Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,039 members, 7,818,079 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:13 AM

Life At 30 When You're Not Married - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Life At 30 When You're Not Married (28428 Views)

Why Are You Not Married (28+ Men Only)? / You're Not A Nigerian If You Didn't Do These Things As A Child / If Your Are Old Enough To Get Married, Why Are You Not Married? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Life At 30 When You're Not Married by kemisuga(f): 12:30pm On Feb 22, 2010
@ Poster - thank u for this thread, I think u did this becos of me cool
@ bee444 - thank u for your words! cool

I was depressed, but after going thru this;
I got my life again.
I got my hope again.
I got relieved.
I got many message.
I got a feeling. cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Life At 30 When You're Not Married by DeepSoul(f): 8:34pm On Feb 26, 2010
Wow. I'm not 30. I'm 7yrs away from 30. Yet I felt a strong connection with the issues being raised here.

I am in a 2yr+ r/ship and we are supposed to be married smtime June-ish. But these days, I ask myself if i can live with this man whom I love.

The things he does and his level of reasoning (esp when he's upset) are "jaw-droppingly" amazing.

because we have been together for almost three years, I have seen all his good and bad sides.

I love him, yeah. But I'm consumed with thoughts about a future with him. Negative thoughts.

I am still very young, on paper. But I feel so old. Right from when I was born, I'd always been wayyy ahead of my age.

I have this feeling of impending doom come over me when I think of marriage (with him). But I am scared to take that step and leave.
I ask myself if I'd ever find sm1 else I can love. . . .I know guys will come, but how would I feel about them? ( I can be very "unfeeling" smtimes!)
I don't wanna be 30 and single (sorry, ladies).

I have so much to do with my life. I'd like to start having kids early, get it over with and continue with doing my thing.
My mum always says "the earlier, the better".

But reading posts such as the one below, I have this sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. . . .

showoff:

Like I was saying,we never seem to reason alike,he doesn't see things my own way and I don't see things his own way really his reasoning is very awkward.His thoughts are old school.I could remember one day I woke up in the midnight and was looking at him.I was like is it me that married dis man?How can?U know.When he is wrong he would never agree and say sorry,instead he will be arguing blindly.as in using Ogboju.I have one weakness,which is I dont know how to hide my feelings.I believe wen u offend me or do something wrong,i will tell u strait off.I might go on and on explaining myself until av said everything I have in mind,after which I will feel relieved and he doesn't want to understand that, that is me.Anyway I was like av married him already wot can I do?Let us continue to patch it. He was not caring not to talk of romantic.He doesn't know how to pet a woman.A times i will intentional frown my face u know,like wanting him to show affection and ask me wot is wrong with me,just to pet me,but he doesn't even know whether u are happy or not.No cuddling nothing.Just imagine his insensitivity.Imagine u calling somebody your hubby,he would neva call to ask me if av gotten to the office or not when i leave home in the morning especially wen it rains.I will be d one calling him most of the times.We had several issues really,like him wanting to travel and not tell me beforehand.he might just tell 2 days to dat time.u know.It got to a point that he would just tell me sori i av an urgent biz call,am on d way am in Ibadan.Well he started behaving like a mafia,as if he is playing games with me.He will tell me he is going to A and A friend mit jst call me not 4 amebo sake.How are you?I saw your hubby at another location and I asked him to greet u.hope he delivered my msg,u know.And he would not want me to challenge him.He keeps late night and he doesnt want me to complain.He will want to make love with me and he will never want to do pre-intimacy.U know.To be continued
Re: Life At 30 When You're Not Married by truphie(f): 12:05am On Feb 27, 2010
Deep Soul:

[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][color=#006600]Wow. I'm not 30. I'm 7yrs away from 30. Yet I felt a strong connection with the issues being raised here.

I love him, yeah. But I'm consumed with thoughts about a future with him. Negative thoughts.

I am still very young, on paper. But I feel so old. Right from when I was born, I'd always been wayyy ahead of my age.

I have this feeling of impending doom come over me when I think of marriage (with him). But I am scared to take that step and leave.
I ask myself if I'd ever find sm1 else I can love. . . .I know guys will come, but how would I feel about them? ( I can be very "unfeeling" smtimes!)

Always trust your instinct.
Re: Life At 30 When You're Not Married by Sissy3(f): 2:22am On Feb 28, 2010
Deep Soul:

Wow. I'm not 30. I'm 7yrs away from 30. Yet I felt a strong connection with the issues being raised here.

I am in a 2yr+ r/ship and we are supposed to be married smtime June-ish. [color=Black]But these days, I ask myself if i can live with this man whom I love.

The things he does and his level of reasoning (esp when he's upset) are "jaw-droppingly" amazing.

because we have been together for almost three years, I have seen all his good and bad sides.

I don't wanna be 30 and single (sorry, ladies).

I have so much to do with my life. I'd like to start having kids early, get it over with and continue with doing my thing.
My mum always says "the earlier, the better".

But reading posts such as the one below, I have this sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. . . .[/color]

my dear, think very deeply about your decisions. sometimes we only have one chance in life to make/get it right. these things you see about him that makes you feel this way, you should DEFINITELY NOT IGNORE it. and dont ever have the mindset that "oh well, its a just a thought, maybe he will change after marriage".  men hardly change after marriage, for many it gets worse.  take it from me.

and please dear, free yourself from that popular myth "will i ever find love again"? you are wayyyyyy too young, whether you believe it or not, to be stuck up in such thinking. and even younger to be stuck up in a marriage you will live everyday regretting.

use your head (now that you still can) to make wise decisions not with your emotions/love.
Re: Life At 30 When You're Not Married by H2O2: 7:47am On Feb 28, 2010
Go ahead and dump him. When you're 35, single, and desperate you'll be back here telling us about your "regrets" .
Re: Life At 30 When You're Not Married by Sissy3(f): 1:14am On Mar 01, 2010
H2O2:

Go ahead and dump him.  When you're 35, single, and desperate you'll be back here telling us about your "regrets" .

OR maybe go and marry him. when she is 25 or 26 then come back here and tell us how he treats her a like a piece of trash and then we will all ask in chorus " didnt you guys date? didnt you see all this then? why did you go ahead and marry?" next it will be "some women are silly, women and their desperation for marriage and how they always go for the bad guys who will treat them like a piece of shi[i]t[/i] all in the name marriage"

you think that sounds better
Re: Life At 30 When You're Not Married by Nwaka77: 2:40am On Mar 01, 2010
~Sissy~:

OR maybe go and marry him. when she is 25 or 26 then come back here and tell us how he treats her a like a piece of trash and then we will all ask in chorus " didnt you guys date? didnt you see all this then? why did you go ahead and marry?" next it will be "some women are silly, women and their desperation for marriage and how they always go for the bad guys who will treat them like a piece of shi[i]t[/i] all in the name marriage"

Thank you my sister.

@Poster
Look at Nairaland and all the sorry stories of infidelity, people catching STD from their spouse and the story of "I am married but in love with another". Why can't people wait on God's time? Besides children come from him. We humans always think we have it all figured out and we have our destiny in our hands. Wrong! Wait on God's time and you will have no regret.
Re: Life At 30 When You're Not Married by H2O2: 5:32am On Mar 01, 2010
~Sissy~:

both scenarios are purely speculative since no one knows what tomorrow holds. like i said, if she's okay and sees no problem with the possibility of being 35, single, and desperate then more grease to her elbow.
Re: Life At 30 When You're Not Married by no1madman(m): 5:03pm On Mar 01, 2010
Nwaka77:

Thank you my sister.

@Poster
Look at Nairaland and all the sorry stories of infidelity, people catching STD from their spouse and the story of "I am married but in love with another". Why can't people wait on God's time? Besides children come from him. We humans always think we have it all figured out and we have our destiny in our hands. Wrong! Wait on God's time and you will have no regret.
when's God's time?single women knows y they r not married. .something is definitely wrong somewhere.
women have to apply common sense when choosing a partner and d ability to  choose at d right time.
note:Marriage is not  4 everyone. .some cannot cope with Marital stress,some r not even marriage materials. .i'll say remain single if u cannot handle marriage because u r better off being single. .as a matter of fact it's a double standard.
Re: Life At 30 When You're Not Married by Sissy3(f): 9:45am On Mar 05, 2010
H2O2:

both scenarios are purely speculative since no one knows what tomorrow holds. like i said, if she's okay and sees no problem with the possibility of being 35, single, and desperate then more grease to her elbow.

but why the " possibility of being 35, single, and desperate" because if she leaves her BF that makes her feel unease then shes doomed and will never find another husband or BF again

youre still reiterating the same thing which is suck it up and deal it, because if you leave him now, you have the possibility of never finding another man, even at the tend age of 23
Re: Life At 30 When You're Not Married by H2O2: 9:59am On Mar 05, 2010
~Sissy~:

but why the " possibility of being 35, single, and desperate" because if she leaves her BF that makes her feel unease then shes doomed and will never find another husband or BF again
Because that limit tends to reality dear. It's not an unheard of anomaly as you're making it seem . . . it actually happens.

I'm not directly opposed to her dumping him. If she's dumping him for precarious reasons, then it is more than likely that she could fall into a similar hole again with the next man she gets involed with.
If she's aware of what's missing and she knows what she's looking for then since she has this man she can seek it out in him; it could be a simple excuse of cold feet that's causing her to doubt her love. If the man in question does not have what she wants then of course the best remedy for the situation would be to quit the relationship.

youre still reiterating the same thing which is suck it up and deal it, because if you leave him now, you have the possibility of never finding another man, even at the tend age of 23
I disagree. I won't tell her to suck it up and deal with it, but I am making sure she's aware of the huge possibility that it could happen to her. Thinking it won't happen to you means you're just not thinking as they say.
Re: Life At 30 When You're Not Married by Sissy3(f): 10:13am On Mar 05, 2010
H2O2:

Because that limit tends to reality dear. It's not an unheard of anomaly as you're making it seem . . . it actually happens.

not making it seem/sound 'anomaly', my issue is why make the mistake of stepping into something with this unease mindset while you still have the chance to make a free decision. a bad relationship is always better than a bad marriage.

I'm not directly opposed to her dumping him. If she's dumping him for precarious reasons, then it is more than likely that she could fall into a similar hole again with the next man she gets involed with.

how so?

If she's aware of what's missing and she knows what she's looking for then since she has this man she can seek it out in him;

meaning, work it out him and see if he changes?

I disagree. I won't tell her to suck it up and deal with it, but I am making sure she's aware of the huge possibility that it could happen to her. Thinking it won't happen to you means you're just not thinking as they say.

in other words, think wise before leaving this your BF, because a bird at hand is always better than those on the tree?
Re: Life At 30 When You're Not Married by H2O2: 10:27am On Mar 05, 2010
~Sissy~:

not making it seem/sound 'anomaly', my issue is why make the mistake of stepping into something with this unease mindset while you still have the chance to make a free decision. a bad relationship is always better than a bad marriage.
This was never in doubt.

how so?
It simply means she doesn't know what she wants.

meaning, work it out him and see if he changes?
Meaning try to work it out and see if a change is possible. If it's a missing component that cannot be change then find someone else.

in other words, think wise before leaving this your BF, because a bird at hand is always better than those on the tree?

Be wise with your decision.

I think you understand what I'm driving at.
Re: Life At 30 When You're Not Married by Sissy3(f): 10:35am On Mar 05, 2010
H2O2:

Meaning try to work it out and see if a change is possible. If it's a missing component that cannot be change then find someone else.

Finally!. the way constructed your previous statements, seemed as if you were onto something else. like it was a do or die affair.
Re: Life At 30 When You're Not Married by H2O2: 10:37am On Mar 05, 2010
It's never been a do or die affair, but life's not always greener on the other side either.
Re: Life At 30 When You're Not Married by Sissy3(f): 10:44am On Mar 05, 2010
H2O2:

It's never been a do or die affair, but life's not always greener on the other side either.

got it. still doesnt mean one should be eating the dust either especially in this day and time
Re: Life At 30 When You're Not Married by H2O2: 8:19pm On Mar 05, 2010
~Sissy~:

got it. still doesnt mean one should be eating the dust either especially in this day and time
To quantify that, if the level of wickedness in this man is that alarmingly high when he's upset - as this woman claims she's seen the good and the worst, she should take the initiative to leave now instead of being blindly in love. If the anger at its height has not driven her away by now, I really don't know what other answers she's looking for . . . other than the uncertainties within her that's causing her to have goose bumps or get cold feet. It happens to plenty of people. Nonetheless, she can either introspect and figure out what she wants like I said earlier, or she can simply end it now instead of both party wasting their time.
Re: Life At 30 When You're Not Married by Sissy3(f): 3:38am On Mar 06, 2010
H2O2:

To quantify that, if the level of wickedness in this man is that alarmingly high when he's upset - as this woman claims she's seen the good and the worst, she should take the initiative to leave now instead of being blindly in love. If the anger at its height has not driven her away by now, I really don't know what other answers she's looking for . . . other than the uncertainties within her that's causing her to have goose bumps or get cold feet. It happens to plenty of people. Nonetheless, she can either introspect and figure out what she wants like I said earlier, or she can simply end it now instead of both party wasting their time.

agree. the early, the better
Re: Life At 30 When You're Not Married by SALady(f): 4:41pm On Mar 06, 2010
If it feels right go for it when the fun stops pray for answers time will tell all,
Re: Life At 30 When You're Not Married by DeepSoul(f): 1:57pm On Mar 08, 2010
~Sissy~:

agree. the early, the better

Altho I see reason(s) with some issues raised by you, you'd agree that it's much much easier said than done, right?

Esp when you arent the one wearing the painful shoes. . . .
Re: Life At 30 When You're Not Married by Obelomo: 4:26pm On Mar 11, 2010
My mother had me late, so I am 23+now, and she is kind of pressuring me to get married, well actually have kids soon. I think 24 or 25 is the right age, well acutally before 30 is the right age to get married.
Re: Life At 30 When You're Not Married by SUKKIE(m): 11:55pm On Mar 11, 2010
@Deep Soul

I defintely know where u r coming from.Lest u forget,we all ve our weaknesses,hence he needs u to work on d anger mgt issue. Mind u,the next dude outthere could be strugglying with infidelity and xyz addiction;u just neva know,it's pretty much of a gamble.The brass tacks simply denotes that u cant after it all in any relationship and there are bound to be challenges every now n then. Do a personal appraisal if he ticks 6 or probably 7 out of ur boxes,I think that's fair enuff. Pray abt it as well ,u should be alright.
Re: Life At 30 When You're Not Married by chic2pimp(m): 2:32am On Apr 04, 2010
no1madman:

when's God's time?[/b]single women knows y they r not married. .something is definitely wrong somewhere.
women have to apply common sense when choosing a partner and d ability to choose at d right time.
note:Marriage is not 4 everyone. .some cannot cope with Marital stress,some r not even marriage materials. .i'll say remain single if u cannot handle marriage because u r better off being single. .as a matter of fact it's a double standard.
Or better should the Atheist amongst us also wait for 'GOD's Time'? undecided

@ POST
[b]MARRY WHENEVER YOU ARE READY(WHEN IT SUITS YOU)
Re: Life At 30 When You're Not Married by Nwaka77: 2:58am On Apr 04, 2010
no1madman:

when's God's time?single women knows y they r not married. .something is definitely wrong somewhere.
women have to apply common sense when choosing a partner and d ability to choose at d right time.
note:Marriage is not 4 everyone. .some cannot cope with Marital stress,some r not even marriage materials. .i'll say remain single if u cannot handle marriage because u r better off being single. .as a matter of fact it's a double standard.

I am not God so I do not have an answer to your question. When the right man comes along, one will know. I chose to wait and got married to a man that I thank God for everyday. If I had bowed to stupid Nigerians and their pressure to marry, I would have missed out. I thank God everyday that I waited on Him and He has blessed hubby and I with healthy, beautiful kids. What more can I ask for? And I married in my 30's. I know those who married in their 20's and the marraige is already over. Also, marraige should not be forced down people's throat. There is nothing wrong if someone chooses not to marry because in Nigeria most of you do not honor your marital vows anyway! so what's with the hollier than thou attitude? what's with the I-am-better-than-you-because-I married syndrome that I see amongst most Nigerians? Hypocrites! For the period of time I lived in Nigeria, I saw the way married Nigerian men and women treat each other; like crap! Like a slave/master relationship! No mutual respect, no understanding, no love, no nothing. Adultery was it! Married Naija Men sleeping with university girls and what have you. And you people call that marraige? Please spare me! And my advice was for those who have made God the centerpiece of their lives. I am not talking to those who believe in harikrishna, African gods and dieties or nothing at all.

Peace out!
Re: Life At 30 When You're Not Married by Sissy3(f): 3:27am On Apr 04, 2010
@ Deep Soul

Dear, i am in no way suggesting you leave your bf/finance, you know him and yourself better. you probably misunderstood my point, all i am saying is that you follow your heart and instincts and not have the mindset that 'he will probably change after marriage' most women have. that's all. so there is nothing like 'is easier say than done' in the point i was making, experience have taught me so. and like you said, its the person who wears the shoe that knows where it hurts most. goodluck to you dear.
Re: Life At 30 When You're Not Married by ono(m): 1:49pm On Oct 07, 2010
Deep Soul,
Come online on yahoo. Lets talk. We've discussed this several times, remember? I'm waiting - not for long though, I'm at work.
Re: Life At 30 When You're Not Married by favourite(f): 2:52pm On Oct 07, 2010
It all depends on how you are taking it. Family pressures can make one feel as if she is the only one that is left behind. I am happily married but i didnt give in to my family pressure before i got married.

I can rememeber before i got married, anytime i want to travel for any xmas my aunties will be calling me to ask if there is anything thing on board. Whether they should start getting ready for ashebi before i come back home. Can you imagine. I will jokingly reply them that im even coming back to know if there is anything they have for me. This thing continued till i gave one of them a serious warning.

Again its not all married friends that behave some how. My friends that got married before me were all wonderful, if you see the way we always relate you will think we are all sisters.

My advice is that you has to be yourself, dont be pushed to marry someone you dont love. Amend some of your characters to a better one because men see all these things. Wear decent clothes. Occupy yourself with something good ;ike a job or a good business, it will keep your mind off the pressure. Above all pray to God. Do not marry because of wealth or personnality because it does not last.
Re: Life At 30 When You're Not Married by shithapuns: 5:59pm On Dec 30, 2010
Re: Life At 30 When You're Not Married by oraclefemi(m): 11:49pm On Apr 07, 2012
there is something wrong if youre 30 and single , because if it is not wrong you wont be discussing it on here, ive seen girls all act a fool in the club like they are everything and i be like see them oo after a while they will start getting desperate cause theyve allowed their beauty get into their head and wont allow guys talk to them or scrutinize every guy in their life using money and good life as measurements, get off the facking Love Machine and get a man in your life ...if you dont have issues you will have a man ..its easy, find the guy, definitely he wont fit all your dream man requirements thats when compromise comes in , slowy accept his faults cause trust me you have yours...single at 30 wtf have you been screwing since 18?
Re: Life At 30 When You're Not Married by dynamite2012: 5:29am On Apr 08, 2012
Why do women tell themselves stupid lies about love and marriage? Why would anyone think women should get pickier at the age of 30? That's pure foolishness. Sorry, at the age of 30, your days of being choosy and selective are over for two reasons:

1) The pool of suitable men for you (i.e. men between the ages of 28-45) is now significantly smaller than the pool you had when you were 25. Men that might have looked your way a few years ago will look away now because you're no longer age-appropriate. The pool gets even smaller if you're hoping to marry a man that's at least on the same level with you educationally or socio-economically. This is just the hard, unvarnished truth.

2) Even given your now limited pool of eligible bachelors, the very best men are already taken! The age of 30 is not the age to start being picky over ultimately irrelevant things. At 30, your criteria should be rational and not emotional/idealistic. You should be looking for traits like hard-working, intelligent, emotionally stable, loving, respectful, self-disciplined and spiritual instead of focusing on ideal traits like doctor/engineer/banker-tall-dark-rich-and-handsome-with-a-6pack-and-a-big-kondo. If you could pull those kinds of "ideal" men, you would have done so at the age of 24, 25 or 26. Now that you're 30, you had better cut your dreams according to reality. If you need a reality check, go talk to the thousands of stunning, successful Lagos mamas that waited too long until they turned 37 and ultimately had to settle for ANYTHING that produces viable sperm (or worse still, a married man!!!!).

It's so tragic that Hollywood/Nollywood has sold us all a bag of dreams that's based on complete and utter nonsense. Why do women still foolishly think a successful marriage has anything to do with love especially when research shows that temperamentally-suited couples tend to grow in love together, AFTER marriage. That's why arranged marriages still work well, even in this day and age! It just makes me sad when I see foolish, old maids still looking for thunder-and-lightening romance at the age of 35!!!! Puhlease!!!!! That shit is just plain foolish and unrealistic. The sooner we start telling ourselves the truth, the better for everybody.
Re: Life At 30 When You're Not Married by Nobody: 9:33am On Apr 08, 2012
Life from day 1 to the end is FUN. Nothing is as good as being alive,

1 Like

Re: Life At 30 When You're Not Married by oraclefemi(m): 1:22pm On Apr 08, 2012
dynamite2012: Why do women tell themselves stupid lies about love and marriage? Why would anyone think women should get pickier at the age of 30? That's pure foolishness. Sorry, at the age of 30, your days of being choosy and selective are over for two reasons:

1) The pool of suitable men for you (i.e. men between the ages of 28-45) is now significantly smaller than the pool you had when you were 25. Men that might have looked your way a few years ago will look away now because you're no longer age-appropriate. The pool gets even smaller if you're hoping to marry a man that's at least on the same level with you educationally or socio-economically. This is just the hard, unvarnished truth.

2) Even given your now limited pool of eligible bachelors, the very best men are already taken! The age of 30 is not the age to start being picky over ultimately irrelevant things. At 30, your criteria should be rational and not emotional/idealistic. You should be looking for traits like hard-working, intelligent, emotionally stable, loving, respectful, self-disciplined and spiritual instead of focusing on ideal traits like doctor/engineer/banker-tall-dark-rich-and-handsome-with-a-6pack-and-a-big-kondo. If you could pull those kinds of "ideal" men, you would have done so at the age of 24, 25 or 26. Now that you're 30, you had better cut your dreams according to reality. If you need a reality check, go talk to the thousands of stunning, successful Lagos mamas that waited too long until they turned 37 and ultimately had to settle for ANYTHING that produces viable sperm (or worse still, a married man!!!!).

It's so tragic that Hollywood/Nollywood has sold us all a bag of dreams that's based on complete and utter nonsense. Why do women still foolishly think a successful marriage has anything to do with love especially when research shows that temperamentally-suited couples tend to grow in love together, AFTER marriage. That's why arranged marriages still work well, even in this day and age! It just makes me sad when I see foolish, old maids still looking for thunder-and-lightening romance at the age of 35!!!! Puhlease!!!!! That shit is just plain foolish and unrealistic. The sooner we start telling ourselves the truth, the better for everybody.

Please tell them oo , with that their i am single and happy rubbish ...if you at 30 and no man or children, who go bury you? your mama don born you and if you don reproduce na third mainland bridge those corpse dey end...i have forgotten wat yorubas call such a corpse

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Can You Allow Your Wife, Sister Or Girlfriend Work In A Hotel? / How Can I Stop My Uncles From Selling My Father's Property(land)? / "Ese Should Abort Her Pregnancy" - Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.