Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,841 members, 7,824,503 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 11:21 AM

Windows 8: The Thread - Computers (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Windows 8: The Thread (31502 Views)

Poll: Would you upgrade when windows 8 is available??

Yes: 100% (1 vote)
No: 0% (0 votes)
Maybe: 0% (0 votes)
I don't know: 0% (0 votes)
This poll has ended

How To Install Windows 8.1 In a System / Which Antivirus Is Best For Windows 8 / Windows 8 Computers To Go On Sale In October (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Windows 8: The Thread by tunnex190: 7:59am On Dec 18, 2012
Please Computer Geek, Is it safe now to install this new windows 8 on the laptop? I want to know if i will have some difficulties as a user if installed.
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by moonraker(m): 9:34am On Dec 18, 2012
tunnex190: Please Computer Geek, Is it safe now to install this new windows 8 on the laptop? I want to know if i will have some difficulties as a user if installed.

Whats your specs??
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by phiszo(m): 7:58pm On Dec 18, 2012
The Windows 8 installation i did makes ma system freeze sumtyms. Is it cuz of d ram? My system spec: 2gig ram, 2GHZ speed.
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by moonraker(m): 12:44am On Dec 19, 2012
phiszo: The Windows 8 installatation i did makes ma system freeze sumtyms. Is it cuz of d ram? My system spec: 2gig ram, 2GHZ speed.

The bolded is where your problem is. Upgrade to 4gb... I sincerely hope that ur not trying to install windows 8 on a netbook becos it will not work!!!
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by phiszo(m): 1:15am On Dec 19, 2012
moonraker:

The bolded is where your problem is. Upgrade to 4gb... I sincerely hope that ur not trying to install windows 8 on a netbook becos it will not work!!!
it's not a netbook. HP G60. Hw much does it cost to upgrade to 4GB?
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by moonraker(m): 1:31am On Dec 19, 2012
phiszo:
it's not a netbook. HP G60. Hw much does it cost to upgrade to 4GB?

I took a look at the HP G60 and according to the spec sheet on Hps website,

it states that your computer has a NVIDIA GeForce 8200M?? Is that correct??

It also states that your maximum upgrade for RAM is 3gb and not 4 as i earlier

stated. Is ur processor an AMD Turion X2 RM-70 Dual-Core Mobile Processor?

The way i see it, your computer got a lot of issues.

Lets see, have you tried clean installing?? Back up ur data and wipe your drive clean.

Then install windows 8??
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by phiszo(m): 5:41pm On Dec 19, 2012
moonraker:

I took a look at the HP G60 and according to the spec sheet on Hps website,

it states that your computer has a NVIDIA GeForce 8200M?? Is that correct??

It also states that your maximum upgrade for RAM is 3gb and not 4 as i earlier

stated. Is ur processor an AMD Turion X2 RM-70 Dual-Core Mobile Processor?

The way i see it, your computer got a lot of issues.

Lets see, have you tried clean installing?? Back up ur data and wipe your drive clean.

Then install windows 8??
D processor is pentium(R) dual core. I tink i'l do a clean installation. I don't really knw if it has NVIDIA GeForce 8200M whatz dat? Tnx.
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by moonraker(m): 12:50am On Dec 20, 2012
phiszo:
D processor is pentium(R) dual core. I tink i'l do a clean installation. I don't really knw if it has NVIDIA GeForce 8200M whatz dat? Tnx.

Hmmm the NVIDIA Geforce 8200M is your graphics chip. There are alot of things that can cause an OS to freeze.

Harddisk failing

Bad Motherboard

Lack of memory etc

Do a clean install first and see how that turns out....
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by tunnex190: 10:05am On Dec 20, 2012
moonraker:

Whats your specs??

The laptop is HP 6735s...2GB ram, processor AMD Sempron 2.10GHz,
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by moonraker(m): 10:47am On Dec 20, 2012
tunnex190:

The laptop is HP 6735s...2GB ram, processor AMD Sempron 2.10GHz,

Bros, NO. The processor is weak!!!
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by tunnex190: 6:05pm On Dec 20, 2012
moonraker:

Bros, NO. The processor is weak!!!

But what do you think i should do? What do you think i should do about the processor? I like this windows8 bro.
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by phiszo(m): 6:45pm On Dec 20, 2012
moonraker:

Hmmm the NVIDIA Geforce 8200M is your graphics chip. There are alot of things that can cause an OS to freeze.

Harddisk failing

Bad Motherboard

Lack of memory etc

Do a clean install first and see how that turns out....
i wil do dat wen i've backed up my files. Tnx.
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by moonraker(m): 12:34am On Dec 21, 2012
tunnex190:

But what do you think i should do? What do you think i should do about the processor? I like this windows8 bro.

Bros, there are two types of truth in this life. the real truth and the sugar coated truth. what i just told u now is the real

truth. You see the kernel in windows 8 is different from any other windows you have used in the past. Everything in windows 8 is

hardware dependent. if your hardware doesnt support it, then it just will not work!!! The way it is. The only thing you can do is

to buy a new computer??
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by tunnex190: 8:00am On Dec 21, 2012
thanks bro
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by henryskywalker2003(m): 10:30am On Dec 21, 2012
moonraker:

it's not a ram issue cos I currently have Windows 8 running on a HP dx7400 desktop with a Pentium D processor and 1gb ram and it's quite snappy. Maybe what you need is a clean install and probably use a different disk to do that.
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by moonraker(m): 5:53am On Dec 22, 2012
henryskywalker2003:

it's not a ram issue cos I currently have Windows 8 running on a HP dx7400 desktop with a Pentium D processor and 1gb ram and it's quite snappy. Maybe what you need is a clean install and probably use a different disk to do that.

cheesy ok whatever you say then. I bet on my IT certs that you had to disable alot of services to make it work in the first place. Or ur definition of snappy is seriously flawed!!!!!
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by henryskywalker2003(m): 3:22pm On Dec 24, 2012
Lol. Then get ready to lose your certs cos what I have here is a vanilla install, 0% tweaking of any kind. As for my idea of snappy being flawed, well lets just say that my main laptop is fast enough for me to run 12 Cisco 2600 routers on GNS and Win XP in a VM all at once, and I can still be doing one or two other things without any lag. So, when I say something is snappy, it just snappy. My only issue with the Win 8 install on this test desktop is that the I don't really experience the super fast boot I get on better systems. But once it's up and running (takes between 30- 35 secs to boot to the desktop), everything else is fast.
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by henryskywalker2003(m): 3:27pm On Dec 24, 2012
Then again, another possible reason for the lag in his system could be due to drivers not being installed. Cos I remember that after installing mine, I had to download and install the VGA and Ethernet card drivers, Intel and Broadcom respectively. After which I noticed an improvement in the speed.

Note: this is not to say that it wasn't that fast before installing. Just that I have a big monitor and the resolution was off and I needed to get the right resolution.
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by semid4lyfe(m): 8:41pm On Dec 25, 2012
@ Moonraker & henryskywalker2003, can I comfortably install and use Windows 8 on my system without any issues?

It's a HP Pavilion dv6899ei Special Edition laptop. It originally came with Vista Home Premium but I've since removed it, installed Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 and have been using it without any issues but now I wanna install Windows 8 Enterprise (already downloaded)

Here are the detailed specs of my system:

# Windows 7 Ultimate SP1(32-bit)
# Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T550 (1.83 GHz)
# 2048MB DDR2 SDRAM (2 Dimm)
# nVidia GeForce 8400M GS with 256MB DDR dedicated graphics memory

Also what's the maximum RAM upgrade for my system?

I've read the requirements for Windows 8 installation and ordinarily I should have no issues with it on my system but I wanna hear your firsthand experiences before going for it

Lest, I forget. . .is there an easy full proof activation for Windows 8? Cos the Windows 8 Enterprise I downloaded is not pre-activated and still needs to be activated but the activation methods/Windows 8 activators I've seen online in Warez sites are either too elaborate or don't seem genuine.

(NB: I INSTALLED WINDOWS 8 TRANSFORMATION PACK ON MY SYSTEM BRIEFLY TO GIVE ME A FEEL OF WINDOWS 8 AND I LOVED IT SO I WANNA INSTALL THE FULL OS NOW)

Holla. . . . .

Re: Windows 8: The Thread by Nobody: 9:12pm On Dec 25, 2012
^^^

Yes, you can!

Check this link http://all4naija..com/2012/11/how-to-install-windows-8-pro-on-pc.html out for more information. It is my personal blog. Maybe you might find something useful about installing Windows 8 on your system from it.
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by henryskywalker2003(m): 4:27pm On Dec 26, 2012
semid4lyfe: @ Moonraker & henryskywalker2003, can I comfortably install and use Windows 8 on my system without any issues?

It's a HP Pavilion dv6899ei Special Edition laptop. It originally came with Vista Home Premium but I've since removed it, installed Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 and have been using it without any issues but now I wanna install Windows 8 Enterprise (already downloaded)

I've read the requirements for Windows 8 installation and ordinarily I should have no issues with it on my system but I wanna hear your firsthand experiences before going for it

Lest, I forget. . .is there an easy full proof activation for Windows 8? Cos the Windows 8 Enterprise I downloaded is not pre-activated and still needs to be activated but the activation methods/Windows 8 activators I've seen online in Warez sites are either too elaborate or don't seem genuine.

(NB: I INSTALLED WINDOWS 8 TRANSFORMATION PACK ON MY SYSTEM BRIEFLY TO GIVE ME A FEEL OF WINDOWS 8 AND I LOVED IT SO I WANNA INSTALL THE FULL OS NOW)

Holla. . . . .

Yes you can, but before you do make sure you downloaded all the necessary drivers for your hardware and keep them at hand just in case. I ran into a similar problem when installing mine. Found out that the Broadcom Ethernet card that worked out of the box when I installed Windows 7 didn't work with Windows 8, same goes for the Intel VGA (The resolution was very off). Another thing, don't assume you'll like Windows 8 just because you installed a transformation pack. A transformation pack is nothing more than a theme when you really get down to it. So, be prepared to discover that there are lots of things you might miss from Windows 7 and a whole bunch of new stuff added.
As for the activators, am pretty sure you'll find one in the same site you downloaded your copy of Windows 8.
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by Nobody: 1:23pm On Dec 28, 2012
So I installed Windows 8 on my lappy, documenting the process here: https://www.nairaland.com/1140296/upgrade-windows-8/
I had a li'l bit o' problem with my touchpad, which resolved itself (at least I hope it did). Now I'm 'rocking' the new OS. I love shiny new things...up until they get boring. That's my reason for upgrading from 7: it got boring. So here's to hoping 8 lasts as long as 7 did.
Who buys apps nowadays?
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by moonraker(m): 4:44pm On Dec 28, 2012
semid4lyfe: @ Moonraker & henryskywalker2003, can I comfortably install and use Windows 8 on my system without any issues?

Holla. . . . .

Hey Bro Semi,

sorry for getting back to you this late. although I can see that abled persons have some worth answered your questions.

Lets talk Windows 8 Activation!!!!

Now when Microsoft first released windows 8, activation confirmed by Microsoft servers could be achieved by simply

activating via KMS (Key Management Service software) and then requesting a Windows media center key from Microsoft via

their website, thereby activating your version of windows!!! This loophole according to a source from MS was a way to

get peeps using the new OS... As of right now, that loophole has been blocked

Now what are the remaining way available to activate windows 8 you might ask

well the first option is to buy the software

The second option is to find a MAK key (Multiple activation key) if you find a working one, you can erm activate!!

Third option is to use KMS. Requires you to rearm after 180 days

So there you go abt the activation saga!!!

As for system requirements, Bros cheesy cheesy, You system will run windows 8, no doubt.... whether or not it runs well will be

be determined by you lipsrsealed
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by moonraker(m): 4:45pm On Dec 28, 2012
SimonAndal: So I installed Windows 8 on my lappy, documenting the process here: https://www.nairaland.com/1140296/upgrade-windows-8/
I had a li'l bit o' problem with my touchpad, which resolved itself (at least I hope it did). Now I'm 'rocking' the new OS. I love shiny new things...up until they get boring. That's my reason for upgrading from 7: it got boring. So here's to hoping 8 lasts as long as 7 did.
Who buys apps nowadays?

I don't!!!

Btw nice thread you got there!!!
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by moonraker(m): 4:49pm On Dec 28, 2012
henryskywalker2003: Lol. Then get ready to lose your certs cos what I have here is a vanilla install, 0% tweaking of any kind. As for my idea of snappy being flawed, well lets just say that my main laptop is fast enough for me to run 12 Cisco 2600 routers on GNS and Win XP in a VM all at once, and I can still be doing one or two other things without any lag. So, when I say something is snappy, it just snappy. My only issue with the Win 8 install on this test desktop is that the I don't really experience the super fast boot I get on better systems. But once it's up and running (takes between 30- 35 secs to boot to the desktop), everything else is fast.

Cisco routers cheesy cheesy cheesy

Dude, Even a netbook can run those equipment you mention... try something else!!!
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by DAvIt0(m): 5:09pm On Dec 28, 2012
@moonraker what about upgrading an OEM Preinstalled W8 to W8 Pro do i need activator?
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by moonraker(m): 5:13pm On Dec 28, 2012
DAvIt0: @moonraker what about upgrading an OEM Preinstalled W8 to W8 Pro do i need activator?

If your W8 Pro came with a valid key, they yes, you can activate!!! If not, you will need an activator

1 Like

Re: Windows 8: The Thread by semid4lyfe(m): 6:52am On Dec 29, 2012
henryskywalker2003:

Yes you can, but before you do make sure you downloaded all the necessary drivers for your hardware and keep them at hand just in case. I ran into a similar problem when installing mine. Found out that the Broadcom Ethernet card that worked out of the box when I installed Windows 7 didn't work with Windows 8, same goes for the Intel VGA (The resolution was very off).

Another thing, don't assume you'll like Windows 8 just because you installed a transformation pack. A transformation pack is nothing more than a theme when you really get down to it. So, be prepared to discover that there are lots of things you might miss from Windows 7 and a whole bunch of new stuff added.

As for the activators, am pretty sure you'll find one in the same site you downloaded your copy of Windows 8.

Ok, thanks. As it is, I have all my drivers ready. You're right about the transformation pack too.

Also, I've downloaded about 5 or 6 different activators and the problem now is which do I use? undecided

moonraker:
well the first option is to buy the software

The second option is to find a MAK key (Multiple activation key) if you find a working one, you can erm activate!!

Third option is to use KMS. Requires you to rearm after 180 days

So there you go abt the activation saga!!!

Buying the software is out of it so how do I get a working MAK Key? And will the MAK key activate it permanently or is it also time limited?

I have the KMS activator already but it requires me going online . . .as in an internet connection with a working server & IP. Isn't there an offline permanent activator one can use and does that mean all other activators out there are fake?

I mean, looking through warez sites and the screenshots posted for the different Windows 8 activators, they all show "Windows is Activated" status BUT then I read somewhere that ONLY the KMS (180 days) activator REALLY activates Windows 8 as all the other activators just tend to change or replace some dll files in the system which falsely shows it to be activated. Na true?

KMS Activation Helper v1.5

Lastly which version of Windows 8 should I INSTALL? Windows 8 Enterprise or Windows 8 Pro? I wan install am tomorrow so make una reply fast o as I wan enter 2013 with Windows 8 by Fire by Force grin
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by Nobody: 9:59am On Dec 29, 2012
Search for KMSNano v9 on piratebay. Specifically the one uploaded by Murphy78
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by moonraker(m): 5:29pm On Dec 29, 2012
semid4lyfe:

Ok, thanks. As it is, I have all my drivers ready. You're right about the transformation pack too.

Also, I've downloaded about 5 or 6 different activators and the problem now is which do I use? undecided

Buying the software is out of it so how do I get a working MAK Key? And will the MAK key activate it permanently or is it also time limited?

I have the KMS activator already but it requires me going online . . .as in an internet connection with a working server & IP. Isn't there an offline permanent activator one can use and does that mean all other activators out there are fake?

I mean, looking through warez sites and the screenshots posted for the different Windows 8 activators, they all show "Windows is Activated" status BUT then I read somewhere that ONLY the KMS (180 days) activator REALLY activates Windows 8 as all the other activators just tend to change or replace some dll files in the system which falsely shows it to be activated. Na true?

KMS Activation Helper v1.5

Lastly which version of Windows 8 should I INSTALL? Windows 8 Enterprise or Windows 8 Pro? I wan install am tomorrow so make una reply fast o as I wan enter 2013 with Windows 8 by Fire by Force grin

Win 8 pro Please. Entreprise has lots of issues in terms of activation!!!
Re: Windows 8: The Thread by henryskywalker2003(m): 6:04pm On Dec 29, 2012
moonraker:

Cisco routers cheesy cheesy cheesy

Dude, Even a netbook can run those equipment you mention... try something else!!!

HAHAHAHAHA. Dude, maybe packet tracer, but am talking full blown cisco ios images here. Try GNS3 on a netbook with just 3 routers running ospf and let me see how fast the netbook will be.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Simple Server: MTN Simple Server Download for Android & Code, Cheat for PC / How To Speedup Internet With Top 10 Public DNS Servers / Things To Consider Before Buying Laptop

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.