Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,410 members, 7,954,628 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 02:45 AM

Windows 8: The Thread - Computers (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Windows 8: The Thread (31756 Views)

Poll: Would you upgrade when windows 8 is available??

Yes: 100% (1 vote)
No: 0% (0 votes)
Maybe: 0% (0 votes)
I don't know: 0% (0 votes)
This poll has ended

How To Install Windows 8.1 In a System / Which Antivirus Is Best For Windows 8 / Windows 8 Computers To Go On Sale In October (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Windows 8: The Thread by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:47am On Sep 23, 2011
moonraker:

It is called business sense. Something u would try to see if u werent wrapped up in your cobweb of hate for MS.

Apple makes it own hardware and software, i dont hear u complaining abt that. This is the only way that MS

can make sure that its stays ahead of the game seeing as Windows 8 will be a big hitt

business sense is having 90 % of the desktop pc market and then crippling competition by nuking the remiaining 10 % by unfair, sharp monopolistic practices?

do u listen to yourself at all? so to you, u believe that we would be better off without choice?

funny u compare apple, does MS make its own hardware? do u realise apple has used EFI bootloaders for years and have never ever prevented you from loading up any OS on it?

the way to stay ahead of the competition is to make sure you produce a product that betters the competition.
not engage in sharp anti competition practices to harm competitors.

is it not curious that they thought up this move when they want to release this their rubbish edition. they dont want anor vista no, cuz that was a period they lost like 5 % market share no?

cobweb of hate? LWKMD. left to pple like you MTN would be the only telco in naija, PDP only party

do u even realise its for your own good that competition remain strong. besides why are they trying to harm a very small competitor? you should realise that Linux and other OS wont just die. hell the OEMs will simply make other pc's for linux.
the problem is, close minded people like you wont get to even look outside anymore

in a microsoft world, we would all still be using Internet Explorer solely. what i find amusing is, if they want to cripple the competition, where are they going to get all the innovations they copy all the time? do u realise 90 % of the so -called new features that get into windows at any iteration were already in use in other OS years before?

SMH.
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by moonraker(m): 10:16am On Sep 23, 2011
4llerbuntu:

business sense is having 90 % of the desktop pc market and then crippling competition by nuking the remiaining 10 % by unfair, sharp monopolistic practices?

do u listen to yourself at all? so to you, u believe that we would be better off without choice?

funny u compare apple, does MS make its own hardware? do u realise apple has used EFI bootloaders for years and have never ever prevented you from loading up any OS on it?

the way to stay ahead of the competition is to make sure you produce a product that betters the competition.
not engage in sharp anti competition practices to harm competitors.

is it not curious that they thought up this move when they want to release this their rubbish edition. they dont want anor vista no, cuz that was a period they lost like 5 % market share no?

cobweb of hate? LWKMD. left to pple like you MTN would be the only telco in naija, PDP only party

do u even realise its for your own good that competition remain strong. besides why are they trying to harm a very small competitor? you should realise that Linux and other OS wont just die. hell the OEMs will simply make other pc's for linux.
the problem is, close minded people like you wont get to even look outside anymore

in a microsoft world, we would all still be using Internet Explorer solely. what i find amusing is, if they want to cripple the competition, where are they going to get all the innovations they copy all the time? do u realise 90 % of the so -called new features that get into windows at any iteration were already in use in other OS years before?

SMH.

It is now envious that u did not understand a single word i typed so let me summarize my talk in one blow.

Never ever did i talk abt monoploy so pls stop inserting items i never spoke about.

So what?? MS is trying to crush the competition, Isnt it the rest of the players responsibility to try to gain ground

in that sector?? or you want MS to help them?? MR whatever you call urself, you just hate MS and this hate didnt start from today.

You are a typical example of a complaining adult. Always questioning every move. How about you go make your own software and

create it in your own twisted image, iso rar or whatever.

The fanboy that ur claiming to be self zero: Linux has been in existence since what 1998?? and still it isnt mainstream on consumer PCs.

I guess MS caused that too, Schewww I hiss in Jabulani,
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by 4llerbuntu(m): 7:24am On Sep 24, 2011
truly u do not understand and it will serve no purpose to flog this issue.
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by moonraker(m): 12:25am On Sep 25, 2011
4llerbuntu:

truly u do not understand and it will serve no purpose to flog this issue.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/09/22/protecting-the-pre-os-environment-with-uefi.aspx

This is up. The UEFI system isnt as bad as u potray it to be
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:58am On Sep 25, 2011
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by moonraker(m): 10:46am On Sep 25, 2011
4llerbuntu:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween_Documents

What am i suppose to be looking for here
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by Phony200(m): 11:58am On Sep 25, 2011
from what i've read, it's not a compulsory thing for OEMs to implement Secure Boot. Microsoft will only provide the feature and it's now left to them to activate it or not. Windows 8 boots from a cold start in less than 8 secs, I love metro and i'll definitely get Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 (or whatever version number Mango will get). And for the umpteenth time, the metro Start page is optional, there's always access to the Classic desktop too. Video previews from Build looked very encouraging. Can't wait till there's a beta for me to install.
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by moonraker(m): 3:46am On Mar 05, 2012
UPDATE

Alrighty, as you all may have heard or seen, a new build of Windows 8 was

introduced on march 1st 2012 after the presentation in Barcelona, Spain on Feb 29th.

This build *8250* is available for download on the Microsoft technet site. A simple google search

will also bring up other sites hosting this particular iso.

Remember that this is software is for testing purposes only so use at your own risk.

My thoughts

I have had this version for 2weeks now on my netbook which is equipped with the ffg specs

Processor: Atom 1.67ghz

Ram: 2gb

Hard disk : Intel solid state drive 320gb.

Video card: Intel graphics

This computer is dual booted with Windows 7 pro 32bits

I must admit that windows 8 seems faster than windows 7 without any tweaks and memory management

has improved too. however, i discovered that apps on the metro UI area could not launch for the sole reason that

the resolution of my computer was too low. *mine stops at 1024x600* while the minimum requirement is 1024x768.

This is however a hack to enable such a resolution on my netbook but that just made everything looked stretched.

Secondly, while i am a fan of the metro UI, i am also a scholar of the fact that if you dont have the power to fully run

something, then there isnt any need for it. this is my problem with metro UI. clearly i do not have the technology to

run the touchscreen thingy, so i feel that i should have the power to disable. Again, there is a hack for it but that

brings up another issue. WTF is Windows 8 without Metro UI??

Screenies to follow shortly
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by moonraker(m): 9:55am On Mar 05, 2012
Screenies as promised

Re: Windows 8: The Thread by moonraker(m): 10:09am On Mar 05, 2012
more

Re: Windows 8: The Thread by moonraker(m): 10:13am On Mar 05, 2012
more

Re: Windows 8: The Thread by moonraker(m): 10:16am On Mar 05, 2012
more

Re: Windows 8: The Thread by 4llerbuntu(m): 1:29pm On Mar 05, 2012
i envy microsoft at times.

the ability to do anything they like and get away with it is priceless.

the absence of the start button alone on the fall back desktop mode is enough to halt most windows users at first try. im pretty sure most wont know what to do!

if anyone tried this on any other os, the back lash would be incredible. just look at what canonical is facing for simple things such as disabling autohide docks or reducing the size of the BFB which incidentally is similar to the windows start button.

u have people screaming and shouting and supposedly migrating away to other OS etc etc.

personally, on tablets this win 8 metro will fly well, i just suspect when its finally sold and the initial buzz dies down we will find most people and especially corporations and businesses will stick to win 7. just like the XP and Vista palava. difference is this time around their is anor platform to target, i.e. tablets.

game on
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by moonraker(m): 10:46am On Mar 07, 2012
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Re: Windows 8: The Thread by moonraker(m): 6:49am On May 29, 2012
Microsoft reveals Windows 8 desktop UI changes, drops Aero Glass

Microsoft has revealed that it has made some big changes to its desktop UI for Windows 8, which includes moving away from Aero Glass — the UI first introduced with Vista. According to the company, this means visual changes that include "flattening surfaces, removing reflections, and scaling back distracting gradients."

Despite all of these changes with the interface, the company doesn't appear to be worried about the issue of "learnability." Instead, Microsoft believes that with a little help it won't take long for users to adapt to the new operating system. "We will help people get off on the right foot," the company explained in a blog post, "and we have confidence that people will quickly find the new paradigms to be second-nature."

While Microsoft admits that there have been some usability issues with certain gestures in the Consumer Preview, the company says that this is not an issue with people coming to grips with the concept, but instead a problem with the early state of the OS — internal builds are already "significantly improved," according to Microsoft, so we should see an easier-to-use Windows 8 when the Release Preview launches next month. The post also packs a great dose of nostalgia, as the team looks back at interface issues dating all the way to Windows 1 in 1985. Be sure to check out the source link below for a trip down memory lane.

SOURCE

http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/18/3029547/microsoft-windows-8-drops-aero-glass

Bad move if you ask me!!!!
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by moonraker(m): 1:39am On Sep 28, 2012
Alrighty people!!

its been a while since i updated this thread. i think it has alot to do with

the fact that for the first time since i started using a computer using windows 3.1

I am not too excited about the change from the normal power user windows environment

to metro UI...

But inspite of what i think, this version of windows will sell one way or another. whether through

Microsoft surface, various tablets from OEMS or even from the desktop/laptop side of things!!!

As you may all know, Windows 8 has been released to technet and msdn subscribers and we are just

29 days from the general availability of Windows 8. I already have a copy of Windows 8 Pro iching to be

installed, thanks to msdn subscription but just waiting for the bugs and drivers to be mature first!!!

Are you excited about the new windows??
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by moonraker(m): 1:44am On Sep 28, 2012
The System Requirements (Bare Minimum)

Here are the basics as outlined by Microsoft in a blog post:

1GHz or faster processor

1GB RAM (32-bit) or 2GB RAM (64-bit)

16GB available hard-disk space (32-bit) or 20GB (64-bit)

DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver

Microsoft also says, "Metro style applications have a minimum of 1,024x768 screen resolution, and 1,366x768 for the snap feature." "Snap" refers to Windows 8's feature of automatically resizing and positioning application Windows when you drag them to the side of the screen. And "Metro" is the now-abandoned nomenclature for Windows 8's distinct touch-oriented software interface design.

Microsoft has suggested both "Modern UI," and "Windows 8-style UI" as alternatives, and may further refine the name before Windows 8's October 26 launch date.

Fifa 13 PC just got released today!!! No windows 8 Support!!!
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by moonraker(m): 6:37am On Sep 28, 2012
Some Links to help you out with migration from windows 7 to 8

http://www.eightforums.com/

http://windows8forums.com/
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by moonraker(m): 12:47am On Oct 04, 2012
If you want to test drive windows 8, you can do so by trying out a copy of

Windows 8 enterprise on the microsoft site!!!! You can try it out for

180 days tops!!!

Do not attempt to upgrade from windows 7 to 8. You will have to re install

if you want to go back to windows 7. clean installation is highly recommended.

Windows 8 requires that you put in your product key before you can install the

OS in the first place. No Key, no installation.

I suspect that it might be very difficult for hackers to crack this one!!!!

Also as a rule, do not install windows 8 as ur main OS now. it still has alot

of bugs...
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by Dreystar(f): 7:18am On Oct 05, 2012
moonraker:
Also as a rule, do not install windows 8 as ur main OS now. it still has alot

of bugs...

I've installed windows 8(realease preview) as my main OS for a month now, and I'm yet to see "a lot of bugs"

BTW.......Its pretty cool
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by moonraker(m): 7:34am On Oct 05, 2012
By bugs, i meant driver support!!!

Many OEMS and software developers are in

the process of making their software and drivers

windows 8 ready!!!!

may i ask what you use your computer for??
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by Dreystar(f): 9:21am On Oct 05, 2012
moonraker: By bugs, i meant driver support!!!

Many OEMS and software developers are in

the process of making their software and drivers

windows 8 ready!!!!

may i ask what you use your computer for??

YOu're right about that, but I don't consider it much of a bug.

I use my pc for anything and everything a computer can do wink
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by moonraker(m): 7:33am On Oct 15, 2012
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by 4llerbuntu(m): 1:47pm On Oct 15, 2012
moonraker: Windows 8 The most secure OS??

Read below

http://www.itproportal.com/2012/07/31/will-windows-8-be-the-most-secure-os-in-town/

Hmmn, time, oh sweet time, will tell. i do believe from track records, we know what to expect.

anyway, as an aside, how many exploits have been recorded against a pure BSD or debian install at these "conferences" without having root?
or is the definition of "OS" limited to commercial ones?
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by moonraker(m): 1:39am On Oct 16, 2012
4llerbuntu:

Hmmn, time, oh sweet time, will tell. i do believe from track records, we know what to expect.

anyway, as an aside, how many exploits have been recorded against a pure BSD or debian install at these "conferences" without having root?
or is the definition of "OS" limited to commercial ones?

I know that ur looking for fight... So i will just chill and allow you to believe in what you wanna believe in.

Btw what OS are you using right now?? Let me take a wild guess!!!! Ubuntu and Windows 7?? Well news for you pal,

Windows 8 will be more secure than 7. The worst OS in terms of security is OSX (Personal Experience).
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by 4llerbuntu(m): 12:39pm On Oct 18, 2012
moonraker:

I know that ur looking for fight... So i will just chill and allow you to believe in what you wanna believe in.

hunh
lord almighty! dude your pretty older than this shyte. whats up with the BS?

im really getting weaned off NL by crap like this

moonraker:
Btw what OS are you using right now?? Let me take a wild guess!!!! Ubuntu and Windows 7?? Well news for you pal,

Windows 8 will be more secure than 7. The worst OS in terms of security is OSX (Personal Experience).

what does my choice of OS have to do with anything?

windows 8 will be more secure because MS has given you a lot of tech geekspeak BS?

have you ever seen a software product launch that did'nt go on overdrive with the hype crap? just because the marketing guys at MS say its so does not make it so.

was win7 not supposed to be the most secure when it was released too? xp, vista? even the OSX you so gallantly demean is marketed as the most secure of all time

like i said, TIME will tell us if truly its the most secure thing since methuselah's cojones.

don't hold your breath tho, as at this morning i have seen software to crack, remove wga, activate, rearm e.t.c all the versions of win8 and its not even official yet.

duh!!
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by samir101ng(m): 1:58pm On Oct 18, 2012
Windows 8 Pre-Orders Start; $39.99 Download Option on October 26th

Windows 8 SKUs

Windows 8 Upgrade Windows 7/Vista/XP Upgrade Full Version Price

Windows 8 Pro Pack X - - $69

Windows 8 Pro Upgrade (Boxed) - X - $69

Windows 8 Pro Upgrade (Download) - X - $39

Windows 8 (Core) OEM - - X $99

Windows 8 Professional OEM - - X $139

1 Like

Re: Windows 8: The Thread by 4llerbuntu(m): 10:26am On Oct 19, 2012
http://arstechnica.com/security/2012/10/experts-windows-8-features-make-account-passwords-easier-to-steal/

New features designed to make it easier to log into Windows 8 accounts allow encrypted passwords to be converted into plaintext in some cases, security researchers said.

The features, which allow people to sign in with a picture-based password and four-digit personal identification number, are intended to provide a less-cumbersome alternative to entering a password each time users want to access their account. Once people have set up a password for an account, they can use pictures or PINs to log in from then on.

But the added convenience comes at a cost. According to security experts who have tested the features in developer pre-releases of the upcoming Microsoft operating system, the features cause Windows 8 to store passwords using encryption that can be reversed. Attackers who gain physical control of a computer as well as administrator access can extract the key that recovers the plaintext password of each account that uses the log-on alternatives. The latest version of Windows Password Recovery, a password-cracking package sold by Russia-based Passcape Software, claims to do just that.

Hmmn, speak of the likkle devils
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by moonraker(m): 9:27pm On Oct 19, 2012
Screenies

Re: Windows 8: The Thread by moonraker(m): 9:28pm On Oct 19, 2012
IE 10

Re: Windows 8: The Thread by moonraker(m): 9:29pm On Oct 19, 2012
Personalize

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Differences Between Megabytes, Gigabytes, Terabytes & Petabytes, Exabytes ------ / Things To Consider Before Buying Laptop / Should Anyone Buy The 740,000 Naira HP Spectre X360?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.