Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,241 members, 7,818,824 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:55 AM

Windows 8: The Thread - Computers (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Windows 8: The Thread (31473 Views)

Poll: Would you upgrade when windows 8 is available??

Yes: 100% (1 vote)
No: 0% (0 votes)
Maybe: 0% (0 votes)
I don't know: 0% (0 votes)
This poll has ended

How To Install Windows 8.1 In a System / Which Antivirus Is Best For Windows 8 / Windows 8 Computers To Go On Sale In October (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Windows 8: The Thread by moonraker(m): 9:31pm On Oct 19, 2012
Word 2013 Preview

Re: Windows 8: The Thread by moonraker(m): 9:33pm On Oct 19, 2012
shocked cheesy

Re: Windows 8: The Thread by samir101ng(m): 11:43am On Oct 22, 2012
@Moonraker,

Konnichiwa !!! grin grin

Am sold on Windows 8 and will take advantage of the $40 upgrade for my home desktop (Win Vista). Am sure other owners of Win XP & Vista will take advantage of the upgrade offer also. However, recent owners of Win 7 might hold off on the upgrade until all the bugs are worked out. My primary laptop is one of them. Better safe than sorry.
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by moonraker(m): 12:43pm On Oct 22, 2012
samir101ng: @Moonraker,

Konnichiwa !!! grin grin

Am sold on Windows 8 and will take advantage of the $40 upgrade for my home desktop (Win Vista). Am sure other owners of Win XP & Vista will take advantage of the upgrade offer also. However, recent owners of Win 7 might hold off on the upgrade until all the bugs are worked out. My primary laptop is one of them. Better safe than sorry.

hahahaha good one bro cheesy cheesy

btw you will not be disappointed!!!

i hv been using windows 8 since the early builds....

I am presently running the rtm build thanks to technet subscription..

The only issue i am having right now is switchable graphic drivers but that isnt MS fault...
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by annahussy(f): 9:01am On Oct 23, 2012
From here i get many information about windows 8 that the new version of windows operating system.It is very useful to knowing about windows 8. According to me windows 8 is not so good like windows 7.
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by samir101ng(m): 2:34pm On Oct 23, 2012
moonraker:

hahahaha good one bro cheesy cheesy

btw you will not be disappointed!!!

i hv been using windows 8 since the early builds....

I am presently running the rtm build thanks to technet subscription..

The only issue i am having right now is switchable graphic drivers but that isnt MS fault...

Arigatou Monnraker-san !!! cool cool

What was your experience like when upgrading to Windows 8 ? Did you do a clean installation or an upgrade from a previous version of windows ?? Like i said earlier, i have 2 systems which i want to upgrade to Windows 8 (XP & Vista Professional), but i want to keep my user files. Am not too disturbed about the user setting and programs but i have plenty media files which i want to keep when i upgrade. Any thoughts ??
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by samir101ng(m): 2:35pm On Oct 23, 2012
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by moonraker(m): 8:51pm On Oct 23, 2012
samir101ng:

What was your experience like when upgrading to Windows 8 ? Did you do a clean installation or an upgrade from a previous version of windows ?? Like i said earlier, i have 2 systems which i want to upgrade to Windows 8 (XP & Vista Professional), but i want to keep my user files. Am not too disturbed about the user setting and programs but i have plenty media files which i want to keep when i upgrade. Any thoughts ??

Good Question bro

I actually did two kinds of installation. Upgrade and clean.

now if you want to keep your files, settings etc, The upgrade path is your best bet. however, you can

only upgrade to windows 8 pro and you also have to start the installation from your present OS Installation.

Your files and settings will be stored in folder called windows.old

As much as i do recommend doing a clean install, Windows 8 does a pretty darn job on performance....
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by moonraker(m): 3:23am On Oct 26, 2012
Windows 8 launched today!!!

How many of you are upgrading??

If you have any questions, Do not hesitate to ask!!!

Thank You
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by tonardo(m): 5:36pm On Oct 26, 2012
denzel2009: You just know this is going to be rubbish based on their track record,

Windows 95 - Rubbish
Windows 98 - Good
Windows ME (Mistake Edition) - Rubbish
Windows XP - Good
Windows Vista - Rubbish
Windows 7 - Good
Windows 8 - Rubbish - who wants be smearing fingers on the screen?

don't know what to call you...
the world is moving.......stay there,.
by next year computer will be operated with the mind or eye sight.
look 4 iron man 3 and watch...

1 Like

Re: Windows 8: The Thread by moonraker(m): 3:42am On Oct 29, 2012
Alright!!!! A little update on the whole Windows 8 Brah haha!!!

So well as you all on from this thread, i have been running windows 8 since

its inception, even though i havent posted all my photos and findings here.

Anyways, on October 26th 2012, Windows 8 was officially available for download

from my base (Japan to be specific) at exactly 12am). Now seeing how stable it

was on my laptop, i decided to upgrade two other laptops at home using my technet

subscription. Everything went smoothly. i installed windows 8 pro on two computers

in 25minutes. I was in cloud nine cos well this is like one the fastest OS installations

i have done in a while (Well except for ubuntu).

Anyways, nothing happened. One of my laptops, an HP Envy 17 to be specific installed a driver

from windows update which made the screen go black. This laptop comes with switchable graphics which

has always been a problem even in windows 7. HP doesnt have a new driver for it and AMD isnt bothered to

even try to support it. So you spend like 1500+ on a laptop and you are expected to provide support for yourself??

I was losing my mind. So i calmed down for a while and then went to system recovery, went into safe mode and disabled

the two graphics adapters. Boot back into windows and Install Leschat modd drivers (Catalyst 12.9 i think).

It worked fine but putting the computer to sleep and then waking it up brings up only a black screen. still better than

nothing i guess...

Games run fine. tried crysis 2 and fifa 13 and its all good. however, i did try installing NFS Undercover but no show.

Compatibility mode doesnt work either... oh well... Thats it for now. Will fill you guys in on more updates and bugs as

they come!!!
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by moonraker(m): 12:40pm On Oct 29, 2012
Onw new feature i discovered today

Sync of settings and apps cross devices

using ur microsoft account. Means if you login into

computer using ur microsoft account, then your apps and settings

get transferred tooo. dont know about files yet but i guess thats

why you have sky drive, integrated into windowa 8. There is also an

app for Skype metro, screenies coming soon

samir101ng:

Heyy bro, did you get around installing windows 8??
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by samir101ng(m): 10:12am On Nov 05, 2012
moonraker: Heyy bro, did you get around installing windows 8??

Konichiwa-Moonraker-kun !!! grin grin

Sorry about the long silence. Sallah break & all. Am pleased to inform you that i have become an official Windows 8 Evangelist cool cool. I have officially converted over 5 people to the new Windows 8 Pro & all are happy and adapting to the new OS. After downloading the Windows 8 Upgrade Advisor and creating a bootable USB flash drive, i have been actively encouraging friends & family to join the bandwagon. Most are usually upgrades so installation was a breeze. Only had to do a clean install like twice. Usually do my installation while connected to the internet via WLAN or LAN so as to get the latest updates. So far so good. Really impressed with the responsiveness and clean look.

On the Metro interface, am pleased to say that everybody i have installed it on has had no difficulty adjusting to the new GUI. Yes, the METRO interface will change how you used to do things but that's the constant thing only in life "Change". All those whining & complaining i believe need to just give it a little more time to adjust.

Have also applied and received my free Windows Media Centre license keys. Talking about keys, i bought my Windows 8 Pro license key for N6355.56 using my GTB Naira Mastercard. Its that easy. So, what are you guys waiting for ?! If you have an original copy of Win XP/Vista/7 you can apply and buy the new Windows 8 Pro license for roughly the same amount i paid. Good luck !!!
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by moonraker(m): 1:08pm On Nov 05, 2012
samir101ng:

Konichiwa-Moonraker-kun !!! grin grin

Sorry about the long silence. Sallah break & all. Am pleased to inform you that i have become an official Windows 8 Evangelist cool cool. I have officially converted over 5 people to the new Windows 8 Pro & all are happy and adapting to the new OS. After downloading the Windows 8 Upgrade Advisor and creating a bootable USB flash drive, i have been actively encouraging friends & family to join the bandwagon. Most are usually upgrades so installation was a breeze. Only had to do a clean install like twice. Usually do my installation while connected to the internet via WLAN or LAN so as to get the latest updates. So far so good. Really impressed with the responsiveness and clean look.

On the Metro interface, am pleased to say that everybody i have installed it on has had no difficulty adjusting to the new GUI. Yes, the METRO interface will change how you used to do things but that's the constant thing only in life "Change". All those whining & complaining i believe need to just give it a little more time to adjust.

Have also applied and received my free Windows Media Centre license keys. Talking about keys, i bought my Windows 8 Pro license key for N6355.56 using my GTB Naira Mastercard. Its that easy. So, what are you guys waiting for ?! If you have an original copy of Win XP/Vista/7 you can apply and buy the new Windows 8 Pro license for roughly the same amount i paid. Good luck !!!

Fantastic!!!!

Good to here from you bro!!! Between you can download my app from the store free of charge ofcourse. its called twitpro..
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by Nobody: 8:33pm On Nov 05, 2012
Installed it on the Third laptop and am not regretting it one bit but sad part is am still lacking VS2012, creating Tiles ain't that stressful if you know C#

Re: Windows 8: The Thread by samir101ng(m): 2:14pm On Nov 06, 2012
Yeah !! Had to re-install AutoCAD 2012 & other software's for a friend when i upgraded his. He's an Architect and uses plenty of CAD, 3D Design and Engineering Software's. Windows 8 is still relatively new and will take some time before new drivers and program compatibility will be stable.

@Moonraker,

I have a net book (AsusVX6) with Nvidia Optimus on which i want to upgrade to Windows 8. However, am still skeptical to do so after hearing about your experience with the switchable graphics opn your system. Any thoughts ?! Arigatou in advance. grin grin
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by adrusa: 4:53pm On Nov 09, 2012
I have this windows 8 tab for sale. http://www.staples.com/Asus-TF600T-B1-GR-101-32GB-Tablet/product-nr_990338
I will prefer physical cash at pickup. I'm based in Ibadan and I can hand it over personally at University College Hospital Ibadan. It is new in carton unopened and I'm asking for $650

Re: Windows 8: The Thread by samir101ng(m): 6:06pm On Nov 09, 2012
" Windows 8 Installation Has Failed " cry cry

And with that statement, i finally met my first challenge installing Windows 8 on a system. Am trying to install Windows 8 Pro 64-Bit on an Asus VX6 Netbook with a Nvidia ION graphics card with Optimus. It has 6GB RAM & a 250GB HDD. Am using a bootable USB and DVD-ROM media to install but with no luck. Went to the Windows 8 forums and came across plenty people experiencing the same issues. It seems upgrading on some systems has a lot of issues from BIOS, Antivirus or security software, incompatible programs etc. Bottom line, am stuck and still researching on how to overcome this challenge. But the surprising thing is i installed the same media on a Sager NP3250 wtih+ a 1GB Nvidia GT520M graphics card with Optimus and no issues. It seems the upgrade installer is a little finicky on some systems. @Moonraker-chan, have you encountered any such issues before coz people are screaming bloody murder in the Microsoft forums.
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by Nobody: 9:39pm On Nov 09, 2012
Netbook is not supported for Windows 8 even if it installs no one will answer you at Microsoft, they want to sell the Tablet and not netbook
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by moonraker(m): 12:33pm On Nov 10, 2012
samir101ng: " Windows 8 Installation Has Failed " cry cry

And with that statement, i finally met my first challenge installing Windows 8 on a system. Am trying to install Windows 8 Pro 64-Bit on an Asus VX6 Netbook with a Nvidia ION graphics card with Optimus. It has 6GB RAM & a 250GB HDD. Am using a bootable USB and DVD-ROM media to install but with no luck. Went to the Windows 8 forums and came across plenty people experiencing the same issues. It seems upgrading on some systems has a lot of issues from BIOS, Antivirus or security software, incompatible programs etc. Bottom line, am stuck and still researching on how to overcome this challenge. But the surprising thing is i installed the same media on a Sager NP3250 wtih+ a 1GB Nvidia GT520M graphics card with Optimus and no issues. It seems the upgrade installer is a little finicky on some systems. @Moonraker-chan, have you encountered any such issues before coz people are screaming bloody murder in the Microsoft forums.

Oops, Sorry for my late respond Brother Samir...

Been in research mode for a while..

About the installation issue, you cant install that on a netbook.

Except you by some miracle get your hands on Windows 8 RT. Now even if

you did by some miracle again get your hands on the RT version, You will have

to contend with the resolution issue. For apps to work properly on windows 8

you need a minimum of at least 1386x800 i think. I am not aware of any netbook with

such a resolution.This is the issue with netbooks now. Planning on disposing my netbook

becos well when you use the windows 8 interface, there is no going back cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by moonraker(m): 12:34pm On Nov 27, 2012
All right, its been a while!!!

I finally cracked the code. I mean you can get any apps from the windows store paid for free!! grin grin

Damn!!!
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by lordwill(m): 6:21pm On Nov 28, 2012
denzel2009:

Why do you come online chat shyt everytime? If more than 25 million people bought ipad last year, does it make it sensible for everyone to enjoy touchscreen?

Have you seen anyone that solely depend on ipad without the conventional pc? For this OS to be deployed successfully, do you realize that you have to change your hardware which I don't intend doing?

Most companies are just embracing windows 7 and M$ is planning on releasing a new OS in 2012, does that make sense?

If you read the specs on windows 8 based systems then you'll know that all you said is crap. Windows 8 is not touchscreen based and can be operated on normal systems
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by lordwill(m): 6:23pm On Nov 28, 2012
olawalebabs: as for me, window vista is far better than window 7, recently, i try installing TV card on window 7 but it can't work on it i have to use vista to get through. Window 7 is more of graphic and nothing more.

If you think windows vista was anything but crap then you seriously need an upgrade! Even Bill Gates admitted vista was a flop!
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by xterra2(m): 10:57pm On Nov 28, 2012
moonraker: All right, its been a while!!!

I finally cracked the code. I mean you can get any apps from the windows store paid for free!! grin grin

Damn!!!

How ?
Please
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by Nobody: 11:04pm On Nov 28, 2012
^ what's the point cracking when you can just pay 2200 for it, besides an OS that lives on the Cloud, don't you think it will flag ur computer at one point, you cud get away with that on Windows7 because you can turn off Windows Update but Windows 8 is a different ball game.
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by Nobody: 12:46am On Nov 29, 2012
moonraker: Word 2013 Preview
Do you mean to say Microsoft Office 365? I still don't understand microsoft office 2013 meant for mac and the office 365 which is based on subscription though.
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by moonraker(m): 1:59am On Nov 29, 2012
pc guru: ^ what's the point cracking when you can just pay 2200 for it, besides an OS that lives on the Cloud, don't you think it will flag ur computer at one point, you cud get away with that on Windows7 because you can turn off Windows Update but Windows 8 is a different ball game.

Wrong!!!! PC Guru.

2200 for what exactly??

Listen, think of windows 8 as hmmm Windows phone 8 or a typical example would be the iphone or ios as a whole.

Now installing apps that are well, not authorized or maybe from cydia, you need to jailbreak your iphone and

then install another line of command. My exploit?? Well its simple. Every paid software from the windows store

gives you a trial period. Heres the sweet part. Download, install and then crack it locally. Boom!!!

I am presently running angry birds space full version!!!
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by adrusa: 2:03am On Nov 29, 2012
educate us
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by moonraker(m): 2:07am On Nov 29, 2012
all4naija: Do you mean to say Microsoft Office 365? I still don't understand microsoft office 2013 meant for mac and the office 365 which is based on subscription though.

Office 365 is ermmm a subscription based kinda office in the cloud. Office 2013 or Office 15 isnt available to the public yet.

Just technet and msdnna subscribers. It has gone RTM now and will be released soon. However, its been leaked to various torrent

sites. There is one problem though. Activation. In my case, i have activated two office 2013 suits using two different methods.

My technet subscription and KMS method.

Screen shor below showing a fully activated office 2013 suit.

Re: Windows 8: The Thread by moonraker(m): 2:49am On Nov 29, 2012
Apparently, There is a way of getting a free copy of windows 8 pro for a limited time!!!
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by Nobody: 2:50am On Nov 29, 2012
moonraker: Apparently, There is a way of getting a free copy of windows 8 pro for a limited time!!!

How?
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by Nobody: 2:51am On Nov 29, 2012
lol Moonraker, is that you?

PS: Your name is out there, buddy.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Simple Server: MTN Simple Server Download for Android & Code, Cheat for PC / How To Speedup Internet With Top 10 Public DNS Servers / Things To Consider Before Buying Laptop

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.