan: 6:20pm On Mar 25, 2022
Good evening elders. If a company funds my dbs for me. Will I be sent the physical copy of the DBS?

Intend using it to apply for another support job.

Kindly assist with information
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ray7878: 6:31pm On Mar 25, 2022
Poanan:
Good evening elders. If a company funds my dbs for me. Will I be sent the physical copy of the DBS?

Intend using it to apply for another support job.

Kindly assist with information

Yes 100%, is it an enhanced one or basic? Either way you would get a copy. If it’s an enhance one I would advised you to do a year subscription. And register the copy that you get on the sub.

So that in future when any one offers you a job you wouldn’t have to wait for 3-6 months in some cases before your DBS arrives.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Poanan: 6:36pm On Mar 25, 2022
Ray7878:

Yes 100%, is it an enhanced one or basic? Either way you would get a copy. If it’s an enhance one I would advised you to do a year subscription. And register the copy that you get on the sub.

So that in future when any one offers you a job you wouldn’t have to wait for 3-6 months in some cases before your DBS arrives.

3 to 6 months? It is the enhanced one. My friends are getting theirs within one week. Although they paid themselves through ucheck. dont know why mine is taking so long and i did mine through ucheck.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Estroller: 6:42pm On Mar 25, 2022
Best to approach mortgage brokers, they will scour the market for you and get you a deal that suits your individual circumstances.

dubaiprince:
Hello everyone,

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 8:28pm On Mar 25, 2022
dubaiprince:
Hello everyone,

You're not limited to taking out a mortgage with only Barclays because you bank there.
When the time comes and you feel you've got a deposit (with house prices being the way they are, its a moving target of sorts), find a mortgage broker. They're invaluable. Pay a fee if necessary.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by umarwy(m): 9:40pm On Mar 25, 2022
KOVIC19COVID20:

#IfYouKnowYouKnow!

@demdad

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 10:29pm On Mar 25, 2022
nice2men:
How can a student already in UK bring his over 18 years old Austistic daughter into the UK as a dependant?
Pls help.

Make it 17 and you are good to go

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ray7878: 11:19pm On Mar 25, 2022
Poanan:

3 to 6 months? It is the enhanced one. My friends are getting theirs within one week. Although they paid themselves through ucheck. dont know why mine is taking so long and i did mine through ucheck.

Yep if you are the unlucky one then you could wait up until 3 to 6 months before you get your DBS. I had a job offer and by the time my DBS came through I had already had a promotion at my work. So waited over 9 months for nothing, since that time I do the yearly £13 sub, I have job twice since it happened to me, and my new employers were about to check my DBS within a minute, rather than wait until whenever it turns up.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Poanan: 12:51am On Mar 26, 2022
Ray7878:

Yep if you are the unlucky one then you could wait up until 3 to 6 months before you get your DBS. I had a job offer and by the time my DBS came through I had already had a promotion at my work. So waited over 9 months for nothing, since that time I do the yearly £13 sub, I have job twice since it happened to me, and my new employers were about to check my DBS within a minute, rather than wait until whenever it turns up.
Hmmmm thanks fot the update.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by BorisJohnson(f): 1:21am On Mar 26, 2022
LagosismyHome:

Make it 17 and you are good to go

Honorable… off the mic
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by wallg123: 7:40am On Mar 26, 2022
[quote author=Sweetstezy post=111376911][/quote]

Kingston has good transportation links so it’s not far at all. You can live 1hr away from Kingston university . Also your husband can live 2hrs away and still work as a banker in London. These days most bankers I know work remotely (from home) so you guys don’t need to live in London….

But I love Bournemouth that’s my retirement city angry
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Adebayo82: 8:14am On Mar 26, 2022
Good morning everyone,
I need more info and contribution towards the tier 4 visa switch to tier 2 or skilllled worker visa. When is likely for me to push for this? my master program is less than seven months to complete. Also, I read it on Ukvi website that tier 2 application must be submitted 2 to 3 month before tier 4 student visa expired.
Some professional job am applying for now, fine the employer were facisnating with my years of experience and the skill. But the my blocker is issue of 20hrs restrictions for BRP stuff. I have done many interviews but they keep on saying the role is for full time, and the menial work somebody is doing all around could not lifted one to the right path neither career advancement, is just to cater for bills and other miscellaneous. moreover, CoS is needed from employer if I want to apply for tier 2 visa even though am paying the application fees. please shed more light all the elder in the house who has climb the ladder before now.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 8:34am On Mar 26, 2022
Adebayo82:
Good morning everyone,
I need more info and contribution towards the tier 4 visa switch to tier 2 or skilllled worker visa. When is likely for me to push for this? my master program is less than seven months to complete. Also, I read it on Ukvi website that tier 2 application must be submitted 2 to 3 month before tier 4 student visa expired.
Some professional job am applying for now, fine the employer were facisnating with my years of experience and the skill. But the my blocker is issue of 20hrs restrictions for BRP stuff. I have done many interviews but they keep on saying the role is for full time, and the menial work somebody is doing all around could not lifted one to the right path neither career advancement, is just to cater for bills and other miscellaneous. moreover, CoS is needed from employer if I want to apply for tier 2 visa even though am paying the application fees. please shed more light all the elder in the house who has climb the ladder before now.

Look for a beautiful British born ........... smiley

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Darsty99: 1:35pm On Mar 26, 2022
BorisJohnson:

Honorable… off the mic
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 2:13pm On Mar 26, 2022
Adebayo82:
Good morning everyone,
Just be patient, start applying for jobs closer to your graduation date. I’m guessing you’ll be done in September. You can go full gear for Job applications in June/July and let them know you’ll be done in September and can work full time. It all depends on how you sell it to them and how you sell yourself. There’s also the option of applying for graduate roles and sometimes, these employers can hire you now and wait till you are done for you to start.
Check out https://www.pareto.co.uk
https://www.gradcracker.com
https://www.milkround.com

14 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by wallg123: 3:20pm On Mar 26, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Look for a beautiful British born ........... smiley
Badman in Dior grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by penurypredator(m): 4:06pm On Mar 26, 2022

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by icon8: 4:26pm On Mar 26, 2022
I know it’s really not my business, nor anyone’s, for that matter. But I thought I’d sound a note of caution about credit cards. Please, please, and please, only get a credit card if you really need one and you understand what you are getting into. Nothing ruins lives and dreams in the western world than debt and credit related issues. You see that plenty money you suddenly have access to? Think twice before you touch it, and be double sure you know what you are doing. Otherwise, please stay away from it, to avoid stories that touch. If you however genuinely need one, do a lot of research and avail yourself of the technical knowledge and understanding of how a credit card works before you apply for one. Please don’t join the bandwagon or do it because you see others doing it. Everyone’s circumstances are different, and like someone used to say on part 1 of this thread, it’s not a credit card, it’s a debt card. Thank you for your time.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 4:27pm On Mar 26, 2022
penurypredator:

Thanks for the link. Got £12000

When did you apply?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 4:28pm On Mar 26, 2022
icon8:
I know it’s really not my business, nor anyone’s, for that matter. But I thought I’d sound a note of caution about credit cards. Please, please, and please, only get a credit card if you really need one and you understand what you are getting into. Nothing ruins lives and dreams in the western world than debt and credit related issues. You see that plenty money you suddenly have access to? Think twice before you touch it, and be double sure you know what you are doing. Otherwise, please stay away from it, to avoid stories that touch. If you however genuinely need one, do a lot of research and avail yourself of the technical knowledge and understanding of how a credit card works before you apply for one. Like someone used to say on part 1 of this thread, it’s not a credit card, it’s a debt card. Thank you for your time.

Facts smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 4:31pm On Mar 26, 2022
wallg123:

Badman in Dior grin

I no say anything o ....... Remember the girl in ipanema..... cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by wonlasewonimi: 4:52pm On Mar 26, 2022
penurypredator:

Thanks for the link. Got £12000

Nice one! Happy spending grin if Kwam1 praise you in a owambe and your head starts swelling, you can now drop your long number wink
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 4:55pm On Mar 26, 2022
wonlasewonimi:

Nice one! Happy spending grin if Kwam1 praise you in a owambe and your head starts swelling, you can now drop your long number wink

I'll use your referral when I'm ready o

Someone mentioned that they'd give points to both parties or something
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by wonlasewonimi: 5:00pm On Mar 26, 2022
hustla:

I'll use your referral when I'm ready o

Someone mentioned that they'd give points to both parties or something

it's not my referral o
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 5:06pm On Mar 26, 2022
wonlasewonimi:

it's not my referral o

Errr for the Amex naw
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by wonlasewonimi: 5:10pm On Mar 26, 2022
hustla:

Errr for the Amex naw

Modified it now to my referral, it was just a generic link before
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by BouharryArtikou: 5:17pm On Mar 26, 2022
A quick question please.
We are doing a massive decluttering of our house.
We have 3 Large Ghana-must-Go bags containing our used clothes . These clothes still have a lot of life in them- some are still with tags...
I have put them in 3 Ghana must go baggs, and each of them weigh 25Kg.

If I want to ship them to Nigeria (It will be useful for Internally displaced persons in my state). Does anyone have any recommendations? Shipping them to Abuja?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 5:45pm On Mar 26, 2022
Ray7878:

Lol.. I am Nigerian now. But now learning yoruba properly. Both my parents are from Ondo state, born and bred in the UK. I know some Yoruba words though. I joined here to mix and learn more about Nigerian mannerism.

(1) (2) (3) ... (340) (341) (342) (343) (344) (345) (346) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.