Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,128 members, 7,811,185 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:34 AM

Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s (19327 Views)

Married Men How Do You Confidently Cheat On Your Spouse? ( My Experience) / Dear Married Men, How Do You Cope With Sex Starvation / 7 Things You Should Learn To Do In Your 20s To Avoid Regrets In Your Later Life (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by kudinkarfe: 1:37pm On Sep 15, 2021
In the 80/90s life was fun. We ate together with friends, we play and fight. We went Church and Mosque. There was no religion differences. There was no village people are attacking my destiny. Anybody can beat you when you misbehave and parents will thank that person. There was no get rich or die trying attitude that led many to their early grave. Girls were not after who has money. Life was easy for everyone and suicide was very rear.

13 Likes

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by GUNITGuy: 1:38pm On Sep 15, 2021
Citygal:

grin I remember back then, mum will say tell us to go and sleep ‘afternoon sleep’ after school when others were going to learn one skill or the other.

The pace was really slow and unproductive back then, that’s why we are still where we are today.
Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by DSC7: 1:39pm On Sep 15, 2021
Nigeria keeps getting worse daily after independence..... No thanks to our visionless leaders,,, Abacha and OBJ would have salvaged us during the military regime but look where we are today,,,,

Life then was better than what it is now... Only thing still holding this country country is the distraction caused by social media if not there would have been revolution....

But as it now most of the people who are supposed to hit the street are behind their keyboards looking for daily bread or catching cruise undecided

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by 123readygo: 1:39pm On Sep 15, 2021
I didn't wait for anybody to give me money or job. I went into commercial bus driving and did that till l left the Uni.
Life was fun then, and things were relatively cheap. I still could remember buying a plate of food with N20

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by Abagworo(m): 1:39pm On Sep 15, 2021
Nigeria has always been underdeveloped and poor right from 1980s till date but it's still easy to make money in Nigeria than most other countries. I'm excluded from your survival list cause 2 years after graduation I made a million Dollar and was barely 21 then. So most of my other years till date I've been growing in worth and investments while the normal Naija suffering continues

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by Idris410(m): 1:40pm On Sep 15, 2021
Pls any available WORK,I live at mafoluku oshodi,hunger don 1 kill me,pls help
Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by Chimeluv(f): 1:40pm On Sep 15, 2021
They survived all right even though the economy was bad you could go to the market and buy all the things you need but now you go to the market and still wonder if your money fell down on the way because you cant even buy all the things you need.
Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by pedenaca: 1:40pm On Sep 15, 2021
Cetoji:
By the grace of God

I'm personally giving out loan to fee people here on Nairaland for business purpose. I wish to startup a loan shark business but want to test my knowledge here on Nairaland first and see how it goes before going fully into it. Hence i want to start with 3 million here as a test and see how it goes and how profitable it is. Maximum amount I'm giving out to a person is 500k. Minimum is 100k. I have done an intensive research from various loan companies and I know how it works and I heard it's profitable. My loan terms include:

* NO COLLATERAL
* INTENSIVE VERIFICATION PROCESS
* LOAN FOR BUSINESS PURPOSE ONLY.
* EVERY STATE IN NIGERIA IS WELCOME
* MONTHLY INTEREST RATE OF 3%
* LOAN MAXIMUM DURATION REPAID PERIOD OF NOT MORE THAN 6 MONTHS.
* PHYSICAL VERIFICATION APLLIED WHERE NEEDED.

Chat me up on WhatsApp 09022611124
He will request for your details including your ID card and Nairaland password, and then use them to scam people.
He doesn't have any loan to give.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by seankafor(m): 1:41pm On Sep 15, 2021
Myself2:
grin cheesy grin grin
This topic is a bit funny.
I'm 50 years now and all I can say is that even in my 20s, older folks were still telling us tales about the good old days. I think whatever dispensation one finds himself, one just has to adopt a positive can do mindset, then put your best foot forward and hope for the best
this is the final verdict..

Thread closed

4 Likes

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by GUNITGuy: 1:42pm On Sep 15, 2021
[quote author=GUNITGuy post=105841910][/quote]
You come back from school you must sleep in the aftrtnoon
Even when u hate that sleep
Mum says just close your eyes
And indeed after a while you just fall asleep
Now I are free to go and be rolling tyres and playing football or even borrow a borrowed bicycle for a ride just 1/2 distant the street

1 Like

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by hansomb: 1:42pm On Sep 15, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

God shocked shocked. Afternoon siesta. Chei no wonder the country got poorer. Chinese folks then were building. Nigerians were sleeping. Oh lord.
Can you imagine, I try to see it through the movie Ìshólà. That time na party/àríyà and cinema/Indian movies all night.
Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by Lessel: 1:42pm On Sep 15, 2021
This issue raised is hilariously sad. The southern part of Nigeria didn't realize the motives of the northern ruling oligarchy back then. There were no jobs down south but there were in the North. The moment a northerner gets qualified for that position, the southerner is frustrated out of job. That was how it went on until the father of all deceptors came back to power in 2015. Eye don red now and some of us who played to the gallery of patriotism are now biting our fingers. The solution? Let's continue to guess.
Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by VTJN(m): 1:43pm On Sep 15, 2021
SlyfoxxjReturns:
Things were almost as hard as they are today but we had less distractions. We were a lot more disciplined and focused than this present generation. I can tell you that for free.
You are absolutely right sir

This our generation get as e be. Saw an SS1 girl going out with men and i felt like crying for her

You see a small boy all what he thinks of is money, money, money. How he'd impress a girl with the money

They now see someone who isn't into all these boyfriend/girlfriend of a thing as a fool or perhaps not being normal. This our generation no be am abeg

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by Uncleodi(m): 1:45pm On Sep 15, 2021
crackhaus:

No matter how you look at it, they had it so much better... Waayyy better.
Nothing depressing about it.

Yes they lived through the military era and saw firsthand what that was like, but it was still a better deal than what we have now.

Nigeria/Nigerians didn't have such a bad rep in the eyes of the world back then.

And who told you there were no jobs?

Just having a university degree guaranteed you a job without the need for man-know-man or bribing your way into federal agencies.
My dad with his University of Ibadan 2'2 degree didn't stay without work for up to 3 months after serving – got a really good job for that matter.

Nigerians could travel easier back then and even though the standard of living wasn't all that high, things were affordable in comparison.
Today, the standard of living is low (even lower if we're being honest), yet commodities aren't that affordable.

The internet age, satellite TV, and advent of mobile devices which ushered in the era of remote jobs and internet-based sources of income, also came with the introduction of make-believe lifestyles from watching reality shows like MTV cribs, KUWTK, etc...
Young Nigerians became obsessed with living wealthy lifestyles and acquiring expensive things (even when unnecessary).

Please there's no comparison to be made...

Older Nigerians definitely had a much better Nigeria than we do now. It wasn't heaven then, but it still wasn't as hellish as it is now.
People actually lived in Nigeria back then, but what people are doing now is surviving – there's a big difference.

I can't even take my car to a random mechanic to fix for me because they will bill me like a yahoo boy. lipsrsealed
Internet fraudsters who don't mind paying whatever price they're told to pay for anything, have succeeded in contributing to inflation.

All those overpriced estates in places like Lekki built on top of reclaimed land that is just hoping/praying the sea doesn't develop mood swing, do you think if they were not seeing people to buy them, they won't drop the prices?

My brother, the overall mentality of Nigerians is very different now from what it was then.

Although it's not that the country was European-standard for older Nigerians back in the day, but contentment seemed to be more prevalent as people were okay with just having the basics/having just what was necessary.

I have a lot more I could type on this topic, but I've exceeded my social media allocated time for today. grin

You made a great point.

In addition, the general security was better than what it is now. I could travel alone in my secondary school days without fear of being kidnapped.

Although there were a few vices like the Otokoto saga in Owerri back then and money rituals in Anambara back then, but the Hausas and the Igbos were living fairly in harmony.

Economically, things were so hard during Abacha. My mum had to cook our meals with Abacha-Stove stuffed with sawdust as it was cheaper than kerosene Stove (who was even talking of gas cooker).

Street football was what we used to pass time, especially after junior WAEC.

For the families that owned a 504 vehicle, they were seen as high class.

Nissan Bluebird was about 70k in 1993 during Abacha's regime. That car is no longer in production today.

We also engaged in agriculture for fun, we planted vegetables, yam, maize and cassava and we would make fun among our siblings those whose farm produce were not optimal.

Most importantly, we looked forward to 4pm when NTA will open for operation for the day with the rainbow colour screen and a loud "puuuu" sound that would be followed shortly by the national antem. We would watch tales by moon light, casper the friendly ghost, wili-wili and the likes before we go to help our mum to make dinner.

Letter writing was the popular form of communication and people could write well in English without the now popular abbreviations commonly used by the Gen-Zee.

Women dressed more decently, teenage pregnancy was greatly condemned both by the society and the religious bodies.

Healthcare was quite affordable even though there were fewer doctors and hospitals, unlike we have now.

There are a lot to write but time wouldn't permit me.

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by tnerro1(m): 1:46pm On Sep 15, 2021
Then it was one house party to another house party and girls looked for love not money and guys just wanted to have fun according to their limit not yahoo yahoo or rituals.

Those days are gone for ever

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by favour32(m): 1:46pm On Sep 15, 2021
Our time lie lie dey minimal.
Nor be now wey lies na national songs.
Example,
(1)A pack of omo get gift inside.
(2)Crown cork of major soft drinks get something to be excited for the consumers.
(3)For Sardines and Gaisha, fish full inside die!
(4) Rice dey ever cost pass beans.
(5) Government dey shy to lie.
(6) Fulani herdsmen na our friends as we dey fetch water give them free.
(7)Na letter with italics writing wey use dey toast any girl.
(cool We dey search for grammar to impress others.
(9)On Sundays,rice na compulsory.
(10)We dey vex if national NTA news reach@ night.

But now, everything dey upside down.
How many we go talk?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by Nobody: 1:51pm On Sep 15, 2021
Junnior:
Funnily, I've been wondering lately if I would have been able to survive if I was born a decade earlier when there was no internet.

Our parents really suffered.

That's why when some of us tell them that we are making money without leaving home, it sounds ridiculous to them. They just can't relate.

Thank God for the internet

How do you mean?

The presence of internet didn't stop suffering. And even if the internet stops existed at this moment. Life will still go on well.
Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by TEDHorsePower: 1:52pm On Sep 15, 2021
Old jobless hopeless frustrated nairaland billionaire. Gworo man why would you still allow your inferiority complex get a better part of you by always coming online to deceive yourself? Even when you know that you are a poverty stricken unmarried old man that live a PH slum. Gworo man I spit on you. Tufia

[s]
Abagworo:
Nigeria has always been underdeveloped and poor right from 1980s till date but it's still easy to make money in Nigeria than most other countries. I'm excluded from your survival list cause 2 years after graduation I made a million Dollar and was barely 21 then. So most of my other years till date I've been growing in worth and investments while the normal Naija suffering continues
[/s]
Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by hosemujica: 1:52pm On Sep 15, 2021
hahn:

Keyword: Contentment

Unfortunately that is something many Nigerians might never experience in today's Nigeria
Contentment ? Our generation don't like to hear that word.
Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by Charly500(m): 1:52pm On Sep 15, 2021
crackhaus:

Yes they lived through the military era and saw firsthand what that was like, but it was still a better deal than what we have now.

Nigeria/Nigerians didn't have such a bad rep in the eyes of the world back then.

Just having a university degree guaranteed you a job without the need for man-know-man or bribing your way into federal agencies.
My dad with his University of Ibadan 2'2 degree didn't stay without work for up to 3 months after serving – got a really good job for that matter.

Nigerians could travel easier back then and even though the standard of living wasn't all that high, things were affordable in comparison.
Today, the standard of living is low (even lower if we're being honest), yet commodities aren't that affordable.

The internet age, satellite TV, and advent of mobile devices which ushered in the era of remote jobs and internet-based sources of income, also came with the introduction of make-believe lifestyles from watching reality shows like MTV cribs, KUWTK, etc...
Young Nigerians became obsessed with living wealthy lifestyles and acquiring expensive things (even when unnecessary).

Older Nigerians definitely had a much better Nigeria than we do now. It wasn't heaven then, but it still wasn't as hellish as it is now.
People actually lived in Nigeria back then, but what people are doing now is surviving – there's a big difference.

I can't even take my car to a random mechanic to fix for me because they will bill me like a yahoo boy. lipsrsealed
Internet fraudsters who don't mind paying whatever price they're told to pay for anything, have succeeded in contributing to inflation.

All those overpriced estates in places like Lekki built on top of reclaimed land that is just hoping/praying the sea doesn't develop mood swing, do you think if they were not seeing people to buy them, they won't drop the prices?

My brother, the overall mentality of Nigerians is very different now from what it was then.

Although it's not that the country was European-standard for older Nigerians back in the day, but contentment seemed to be more prevalent as people were okay with just having the basics/having just what was necessary.

I have a lot more I could type on this topic, but I've exceeded my social media allocated time for today. grin

loved your write up as you really made alot of sense, but the idea of people being contented with what they have, has been thrown out of the window in this our present generation.

The Common man in nigeria keeps getting frustrated left, right and centre just in a bid to make ends meet and have a better life for himself and his family, in a country where the system is designed to frustrate all your efforts.

3 Likes

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by Blackdisciple(m): 1:53pm On Sep 15, 2021
Hmm ..
I left parents when I was 22 or so I start fending for myself till date.

Then I wasn't paying bills but now I do ,
So if u ask me I will say I was ok then, than now with how economy rate is in the country am I going to think of how to be settling my first little niece who is now in the university or other nieces and nephews, abi na my younger ones, or my mum and dad abi na my babe and some of my G's...?

It's hard now oo.

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by harmargedon: 1:56pm On Sep 15, 2021
tensazangetsu20:

I agree the pace was slow but people were still very poor there were no jobs and there were like really few opportunities to earn a living. It must have been so depressing.
there were no jobs for the uneducated. But for the educated ones, even if it's trade test, they had opportunities to work anywhere, it was easier to travel out of the country, it was easier to do business, compared to now.

1 Like

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by hansomb: 1:57pm On Sep 15, 2021
But one thing I respect about the old generation expecially my grandparents is how well they are able to travel out from there comfort zone, work hard and invest in property which we the younger generation are enjoying now and finding difficult to replicate. Coming from the early 90s before the internet and phone life used to be extremely very slow 90s to 00s which gives me more memory of my childhood than say from 10s to 20s. You send letter from post office, will take like 1 month to get just a reply, wic text msg can do in 5 minutes, Imagine very soon 2022 is around the corner. Life is running fast now.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by Oricha79(m): 2:02pm On Sep 15, 2021
I was still struggle at federal politechnic offa in kwara state in my 20s.
Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by Gerrard59(m): 2:02pm On Sep 15, 2021
holocron:

What's all this Igbo this Igbo that. We are talking of Nigeria made up of 250 ethnic groups and you are bringing up Igbo matter.

The Biafra war only occured in the south east alone, while the rest of Nigeria were enjoying peace and development - and only for 3 years out of a 20 year period we are talking about.

You Igbos should get over your self importance. Nigeria will continue to exist with or without Igbos.

Typical tribalist. You made a statement that Nigeria had her best days during independence and 1984. I ask whether if it includes the Civil War where over three million Igbos were slaughtered and this is the best you've to spew?

Typical mumu who wishes a genocide on Igbos. So, Nigeria had her best days when over three million fellow Nigerians were slaughtered? You must be a very stupid person in real life!

2 Likes

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by Gerrard59(m): 2:04pm On Sep 15, 2021
mariahAngel:
[s][/s]

This is a very wicked and insensitive comment to type you know?
Did you know that almost every family lost at least a relative at that time?

”...and only for 3 years out of a 20 year period we are talking about.” angry

Even children were not spared from the war!

Why are you surprised? The vast majority of non-Igbo Nigerians will love to see Igbos slaughtered. Why most of them aren't happy with Buhari is because his policies are affecting them but they thought only Igbos and to an extent ethnic minorities in the south south will be affected.

It's Nigeria where detribalised folks are oxymorons

1 Like

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by IdreamOfUnicorn(f): 2:04pm On Sep 15, 2021
hahn:

The military regime was crazy.

I remember as a kid we were on our way to Sheraton hotel and we didn't know that IBB had annulled the June 12 elections. Omo come see soldiers everywhere. See fear for old boy face grin

In those days soldiers could fvck you up overnight and no one would be able to save you.

If anything this generation has it the best but the problem is the idiots who messed up the country then are still circulating themselves in power.

Until the youths can find a way to kill them all off nothing will move forward.

The older generation can't help because they have already accepted their fate.
Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by Ikwerelastborn: 2:05pm On Sep 15, 2021
hahn:

The military regime was crazy.

I remember as a kid we were on our way to Sheraton hotel and we didn't know that IBB had annulled the June 12 elections. Omo come see soldiers everywhere. See fear for old boy face grin

In those days soldiers could fvck you up overnight and no one would be able to save you.

If anything this generation has it the best but the problem is the idiots who messed up the country then are still circulating themselves in power.

Until the youths can find a way to kill them all off nothing will move forward.

The older generation can't help because they have already accepted their fate.
Anywhere I see your comment the next thing that comes to my mind is Atheist cheesy cheesy
Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by Crownny88(m): 2:07pm On Sep 15, 2021
hahn:

There was no constant electricity or access to loans. No atm, no internet, no GSM, multicellular cost like N300k and that was big fvcking money then for one huge pile of junk.

And they grew up in the military regime where there was NO freedom of speech

All they could do was sleep grin
wake up.listen to radio then sleep again expecting chioma grin grin
Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by Limassol(m): 2:09pm On Sep 15, 2021
moscobabs:

you are right but dont forget the Older generation were Contented unlike our generation that want to be rich by all means , our heart of desperation makes thing harder for us
That is history revitionism, you know. "Contentment" then was a myth.The emergence and profliferation of "yahoo" then known as "419" in the early 1979-1983 by mostly state-sponsored Nigerian students abroad and their compatriots at home is something that was well-documented. I suggest you read on that part of history.

3 Likes

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by BassReeves: 2:11pm On Sep 15, 2021
Kobojunkie:
This one is desperately trying to rewrite history here.. undecided

Throw Andrew, MAMSA, SAP....etc out the window too. undecided
Andrew, 29 years later eventually did check out but alas still wasn't cured. The charlatans false prophet healers had a field day doing publicity stunts with him

They made sure that NTA Andrew 'I am checking out men ...' commercial break aired advert got buried away never to see the light of day again

1 Like

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by tommy589(m): 2:13pm On Sep 15, 2021
crackhaus:

You gave a truer relatable account of how life back then was better than this.

Factories were working and massive construction going on in most part of the country. The minimum wage rate was enough to feed only you and still have some savings,and you still go by if you have extra mouths to feed. I sometimes ponder how an individual gets to feed himself today,have savings and still rent house on current minimum wage.

The military were in power,but we know the regulars the government arrest for speaking out against corruption and oppression. Unlike today when governors and local government chairman go about arresting people for speaking out.

It was a bit not easy for some graduates too, because they found available jobs not commensurate to their discipline and expected salaries,but they had it better.

Graduates had it better because they knew the purpose of getting a degree. Unlike today when most of them don't know what honour it is to be in the university. I did not have the privilege of acquiring a tertiary education,but I have interviewed many seeking employment and i just don't how they passed out of secondary schools. These hordes of graduates are ready to settle for any salary,they the ones that stifle the employment opportunities for the deserving ones

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Us-based Nigerian Couple Welcome A Set Of Triplets After 20 Years Of Marriage / Dear Family, A Depressed Soul Needs Your Advice. / Why Do Most Nigerians Like To Reduce Their Ages?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.