Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,460 members, 7,830,290 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:15 PM

VAT War Between FG, Rivers State Affects Bauchi Budget Proposal - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / VAT War Between FG, Rivers State Affects Bauchi Budget Proposal (22838 Views)

Meeting Between FG And Labour Ends In Deadlock / Bayelsa Drags FG, Rivers State & Akwa Ibom To Supreme Court Over Soku Oil Wells / Sanwo-Olu Presents Lagos State Budget Proposal Of 1.168 Trillion Naira for 2020 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: VAT War Between FG, Rivers State Affects Bauchi Budget Proposal by aribisala0(m): 4:06pm On Nov 14, 2021
backbencher:

1.Stop raising the food strawman, I think we have sorted that out.

2.VAT is charged on a lot of things like airtime and beer. And when the prices of those things go up because states are now free to charge VAT, you guys will complain well well.

3.VAT is charged on restaurant food...I recall a thread where someone pointed that out.

Again, I am not scaring anyone. I am not in government, I have no links to government. The idea of VAT for states appeals to me because I am a guy who thinks that we charge too little tax and states charging VAT makes me happy and satisfied. But the unintended consequences is what I am warning you guys about.

You are more inclined to emotion than analysis

The question is whether there will be an expansion of the VAT net . Yes or No?

Very simple question

Will anything not currently subject to VAT be included ? Yes or No?
Re: VAT War Between FG, Rivers State Affects Bauchi Budget Proposal by Nobody: 4:09pm On Nov 14, 2021
aribisala0:

[s]You are more inclined to emotion than analysi[/s]

The question is whether there will be an expansion of the VAT net . Yes or No?

Very simple question

Will anything not currently subject to VAT be included ? Yes or No?

1.Yes, there will be for the reason that states don't have enough money...and I even predict an increase in VAT at the state level.

2.Yes, things that are not VATABLE, would be made so because , again, see reason 1.(And if you don't think so, you really do trust our politicians. I don't). And it even satisfies true federalism (states now controlling vat would also, reasonably , control what they put under the VAT umbrella. )

VAT wasn't an issue 12 years ago, when oil was above $120. Now that oil has crashed below sustenance, it is an issue. States are looking for extra money, and they don';t want to take the obvious route of rasing taxes or expanding the income tax base to everyone...including rural dwellers, and farmers, and hawkers, and so forth.
Re: VAT War Between FG, Rivers State Affects Bauchi Budget Proposal by NiceMen: 4:17pm On Nov 14, 2021
Coldie:

Where una dae get dz lies from?

U are using those almajiris in the road or people from Niger republic masquerading as northerners as yardstick to say northerners are poor?

People that have been eating Nigerian money since 1970, apart from that north big men stay and live in their region thereby adding to its development as a result of their presence in the area, in the east once big man get money it’s either to relocate abroad or to go and base in Lagos or Abuja, an average northerner has farmland and livestock to his name, can same be said about the east?

There’s a difference between working hard and working smart say u use ur sweat and blood get money no mean say u rich o

Lmaooo...

I just realized I have been wasting my time.

Have a nice day chief.
Re: VAT War Between FG, Rivers State Affects Bauchi Budget Proposal by aribisala0(m): 4:26pm On Nov 14, 2021
backbencher:

1.Yes, there will be for the reason that states don't have enough money...and I even predict an increase in VAT at the state level.

2.Yes, things that are not VATABLE, would be made so because , again, see reason 1.(And if you don't think so, you really do trust our politicians. I don't). And it even satisfies true federalism (states now controlling vat would also, reasonably , control what they put under the VAT umbrella. )

VAT wasn't an issue 12 years ago, when oil was above $120. Now that oil has crashed below sustenance, it is an issue. States are looking for extra money, and they don';t want to take the obvious route of rasing taxes or expanding the income tax base to everyone...including rural dwellers, and farmers, and hawkers, and so forth.
You are just talking emotionally
You do not see the contradiction in your claim.

You say states are looking for money TRUE. That is not going to change regardless of what happens with VAT

If states are going to be able to tax the air we breathe they do not need VAT to do that
States can tax anything the constitution allows . WHY SHOULD THEY CALL IT VAT?

Clearly you are clueless

Who told you VAT was not an issue 12 years ago

When did Lagos state sue the FG over VAT
Re: VAT War Between FG, Rivers State Affects Bauchi Budget Proposal by Nobody: 4:27pm On Nov 14, 2021
aribisala0:

You are just talking emotionally
You do not see the contradiction in your claim.

You say states are looking for money TRUE. That is not going to change regardless of what happens with VAT

If states are going to be able to tax the air we breathe they do not need VAT to do that
States can tax anything the constitution allows . WHY SHOULD THEY CALL IT VAT?

Clearly you are clueless

Thank you for your time, and good evening.
Re: VAT War Between FG, Rivers State Affects Bauchi Budget Proposal by Inosky: 5:04pm On Nov 14, 2021
grin grin[quote author=AfonjaConehead post=107588879][/quote]

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: VAT War Between FG, Rivers State Affects Bauchi Budget Proposal by Coldie(m): 5:15pm On Nov 14, 2021
preciousmetals:
You need to go back to school
That’s your mantra na, no debate no nothing just plain old insult lol.

Nigeria top 10 richest Igbos no follow and u people are shouting we are the richest, the way it trickles down from dollar billionaires, that’s how it keeps trickling down all the way from even naira millionaires
Re: VAT War Between FG, Rivers State Affects Bauchi Budget Proposal by Coldie(m): 5:35pm On Nov 14, 2021
NiceMen:

Lmaooo...

I just realized I have been wasting my time.

Have a nice day chief.
I know na, at least the message has been passed across, no come here come lie
Re: VAT War Between FG, Rivers State Affects Bauchi Budget Proposal by Panda7(m): 3:07pm On Aug 08, 2022
Insecurity:

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2021/11/vat-war-between-fg-rivers-state-affected-our-budget-proposal-%e2%80%95-bauchi-govt/
does bauchi state produce oil? can't they focus mainly on grain production

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Ganduje: I’m Ready To Reconcile With Kwankwaso / Audu’s Inconclusive Death, Mugabe’s Wheelchair By Reuben Abati. / Borno Light-years Ahead In Agricultural Innovation, Despite Boko Haram

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.