Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,835 members, 7,820,916 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:42 AM

Mark Clattenburg: Mikel Obi Almost Made Me Quit Refereeing – Ex-EPL Referee - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Mark Clattenburg: Mikel Obi Almost Made Me Quit Refereeing – Ex-EPL Referee (32478 Views)

EPL Referee Anthony Taylor Is DEMOTED To The Championship / Mark Clattenburg: "I Once Threw My Boots At Mourinho" - EPL Referee / Clattenburg: Mikel Obi, Bellamy, Roy Keane Are Among My 5 Most Annoying Players (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mark Clattenburg: Mikel Obi Almost Made Me Quit Refereeing – Ex-EPL Referee by sylve11: 5:33pm On Sep 18, 2021
After the years, he still stood on his ground. cool
Re: Mark Clattenburg: Mikel Obi Almost Made Me Quit Refereeing – Ex-EPL Referee by kenzysmith: 5:37pm On Sep 18, 2021
Calibrator:
That particular match was full of bias decisions.

Evans fouled Torres and as Clattenburg blew his whistle for a foul, Evans feeling guilty was already holding his head in his hands in anticipation of a straight red being the last defender, imagine the surprise when this biased referee pointed a second yellow card at Torres and sent him off for simulation.

Don't even get me started on the winning goal scored by United on the day.

Fraudulent decisions like that is why Karma is dealing with Manchester United post-ferguson era.

Long may it continue!

KTBFFH!
u nor dey pity us u still dey pray make we no win tittle

Re: Mark Clattenburg: Mikel Obi Almost Made Me Quit Refereeing – Ex-EPL Referee by Higgies(m): 5:39pm On Sep 18, 2021
He couldn't have called him Monkey.
Or could he ?
Well it is not impossible!
Re: Mark Clattenburg: Mikel Obi Almost Made Me Quit Refereeing – Ex-EPL Referee by ComputerWiz007: 5:45pm On Sep 18, 2021
Vinnie2000:

All these Man U Refs..Him and Howard Webb +Anthony Taylor, currently sad

U don talk this Thing B4 nah! undecided
Lmao...is the Cheshit fans obsession with Manutd for me... They know every detail about ManUtd why we ManUtd fans don't give a rat Ass about them.. typical with you small clubs tho..

1 Like

Re: Mark Clattenburg: Mikel Obi Almost Made Me Quit Refereeing – Ex-EPL Referee by Madaraire(m): 5:46pm On Sep 18, 2021
They covered for you because you are "One of them" and such bad publicity will be damaging to the image of the English FA.
Re: Mark Clattenburg: Mikel Obi Almost Made Me Quit Refereeing – Ex-EPL Referee by Angelfrost(m): 5:48pm On Sep 18, 2021
Some times I actually pity some of these Caucasians, especially in the sporting world... They literally have to keep walking on egg shells around players of African descent. Nothing can even be said in jest.

Typical example was the recent case of Cavani.

1 Like

Re: Mark Clattenburg: Mikel Obi Almost Made Me Quit Refereeing – Ex-EPL Referee by WoundedLamb: 5:48pm On Sep 18, 2021
kingthreat:
Civilization may need to be reviewed.
Anything that seems anti-women, anti-LGBT or racist is demonized and the person is criticized like the devil himself.
Glad the FA investigated and dismissed the claim. See how a man's diligent refereeing career would have become history years ago.

You don't think these forms of discrimination you mentioned should be criticized?
Re: Mark Clattenburg: Mikel Obi Almost Made Me Quit Refereeing – Ex-EPL Referee by wink2015(m): 5:50pm On Sep 18, 2021
Businesslist:
Former Premier League referee, Mark Clattenburg, has revealed that allegations made by former Chelsea midfielder, John Mikel Obi, almost made him quit.

In 2012, Clattenburg was accused of racially abusing the Nigerian player.

This followed a 3-2 defeat to Manchester United at Stamford Bridge .

Clattenburg had sent off two Chelsea players Branislav Ivanovic and Fernando Torres and the officials missed an offside for United’s winning goal.

In his new autobiography, Whistle-Blower, he wrote: “Chelsea made a formal complaint to the FA three days after the game. They were saying I had racially abused Mikel and for the first time, I was made aware of the specifics of their accusation, which was also leaked to the press.

“According to Chelsea, I had said to Mikel, ‘Shut up, you monkey.’ The language disgusted me, it was damaging and fictitious.

“Twenty-five days after the game, the FA dismissed the case. I was not guilty, something I had known all along.”

Source: https://dailypost.ng/2021/09/18/mikel-obi-almost-made-me-quit-refereeing-ex-epl-referee-mark-clattenburg/

International football often carry accusation and counter accussation.

There was a recent case of John Fashanu accusing the late Otto Gloria of demanding bribes from him in order to allow him to play for the Green Eagle ( Super eagle )

Late Otto Gloria is not alive to defend himself but other sportsmen like the mathematical Chief Segun Odegbami said it is doubtful Otto Gloria who is a brazilian and understand no english except his own native Brazilian Portuguese to demand money as bribe from John Fashanu.

There was the case of Jonathan Akpoborie who accussed Clemense Westaof of denying him a place in the Super eagle to play in some major tournament.

I believe life is history. Some day some personality will want to TELL THEIR LIFE EXPERIENCE EITHER IN THE FORM OF A BOOK OR SPEAK TO THE MEDIA.

https://ireporters247..com/2013/07/i-refused-to-beg-to-play-at-france98.html
Re: Mark Clattenburg: Mikel Obi Almost Made Me Quit Refereeing – Ex-EPL Referee by Harrynight(m): 5:52pm On Sep 18, 2021
Since that day till this day and counting this giy never like Mikel
Re: Mark Clattenburg: Mikel Obi Almost Made Me Quit Refereeing – Ex-EPL Referee by gnykelly(m): 5:55pm On Sep 18, 2021
False accusations should carry equal weight as accusations

1 Like

Re: Mark Clattenburg: Mikel Obi Almost Made Me Quit Refereeing – Ex-EPL Referee by Nobody: 6:05pm On Sep 18, 2021
All that one na stoooorrrrryyyyy

Re: Mark Clattenburg: Mikel Obi Almost Made Me Quit Refereeing – Ex-EPL Referee by Glycosunde: 6:10pm On Sep 18, 2021
This man u ref, Abeg go sit down. You nor blow offside for chicharito wey come out from behind cech come score d winning goal or give Evra red card wey foul Torres but instead na toress you give second yellow card and then red card but you still dey talk about Mikel say. If not for those nonsense calls that day Chelsea for win d match. And the Lord has been doing it back to back for Manchester United ever since. Na 600years of no trophies Dem go get. Nonsense Ingredients and English refs wey dem nor dey gree use for international competition because of their corruption

Sighs.......... Drops pen

2 Likes

Re: Mark Clattenburg: Mikel Obi Almost Made Me Quit Refereeing – Ex-EPL Referee by Masterito(m): 6:15pm On Sep 18, 2021
Can he also tell us about the wrong decisions he made in the match?
Businesslist:
Former Premier League referee, Mark Clattenburg, has revealed that allegations made by former Chelsea midfielder, John Mikel Obi, almost made him quit.

In 2012, Clattenburg was accused of racially abusing the Nigerian player.

This followed a 3-2 defeat to Manchester United at Stamford Bridge .

Clattenburg had sent off two Chelsea players Branislav Ivanovic and Fernando Torres and the officials missed an offside for United’s winning goal.

In his new autobiography, Whistle-Blower, he wrote: “Chelsea made a formal complaint to the FA three days after the game. They were saying I had racially abused Mikel and for the first time, I was made aware of the specifics of their accusation, which was also leaked to the press.

“According to Chelsea, I had said to Mikel, ‘Shut up, you monkey.’ The language disgusted me, it was damaging and fictitious.

“Twenty-five days after the game, the FA dismissed the case. I was not guilty, something I had known all along.”

Source: https://dailypost.ng/2021/09/18/mikel-obi-almost-made-me-quit-refereeing-ex-epl-referee-mark-clattenburg/
Re: Mark Clattenburg: Mikel Obi Almost Made Me Quit Refereeing – Ex-EPL Referee by geesilver(m): 6:42pm On Sep 18, 2021
Mikel obi and Chelsea fans over to you......
Re: Mark Clattenburg: Mikel Obi Almost Made Me Quit Refereeing – Ex-EPL Referee by Athemisia: 6:43pm On Sep 18, 2021
Calibrator:

Evans fouled Torres and as Clattenburg blew his whistle for a foul, Evans feeling guilty was already holding his head in his hands in anticipation of a straight red being the last defender, imagine the surprise when this biased referee pointed a second yellow card at Torres and sent him off for simulation.

Fraudulent decisions like that is why Karma is dealing with Manchester United post-ferguson era.

Long may it continue!

KTBFFH!
Wetin man no go see for Ethihad

Re: Mark Clattenburg: Mikel Obi Almost Made Me Quit Refereeing – Ex-EPL Referee by HBB1(m): 6:45pm On Sep 18, 2021
KillIgbohoN0W:

Copy copy Afonja angry

Cc Seun.
Besides that moniker is as offensive as it comes
Re: Mark Clattenburg: Mikel Obi Almost Made Me Quit Refereeing – Ex-EPL Referee by Gfskw: 6:48pm On Sep 18, 2021
Really
Re: Mark Clattenburg: Mikel Obi Almost Made Me Quit Refereeing – Ex-EPL Referee by kingthreat(m): 6:57pm On Sep 18, 2021
WoundedLamb:

You don't think these forms of discrimination you mentioned should be criticized?

You don't think you sniffing my dog's private part is a good idea?
Re: Mark Clattenburg: Mikel Obi Almost Made Me Quit Refereeing – Ex-EPL Referee by yusluvad(m): 7:00pm On Sep 18, 2021
You've said it all bro...
Calibrator:

Long may it continue!

KTBFFH!
Re: Mark Clattenburg: Mikel Obi Almost Made Me Quit Refereeing – Ex-EPL Referee by mikaael(m): 7:00pm On Sep 18, 2021
WibusJaga:

Black man will ever continue to play victim of racial abuse. The root cause is that feeling of inferiority to the whites.
If they call you black monkey, why not call them white monkey or something worse?

But there is no white monkey...or you sabi any?
Re: Mark Clattenburg: Mikel Obi Almost Made Me Quit Refereeing – Ex-EPL Referee by Gbeng30(m): 7:03pm On Sep 18, 2021
this is the reason why Man United will still be suffering from winning a significant trophy... awon olojoro club
Re: Mark Clattenburg: Mikel Obi Almost Made Me Quit Refereeing – Ex-EPL Referee by Gbeng30(m): 7:03pm On Sep 18, 2021
Gbeng30:
this is the reason why Man United will still be suffering from winning a significant trophy... awon olojoro club
Re: Mark Clattenburg: Mikel Obi Almost Made Me Quit Refereeing – Ex-EPL Referee by Bngf: 7:09pm On Sep 18, 2021
Ok
Re: Mark Clattenburg: Mikel Obi Almost Made Me Quit Refereeing – Ex-EPL Referee by Factsinred: 7:11pm On Sep 18, 2021
chatinent:
It hurts to say things against sb, esp when they aren't doing them.

White men are mostly liers!
I believe he really said it but was let off the hook because he was white... That's what we call " white privilege". wink

1 Like

Re: Mark Clattenburg: Mikel Obi Almost Made Me Quit Refereeing – Ex-EPL Referee by Factsinred: 7:16pm On Sep 18, 2021
mikaael:

But there is no white monkey...or you sabi any?

A white man once called me a monkey and I replied by calling him an Orangutan... He didn't expect it and stumped off in rage (I give it back to racists hot hot kiss)

2 Likes

Re: Mark Clattenburg: Mikel Obi Almost Made Me Quit Refereeing – Ex-EPL Referee by Legitboss1: 7:19pm On Sep 18, 2021
I swear to God, that game still The pain me.
Re: Mark Clattenburg: Mikel Obi Almost Made Me Quit Refereeing – Ex-EPL Referee by splashbaby(m): 7:29pm On Sep 18, 2021
Calibrator:

Long may it continue!

KTBFFH!
Your lies and bias na like Buhari love for Fulanis and Cows...

Toress commited a red card offence with a professional foul and he wasn't the last as you can see in the first picture. Ferdinand was ahead of him already ...Torres simulated a foul to get Evans a red card but back fired on him. Clattenburg was spot on. Only Chelsea fans watches the back of the TV back then.

The last goal was a classic counter attack that got Van Persin shooting from distance that clearly beat the goal keeper but rebounded and a second delivery from Rafael somehow found Chicharito after a goal mouth melee for a simple tap in. Chicharito as usual was the Chelsea nemesis scoring in every Chelsea matches he played...Clean goal! You have no basis whatsoever concerning the authenticity of the goal as there were no single protest by Chelsea players on the pitch as shown in the last picture. Only the sore pained fans will complain.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Man Slumps, Dies During Early Morning Jogging Exercise In Lagos (photo) / Mohamed Salah Named 2018 African Player Of The Year [Full Awards List] / 1986 World Cup Campaign Picture Of Football Legends & Effects

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.