Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,128 members, 7,811,187 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:37 AM

Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s (19328 Views)

Married Men How Do You Confidently Cheat On Your Spouse? ( My Experience) / Dear Married Men, How Do You Cope With Sex Starvation / 7 Things You Should Learn To Do In Your 20s To Avoid Regrets In Your Later Life (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by crackhaus: 11:47pm On Sep 13, 2021
Kobojunkie:
This one! undecided

No sand in my eye still? Why? undecided
Sleep and wake up first, your mind go dey...

3 Likes

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by Kobojunkie: 12:05am On Sep 14, 2021
crackhaus:

Sleep and wake up first, your mind go dey...
I already lost my mind once in 2012 and then again in 2016... you think the third time will be the charm? undecided

ROFLMAO
grin cheesy cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Such things don't scare me. undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by crackhaus: 12:08am On Sep 14, 2021
Kobojunkie:
I already lost my mind once in 2012 and then again in 2016... you think the third time will be the charm? undecided

ROFLMAO
grin cheesy cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Such things don't scare me. undecided
True confessions. grin

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by Kobojunkie: 12:10am On Sep 14, 2021
Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by crackhaus: 12:30am On Sep 14, 2021
Kobojunkie:
It's no secret! undecided
"Your mind go dey" is just a slang.

It has nothing to do with mental illness or you losing your mind in the past, and I honestly wouldn't want it to happen a third time.

But please don't let me stop you from talking about what you went through.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by Kobojunkie: 12:35am On Sep 14, 2021
crackhaus:

"Your mind go dey" is just a slang.

It has nothing to do with mental illness or you losing your mind in the past, and I honestly wouldn't want it to happen a third time.

But please don't let me stop you from talking about what you went through.
I just included that to share that scares and such don't phase me at all. grin

If you read that lady's story there, it is very similar to mine. undecided
Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by crackhaus: 12:39am On Sep 14, 2021
Kobojunkie:
I just included that to share that scares and such don't phase me at all. grin

If you read that lady's story there, it is very similar to mine. undecided
Are you a neuroscientist?
Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by Kobojunkie: 12:53am On Sep 14, 2021
crackhaus:

Are you a neuroscientist?
I was working on becoming on of those when it hit me. Since then, i have taken to giving my brain the rest it wants from me from all of that and more. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by Richy4(m): 1:17am On Sep 14, 2021
I will be really surprised to see that age bracket here in Nairaland... Graduate of 1984? shocked
Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by holocron: 2:11am On Sep 14, 2021
1960 to 1983 was the golden age of Nigeria. Those lucky enough to be educated and have come of age in Nigeria then, do not and has never known the meaning of hardship. They were the rulers and are still the rulers and controllers of Nigeria. They sold themselves to neocolonialism and refused to be defiant and remake the new country they inherited in a way that benefits the masses. They are all confused psychologically and they lack self-esteem. These are people brainwashed by the white colonialists or traumatized by the psychological oppression of racist colonialism.

Anyone coming of age between 1984 and 2000 would have known the meaning of hell on earth. This breed are very rugged and sort of resigned or adapted to hardship.

The millennial generation are similar to the first independence generation in the abundance of opportunities for self- realization and social renewal, but such opportunities come as two edged swords which the holder may use to obliterate themselves if care is not taken. Money may be made from internet connectivity, but because it appears easier and quicker, financial crime and Ponzi may be chosen. Random browsing on Internet and social media communication technology may weed out focused research and development of creative thinking etc. With recent trends, the millennial generation, despite the abundant opportunities, appear to be yet another lost generation of Nigerians. Alas! The beautiful ones are not yet born.

29 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by Nobody: 7:06am On Sep 14, 2021
Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:14am On Sep 14, 2021
holocron:
1960 to 1983 was the golden age of Nigeria. Those lucky enough to be educated and have come of age in Nigeria then, do not and has never known the meaning of hardship. They were the rulers and are still the rulers and controllers of Nigeria. They sold themselves to neocolonialism and refused to be defiant and remake the new country they inherited in a way that benefits the masses. They are all confused psychologically and they lack self-esteem. These are people brainwashed by the white colonialists or traumatized by the psychological oppression of racist colonialism.

Anyone coming of age between 1984 and 2000 would have known the meaning of hell on earth. This breed are very rugged and sort of resigned or adapted to hardship.

The millennial generation are similar to the first independence generation in the abundance of opportunities for self- realization and social renewal, but such opportunities come as two edged swords which the holder may use to obliterate themselves if care is not taken. Money may be made from internet connectivity, but because it appears easier and quicker, financial crime and Ponzi may be chosen. Random browsing on Internet and social media communication technology may weed out focused research and development of creative thinking etc. With recent trends, the millennial generation, despite the abundant opportunities, appear to be yet another lost generation of Nigerians. Alas! The beautiful ones are not yet born.
Would the beautiful ones ever be born?. The Nigeria of today is a paradise compared to what is coming.
Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by hahn(m): 8:38am On Sep 14, 2021
crackhaus:

That Nigeria is stuck in time is an oversimplification.

I believe we are in regression sef.

That there is now access to mobile phones and the internet is not enough metric for measuring economic advancement.

Stuck in time and in regression then with no hope in sight undecided
Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by Gerrard59(m): 9:52am On Sep 14, 2021
holocron:
1960 to 1983 was the golden age of Nigeria. Those lucky enough to be educated and have come of age in Nigeria then, do not and has never known the meaning of hardship. They were the rulers and are still the rulers and controllers of Nigeria. They sold themselves to appear to be yet another lost generation of Nigerians. Alas! The beautiful ones are not yet born.

Interesting how that period was the golden age of Nigeria when over three million Igbos died as a result of the Civil war. Or were Igbos not part Nigeria then or didn't enjoy this so-called "golden era"?

4 Likes

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by holocron: 9:02am On Sep 15, 2021
Gerrard59:

Interesting how that period was the golden age of Nigeria when over three million Igbos died as a result of the Civil war. Or were Igbos not part Nigeria then or didn't enjoy this so-called "golden era"?

What's all this Igbo this Igbo that. We are talking of Nigeria made up of 250 ethnic groups and you are bringing up Igbo matter.

The Biafra war only occured in the south east alone, while the rest of Nigeria were enjoying peace and development - and only for 3 years out of a 20 year period we are talking about.

You Igbos should get over your self importance. Nigeria will continue to exist with or without Igbos.

15 Likes

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by mariahAngel(f): 11:28am On Sep 15, 2021
[s]
holocron:

What's all this Igbo this Igbo that. We are talking of Nigeria made up of 250 ethnic groups and you are bringing up Igbo matter.

The Biafra war only occured in the south east alone, while the rest of Nigeria were enjoying peace and development - and only for 3 years out of a 20 year period we are talking about.

You Igbos should get over your self importance. Nigeria will continue to exist with or without Igbos.
[/s]

This is a very wicked and insensitive comment to type you know?
Did you know that almost every family lost at least a relative at that time?

”...and only for 3 years out of a 20 year period we are talking about.” angry

Even children were not spared from the war!

15 Likes

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by A001: 1:18pm On Sep 15, 2021
Interesting thread.
Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by moscobabs(m): 1:22pm On Sep 15, 2021
crackhaus:

No matter how you look at it, they had it so much better... Waayyy better.
Nothing depressing about it.

Yes they lived through the military era and saw firsthand what that was like, but it was still a better deal than what we have now.

Nigeria/Nigerians didn't have such a bad rep in the eyes of the world back then.

And who told you there were no jobs?

Just having a university degree guaranteed you a job without the need for man-know-man or bribing your way into federal agencies.
My dad with his University of Ibadan 2'2 degree didn't stay without work for up to 3 months after serving – got a really good job for that matter.

Nigerians could travel easier back then and even though the standard of living wasn't all that high, things were affordable in comparison.
Today, the standard of living is low (even lower if we're being honest), yet commodities aren't that affordable.

The internet age, satellite TV, and advent of mobile devices which ushered in the era of remote jobs and internet-based sources of income, also came with the introduction of make-believe lifestyles from watching reality shows like MTV cribs, KUWTK, etc...
Young Nigerians became obsessed with living wealthy lifestyles and acquiring expensive things (even when unnecessary).

Please there's no comparison to be made...

Older Nigerians definitely had a much better Nigeria than we do now. It wasn't heaven then, but it still wasn't as hellish as it is now.
People actually lived in Nigeria back then, but what people are doing now is surviving – there's a big difference.

I can't even take my car to a random mechanic to fix for me because they will bill me like a yahoo boy. lipsrsealed
Internet fraudsters who don't mind paying whatever price they're told to pay for anything, have succeeded in contributing to inflation.

All those overpriced estates in places like Lekki built on top of reclaimed land that is just hoping/praying the sea doesn't develop mood swing, do you think if they were not seeing people to buy them, they won't drop the prices?

My brother, the overall mentality of Nigerians is very different now from what it was then.

Although it's not that the country was European-standard for older Nigerians back in the day, but contentment seemed to be more prevalent as people were okay with just having the basics/having just what was necessary.

I have a lot more I could type on this topic, but I've exceeded my social media allocated time for today. grin

you are right but dont forget the Older generation were Contented unlike our generation that want to be rich by all means , our heart of desperation makes thing harder for us

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by Generalwoodz(m): 1:23pm On Sep 15, 2021
...90s kids should keep mute and read thoroughly with undivided attention... Ofcourse I am born of the 90s

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by Muhylonaire007: 1:25pm On Sep 15, 2021
You need past question?
Well, you cannot see o.
9ja was liveable for them when they were in our age.
We are even trying self, coz they see us as a survivor, you know why? Because they didn't experience all these we are experiencing now in their own time.
Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by Illshef(m): 1:25pm On Sep 15, 2021
"new innovation, new problem"

let's help you manage your social media page, design your e-commerce website, and grow your business at Jetheights.
www.jetheights.com
Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by seyz91(m): 1:26pm On Sep 15, 2021
You don't ever compare naija of back then to now

Naija was better and now getting worse day by day, week by week,month by month and year by year

Life was easier way back
tensazangetsu20:
I used to abuse the older generation blaming them for completely destroying the country for the younger generation especially Nigerians in the 45 plus age bracket but I have been thinking and I feel that age range of Nigerians actually had it much worst than Nigerians of today.

Nigeria is still an absolute shithole today but at least the internet exist which is enabling young people to make a living online. Something that was impossible or unheard of like 10 years ago.

How did older men survive Nigeria when they were young. I mean let's say you graduated from unilag or unn with a mechanical engineering degree in 1984 when Buhari was head of state. They were no jobs, unemployment was still very rife. There was no internet for freelancing or stuff like that. Bujari destroyed the economy then and a demon IBB entered and became president as if that wasn't worst Abacha came in. By the time Abacha left, a 22 year old man from buhari tenure might have been 35 or close to 40 years. Lived through all this bad governance, poverty and hardship. It's so terrible when I think about it.

Older Nigerians how did you guys do it? I am really curious to hear your experiences.

1 Like

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by Bamzyriches451: 1:27pm On Sep 15, 2021
Damn

My US woman loads my Aza with some $ twice on Monday morning
Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by Nobody: 1:28pm On Sep 15, 2021
Things were almost as hard as they are today but we had less distractions. We were a lot more disciplined and focused than this present generation. I can tell you that for free.

2 Likes

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by Eriokanmi: 1:29pm On Sep 15, 2021
Things were quite cheap that time..my school fees were #3,400 in my final year. I also realised there was no single male student on campus who pierced his ears or wore studs. None of us also plaited our hair as you have today. Most of our ladies were always in skirts...almost 90% of them. In short, there was decorum

Though we had it rough and though communicating. No gsm, no social media. We were always queuing at Nitel to call our family members. No Internet banking as we were always carrying cash about . These were the challenges we faced. There was food, clothing and security. We could travel anytime we chose.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by tmtech: 1:29pm On Sep 15, 2021
My childhood was monotonous and boring cos as a child I was adventurous but ,they was nothing to do back den... No internet , landline was no fun.. when I got a desktop in early 2000, it was mad fun grin grin and then MTN came along grin grin cheesy cheesy and how can I forget old r and b and mehn sound sultan was real OG (RIP). Micheal Jackson and other old school blues was really a life saver.

9 Likes

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by VTJN(m): 1:34pm On Sep 15, 2021
Kobojunkie:
I was working on becoming on of those when it hit me. Since then, i have taken to giving my brain the rest it wants from me from all of that and more. undecided
Ofcourse they are. They should be in their 50s/60s. Majority of that generation did enjoyed life. Some of my lecturers then told me they all got their job after school. A young man was saying on national TV how Nigerians were doing pretty fine then. Naira is more sophisticated than the so called dollar. Graduates are being employed immediately after school with good pay. Apart from government jobs, different multinationals firm do come to pick them up. I think it was during the 80s/early 90s graduates stopped getting job immediately after school. Now, it's nothing to write home about.

9 Likes

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by tmtech: 1:34pm On Sep 15, 2021
Eriokanmi:
Things were quite cheap that time..my school fews were #3,400

No lies..though making money wasn't easy back then as well.. but relatively, it was better.

1 Like

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by sabreal: 1:34pm On Sep 15, 2021
Please stop wasting your time by deceiving yourself.

The approach was work study.

That age you mentioned, 40-45, faced similar things you are facing. Grab the opportunities available to you now and reject every form of pity party. It ain't do you any good

tensazangetsu20:
I used to abuse the older generation blaming them for completely destroying the country for the younger generation especially Nigerians in the 45 plus age bracket but I have been thinking and I feel that age range of Nigerians actually had it much worst than Nigerians of today.

Nigeria is still an absolute shithole today but at least the internet exist which is enabling young people to make a living online. Something that was impossible or unheard of like 10 years ago.

How did older men survive Nigeria when they were young. I mean let's say you graduated from unilag or unn with a mechanical engineering degree in 1984 when Buhari was head of state. They were no jobs, unemployment was still very rife. There was no internet for freelancing or stuff like that. Bujari destroyed the economy then and a demon IBB entered and became president as if that wasn't worst Abacha came in. By the time Abacha left, a 22 year old man from buhari tenure might have been 35 or close to 40 years. Lived through all this bad governance, poverty and hardship. It's so terrible when I think about it.

Older Nigerians how did you guys do it? I am really curious to hear your experiences.

1 Like

Re: Older Nigerian Men How Did You Survive Nigeria In Your 20s by Myself2(m): 1:34pm On Sep 15, 2021
grin cheesy grin grin
This topic is a bit funny.
I'm 50 years now and all I can say is that even when I was in my 20s, older folks were still telling us tales about the good old days. I think whatever dispensation one finds himself, one just has to adopt a positive can do mindset, then put your best foot forward and hope for the best

25 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Dear Family, A Depressed Soul Needs Your Advice. / Why Do Most Nigerians Like To Reduce Their Ages? / Share Your Experience As The Lastborn

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.