Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,456 members, 7,850,589 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 05:09 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) - Travel (345) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (1218535 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (342) (343) (344) (345) (346) (347) (348) ... (1007) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 8:46am On Mar 27, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

Why do you see any danger therein?
Even if a company offers you 5 years, it's still the same thing in terms of "security" - they could still withdraw their sponsorship at any time (job loss). One could argue that the longer the offer, the more valuable the company deems the new sponsee and the less likely they will be to terminate them, which may apply in theory, but lessens the insecurity of an employer-dependent visa not at all.

Bottom line: take it. Remember you can still switch jobs at any time and the fact that you have secured employment, and sponsored employment at that, usually makes you more attractive to other employers than otherwise, all other factors being equal.

I'm just wondering...if an employee on a 5 Yr sponsored visa switches to a new employer, would he have to pay the visa and its fees again?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by dustydee: 9:46am On Mar 27, 2022
mizGene:

I'm just wondering...if an employee on a 5 Yr sponsored visa switches to a new employer, would he have to pay the visa and its fees again?
During my time, it used to be 3yrs first and then additional 2 yrs extension. My employer paid for both applications but required me to sign a bond that I will refund if I left within a certain number of months. I had to pay my IHS during renewal. My spouse on the other hand had everything paid including IHS and even ILR by the employer. Now I think you can get up to 5years but if you leave, you will have to apply for a new visa and pay new fees but I think your IHS will still be valid. The new employer should ideally pay for it.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by khasm(m): 9:58am On Mar 27, 2022
penurypredator:

Didn’t send any document. Just typed in my details like name, address e.t.c.
It got approved and I got an email saying I’ll get my card within 10 days or so.
I’ve been in the UK for only 2yrs.

What shocked
The system is that porous? I mean, no document requested
The nigerian in me is asking if i can tweak my lenght of stay and job status cheesy
@lexusgs430, any implication? I know today is sunday cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Ray7878: 10:17am On Mar 27, 2022
khasm:

What shocked
The nigerian in me is asking if i can tweak my lenght of stay and job status cheesy

They don’t really ask for documents if you have a credit profile. So if your credit scoring looks good on your credit agencies, then you can get a lot of these cards without much documentations. Some would ask for proof of address (Bills dating back 3 months etc), but if your name is on the voters list then most wouldn’t.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by mizGene(f): 10:26am On Mar 27, 2022
dustydee:

During my time, it used to be 3yrs first and then additional 2 yrs extension. My employer paid for both applications but required me to sign a bond that I will refund if I left within a certain number of months. I had to pay my IHS during renewal. My spouse on the other hand had everything paid including IHS and even ILR by the employer. Now I think you can get up to 5years but if you leave, you will have to apply for a new visa and pay new fees but I think your IHS will still be valid. The new employer should ideally pay for it.
Ok, thanks. Sounds logical.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 10:57am On Mar 27, 2022
DeeOneBangin:
Guys what's the danger of accepting a 3 year sponsorship offer? Even though the company says they will renew when due.

There is no danger....after 3 years it shouldn't be hard to get the additional 2 years either with same company or another. Mainly because at that time you have proper UK relevant experience and already in the Uk

3 years or 5 years anybody can be sacked or made redundant at any time. Dont let the number of years fool you into a sense of security. Just ensure you do your work well at all times and people skills at all angles is essential too

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by TheGuyFromHR: 12:44pm On Mar 27, 2022
dustydee:

Such clauses are quite common.
They seem to be taking a new turn these days, see article below.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/mar/27/trapped-and-destitute-how-foreign-nurses-uk-dreams-turned-sour
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by BorisJohnson(f): 12:55pm On Mar 27, 2022
khasm:

What shocked

It’s not the ‘Nigerian’ in you that is asking that question. It is the Criminal in you. Banish the thoughts.

I made a post a couple of pages back. I mentioned something about being in the system.
To your ‘naked’ eyes, no checks were made. But that is not so. The OP may not have submitted any documents to the Credit card company directly. The OP however MUST have had a credit file, with address history, credit history and etc.
This is not Nigeria where you do biometrics for MTN SIM, you do biometrics for Glo SIM, you do biometrics for Etisalat SIM, you do biometrics for Econet SIM. you do biometrics for Pantami’s NIN, you do biometrics for voters card. You do biometrics for BVN. You do biometrics for passport. Yet, none of these is connected. No data sharing. No central server. No nothing.

So… banish the thought.

13 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 1:00pm On Mar 27, 2022
khasm:

What shocked

Not porous, it's organisation and the power of database........

If you tweak and they slap you with CIFAS ...... We no dey o ......
cheesy

Go to church and confess, that the fraud in you be banished......... wink

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by penurypredator(m): 1:01pm On Mar 27, 2022
khasm:

What shocked
I’m sure they did check my details with what was in my credit report and they asked a weird question towards the end which was “How old is my oldest bank account”
I was honest with that question as well.
I felt like every details I did input matches with what was on my credit report because I’m sure there’s now a hard search on my report because of this application.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by justwise(m): 1:45pm On Mar 27, 2022
BorisJohnson:

It’s not the ‘Nigerian’ in you that is asking that question. It is the Criminal in you. Banish the thoughts.

I made a post a couple of pages back. I mentioned something about being in the system.
To your ‘naked’ eyes, no checks were made. But that is not so. The OP may not have submitted any documents to the Credit card company directly. The OP however MUST have had a credit file, with address history, credit history and etc.
This is not Nigeria where you do biometrics for MTN SIM, you do biometrics for Glo SIM, you do biometrics for Etisalat SIM, you do biometrics for Econet SIM. you do biometrics for Pantami’s NIN, you do biometrics for voters card. You do biometrics for BVN. You do biometrics for passport. Yet, none of these is connected. No data sharing. No central server. No nothing.

So… banish the thought.

You are right , i applied for Amazon Platinum MasterCard recently and was not asked for any document, only my details and the card was approved because i have other credit cards and store card.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 1:50pm On Mar 27, 2022
BorisJohnson:

So… banish the thought.
I hate it when people equate Fraud to being Nigerian, that’s an insult to the rest of us who do things the right way.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by wonlasewonimi: 1:55pm On Mar 27, 2022
Khasm ma wa rogo

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 1:57pm On Mar 27, 2022
khasm:

What shocked
Please don’t do that. If you don’t have a credit profile, you can create a profile on Equifax or Experian, link the bank account where you pay most of your bills. Create another account on Creditladder and link the bank account where you pay your rent. Then link creditladder to your Experian account.

7 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 2:03pm On Mar 27, 2022
Amarathripple0:

I hate it when people equal Fraud to being Nigerian, that’s an insult to the rest of us who do things the right way.

Unfortunately, we brought it upon ourselves........ This time of Ukraine war, buhari should be receiving high profile western leaders, discussing oil and gas exports......

We can render nothing, other than fraud and corruption........ cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by khasm(m): 2:41pm On Mar 27, 2022
wonlasewonimi:
Khasm ma wa rogo

Lol,
Walahi
I knew before i ask because we can be very sanctimonious cheesy
Na me pull wayray for breast grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by khasm(m): 3:02pm On Mar 27, 2022
Amarathripple0:

Please don’t do that. If you don’t have a credit profile, you can create a profile on Equifax or Experian, link the bank account where you pay most of your bills. Create another account on Creditladder and link the bank account where you pay your rent. Then link creditladder to your Experian account.
Many thanks jare.
I never said i wanted to do that. I only asked a simple question and surprised at no doc been asked. Thats how to understand the system. People here have gotten credit card in less than 6months of been here.
Somebody mentioned he/she was asked for previous address but ignored and still applied and was issued.
Its just that we castigate ourselves too much as if we are the worst creatures on earth.
Nigerians can do too much, whether fraud or holier than thou attitude.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ABIOLAXYZ(m): 3:12pm On Mar 27, 2022
Yampotatocarrot:
@Kaylov12 and any other person who have gone through the process, I'll be having my PGCE interview next week for two schools. One is using zoom while the other will be through teams.

Please, I will love to know what to expect and how to answer the questions during the interview.

Thanks in advance

How was your interview and is there any tips you can share with us here
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 3:33pm On Mar 27, 2022
khasm:

Many thanks jare.
I never said i wanted to do that. I only asked a simple question and surprised at no doc been asked. Thats how to understand the system. People here have gotten credit card in less than 6months of been here.
Somebody mentioned he/she was asked for previous address but ignored and still applied and was issued.
Its just that we castigate ourselves too much as if we are the worst creatures on earth.
Nigerians can do too much, whether fraud or holier than thou attitude.
You’re welcome. I haven’t been here for up to 7 months and I got pre approved for a Barclays credit card and my account with them is just 5 months old. Just walk into your bank and see if it’s possible.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by DeeOneBangin: 5:05pm On Mar 27, 2022
TheGuyFromHR:

Why do you see any danger therein?
Even if a company offers you 5 years, it's still the same thing in terms of "security" - they could still withdraw their sponsorship at any time (job loss). One could argue that the longer the offer, the more valuable the company deems the new sponsee and the less likely they will be to terminate them, which may apply in theory, but lessens the insecurity of an employer-dependent visa not at all.

Bottom line: take it. Remember you can still switch jobs at any time and the fact that you have secured employment, and sponsored employment at that, usually makes you more attractive to other employers than otherwise, all other factors being equal.

LagosismyHome:

There is no danger....after 3 years it shouldn't be hard to get the additional 2 years either with same company or another. Mainly because at that time you have proper UK relevant experience and already in the Uk

3 years or 5 years anybody can be sacked or made redundant at any time. Don't let the number of years fool you into a sense of security. Just ensure you do your work well at all times and people skills at all angles is essential too

Thanks for your input, well noted and understandable. The sponsorship is for the recent Care Worker visa, what is bothering me is that the UK government changes rules and regulations. Just few months ago, care workers couldn't be sponsored and it wasn't on the shortage occupation list, what if at the time of renewal, care workers couldn't be sponsored anymore or the regulation at the time doesn't make it easy to get sponsorship. That's all I am worried about and again care work is still an unskilled job. If it were to be the likes of the Nurses and other healthcare professional jobs, maybe I wouldn't be worried.

Thanks all the same guys. I have a 5 year sponsorship offer as well, it's just that the one that is offering 3 years pays a lot more.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Yampotatocarrot(m): 5:11pm On Mar 27, 2022
ABIOLAXYZ:

How was your interview and is there any tips you can share with us here

My bad, I was waiting to finish them all before posting.

Two interviews so far, got results same day. Was successful for both, waiting for offer letter now.

Questions
School 1:
- Current time in your country?
- Why do you want to study PGDE?
- Why did you choose the University?
- Do you have any experience teaching? Share it.
- How do you ensure you carry all students in your class along?
- What are the goals of education?
- What is so important about PGDE that you'll want to go for it?

School 2:
- Pitch for your place (Why should we offer you a place in this course considering there are a lot of applicants).
- Any teaching experience? Share it.
- How would you ensure you carry students along in your class?
- What do you think are the most essential skills needed by a teacher? Explain.
- If a student comes up to you with a problem/challenge, how do you handle it?
- What course did you study in your undergraduate and where?
- How does your undergraduate course relate to the subject you're applying for?

In both cases, they ended up asking if I had any questions for them, and I asked just two questions.

Both interviews didn't last more than 30minutes. I ensured I was online three minutes to the start of each interview. I feel you'll actually know if you're making sense from the facial expression and body language of the interviewers. Interview was just like a discussion, nothing too serious. We were just gisting and laughing.

And Yes, network messed up a little, I just reconnected and continued the interview.

In both cases, the interviewers ended by telling me, "Congratulations, I'll recommend you to the school to offer you a place on the course".

Got a congratulations mail from the school between 5 - 30 minutes after the interview. Remains the formal offer letter from the postgraduate admissions office.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by LagosismyHome(f): 5:52pm On Mar 27, 2022
DeeOneBangin:

Thanks for your input, well noted and understandable. The sponsorship is for the recent Care Worker visa, what is bothering me is that the UK government changes rules and regulations. Just few months ago, care workers couldn't be sponsored and it wasn't on the shortage occupation list, what if at the time of renewal, care workers couldn't be sponsored anymore or the regulation at the time doesn't make it easy to get sponsorship. That's all I am worried about and again care work is still an unskilled job. If it were to be the likes of the Nurses and other healthcare professional jobs, maybe I wouldn't be worried.

Thanks all the same guys. I have a 5 year sponsorship offer as well, it's just that the one that is offering 3 years pays a lot more.

They can't leave people stranded like that... if any changes it will be to affect new people who haven't gotten on the scheme .

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Santa2: 5:57pm On Mar 27, 2022
DeeOneBangin:

a way around it would be to skill up to a senior carer in that period or if possibly a nurse. That would make you skilled, and make you increase your profile.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by BorisJohnson(f): 6:31pm On Mar 27, 2022
Amarathripple0:

You’re welcome. I haven’t been here for up to 7 months and I got pre approved for a Barclays credit card and my account with them is just 5 months old. Just walk into your bank and see if it’s possible.

I would suggest caution. And this is not only from My experience, but from that of many others too.
If by ‘pre approved’ you meant that Barclays Bank popped you a letter in the mail box, telling you to apply. That is not pre approval. Your application for credit card will still be subjected to credit checks. And if you do not have a credit file/credit history. You could be denied.

Like I said her before, a credit card may be important, but having a credit file is important-ter.

Let me give you an example.
Miss A arrived the UK in 2020. She picked up a free Giffgaff SIM card from a shop. She strictly uses PAYG. She lives in an All Bills inclusive flat share hence her name is not on any utilities. She isn’t registered to vote. She hasn’t registered as a resident on the Council website.

Mrs B arrives in January 2022. She had her name on utilities bill, registered to vote after 2 days of arrival in the UK. Went to her local branch of HSBC and opened a bank account. She took a 12-month SIM Only contract with O2 mobile for £7 per month. She now applied for a provisional drivers licence, and by end of February, she has a Council tax account with the council where she lives.

Between Miss A (who is now a UK ‘ancestor’ and Mrs B who is a ‘JJC’ if both apply for a credit card. There is a much, much higher chance of Mrs B getting accepted as compared to Miss A.

I don talk my own - from my experience, and that if others.

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by seunoj: 6:55pm On Mar 27, 2022
Lexusgs430:

Not porous, it's organisation and the power of database........

If you tweak and they slap you with CIFAS ...... We no dey o ......
cheesy

Go to church and confess, that the fraud in you be banished......... wink

Boss
Pls I need ur guidance on mortgage stuff in England. Steps and action to take
Thanks
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 7:13pm On Mar 27, 2022
seunoj:

Boss
Thanks

Ticha is the class monitor.......... cheesy

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Lexusgs430: 7:14pm On Mar 27, 2022
seunoj:

Boss
Thanks

I can only offer basic information........ wink
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Nobody: 7:17pm On Mar 27, 2022
BorisJohnson:

I would suggest caution. And this is not only from My experience, but from that of many others too.
If by ‘pre approved’ you meant that Barclays Bank popped you a letter in the mail box, telling you to apply. That is not pre approval. Your application for credit card will still be subjected to credit checks. And if you do not have a credit file/credit history. You could be denied.

Like I said her before, a credit card may be important, but having a credit file is important-ter.

Miss A arrived the UK in 2020. She picked up a free Giffgaff SIM card from a shop. She strictly uses PAYG. She lives in an All Bills inclusive flat share hence her name is not on any utilities. She isn’t registered to vote. She hasn’t registered as a resident on the Council website.

Mrs B arrives in January 2022. She had her name on utilities bill, registered to vote after 2 days of arrival in the UK. Went to her local branch of HSBC and opened a bank account. She took a 12-month SIM Only contract with O2 mobile for £7 per month. She now applied for a provisional drivers licence, and by end of February, she has a Council tax account with the council where she lives.

Between Miss A (who is now a UK ‘ancestor’ and Mrs B who is a ‘JJC’ if both apply for a credit card. There is a much, much higher chance of Mrs B getting accepted as compared to Miss A.

Noted.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by ABIOLAXYZ(m): 7:34pm On Mar 27, 2022
Yampotatocarrot:

My bad, I was waiting to finish them all before posting.

Two interviews so far, got results same day. Was successful for both, waiting for offer letter now.

Questions
School 1:
- Current time in your country?
- Why do you want to study PGDE?
- Why did you choose the University?
- Do you have any experience teaching? Share it.
- How do you ensure you carry all students in your class along?
- What are the goals of education?
- What is so important about PGDE that you'll want to go for it?

School 2:
- Pitch for your place (Why should we offer you a place in this course considering there are a lot of applicants).
- Any teaching experience? Share it.
- How would you ensure you carry students along in your class?
- What do you think are the most essential skills needed by a teacher? Explain.
- If a student comes up to you with a problem/challenge, how do you handle it?
- What course did you study in your undergraduate and where?
- How does your undergraduate course relate to the subject you're applying for?

In both cases, they ended up asking if I had any questions for them, and I asked just two questions.

Both interviews didn't last more than 30minutes. I ensured I was online three minutes to the start of each interview. I feel you'll actually know if you're making sense from the facial expression and body language of the interviewers. Interview was just like a discussion, nothing too serious. We were just gisting and laughing.

And Yes, network messed up a little, I just reconnected and continued the interview.

In both cases, the interviewers ended by telling me, "Congratulations, I'll recommend you to the school to offer you a place on the course".

Got a congratulations mail from the school between 5 - 30 minutes after the interview. Remains the formal offer letter from the postgraduate admissions office.

Thanks for the update
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Amarathripple0: 8:04pm On Mar 27, 2022
BorisJohnson:

Nope, this is me walking into the bank to apply on my own and getting pre approved even as a student. I do have a credit profile, you’d see from my advise to another poster and yes I am registered to vote as well. Thank you for the warning but some of us are actually learned, well informed and know what we are doing. smiley

5 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by Healhtyliving: 8:09pm On Mar 27, 2022
Follow @Ticha, read all her comments on this thread and thank me later
Lexusgs430:

Ticha is the class monitor.......... cheesy
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) by adubam(m): 8:23pm On Mar 27, 2022
My brother is securing an MBA for me in the UK for me to relocate to the UK. I'm afraid if it's a wise move or I should reject the offer. I'm married with no kid yet.

(1) (2) (3) ... (342) (343) (344) (345) (346) (347) (348) ... (1007)

General Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa Through Skilled Migration. / Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part 7 / General Australian Student Visa Enquiries Part 3

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.