Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,361 members, 7,819,297 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:53 PM

Negris, Lasg Launch 10 Mw Bi-fuel Ipp In Lagos! Finally,24-hours Electricity - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Negris, Lasg Launch 10 Mw Bi-fuel Ipp In Lagos! Finally,24-hours Electricity (5773 Views)

Ebonyi Signs $1.14bn Contract For Construction Of IPP / Nigeria Will Overtake Us If It Has 24 Hours Electricity, Security’ / 24 Hours Electricity In Rivers State? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Negris, Lasg Launch 10 Mw Bi-fuel Ipp In Lagos! Finally,24-hours Electricity by jason123: 12:52am On May 31, 2011
In an effort aimed at ameliorating the stress faced by Lagosians due to incessant power outages, the Negris group in conjunction with the Lagos state government has completed and launched the first truly independent 10 Megawatts bi-fuel power generating plant, thereby taking some of its citizens off the national grid.

T[b]hermal power plant[/b]

According to Governor Babatunde Fashola of Lagos state who officially commissioned the project during the week, the project immediately puts out of use a minimum of 30 diesel generating sets of between 100–1,000 KVA each, eliminating the inevitable pollution; noise and carbon monoxide caused by generators. “This plant also has a vast cost saving component to the state government of 46 percent over project whole life cycle.”

Also speaking Abidoye Ayoola, Executive Vice Chairman, Negris Group said the Independent Power Plant (IPP) which is being commissioned has an initial capacity to generate 10MW of electricity to be supplied to the target consumers on a continuous basis. “The plant is dedicated to critical Lagos State Government institutions as well as to power street lights in Lagos Island. The scope of the off take agreement covers generation, medium voltage distribution and supply of electricity on a twenty-four hourly basis.” He said.

Furthermore, this plant is conceived and engineered to fire primarily on gas(CNG at the beginning,) with the option to run on liquid fuel such as Automotive Gas Oil (AGO or diesel) in the event gas is not available. The plant is therefore bi-fuel designed.

The layout allows for ease of expansion to be able to meet the demand for electricity by consumers in the Lagos Island who cannot be served from the limited initial capacity. Numerous enquiries in this respect have been received.

We thank the Governor of Lagos State for the vision that led to the actualization of this project. It is even more endearing that the administration of his Excellency, Mr. Babatunde Raji Fashola, believes and promotes Public Private Partnerships (PPP) as a strategy for tackling the critical infrastructure deficit at all levels of governance.”

Ayoola noted that the project is a practical expression in the quest to solve the perennial electricity supply shortages which have hampered the quality of life of the people and the growth of the economy.

The project fits into the framework of the power sector reform agenda which was launched a few months ago by President, Goodluck Jonathan

“We also thank Messrs Fidelity Bank Plc for their financial support and timely disbursements for this project.

Finally, we thank the Lagos State Government, particularly the Power Committee for choosing our company after a rigorous process of evaluation. We recall the numerous negotiation/clarification meetings, presentations to the State Executive Council, the arguments and counter-arguments which preceded and led to the Power Off-take Agreement, and construction of this plant. We assure you that the confidence reposed in us is not misplaced through the construction and performance of this plant.

Your Excellency, you can count on NEGRIS Group to continue to support your government in the quest to provide reliable electricity to the people of Lagos State” he said.

Responding, an elated Governor Fashola said “We thought through the problem of powering critical public facilities like court houses and hospitals. We searched diligently for practical solutions.

We subsequently found and collaborated with a reputable independent power producer. The result of that partnership is this 10MW electricity generating facility, the Island Power Project.

The initiative of this project was induced by the necessity to consolidate the Justice Sector Reform agenda of the Lagos State Government. It was originally designed as a scheme which we tagged “powering justice” proposed to supply electricity only to the Lagos State Government Court facilities in the Lagos Island axis, High Court (Igbosere and Annex at TBS) and JIC Taylor Court House at Igbosere. The project was subsequently expanded to accommodate government health facilities and street lights on 20 streets along that corridor.

This facility, built to highest global thermal operating plant standards will now provide 24 hours constant power supply to public facilities within the Lagos Island axis.

The project which includes an 18km dedicated underground distribution network will supply power to the General Hospital (Lagos Island), the High Court, High Court Annex JIC Taylor Court House, Igbosere; Maternity Hospital and the State House in Marina”.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/05/negris-lasg-launch-10-mw-bi-fuel-ipp-in-lagos/thermal/
Re: Negris, Lasg Launch 10 Mw Bi-fuel Ipp In Lagos! Finally,24-hours Electricity by jason123: 12:55am On May 31, 2011
C'mon Nigerians, this is what we have always wanted to kick start our economy. 24 hours electricity? Wow. Even though its for some citizens of Lagos state FOR NOW. After sometime, it should get to every one!

Thanks Fashola!!! smiley
Re: Negris, Lasg Launch 10 Mw Bi-fuel Ipp In Lagos! Finally,24-hours Electricity by aljharem3: 1:01am On May 31, 2011
good fashs man

fashy jonathan c'mont office 2015!!
Re: Negris, Lasg Launch 10 Mw Bi-fuel Ipp In Lagos! Finally,24-hours Electricity by jason123: 1:05am On May 31, 2011
alj_harem:

good fashs man

fashy jonathan c'mont office 2015!!

Corrected!
Re: Negris, Lasg Launch 10 Mw Bi-fuel Ipp In Lagos! Finally,24-hours Electricity by jmaine: 1:13am On May 31, 2011
Sensational thread topic cheesy cheesy , but hey !! this is a good start even though it is tailored mainly for the Government institutions and a number of streets lights on the island
Re: Negris, Lasg Launch 10 Mw Bi-fuel Ipp In Lagos! Finally,24-hours Electricity by jason123: 1:30am On May 31, 2011
jmaine:

Sensational thread topic cheesy cheesy , but hey !! this is a good start even though it is tailored mainly for the Government institutions and a number of streets lights on the island

cheesy cheesy cheesy grin

On a real, he deserves the praises, don't you think?
Re: Negris, Lasg Launch 10 Mw Bi-fuel Ipp In Lagos! Finally,24-hours Electricity by jason123: 2:19am On May 31, 2011
Re: Negris, Lasg Launch 10 Mw Bi-fuel Ipp In Lagos! Finally,24-hours Electricity by talk2hb1(m): 1:46pm On May 31, 2011
Baba ni Guvnor Fashola,
Eko oni baje oooooh
Re: Negris, Lasg Launch 10 Mw Bi-fuel Ipp In Lagos! Finally,24-hours Electricity by ZIMDRILL(m): 1:56pm On May 31, 2011
as much it is better than nothing but that aint the way forward

those are just dieseal generators

i was hoping something like a rubbish powered plant, burn rubbish to heat water steam turns the turbines wala electricity

[flash=400,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmtOuAed5nM[/flash]
Re: Negris, Lasg Launch 10 Mw Bi-fuel Ipp In Lagos! Finally,24-hours Electricity by jmaine: 2:20pm On May 31, 2011
^^ The Lagos State Government muted such novel idea of using waste to produce electricity and the Olusosun landfill site ( Ojota) was designated  to harbor that project  . . . Maybe the feasibility of such method to cater  for the massive power demands of the state led to the suspension of that action plan . . Am Hoping that route would be developed to further strenghten the health is wealth approach of the Lagos state Government  . . . where Municipal waste would be profitable to have as tool for development . .
Re: Negris, Lasg Launch 10 Mw Bi-fuel Ipp In Lagos! Finally,24-hours Electricity by tlops(m): 2:32pm On May 31, 2011
^^^no mind them,
Re: Negris, Lasg Launch 10 Mw Bi-fuel Ipp In Lagos! Finally,24-hours Electricity by scopusng(m): 3:16pm On May 31, 2011
Will they still be paying monthly PHCN bill?
Re: Negris, Lasg Launch 10 Mw Bi-fuel Ipp In Lagos! Finally,24-hours Electricity by born2boink(m): 3:30pm On May 31, 2011
scopusng:

I don't think you, you don't know Good Sweet attract much money, Your PHCN will double date and the name will be change to Power Releasing Company of Nigeria(PRCN)
Re: Negris, Lasg Launch 10 Mw Bi-fuel Ipp In Lagos! Finally,24-hours Electricity by ektbear: 3:30pm On May 31, 2011
scopusng:

No, they are going off grid.

Entirely disconnected from PHCN
Re: Negris, Lasg Launch 10 Mw Bi-fuel Ipp In Lagos! Finally,24-hours Electricity by DEEHASAL(m): 3:36pm On May 31, 2011
scopusng:

NOOOO!!!!!
Re: Negris, Lasg Launch 10 Mw Bi-fuel Ipp In Lagos! Finally,24-hours Electricity by Nobody: 4:13pm On May 31, 2011
Not a bad initiative.
Government should aspire to pursue other forms of power generation
Wind power can be utilised especially in some Northern states where wind speeds exceeds 3.5m/s
Re: Negris, Lasg Launch 10 Mw Bi-fuel Ipp In Lagos! Finally,24-hours Electricity by shawonlese: 4:44pm On May 31, 2011
I will like to give kudos to the state government. It is a welcome development.

Whilst not one to spoil the Tea party, analyzing the Bi-fuel requirement, this project is just a big generator that has been kept somewhere to generate electricity. After a while, the consumers will start groaning as the price of diesel goes up.

A power plant is fired by gas, coal, LNG, wind turbine, hydro power, nuclear etc, and other sources of cheap energy, not diesel that is N160 per litre. **Countdown to when the customers will start moaning of the electricity tariff.

What stops me from buying two giant generators in my community fired by diesel, to supply consumers with electricty and charge them? IPP to the customers.
Re: Negris, Lasg Launch 10 Mw Bi-fuel Ipp In Lagos! Finally,24-hours Electricity by Reference(m): 5:04pm On May 31, 2011
shawonlese:

Whilst not one to spoil the Tea party, analyzing the Bi-fuel requirement, this project is just a big generator that has been kept somewhere to generate electricity. After a while, the consumers will start groaning as the price of diesel goes up.

A power plant is fired by gas, coal, LNG, wind turbine, hydro power, nuclear etc, and other sources of cheap energy, not diesel that is N160 per litre. **Countdown to when the customers will start moaning of the electricity tariff.

What stops me from buying two giant generators in my community fired by diesel, to supply consumers with electricty and charge them? IPP to the customers.

Actually that is precisely what an IPP should be. If you are willing to invest in transmission and distribution then you're on and you should technically seek approval. However the power business is very much like any mass market high value business. Inputs are very expensive and rely on scale for effective turnover. You may not be able to break even quickly with just a couple of villages.

What the government should have been doing while it fixes the power problem can be modeled after what happens in developing countries whereby folks are paid to inject power into the grid on a commercial basis. If for instance I have a large industrial complex and a very powerful plant I can be paid for injecting excess power into the system not taxed for it as it currently happens. This will encourage smaller scale investments which can hold sway while the bigger plans come on stream. Just my two cents.

1 Like

Re: Negris, Lasg Launch 10 Mw Bi-fuel Ipp In Lagos! Finally,24-hours Electricity by ektbear: 5:09pm On May 31, 2011
shawonlese:

60%+ of the electricity generated comes from NG

Diesel alone is an expensive way to generate electricity. . . your neighbors wouldn't want to buy
Re: Negris, Lasg Launch 10 Mw Bi-fuel Ipp In Lagos! Finally,24-hours Electricity by aletheia(m): 5:39pm On May 31, 2011
smiley

Re: Negris, Lasg Launch 10 Mw Bi-fuel Ipp In Lagos! Finally,24-hours Electricity by vaLasce(m): 6:43pm On May 31, 2011
fantastic!
fashola!
action man!
Re: Negris, Lasg Launch 10 Mw Bi-fuel Ipp In Lagos! Finally,24-hours Electricity by Fhemmmy: 6:46pm On May 31, 2011
Fashola . . . Thanks you.
Re: Negris, Lasg Launch 10 Mw Bi-fuel Ipp In Lagos! Finally,24-hours Electricity by bandely(m): 7:07pm On May 31, 2011
aletheia:

smiley
Me Likey! grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Negris, Lasg Launch 10 Mw Bi-fuel Ipp In Lagos! Finally,24-hours Electricity by Dsense(m): 7:39pm On May 31, 2011
OP.

Brilliant Project . . .Honestly, we ask nothing more than this . . .Thank God, things are being changed and improved gradually!
Re: Negris, Lasg Launch 10 Mw Bi-fuel Ipp In Lagos! Finally,24-hours Electricity by lookmangiw(m): 9:34pm On May 31, 2011
a meagre 10 MW is not sufficient and i don't think i can count it as an achievement from my own point of thought.
Re: Negris, Lasg Launch 10 Mw Bi-fuel Ipp In Lagos! Finally,24-hours Electricity by lookmangiw(m): 9:37pm On May 31, 2011
a meagre 10 MW is not sufficient and  i don't think i can count it as an achievement from my own point of thought.
Re: Negris, Lasg Launch 10 Mw Bi-fuel Ipp In Lagos! Finally,24-hours Electricity by jason123: 9:46pm On May 31, 2011
lookmangiw:

a meagre 10 MW is not sufficient and  i don't think i can count it as an achievement from my own point of thought.

Good but more is being added as we speak! Just today, this came out:

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/05/fashola-commends-fidelity-bank-for-financing-14-mega-watts/

Governor Babatude Fashola has commended Fidelity Bank Plc for supporting the Independent Power Project (IPP) in the state, urging other banks to emulate the bank in the quest to develop the country in general.

He gave the commendation during the commissioning ceremony of the Lagos Island Power Project last weekend saying, “ State and Federal Government should create enabling environment to enable the private sector to participate in developing the economy. Once good governance is in place the private sector would be ready to key in and take advantage of opportunities that will arise.”

Governor Fashola also disclosed plans by the State to build additional 100 mega watts in Lagos Island, to further boost electricity supply in the State.

While commissioning the State’s 14 megawatts Island Power Project which was financed by Fidelity Bank Plc, Fashola disclosed that its administration has completed power audit for at least 500 buildings on the central business district of Lagos Island in the axis of Broad Street and Marina and its immediate environs.

According to him, “Experts have told me that it is possible to deliver the remaining 100 mega watts in 24 months and the only thing that stands on our way is to get gas across from Ijora to Lagos Island. There is a group that has shown interest, but whatever it takes, we would ensure that we take that gas across the Lagos.”

According to the Governor, the state has received a lot of entreaties to expand the new Island Power Project, adding that the State is committed to doing so. He emphasized that the government would also extend the project to other parts of the state.

Continuing, he said, “it is not the Island alone that we are concerned, we are also concerned about the whole of Lagos, but this is where it would be easy to start from.

This new plan will fully power the Lagos High Court, the Igbosere Magistrate Court, the General Hospital, and the Lagos Island Maternity Hospital. Apart from providing electricity uninterrupted and in an efficient manner, this new plant will save Lagos state about 46 per cent of its revenue that it spends currently on diesel and generator.

“Secondly, it reduces the emission and the noise and perhaps, a very adverse on the quality of our life and our ultimate life expectancy. In the short term, it will be taking off at least 30 generators out of the system. They will no longer contribute to the noise and.

We have also commissioned the power audit for Somolu. We believe that with the printing business in Somolu, which for me is the capital of printing business in Nigeria, those entrepreneurs deserve to be supported to reduce the cost of their business,” Fashola explained.

In his remark at the commissioning ceremony, Managing Director/CEO, Fidelity Bank Plc, Mr. Reginald Ihejiahi commended Governor Fashola for his amiable and visionary leadership.

According to him, “ Governors of other states should replicate what Governor Fashola is doing in Lagos. Once good governance is in place the government should be assured that the private sector would be ready to commit resources to develop the country.
Re: Negris, Lasg Launch 10 Mw Bi-fuel Ipp In Lagos! Finally,24-hours Electricity by EkoIle1: 9:49pm On May 31, 2011
Lagos pulls out Island maternity, others from PHCN’s grid

By Adeola Yusuf , Senior Correspondent, Lagos

Lagos state government has pulled the Island Maternity, Lagos High Court, state house Marina and 20 major streets in Lagos Island out of the national grid operated by the Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN).

Governor Babatunde Fashola who announced this during the switching-on of 10-Mega Watt Independent Power Plants (IPP) declared that the government would soon pull the industrial estates in Ikeja, Matori and Shomolu as well as the state’s secretariat in Alausa out of the epileptic power grid.

The Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) delivery IPP, financed by Fidelity Bank Plc and constructed by Negris Group, will service Lagos Island on a 24-hour basis.

The governor added that there are plans to generate an additional 114 megawatts of electricity to be used by about 500 buildings and public utilities on Lagos Island.

The 10-megawatts electricity project would power Lagos House, Marina, the General Hospital, JIS Taylor High Court, Lagos Island Maternity Hospital and about 20 streets on the Island.

He said: “The initiative of this project was induced by the necessity to consolidate the Justice Sector Reform agenda of the Lagos State Government. It was originally designed as a scheme which we tagged “powering justice” proposed to supply electricity only to the Lagos State Government Court facilities in the Lagos Island axis-High Court (Igbosere and Annex at TBS) and JIC Taylor Court House at Igbosere. The project was subsequently expanded to accommodate government health facilities and street lights on 20 streets along that corridor.
[b]
“This facility, built to highest global thermal operating plant standards will now provide 24 hours constant power supply to public facilities within the Lagos Island axis. The project which includs an 18km dedicated underground distribution network will supply power to the General Hospital (Lagos Island), the High Court, High Court Annex {TBS}; JIC Taylor Court House, Igbosere; Maternity Hospital and the State House (Marina).”

The power plant will also, according o the governor, provide “electricity for the street lights on Broad Street, Tinubu Square, Bamgbose Street, Igbosere Road, Lawson Street, Moloney Street, Strachan Street, Okesuna Street, Hawley Street, Catholic Mission Street, Ganiyu Smith Street, Glover Street, Mobolaji Bank-Anthony Street, Brook Street, Joseph Street, Campos Street, Campbell Street, Ajele Street, Odunlami Street and Kakawa Street. In order to achieve this, the street lighting furniture on all of these 20 streets have been refurbished. The plant is powered by gas engines with diesel engines as backup.[/b]

“The 10 megawatts project will reduce by 46 per cent what the state spends on diesel monthly.”

He added that it would also reduce poverty as many who were into small and medium scale businesses would be able to do their jobs in addition to encouraging the night economy.

He noted that there would also be adequate security on the Island as the streets would be lit at night through the IPP-powered electricity.

The governor said that the government had completed the power audit for Shomolu area— regarded as the headquarters of printing business in
Re: Negris, Lasg Launch 10 Mw Bi-fuel Ipp In Lagos! Finally,24-hours Electricity by EkoIle1: 9:56pm On May 31, 2011
lookmangiw:

In the history of Nigeria, when was the last time any government guaranteed anybody, hospitals and other institutions uninterrupted power supply? Never.

The story here is really not the 10MW power plant itself, it's what the power plant is going to deliver to Lagosians, something that's never been done before, even by the federal government f Nigeria.

This is indeed a monumental achievement.
Re: Negris, Lasg Launch 10 Mw Bi-fuel Ipp In Lagos! Finally,24-hours Electricity by Nobody: 12:39am On Jun 01, 2011
very very good start! I am impressed to say the least. I hope he is mentoring the next governor he will hand over to. We need to be able to maintain good governance, very critical!
Re: Negris, Lasg Launch 10 Mw Bi-fuel Ipp In Lagos! Finally,24-hours Electricity by Nobody: 1:33am On Jun 01, 2011
lookmangiw:

a meagre 10 MW is not sufficient and i don't think i can count it as an achievement from my own point of thought.
But then he"s moving in the right direction.Is it a crime now in nigeria to give credit to leaders who really want to do something?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Osun State Presidential Election Result - Punch (Ife central now added) / Why Trump Should Add Nigerian muslims To Travel Ban List / P'hacourt Slay Queen Begs Atiku Abubakar To Marry Her As Fourth Wife (GRAPHICS )

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.