Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,101 members, 7,859,997 topics. Date: Thursday, 13 June 2024 at 11:18 PM

Buba Marwa: Legalization Of Cannabis Will Take Nigeria To Dark Days - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buba Marwa: Legalization Of Cannabis Will Take Nigeria To Dark Days (14243 Views)

Buba Marwa And Tinubu Pose For Pictures During A Recent Meeting. / Buba Marwa Buries His Wife, Zainab In Imo (Photos) / President Buhari Appoints Buba Marwa As DG Of NDLEA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buba Marwa: Legalization Of Cannabis Will Take Nigeria To Dark Days by Nobody: 7:57am On Nov 19, 2021
Personally speaking am of two minds about this

1.Cannabis (this is my own opinion) appears to cause mental issues in many people who smoke it, and it appears to be pronounced in black people. So legalization may lead to more and more psych cases...overburdening our health sector.

2. On the other hand, legalizing cannabis= extra tax dollars/naira. Plus cannabis is not just used for smoking...it can be used to make a host of other products that are 'non addictive' (eg rope, haircare, etc)
Re: Buba Marwa: Legalization Of Cannabis Will Take Nigeria To Dark Days by yinkeys(m): 7:59am On Nov 19, 2021
You need a doctors prescription before using it. How about that, much better that way.
This stuff tremendously helps epileptic patients and others.
Re: Buba Marwa: Legalization Of Cannabis Will Take Nigeria To Dark Days by crossbreedwears(m): 8:00am On Nov 19, 2021
Oga sir, it is not by training but experience matters a lot. Please kindly go back and see what he did as a state governor during military regime. The fact he's he's ex soldier is an advantage for him in terms of coordinating his boys. His boys are doing fantastic job even though they still collect bribe
grandstar:

I am sure there are officials who have had training specifically for illegal drugs. Some would have had overseas training as well.

Each security agency deals with a specific problem and NDLEA is drugs. Buba Marwa is an ex-soldier.

What the country needs most is someone who can think outside the box. Simply arresting drug dealers isn't enough.
Re: Buba Marwa: Legalization Of Cannabis Will Take Nigeria To Dark Days by aribisala0(m): 8:02am On Nov 19, 2021
BluntTheApostle:

Which is why legalizing it will make it even worse.
Not logical
One could say it would do the exact opposite
You are just guessing and do not have ANY EVIDENCE for your claim any more than saying Germany will win the next World Cup

A GUESSS!!

How do I know well there is evidence from those countries that have done so
In some countries like the UK it is not legal but the police do not bother to prosecute
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6897013/Police-UK-given-green-light-let-cannabis-users-scot-free.html
In Nigeria the use of cannabis is so widespread that government does not have enough resource to prosecute all the offenders in court not to talk of prison space so legalizing cannabis will free up law enforcement resources to concentrate on other crimes
Bottomline it is a law that cannot be enforced already because there are no resources and ONLY POOR people are prosecuted. In fact I have never heard anyone going to prison for smoking weed in Nigeria. It is just an opportunity for police to chop
Re: Buba Marwa: Legalization Of Cannabis Will Take Nigeria To Dark Days by Nobody: 8:02am On Nov 19, 2021
Daveambition:
The aboki elites wil never legalise cannabis due to their religious belief..
Most of our leaders lack vision, wisdom & the insight to grow this country...
Imagine the medical & economical gain involve in cannabis legalization but some group of rebellious parasites wil not agree..
Zooyard country govern by Cavemen cankerworms, we already living in dark-age yu dumbfcuk..

A lot of Christians too are also opposed to weed and weed usage.

I am a Christian, and my first impressions on weed were gained from Christian leaders and clerics raging against drug abuse, and its effects. Even now, there are probably a majority of Christians who are against the usage of weed.

Also, Marwa is the head of the NDLEA...an organization that is made up of people who have seen firsthand the negative effects of weed. Expecting him to be in favor of weed legalization is like expecting the impossible.

Also, a lot of weed abuse takes part in the North, and a lot of Northerners have seen how damaging it can be. Excp[ecting them to back it is impossible. Same in the South too.

The thing is, legalizing weed is not an easy thing. Even alcohol and cigarettes that are legal...they also cause millions of naira/dollars in healthcare issues annually.Same for weed.
Re: Buba Marwa: Legalization Of Cannabis Will Take Nigeria To Dark Days by aribisala0(m): 8:03am On Nov 19, 2021
crossbreedwears:
Oga sir, it is not by training but experience matters a lot. Please kindly go back and see what he did as a state governor during military regime. The fact he's he's ex soldier is an advantage for him in terms of coordinating his boys. His boys are doing fantastic job even though they still collect bribe
What did he do as governor in Lagos State ? Tell us please

Kindly name ONE THING

Just one

We judge good job on the street

Is the supply of cocaine, crystal meth. tramadol and other hard drugs affected? No It is EVERYWHERE and getting worse
All those video arrests are a drop in the ocean

Many seized drugs end up on the street after being replaced with cassava flour
Re: Buba Marwa: Legalization Of Cannabis Will Take Nigeria To Dark Days by crossbreedwears(m): 8:07am On Nov 19, 2021
Go back and check yourself
aribisala0:
What did he do as governor in Lagos State ? Tell us please

Kindly name ONE THING

Just one
Re: Buba Marwa: Legalization Of Cannabis Will Take Nigeria To Dark Days by aribisala0(m): 8:10am On Nov 19, 2021
crossbreedwears:
Go back and check yourself
You have nothing to say. Those of us from Lagos State who were adults when he was there know he did nothing and could have done nothing because by training and orientation military men have nothing to offer and crucially he is not from Lagos State and only governed it from a military perspective.
When he was there IGR was 6 billion a year
With No single development project of note to his name
Re: Buba Marwa: Legalization Of Cannabis Will Take Nigeria To Dark Days by iamtardey: 8:11am On Nov 19, 2021
hypocrite
Re: Buba Marwa: Legalization Of Cannabis Will Take Nigeria To Dark Days by muheeb01(m): 8:11am On Nov 19, 2021
Cannabis is a very good leaf and serves a lot purposes medicinally and spiritually, they just need to regulate it's use to avoid abuse...legalizing it will serve as a great source of income,we should abadoned and stop this hypocritical nature already all in the name of religion or culture.whereas you're the highest consumer.we can do better and stop this pretense and holy holy nature in the open and doing something else behind
Re: Buba Marwa: Legalization Of Cannabis Will Take Nigeria To Dark Days by Cmeo(m): 8:14am On Nov 19, 2021
I think Cannabis should be legalized and govt should provide the variants to be planted, taken and those to be making it. Through this govt will be able to control the market, tax the market and control the quality intake of cannabis instead of all these back door abuse and economic activities around the thing.
Re: Buba Marwa: Legalization Of Cannabis Will Take Nigeria To Dark Days by HarunaWest(m): 8:17am On Nov 19, 2021
Quiny32323:
Poor minds, Netherlands that legalized it tee tee has the lowest crime rate in the world.
Choi choi choi...too much talk....Is Nigeria Netherlands? This same country where people are smoking paw paw leaf and sniffing gutter.
Re: Buba Marwa: Legalization Of Cannabis Will Take Nigeria To Dark Days by Jakumo(m): 8:18am On Nov 19, 2021
For anyone offering a purely economic argument in favor of crude petroleum oil's economic potential as opposed to that of extracted cannabis oil, let us look at the arithmetic of this comparison.

As a price benchmark, check the 1.05-minute mark of the below-linked youtube video clip delving into Lesotho's phenomenally lucrative cannabis legalization and commercial exploitation initiative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sG5bhO420I

In an interview that commences at that 1.05-minute mark, filmed during an official visit to a Lesotho industrial cannabis production factory, a government official quotes the prevailing wholesale price of extracted cannabis oil as lying in the range between $18 to $70 thousand dollars USD per liter. For the sake of this arithmetic discussion, I will assign a nominal $20K USD as the per liter price of extracted cannabis oil.

Nigeria's "Bonny Light" Crude oil, according to the Nigeria Central Bank website, currently wholesales for 64 US dollars per barrel, and that Nigeria currently exports about 1.6 million barrels of Bonny Light crude oil per day.

https://www.cbn.gov.ng/rates/crudeoil.asp

Wikipedia informs us that one unit "Oil Barrel" of crude petroleum oil is defined as being equivalent to 159 liters, by industry convention.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrel_(unit)#:~:text=In%20the%20oil%20industry%2C%20an,litres%2C%20or%2035%20imperial%20gallons.

Now, if one barrel of 159 liters volume Bonny Light crude oil sells for $64 USD, the price of crude petroleum oil is thus $64 per liter divided by 159 liters, which equals $0.402, which translates into 40 CENTS LER LITER, as the current price of Nigerian crude oil exports on the international market.

That same one liter of cannabis oil, conversely, sells for $20 thousand US greenback dollars. In other words, once the actual selling price of crude oil has been expressed as US dollars per liter, it becomes shockingly apparent that cannabis oil costs orders of magnitude MORE than crude petroleum oil.

Expressed as a fraction, dividing USD $20 thousand USD by USD 40 cents illustrates that cannabis oil is precisely 500 times more expensive than an equal volume of crude petroleum oil.

When one considers the horrendous water, soil, and air pollution detriments to all exploitation of crude petroleum oil, as opposed to the environmentally clean organic farming protocol that can be required of a legalized and regulated cannabis industry, the benefits of cannabis industrialization become vividly evident from both an economic standpoint, and from the perspective of those all-important environmental imperatives that all nations must pursue in order to slow and ultimately reverse the progress of global warming.
Re: Buba Marwa: Legalization Of Cannabis Will Take Nigeria To Dark Days by ShaqFu: 8:20am On Nov 19, 2021
I thought it's already legalized, given the way some Nigerians smoke it indiscriminately.
Re: Buba Marwa: Legalization Of Cannabis Will Take Nigeria To Dark Days by grandstar(m): 8:22am On Nov 19, 2021
crossbreedwears:

I know what he did in Lagos. He studied public administration. I am no spring chicken as the elders in my village would say.

You do have a point. I just feel there are better persons

2 Likes

Re: Buba Marwa: Legalization Of Cannabis Will Take Nigeria To Dark Days by Elock1: 8:23am On Nov 19, 2021
LordReed:

Educate me.
people think that the number of wrap they can consume amounts to being a big boy...

And with weed being common, they intake will increase

That's the big boy I meant, not in terms of cash payment
Re: Buba Marwa: Legalization Of Cannabis Will Take Nigeria To Dark Days by RexTramadol1: 8:25am On Nov 19, 2021
Amugbo full this thread
Re: Buba Marwa: Legalization Of Cannabis Will Take Nigeria To Dark Days by davillian(m): 8:26am On Nov 19, 2021
Daveambition:
Imagine the medical & economical gain involve in cannabis legalization but some group of rebellious parasites wil not agree..
Zooyard country govern by Cavemen cankerworms, we already living in dark-age yu dumbfcuk..
Lmao u de mind them, legalise it, it would create jobs, govt can make vat and foreign exchange for it...
Re: Buba Marwa: Legalization Of Cannabis Will Take Nigeria To Dark Days by Cantonese: 8:30am On Nov 19, 2021
With APC Nigeria entered dark days, not marijuana.
Re: Buba Marwa: Legalization Of Cannabis Will Take Nigeria To Dark Days by LordReed(m): 8:30am On Nov 19, 2021
Elock1:
people think that the number of wrap they can consume amounts to being a big boy...

And with weed being common, they intake will increase

That's the big boy I meant, not in terms of cash payment

Oh OK I see what you mean.

1 Like

Re: Buba Marwa: Legalization Of Cannabis Will Take Nigeria To Dark Days by stamapro(m): 8:31am On Nov 19, 2021
Drug abuse is high, so legalizing it to increase foreign earning is to further destroy the abusers. And promte crime.
Re: Buba Marwa: Legalization Of Cannabis Will Take Nigeria To Dark Days by crossbreedwears(m): 8:33am On Nov 19, 2021
So I am from the Bush right? I won't say anything since you believe he did not do anything as a Military Governor
aribisala0:
You have nothing to say. Those of us from Lagos State who were adults when he was there know he did nothing and could have done nothing because by training and orientation military men have nothing to offer and crucially he is not from Lagos State and only governed it from a military perspective.
When he was there IGR was 6 billion a year
With No single development project of note to his name
Re: Buba Marwa: Legalization Of Cannabis Will Take Nigeria To Dark Days by litaninja(m): 8:34am On Nov 19, 2021
The same igbeaux the everyone is smoking?
Lol. Wake up and smell the roses.
Re: Buba Marwa: Legalization Of Cannabis Will Take Nigeria To Dark Days by crossbreedwears(m): 8:34am On Nov 19, 2021
You welcome sir
grandstar:

I know what he did in Lagos. He studied public administration. I am no spring chicken as the elders in my village would say.

You do have a point. I just feel there are better persons
Re: Buba Marwa: Legalization Of Cannabis Will Take Nigeria To Dark Days by watchindelta(m): 8:35am On Nov 19, 2021
Nigeria is too useless to legalize cannibism.
Re: Buba Marwa: Legalization Of Cannabis Will Take Nigeria To Dark Days by Agricmoney(m): 8:36am On Nov 19, 2021
Just remembered a movie I saw titled HOW HIGH

Agriculture is life
Re: Buba Marwa: Legalization Of Cannabis Will Take Nigeria To Dark Days by aribisala0(m): 8:37am On Nov 19, 2021
crossbreedwears:
So I am from the Bush right? I won't say anything since you believe he did not do anything as a Military Governor

Simple question

Just name one thing
Re: Buba Marwa: Legalization Of Cannabis Will Take Nigeria To Dark Days by mfm04622: 8:38am On Nov 19, 2021
Why is NDLEA like this?

Canabis is more than smoking to get high! There are many strains of Canabis that do not give you a high when smoked. That is what people are asking to be legalized. Such are planted and processed for their oil which has medical use.
Re: Buba Marwa: Legalization Of Cannabis Will Take Nigeria To Dark Days by Cantonese: 8:38am On Nov 19, 2021
Jakumo:

Sir, with the utmost appreciation for the purely economic argument you offer in favor of crude petroleum oil as opposed to extracted cannabis oil, let us look at the arithmetic of this comparison.

As a price benchmark, I refer you to the 1.05-minute mark of the above-linked youtube video clip delving into Lesotho's phenomenally lucrative cannabis legalization and commercial exploitation initiative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sG5bhO420I

In an interview that commences at that 1.05-minute mark, filmed during an official visit to a Lesotho industrial cannabis production factory, a government official quotes the prevailing wholesale price of extracted cannabis oil as lying in the range between $18 to $70 thousand dollars USD per liter. For the sake of this arithmetic discussion, assigning [b]a nominal $20K USD as the per liter price of extracted cannabis oil.757722]

Lemme educate you a lot....
In the United States only 18 states legalize it for recreational use while 36 for medical use.

And sorry, it can't replace oil because it can't even generate half the price of oil a day.

Sir, with the utmost appreciation for the purely economic argument you offer in favor of crude petroleum oil as opposed to extracted cannabis oil, let us look at the arithmetic of this comparison.

As a price benchmark, I refer you to the 1.05-minute mark of the above-linked youtube video clip delving into Lesotho's phenomenally lucrative cannabis legalization and commercial exploitation initiative.

In an interview that commences at that 1.05-minute mark, filmed during an official visit to a Lesotho industrial cannabis production factory, a government official quotes the prevailing wholesale price of extracted cannabis oil as lying in the range between $18 to $70 thousand dollars USD per liter. For the sake of this arithmetic discussion, I will assign a nominal $20K USD as the per liter price of extracted cannabis oil.

Nigeria's "Bonny Light" Crude oil, according to the Nigeria Central Bank website, currently wholesales for 64 US dollars per barrel, and that Nigeria currently exports about 1.6 million barrels of Bonny Light crude oil per day.

https://www.cbn.gov.ng/rates/crudeoil.asp

Wikipedia informs us that one unit "Oil Barrel" of crude petroleum oil is defined as being equivalent to 159 liters, by industry convention.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrel_(unit)#:~:text=In%20the%20oil%20industry%2C%20an,litres%2C%20or%2035%20imperial%20gallons.

Now, if one barrel of 159 liters volume Bonny Light crude oil sells for $64 USD, the price of crude petroleum oil is thus $64 per liter divided by 159 liters, which equals $0.402, which translates into 40 CENTS LER LITER, as the current price of Nigerian crude oil exports on the international market.

That same one liter of cannabis oil, conversely, sells for $20 thousand US greenback dollars. In other words, once the actual selling price of crude oil has been expressed as US dollars per liter, it becomes shockingly apparent that cannabis oil costs orders of magnitude MORE than crude petroleum oil.

Expressed as a fraction, dividing USD $20 thousand USD by USD 40 cents illustrates that cannabis oil is precisely 500 times more expensive than an equal volume of crude petroleum oil.

When one considers the horrendous water, soil, and air pollution detriments to all exploitation of crude petroleum oil, as opposed to the environmentally clean organic farming protocol that can be required of a legalized and regulated cannabis industry, the benefits of cannabis industrialization become vividly evident from both an economic standpoint, and from the perspective of those all-important environmental imperatives that all nations must pursue in order to slow and ultimately reverse the progress of global warming.
[/b]

Fantastic.

I think the submission of the chairman and those who share the same view as him is social and religious.

If we set aside the sentiments and look at the economic benefits, Nigeria will prosper more from legalizing it. Moreso is the fact that abusers of marijuana are an insignificant percentage of our population. The chairman cannot know more than the professionals in the field.

Legalizing it will create job opportunities and will definitely improve the economy of our nation.

1 Like

Re: Buba Marwa: Legalization Of Cannabis Will Take Nigeria To Dark Days by snoopz: 8:39am On Nov 19, 2021
What is a brigadier general rtd doing heading the ndlea, instead of getting an expert to head the agency, na military man trained in 19s dey head a serious agency?

Welcome to Nigeria
Re: Buba Marwa: Legalization Of Cannabis Will Take Nigeria To Dark Days by jahlud: 8:43am On Nov 19, 2021
Are we not living the dark age already.
When everything sector of government is in shambles. Abed weekends.
Re: Buba Marwa: Legalization Of Cannabis Will Take Nigeria To Dark Days by Akerele44(m): 8:44am On Nov 19, 2021
Daveambition:
I am a Muslim...dnt let's the abokis deceive u na dem smoke am pass all those bad things na them do am pass and they always believe they are more religious more dan any other tribe

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Reno Omokri: Nigeria Does Not Need Placeholders, We Need Pacesetters / Enugu Guber: INEC Lacks Powers To Suspend Collated Results – PDP / Abraham Rejects Ondo APC Primaries, Heads For Appeal Committee. Mo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.