Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,837 members, 7,810,219 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:29 AM

Windows 8: The Thread - Computers (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Windows 8: The Thread (31453 Views)

Poll: Would you upgrade when windows 8 is available??

Yes: 100% (1 vote)
No: 0% (0 votes)
Maybe: 0% (0 votes)
I don't know: 0% (0 votes)
This poll has ended

How To Install Windows 8.1 In a System / Which Antivirus Is Best For Windows 8 / Windows 8 Computers To Go On Sale In October (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Windows 8: The Thread by chikend(m): 10:52pm On Jun 05, 2011
LoveKing:

looks improved though but i'll prefer they include yahoo, facebook, google and other nice applications in the bundle.
r u serious? shocked, u must b kiddn me, hv u used a pc lately?
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by moonraker(m): 7:37am On Jun 06, 2011
UPDATE ON ONE PART OF WINDOWS 8 (INTERNET EXPLORER 10)

So i was given a preview software for internet explorer 10 today and i have

been using it for the past 5hours. Very Impressed so far with the speed and all,

I am alit bit annoyed cos microsoft have decided to remove the address bar totally

away from version 10. They are less customization in this version. Its also has a

manual switch to use your graphics card for online gaming or not.

nice product so far!!!!
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by moonraker(m): 7:44am On Jun 06, 2011
PEOPLE PLEASE READ THIS

At the just concluded conference in tokyo which i was opportunied to attend,

The CEO of Microsoft (Steve Blamier) stated and i quote.

Windows 8 is really targeted at tablets but will also be optimized for PCs and Desktops.

It will change the way you use your computer. while the whole concept is Touchscreen blah blah,

You can switch btw touch screen interface and non touch screen interfaces. And if your computer

doesnt come with the touchscreen thingy, then as time goes by, you can buy added equipments

to enjoy the feature.
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by ncpat(m): 8:30am On Jun 06, 2011
the best ever is windows xp
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by candylips(m): 9:15am On Jun 06, 2011
windows 8 for tablet. oh please.

imagine waiting for 3 mis for the tablet to boot up because windows is booting up grin
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by moonraker(m): 10:22am On Jun 06, 2011
@ Candylips

candylips:

windows 8 for tablet. oh please.

imagine waiting for 3 mis for the tablet to boot up because windows is booting up grin

I realize that ur a windows hater. but dogg, let me remind you whether or not ur a mac or linux fan boy,

it still wouldnt take one naira away from microsoft. As bad as Vista was, It still sold in millions. The Mac

platform is what it is today becos its sells its own hardware. something microsoft isnt really brave in doing

becos it is a software company. so pls, stop hating, cheers wink
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by candylips(m): 1:47pm On Jun 06, 2011
am not hating bro  wink.

am just wondering how windows is going to compete with mac or andriod in the tablet space.

unless microsoft has made some drastic changes to windows 8 like improved startup time, unexplained crashing etc. They don't stand a chance against iOS or andriod.

BTW Vista sold that much because it was already pre-installed to most PC's. a lot of people will have happly stayed on XP.
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by Nobody: 2:16pm On Jun 06, 2011
well lets wait and see, they made so much promise with vistas and see what happened.

anyways i don't have a problem with microsoft, i just like diversity.
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by moonraker(m): 2:39am On Jun 09, 2011
NEWS UPDATE

There has been rumours that Microsoft might go all out with a 64bit only

Windows 8 release and that the versions of this release would be

Windows 8 (Tablet Version)

Windows 8 (Pro, Ultimate ) Respectively.

Lastest Windows 8 Build String

6.1.7850.0.winmain_win8m1.100922-1508_x86vol_client-enterprise_en-us.iso
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by BankoleO1: 4:42am On Jun 09, 2011
so whats the damn difference between Win 7 & 8? I am tired of windows undecided they just ported win 7 for tablets PC and called it windows 8. RUBBISH!
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by moonraker(m): 11:41am On Sep 17, 2011
Lastest Build

Re: Windows 8: The Thread by moonraker(m): 11:45am On Sep 17, 2011
Windows explorer

Re: Windows 8: The Thread by moonraker(m): 11:49am On Sep 17, 2011
ie 10

Re: Windows 8: The Thread by moonraker(m): 11:57am On Sep 17, 2011
more

Re: Windows 8: The Thread by moonraker(m): 12:01pm On Sep 17, 2011
more

Re: Windows 8: The Thread by moonraker(m): 12:06pm On Sep 17, 2011
boom

Re: Windows 8: The Thread by moonraker(m): 12:12pm On Sep 17, 2011
more

Re: Windows 8: The Thread by moonraker(m): 12:13pm On Sep 17, 2011
;d

Re: Windows 8: The Thread by moonraker(m): 12:14pm On Sep 17, 2011
cool

Re: Windows 8: The Thread by moonraker(m): 12:15pm On Sep 17, 2011
smiley

Re: Windows 8: The Thread by moonraker(m): 12:16pm On Sep 17, 2011
:d

Re: Windows 8: The Thread by 4llerbuntu(m): 9:01pm On Sep 17, 2011
i see moonraker already put up screenies.

NOW MY VIEWS ARE FOCUSED TOWARDS PROPER, HEAVY, VARIED, COMPETENT USAGE OF A COMPUTER, NOT CHECKING FACEBOOK AND WATCHING MOVIES, ENTERTAINMENT ONLY TYPE OF USE.

now if this was a tablet os strictly, im cool.
except i do not understand a tablet os that occupies close to 15 gb hard disk space, has a registry, etc etc put in the standard windows foibles. obvious advantage tho is that it can do wHat most desktop os do too, mount external drives etc.
tablets for now top off averagely at 64 GB memory. 128 GB is criminally expensive.
so by today's standards, a win 8 tab will be more expensive than a ipad? thank God its not final for the next year, maybe by then 128GB ssd go don turn purewater.

then again, on a p4 fresh install, win 7 boots up for me in 40 secs max. so this thing that actually does not shut down/boot up doing it on a fresh install in 10 secs is not news. ubuntu does that too on a SSD, and keeps its speed.
after installing apps and using for a week, u and i know that claim goes to the dogs for windows.

good thing you folks think its win7 done up, actually its not. its a mere attempt at keeping semblance with the old. click on the start menu button and what do u get?
now i aint saying its a bad thing.

now like i pointed out elsewhere, they put in HYPER-V and went overboard with it. practically everything thats not tied to the Metro UI runs in the hyper vm. now u suspend apps in ram wen u close or minimise. seems smart, if u are using a phone that is.
they have been marketing this thing as a desktop OS, how much RAM will pc's have to come with ideally for win8? i put on y pc, start my browser, check some stuff, put on some music, run some other stuff, put on Call of Duty 3, alt-tab to do something else . . . . . . . . . . . how much ram am i gonna have before it slows down to a grind.

ITS A GOOD IDEA ON A TABLET, NOT ON A DESKTOP PC!!!!!!! that one na angry birds etc e dey run

now usage. it is such a steep learning curve that for once i wont be afraid to introduce anyone to linux, i simply say guy, its easier than learning win 8, how on earth do they expect everyone who is conditioned to pointing and clicking to figure out how to multitask and be productive with this crap on a pc? it cannot make up its mind on what it wanna be, now u in metro, next u in legacy win32 VM, merely switching between open apps when u have more than 2 open is atrocious. u need to be a keyboard junkie. i can imagine making all those pple who went to ikeja pc school learn keyboard shortcuts after being conditioned to mouse.

frankly, its a shock for anyone. even u so called tech savvy will spnd the 1st 3 days feeling your way round.

IF THEY WANNA MAKE A TABLET OS, MAKE ONE, CALL IT WIN 8 TAB OR SOMETHING, DONT ABUSE THE GOOD WORK BY TRYING TO DECEIVE PPLE TO USE THIS SHYTE ON A PC.
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by 4llerbuntu(m): 9:07pm On Sep 17, 2011
http://www.engadget.com/2011/09/16/windows-8-on-a-laptop-in-depth-preview-video/

Also do not miss the comments, at least there u find lots of pple who have been using it too.

i will format the damn thing tomorrow evening. 3 days is long enough to occupy hard drive space on my pc.

btw, anyone here figure out how to install in virtualbox? i tried severally, following various tips but no success
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by moonraker(m): 10:20pm On Sep 17, 2011
AND AS USUAL MR UBUNTU DID NOT FAIL TO DISAPPOINT,

4llerbuntu:

i see moonraker already put up screenies.

NOW MY VIEWS ARE FOCUSED TOWARDS PROPER, HEAVY, VARIED, COMPETENT USAGE OF A COMPUTER, NOT CHECKING FACEBOOK AND WATCHING MOVIES, ENTERTAINMENT ONLY TYPE OF USE.

now if this was a tablet os strictly, im cool.
except i do not understand a tablet os that occupies close to 15 gb hard disk space, has a registry, etc etc put in the standard windows foibles.   obvious advantage tho is that it can do wHat most desktop os do too, mount external drives etc.
tablets for now top off averagely at 64 GB memory. 128 GB is criminally expensive.  
so by today's standards, a win 8 tab will be more expensive than a ipad?  thank God its not final for the next year, maybe by then 128GB ssd go don turn purewater.

then again, on a p4 fresh install, win 7 boots up for me in 40 secs max. so this thing that actually does not shut down/boot up doing it on a fresh install in 10 secs is not news. ubuntu does that too on a SSD, and keeps its speed.
after installing apps and using for a week, u and i know that claim goes to the dogs for windows.

good thing you folks think its win7 done up, actually its not. its a mere attempt at keeping semblance with the old. click on the start menu button and what do u get?
now i aint saying its a bad thing.

now like i pointed out elsewhere, they put in HYPER-V and went overboard with it. practically everything thats not tied to the Metro UI runs in the hyper vm. now u suspend apps in ram wen u close or minimise.  seems smart, if u are using a phone that is.
they have been marketing this thing as a desktop OS, how much RAM will pc's have to come with ideally for win8?  i put on y pc, start my browser, check some stuff, put on some music, run some other stuff, put on Call of Duty 3, alt-tab to do something else . . . . . .  . . . . . how much ram am i gonna have before it slows down to a grind.

ITS A GOOD IDEA ON A TABLET, NOT ON A DESKTOP PC!!!!!!! that one na angry birds etc e dey run

now usage. it is such a steep learning curve that for once i wont be afraid to introduce anyone to linux, i simply say guy, its easier than learning win 8, how on earth do they expect everyone who is conditioned to pointing and clicking to figure out how to multitask and be productive with this crap on a pc? it cannot make up its mind on what it wanna be, now u in metro, next u in legacy win32 VM, merely switching between open apps when u have more than 2 open is atrocious. u need to be a keyboard junkie.  i can imagine making all those pple who went to ikeja pc school learn keyboard shortcuts after being conditioned to mouse.

frankly, its a shock for anyone. even u so called tech savvy will spnd the 1st 3 days feeling your way round.

IF THEY WANNA MAKE A TABLET OS, MAKE ONE, CALL IT WIN 8 TAB OR SOMETHING, DONT ABUSE THE GOOD WORK BY TRYING TO DECEIVE PPLE TO USE THIS SHYTE ON A PC.

First of all, for a techie u, i am shocked. Haba!!! this isn't even a beta yet and critizing its size bla bla. The registry your talking abt, doesn't IOS have that too??

(Bet you didn't know that). Btw, it isn't Microsoft job to design the hardware. They give out guildlines to the OEMs and based of those requirements, the OEMs

make the hardware to run the software. So please, how abt you wait until the final product is released. With regards to the startup and shut down, I can confidently

tell you that if you don't install crappy software, then your good to go. The fact that only posted screenies that are social network related, doesn't mean that its

the only thing i tested. I install all the software i had on the windows 7 environment to this bad boy and its still starts and shuts flawlessly. ALso coming to a store

near you is a feature called FASTBOOT which enables you to boot into windows in 5secs so all those crap your talking abt it slowing down is nonsense.

Your argument of the system requirements is just  lipsrsealed. See, The system requirements isn't the issue here. Since this is a sort of desktop OS/Tablet OS,

My only fear is the processors becos if the hyper v kicks in with the suspend ram thingy, that application is no longer stored on the RAM but on the processor : This is why Microsoft is partnering with ARM to make sure that before this bad boy goes live, It did be able to run well on the

mobile side of things. on the desktop side?? easy peasy, just use ur normal windows machine and if you wanna talk advantage of the touch screen features, get

a touch screen enabler.

Btw just a quick question, Have you ever seen a smartphone choked?? i mean freeze?? becos of you trying to run ten billion apps at the same time?? Dont lie.

Well that era is about to come to an end. Microsoft knows this. watch them do the magic,

On a final note about usage, i am just more than shocked. The reason why you have the normal windows desktop is for people who do not have

the touch facility (Backward Compactibility Right??). Secondly, I am very sure that on the tablet version of this software, The normal desktop would not

be avaliable. Everything would be streamlined into the touch screen interface.

In conclusion, i am impressed with what Microsoft has done. if this where to go live now, i did buy it sharply. I just submitted the nairaland app to microsoft.

lets see how that turn out,
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by 4llerbuntu(m): 12:43am On Sep 18, 2011
dude, this thing is totally unintuitive and not new user friendly.

simple test, call anyone around u who has not used this before and tell the person to locate drive c.

thart ribbon is so stooopid, now explorer looks like word 2010.

they seem to have managed an extra 2 clicks to anything clickable.

i don't have a tablet to test on, but tell me, how does it behave when u install a legacy app, say firefox and u have to navigate by touch?

anyways, i hear that its just a ruse, at launch there will separate versions for tablets and desktops. which is advisable.
the metro part is totally useless for me sha.

bottomline, wijn xp best ever lol
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by moonraker(m): 1:28am On Sep 18, 2011
4llerbuntu:

dude, this thing is totally unintuitive and not new user friendly.

simple test, call anyone around u who has not used this before and tell the person to locate drive c.

thart ribbon is so stooopid, now explorer looks like word 2010.

they seem to have managed an extra 2 clicks to anything clickable.

i don't have a tablet to test on, but tell me, how does it behave when u install a legacy app, say firefox and u have to navigate by touch?

anyways, i hear that its just a ruse, at launch there will separate versions for tablets and desktops. which is advisable.
the metro part is totally useless for me sha.

bottomline, wijn xp best ever lol

And you just succeeded in repeating what i have said several times on this thread

there is gonna be windows 8 tablet, pro and ultimate
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by 4llerbuntu(m): 7:24am On Sep 18, 2011
Hmmn, good luck with that.
A few people have been trying to correct me elsewhere on the runtime, ram, processor issue.

No one seems to be quite sure whats going on under the hood.

As far as im concerned, this is another vista debacle wannabe. Good thing for microsoft is they are so big they can do crap and still sell millions. And correct it later.

as u.said its alpha, lets wait till RC
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by Nobody: 8:12pm On Sep 18, 2011
xterra2:

[size=18pt]Full Windows 8 Guide and Details below[/size]
You can ask questions and i would respond

First Windows 8 is the Successor to Windows 7 released On October 22,2009 which sold 350 M units as of last month,
Since the Release of Windows 7 the game of computing change, like Cloud and Touchscreen and the smartphone invasion that makes us do less with our PC hence the "Post - PC" Era as some people decide to call it esp Apple Fanboys
With Windows 7 they was Netbooks as iPad affected the sale of it and with 20million iPads sold the tablet game is attractive
Hence the two Versions of Win 8 Tablets and our Good old normal Desktop Win 8
It does support ARM and of course X86, with SoC like the Kal-el (tegra 3 ) or the Quad core Snapdrogon at 2.5Ghz per core

Tablet Version
It is based on the Tiles rather than icons which is very good, instead of going to the weather app by touching the icon we could see the Weather simply via the tiles, it is like WP7 and like everything Microsoft nowadays, the Metro Design Language is visible,

Desktop Version
Due to be announced in PDC in septmeber and enter beta by then,
Among its feature are:
Facial Recognition - use your face to logon
Ability to wae your PC and go to sleep using Proximity Sensor + webcam - it can go to sleep if it notices theres nobody and can wake up when the user is back and it notices that
Inbuilt PDF Reader- Called Modern Reader
Ability of more DiskCleanup
IE 10
Faster startup and shutdown times- supper fast
Installation in 8 mintues
Can restore the PC to its original state in 2 minutes
Ability to carry your WIndows on a USB stick of 16Gb or above
Syncing witht he cloud- Using a Live ID located at the botom right of the taskbar when you sign it it can synce your settings so you get it on any win 8 PC
Better Games of Windows
Added the Ribbon from Office into the Explorere
no more BSOD it is Black not blue maybe
Windows AppStore,
Better security,

It is due to be released in 2012 but the tablet coming out first ,
More details if you ask me,

Windows 8 boot-ups to browsing before Mac OS can even show the log-in screen. From what I see here on my test pc, it's still BSOD but prettier.
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by Xionez(m): 11:37am On Sep 19, 2011
Who is talking 'DOWNLOAD IT' here?!
It took them a mere hour or plus to download 3.2GB Windows 8 according to Engadget, whose center is near AOL HQ.
You fit try am in Naija?!, even when your ISP is feeling generous. Highest you can get is 1MBps with the widely acclaimed 4g networks.
If you want to know if makes sense to upgrade if Windows8 releases, google for 'Windows 8 review - Engadget'.
To me, it doesnt make any sense. Even at developer stage.
Im sticking to Windows 7 until Windows 9 comes out. If i am forced to choose it, i will just create a partition for it like i did for Vista.
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by v3: 10:34am On Sep 20, 2011
Xionez:

Who is talking 'DOWNLOAD IT' here?!
It took them a mere hour or plus to download 3.2GB Windows 8 according to Engadget, whose center is near AOL HQ.
You fit try am in Naija?!, even when your ISP is feeling generous. Highest you can get is 1MBps with the widely acclaimed 4g networks.
If you want to know if makes sense to upgrade if Windows8 releases, google for 'Windows 8 review - Engadget'.
To me, it doesnt make any sense. Even at developer stage.
Im sticking to Windows 7 until Windows 9 comes out. If i am forced to choose it, i will just create a partition for it like i did for Vista.
This is sooo wrong, i've download huge files and my speed varies from 2-9mbps and YES,i'm in Nigeria wink
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:17pm On Sep 22, 2011
isnt this just so typical and nice of ms.
such a wonderful company no?

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/09/windows-8-secure-boot-prevent-linux-installation/

Microsoft are pushing for changes to the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) firmware specifications that would prevent any operating system apart from Windows 8 being able to boot on a computer.

The proposal would see all computers sold by manufacturers wishing to gain a ‘Windows Certified’ badge for their devices needing to adhere to the ‘secure boot’ protocol – thus locking out the ability to install Linux in the process.

‘Secure Boot’ works by keeping ‘secret keys’ within the system itself. These keys are then used to “sign” anything that wishes to run – such as operating systems. If an operating system isn’t signed by a matching key then booting of it will not be allowed.

But it’s not just restrictive to software vendors either as Red Hat’s Matthew Garrett explains: -

“A hardware vendor cannot run their hardware inside the EFI environment unless their drivers are signed with a key that’s included in the system firmware. If you install a new graphics card that either has unsigned drivers, or drivers that are signed with a key that’s not in your system firmware, you’ll get no graphics support in the firmware.”

The technology isn’t new; most motherboards shipped today support Secure Boot but have it disabled by default. For the roll out of Windows 8 Microsoft want to see Secure Boot enabled on all devices shipping with their name on by default.

and people wonder why i like them so much
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by moonraker(m): 10:27pm On Sep 22, 2011
4llerbuntu:

isnt this just so typical and nice of ms.
such a wonderful company no?

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/09/windows-8-secure-boot-prevent-linux-installation/

Microsoft are pushing for changes to the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) firmware specifications that would prevent any operating system apart from Windows 8 being able to boot on a computer.

The proposal would see all computers sold by manufacturers wishing to gain a ‘Windows Certified’ badge for their devices needing to adhere to the ‘secure boot’ protocol – thus locking out the ability to install Linux in the process.

‘Secure Boot’ works by keeping ‘secret keys’ within the system itself. These keys are then used to “sign” anything that wishes to run – such as operating systems. If an operating system isn’t signed by a matching key then booting of it will not be allowed.

But it’s not just restrictive to software vendors either as Red Hat’s Matthew Garrett explains: -

“A hardware vendor cannot run their hardware inside the EFI environment unless their drivers are signed with a key that’s included in the system firmware. If you install a new graphics card that either has unsigned drivers, or drivers that are signed with a key that’s not in your system firmware, you’ll get no graphics support in the firmware.”

The technology isn’t new; most motherboards shipped today support Secure Boot but have it disabled by default. For the roll out of Windows 8 Microsoft want to see Secure Boot enabled on all devices shipping with their name on by default.

and people wonder why i like them so much

It is called business sense. Something u would try to see if u werent wrapped up in ur cobweb of hate for MS.

Apple makes it own hardware and software, i dont hear u complaining abt that. This is the only way that MS

can make sure that its stays ahead of the game seeing as Windows 8 will be a big hitt

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Things To Consider Before Buying Laptop / Simple Server: MTN Simple Server Download for Android & Code, Cheat for PC / How To Speedup Internet With Top 10 Public DNS Servers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.