Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,022 members, 7,818,024 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:04 AM

Catfish Farming: My Story - Agriculture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Catfish Farming: My Story (203388 Views)

Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* / Investment In Catfish Farming (things you need to know) / Re: Catfish Farming: My Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by ab1x: 12:11pm On Dec 16, 2012
wolllexxx: @ab1x,

Of course it's a faceless forum that's why people make larger than life claims including you.

Meanwhile, go and check: the effect of partial or total replacement of fishmeal with maggot meal in the diet of oreochromis niloticus (fashina-bombata and balogun O.). That was a publication made in the nineties quoted severally by many other researchers.

So you see oga chest pounder, I did an experiment with maggotmeal in 1994. I only got on this forum because the author had an angle I didn't think was possible. Several people like you came pounding on the guy and didn't allow him land. Their loss because those that asked nicely got the formulation through e-mail (I guess you'll now cry foul)

You see, you're the kid. I'm a fisheries graduate. I've worked with this author on my farm. I have nothing to sell. I only attack people like you who have nothing to add to the forum but boasts and addresses of other consultants.

Next, you'll be offerring coded and partial advice and dropping phone numbers for innocent victims. GETTING WARM? That's why I said you should go start your own thread.

We've seen many like you at the beginning of this thread many months ago who bashed the author while a few reasoned and turned the forum around into what it has become. It has evolved. Don't take us back to the stone age CAVEMAN.

You've achieved so much academically? Don't make me laugh. Do you know the achievements of other people on this thread? Even including this writer? Don't get me started Mr. I can't spell.

If u r civilised enough, u will know that part of the things that makes a topic interesting is the argument and counter argument aspect of it. To cap it all, u claimed u have degree in fisheries; that's childish I must confess. Several people that u have shot down on here, do u know their academic achievement? You're here bragging as if u have achieved a fit that no 1 has. I've taught SMS 101, FSS 101, ECO 205, ECO 305 free of charge for my course mates during my days in the University. I don't need to brag that I am dis and dat on here but what will be will surely be. Check all my other post, I don't think I have ever post any of my personal information on nl so there is no point in u believing that I have any hidden agenda. Obviously, that is what u have though !
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by wolllexxx: 9:01am On Dec 17, 2012
@ab1x,

Obviously you don't read that well or you don't pay attention to details.

I'm not boasting about being any kind of graduate. You said I didn't know what formulation was. That response was to school you. And again you missed the point being; Not everybody on nl are green, not everyone on nl are in this to charge people. Some do it because it feels good to assist others.

Do you know there groups on yahoo and blackberry on catfish farming? Do you think they'll admit you into any when you shoot down first, make no alternative suggestions and insist on remaining on the forum?

If you had any meaningful contribution you would have added it immediately you shot down the author. That's what a few before you did. They added value!

You're just an arm chair critic. People who critisise others without having any meaningful solution to a situation.

After this, I'll start making my own contributions as many others have been doing. You're nothing but a distraction.

If you want to learn, keep quiet and let those who know talk. That way you'll benefit.
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by saltimmy: 9:28am On Dec 17, 2012
nuclearboy: @efe22:

Feed mornings about 8am. For the rest of the day, you can feed based on demand BUT once its 4.30PM, don't feed anymore.

Oxygen levels reduce at night and ur fish therefore come to the surface to aid breathing. Overfull fish are susceptible to death from lack of oxygen and are at greater risk from predators because they are sluggish - this is why many farmers find dead fish in the mornings and don't find evenings. 4.30 allows them digest most of the food in their system before oxygen reduces and keeps them healthier

Gm
I always feed my fish around 7 30 am in the morning , 3 pm in the afternoon and 7 in the evening...they always respond very well in the morning and afternoon. For like 2 days nw, dia response to feed in d evening is nt encouraging @ all and most of dem always cum to d water surface..pls help
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by ab1x: 4:08pm On Dec 17, 2012
wolllexxx: @ab1x,

Obviously you don't read that well or you don't pay attention to details.

I'm not boasting about being any kind of graduate. You said I didn't know what formulation was. That response was to school you. And again you missed the point being; Not everybody on nl are green, not everyone on nl are in this to charge people. Some do it because it feels good to assist others.

Do you know there groups on yahoo and blackberry on catfish farming? Do you think they'll admit you into any when you shoot down first, make no alternative suggestions and insist on remaining on the forum?

If you had any meaningful contribution you would have added it immediately you shot down the author. That's what a few before you did. They added value!

You're just an arm chair critic. People who critisise others without having any meaningful solution to a situation.

After this, I'll start making my own contributions as many others have been doing. You're nothing but a distraction.

If you want to learn, keep quiet and let those who know talk. That way you'll benefit.

None is an island of knowlegde if u must know. I've since put d formula that I used in my farm on my previous post. I am willing to assist in anyway I could without charging any1 4 my knowledge. I am planning of creating a new topic to teach people how to construct earthen pond and how to rear fish from fingerlins to table size but for now I am pretty busy in the farm as I am presently constructing two earthen ponds. As regards the use of maggot, how many of it can one create to feed 3000 fish? Also, blood meal is another ingredient that is good to enchance growth of fish.
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by wolllexxx: 11:47pm On Dec 18, 2012
Maggots when raw contains more moisture and fat than fish. You can readily find them in large quantities in poultries with poor sanitation. As an earlier postor suggested, you can produce yours by gathering poultry droppings (veryavailable) in a drum or other container with a cover leaving a small opening for the flies to lay their eggs.

The small opening also helps prevent smell (similar to the pit latrine principle).

Now to the issue raised, maggots can replace all of fishmeal in fish diet. Depending on the percentage crude protein you want your fish feed to have. And you can also augment with plant protein e.g soya bean. Meaning, you may replace that quantity fishmeal represents in your compounded feed with maggot meal. The meal is produced by drying raw maggots on a metal plate/ foil over gentle fire (so as not to destroy the protein in the maggots, protein is heat sensitive).

The assigment of calculating what quantity of maggots required to feed 3,000 fish will have to be computed by you. How many kg of fishmeal do you use to feed the same quantity of fish? Though subjective, could open up a whole line of debate on food conversion ratio etc.

As for those with earthen ponds, you can feed your fish with raw maggots as supplementary feed. Just sieve out the maggots from the poultry waste after rinsing with good quantity of water.

Down side of maggot meal in concrete ponds is similar to issues experienced with other locally compounded feeds; you need to drain your ponds more often. Generally easier to use in earthen ponds.

More details later. Other contributions also needed from the house.
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by ayosat(m): 11:00am On Dec 25, 2012
Using this opportunity to wish everyone MERRY XMAS and prosperous NEW YEAR.
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by ayosat(m): 1:52am On Dec 27, 2012
3) INDUCING THE FEMALE BROODSTOCK: After selecting the male and the female broodstock. The next step is to induce or inject the female broodstock with hormone (ovaprim or ovulin). Some farmers make use of pituitary gland solution for this purpose. By using clean syringe, make sure the hormone is 0.5ml / kg of the fish you are injecting. This is done in order to provoke or get the eggs ready for the spawning process. The best way to inject the female fish is by intramuscular injection into the dorsal muscle of the fish (see the picture below). After the injection, the fish is kept seperate ( as before) for at least 12 hours before the next process.

Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by ayosat(m): 10:21am On Dec 28, 2012
4) STRIPPING OF EGGS : After the 12th hour of inducing the female broodstock with hormone, the next step is to extract the eggs. This is done by gently pressing the abdomen towards the genital papilla. In doing this, the eggs would easily come out. The eggs should be pressed out into a clean bowl ( see picture below). Note : no force at all should be applied to bring out the eggs from the female. If u had to applied force, it could either mean the induction process time is not complete (give it some more time) or the ml per kg of injection u gave is not right( too low for the fish). No excessive force should be applied on the fish cos if done it could injure the fish or kill it. *** to be continue*** For the best fingerlings or juveniles... Call Ayo on 08035193433 or drop your e mail at ayo.tiamiyu@yahoo.com . The farm is located at abule egba, lagos. Thanks.

Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by ayosat(m): 4:17pm On Dec 29, 2012
5) DISSECTING THE MALE BROODSTOCK : The male sperm cannot be stripped, so we have to dissect its abdomen down to its genital in order to remove its testicle. Some make use of a testis for the spawning process, others make use of the two testicle ( this depends on the eggs you are able to get from the female in step 4). If u dont want the fish to die after the dissect then you have to surgically sew and stitch back the place (make sure it is tightly stitched that water will not enter). Then you place it separate from other fish until the wound heal. The advantage of this is that the fish dont have to die and that the other testis can be used another time. Note : for you to want to keep the male fish alive, the dissect must be very small and the process gentle and clean. *** to be continue*** For the best fingerlings or juveniles ... Call Ayo on 08035193433 or drop your e mail at ayo.tiamiyu@yahoo.com the farm is located at abule egba. Lagos. Thanks

Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by fm7070: 12:50pm On Dec 30, 2012
@Ayosat,
do you sell post fries (ijebu)?
where is your farm situated?
Price?
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by ayosat(m): 8:03pm On Dec 31, 2012
@Fm7070, sir i dont sell post fries. Only fingerlings, post fingerlings and juveniles. The farm is at Abule Egba, that is Lagos- Abeokuta Expressway

1 Like

Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by digi101(m): 9:07pm On Jan 01, 2013
fm7070: @Ayosat,
do you sell post fries (ijebu)?
where is your farm situated?
Price?

how many days old is your desired post fries, what quantity, and is it a recurring order?
Am based in ibadan and may be able to work something out if the order is reasonable

1 Like

Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by fm7070: 11:29am On Jan 02, 2013
am based in Lagos, I don't think this can work.
AM planning to move to outside Lagos, will contact you then
you can post your contact details so I can contact you soonest.
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by digi101(m): 6:10pm On Jan 03, 2013
fm7070: am based in Lagos, I don't think this can work.
AM planning to move to outside Lagos, will contact you then
you can post your contact details so I can contact you soonest.

Ok then. Thanks
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by ayosat(m): 10:20pm On Jan 05, 2013
6) FERTILISATION PROCESS : After exracting the eggs and the removal of the testicles, the next step is to mix them both so that fertilisation can take place. This occur by cuting the testicles extracted from the male and geting the milt out into the eggs. Some uses low concentrated salt water solution to mix them, others use ordinary water. Eitherways use the one that work for you. Both the eggs and milt are mixed together by gently shaking the bowl or using a plastic spoon so that the sperm sticks to the eggs. 7) SPREAD THE FERTILIZED EGGS : This is the stage in which the already fertilized eggs from the bowl is slowly spread upon the net on the spawning vat. Make sure that the eggs are evenly spread and that spaces are left in between them so that the hatched fries (hatchlings)can pass through the hole and get down to the bottom of the vat.

Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by icechica: 8:52am On Jan 13, 2013
Goodday to every1 here,iv been reading posts n I think I like wat iv been seeing,I'm a fishfarmer who is just starting based in warri,iv been having problems with my fishes for close to a month now,n they are 2months old,they keep aving peeled skin n most of dem re always hanging,n mow I find deadfishes everymornin n evenin wen I feed,what do I do pls?iv tried different types of antibiotics to no avail,pls wat is the cause of the hanging?som1 said its lack of oxygen...pls is dat right?if so wat do I do for them to av enuf oxygen,n also they av stopped eatin,they usually eat more than 2kg but now they don't eat up to 1kg,pls wat do I do about dis?waiting 4replies pls,tanx a lot!
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by occational2012: 9:15pm On Jan 13, 2013
Occational fisheries limited are poised to supply Fries,Fingerlings,Juveniles and Post juveniles at an affordable rate within and outside lagos.in order to ease your burden,for clients within lagos,we will deliver to your door step at no cost while there will be a discounted fee for delivery to clients outside lagos as well as free consultancy services for clients both within and outside Lagos because your satisfaction is our passion.place your order today and you will be glad you did.you can reach us on 08122989615,08137368151,and 08029849361. occational2012@yahoo.com

Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by miqos02(m): 2:47am On Jan 14, 2013
is it good to feed in the evening around 7pm,i do that and the fishes respond well with no mortality,i use the plastic tank
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by icechica: 6:59am On Jan 14, 2013
Goodday to every1 here,iv been reading posts n I think I like wat iv been seeing,I'm a fishfarmer who is just starting based in warri,iv been having problems with my fishes for close to a month now,n they are 2months old,they keep aving peeled skin n most of dem re always hanging,n mow I find deadfishes everymornin n evenin wen I feed,what do I do pls?iv tried different types of antibiotics to no avail,pls wat is the cause of the hanging?som1 said its lack of oxygen...pls is dat right?if so wat do I do for them to av enuf oxygen,n also they av stopped eatin,they usually eat more than 2kg but now they don't eat up to 1kg,pls wat do I do about dis?waiting 4replies pls,tanx a lot! Goodday to every1 here,iv been reading posts n I think I like wat iv been seeing,I'm a fishfarmer who is just starting based in warri,iv been having problems with my fishes for close to a month now,n they are 2months old,they keep aving peeled skin n most of dem re always hanging,n mow I find deadfishes everymornin n evenin wen I feed,what do I do pls?iv tried different types of antibiotics to no avail,pls wat is the cause of the hanging?som1 said its lack of oxygen...pls is dat right?if so wat do I do for them to av enuf oxygen,n also they av stopped eatin,they usually eat more than 2kg but now they don't eat up to 1kg,pls wat do I do about dis?waiting 4replies pls,tanx a lot!
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by icechica: 7:04am On Jan 14, 2013
Hi everyone,pls is it better to train clarias or hybrids,I heard hybrids are stronger and never get sick,what period is better to train clarias catfishes? undecided
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by icechica: 7:22am On Jan 14, 2013
SELECTING THE MALE AND FEMALE BROODSTOCK: The brood stock u select must be at least one year old. To identify the male and the female, u need to check their genitals ( from the belly of the fish). The male genital is burgeon a little (see from the picture). While that of the female is flat or almost. Also the belly of a good female is swollen, this is due to the secretion of eggs in them ( see 4rm the picture). When u press the belly of the female a little to confirm the egg, it can be brown, green or golden in colour. Make sure when u check, there is no blood or white spots with the eggs of the female broodstock u r going to use. Finally when u have selected the broodstock, male and female. Make sure u dont keep them together. They must be kept seperately, cos they tends to be aggresive if kept together and they will injure or even kill themselves, if put together. Put them in different plastic containers. *** to be cotinue *** For the best fingerlings and juvenile please call Ayo on 08035193433 or e mail at ayo.tiamiyu@yahoo.com the farm is at Abule egba. Lagos. Hope to hear Goodday to every1 here,iv been reading posts n I think I like wat iv been seeing,I'm a fishfarmer who is just starting based in warri,iv been having problems with my fishes for close to a month now,n they are 2months old,they keep aving peeled skin n most of dem re always hanging,n mow I find deadfishes everymornin n evenin wen I feed,what do I do pls?iv tried different types of antibiotics to no avail,pls wat is the cause of the hanging?som1 said its lack of oxygen...pls is dat right?if so wat do I do for them to av enuf oxygen,n also they av stopped eatin,they usually eat more than 2kg but now they don't eat up to 1kg,pls wat do I do about dis?waiting 4replies pls,tanx a lot!4rm u. Thanks.[/quote]
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by icechica: 7:25am On Jan 14, 2013
Goodday to every1 here,iv been reading posts n I think I like wat iv been seeing,I'm a fishfarmer who is just starting based in warri,iv been having problems with my fishes for close to a month now,n they are 2months old,they keep aving peeled skin n most of dem re always hanging,n mow I find deadfishes everymornin n evenin wen I feed,what do I do pls?iv tried different types of antibiotics to no avail,pls wat is the cause of the hanging?som1 said its lack of oxygen...pls is dat right?if so wat do I do for them to av enuf oxygen,n also they av stopped eatin,they usually eat more than 2kg but now they don't eat up to 1kg,pls wat do I do about dis?waiting 4replies pls,tanx a lot!4rm u. Thanks.[/quote]
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by eseosa77(m): 11:56am On Jan 14, 2013
icechica: Goodday to every1 here,iv been reading posts n I think I like wat iv been seeing,I'm a fishfarmer who is just starting based in warri,iv been having problems with my fishes for close to a month now,n they are 2months old,they keep aving peeled skin n most of dem re always hanging,n mow I find deadfishes everymornin n evenin wen I feed,what do I do pls?iv tried different types of antibiotics to no avail,pls wat is the cause of the hanging?som1 said its lack of oxygen...pls is dat right?if so wat do I do for them to av enuf oxygen,n also they av stopped eatin,they usually eat more than 2kg but now they don't eat up to 1kg,pls wat do I do about dis?waiting 4replies pls,tanx a lot!4rm u. Thanks.

what size is ur pond and the stock?.pls make sure they are not over crowded and that the water should changed atleat once in two days.
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by ayosat(m): 1:52pm On Jan 14, 2013
icechica: Goodday to every1 here,iv been reading posts n I think I like wat iv been seeing,I'm a fishfarmer who is just starting based in warri,iv been having problems with my fishes for close to a month now,n they are 2months old,they keep aving peeled skin n most of dem re always hanging,n mow I find deadfishes everymornin n evenin wen I feed,what do I do pls?iv tried different types of antibiotics to no avail,pls wat is the cause of the hanging?som1 said its lack of oxygen...pls is dat right?if so wat do I do for them to av enuf oxygen,n also they av stopped eatin,they usually eat more than 2kg but now they don't eat up to 1kg,pls wat do I do about dis?waiting 4replies pls,tanx a lot!
you should have been disinfecting the fish at least once a month cos prevension is beta than cure. To what u explain, i think its parasite infection on the body of the fish. U have to change the water everyday until they are free from it. This is what u do, When u drain their water, fill with fresh water just to cover the fish only, then mix the antibiotic with little salt water. Pour it in the pond for about 2 hours. Then change the water again and fill it up with fresh water. U have to repeat this for at least 5 to 7 days for the parasites to go. I would have recommend formalin bath, but u may not know how to handle it cos formalin is a very strong chemical. Just use the salt bath for few days and see how they respond. Also u may need to wash the pond with salt solution as well. The infection will keep going stronger if u do nothing . Suppose u have extra pond u could have taken the fish out of the infected pond to a new pond, And treat them there. When they are free 4rm this infection, give them multivitamins to increase their appetites for food
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by icechica: 3:33pm On Jan 14, 2013
The pond I'm using is an earth pond,how do I change the water?tanx alot
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by ab1x: 10:21pm On Jan 14, 2013
icechica: The pond I'm using is an earth pond,how do I change the water?tanx alot

Here is what you should do:

Try and get the following items; ashes(eru), NCO and salt. The amount of ashes and salt to get depends on how big your pond is. NB: u can get d ashes from any bakery in ur area.

Mix the three stuff (ashes, NCO & Salt) together.

Drain all the water in the pond with the help of a water pumping machine.

Sprinkle d stuff into d pond, do make sure u make it go round insuch away that it will be even.

Leave it for a while for example u can do it in the morning around 8am and go back there in the evening around 5PM to allow water to enter into ur pond.

Lastly and the most important part, do not feed them for two days. You can feed 'em the third day.

Please try d above method and let me know how it goes on Friday.

Also, let me know d size of ur pond so that I can tell you how many Kilo of salt to get.

Thank you.
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by icechica: 3:27pm On Jan 15, 2013
Tanx a lot! I'll try dat
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by excelsiorfarm(m): 6:34am On Jan 16, 2013
@icechica,the possible cause of the peeling of your fishes is due to the water concentration.If you have access to a PH meter,you can easily test your water by yourself.The immediate solution will be to change the water.If your fishes are hanging,it clearly shows that the oxygen content is extremely poor due to over feeding,waste to say a few.that means you have to monitor your water management.Yes i understand it is an earthen pond,it also applies to it.Overcrowding of ponds can also be the reason.i could have said you should add baking powder to the water to at least bring the acidic PH down,the best option now is change water,dont feed(the point is those that will die will die i.e the extremely affected ones).let it be,that way for at least 2days.LEARN to give your fishes anti-stress after every sorting,water change and when transporting/after transporting.Buy an aerator it will enhance the oxygen supply to your pond.HIGH ALGAE CONTENT IN PONDS EASILY CAUSE DISEASES/LOW OXYGEN IN THE POND.WHEN FEEDING WITH EARTHWORM AND THE LIKE,DO NOT FEED MORE THAN WHAT THEY CAN CONSUME AT ONCE,ANY LEFTOVER CREATS POISON GAS IN THE PONDS.ALSO IF U ARE USING POULTRY WASTE MODERATION IS NEEDED,ALL THE BEST.
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by Oluwaseun929(m): 7:51am On Jan 16, 2013
i have fingerlings, post-fingerlings and juvenile catfish to sell here in lagos.. contact me Seun-08060742921
Email- xg_606@yahoo.com. Thnks
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by fm7070: 10:39am On Jan 16, 2013
I need fries/post-fries of 4-5wks, pls let me know if you have and the price
olufunke7@gmail.com
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by integrityfood: 11:16am On Jan 16, 2013
Good morning everyone, I am new in the cat fish farming business and hope to open my farm in February. I need to do the re-circulatory pound system. Am using concrete pond. I wish to know if the business is sustaining , profitable and what I need in setting up the re-circulatory system. Right now I do not have enough cash to hire competent expert as one Mr Bolaji whom I contracted to help with the re-circulatory stuff ran away with my N110,000 since January 2012. I am in Ikorodu and will appreciate any information that can help me succeed. my number is 08025669642 or integrityfood@gmail.com. Am grateful to aratat limited who has even visited my farm. God bless you sir.
Re: Catfish Farming: My Story by excelsiorfarm(m): 6:57pm On Jan 16, 2013
@integrityfood,i feel for u,many hardly know about recirculatory system,i will do u a favor i.e i will send my manual to u,it cost 3K,go thru it,it will guide u a lot as per how to buy your fingerlings,feeding,how not to be dupe by sweet mouth marketers,then when u are thru & conceive,u can pay me(i dont do it for anyone), pls read my thread on businesses that can give income continually(& my post on fishery in it,it will help u a great deal),any question,i will answer.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Tomato Production And Marketing. Facts Backed With Figures / Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures / Updated Price Of Grains And Location.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.