Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,171 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:41 AM

Windows 8: The Thread - Computers (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Windows 8: The Thread (31469 Views)

Poll: Would you upgrade when windows 8 is available??

Yes: 100% (1 vote)
No: 0% (0 votes)
Maybe: 0% (0 votes)
I don't know: 0% (0 votes)
This poll has ended

How To Install Windows 8.1 In a System / Which Antivirus Is Best For Windows 8 / Windows 8 Computers To Go On Sale In October (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Windows 8: The Thread by OPEYEMIAD(m): 9:24pm On Jan 10, 2013
[quote author=semid4lyfe]

The offline KMS activator I used initially activates Windows 8 for 6 months but you can run it again and again to re-activate your windows whenever it expires. . .but maybe before it expires, DAZ or some other genius would have come up with a permanent activator smiley Still want it?
Yes post d link pls I want to personalise the setting it keep on saying window must activated first

Most 2013 antivures are compatibe with Windows 8. . .so it's your choice which you want to use.

But someone says I cannot run avast on it, is dat true ?

[i]The start menu button of the older Operating Systems is gone forever but there are lots of 3rd party applications/softwares that one can download
I don't like that of your if u get screenshort of any other kindly post
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by Nobody: 12:24am On Jan 11, 2013
Been using 8 for a while now, and I can honestly say I don't miss the Start Orb.
_
That said, I'm up here by 12.14am installing 8 on 3 different laptops. Meanwhile earlier on today (yesterday, then) I installed 1 for somebody. Sucks to be me, I know.
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by moonraker(m): 12:53am On Jan 11, 2013
Ifebazz:
I got an error msg
Error: 0xc004F074

Whats your windows version?? Its seems your running Windows 8 Pro WMC??
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by Ifebazz(m): 10:51am On Jan 11, 2013
@moonraker must be honest my Win8 version is Windows 8 Pro
Build 9200. So the WMC stuff is new on me. How do I know bro? Thanks.
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by Ifebazz(m): 10:55am On Jan 11, 2013
SimonAndal: Been using 8 for a while now, and I can honestly say I don't miss the Start Orb.
_
That said, I'm up here by 12.14am installing 8 on 3 different laptops. Meanwhile earlier on today (yesterday, then) I installed 1 for somebody. Sucks to be me, I know.
Hey since you've been running Win8 awhile now, how did you overcome that .Netframework 3.5 ish? Its getting me all worked up. Thanks
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by OPEYEMIAD(m): 2:51pm On Jan 11, 2013
Am still waiting for KMS activator website address or kindly send it to opeyemiademon@yahoo.com

Thanks a lot
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by Ifebazz(m): 8:17pm On Jan 11, 2013
@moonraker you rock! cheesy done! Now how do I conquer the .Net framework 3.5 issue? grin
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by moonraker(m): 8:28pm On Jan 11, 2013
Ifebazz: @moonraker you rock! cheesy done! Now how do I conquer the .Net framework 3.5 issue? grin

what issue are you having??

first download and install frm here

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=21
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by OPEYEMIAD(m): 8:31pm On Jan 11, 2013
Is the phone call to usa free
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by Nobody: 2:11am On Jan 12, 2013
moonraker:

I just bought a Toshiba Satellite C855 which came with windows 8. My problem with this machine is that it automatically start without pressing the power button whenever I open it.
How do I fix this problem?
Thanks
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by moonraker(m): 2:21am On Jan 12, 2013
zameen:
I just bought a Toshiba Satellite C855 which came with windows 8. My problem with this machine is that it automatically start without pressing the power button whenever I open it.
How do I fix this problem?
Thanks

You need to make sure that those options are changed to shutdown instead of the default setting of sleep

Re: Windows 8: The Thread by Nobody: 2:25am On Jan 12, 2013
moonraker:

Lemme check it out.
Thanks.
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by Ifebazz(m): 5:10am On Jan 12, 2013
@moonraker when I DISM it gets to 65.8% & stops. It also stops at 20% when I try to cleanup & restorehealth of image.
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by OPEYEMIAD(m): 9:28am On Jan 12, 2013
What about the KMS activator ?
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by Ifebazz(m): 6:36pm On Jan 12, 2013
I have been able to wait the RestoreHealth out! Yet the enablefeatures still hangs at 65.8%
What other tricks can I apply to fix this .Net Framework 3.5 ish? Somebody, Anybody!!
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by Nobody: 9:21am On Jan 13, 2013
Ifebazz:
Hey since you've been running Win8 awhile now, how did you overcome that .Netframework 3.5 ish? Its getting me all worked up. Thanks
_
Nothing. I followed the prompt and installed it, and it's all cool now.
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by Nobody: 9:44am On Jan 13, 2013
I just realised something now, although that's kinda late now as it's cost me some of my rep as the High Geek in my residence hall: WINDOWS 8 AND AMD ARE A MATCH MADE IN HELL!!!
Seriously. AMD processors Bleep UP Windows 8 like hell. Your graphics will deteriorate to the 9th levels of hell faster than you can say 'gay Bleep'.
So it turned out those 3 laptops I was upgrading were all AMDs and the owners came back to me the following day complaining of serious lag in graphics. Videos don't play well (not even SD), games lag like shit and in one's case, all his USB ports ceased their fucking functionality (although that one is a Compaq driver problem).
Now I haven't tried updating their graphics drivers (although I'm pretty sure the problem ain't from there), but I'll get back at y'all when I'm done. So in the meantime, if you're tryna upgrade an AMD machine, FUCKING DON'T!
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by Ifebazz(m): 9:57am On Jan 13, 2013
SimonAndal: I just realised something now, although that's kinda late now as it's cost me some of my rep as the High Geek in my residence hall: WINDOWS 8 AND AMD ARE A MATCH MADE IN HELL!!!
Seriously. AMD processors Bleep UP Windows 8 like hell. Your graphics will deteriorate to the 9th levels of hell faster than you can say 'gay Bleep'.
So it turned out those 3 laptops I was upgrading were all AMDs and the owners came back to me the following day complaining of serious lag in graphics. Videos don't play well (not even SD), games lag like shit and in one's case, all his USB ports ceased their fucking functionality (although that one is a Compaq driver problem).
Now I haven't tried updating their graphics drivers (although I'm pretty sure the problem ain't from there), but I'll get back at y'all when I'm done. So in the meantime, if you're tryna upgrade an AMD machine, FUCKING DON'T!
Wow! I guessed something like that might be true. Because this .net framework 3.5 ish seems so simple with some other machines (Intel based).
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by 4llerbuntu(m): 9:02pm On Jan 13, 2013
If thats true then thats Microsoft's fault

They developed the os for years. Its up to them to make it work with whats in the market. How can PROCESSORS be giving such issue. Its not like those are addons that AMD will be responsible to bring up, the processor is d computer. Did they not test on AMD processors during development?
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by moonraker(m): 2:34am On Jan 14, 2013
4llerbuntu: If thats true then thats Microsoft's fault

They developed the os for years. Its up to them to make it work with whats in the market. How can PROCESSORS be giving such issue. Its not like those are addons that AMD will be responsible to bring up, the processor is d computer. Did they not test on AMD processors during development?

Take note, Graphic Processors. And YES. AMD isn't ready in terms of drivers. Just like my hp envy 17 with switchable graphics. Its been what, How many months now?? since windows 8 came out?? and there isn't an official driver from AMD. Even with windows 7, the last driver was like December 2011.
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by mavtrevor(m): 4:02am On Jan 14, 2013
All the complaints here are the reasons why Microsoft releases updates all the time, Windows 8 isn't perfect yet, but i believe with time the updates will help to fix so many errors, just the other day i had a serious error from now where saying 'The Extended Attributes are Inconsistent' i almost formatted my PC, cos system restore didn't solve it for me, i felt it could be a malware attack since i use Windows defender, i installed Bitdefender scanned my PC in full and no malware or virus was detected...then i knew its an OS wahala. Well somehow i got it fixed.

A friend of mine just installed Windows 8 on his hp touchsmart tm2 and his PC heats up like its gonna burst in flames, it didn't happen while he was using Windows 7. Anyone got idea why its heating up that much?
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by Nobody: 4:06am On Jan 14, 2013
mavtrevor: All the complaints here are the reasons why Microsoft releases updates all the time, Windows 8 isn't perfect yet, but i believe with time the updates will help to fix so many errors, just the other day i had a serious error from now where saying 'The Extended Attributes are Inconsistent' i almost formatted my PC, cos system restore didn't solve it for me, i felt it could be a malware attack since i use Windows defender, i installed Bitdefender scanned my PC in full and no malware or virus was detected...then i knew its an OS wahala. Well somehow i got it fixed.

A friend of mine just installed Windows 8 on his hp touchsmart tm2 and his PC heats up like its gonna burst in flames, it didn't happen while he was using Windows 7. Anyone got idea why its heating up that much?
It is always good to read about the 'System Requirements' first before doing any Windows operating system installation.
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by moonraker(m): 7:18am On Jan 14, 2013
mavtrevor: All the complaints here are the reasons why Microsoft releases updates all the time, Windows 8 isn't perfect yet, but i believe with time the updates will help to fix so many errors, just the other day i had a serious error from now where saying 'The Extended Attributes are Inconsistent' i almost formatted my PC, cos system restore didn't solve it for me, i felt it could be a malware attack since i use Windows defender, i installed Bitdefender scanned my PC in full and no malware or virus was detected...then i knew its an OS wahala. Well somehow i got it fixed.

Check the system requirements of the laptop. Also I know that model very well. Its comes with an AMD processor and an Nvidia chip I guess. Trying cleaning the vents and fan with compressed

air..
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:17am On Jan 14, 2013
hmmn. This is really weird. this is what Linux used to be without drivers and what-not.
now u telling me even windows is suffering same? SMH.

i do not like the direction Microsoft is going. "Too big to fail" is not not true

meanwhile, i wonder whats wrong with this picture. grin wink wink wink

Re: Windows 8: The Thread by moonraker(m): 9:36am On Jan 14, 2013
4llerbuntu: hmmn. This is really weird. this is what Linux used to be without drivers and what-not.
now u telling me even windows is suffering same? SMH.

i do not like the direction Microsoft is going. "Too big to fail" is not not true

meanwhile, i wonder whats wrong with this picture. grin wink wink wink

stop trolling, thanks wink wink
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by Nobody: 9:58am On Jan 14, 2013
moonraker:

Sometimes, that dude talks shiits!
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by 4llerbuntu(m): 7:21am On Jan 15, 2013
moonraker:

for reals? tongue tongue hell no.

the computer section is the most boring section on NL. which decade did a topic here make front page?
when we were raising hell here, it used to be fun grin grin grin grin grin grin

flame away bruv, its healthy

all4naija: Sometimes, that dude talks shiits!

aaah, i see. hmmn.

well its good u said sometimes. i'd be heartbroken if it was all the time.

on the contrary, if we were to address that same sentence to you, we would have to remove the sometimes and just say :
4llerbuntu: that dude talks shiits!

i see u forgot to tell us how many times you clicked your mouse today
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by ciphoenix: 2:03pm On Jan 15, 2013
semid4lyfe:

The offline KMS activator I used initially activates Windows 8 for 6 months but you can run it again and again to re-activate your windows whenever it expires. . .but maybe before it expires, DAZ or some other genius would have come up with a permanent activator smiley Still want it?

Most 2013 antivures are compatibe with Windows 8. . .so it's your choice which you want to use.

The start menu button of the older Operating Systems is gone forever but there are lots of 3rd party applications/softwares that one can download and install that would give a start menu button with the functionality of the innate windows start menu button.

Most of these start-menu softwares are fully customizable and even give you the option of skipping the metro screen UI & booting to your desktop directly, deactivating metro 8 hot corners, deactivating sidebar etc Some are freeware while others have to be purchased but if you sabi road u go find your way. . . .u know na wink

Some of these start menu softwares are: Start8, Windows 8 Start Button, Pokki Start menu, Free Windows 8 Start Menu, Power8, Revel BringBack, StartMenu8, Start Menu X, ViStart, Win8 Start Button etc.

I use StartMenu8 (a freeware) and this is what my start menu looks like. . .

why is it looking upside down
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by semid4lyfe(m): 7:06pm On Jan 15, 2013
ciphoenix: why is it looking upside down

Bros, na so I take arrange (personalize) my desktop o. The taskbar is on the top corner so automatically the start button is there too while I have object dock with all my apps at the bottom of the screen.

Also, I don't keep anything on my desktop. I've had it like this since 2009. It's cool and different, don't you think?

See my screenshot

Re: Windows 8: The Thread by ciphoenix: 12:42pm On Jan 16, 2013
semid4lyfe:

Bros, na so I take arrange (personalize) my desktop o. The taskbar is on the top corner so automatically the start button is there too while I have object dock with all my apps at the bottom of the screen.

Also, I don't keep anything on my desktop. I've had it like this since 2009. It's cool and different, don't you think?

See my screenshot
me too, i keep my desktop empty(dell dock is there always), but the taskbar on top thing, just seems wierd smiley

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Simple Server: MTN Simple Server Download for Android & Code, Cheat for PC / How To Speedup Internet With Top 10 Public DNS Servers / Things To Consider Before Buying Laptop

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.