Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,114 members, 7,818,323 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:40 PM

Why I Pushed For Direct Primaries ― Gbajabiamila - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why I Pushed For Direct Primaries ― Gbajabiamila (15987 Views)

Hope Uzodinma Pushed For Lawan As APC Consensus Candidate - Lukman / Apc’s Direct Primaries: Buhari Intervenes To Stop Anti-oshiomhole Rebellion / More Senators Threaten To Dump APC Because Of Direct Primaries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Pushed For Direct Primaries ― Gbajabiamila by lalasticlala(m): 5:28pm On Nov 11, 2021
The Speaker of the House of Representatives, Hon Femi Gbajabiamila on Thursday explained why he called for the adoption of direct primaries as the only method through which political parties should elect candidates to stand for elections in the newly passed Electoral Bill, 2021.

The Speaker said direct primaries would bring more accountability and adequate representation as political office holders would not be restricted to pleasing a group of few people selected as delegates, but would work for the interest of the generality of their party members, and by extension, the electorate.

Besides, Gbajabiamila said he observed that many Nigerians, especially the youths, want to participate fully in the election of those that would represent them right from the grassroots level, hence his resolve to champion direct primaries.

The Speaker, while hosting a delegation of the Nigerian youths on a thank-you visit for his role on direct primaries led by the Minister of Youth and Sports Development, Mr Sunday Dare, said he preferred a situation where the political space is opened for all, including the youths, to participate fully.

This is even as Nigerian youths thanked the Speaker for single-handedly moving for the amendment in the Electoral Act to have direct primaries as the only method of electing parties’ candidates.

Gbajabiamila said some members of the political class may not be comfortable with the arrangement, but that the majority of the masses are in support of direct primaries, which he said would give them the opportunity of deciding who would represent them.

Advancing some of the reasons, Gbajabiamila said: “If I know that my return will depend on some few men, I may care about you. But if I know that my return will depend on my accountability and representation to the people, I will do the right thing.

“It is important for this generation to open the door of leadership to the next generation. We must allow every Nigerian to participate fully in the process of leadership. I, therefore, stand with Direct Primary.

“That’s why I said at different fora that I’m for direct primaries. We have to do this for the sake of the institution.

“When you gather yourselves (as youths), chances are that you’ll win. Democracy is a government of the people. Democracy is not just a general election. It starts from the primaries.”

The Speaker, therefore, challenged the Nigerian youths to “take advantage of the new amendment,” saying “power is not served a la carte.

“I’ll ask that you carry that advocacy out there because it’s for you.”

He noted that the youths are part of the reasons why lawmakers exist, saying, “The youths are the greatest asset of any nation, not just in Nigeria.”

He said Nigerian youths are thriving in different spheres of life, but that when it comes to politics, they do not show much interest.

“Since the Not Too Young to Run became law, you’ve not taken advantage of that. The Act appears to be a paper tiger. The enabling environment to work for that Act isn’t capitalised on.”

https://tribuneonlineng.com/electoral-bill-why-i-pushed-for-direct-primaries-%e2%80%95-gbajabiamila/

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Pushed For Direct Primaries ― Gbajabiamila by JosephXavier: 5:30pm On Nov 11, 2021
What will be our headache now is getting Buhari to sign this piece of legislation into law

It's is really commendable

Since I saw some prominent politicians wailing especially those of APC, that I knew that this is the right step in the right direction

In case you don't understand what this means

Before, some political office holders will meat in hotel rooms and pick a candidate of their choice

Then if day breaks, they will now announce to us that the party has voted the person to run for a post

Such was the type that produced Andy Uba of Anambra state where he polled over 230k votes but couldn't get up to 45k in the actual election

Direct primaries will be like normal election where registered members will queue up in a line to Vite for the choice candidate after which the Vite will be counted and a winner declared

46 Likes

Re: Why I Pushed For Direct Primaries ― Gbajabiamila by Aufbauh(m): 5:30pm On Nov 11, 2021
Direct primary is the way to go as it afford the people the opportunity to elect people oriented leaders among them.

Party primary is the bedrock for good and quality leadership in governance.

6 Likes

Re: Why I Pushed For Direct Primaries ― Gbajabiamila by INTEGRITYA1(m): 5:30pm On Nov 11, 2021
Okay.

Do you know that Lekki (In Lagos Island) was formerly known as ILEKE.

The town was formerly known as ILEKE by the local people until the arrival of the Portuguese Trader called Mr. Lecqi.

People referred to the area where Lecqi was living by his name. So the local people will say to each other that; they are going to Lekki's place and eventually, everywhere became known as Lekki.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why I Pushed For Direct Primaries ― Gbajabiamila by ThanModa: 5:31pm On Nov 11, 2021
The worst Cabinet in the history of this country

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why I Pushed For Direct Primaries ― Gbajabiamila by Haryoureendey4(m): 5:31pm On Nov 11, 2021
DM on Whatsapp

1 Share

Re: Why I Pushed For Direct Primaries ― Gbajabiamila by kingphilip(m): 5:31pm On Nov 11, 2021
The one rigging will do the people who rigged the figure strong thing

Just like what happened in Anambra where a candidate scored over 200,000 in the primaries but couldn't muster as much as a quarter of same during the proper election where everyone is expected to vote.

Inasmuch as it something great in that unlike in Indirect primaries where delegates are known and can be coerced to vote for someone already loved by others with intimidation or cash, if not properly utilized, the end result might not be different from what is presently obtainable.

2 Likes

Re: Why I Pushed For Direct Primaries ― Gbajabiamila by money121(m): 5:33pm On Nov 11, 2021
Ok
Re: Why I Pushed For Direct Primaries ― Gbajabiamila by sojayy(m): 5:33pm On Nov 11, 2021
A polithiefcians can never take sides without an interest.. angry.......Na God go take control of we country. shocked

3 Likes

Re: Why I Pushed For Direct Primaries ― Gbajabiamila by chloride6: 5:34pm On Nov 11, 2021
Maybe Sanwo Eko wants to mess you up.

grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Why I Pushed For Direct Primaries ― Gbajabiamila by ENIGMATIC2023(m): 5:34pm On Nov 11, 2021
I support direct primaries too. Delegates are sellouts.

4 Likes

Re: Why I Pushed For Direct Primaries ― Gbajabiamila by Nobody: 5:34pm On Nov 11, 2021
Kalndo:
So we should fry sand?

Yes. And you will be the cynic to EAT it!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Pushed For Direct Primaries ― Gbajabiamila by Patrioticman007(m): 5:34pm On Nov 11, 2021
Good that Nigeria is moving forward

1 Like

Re: Why I Pushed For Direct Primaries ― Gbajabiamila by liasmiram2567: 5:35pm On Nov 11, 2021
Good! There wont be"Baba so pe" No more handpicking

2 Likes

Re: Why I Pushed For Direct Primaries ― Gbajabiamila by GodIsBiafran: 5:35pm On Nov 11, 2021
cool cool cool
Re: Why I Pushed For Direct Primaries ― Gbajabiamila by MRDEE01: 5:35pm On Nov 11, 2021
ok
Re: Why I Pushed For Direct Primaries ― Gbajabiamila by Fefomad: 5:35pm On Nov 11, 2021
Thunder faya you
Thunder faya Tinubu
Thunder faya Buhari

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Pushed For Direct Primaries ― Gbajabiamila by Lovenorth: 5:35pm On Nov 11, 2021
Our party APC is the best in Africa

1 Like

Re: Why I Pushed For Direct Primaries ― Gbajabiamila by Maxymilliano(m): 5:35pm On Nov 11, 2021
Lol ... We know how Akinwummi Ambode was pushed out of the system with Baba sope direct primaries

9 Likes

Re: Why I Pushed For Direct Primaries ― Gbajabiamila by Gondonu: 5:35pm On Nov 11, 2021
Is that the good governance your government woefully failed to provide?

1 Like

Re: Why I Pushed For Direct Primaries ― Gbajabiamila by Raul00: 5:36pm On Nov 11, 2021
Ok
Re: Why I Pushed For Direct Primaries ― Gbajabiamila by SamuelLoch: 5:37pm On Nov 11, 2021
Kalndo:
So we should fry sand?

Because you want to appear on the first page, you have to dish out nonsense... What's the direct primaries he pushed for? I know you don't know it.
2023 is getting closer, start getting the necessary info now. Thank you

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I Pushed For Direct Primaries ― Gbajabiamila by Nobody: 5:37pm On Nov 11, 2021
Fefomad:
Thunder faya you
Thunder faya Tinubu
Thunder faya Buhari

Imagine if you were God for just a fraction of a second. You wouldn't allow rain to fall on your enemies even in the height of the rainy season nor would you allow the sun to dry their sheaves in the dry season. Such a creature who wants to play God! What if I should say, "Lightning fire him" to you?

5 Likes

Re: Why I Pushed For Direct Primaries ― Gbajabiamila by Ballack1(m): 5:37pm On Nov 11, 2021
You cannot force your wish on other political parties..Many direct primaries that were conducted of recent were manipulated as well
Re: Why I Pushed For Direct Primaries ― Gbajabiamila by Boogyman557: 5:37pm On Nov 11, 2021
HOLLY GRAM cool REAL MATTERS. WTF MAN
Re: Why I Pushed For Direct Primaries ― Gbajabiamila by ZubyLighter1: 5:38pm On Nov 11, 2021
Even with this proposal, it doesn't stop Jagaban of Lagos from removing you from seat anytime u don't try to give him his return and not the people of Lagos u represent. This is just an APC agenda imposing on others. It has never worked even in your useless Party.q
Re: Why I Pushed For Direct Primaries ― Gbajabiamila by nihinlade(m): 5:39pm On Nov 11, 2021
I am beginning to like this man. He repaired many roads in his constituency and provided street lights everywhere. He went as far as repairing roads in Mushin. He donates to public causes and he is sensible and sincere in reasoning.

9 Likes

Re: Why I Pushed For Direct Primaries ― Gbajabiamila by adamsmith914: 5:42pm On Nov 11, 2021
ZubyLighter1:
Even with this proposal, it doesn't stop Jagaban of Lagos from removing you from seat anytime u don't try to give him his return and not the people of Lagos u represent. This is just an APC agenda imposing on others. It has never worked even in your useless Party.q
Wailer yet it was your fellow youths that went to his office to thank him? You won’t go & join them in the politics, you will be here doing Humpty Dumpty?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Senator Uba Sani Declares To Run For Governor Of Kaduna State / PDP Senate Caucus To APC: Leave Saraki Out Of Your Jostle For Senate Presidency / Danbaba Suntai Pilot Not Certified To Fly Aircraft – AIB Report

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.