Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,775 members, 7,851,641 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 02:56 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (344) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1219889 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (341) (342) (343) (344) (345) (346) (347) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 5:48pm On Mar 26, 2022
wonlasewonimi:

Modified it now to my referral, it was just a generic link before

OK no issues cool
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 5:50pm On Mar 26, 2022
icon8:
I know it’s really not my business, nor anyone’s, for that matter. But I thought I’d sound a note of caution about credit cards. Please, please, and please, only get a credit card if you really need one and you understand what you are getting into. Nothing ruins lives and dreams in the western world than debt and credit related issues. You see that plenty money you suddenly have access to? Think twice before you touch it, and be double sure you know what you are doing. Otherwise, please stay away from it, to avoid stories that touch. If you however genuinely need one, do a lot of research and avail yourself of the technical knowledge and understanding of how a credit card works before you apply for one. Please don’t join the bandwagon or do it because you see others doing it. Everyone’s circumstances are different, and like someone used to say on part 1 of this thread, it’s not a credit card, it’s a debt card. Thank you for your time.

Indeed..... It's a debt card ...... Change of financial circumstances ...... BOOM .......

That debt card becomes a nightmare........ cheesy

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ray7878: 5:51pm On Mar 26, 2022
Evaberry:

That’s nice, can I send a pm

Of course mate.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 5:59pm On Mar 26, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Indeed..... It's a debt card ...... Change of financial circumstances ...... BOOM .......

That debt card becomes a nightmare........ cheesy

If you don't use it, no issues na Abi?

Think it's best to use it only if you have that cash at hand already

My thoughts though
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 6:05pm On Mar 26, 2022
hustla:

If you don't use it, no issues na Abi?

Think it's best to use it only if you have that cash at hand already

My thoughts though

Best to use it, so you don't lose it......... cheesy

The bank can withdraw debt cards, without explanations ...........

We must just remain financially intelligent....... smiley
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by penurypredator(m): 6:27pm On Mar 26, 2022
hustla:

When did you apply?
Today actually.
Whole process took less than 10 mins.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 6:42pm On Mar 26, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Best to use it, so you don't lose it......... cheesy

The bank can withdraw debt cards, without explanations ...........

We must just remain financially intelligent....... smiley

shocked

If they withdraw it, will it affect any effect on credit score?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 6:42pm On Mar 26, 2022
penurypredator:

Today actually.

Nice one
Thanks

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 6:59pm On Mar 26, 2022
hustla:

shocked

If they withdraw it, will it affect any effect on credit score?

Yes ....... wink
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 7:03pm On Mar 26, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Yes ....... wink

cheesy

I'll wait till my hand is a bit strong before going down that lane
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by gistbite(f): 7:17pm On Mar 26, 2022
Lexusgs430:

I don't agree with your position........... grin

You're either so unlucky and I have been very lucky ...... Luck of almost 30 years, must be divine........ cheesy

Are you in your 50s?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 7:30pm On Mar 26, 2022
gistbite:

Are you in your 50s?

That would be telling......... wink

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Yomyom12: 7:40pm On Mar 26, 2022
Safeob27:
Hi guys, please permit me to post this question here, I just need advice from people already living in the UK

Please I have offers from Bournemouth university and Kingston university to study Adult nursing msc and I am having trouble deciding which to pick . I am well aware that Kingston is close to London so rent is so high but my husband is a banker and feels there would be more opportunities for him closer to London. Now if I pick Kingston are there areas with affordable rent we can live in , that is not so far from school ?

Please I would love to hear from people who have lived in Bournemouth or surrey please

Thank you

Please, can I connect with you on WhatsApp, I really need help on how to apply for nursing. Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by gistbite(f): 7:45pm On Mar 26, 2022
ShalewaT:

Thank you. I have created an account since, I get notifications about new jobs too but most are full time permanent ones.
Its difficult getting into care jobs too because I have no experience and driver's license.

Most care jobs don’t need experience as they will train you. Try searching for Agencies in your area and call or go to their office.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by gistbite(f): 8:17pm On Mar 26, 2022
Lexusgs430:

That would be telling......... wink

Lol okay. Because the way you are dropping 27years like it’s nothing
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 8:21pm On Mar 26, 2022
gistbite:

Lol okay. Because the way you are dropping 27years like it’s nothing

When you look back, if you don't turn to salt..... You would take life experiences, like a badge of honour or dishonour. .......... wink

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 8:58pm On Mar 26, 2022
gistbite:

Most care jobs don’t need experience as they will train you. Try searching for Agencies in your area and call or go to their office.

Which side in the UK are you?

The ones in Middlesbrough sabi do yanga no be small

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by isialo(f): 10:12pm On Mar 26, 2022
I grab this. Thanks!

BorisJohnson:
On Building Credit in the UK

A fundamental mistake I have seen a lot of folks here make is the assumption that a Credit Card is 'a must' to improve credit score.
I dare say this is not necessarily true. Whereas having a credit card is a 'plus' it is not the 'koko' thing.

People should note that there is something called: CREDIT FILE. This is more important than a credit card.
You can have a fantastic (impeccable) credit score - Excellent without a single credit CARD.

Things to do:
1. Get your name/records into the 'system'. Apply for a provisional driving license (even if you don't intend to drive). It is a fantastic means of identification.

2. Discard that Lebara or Lycamobile PAYG SIM which you have heard so much about. Get the cheapest SIM-Only contract (O2, Three, EE, Virgin, Vodafone etc...). These can be as cheap as £5 per month (with unlimited calls and SMS, and up to 3GB data).

3. If you are a Nigerian, you are qualified to vote in UK Elections. Register to vote.

4. It is a great idea to have at least 1 utility bill in your name (water or electricity or gas).

5. If you are so hard-pressed on getting a 'DEBT card' (aka ~Credit Card), do not despise the days of little beginnings. See if you can get a Store card. For example, my first 'credit' card was Argos store card. I went to buy £12 worth of hair clipper. They lady at the till suggested that I can buy now and pay later. with zero fees. That was how Argos gave me my first credit card - loaded with £200. As of today, I have a combined credit limit of £32,000 (across 4 cards).

Bottom line: Get your details into the system. So that when "credit checks" are performed during your credit card application, they will find your name, linked to an address.

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by isialo(f): 10:29pm On Mar 26, 2022
Thanks for this

Ray7878:

Yes 100%, is it an enhanced one or basic? Either way you would get a copy. If it’s an enhance one I would advised you to do a year subscription. And register the copy that you get on the sub.

So that in future when any one offers you a job you wouldn’t have to wait for 3-6 months in some cases before your DBS arrives.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by isialo(f): 10:34pm On Mar 26, 2022
Amarathripple0:

Just be patient, start applying for jobs closer to your graduation date. I’m guessing you’ll be done in September. You can go full gear for Job applications in June/July and let them know you’ll be done in September and can work full time. It all depends on how you sell it to them and how you sell yourself. There’s also the option of applying for graduate roles and sometimes, these employers can hire you now and wait till you are done for you to start.
Check out https://www.pareto.co.uk
https://www.gradcracker.com
https://www.milkround.com

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by gistbite(f): 10:45pm On Mar 26, 2022
hustla:

Which side in the UK are you?

The ones in Middlesbrough sabi do yanga no be small

Merseyside. I actually walked in myself to apply for the job I'm currently in.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by hustla(m): 11:00pm On Mar 26, 2022
gistbite:

Nice

Seems it's just this place

Other guys aren't complaining at all
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DeeOneBangin: 11:16pm On Mar 26, 2022
Guys what's the danger of accepting a 3 year sponsorship offer? Even though the company says they will renew when due.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 11:34pm On Mar 26, 2022
Amarathripple0:

Just be patient, start applying for jobs closer to your graduation date. I’m guessing you’ll be done in September. You can go full gear for Job applications in June/July and let them know you’ll be done in September and can work full time. It all depends on how you sell it to them and how you sell yourself. There’s also the option of applying for graduate roles and sometimes, these employers can hire you now and wait till you are done for you to start.

Adebayo82
Good morning everyone,
I need more info and contribution towards the tier 4 visa switch to tier 2 or skilllled worker visa. When is likely for me to push for this? my master program is less than seven months to complete. Also, I read it on Ukvi website that tier 2 application must be submitted 2 to 3 month before tier 4 student visa expired.
Some professional job am applying for now, fine the employer were facisnating with my years of experience and the skill. But the my blocker is issue of 20hrs restrictions for BRP stuff. I have done many interviews but they keep on saying the role is for full time, and the menial work somebody is doing all around could not lifted one to the right path neither career advancement, is just to cater for bills and other miscellaneous. moreover, CoS is needed from employer if I want to apply for tier 2 visa even though am paying the application fees. please shed more light all the elder in the house who has climb the ladder before now.
The best time to start applyting for graduate roles is as soon as you start your masters. So for September start, you start your job hunt say around October, to start work around September the following year.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by BorisJohnson(f): 11:48pm On Mar 26, 2022
DeeOneBangin:
Guys what's the danger of accepting a 3 year sponsorship offer? Even though the company says they will renew when due.

The danger of not accepting a 3-year sponsorship Offer is that you could end up with a zero-year sponsorship offer.
Choose wisely.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 11:52pm On Mar 26, 2022
penurypredator:

Today actually.
Did you have to send them any documents, also have you been in the UK for long?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ray7878: 12:14am On Mar 27, 2022
icon8:
I know it’s really not my business, nor anyone’s, for that matter. But I thought I’d sound a note of caution about credit cards. Please, please, and please, only get a credit card if you really need one and you understand what you are getting into. Nothing ruins lives and dreams in the western world than debt and credit related issues. You see that plenty money you suddenly have access to? Think twice before you touch it, and be double sure you know what you are doing. Otherwise, please stay away from it, to avoid stories that touch. If you however genuinely need one, do a lot of research and avail yourself of the technical knowledge and understanding of how a credit card works before you apply for one. Please don’t join the bandwagon or do it because you see others doing it. Everyone’s circumstances are different, and like someone used to say on part 1 of this thread, it’s not a credit card, it’s a debt card. Thank you for your time.

This is a very good post. It’s always important to understand the uses or need for a CC. I use mine but I already have the cash, so it’s paid back right away. It’s just a way to build your credit profile, and make you more credit worthy when it comes to bigger things.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by penurypredator(m): 2:49am On Mar 27, 2022
Amarathripple0:

Did you have to send them any documents, also have you been in the UK for long?
Didn’t send any document. Just typed in my details like name, address e.t.c.
It got approved and I got an email saying I’ll get my card within 10 days or so.
I’ve been in the UK for only 2yrs.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by umarwy(m): 4:11am On Mar 27, 2022
gistbite:

Welcome
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 4:15am On Mar 27, 2022
DeeOneBangin:

Why do you see any danger therein?
Even if a company offers you 5 years, it's still the same thing in terms of "security" - they could still withdraw their sponsorship at any time (job loss). One could argue that the longer the offer, the more valuable the company deems the new sponsee and the less likely they will be to terminate them, which may apply in theory, but lessens the insecurity of an employer-dependent visa not at all.

Bottom line: take it. Remember you can still switch jobs at any time and the fact that you have secured employment, and sponsored employment at that, usually makes you more attractive to other employers than otherwise, all other factors being equal.

11 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Adebayo82: 6:08am On Mar 27, 2022
Thank so much brother.
I really appreciate, more blessings.

Amarathripple0:

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 6:24am On Mar 27, 2022
Adebayo82:
Good morning everyone,
I need more info and contribution towards the tier 4 visa switch to tier 2 or skilllled worker visa. When is likely for me to push for this? my master program is less than seven months to complete. Also, I read it on Ukvi website that tier 2 application must be submitted 2 to 3 month before tier 4 student visa expired.
Some professional job am applying for now, fine the employer were facisnating with my years of experience and the skill. But the my blocker is issue of 20hrs restrictions for BRP stuff. I have done many interviews but they keep on saying the role is for full time, and the menial work somebody is doing all around could not lifted one to the right path neither career advancement, is just to cater for bills and other miscellaneous. moreover, CoS is needed from employer if I want to apply for tier 2 visa even though am paying the application fees. please shed more light all the elder in the house who has climb the ladder before now.

Some employers have graduate schemes that take on fresh graduates at the end of their programs.
Those schemes usually open right at the beginning of the school year/following calendar year against the next year's summer period, i.e. if you started your masters in September 2021, there would have been available graduate schemes accepting applications around that time for employment commencing around August/September 2022.

I shouldn't think many if at all of these graduate schemes are still accepting applications (you could always check), but there is nothing really wrong with your scattershooting approach except that you may wear out your rejection tolerance buffers somewhat early.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (341) (342) (343) (344) (345) (346) (347) ... (1007)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Australian Student Visa Enquiries Part 3 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.