Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,432 members, 7,823,010 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 09:18 PM

Nigerian Boxing Champ Fights For Life After Gun Attack In London - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Boxing Champ Fights For Life After Gun Attack In London (2281 Views)

APC Leaders Under Gun Attack In Rivers-the Nation / Bokoharam In Trouble As God Fights For Nigerians With Mysterious Bees And Snakes / Ojukwu's Brother And Son Fights For His Ikoyi Property (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Boxing Champ Fights For Life After Gun Attack In London by funloving(m): 9:25am On Jul 25, 2007
http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/news/article05

A NIGERIAN-BORN boxer and former world heavyweight champion, James Oyebola, has been put on life support, after being shot in the face at a Fulham night club, in West London at about 1.00 a.m. on Tuesday.

Six feet, nine inches tall, Oyebola, also known as Big Dad, worked at a nearby club as a bouncer and only went to the club to have a drink with the owner, an Irish man, when the incident occurred.

According to witnesses, the Nigerian father of two had politely stepped in to assist the club's staff, who had asked three black men to observe the "no smoking" law which came into effect in all British pubs and bars on July 1. One of the three men later produced a gun and fired at the Oyebola's face several times.

The 47-year-old boxer was also hit in the leg before the three men were seen running off in the direction of Fulham broadway. A handgun has been found at a nearby spot and Police have since sealed off the scene, which is opposite Fulham Broadway Tube Station.

Oyebola, a 1986 Commonwealth super heavyweight bronze medalist - an event at which Lennox Lewis won the gold - had an impressive professional career of 18 wins - 16 being within the distance - out of 23 fights. He reached the pinnacle of his career in 1993, winning the World Boxing Council (WBC) international heavyweight title. Three years later, he retired after losing his last fight to former British Heavyweight champion, Julius Francis.

Although reports indicate that he is unlikely to survive the shooting, Oyebola's wife of 15 years and their children are still keeping a bedside vigil.

Although the motive of the shooting is still not clear, detectives from Operation Trident - which investigate black-on-black gun crime - are meeting over it and also appealing for information.

Detective Chief Inspector, Scott Wilson wants "anyone with information to come forward to Police and assist us in bringing those responsible for gravely injuring James to justice."

He said: "We are still trying to piece it together," adding that "it would appear that James was trying to be the peacemaker and the altercation over smoking escalated from there." Wilson disclosed further that the shooting "was over very quickly, probably a matter of seconds."

He noted that James "is a family man and has a long-term partner whose two children are absolutely distraught by what has happened. Without doubt, to shoot a man like this is absolutely deplorable and these people need to be caught."

Some witnesses disclosed how the former world champion had politely stepped in to help the staff, only to be fired at without warning. "He wasn't aggressive," said a witness. Oyebola, the witness continued, "was just being a good citizen but the three saw it as a sign of disrespect. On their way out, one of them pulled out a gun and began firing at James."

Poor guy. I really hope he survives  cry
Re: Nigerian Boxing Champ Fights For Life After Gun Attack In London by angel101(f): 10:06am On Jul 25, 2007
Very sad indeed. I wish he and his family the best.
Re: Nigerian Boxing Champ Fights For Life After Gun Attack In London by desgiezd(m): 11:33am On Jul 25, 2007
I pray he survives, so sad
Re: Nigerian Boxing Champ Fights For Life After Gun Attack In London by redsun(m): 11:15am On Jul 27, 2007
Black problem is everywhere,always the last to catch up.What the italians and the irish did in late 19th and middle 20th century is what they are trying do now in the 21st century,not even to be compared with italians and irish,because they did it for money and establishment but this people just do it for nothing,ignorance,a house divided amoung itself,can never stand. We recognise there is pressure form the system against black people in general,but then the best way to fight pressure is not violence,but by using the mind as a weapon to overcome.
Re: Nigerian Boxing Champ Fights For Life After Gun Attack In London by angel101(f): 11:29am On Jul 27, 2007
the life support machine is to be turned off at 11.30 this morning. sad. may his sould rest in peace.
Re: Nigerian Boxing Champ Fights For Life After Gun Attack In London by superman(m): 8:55pm On Jul 27, 2007
amen
Re: Nigerian Boxing Champ Fights For Life After Gun Attack In London by lauryn(f): 8:59pm On Jul 27, 2007
Amen! Very sad!.
Re: Nigerian Boxing Champ Fights For Life After Gun Attack In London by denex: 10:51pm On Jul 27, 2007
So British people don kill decent hardworking Nigerian and all I hear is that it is sad. British people are not all killers. It is just only sad.

Meanwhile, did you notice that they didn't forget to mention that the shooters were black?

And somebody is saying "we". Are we the three British men that shot this innocent Nigerian dead? Now they have segregated them to black. But if they won a gold medal now, they will be British.

they keep killing the Good hardworking Nigerians and they complain that only the bad ones are left.
Re: Nigerian Boxing Champ Fights For Life After Gun Attack In London by Xris74: 9:22am On Jul 28, 2007
RIP. They should check that his killlers are not his tribal brothers from Nigeria. They don carry their Oyo state-like killing go London.
Re: Nigerian Boxing Champ Fights For Life After Gun Attack In London by simplyme3(f): 9:28am On Jul 28, 2007
whats d problem here? The guy is a Nigerian born British guy - he doesnt claim Nigeria, not a problem, sad he is shut, sad he is no nmore, why are u people introducing blacknes or Nigerianess into it? How many young British Nigerians had been killed in London over the past 6 months, over 4 of them - in East London area, all under 20, and how many Nigerian born British or no British killers are out there in London, convicted?

So stop this idea of seeing racial background in everything, if the killers are white, it is said, so if ther are black, it will be said as well, so what is the problem?
Re: Nigerian Boxing Champ Fights For Life After Gun Attack In London by denex: 11:00am On Jul 28, 2007
Please. They reported that the killers were black because they want to start buck passing. One day you'll know what this is all about. But I guess today is not the day.
Re: Nigerian Boxing Champ Fights For Life After Gun Attack In London by simplyme3(f): 3:21pm On Jul 28, 2007
@Denex

And if the killers are actually black - they should not say it still? Black or white, the killers will be told.

Buck passing to who? What is the meaning of buck passing?
Re: Nigerian Boxing Champ Fights For Life After Gun Attack In London by denex: 3:26pm On Jul 28, 2007
When they win gold medals in the Olympics, do they say its a black athlete?

Please forget these people they know that they do.
Re: Nigerian Boxing Champ Fights For Life After Gun Attack In London by simplyme3(f): 3:27pm On Jul 28, 2007
so when a black man shoots they should say its a white man?
Re: Nigerian Boxing Champ Fights For Life After Gun Attack In London by denex: 8:21pm On Jul 28, 2007
In a mixed society, When a man shoots, they should say a man shoots unless they have some motive by saying a Black man shoots.
Re: Nigerian Boxing Champ Fights For Life After Gun Attack In London by simplyme3(f): 8:23pm On Jul 28, 2007
u simply have no point.
Re: Nigerian Boxing Champ Fights For Life After Gun Attack In London by denex: 8:29pm On Jul 28, 2007
You're simply being simple_you.
Re: Nigerian Boxing Champ Fights For Life After Gun Attack In London by superman(m): 10:25pm On Jul 28, 2007
i think there is clearly and simply a motion there if u stop livly blindly
Re: Nigerian Boxing Champ Fights For Life After Gun Attack In London by redsun(m): 8:48am On Jul 30, 2007
It is not particularlly about race but the fact that mostly young disillusion blacks,even adult,are killing each other and those unfortunate to be on their way over petty things commonly fuel by drugs.Just like nigerian universities back then,cults members killing each other over little things like talking to my girl,stepping on my shoes,not buying me booze,you know,some silly things,just because they have guns and clique they want to impress.It is a phase,and i hope they get over it or be killed.Violent is the heart of the society,even the goverment people look up to are the most violent,george bush for example,this people kill hundreds of people every day and it is shown on tv for children to see and you still expect them to be normal,it is a difficult fight,especially for broken homes,single parents with little or no grip of themselves,having children and in turn have nothing to offer a child,in a prejudice society,the child will just grow up crazy and loveless.
Re: Nigerian Boxing Champ Fights For Life After Gun Attack In London by emmaxmark: 12:44am On Aug 01, 2007
Hello,
Am Emmax, I saw your email at www.nairaland.com.I need a sugar mummy who is loving,caring and hardworking.I am very understanding and I promise to satify her and make her happy all the time.My email is ( emmaxmark@yahoo.com ).
Waiting to hear from you soon.
Emmax.
Re: Nigerian Boxing Champ Fights For Life After Gun Attack In London by obong(m): 12:53am On Aug 01, 2007
u simply have no point.

nope, you just missed the point my dear
Re: Nigerian Boxing Champ Fights For Life After Gun Attack In London by presido1: 8:55pm On Aug 01, 2007
That the politics in UK, they will always tell you is black when it coms to bad thing. Even them Scots complain too, when a scot man win a medal BBc will proclaim him or her british but when an english man win they will remove british and call him an english man. Do we have option NO. danex my brother be careful b4 they call you terrorist.

(1) (Reply)

Tax Exemptions And Waivers Stopped - Obj Reforms Being Reversed? / Pls Who's Government Is Better, On A General Note. Obasanjo Or Yardua? / Rig At Cms?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.