Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,891 members, 7,841,333 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 07:42 AM

The Hypocrisy Of Holding Unto Tradition When It Suits You - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / The Hypocrisy Of Holding Unto Tradition When It Suits You (651 Views)

If A Girl Can Cheat On Us With Big Guns, Who Are You That Wears Suits - Soldier / Holding Unto His Lips / The Hypocrisy Of Nigerian Men (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Hypocrisy Of Holding Unto Tradition When It Suits You by Nobody: 11:58am On Nov 10, 2021
I came across this thread on front-page https://www.nairaland.com/6842578/it-wrong-cook-married-brothers
and I have to ask, why are we hypocritical about holding on to some traditions and discarding others?
I couldn't care less about the whole matter on the thread cause wetin go carry me go dey live for my married brother's house I no wan see am. Me sef cherish my privacy.

I created this thread because of the people who were buttressing their point with the claim "it's against tradition", "it's wrong cause the woman commands the kitchen", some even linked it to religion without any evidence. But my bone of contention about the matter is that, these same tradition that puts the brother-in-law down in some aspects also elevates him in others. But these people will not adhere to that part.

For example, in the Yoruba culture, no matter how young your husband's siblings are, you have to address them as "uncle" and "aunty". Modern women don't want to do that. During large events by the extended family, these same wives will refuse to take part in cooking and cleaning as they are not "maids", or worst of all, the eldest wife (who is also a modern woman when it pays her) in the house will be controlling the younger wives—which is another tradition these women want to hold unto. But the ones that are more of "duties" than "rights" should be discarded and revolutionized yet the ones that elevate you and make you powerful like the Commander-in-Chief of the kitchen, you will like to keep that one.

This hypocrisy manifests itself in several aspects of our society today. Especially amongst the millennials. They choose parts of the culture that favours them and discard others. They adopt the "western way" when it pays them and choose to destabilise culture,yet, when culture favours them, they start forming Pan-Africanism. Take a look at Nigerian feminists and redpillers. Conservative on Monday, when it favours them. Adherent of one stupid ideology when culture doesn't favour them anymore on Wednesday.

Choose one side. You can't have your cake and eat it as well.
Re: The Hypocrisy Of Holding Unto Tradition When It Suits You by Juliusmomoh: 12:01pm On Nov 10, 2021
I need assistance now.
Re: The Hypocrisy Of Holding Unto Tradition When It Suits You by Sonnobax15(m): 12:02pm On Nov 10, 2021
Juliusmomoh:
I need assistance now.
Bro waxup cheesy
Re: The Hypocrisy Of Holding Unto Tradition When It Suits You by Juliusmomoh: 12:03pm On Nov 10, 2021
Sonnobax15:
Bro waxup cheesy
Just lost my dear uncle this morning...
Re: The Hypocrisy Of Holding Unto Tradition When It Suits You by Nobody: 12:05pm On Nov 10, 2021
Kindly stop derailing this thread

Juliusmomoh:

Sorry to hear that.
Re: The Hypocrisy Of Holding Unto Tradition When It Suits You by Sonnobax15(m): 12:05pm On Nov 10, 2021
Juliusmomoh:

. Jesusssss!!!! shocked. How? How did it happen? sad
Re: The Hypocrisy Of Holding Unto Tradition When It Suits You by Juliusmomoh: 12:06pm On Nov 10, 2021
Tadeknkeepcalm:

Sorry to hear that.
Thank you
Re: The Hypocrisy Of Holding Unto Tradition When It Suits You by Sonnobax15(m): 12:06pm On Nov 10, 2021
Tadeknkeepcalm:
Kindly stop derailing this thread

Sorry to hear that.
Someone just lost his dear one and you're here talking about derailing one mumu thread undecided.
Re: The Hypocrisy Of Holding Unto Tradition When It Suits You by Sonnobax15(m): 12:07pm On Nov 10, 2021
Juliusmomoh:

Thank you
Any ways,take heart bro..It's definitely gonna be well, ok sad
Re: The Hypocrisy Of Holding Unto Tradition When It Suits You by Juliusmomoh: 12:10pm On Nov 10, 2021
Sonnobax15:
. Jesusssss!!!! shocked. How? How did it happen? sad

He dead a careless death though...

I will keep say this... Marriage is not for everybody...

His wife killed him..

I don't have strenght to type now oga obax
Re: The Hypocrisy Of Holding Unto Tradition When It Suits You by Sonnobax15(m): 12:12pm On Nov 10, 2021
Juliusmomoh:

He dead a careless death though...

I will keep say this... Marriage is not for everybody...

His wife killed him..

I don't have strenght to type now oga obax
No probs bro... Just stay strong ok.......
Re: The Hypocrisy Of Holding Unto Tradition When It Suits You by Juliusmomoh: 12:12pm On Nov 10, 2021
Sonnobax15:
Any ways,take heart bro..It's definitely gonna be well, ok sad

Thanks sonnobax15 for your wonderful motivation...

God bless
Re: The Hypocrisy Of Holding Unto Tradition When It Suits You by Sonnobax15(m): 12:13pm On Nov 10, 2021
Juliusmomoh:

Thanks sonnobax15 for your wonderful motivation...

God bless
come on,what are friends for bro cheesy
Re: The Hypocrisy Of Holding Unto Tradition When It Suits You by suffering: 12:39pm On Nov 10, 2021
A non-hypocritical human being is a corpse. Know this and know peace.

1 Like

Re: The Hypocrisy Of Holding Unto Tradition When It Suits You by Hayee(f): 2:14pm On Nov 10, 2021
Toor tongue tongue tongue
Dear op the earlier you realise that humans are naturally hypocritical, judgemental and deceptive betrayers the better cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

The earlier you begin to have the mindset that you are in this world alone and nobody cares about you the better you begin to live the live of real peace of mind grin grin grin cheesy

Anyways it doesn't stop the fact that men are addicted to gold diggers cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin
Re: The Hypocrisy Of Holding Unto Tradition When It Suits You by Opeyemiextra(f): 2:19pm On Nov 10, 2021
No one is completely clear of biases and all. We all hold them in different situations and degrees and that's what makes us human.
Re: The Hypocrisy Of Holding Unto Tradition When It Suits You by Hintona(f): 3:34pm On Nov 10, 2021
Nairaland redpillers are experts on this.
Re: The Hypocrisy Of Holding Unto Tradition When It Suits You by lkillbrokehoes: 4:11pm On Nov 10, 2021
Hintona:
Nairaland redpillers are experts on this.
Siofra kiddo, is that the reason why you are so obsessed with Thegidredpiller?
Re: The Hypocrisy Of Holding Unto Tradition When It Suits You by GoldenJAT(m): 4:33pm On Nov 10, 2021
Na wetin go Favour us, we suppose do na!
Re: The Hypocrisy Of Holding Unto Tradition When It Suits You by Mrsimini(m): 9:11pm On Nov 10, 2021
Life is full of hypocrisy bro. Me I see it as imperfections

(1) (Reply)

Why Is Black Race So Backward Despite That God Created White/Black The Same Day? / What Would Be Your Number 1 Rule? / I Deserve Fish Head

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.