Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,606 members, 7,812,986 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:36 AM

Senator Adeola Blames Nigeria's Present Debt Situation On Past Leaders - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senator Adeola Blames Nigeria's Present Debt Situation On Past Leaders (7383 Views)

Past Leaders Of Nigeria From 1914 Till Date (Pictures) / Our Institutions Are Weak - Osita Chidoka Blames Nigeria Over His In-Law's Death / FFK Commends Past Leaders For Snubbing Buhari's Inauguration (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senator Adeola Blames Nigeria's Present Debt Situation On Past Leaders by ogododo: 9:48pm On Sep 22, 2021
The Nigerian Senate has blamed the country’s debt profile on past presidents.
Chairman of the Senate Committee on Finance, Senator Solomon Olamilekan Adeola, blamed ex-President Olusegun Obasanjo, Umaru Musa Yar’Adua, and Goodluck Jonathan for Nigeria’s high death profile.

Adeola said the high debt profiles accumulated between 1999 and 2015.

The lawmaker disclosed this on Wednesday during consideration of the 2022-2024 Medium Term Expenditure Framework and Fiscal Strategy Paper.

In a statement forwarded to DAILY POST by spokesman of the Senate President, Ahmad Lawan, Ezrel Tabiowo, the lawmaker said Adeola disclosed this when asked by Lawan to make clarifications on concerns raised by lawmakers over Nigeria’s debt profile during deliberation on the report of the Joint Committees on Finance; Local and Foreign Debts; Banking, Insurance and Other Financial Institutions; Petroleum Resources (Upstream); Downstream Petroleum Sector and Gas on the 2022-2024 Medium Term Framework.

According to the lawmaker a “huge part of Nigeria’s total debt profile roughly estimated at N33trillion naira were incurred by past administrations dating back to the military era.”

He added: “Majority of the loans being repaid presently by the President Muhammadu Buhari administration were ones accumulated from the times of the military to those of the PDP administration under Ex-Presidents Olusegun Obasanjo, Umaru Musa Yar’Adua and Goodluck Jonathan, between 1999 and 2015.

“The borrowing you are saying is accumulated borrowing. It is not a borrowing of this administration alone, it is a borrowing that stems from the days of the military to the days when the Democratic dispensation started.

“It is an accumulated loan, it is not a loan that says that it is the current administration of President Buhari that has borrowed.

“It is a loan that has been borrowed by the previous administration – the Obasanjo, the Jonathan, the Yar’Adua of this world.

“[And] since the business of government is a continuum, the President of the day has no choice but to continue to pay back all these loans that have been borrowed by the previous administrations.

“More than three-quarter of these loans you’re seeing were borrowed from the previous administrations, and we are paying back – we are doing what is supposed to be done, the way it is supposed to be done.

“So, when my colleague said that for every sixty-seven naira of any loan that was borrowed, we are using to pay, he should know that more than sixty naira of it are loans borrowed by the previous administration. And that is where we are.”

https://dailypost.ng/2021/09/22/obasanjo-yaradua-jonathan-responsible-for-nigerias-high-debt-under-buhari-senate/

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Senator Adeola Blames Nigeria's Present Debt Situation On Past Leaders by LordviccoDaGuru(m): 9:49pm On Sep 22, 2021
Gbam!!!

I have said this before and am still saying it... It's the damages PDP put Nigeria �� through that's bringing about loan. Buhari is not responsible for any loan he has been borrowing, if I am Buhari I will keep borrowing after all it was the past govt that caused it.

If we can't borrow then how can we stabilizer the economy after 16 locust useless years of the PDP?

The good president Buhari has done for Nigeria �� in future time to come we will still be enjoying it... I advise Buhari to come back again in 2023 he alone knows the key. Buhari till 2031 after 2031 Buhari will hand over to Yusuf Buhari.

12 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Senator Adeola Blames Nigeria's Present Debt Situation On Past Leaders by Gentlerespect76: 9:51pm On Sep 22, 2021
ogododo:

The Nigerian Senate has blamed the country’s debt profile on past presidents.

Chairman of the Senate Committee on Finance, Senator Solomon Olamilekan Adeola, blamed ex-President Olusegun Obasanjo, Umaru Musa Yar’Adua, and Goodluck Jonathan for Nigeria’s high death profile.

Adeola said the high debt profiles accumulated between 1999 and 2015.

The lawmaker disclosed this on Wednesday during consideration of the 2022-2024 Medium Term Expenditure Framework and Fiscal Strategy Paper.

In a statement forwarded to DAILY POST by spokesman of the Senate President, Ahmad Lawan, Ezrel Tabiowo, the lawmaker said Adeola disclosed this when asked by Lawan to make clarifications on concerns raised by lawmakers over Nigeria’s debt profile during deliberation on the report of the Joint Committees on Finance; Local and Foreign Debts; Banking, Insurance and Other Financial Institutions; Petroleum Resources (Upstream); Downstream Petroleum Sector and Gas on the 2022-2024 Medium Term Framework.

According to the lawmaker a “huge part of Nigeria’s total debt profile roughly estimated at N33trillion naira were incurred by past administrations dating back to the military era.”

He added: “Majority of the loans being repaid presently by the President Muhammadu Buhari administration were ones accumulated from the times of the military to those of the PDP administration under Ex-Presidents Olusegun Obasanjo, Umaru Musa Yar’Adua and Goodluck Jonathan, between 1999 and 2015.

“The borrowing you are saying is accumulated borrowing. It is not a borrowing of this administration alone, it is a borrowing that stems from the days of the military to the days when the Democratic dispensation started.

“It is an accumulated loan, it is not a loan that says that it is the current administration of President Buhari that has borrowed.

“It is a loan that has been borrowed by the previous administration – the Obasanjo, the Jonathan, the Yar’Adua of this world.

“[And] since the business of government is a continuum, the President of the day has no choice but to continue to pay back all these loans that have been borrowed by the previous administrations.

“More than three-quarter of these loans you’re seeing were borrowed from the previous administrations, and we are paying back – we are doing what is supposed to be done, the way it is supposed to be done.

“So, when my colleague said that for every sixty-seven naira of any loan that was borrowed, we are using to pay, he should know that more than sixty naira of it are loans borrowed by the previous administration. And that is where we are.”

https://dailypost.ng/2021/09/22/obasanjo-yaradua-jonathan-responsible-for-nigerias-high-debt-under-buhari-senate/

A foolish failure blames everyone except himself.

51 Likes

Re: Senator Adeola Blames Nigeria's Present Debt Situation On Past Leaders by ogododo: 9:51pm On Sep 22, 2021
All dese people wey no get anything for upstairs. How can N10 tr be greater than more N23 tr. OBJ wey clear all our debts with Paris club. Lagos abi na Ogun suppose recall Adeola.
Lalasticlala na lie?

51 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Senator Adeola Blames Nigeria's Present Debt Situation On Past Leaders by chatinent: 10:02pm On Sep 22, 2021
Always blaming.

Full fool.

7 Likes

Re: Senator Adeola Blames Nigeria's Present Debt Situation On Past Leaders by thesicilian: 10:03pm On Sep 22, 2021
LordviccoDaGuru:
Gbam!!!

I have said this before and am still saying it... It's the damages PDP put Nigeria �� through that's bringing about loan. Buhari is not responsible for any loan he has been borrowing, if I am Buhari I will keep borrowing after all it was the past govt that caused it.

If we can't borrow then how can we stabilizer the economy after 16 locust useless years of the PDP?

The good president Buhari has done for Nigeria �� in future time to come we will still be enjoying it... I advise Buhari to come back again in 2023 he alone knows the key. Buhari till 2031 after 2031 Buhari will hand over to Yusuf Buhari.
Your gullibility is only exceeded by your ignorance.

61 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senator Adeola Blames Nigeria's Present Debt Situation On Past Leaders by beeblack: 10:04pm On Sep 22, 2021
Rubbish statement.

How many years did Ya'dua do? You people are deceiving us but you can never deceive your conscience

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Senator Adeola Blames Nigeria's Present Debt Situation On Past Leaders by funshint(m): 10:04pm On Sep 22, 2021
LordviccoDaGuru:
Gbam!!!

May God rule your life the way Buhari is ruling this country. Pls say Amen!

63 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senator Adeola Blames Nigeria's Present Debt Situation On Past Leaders by Fahdiga(m): 10:05pm On Sep 22, 2021
I know it must be a useful idiot from south that will blame his fellow southerner

18 Likes

Re: Senator Adeola Blames Nigeria's Present Debt Situation On Past Leaders by Tinubuadvocate: 10:12pm On Sep 22, 2021
I know this a sarcasm but you spoke well and what you said is purely true.
LordviccoDaGuru:
Gbam!!!

3 Likes

Re: Senator Adeola Blames Nigeria's Present Debt Situation On Past Leaders by Standing5(m): 10:12pm On Sep 22, 2021
Useless people.
Re: Senator Adeola Blames Nigeria's Present Debt Situation On Past Leaders by tommy589(m): 10:13pm On Sep 22, 2021
I thought Okonjo iweala,as Obasanjo finance minister negotiated and cleared our debts

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senator Adeola Blames Nigeria's Present Debt Situation On Past Leaders by Naijanascam: 10:17pm On Sep 22, 2021
Iberiberism at it's peak.....

Keep on borrowing and spending without a tangible plans for the future

Just to fulfil the 2018-2021 borrowing plan....
Now we know that borrowing has plan

4 Likes

Re: Senator Adeola Blames Nigeria's Present Debt Situation On Past Leaders by middlebelter(m): 10:20pm On Sep 22, 2021
If it is true that the Senator actually made the allegations and included OBJ, then he doesn't deserve to be a member of Nigeria Senate. Under OBj almost all the debts owed were paid. Debts accumulated by previous military regime after Obj government as a military ruler were cleared. It includes the one accummulated under Buhari as a Head of State.

I am also pained to read some childish comments here which included Obj in the blame. Please do simple research. Google still have some of the information you need on this subject. Don't be misled.

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senator Adeola Blames Nigeria's Present Debt Situation On Past Leaders by ThreeEyedRaven: 10:22pm On Sep 22, 2021
Lol

1 Like

Re: Senator Adeola Blames Nigeria's Present Debt Situation On Past Leaders by ogododo: 10:23pm On Sep 22, 2021
LordviccoDaGuru:
Gbam!!!

Adeola be like una wey get block head. De man no sabi how much bubu don borrow for 6 years. I no blame am, no only to say hi and nay he sabi.
Dem de shout sey dem dey borrow for infrastructures, how Adeola Solomon con change story. Dem think we be zombies like dere BMC.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senator Adeola Blames Nigeria's Present Debt Situation On Past Leaders by NGpatriot: 10:25pm On Sep 22, 2021
grin

1 Like

Re: Senator Adeola Blames Nigeria's Present Debt Situation On Past Leaders by NGpatriot: 10:25pm On Sep 22, 2021
grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senator Adeola Blames Nigeria's Present Debt Situation On Past Leaders by NGpatriot: 10:27pm On Sep 22, 2021
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

May 2015

Look at the date.

They crippled the economy so bad they were borrowing hundreds of billions to pay workers' salaries up until their last weeks in office before handing over to PMB

2 Likes

Re: Senator Adeola Blames Nigeria's Present Debt Situation On Past Leaders by ogododo: 10:28pm On Sep 22, 2021
NGpatriot:
grin

You don come up never tellus about lies wey u say say I dey like for Ibadan-Abeokuta rail, wey doors no open.

1 Like

Re: Senator Adeola Blames Nigeria's Present Debt Situation On Past Leaders by AntiBMC(m): 10:28pm On Sep 22, 2021
These shameless things have started blaming PDP for their failures again.

3 Likes

Re: Senator Adeola Blames Nigeria's Present Debt Situation On Past Leaders by NGpatriot: 10:29pm On Sep 22, 2021
[s]
AntiBMC:
These shameless things have started blaming PDP for their failures again.
[/s]

Some discussions are not for ignorant and unintelligent ipob BiafraNISTAN Jihadi miscreants.

2 Likes

Re: Senator Adeola Blames Nigeria's Present Debt Situation On Past Leaders by ogododo: 10:30pm On Sep 22, 2021
NGpatriot:
[s][/s]

Some discussions are not for ignorant and unintelligent ipob BiafraNISTAN Jihadi miscreants.

Lieing lieing man how una dey.

3 Likes

Re: Senator Adeola Blames Nigeria's Present Debt Situation On Past Leaders by Racoon(m): 10:31pm On Sep 22, 2021
Even when it is obvious they have have borrowed more than all the past governments they are accusing ? All the people under this government are always sounding incredibly stupid.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senator Adeola Blames Nigeria's Present Debt Situation On Past Leaders by NGpatriot: 10:35pm On Sep 22, 2021
Not too long after they entered office, they killed the economy, but couldn't hide or run away from their failure by 2014 so they had no choice but to declare austerity measures even though under this woman and Jona, they collected the largest oil earnings in the history of Nigeria..

2 Likes

Re: Senator Adeola Blames Nigeria's Present Debt Situation On Past Leaders by ogododo: 10:41pm On Sep 22, 2021
NGpatriot:
Not too long after they entered office, they killed the economy, but couldn't hide or run away from their failure by 2014 so they had no choice but to declare austerity measures even though under this woman and Jona, they collected the largest oil earnings in the history of Nigeria..

How much buhari don borrow? How much GEJ, Yardua, OBJ borrowed. Na how to reason be dat, compare and stopping acting like zombie!

3 Likes

Re: Senator Adeola Blames Nigeria's Present Debt Situation On Past Leaders by NGpatriot: 10:44pm On Sep 22, 2021
Racoon:
Even when it is obvious they have have borrowed more than all the past governments they are causing have ever borrowed combined? All the people under this government are always sounding incredibly stupid.

Did Jona and Okonjo return all the money they looted and the hundreds of billions they borrowed to pay worker's salaries after accumulating the largest oil earnings in the history of Nigeria?

If the economy was so good under them, why keep borrowing hundreds of billions to pay worker's salaries up until their last weeks in office before handing over to PMB?

You Igbos can not make elementary sense to save your ignorant lives..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senator Adeola Blames Nigeria's Present Debt Situation On Past Leaders by ogododo: 10:47pm On Sep 22, 2021
NGpatriot:

Did Jona and Okonjo return all the money they looted and the hundreds of billions they borrowed to pay worker's salaries after accumulating the largest oil earnings in the history of Nigeria?

If the economy was so good under them, why keep borrowing hundreds of billions to pay worker's salaries up until their last weeks in office before handing over to PMB?

You Igbos can not make elementary sense to save your ignorant lives..

You be confirmed angry grin angry angry angry angry angry. Same old stories he de post every. Fela don talk am
Re: Senator Adeola Blames Nigeria's Present Debt Situation On Past Leaders by NGpatriot: 10:48pm On Sep 22, 2021
ogododo:

How much buhari don borrow? How much GEJ, Yardua, OBJ borrowed. Na how to reason be dat, compare and stopping acting like zombie!

Same ignorant and unintelligent rambling question?

What do you do when the looters before you emptied the treasurer and were borrowing hundreds of billions to pay worker's salaries?

Is it not commonsense that they've spent all the money and there is no money and you have to borrow?

As they say, ipob mentality is always upside and down mentality..

1 Like

Re: Senator Adeola Blames Nigeria's Present Debt Situation On Past Leaders by realstars: 10:50pm On Sep 22, 2021
We Blame Buhari.
Re: Senator Adeola Blames Nigeria's Present Debt Situation On Past Leaders by NGpatriot: 10:51pm On Sep 22, 2021
So, let me get this straight...

You emptied your pocket and you have to borrow to pay your workers, but you expect the next man not to borrow because the money will magically appear from the sky..

Igbos are just too dumb and silly.. grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Senator Adeola Blames Nigeria's Present Debt Situation On Past Leaders by NGpatriot: 10:53pm On Sep 22, 2021
The looting and stealing clowns looted the last kobo, still no road, no hospital, not refinery, no electricity, nothing...just wholesale looting and stealing..

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Kogi: Agbakoba Heads To Court, Insists EFCC Must Not Undermine Rule Of Law / 6 APC Chieftains, Others Defect To PDP In Jigawa (Pictures) / Photo: Osinbajo Leads APC Legal Team

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.