Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,231 members, 7,829,413 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:24 AM

Let Me Gist You About My New Job In Canada - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Let Me Gist You About My New Job In Canada (9873 Views)

My New Year Visit To Osun-osogbo Sacred Grove / See What Happened When I Moved To My New Environment (pics) / My New Lagos - Ibadan Train Trip To Abeokuta (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Let Me Gist You About My New Job In Canada by ModestGal(f): 6:34pm On Nov 12, 2021
So I got a customer care job in a health company paying$15, but before getting the job, I already contacted some bakery job agencies. And two weeks in they called me for a job at bakery. The bakery pays $18. Stupid me left my customer care job, rushed to$18 bakery job, it's a 12hours job.
In this new job, we work straight for hours without breaks, omoh, this thing wan kill me.

Now the gist

Omoh, after working for 3hours, e be like say I don dey see heaven. No breaks or rests in between. When one man(African but white in colour) see say I wan die, he con whistle for my hear say, make I say I wan go use rest room.
Immediately,I quickly ran to meet the woman in charge say, I wan pee
She granted me permission,and I went to pee

After I rest finish,I came back,after 15min, the woman beside me (Chinese), asked if I wanted WATER, and I should go and drink. To cut it short,most of them were giving me excuses to rest,and I don't know why everyone there seems so nice, Maybe bcx they were seeing death in my eyes

Now the KOKO
The Koko be say, the women we work together,told me they don't like going for washroom breaks because it's too far and they will need to climb stairs,and prefer to wait till we close from work.
So for my mind, I'm like, shee this one think say, na pee I go pee,lol
I con ask them,are they tired, they said they are not, smiling
Now, when we were going home,one of them said tomorrow is her birthday,lol. Ask me how old is she? My brothers and sisters, she's turning 65years old, she's CHINESE.
Na like that them dey say their ages, most of them are above 50yrs. I Kon dey wonder if na steel dey their body, because I no understand. I'm usually tired after 1hour of working, seriously tired o, no be shereshere tired. And funny part is I'm fit,not fat
Some of Theseus women are fat o, but the Asians grandma's are slim

Let me go back to work please
I will gist you guys later

Update
The purpose of this post is to make you guys laugh, I was trying my comedy talent if d thing go blow me, but I guess I'm not talented in this area, I finally give up, so no more gist for you guys
Also for those sending me hi on WhatsApp,in as much as I want friendship, I want meaningful ones, bring your ideas that can benefit us both, I'm willing to invest in it, and we move. But sending hi to me, and asking me silly questions, imma block you, sorry. I love you all

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Let Me Gist You About My New Job In Canada by uchaymart(m): 6:40pm On Nov 12, 2021
OP $15 per hour as salary suppose motivate you oo. Malo go oo. Naija don stiff oo. Things hard die

$15 * 12= $180 per day shocked

$180 * 20days=$3,600
$3,600 * #530===#1,908,000 shocked

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Let Me Gist You About My New Job In Canada by Davash222(m): 6:50pm On Nov 12, 2021
uchaymart:
OP $15 per hour as salary suppose motivate you oo. Malo go oo. Naija don stiff oo. Things hard die

$180 * 20days=$3,600
Oshe, Ogbomosho financial analyst

74 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Let Me Gist You About My New Job In Canada by Amotolongbo(f): 7:05pm On Nov 12, 2021
uchaymart:

$180 * 20days=$3,600
That is a Canadian dollars. Not US dollars.

It should be multiplied by #424, Not #530

Funny how Nigerians act when they hear the amount one collects outside Nigeria as wage/salary. Next thing for them is to convert it straight away to Naira as if the salary/wage is spent in Naira

That is how working in a factory has always been.
The amazing and interesting thing is that you see men and women in their 60s and 70s still actively working there simply because they have been used to the work and can’t stay away from working even after retirement.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Let Me Gist You About My New Job In Canada by sageb: 9:26pm On Nov 12, 2021
ModestGal:
So I got a customer care job in a health company paying$15, but before getting the job, I already contacted some bakery job agencies. And two weeks in they called me for a job at bakery. The bakery pays $18. Stupid me left my customer care job, rushed to$18 bakery job, it's a 12hours job.
In this new job, we work straight for hours without breaks, omoh, this thing wan kill me.

Now the gist

Omoh, after working for 3hours, e be like say I don dey see heaven. No breaks or rests in between. When one man(African but white in colour) see say I wan die, he con whistle for my hear say, make I say I wan go use rest room.

After I rest finish,I came back,after 15min, the woman beside me (Chinese), asked if I wanted WATER, and I should go and drink. To cut it short,most of them were giving me excuses to rest,and I don't know why everyone there seems so nice

Now the KOKO
The Koko be say, the women we work together,told me they don't like going for washroom breaks because it's too far and they will need to climb stairs,and prefer to wait till we close from work.
Now, when we were going home,one of them said tomorrow is her birthday,lol. Ask me how old is she? My brothers and sisters, she's turning 65years old, she's CHINESE.
Na like that them dey say their ages, most of them are above 50yrs. I Kon dey wonder if na steel dey their body, because I no understand. I'm usually tired after 1hour of working, seriously tired o, no be shereshere tired. And funny part is I'm fit,not fat

please come back and drop the full gist
following your story
Re: Let Me Gist You About My New Job In Canada by AgentGoat: 9:41pm On Nov 12, 2021
Davash222:

grin grin grin
Re: Let Me Gist You About My New Job In Canada by ModestGal(f): 10:31pm On Nov 12, 2021
Davash222:

Lol, this is the part I miss being in Nigeria. Abi make I come back?
Re: Let Me Gist You About My New Job In Canada by Nobody: 10:41pm On Nov 12, 2021
Omo I fear factory work like . cause E hard and noise of machine too fit block ear . another thing be say me dey somehow lazy on a low.

1 Like

Re: Let Me Gist You About My New Job In Canada by FiverrTutor(m): 10:44pm On Nov 12, 2021
uchaymart:

$180 * 20days=$3,600

Bro that $3600 is chicken change in Canada.... Stop acting like a slowpoke.... Will she be working in Canada and spending her money in Nigeria

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Let Me Gist You About My New Job In Canada by ednut1(m): 10:54pm On Nov 12, 2021
uchaymart:

$180 * 20days=$3,600
it doesn’t work that way.. It’s usually 4 times a week. After all said and done na 2400 go be net pay. Rent is 700 to 800 for a room, bus pass is 150 a month, phone bill 70 dols, feeding 300 dols, eating out or ordering food lets say 100. Other bills still fit show. The op bleeped up lol. Anything factory na die. Go back to customer service

25 Likes

Re: Let Me Gist You About My New Job In Canada by ednut1(m): 10:56pm On Nov 12, 2021
Differentiate:

Justwise rule number 3 broken.
na question i ask. You said i was doing cocaine grin
Re: Let Me Gist You About My New Job In Canada by Nobody: 11:01pm On Nov 12, 2021
ednut1:
na question i ask. You said i was doing cocaine grin
You don't need to be scared bro I know you doing it .don't worry I won't call the police grin just help me teach that op how you do it so she won't kill herself with factory work...

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Let Me Gist You About My New Job In Canada by cooooooks(m): 2:04am On Nov 13, 2021
Nne, with customer care job, you could move on to bank teller o. Or office manager.

Baker na Baker. No advancement.
ModestGal:

Now the gist

After I rest finish,I came back,after 15min, the woman beside me (Chinese), asked if I wanted WATER, and I should go and drink. To cut it short,most of them were giving me excuses to rest,and I don't know why everyone there seems so nice

Now the KOKO

6 Likes

Re: Let Me Gist You About My New Job In Canada by cooooooks(m): 2:13am On Nov 13, 2021
3600 is not "chicken change" in Canada o. Make una relax.

Typical breakdown could be:

Gross pay: $3600

After tax: $2885 depending on the province.
(https://ca.talent.com/tax-calculator?salary=3600&from=month&region=Ontario)

Rent: $400 to $900
Food/groceries: $300 to $600
Transport: $200 for bus and occasional Uber. $600 if she has a car.
Remittance: $500
Total expenses (no car): $1400 to $2200
After expenses: $1485 to $685

Other possible expenses are tuition & subscription services like Netflix.
FiverrTutor:

Bro that $3600 is chicken change in Canada.... Stop acting like a slowpoke.... Will she be working in Canada and spending her money in Nigeria

7 Likes

Re: Let Me Gist You About My New Job In Canada by ModestGal(f): 3:31am On Nov 13, 2021
cooooooks:

Lol
Re: Let Me Gist You About My New Job In Canada by ModestGal(f): 3:31am On Nov 13, 2021
cooooooks:
Nne, with customer care job, you could move on to bank teller o. Or office manager.

As in ehn, I fuckup big-time
Re: Let Me Gist You About My New Job In Canada by Majesticniyi(m): 5:25am On Nov 13, 2021
Op, if you hear bakery work in Canada...run grin.

I have a million things I really would have liked to type, maybe I'd modify this post later but this one thing I'd say now, don't get sucked into the survival job mentality here. Go back to school please! Research on courses that are viable and key in without wasting time. There are hidden treasure courses that would catapult you to living the good life if you discover them, please do due diligence and find a way to start as soon as possible. Just my two cents sha...and btw, there are other places in Canada asides Ontario (I won't want people to attack me, so I wouldn't go deep with this)

15 Likes

Re: Let Me Gist You About My New Job In Canada by wilcox(m): 7:40am On Nov 13, 2021
Majesticniyi:

I have a million things I really would have liked to type, maybe I'd modify this post later but this one thing I'd say now, don't get sucked into the survival job mentality here. Go back to school please! Research on courses that are viable and key in without wasting time. There are hidden treasure courses that would catapult you to living the good life if you discover them, please do due diligence and find a way to start as soon as possible. Just my two cents sha...and btw, there are other places in Canada asides Ontario (I won't want people to attack me, so I wouldn't go deep with this)
Brilliant advice, you just spoke my mind.

12 Likes

Re: Let Me Gist You About My New Job In Canada by FiverrTutor(m): 7:53am On Nov 13, 2021
ModestGal:

Lol

My angel Abeg laugh am well well
Re: Let Me Gist You About My New Job In Canada by sageb: 9:24am On Nov 13, 2021
cooooooks:

Good morning sir, when is your school Recruiting( the one at Baker's palace Avenue, Abuloma Road)?
introduce me to that pastor at Bonny street.
Re: Let Me Gist You About My New Job In Canada by ModestGal(f): 11:47am On Nov 13, 2021
wilcox:

Brilliant advice, you just spoke my mind.
What course do you have in mind?
Re: Let Me Gist You About My New Job In Canada by ModestGal(f): 11:48am On Nov 13, 2021
Majesticniyi:

Great advice
What course do you have in mind?
Re: Let Me Gist You About My New Job In Canada by cooooooks(m): 12:43pm On Nov 13, 2021
Ah ah, that's a lot of info. The school is recruiting an Academic Coordinator now. At a salary impasse. If you have more candidates (academically sound in Eng/Math/Science, computer literate, I'm happy to set up their interviews.

sageb:

Good morning sir, when is your school Recruiting( the one at Baker's palace Avenue, Abuloma Road)?
introduce me to that pastor at Bonny street.
Re: Let Me Gist You About My New Job In Canada by temielects(m): 1:36pm On Nov 13, 2021
ModestGal:

if you try ahm... Hummm
Re: Let Me Gist You About My New Job In Canada by James4bright(m): 2:31pm On Nov 13, 2021
cooooooks:

With a 35% income tax, be calming down bro. It's chicken change.

1 Like

Re: Let Me Gist You About My New Job In Canada by Chiden(f): 2:32pm On Nov 13, 2021
To travel abroad now don dey hungry me.. I don too suffer

1 Like

Re: Let Me Gist You About My New Job In Canada by cooooooks(m): 4:13pm On Nov 13, 2021
The big tax reduced the money from 3600 to 2885 already. That was a 20% income tax. Not 35%.

Learn before you speak o.

James4bright:

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Let Me Gist You About My New Job In Canada by Originalsly: 4:16pm On Nov 13, 2021
James4bright:

How much should she accept as starting salary? Most new immigrants begin at the bottom .... "chicken change" jobs. The money she works for is not chicken change to the average worker. What is different is the amount of hours she has to put in to make that amount.
@ topic ... whatever job you do... make the best of it... there is much to learn that may benefit you later in life. On switching jobs ... don't let the money be your only guide ... as in this case... more money but harsh working conditions. Be mindful of the job history you're creating ... it can affect your chances in future employment opportunities.

17 Likes

Re: Let Me Gist You About My New Job In Canada by Teslason(m): 7:55pm On Nov 13, 2021
That age choke?

Re: Let Me Gist You About My New Job In Canada by Mcslize: 9:52pm On Nov 13, 2021
ModestGal:

Teslason:
That age choke?

Hmmm but you should have stayed put with the customer care job. No stress at all and you won't break your back like the bakery job.

$3 didn't make any big difference.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Terrible Accident Yesterday At Ogidi. (anambra State) / Scheduling Us Visa Appointment Date / How Much Does It Cost To Travel Fr lagos to jos By Road

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.