Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,961 members, 7,835,204 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:01 AM

What Did God Says About Betting/gambling - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Did God Says About Betting/gambling (360 Views)

Mbaka To Buhari Government: Apologise God Says You Are Wicked Maggots, Hooligans / Why God Says I Must Become President Of Nigeria - Young Man of God / Jehovah’s Witnesses Believe About Gay & What The Bible Says About Homosexuality (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Did God Says About Betting/gambling by Macheque: 10:07pm On Oct 10, 2021
I need views and every reasonable perspective about this matter

I have a friend who has make sport Betting as an investment, actually he was really making profit. And I also has seen that this investment has changed his financial status

Now my question is that: WHAT IS GOD SAYS ABOUT BETTING/GAMBLING?
Re: What Did God Says About Betting/gambling by Kobojunkie: 10:12pm On Oct 10, 2021
Macheque:

I have a friend who has make sport Betting as an investment, actually he was really making profit. And I also has seen that this investment has changed his financial status

Gambling is not a sin. undecided

Rather than ask others what Sin is and what is not, why not invest some of your time into learning these things for your own self? You only have to read the 4 Gospels to learn the facts about what is defined in tge New Covenant Law of the Kingdom of God, Jesus Christ. undecided

1 Like

Re: What Did God Says About Betting/gambling by MaxInDHouse(m): 10:27pm On Oct 10, 2021
God's word is filled with Wisdom, only faithful people takes it to heart.
For instance when God says fornication (premarital/casual sex) is evil {Galatians 5:19} does it mean people who engage in it will die instantly? NO!
Does it mean fornicators and adulterers won't become successful materially speaking?
Does it mean all fornicators will contact illnesses? NO!
So what's the point?
Whatever God condemns may not have instant negative effect on the sinner, in fact the first sinner may live and die normally but the bad effect will continue to hunt all those following his path and it will surely affect others after him:

Jehovah was passing before him and declaring: “Jehovah, Jehovah, a God merciful and compassionate, slow to anger and abundant in loyal love and truth, showing loyal love to thousands, pardoning error and transgression and sin, but he will by no means leave the guilty unpunished, bringing punishment for the error of fathers upon sons and upon grandsons, upon the third generation and upon the fourth generation.” Exodus 34:6-7

So gambling promotes GREED in the society so it will forever continue to hunt all those related to the gambler, and the end result will be a bad society where everyone will be lazy! smiley

Macheque:

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Did God Says About Betting/gambling by verybadmouth(m): 3:45am On Oct 11, 2021
MaxInDHouse:
For instance when God says fornication (premarital/casual sex) is evil {Galatians 5:19} does it mean people who engage in it will die instantly? NO!
Does it mean fornicators and adulterers won't become successful materially speaking?
So what's the point?
Whatever God condemns may not have instant negative effect on the sinner, in fact the first sinner may live and die normally but the bad effect will continue to hunt all those following his path and it will surely affect others after him:

Jehovah was passing before him and declaring: “Jehovah, Jehovah, a God merciful and compassionate, slow to anger and abundant in loyal love and truth, showing loyal love to thousands, pardoning error and transgression and sin, but he will by no means leave the guilty unpunished, bringing punishment for the error of fathers upon sons and upon grandsons, upon the third generation and upon the fourth generation.” Exodus 34:6-7

So gambling promotes GREED in the society so it will forever continue to hunt all those related to the gambler, and the end result will be a bad society where everyone will be lazy! smiley

Bro you too talk. You try though.
I dey come, make I check my ticket. E remain two games.
Re: What Did God Says About Betting/gambling by MaxInDHouse(m): 8:05am On Oct 11, 2021
verybadmouth:

Bro you too talk. You try though.
I dey come, make I check my ticket. E remain two games.
When you sow surely you will expect to reap so go ahead my friend it's a free world! smiley
Re: What Did God Says About Betting/gambling by adoyi8: 8:08am On Oct 11, 2021
Macheque:

If you read book of jobs then you will understand that God is the father of gambling.
Re: What Did God Says About Betting/gambling by suffering: 9:24am On Oct 11, 2021
God said “…” Do with the message what you will.
Re: What Did God Says About Betting/gambling by Macheque: 8:33pm On Oct 11, 2021
adoyi8:

If you read book of jobs then you will understand that God is the father of gambling.
How?
Where in book of job?
Re: What Did God Says About Betting/gambling by haddeylium(m): 10:36pm On Oct 11, 2021
Macheque:

What does God says or what does the Bible says?
Where other Gods might approve of Gambling, the Bible condemns such act.

My view is based on Bible principles. Gambling is a sign of greed, wanting a large return from little stake. The basic nature of gambling is to get something at the expense of others…a form of greed

Greed is something that is discouraged and goes against Gods standards.

(Luke 12:15) Then he said to them: “Keep your eyes open and guard against every sort of greed, because even when a person has an abundance, his life does not result from the things he possesses

Apostle Paul even listed it to be among the act that should make someone to be disfellowship among God's people(1 (Corinthians 5:9-13)

The Bible urges industriousness

Proverbs 13:4 “The lazy person has his cravings, yet he has nothing, But the diligent one will be fully satisfied.”
Romans 12:11 “Be industrious, not lazy. . .”

When it is within our power to work we should do all we can to work and lusting after greediness

Thank you
Re: What Did God Says About Betting/gambling by Acehart: 7:30am On Oct 12, 2021
Paul Merson won two league titles, the FA Cup, League Cup and European Cup Winners' Cup with Arsenal. He played for England at the World Cup and European Championship.

He has also lost more than £7m to gambling in a life dogged by addiction.

In a new film Paul Merson: Football, Gambling & Menow available on BBC iPlayer, the 53-year-old sets out on a journey to try to understand where his compulsion comes from, explores why footballers may be more prone to risk than others, and what may need to be done by companies and the government.

During a 21-year career in professional football, Merson moved for transfer fees that topped £12m. When he played for Middlesbrough in the late 1990s, he earned about £20,000 a week.

He now lives in rented accommodation with his third wife Kate and their three young children. Merson explains in the film that he has handed over control of his finances to Kate.

He spoke to us about his regrets.

"Looking back now, it's not the money lost that you regret," he says. "I've been a millionaire and wanted to kill myself.

"It's the time you've lost. I've got eight kids that I love very dearly."

Merson explains in the film how he is still in the grip of addiction.

"I've been addicted to alcohol and cocaine, but by far the most destructive and the only one I'm still struggling with today is gambling," he says.

"If I want to get drunk or high, I have to put something up my nose or down me. Gambling's already in you, just waiting constantly, talking to you."

Merson relapsed during the lockdown, losing the deposit for a house he and Kate were hoping to move into with their three children.

"I'd be sitting on the sofa and I'd look over at the kids," he says. "The hate I had for myself, thinking about how I'd let them down.

"The scary thing is you know there's only one outcome, but you can't stop."

During the film, Merson catches up with his friend Wes Reid, who played alongside him in his early days at Arsenal.

Reid shows him images from club accommodation, where the young men were gambling when playing cards, and recalls Merson would not be able to stop once he had started betting.

Through tears, Merson realises how long he's been stuck in addiction.

"All through my life, I've never had that off switch," he says.

"There's no greater buzz in the whole wide world than scoring a goal. But when I came off the pitch, the difference between me and other people was I needed that buzz to continue."
Re: What Did God Says About Betting/gambling by Nobody: 7:48am On Oct 12, 2021
MaxInDHouse:
So what's the point?

Television promotes immorality in the society. Therefore, watching TV is a sin. Your logic right there.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Did God Says About Betting/gambling by Nobody: 7:54am On Oct 12, 2021
haddeylium:

What does God says or what does the Bible says?
Where other Gods might approve of Gambling, the Bible condemns such act.

My view is based on Bible principles. Gambling is a sign of greed, wanting a large return from little stake. The basic nature of gambling is to get something at the expense of others…a form of greed

Greed is something that is discouraged and goes against Gods standards.

(Luke 12:15) Then he said to them: “Keep your eyes open and guard against every sort of greed, because even when a person has an abundance, his life does not result from the things he possesses

Apostle Paul even listed it to be among the act that should make someone to be disfellowship among God's people(1 (Corinthians 5:9-13)

The Bible urges industriousness

Proverbs 13:4 “The lazy person has his cravings, yet he has nothing, But the diligent one will be fully satisfied.”
Romans 12:11 “Be industrious, not lazy. . .”

When it is within our power to work we should do all we can to work and lusting after greediness

Thank you

You guys are very funny. Big investment is a sign of greed too. So, big investment is a sin, right? The Bible DIRECTLY condemned lending of money with interest, but you guys will not condemn "Christian" bankers, as that doesn't fit you holier-than-thou Pharisee narrative.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Did God Says About Betting/gambling by enchy: 11:50am On Oct 12, 2021
Re: What Did God Says About Betting/gambling by MaxInDHouse(m): 3:09pm On Oct 12, 2021
HedwigesMaduro:

Television promotes immorality in the society. Therefore, watching TV is a sin. Your logic right there.
Television is a means of communication but entertainers are turning it into something else.
So true Christians occupy their time with spiritual food from trusted source! Matthew 12:43-45
Gambling is of no BENEFITS to faithful people! smiley
Re: What Did God Says About Betting/gambling by Kobojunkie: 3:30pm On Oct 12, 2021
enchy:
Gambling is the worst punishment God can allow to happen to any man... remember the talent story in the Bible, imagine that idiot did not even return the talent back and went to give it to thiefs (gambling operators) , I no fit reason the punishment The Oga go give am
First of all, I believe you read your Bible upside-down to begin with. undecided

Second, in the Parable of the 10 talents, which you can read in Matthew 25 vs 14 - 30 , the wicked servant was asked why he refused to invest(gamble with) the talent(currency he had) in a bank, rather than bury it in the ground were he did. undecided
Re: What Did God Says About Betting/gambling by adoyi8: 7:02pm On Oct 12, 2021
Macheque:

How?
Where in book of job?
God and Satan argued about Job then they placed a bet to see if satan can make Job turn his back on God. God also permitted Satan to kill Jobs ten children.

(1) (Reply)

Tribulation Before Rapture / You Are A Fool If You Don't Tell Your Wife About All Your Money - Prophetess Obi / Why Has Most Churches Stop Preaching Against Fornication And Adultery?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.