Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,649 members, 7,813,187 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:23 AM

Abia State Is Now The Least Revenue Generating State In The South - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abia State Is Now The Least Revenue Generating State In The South (2124 Views)

What's Your Take On State Generating Their Electricity / Nigerian Government Moves To Sell Power Generating Companies, Invites Bids / Aba: Generating Billions, Groaning Under Infrastructural Decay (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abia State Is Now The Least Revenue Generating State In The South by kettykin: 12:11pm On Nov 09, 2021
Abia state is now offilially the least revenue generating state in the South. Abia is now ranking with Northern states

what could be the issue.
1. Sit at home and disruption of business ecosystem
2. lack of capacity of the present Government
3. Hangover from military and police siege leading to relocation of businesses
4. Corruption by the present Abia Regime and ineptitude to evolve to a digital state

Please lets discuss

Re: Abia State Is Now The Least Revenue Generating State In The South by nrexzy: 12:16pm On Nov 09, 2021
Bad road

1 Like

Re: Abia State Is Now The Least Revenue Generating State In The South by longetivity(m): 12:34pm On Nov 09, 2021
What do u expect from the kerosene Governor

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abia State Is Now The Least Revenue Generating State In The South by DOTian: 12:39pm On Nov 09, 2021
Tax collection is a factor that comes with a given government tax policy! People should be mindful of this fact.
Some states or countries believe in tax and spend. Others allow capitalists within their enclaves to hold more funds in order to plough such back into their businesses and grow more wealth and employment. People need to understand this.

Abia state, Anambra state and Rivers States, are some of the most viable states in the East without oil revenue. So if the state governments decide to place less emphasis on stringent tax collection, one should ask about the motives behind such policy. Rather than running along with the narrative that Abia state is not viable.
Aba alone generates more income for businesses than half of southern states..

8 Likes

Re: Abia State Is Now The Least Revenue Generating State In The South by mrvitalis(m): 12:45pm On Nov 09, 2021
DOTian:
Tax collection is a factor that comes with a given government tax policy! People should be mindful of this fact.
Some states or countries believe in tax and spend. Others allow capitalists within their enclaves to hold more funds in order to plough such back into their businesses and grow more wealth and employment. People need to understand this.
Abia state, Anambra state and Rivers States, are some of the most viable states in the East without oil revenue. So if the state governments decide to place less emphasis on stringent tax collection, one should ask about the motives behind such policy. Rather than running along with the narrative that Abia state is not viable.
Don't shout it na ...allow them wallow in their ignorance na

I wonder why people with high igr are not championing going back to regional government make breeze blow

8 Likes

Re: Abia State Is Now The Least Revenue Generating State In The South by PaChukwudi44(m): 12:46pm On Nov 09, 2021
So Ekiti State is no longer southern Nigeria?

3 Likes

Re: Abia State Is Now The Least Revenue Generating State In The South by Slavishbenin: 1:00pm On Nov 09, 2021
DOTian:
[s] Tax collection is a factor that comes with a given government tax policy! People should be mindful of this fact.

Aba alone generates more income for businesses than half of southern states[/s] ..
Anambra and Rivers are billion times better than Abia. Abia is a failure in all aspect and you definitely know this.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abia State Is Now The Least Revenue Generating State In The South by johnmartus(m): 1:03pm On Nov 09, 2021
Like I said I will rather be a civil servant in lagos than commissioner in Abia state.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abia State Is Now The Least Revenue Generating State In The South by johnmartus(m): 1:08pm On Nov 09, 2021
Anyone follow this thing argue not serious sense is not really common in fact in your own case the same guy was calling federal government to stop giving lagos monthly allocation in the name of envy .federal government can stop it but in one condition that special autonomy must be granted and federal government must stop collecting tax in lagos.
DOTian:

1 Like

Re: Abia State Is Now The Least Revenue Generating State In The South by LegendHero(m): 1:13pm On Nov 09, 2021
kettykin:
Abia state is now offilially the least revenue generating state in the South. Abia is now ranking with Northern states

what could be the issue.
4. Corruption by the present Abia Regime and ineptitude to evolve to a digital state

Please lets discuss

This is the first step you can take to know the reason.

Pull this same IGR data for previous years and try to compare. Check which sector of IGR generation fell drastically and that will be the first step to investigate further the reason why.

Is it PAYE that reduce drastically or Road tax? If one of these, what are the factors that could be responsible for that? Then now compare to your issue statement you wrote up there and then do your conclusion.

4 Likes

Re: Abia State Is Now The Least Revenue Generating State In The South by Solsix(m): 1:19pm On Nov 09, 2021
This information covers which period OP??
Re: Abia State Is Now The Least Revenue Generating State In The South by DOTian: 1:20pm On Nov 09, 2021
johnmartus:
Anyone follow this thing argue not serious sense is not really common in fact in your own case the same guy was calling federal government to stop giving lagos monthly allocation in the name of envy .federal government can stop it but in one condition that special autonomy must be granted and federal government must stop collecting tax in lagos.
I can't see the contradiction..
I just told you how tax policies lead to direct increases in tax incomes and how taax politicies can also lead to exponential increase in greater capitalists investments... How does that effect my stand in the other thread?

1 Like

Re: Abia State Is Now The Least Revenue Generating State In The South by Penguin2: 1:22pm On Nov 09, 2021
kettykin:

what could be the issue.

Please lets discuss

Check your own table...

In the period under review, Abia generated 7.5billion.

Ekiti on the other hand generated about 6.5billion. That’s 1billion less of Abia.

But you chose to ignore Ekiti and tackle Abia while it is actually Ekiti that is now struggling in the same position with northern states.

See how hatred has blurred your vision.

Who do you this thing?

4 Likes

Re: Abia State Is Now The Least Revenue Generating State In The South by Penguin2: 1:24pm On Nov 09, 2021
DOTian:

Ignore the guy.

Look at the table.

Abia has grand total of 7.5billion IGR while Ekiti has 6.5billion but he chose to close his eyes on Ekiti and spew trash about Abia.

4 Likes

Re: Abia State Is Now The Least Revenue Generating State In The South by DOTian: 1:26pm On Nov 09, 2021
Penguin2:

Ignore the guy.

Look at the table.

Abia has grand total of 7.5billion IGR while Ekiti has 6.5billion but he chose to close his eyes on Ekiti and spew trash about Abia.
That guy is unbelievable..

2 Likes

Re: Abia State Is Now The Least Revenue Generating State In The South by Sonyboom765: 1:27pm On Nov 09, 2021
Re: Abia State Is Now The Least Revenue Generating State In The South by LegendHero(m): 1:30pm On Nov 09, 2021
DOTian:

I can't see the contradiction..
I just told you how tax policies lead to direct increases in tax incomes and how taax politicies can also lead to exponential increase in greater capitalists investments... How does that effect my stand in the other thread?

The problem here is that you are an educated illiterate who doesn’t even understand the chart the guy uploaded.

If you check that chart, you will see that PAYE constitute over 75-80% of taxes generated by each state and that tax is deducted directly from source. So your argument of Abia government not wanting to tax people does not apply here because employers automatically deduct that amount from source.

Go online and read more of PAYE and what it means and how it is generated.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abia State Is Now The Least Revenue Generating State In The South by Penguin2: 1:33pm On Nov 09, 2021
DOTian:

That guy is unbelievable..

He’s not unbelievable, he’s just daft.

4 Likes

Re: Abia State Is Now The Least Revenue Generating State In The South by Penguin2: 1:35pm On Nov 09, 2021
LegendHero:

The problem here is that you are an illiterate who doesn’t even understand the chart the guy uploaded.

If you check that chart, you will see that PAYE constitute over 75-80% of taxes generated by each state and that tax is deducted directly from source. So your argument of Abia government not wanting to tax people does not apply here because employers automatically deduct that amount from source.

But have you looked at that chart to see that Ekiti, and not Abia, is the least IGR grossing state in the entire south?

1 Like

Re: Abia State Is Now The Least Revenue Generating State In The South by LegendHero(m): 1:41pm On Nov 09, 2021
Penguin2:

But have you looked at that chart to see that Ekiti, and not Abia, is the least IGR grossing state in the entire south?

Ekiti is also a state not living up to expectation and I am not surprised by the figure coz it has always been the least revenue generating state in the SW. Now it has now reduced more to being one of the lowest in the South only above Bayelsa from that chart.

However, I am not here to argue about states itself but just pointing out the thinking of the dotian guy that said Abia IGR is that low because the government don’t proposely tax the residents.

So I told him PAYE is the biggest source of taxes for all those states as you can see that it is over 80% of the taxes in most of those states. This PAYE is deducted from source by the employers and they pay you the net salary at the end of the month after taxes removed. So the argument that government is not purposely taxing his people do not arise here.

Do you get the drift of my argument?

7 Likes

Re: Abia State Is Now The Least Revenue Generating State In The South by Penguin2: 1:49pm On Nov 09, 2021
LegendHero:

Ekiti is also a state not living up to expectation and I am not surprised by the figure coz it has always been the least revenue generating state in the SW. Now it has now reduced more to being one of the lowest in the South only above Bayelsa from that chart.

However, I am not here to argue about states itself but just pointing out the thinking of the dotian guy that said Abia IGR is that low because the government don’t proposely tax the residents.

So I told him PAYE is the biggest source of taxes for all those states as you can see that it is over 80% of the taxes in most of those states. This PAYE is deducted from source by the employers and they pay you the net salary at the end of the month after taxes removed. So the argument that government is not purposely taxing his people do not arise here.

Do you get the drift of my argument?

I do get your argument. But he’s right to a great extent too.

Check high IGR grossing states like Lagos and you will see that while PAYE does constitute greater percentage of their entire IGR, other Taxes take large chunk too.

You know why? Because the tax attitude in Lagos is higher than the tax attitude elsewhere.

Let’s take Abia for instance. The market in Aba is big enough to give the state a high IGR if it block leakages and change its attitude to tax.

If we were to compare two entrepreneurs doing business in Lagos and Abia, you would realize that the person in Lagos pays way higher than the person in Abia.

That’s what Dotian was trying to draw your attention to.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abia State Is Now The Least Revenue Generating State In The South by adamsmith914: 1:53pm On Nov 09, 2021
Penguin2:

Shameless Ipobians, no wonder Abia is the home of ipob? Poor wretched State.

1 Like

Re: Abia State Is Now The Least Revenue Generating State In The South by DOTian: 1:56pm On Nov 09, 2021
LegendHero:

The problem here is that you are an educated illiterate who doesn’t even understand the chart the guy uploaded.

Erudite scholar,
What's the plank of your argument?
That Abia state with Aba as one of the biggest industrial hubs in Nigeria and with all the export oriented activities at ariria market and co, is far less economically viable than say gombe, osun and ekiti state? Is that the point an "educated illiterate" like me needs to see?
Are you wishing this to be the case out of crude hate or is this really the case based on facts?

4 Likes

Re: Abia State Is Now The Least Revenue Generating State In The South by Penguin2: 2:00pm On Nov 09, 2021
adamsmith914:

I know your antic.

All the insults you consistently rain on me is so I can insult you back so you will report my moniker and get me banned.

But I will urge you to be more reasonable while talking to me because that you looking for, you will never get from me.

Se gbo?

Ese!

3 Likes

Re: Abia State Is Now The Least Revenue Generating State In The South by LegendHero(m): 2:02pm On Nov 09, 2021
Penguin2:

I do get your argument. But he’s right to a great extent too.

Check high IGR grossing states like Lagos and you will see that while PAYE does constitute greater percentage of their entire IGR, other Taxes take large chunk too.

You know why? Because the tax attitude in Lagos is higher than the tax attitude elsewhere.

Let’s take Abia for instance. The market in Aba is big enough to give the state a high IGR if it block leakages and change its attitude to tax.

If we were to compare two entrepreneurs doing business in Lagos and Abia, you would realize that the person in Lagos pays way higher than the person in Abia.

That’s what Dotian was trying to draw your attention to.

Dotian argument is the usual hogwash that dosent hold much value when you subject it to superior logic.

When they mention taxes, you people mention markets complexes, do you think market complexes is what gives states the high revenues?

Do you know that what one single company pay in taxes is bigger than what the whole market in Aba might pay? Let’s take Dangote refinery for example, when that refinery gets completed, the taxes it will pay to Lagos alone will dwarf a lot of other paid from most markets across Lagos and etc.

You can’t base a state glory on buying and selling markets alone (especially things you don’t produce yourself), you need industries, companies, attract businesses that will employ people which will inturn increase prosperity for your people.

Mind you most state cannot tax market efficiently and not only in Abia. In Nigeria, the northern states are even the actual states that don’t tax their non formal sector and not SE. If we are to apply dotian argument, then we will say the reason why the North have such low figure is that they don’t tax their citizens so they might actually be the richest states in Nigeria.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abia State Is Now The Least Revenue Generating State In The South by Kinematics: 2:44pm On Nov 09, 2021
DOTian:

Rivers State is not in the east. Be careful..

3 Likes

Re: Abia State Is Now The Least Revenue Generating State In The South by SonOfEl(m): 4:57am On Nov 10, 2021
Slavishbenin:

Anambra and Rivers are billion times better than Abia. Abia is a failure in all aspect and you definitely know this.

Always opining with bitterness and prejudice. Is your state better than Abia state?

Can you even intepret the data OP posted accurately?

1 Like

Re: Abia State Is Now The Least Revenue Generating State In The South by SonOfEl(m): 5:00am On Nov 10, 2021
adamsmith914:

Why does Abia give you nightmares? What state are you from?

1 Like

Re: Abia State Is Now The Least Revenue Generating State In The South by SonOfEl(m): 6:07am On Nov 10, 2021
kettykin:

what could be the issue.

Please lets discuss

Sheer misrepresentation of Abia State.

This is dubiously misleading.

No statement of year of collation

Bad statistical inference.

This is another Abia-bashing thread. When you are a big tree, all matter of animals will gather around you.

Kettykin who from Abia state broke your heart?

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

*BREAKING: Bandits Strike In Kebbi, Brutal Deaths Recorded [PHOTOS]* / Igbos Should Not See 2023 As Do Or Die, Can Be President Later: Northern Elders / Late Chief Obafemi Awolowo's Grand Son, Seyi Awolowo Is Obidient

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.