Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,627 members, 7,813,063 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:07 AM

Gej's Bad Start:anyim Still One Of The Worst Of The Se Politicians! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gej's Bad Start:anyim Still One Of The Worst Of The Se Politicians! (994 Views)

Anyim Pius Anyim Seeks Buhari's Protection: 'They Are After Me' / Anyim Pius Under Investigation For Funding Pro-Biafra Activities - Sahara Report / Silva, Anyim Head Buhari's Inauguration Committee (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gej's Bad Start:anyim Still One Of The Worst Of The Se Politicians! by TNUBU4LIFE: 11:58pm On Jun 02, 2011
Anyim’s appointment not a good sign

By Musikilu Mojeed

June 1, 2011 11:18PM

printemail

The appointment of Pius Anyim as Secretary to the Government of the Federation is a clear reflection of how low we have sunk as a country.

Goodluck Jonathan just didn’t get it. Granted that the position was conceded to the southeast, which boasts thousands of accomplished, respected, and morally upright men and women, but Mr Anyim’s choice as SGF is repulsive just as it is repugnant. In fact, progressive and well-meaning Igbo men and women at home and in the diaspora need to protest loudly to President Jonathan for choosing one of their worst to occupy a strategic slot reserved for their geopolitical zone. Indeed, all Nigerians should consider this appointment as a lavish celebration of corruption and ineptitude, and learn not to expect much from a president who promises much but delivers very little.

After making the appointment, the president claimed he gave Mr Anyim the job based on his performance as Senate President. Except the President knows something the rest of us do not know about Mr Anyim, such a comment portrays Jonathan as having a poor sense of history and judgment. Mr Anyim was our country’s Senate President between 2000 and 2003. During his tenure, he did not display any outstanding leadership qualities. Instead, he emerged from the office reeking of filth and corruption.

How come the president ignored the weighty allegations of monumental corruption hanging around Mr Anyim’s neck? Arthur Nzeribe, who was at the time Anyim’s colleague in the Senate, had on November 15, 2002, petitioned the Independent Corrupt Practices and other Related Offences Commission, asking it to investigate the source of Anyim’s stupendous wealth, especially his magnificent mansion, then under construction on Agenebode Street, Asokoro, Abuja.

Senator Nzeribe had claimed that the mansion was worth N800 million while another property, “a gigantic office complex in the Wuse District of Abuja” acquired by Mr Anyim six months into his tenure as Senate President, was worth over N600 million. Nzeribe also alleged that Mr Anyim acquired a commercial real estate in Houston, Texas and other choice properties in Gwarimpa, Maitama, Asokoro – all in Abuja, as well as in Owerri and Abakaliki in southeast Nigeria.

The petitioner, who claimed that the properties were worth N10 billion, also alleged that Anyim was keeping 38 official cars to himself instead of 12. Mr Nzeribe added in his petition that the former senate president had become so rich that he buried his mother for N50 million after keeping her remains in the morgue for one year.

True, Mr Nzeribe brought up the allegations because he had a political disagreement with Mr Anyim at the time. But many Nigerians believed the allegations because it turned out that Mr Anyim indeed acquired some of those properties, especially the ones in Wuse, Asokoro and Abakaliki, shortly after he assumed office as Nigeria’s number three citizen. Before Anyim went to the Senate in 1999, he was a struggling public servant (Head of the protection department of the National Commission for Refugees) and it was curious that he had grown so rich within a short time.

If there was any doubt regarding the credibility of the allegations, it evaporated after Mr Anyim blocked the ICPC from investigating him over the allegations. Rather than appear before the ICPC to clear himself, Mr Anyim rallied his colleagues in the National Assembly to humiliate the then chairman of the ICPC, Mustapha Akanbi, and repeal the law setting up the commission, as a way of weakening the organisation. Mr Anyim and his colleagues even ignored an order of the Federal High Court in Abuja ordering it not to repeal the law. Olusegun Obasanjo, Nigeria’s president at the time, failed to sign the bill into law and Mr Anyim’s Senate committed another illegality – it overrode the President’s veto even without the requisite quorum. The episode heated up the polity and the ICPC was not able to investigate Anyim during the period. It was in the midst of that confusion that the former senator’s tenure expired in 2003 and he has been walking free ever since.

It is now curious that of all the great men and women from the southeast, it was a tainted Mr Anyim that Mr Jonathan decided to dust up for the SGF office. The world must be having a hearty laugh at us for appointing a man who became rich overnight after getting political power, to one of the most powerful positions in the land.

One lesson I have learnt from this appointment is not to expect any radical reform in the way our country is run, from this President. After all, has it not been said that once you expect nothing, you will never be disappointed?

Back
Re: Gej's Bad Start:anyim Still One Of The Worst Of The Se Politicians! by stormm: 8:31am On Jun 03, 2011
Pls tell them. Hie tenure as Senate President was unimpressive and unisnpiring. He carries a fat baggage of corruption along with his bulky frame.

Fresh Air !!! grin grin grin grin
Re: Gej's Bad Start:anyim Still One Of The Worst Of The Se Politicians! by Ibime(m): 9:41am On Jun 03, 2011
Let's wait for the full ministerial list first before pronouncing judgement.
Re: Gej's Bad Start:anyim Still One Of The Worst Of The Se Politicians! by naso2(m): 9:51am On Jun 03, 2011
I think the post of SGF should have gone to a career civil servant from SE as against Anyims choice. Anyway , if he doesnt perform he will be by-passed and replaced. No shaking.
Re: Gej's Bad Start:anyim Still One Of The Worst Of The Se Politicians! by dannyboy10: 9:58am On Jun 03, 2011
@ OP u some of u nairalanders are just bunch of disgrace, u have just posted all the ill deeds of Mr Anyim and have given reasons why he shld not be senate president. Pls tell us who in the southeast, deserves the position, always bring problems to the forum, never contributing solitions. If u personally don't like Anyim, say it don't come here and be posting rubbish, and u expect to hear comments from others. Youths on the internet shld be able to be a point of liberalization for dis country, but we come here and post a problem without solution so that du.mb pple like you will consume the whole bandwith arguing on nothing that will move the nation forword. Mr Poster if u can't post educative and progresive comments pls delete your post, or find something beta to do.
Re: Gej's Bad Start:anyim Still One Of The Worst Of The Se Politicians! by biachwest: 11:18am On Jun 03, 2011
How comes you the only one out of the whole millions of high level SE personalities to downgrade this apointment.Why is this alegations against the ex senate president have not been made public?.why now?.nzeribe is the most corupt and selfish nigerian in history.if zeribe gives u one naira,he takes back 20 naira from u.
Nzeribe as among the aangels of obasanjo in pursue for then 3 terms ,while anyium was among the then obsacle to 3 term.
I rest my case,Any wise man will understand hat i meant by all this.
Fresh air for this country and we must surport this administration to anable them concetrate and implement good policies that will revise the standard of living for ordinary nigerians.
And stopp acting like buhari
Re: Gej's Bad Start:anyim Still One Of The Worst Of The Se Politicians! by Mynd44: 6:28pm On Jun 03, 2011
Clueless GEJ had no idea who to choose or OBJ was the man with the plan FRESH AIR INDEED

1 Like

Re: Gej's Bad Start:anyim Still One Of The Worst Of The Se Politicians! by Nobody: 6:43pm On Jun 03, 2011
@poster.

As much as I am not defending Anyim, but did you say the petisioner was Arthur Nzeribe?
Oh my God, I might have tried to reason with you, but mentioning Arthur as your lead in this case makes me to question integrity.

Listen to me, I abhor OBj with all my heart, but between OBJ and Arthur, I will risk OBJ.
Re: Gej's Bad Start:anyim Still One Of The Worst Of The Se Politicians! by emekagh(m): 7:16pm On Jun 03, 2011
I don't know why some people take it upon themselves to swallow painkillers for another man's perceived headache.
Why should the writer ask Igbo to protest when they are generally pleased.

If the writer feel strongly aggrieved, he should air his grievance without dragging the Igbos into it (same applies to other posters). Jonathan has made his choice, and should be accountable for his choice. SGF is not a elected position.

Personally, I believe the choice of Pius Ayim is good for Nigeria. I don't share the writer's sentiment!
Re: Gej's Bad Start:anyim Still One Of The Worst Of The Se Politicians! by revomind(m): 9:41pm On Jun 03, 2011
^^^
Nothing to indicate the writer isn't Igbo. In fact, he claimed Igbo. However, saying a politician isn't ripe for a job because of corruption is naive IMHO. Maybe GEJ should have gone for a non-politician but as far as this appointment goes, its nothing to whine about. Enrichment at the public's expense is a way of life for the average politician. And anyway, his constituency seem to be satisfied with his appointment,end of story. Una never jam, the saga continues.

NEXT!
Re: Gej's Bad Start:anyim Still One Of The Worst Of The Se Politicians! by emekagh(m): 11:47pm On Jun 03, 2011
^^^^
Didn't see where the writer claimed Igbo. Again like you said, Ayims 'constituency seem to be satisfied with his appointment,end of story."
Re: Gej's Bad Start:anyim Still One Of The Worst Of The Se Politicians! by redsun(m): 12:05am On Jun 04, 2011
Why should anybody be surprise that gej appointed a known thief as the SFG in a kleptocratic system of government in nigeria?Nigerian government is a government of manic thieves and looters.
Re: Gej's Bad Start:anyim Still One Of The Worst Of The Se Politicians! by TNUBU4LIFE: 1:15am On Jun 04, 2011
@ dannyboy,u just made an infantile issue out of a very serious issue,pls this kind of issue is not for 'boys',it is for men,if you read wikileaks and how leaders are profiled,then gej is 'business as usual'.in international politics,perception is REAL!.Go check out the first appointment made by obama after inauguration,then compare the person to anyim,then u know gej just gave a wrong perception of nigeria as a country less serious to do away with the sordid past!In the SE,there is a high ranking bureaucrat in the person of mrs okereke,the former head of service just like the former SGF from akwa-ibom under obj's govt(now i am trying to remember the man's name)I knw he was the secretary of okigbo's panel that investigated the 12 billion dollars gulf windfall.This man gave the SGF office the deserved respect it deserves,and wen he went into retirement,it was without blemish or political baggage anyim is bringing to the office of SGF!
I also know this man in charge of BPP,from the SE or even the current ICAN President would do better than an anyim.This mediocrity must stop
Re: Gej's Bad Start:anyim Still One Of The Worst Of The Se Politicians! by EkoIle1: 2:25am On Jun 04, 2011
dannyboy10:

@ OP u some of u nairalanders are just bunch of disgrace, u have just posted all the ill deeds of Mr Anyim and have given reasons why he shld not be senate president. Pls tell us who in the southeast, deserves the position, always bring problems to the forum, never contributing solitions. If u personally don't like Anyim, say it don't come here and be posting rubbish, and u expect to hear comments from others. Youths on the internet shld be able to be a point of liberalization for dis country, but we come here and post a problem without solution so that du.mb pple like you will consume the whole bandwith arguing on nothing that will move the nation forword. Mr Poster if u can't post educative and progresive comments pls delete your post, or find something beta to do.

It's already been established in the article that this man is not the best character for the job, it's now up to you to prove that this man is the most credible, the most competent and the most worthy SE public servant?

Make your point and let others make theirs, you are the only dumb character here, you are accusing and pointing fingers at other people while doing the same damn thing.

All you extra sensitive clowns really need to stay off the internet for real,
Re: Gej's Bad Start:anyim Still One Of The Worst Of The Se Politicians! by emekagh(m): 8:25am On Jun 04, 2011
Eko Ile:

It's already been established in the article that this man is not the best character for the job, it's now up to you to prove that this man is the most credible, the most competent and the most worthy SE public servant?

Make your point and let others make theirs, you are the only dumb character here, you are accusing and pointing fingers at other people while doing the same damn thing.

All you extra sensitive clowns really need to stay off the internet for real,

An simplistic article written by some sadistic eddiot, who cite Arthur Nzeribe of ABN ignominy, has suddenly become the standard for measuring the competence or otherwise of Pius Ayim? Wonderful! Do some people reason with their ar/se or what?

I think, we should focus our attention on the two losers that the PDP has nominated for the Speakership on NA. SGF position is done and dusted, and we Nigerians are generally pleased with it. But of course losers will still have a few irrelevant opinions to give after the deed.
Re: Gej's Bad Start:anyim Still One Of The Worst Of The Se Politicians! by TNUBU4LIFE: 10:33pm On Jun 04, 2011
anyim the best igboman for the sgf job! undecided
Re: Gej's Bad Start:anyim Still One Of The Worst Of The Se Politicians! by EkoIle1: 12:16am On Jun 05, 2011
emeka_gh:

An simplistic article written by some sadistic eddiot, who cite Arthur Nzeribe of ABN ignominy, has suddenly become the standard for measuring the competence or otherwise of Pius Ayim? Wonderful! Do some people reason with their ar/se or what?

I think, we should focus our attention on the two losers that the PDP has nominated for the Speakership on NA. SGF position is done and dusted, and we Nigerians are generally pleased with it. But of course losers will still have a few irrelevant opinions to give after the deed.

Regardless of Ezeribe's accusations, I need you to explain his sudden wealth and what he accomplished when he was the the senate leader.

That's the problem with ibo people, it's always tribe first, you keep and defend all your bad eggs. And you aownder why you people are at the bottom of things.

But hey, thanks for letting us know the incompetent and corrupt clown is the best ibo people have to offer.

lol @ losers. Have you looked in the mirror lately.
Re: Gej's Bad Start:anyim Still One Of The Worst Of The Se Politicians! by emekagh(m): 6:57am On Jun 05, 2011
Eko Ile:

Regardless of Ezeribe's accusations, I need you to explain his sudden wealth and what he accomplished when he was the the senate leader.

That's the problem with ibo people, it's always tribe first, you keep and defend all your bad eggs. And you aownder why you people are at the bottom of things.

But hey, thanks for letting us know the incompetent and corrupt clown is the best ibo people have to offer.

lol @ losers. Have you looked in the mirror lately.

Madam, if you have noticed, I generally ignore you like a plague, because of some of your obvious inadequacy. Go and play with your mates!

(1) (Reply)

What Is Wrong With Nigeria [video] / An Overview Of The Nigerian Economic Growth And Development / Eunice Orji Kalu Down With Hiv/aids (the Mother Of Former Governor Of Abia State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.