Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,823 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:15 AM

Has Your Mum Priced Something In Your Presence & You Start To Pity The Seller? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Has Your Mum Priced Something In Your Presence & You Start To Pity The Seller? (25162 Views)

If Your Grandma Slaps Your Mum In Your Presence What Will You Do? / What’s Your Mum’s Favorite Statement When Angry? / Pictures You Can Relate To If Your Mum Is A Typical African Mum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Has Your Mum Priced Something In Your Presence & You Start To Pity The Seller? by Offpoint1: 7:53pm On Oct 10, 2021
If there's one thing I hate is pricing something in the market and the same time I hate someone pricing whatever I'm selling.
Re: Has Your Mum Priced Something In Your Presence & You Start To Pity The Seller? by bfn1: 7:54pm On Oct 10, 2021
None is 'badder' than my late maternal grandma.
Insult no dey enter her body for pricing matter.
Once she holds up your ware with her thumb & index finger for inspection, just snatch the thing comot for her hand & tell her sey you no sell again otherwise, na baddest pricing go follow.

2 Likes

Re: Has Your Mum Priced Something In Your Presence & You Start To Pity The Seller? by Akanbee(m): 7:55pm On Oct 10, 2021
jaxxy:
Yes several times I can’t even count. It’s cos of where she’s from. They are notorious misers by nature y grin
Ijebu omo aalare
Re: Has Your Mum Priced Something In Your Presence & You Start To Pity The Seller? by Fatale: 7:55pm On Oct 10, 2021
Following My Mother To The Market Back Then was Just Grand. That Sweet Woman Can Spend The Whole Day Buying Only one Thing. Na So She Go From Shop To Shop pricing same Thing. The Bargain Only Go Make You Tire and Pity For The Seller. Las Las, We Go End The Journey With Big Orobo and Meat Pie. She Is So Good In Bargaining.

Dear Sugar Mama. I Love You!

2 Likes

Re: Has Your Mum Priced Something In Your Presence & You Start To Pity The Seller? by Ekugbeh(m): 7:58pm On Oct 10, 2021
Shellsploit:
Its going to be a thread...
Back then IN 2008, i used to follow my mum to agege ojurin market. On that particular day, she wanted to buy meat from her customer and the following ensues...

My mom: customer how much be meat
Meat seller: na N2000
My mom: picks meat and surveys it, drops meat. How much last
Meat seller: oya bring N1900
My mom: drops meat, u no gree N1500
Meat seller: oya come take am for N1700
My mom: u no gree N500 grin grin grin
Meat seller: shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked Na dis big meat u dey price 500, alaroro oshi, abeg comot for shop make i dey see road.
My mom: ah ah, u no know customer again.

Naso shame just catch me. After that day i no dey follow am go market again.

lol
Re: Has Your Mum Priced Something In Your Presence & You Start To Pity The Seller? by mu2sa2: 7:59pm On Oct 10, 2021
Nigerian mother will bargain the price and after the seller agrees, say 1k, she will say "you gree 800 money hard now ." Then she'll spend another 30 minutes trying to get the seller to accept 800. Hahahaha, a typical yoruba mother will try to drag farther by saying "ko gba 500 ni". She'll sit comfortably right there as if she's there for price haggling/siesta.

2 Likes

Re: Has Your Mum Priced Something In Your Presence & You Start To Pity The Seller? by Testimony1988(m): 8:00pm On Oct 10, 2021
Hahahaha, my mum don't even price like that.
Re: Has Your Mum Priced Something In Your Presence & You Start To Pity The Seller? by dipsy588(m): 8:00pm On Oct 10, 2021
Y'all remember they are LEGENDS. If not the money they took to the market to buy food stuff either for the whole month or whole week would not be enough to get anything more than a day or two.... and also the same ladies claiming they cant price now when they grow up they would be extra terrestrial pricing legends.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Has Your Mum Priced Something In Your Presence & You Start To Pity The Seller? by chatinent: 8:02pm On Oct 10, 2021
debbydams:
I dont get

He is leading you 1-0.
Re: Has Your Mum Priced Something In Your Presence & You Start To Pity The Seller? by KingMack(m): 8:03pm On Oct 10, 2021
IF YOU WERE BORN IN THE NORTH AND GREE UPP THERE YOU WOULD KNOW THAT THIS ARE THE NICEST PEOPLE TO BUY THINGS FROM IN THE WHOLE NIGERIA..THEY CAN SELL AN AEROPLANE AND JUS GAIN ₦10....BACK TO THE SUBJECT..NA MY PAPA SABI PRICE THAT YEAR SOTEY TEARS GO WAN FALL FOR MY EYES AS THE SELLER WAN SELL grin

3 Likes

Re: Has Your Mum Priced Something In Your Presence & You Start To Pity The Seller? by FahBuLous: 8:15pm On Oct 10, 2021
My mother is a pro in this o...
I remember once I followed her to itam market in Uyo to buy some food stuffs, she wanted to buy yam from one aboki there, she asks how much the price was and the aboki said 500naira, immediately my mother shouted ehhh, 500naira for this small yam??
My brothers and sister, if u see this yam eh, you would buy it for 5k, very big yam, the aboki said 450 last, my mother had the mind to price 200naira, mehn I wish I had money on me then, I would added and bought it, na so aboki begin battle price with my mumcy o...
Last last, mumcy bought it for 250 grin grin grin ... How she did it, I don't know till today...
That was years back though...

6 Likes

Re: Has Your Mum Priced Something In Your Presence & You Start To Pity The Seller? by bukatyne(f): 8:15pm On Oct 10, 2021
Beebah2000:
E good make them dey price, because some sellers sabi cheat person.

Nigerian sellers don suffer for Nigerian mothers hand.

Interestingly, you would pay twice for the same goods in a supermarket.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Has Your Mum Priced Something In Your Presence & You Start To Pity The Seller? by bukatyne(f): 8:26pm On Oct 10, 2021
A lot of things bargained like coins are perishable goods.

I remember when I saw a fish selling crying after sales that she sold at a loss.

My mum used to price like that and I inherited my negotiating skills.

I however try to be very fair and leave little change (N100, N200) for people (especially women cool ) I buy perishables and other little stuffs from. My 'comma' is that I will walk round the market to find the freshest version of whatever I am buying. So I buy ugwu at Kano, Pepper at Kaduna, crayfish at Oyo, Rice at Lokoja, periwinkle at Lagos etc.

If you follow me to market, you go waka tire. It is also an opportunity for me to see the new fragrance of Morning Fresh, the newest packaging for Blue Band, the revamped version of Dangote Salt etc.

Besides, people willingly buy same goods at a higher price from supermarkets.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Has Your Mum Priced Something In Your Presence & You Start To Pity The Seller? by streetsoldier1(m): 8:29pm On Oct 10, 2021
PlayMaker14:
Mine happened years ago during the yultide season, she called me to the kitchen to bring my feet for her to measure with a broom stick. After the measurements, she went to Igbudú market, I was super excited knowing that a brand new shoe will follow her back home.

She came back from the market with only my sister's shoes, seeing how my faced changed to a Gambler who lost a ticket of N4mil because of one game, she said she will take me to the market the next day.

We got to Igbudú market very early and went straight to the shoe stand, my mom immediately point to one black shoes that looks like canoe and started exhibiting her bargain prowess. This went on for 30mins as both of them tried to persuade each other.

I heard when the seller was telling my mom that the last price is N2000 from an initial selling price of N3,500, and in her words; "Madam, your pikin go use this shoe taya"

My mom priced the shoe to N1200 and was even making it look like she's doing the seller a huge favor by adding the N200 on top.

The seller, with a swelled up face, reluctantly agreed and gave the canoe looking shoe to my mom.

I felt pity for the seller though, it was as if my mom targeted her that day.

We went home and all my homies started calling me "Mr. Canoe" because of the funny looking shoe which I wore for Christmas and New year pararding the streets of Warri visiting homes of Uncle's and Aunty's so they can "Do Christmas" for me.

Mr Canoe, your story is hillarious, hope the shoe lasted for a long time

1 Like

Re: Has Your Mum Priced Something In Your Presence & You Start To Pity The Seller? by gbemishile: 8:32pm On Oct 10, 2021
I remember back in the early 2000's when mushin was hot as a result of robbers.back then,Dem no wan hear anything like 'thief' for mushin area.once Dem catch u as thief,na to put tyre for ur neck,pour you petrol then burn u alive.
I got so afraid I went to meet my mum one day that she should stop pricing things in the market.i was so afraid that she might over price something and the seller would shout thief on her head.she just look me,hiss then ask me if I dey ok.

1 Like

Re: Has Your Mum Priced Something In Your Presence & You Start To Pity The Seller? by Nauttyprof(m): 8:32pm On Oct 10, 2021
I don't go to the market with her anymore but back then say 20 years ago, I pity those sellers a lot.

My mother priced meat and I felt sorry for the seller. I think sellers have this policy of selling to their first customer for the day or selling all they have left when the market is about to close for the day. This very day my mother priced meat from N1,000 to N500 being the first customer. At one point the meat seller wasn't comfortable and my mother left. Only for the seller to call her back, the next thing was for my Mum to price it further to N300. To me, the meat was too much for the amount. At the end, she got the meat for N400 after spending close to 30 mins on back and forth.

I think mothers have this belief that if you are being called back, it means there is still much gain on it.

2 Likes

Re: Has Your Mum Priced Something In Your Presence & You Start To Pity The Seller? by Olatara(f): 8:33pm On Oct 10, 2021
TotoGame:
Forget about the bargaining stuff

Once followed my grandmother to market....I ended up greeting almost half of the people in the market that day .

Very stressful
My grandma (iye jebu) will greet the whole community.
Re: Has Your Mum Priced Something In Your Presence & You Start To Pity The Seller? by lichocho(m): 8:36pm On Oct 10, 2021
obembet:
Has your mum ever priced something in your presence and you start to pity the seller?

See some hilarious comments here and share your experience

h
Re: Has Your Mum Priced Something In Your Presence & You Start To Pity The Seller? by incredible2017: 8:39pm On Oct 10, 2021
My mama wey sabi buy trouble, naso I follow am go market one day she come dey tell me say that plastic chair na next week she go buy make she go price am, naso we reach the shop meet the seller and ask her how much she dey sell the chair, the lady talk say #4500, naso my male yarn the woman sey na #1,200 she go pay,the seller just confuse.Me just dey shame my mama shame they do like say no be and am come price the chair. Last last she tell my mama say na #3500 last, naso she talk #2500 (my male). after everything the lady tell my mama make she bring money, naso she do u turn tell the lady say make she go atm.

2 Likes

Re: Has Your Mum Priced Something In Your Presence & You Start To Pity The Seller? by babtoundey(m): 8:43pm On Oct 10, 2021
My mum has PhD in haggling. She is never in hurry while on such special duty. she can price 100 Naira commodity for 1 Naira and still expect price reduction. The mistake I would make is following her to the market or anywhere she has to buy something. Anytime I'm hooked up where she has to buy something, na style I dey take comot, make the seller no know say we gather come. it is after they finally agreed I went there to help in packing.

1 Like

Re: Has Your Mum Priced Something In Your Presence & You Start To Pity The Seller? by Munzy14(m): 8:44pm On Oct 10, 2021
googlepikins:
Don't attend events where your mom is one of the people that cooked the food
grin grin oya bring the nylon...

1 Like

Re: Has Your Mum Priced Something In Your Presence & You Start To Pity The Seller? by TotoGame(m): 8:49pm On Oct 10, 2021
Olatara:
My grandma (iye jebu) will greet the whole community.

Haa!!! Your grandma dey worst sef
Re: Has Your Mum Priced Something In Your Presence & You Start To Pity The Seller? by flakkybakky(f): 9:04pm On Oct 10, 2021
I cannot tell it all
Re: Has Your Mum Priced Something In Your Presence & You Start To Pity The Seller? by tianshie(m): 9:05pm On Oct 10, 2021
jaxxy:
Yes several times I can’t even count. It’s cos of where she’s from. They are notorious misers by nature grin

I-J to the E-B-U.
Re: Has Your Mum Priced Something In Your Presence & You Start To Pity The Seller? by angelfallz(m): 9:06pm On Oct 10, 2021
The bolded,
How would you do all that walking around and still have energy to cook when you get home? Me I'm in and out, and I don't cook on the day I go to the market.

bukatyne:
A lot of things bargained like coins are perishable goods.

I remember when I saw a fish selling crying after sales that she sold at a loss.

My mum used to price like that and I inherited my negotiating skills.

I however try to be very fair and leave little change (N100, N200) for people (especially women cool ) I buy perishables and other little stuffs from. My 'comma' is that I will walk round the market to find the freshest version of whatever I am buying. So I buy ugwu at Kano, Pepper at Kaduna, crayfish at Oyo, Rice at Lokoja, periwinkle at Lagos etc.

If you follow me to market, you go waka tire. It is also an opportunity for me to see the new fragrance of Morning Fresh, the newest packaging for Blue Band, the revamped version of Dangote Salt etc.

Besides, people willingly buy same goods at a higher price from supermarkets.

1 Like

Re: Has Your Mum Priced Something In Your Presence & You Start To Pity The Seller? by Sterope(f): 9:09pm On Oct 10, 2021
Nope. The only time I pitied the seller was when I knew she was wasting everyone's time. I am yet to meet anyone as bad as her. She spends more than 6hrs in the market at least once a month.

3 Likes

Re: Has Your Mum Priced Something In Your Presence & You Start To Pity The Seller? by InvertedHammer: 9:10pm On Oct 10, 2021
/
The good news is that the seller will never sell at a loss.

So the thrifty mother is just being smart.

/

2 Likes

Re: Has Your Mum Priced Something In Your Presence & You Start To Pity The Seller? by CALCULUS16: 9:16pm On Oct 10, 2021
The following are the reasons why some mothers haggle prices of goods. 1. grade 1 poverty- some men would just go home and give their wives #700 to cook their favourite meal, lets say pounded yam with efo riro with assorted meat and other jara, how would they solve this puzzle of using #700 to make a meal of 5k, na so the thing started, the sellers too know that most men na so dem dey do- they too use sense to increase the price. 2. grade 2 poverty- this occur when the man na full house husband, na the woman dey hustle, na she dey feed the whole family with meagre money she earns, some men are nt responsible. If u r rich and u want other people to become rich through u, if u mentally weigh a good and the price is a little bit higher above the price u have in mind, pay! it wont reduce ur riches. I pray we wont learn the skill of haggling price, but no matter the prices of goods, our ocean of wealth will never get dried. AMEN price bargaining contribute 90percent of the noise pollution in the market cheesy
Re: Has Your Mum Priced Something In Your Presence & You Start To Pity The Seller? by aluyapreston: 9:27pm On Oct 10, 2021
Iyaebe:
I rembered the first day I do over sabi go market wey dem on send me,the woman call price,I divided the price into four and expect bargain to begin, na so she look me with one correct eyes wey be say she no need talk,I quickly took to my heels and she was telling her neighbor say see this overripe pawpaw wan try her this morning,since that day I detest anything market.

Yellow pawpaw. so you are fair huh? with your sharp mouth cheesy you use in looking for trouble everywhere in NL
Re: Has Your Mum Priced Something In Your Presence & You Start To Pity The Seller? by Mpanyi: 9:32pm On Oct 10, 2021
PlayMaker14:
Mine happened years ago during the yultide season, she called me to the kitchen to bring my feet for her to measure with a broom stick. After the measurements, she went to Igbudú market, I was super excited knowing that a brand new shoe will follow her back home.

She came back from the market with only my sister's shoes, seeing how my faced changed to a Gambler who lost a ticket of N4mil because of one game, she said she will take me to the market the next day.

We got to Igbudú market very early and went straight to the shoe stand, my mom immediately point to one black shoes that looks like canoe and started exhibiting her bargain prowess. This went on for 30mins as both of them tried to persuade each other.

I heard when the seller was telling my mom that the last price is N2000 from an initial selling price of N3,500, and in her words; "Madam, your pikin go use this shoe taya"

My mom priced the shoe to N1200 and was even making it look like she's doing the seller a huge favor by adding the N200 on top.

The seller, with a swelled up face, reluctantly agreed and gave the canoe looking shoe to my mom.

I felt pity for the seller though, it was as if my mom targeted her that day.

We went home and all my homies started calling me "Mr. Canoe" because of the funny looking shoe which I wore for Christmas and New year pararding the streets of Warri visiting homes of Uncle's and Aunty's so they can "Do Christmas" for me.

This is damn funny

1 Like

Re: Has Your Mum Priced Something In Your Presence & You Start To Pity The Seller? by Nobody: 9:36pm On Oct 10, 2021
I don't price aged people, pregnant women and little children. Anything outside this category, na another level.
Even my wife dey shame to follow me go market buy shoe.
I carry her enter Ariaria to teach her skills, the man call shoe 25k, I price the man 3k she shift. Las las we buy the shoe 5k. Now, she can handle herself. She no dey price 10k shoe 9500, na like 2500 she go start.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How To Make Vegetable Soup With Bitter Leaves And Water Leaves. / Do You Think Married Women Should Tender Their Salaries To Their Husbands? / 14 Years After, I Saw The Man That Molested Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.