Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,019 members, 7,859,671 topics. Date: Thursday, 13 June 2024 at 04:38 PM

Buba Marwa: Legalization Of Cannabis Will Take Nigeria To Dark Days - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buba Marwa: Legalization Of Cannabis Will Take Nigeria To Dark Days (14239 Views)

Buba Marwa And Tinubu Pose For Pictures During A Recent Meeting. / Buba Marwa Buries His Wife, Zainab In Imo (Photos) / President Buhari Appoints Buba Marwa As DG Of NDLEA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buba Marwa: Legalization Of Cannabis Will Take Nigeria To Dark Days by Athemisia: 10:19am On Nov 19, 2021
oteneaaron:

Thank you very much for your education.

But for how long will Oil revenue keep coming in?

For how long will we keep destroying the environment because of Oil exploration?

Think about the soot in PH

Think about the destroyed farmlands in the south south...

Cannabis has tremendous benefits, and this is a fact.

Oil is like water; it never runs dry. Just ask any of your friend in the oil sector.

Cannabis legalization in Nigeria will not hold water.
Thanks.
Re: Buba Marwa: Legalization Of Cannabis Will Take Nigeria To Dark Days by tundess: 10:49am On Nov 19, 2021
Immediately I read the Marwa quote about cannabis having no medicinal value, I knew he was completely out of touch.
It also goes to explain how vigorous his Chairmanship has been; He's using NDLEA as campaign publicity for governorship.
They say Atiku is not Nigerian. What of Marwa ?
Re: Buba Marwa: Legalization Of Cannabis Will Take Nigeria To Dark Days by einsteine(m): 11:10am On Nov 19, 2021
You cannot expect a man to understand something if his livelihood depends on NOT UNDERSTANDING it. Legalization of drugs will mean no need for Marwa so what do you expect him to say?

NDLEA are one of the biggest beneficiaries of the prohibition of drugs. Many of them should by rights be jobless if the government was sensible and stopped wasting funds fighting an illogical and unwinnable fight.

1 Like

Re: Buba Marwa: Legalization Of Cannabis Will Take Nigeria To Dark Days by einsteine(m): 11:15am On Nov 19, 2021
emilfischer:

Legalising weed will not solve Nigeria's problem. Instead, it will make it worse as more people will get addicted.

Besides, if we are considering the income the government can generate from it, they are much better and safer ways to go about. We don't have to destroy our society more than it currently is to achieve this.

Now that you have not legalized it, has that stopped anybody from smoking it? Have you seen any smoker of weed who wants to smoke weed and was unable to find weed?

It is sheer foolishness to criminalise marijuana.

In a country where alcohol and tobacco is legal.
Re: Buba Marwa: Legalization Of Cannabis Will Take Nigeria To Dark Days by darichlife: 11:18am On Nov 19, 2021
aribisala0:
Sentiment is part of humanity
Without sentiment the slave trade would still continue
There is no economic reason why we cannot trade in human beings or human body parts. Such activity could double our GDP
What i wrote is not for crawling minds. Your perception is clear but your point unatural, sane countries use the proceeds from nature to grow and even source from other countries. I understand our challenge, but evolution always is expanding.
Re: Buba Marwa: Legalization Of Cannabis Will Take Nigeria To Dark Days by einsteine(m): 11:20am On Nov 19, 2021
BluntTheApostle:

We can avail ourselves of the economic and medical gains of cannabis, but we must never let it be uncontrolled.

Cannibis, in the wrong hand, is a disaster. And because the country is so corrupt, and due to this corruption, it would be impossible to control cannabis use.

So, Marwa is right to have reservations about the legalization of cannabis.

How would the consumption of marijuana change if it is legalized? People smoke weed every day already. Legalizing it only allows the government to stop spending tax payer money to fund the likes of Marwa and redirect same to more productive ventures. It also takes money out of the pockets of drug kingpins.

Alcohol and Tobacco are legal. Imagine if alcohol was declared illegal and ndlea started arresting alcohol sellers, people like you would be defending it on the guise that there is corruption in Nigeria and so alcohol must be controlled because alcohol in the wrong hands is disaster.

Many people make the wrong assumption that the legalization of marijuana would lead to a massive rise in consumption. No, it won't. Alcohol and tobacco are legal and some of us neither smoke nor drink.

1 Like

Re: Buba Marwa: Legalization Of Cannabis Will Take Nigeria To Dark Days by einsteine(m): 11:24am On Nov 19, 2021
HarunaWest:

Choi choi choi...too much talk....Is Nigeria Netherlands? This same country where people are smoking paw paw leaf and sniffing gutter.

People smoke pawpaw leaf. That should tell you that people must take drugs whether the government likes it or not. Better to stop wasting government funds and other resources trying to win an unwinnable war. If you like ban everything in this world, those who want to get high will find a way to get high. It's as simple as that.

The demand for mind altering substances is inelastic.
Re: Buba Marwa: Legalization Of Cannabis Will Take Nigeria To Dark Days by emilfischer(m): 11:27am On Nov 19, 2021
einsteine:

Now that you have not legalized it, has that stopped anybody from smoking it? Have you seen any smoker of weed who wants to smoke weed and was unable to find weed?

It is sheer foolishness to criminalise marijuana.

In a country where alcohol and tobacco is legal.

I get that the Nigeria security architecture is weak but that does not mean we should make it legal.

Is like saying that we should legalise robbery other hard drugs just because they are barely regulated.
Re: Buba Marwa: Legalization Of Cannabis Will Take Nigeria To Dark Days by einsteine(m): 11:28am On Nov 19, 2021
aribisala0:
It depends there are extracts of cannabis that are available on prescription. They are not smoked and do not get you high so there can be separation
Significantly a crucial problem with cannabis is that it is smoked which cause significant respiratory problems especially over many years . There is no way to sugar coat that. So this idea of a "medical" cannabis which is no different from rolling up and smoking cannot be genuinely marketed as "medical".

I think there is extricability and separability. Indeed medical cannabis will be less likely to make you "high" or euphoric or be attractive for recreational use.
Legalization could potentially lead to more research in extracting medicinal components and also devise means of administration/ingestion that are do not involve smoking

I hope you are campaigning for the ban of tobacco and cigarette based on these arguments.
Re: Buba Marwa: Legalization Of Cannabis Will Take Nigeria To Dark Days by aribisala0(m): 11:30am On Nov 19, 2021
einsteine:

I hope you are campaigning for the ban of tobacco and cigarette based on these arguments.
I Hope your time spent in school was not a waste of money
If you read and do not comprehend do not bother to quote me .
I am not that patient that is why I am not a teacher
Re: Buba Marwa: Legalization Of Cannabis Will Take Nigeria To Dark Days by einsteine(m): 11:31am On Nov 19, 2021
emilfischer:

I get that the Nigeria security architecture is weak but that does not mean we should make it legal.

Is like saying that we should legalise robbery other hard drugs just because they are barely regulated.

Sorry but that's a fallacy of FALSE EQUIVALENCE there.

Robbery is by definition a crime because you are depriving another of property by means of violence.

A person who smokes weed does not deprive another person of anything. It's his or her own body.

1 Like

Re: Buba Marwa: Legalization Of Cannabis Will Take Nigeria To Dark Days by aribisala0(m): 11:31am On Nov 19, 2021
darichlife:

What i wrote is not for crawling minds. Your perception is clear but your point unatural, sane countries use the proceeds from nature to grow and even source from other countries. I understand our challenge, but evolution always is expanding.
You are judge and jury in the quality of YOUR OWN mind.
You are not as profound as you fancy
Re: Buba Marwa: Legalization Of Cannabis Will Take Nigeria To Dark Days by einsteine(m): 11:32am On Nov 19, 2021
aribisala0:
I Hope your time spent in school was not a waste of money
If you read and do not comprehend do not bother to quote me .
I am not that patient that is why I am not a teacher

Your time spent in school was a waste, that's why you can only advance fallacies to defend your illogical points.
Re: Buba Marwa: Legalization Of Cannabis Will Take Nigeria To Dark Days by emilfischer(m): 11:37am On Nov 19, 2021
olas24u:

stop being shallow, we will be importing products made from the cannabis in the distant future,that is how we operate,you have crude you import petrol , kerosine,diesel and the rest.You don't refine your crude,you cannot refine it ,even to ship it to where they will buy,you don't have any ship made in your country with Nigerian sailors

Obviously, you are only interested in the economic gains from cannabis without minding the impact that is will have on the mental health of the users.

Hope you are aware that cannabis is responsible for a good number of patients in psychiatric hospitals and mad people roaming the streets each day and government have to spend money for treating this patients.
Re: Buba Marwa: Legalization Of Cannabis Will Take Nigeria To Dark Days by aribisala0(m): 11:39am On Nov 19, 2021
einsteine:

Your time spent in school was a waste, that's why you can only advance fallacies to defend your illogical points.
What are my points ??

grin
Re: Buba Marwa: Legalization Of Cannabis Will Take Nigeria To Dark Days by aribisala0(m): 11:41am On Nov 19, 2021
emilfischer:

Obviously, you are only interested in the economic gains from cannabis without minding the impact that is will have on the mental health of the users.

Hope you are aware that cannabis is responsible for a good number of patients in psychiatric hospitals and mad people roaming the streets each day and government have to spend money for treating this patients.

Do you have data on the numbers?

Have you got evidence of ONE case where cannabis is responsible for a person "roaming the streets"

Just one case
I am not saying you are wrong just asking for evidence. What do you base your claim on?
Re: Buba Marwa: Legalization Of Cannabis Will Take Nigeria To Dark Days by Benrosaria(m): 12:03pm On Nov 19, 2021
Springboot:

Last time I checked, cannabis is illegal in the United States and most western countries

It is most legal in California, it is yet to be legal in the slums of Nigeria, how much more state. Ondò wey just recently dey allow that precious nature still dey use small eye dey observe government
Re: Buba Marwa: Legalization Of Cannabis Will Take Nigeria To Dark Days by BluntTheApostle(m): 12:30pm On Nov 19, 2021
aribisala0:
Not logical
One could say it would do the exact opposite
You are just guessing and do not have ANY EVIDENCE for your claim any more than saying Germany will win the next World Cup

A GUESSS!!

How do I know well there is evidence from those countries that have done so
In some countries like the UK it is not legal but the police do not bother to prosecute
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6897013/Police-UK-given-green-light-let-cannabis-users-scot-free.html
In Nigeria the use of cannabis is so widespread that government does not have enough resource to prosecute all the offenders in court not to talk of prison space so legalizing cannabis will free up law enforcement resources to concentrate on other crimes
Bottomline it is a law that cannot be enforced already because there are no resources and ONLY POOR people are prosecuted. In fact I have never heard anyone going to prison for smoking weed in Nigeria. It is just an opportunity for police to chop

Use a developing country as an example, not UK.
Re: Buba Marwa: Legalization Of Cannabis Will Take Nigeria To Dark Days by aribisala0(m): 12:36pm On Nov 19, 2021
BluntTheApostle:

Use a developing country as an example, not UK.
No

I am open to evidence . My mind is open
You claim legalizing it will make it worse

Provide evidence.

If you believe YOUR ASSERTION provide evidence from a developing country since you say evidence from developed countries is not good

Why not provide evidence to back your position

All I am saying is at best there is no evidence for your claim

IT IS A GUESS
Re: Buba Marwa: Legalization Of Cannabis Will Take Nigeria To Dark Days by crossbreedwears(m): 12:36pm On Nov 19, 2021
Lol lol. You're a joker! How about the crime rate he reduced with the collaboration of the Nigeria Police?What about the petrol station he tried to eradicate ques?
aribisala0:
Empty vessel
He was a complete failure in Lagos
Re: Buba Marwa: Legalization Of Cannabis Will Take Nigeria To Dark Days by aribisala0(m): 12:38pm On Nov 19, 2021
crossbreedwears:
Lol lol. You're a joker! How about the crime rate he reduced with the collaboration of the Nigeria Police?What about the petrol station he tried to eradicate ques?
Do you have data?
Re: Buba Marwa: Legalization Of Cannabis Will Take Nigeria To Dark Days by BluntTheApostle(m): 12:47pm On Nov 19, 2021
aribisala0:
No

I am open to evidence . My mind is open
You claim legalizing it will make it worse

Provide evidence.

If you believe YOUR ASSERTION provide evidence from a developing country since you say evidence from developed countries is not good

Why not provide evidence to back your position

All I am saying is at best there is no evidence for your claim

IT IS A GUESS

What I am saying is that if they legalize weeds for economic and medical purposes, corruption will allow it to fall into the hands of unauthorized people. You may have doctors and even authorized traders and farmers selling it to unauthorized people, including under-aged people.

In a developed country, there is a vibrant security service which can quickly nip illegal cannibas transactions in the bud. Moreover, citizens of developed countries are well sensitized to do the right thing, even though some of them don't.

It is like comparing firearms freedom in the United States to that in Nigeria. Instituting firearms freedom in Nigeria will result in far devastating consequences than has and will ever be witnessed in the United States.
Re: Buba Marwa: Legalization Of Cannabis Will Take Nigeria To Dark Days by Quiny32323: 12:59pm On Nov 19, 2021
HarunaWest:

Choi choi choi...too much talk....Is Nigeria Netherlands? This same country where people are smoking paw paw leaf and sniffing gutter.

You cant throw it as simple as that and last time I checked poverty and unemployment is the bedrock of crime.
Re: Buba Marwa: Legalization Of Cannabis Will Take Nigeria To Dark Days by Germi9: 1:05pm On Nov 19, 2021
Simply say Legalization of cannabis will remove food from your table
Re: Buba Marwa: Legalization Of Cannabis Will Take Nigeria To Dark Days by crossbreedwears(m): 1:09pm On Nov 19, 2021
No sir! Will you buy for me?
aribisala0:
Do you have data?
Re: Buba Marwa: Legalization Of Cannabis Will Take Nigeria To Dark Days by ajl: 1:49pm On Nov 19, 2021
Oloriburuku Marwa. There is a difference between legal growing of marijuana for medical drugs and legalizing smoking of marijuana. I used to think you are a wise man. Or is this all about religion or ethnic thing?
Re: Buba Marwa: Legalization Of Cannabis Will Take Nigeria To Dark Days by ajl: 1:51pm On Nov 19, 2021
BluntTheApostle:

What I am saying is that if they legalize weeds for economic and medical purposes, corruption will allow it to fall into the hands of unauthorized people. You may have doctors and even authorized traders and farmers selling it to unauthorized people, including under-aged people.

In a developed country, there is a vibrant security service which can quickly nip illegal cannibas transactions in the bud. Moreover, citizens of developed countries are well sensitized to do the right thing, even though some of them don't.

It is like comparing firearms freedom in the United States to that in Nigeria. Instituting firearms freedom in Nigeria will result in far devastating consequences than has and will ever be witnessed in the United States.

Like you yourself don't even trust yourself. Senseless.
Re: Buba Marwa: Legalization Of Cannabis Will Take Nigeria To Dark Days by Aboguede(m): 1:52pm On Nov 19, 2021
olas24u:

Is it only smoking of the product you can think about?have you not seen the toothpaste ,the herbal tea and hair products yet.we don't need people like you in this country.

You are too childish or ignorant to understand the subject in discussion. This is about Nigeria not Netherland
Re: Buba Marwa: Legalization Of Cannabis Will Take Nigeria To Dark Days by BluntTheApostle(m): 1:54pm On Nov 19, 2021
ajl:

Like you yourself don't even trust yourself. Senseless.

What does this have to do with the argument.
Re: Buba Marwa: Legalization Of Cannabis Will Take Nigeria To Dark Days by aribisala0(m): 1:57pm On Nov 19, 2021
crossbreedwears:
No sir! Will you buy for me?
what does buy data mean?

Do you have data to substantiate your claim?
Re: Buba Marwa: Legalization Of Cannabis Will Take Nigeria To Dark Days by mimee9(f): 2:14pm On Nov 19, 2021
Nigeria is already there
Re: Buba Marwa: Legalization Of Cannabis Will Take Nigeria To Dark Days by olas24u(f): 3:31pm On Nov 19, 2021
Aboguede:

You are too childish or ignorant to understand the subject in discussion. This is about Nigeria not Netherland
as if

You are only interested in the intoxicating part of it ,many countries have started to export and sell products from cannabis online. Am sure you from a part of the country that is always shouting one Nigeria ,They are the only people that can turn real things upside down.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Amaechi, Jang, Others Attend Jonathan’s Dinner / Nigerian Foreign Reserves In Steady Decline / Borno Emirs Return To Palace, 2 Years After Fleeing Boko Haram Insurgents

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.