Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,251 members, 7,836,176 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:03 PM

Help, My 2weeks Old Baby Has A Sunken Fontanelle. What Do We Do? - Health (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Help, My 2weeks Old Baby Has A Sunken Fontanelle. What Do We Do? (46152 Views)

Help My New Baby Has Jaundice / 40 U.S. Doctors Operate On 1-Week-Old Baby With Huge Growth On Her Neck(Pics) / Healthy Skin Tips: How To Get Beautiful Skin In Just 2weeks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help, My 2weeks Old Baby Has A Sunken Fontanelle. What Do We Do? by 1Sharon(f): 4:32pm On Nov 19, 2021
aribisala0:

Africans?

So breatfeeding behavvior is the same across Africa
"Africans don't breastfeed long enough?"

How do you know this

Cos I read!!
Re: Help, My 2weeks Old Baby Has A Sunken Fontanelle. What Do We Do? by ensamy(m): 4:32pm On Nov 19, 2021
Severe dehydration maybe due to diarrhea and vomiting. Rush to hospital that is not good
Re: Help, My 2weeks Old Baby Has A Sunken Fontanelle. What Do We Do? by Shokoloko(f): 4:32pm On Nov 19, 2021
1Sharon:

I'm not being insultive. Breastfeeding is crucial in kids and Africans don't breastfeed long enough and it's possibly why the IQ is low.

Ever heard about breast pumps or wet nurses?

My gosh, you people are so narrow-minded!

"You people"? For real? You are part of the "you people" : black Africa

You know, you of all people, as an African knows that Nigerian orphanages cannot afford wet nurses or breast pumps.

You are reading flawed papers written by caucasians telling you that your race has low IQ?!?!?! And you swallow that hook, line and sinker?
Re: Help, My 2weeks Old Baby Has A Sunken Fontanelle. What Do We Do? by Jackipapa: 4:33pm On Nov 19, 2021
What happens if Fontanelle is pressed?
A baby's soft spots are called fontanelles. They allow your baby's brain to grow larger at a fast rate over their first year of life. It's important to avoid pressing into their soft spots, as it could cause damage to their skull or brain.
The fontanel is covered by a thick, tough membrane that protects the brain. There is absolutely no danger of damaging your baby with normal handling. Don't be afraid to touch, brush over, or wash over the soft spot.
If you notice a bulging fontanelle along with a fever or excessive drowsiness, seek medical attention right away. A fontanelle that doesn't seem to be closing. Talk with your doctor if your baby's soft spots haven't started getting smaller by her first birthday.
Re: Help, My 2weeks Old Baby Has A Sunken Fontanelle. What Do We Do? by 1Sharon(f): 4:33pm On Nov 19, 2021
Shokoloko:

You know, you know that Nigerian orphanages cannot afford wet nurses or breast pumps.

And the kids don't have proper brain development as a result.
Re: Help, My 2weeks Old Baby Has A Sunken Fontanelle. What Do We Do? by aribisala0(m): 4:33pm On Nov 19, 2021
1Sharon:

Cos I read!!

Question was HOW not WHY??

Do you believe everything you read

So who wrote this ? Can you share with us please?
Re: Help, My 2weeks Old Baby Has A Sunken Fontanelle. What Do We Do? by Temi2468: 4:36pm On Nov 19, 2021
Beremx:
Sign of dehydration. Please give him water to drink everyday. Avoid giving him strong antibiotics to avoid stories that touches the heart. I am talking from experience.

Yes. Dehydration is one of the major causes. Actually, more breastfeeding, not water, would do. Except the baby has an underlying illness. It's still good to visit the hospital.
Re: Help, My 2weeks Old Baby Has A Sunken Fontanelle. What Do We Do? by babadee1(m): 4:39pm On Nov 19, 2021
verybadmouth:
Doctors in the house please I need your advice. Is it a problem I should be very worried about or would it close in no time. Please help

File Photos

It's normal they should have told you this at the hospital.
Re: Help, My 2weeks Old Baby Has A Sunken Fontanelle. What Do We Do? by jojothunder: 4:40pm On Nov 19, 2021
Don't bother yourself it will close up he grows up but take your finger off that place, and don't allow people to touch the place. It's normal in some babies. It happened to all my siblings according to my mother.
Re: Help, My 2weeks Old Baby Has A Sunken Fontanelle. What Do We Do? by 1Sharon(f): 4:41pm On Nov 19, 2021
aribisala0:

Question was HOW not WHY??

Do you believe everything you read

So who wrote this ? Can you share with us please?

My God you are dense.

I'm sure your type believe and never questions your holy books. But you want to question observable reality. Abeg comot.
Re: Help, My 2weeks Old Baby Has A Sunken Fontanelle. What Do We Do? by 1Sharon(f): 4:42pm On Nov 19, 2021
Shokoloko:

You know, you of all people, as an African knows that Nigerian orphanages cannot afford wet nurses or breast pumps.

You are reading flawed papers written by caucasians telling you that your race has low IQ?!?!?! And you swallow that hook, line and sinker?

Your holey books was written by who?

Look at this hypocrite.
Re: Help, My 2weeks Old Baby Has A Sunken Fontanelle. What Do We Do? by aribisala0(m): 4:42pm On Nov 19, 2021
1Sharon:

Cos I read!!
Clearly you are reading the wrong stuff. or just an opinionated ignoramus

Do a little research and search online for those countries that breastfeed exclusively
There is research data from UNICEF
It show that Africans actually breastfeed as well as or better than any other continent
Eschew the habit of making grand pronouncements especially when you are clearly very ignorant
Re: Help, My 2weeks Old Baby Has A Sunken Fontanelle. What Do We Do? by Shokoloko(f): 4:43pm On Nov 19, 2021
1Sharon:

Cos I read!!

Re: Help, My 2weeks Old Baby Has A Sunken Fontanelle. What Do We Do? by SECDA: 4:44pm On Nov 19, 2021
Am a father of three... So i advise you not panic but ensure the baby is well fed and hydrated. With time it will harden and fill up.
Also i did use woolen cap tp cover it up and prevent people from touch my babies head at that stage.
Re: Help, My 2weeks Old Baby Has A Sunken Fontanelle. What Do We Do? by Alal(m): 4:44pm On Nov 19, 2021
For this reason and others are why we call on our elders to be around when taking care of new born babes,but we care not about tradition these days,pls consult your parents or your wife's parents. Hospitals wouldn't help.

1 Like

Re: Help, My 2weeks Old Baby Has A Sunken Fontanelle. What Do We Do? by Agrovalue1(m): 4:46pm On Nov 19, 2021
Beremx:
Sign of dehydration. Please give him water to drink everyday. Avoid giving him strong antibiotics to avoid stories that touches the heart. I am talking from experience.

I totally agree with you. Had a similar experience with my first child, so I became aware and always made sure she took enough water everyday. That fixed it. My other kids were fine cause I got educated about it. OP please give your baby enough water.

1 Like

Re: Help, My 2weeks Old Baby Has A Sunken Fontanelle. What Do We Do? by Shokoloko(f): 4:46pm On Nov 19, 2021
1Sharon:

Your holey books was written by who?

Look at this hypocrite.

NOT ONE single holy book was written by Caucasians. Who dash them?

Forget about the insults. Lets focus on the debate. I notice that when people are stuck in a debate they resort to insults to push the other person off the topic of the debate. To make the other person digress and start responding to the insults.
I am too old to be distracted.
I am interested in this topic of fontanelle and breastfeeding matters
Re: Help, My 2weeks Old Baby Has A Sunken Fontanelle. What Do We Do? by aribisala0(m): 4:46pm On Nov 19, 2021
1Sharon:

My God you are dense.

I'm sure your type believe and never questions your holy books. But you want to question observable reality. Abeg comot.
I do not have holy books
You are making assumptions which are not only irrelevant but baseless

What is the source for your claim??
according to the UNICEF in the top 10 countries that breastfeed exclusively 5 are African

Crucially there is no evidence that there is an "African" approach
There are dozens of countries in Africa with very different worldviews and lumping them all together is irrational
Re: Help, My 2weeks Old Baby Has A Sunken Fontanelle. What Do We Do? by larrytoks: 4:49pm On Nov 19, 2021
Newborn's fontanelle should be soft not sunken. Take baby to see a pediatrician, it could be a sign of dehydration.
All the best mama!
Re: Help, My 2weeks Old Baby Has A Sunken Fontanelle. What Do We Do? by aribisala0(m): 4:51pm On Nov 19, 2021
1Sharon:

My God you are dense.

Hopefully you will realize that
1. You are wrong on this issue of breastfeeding
2. You are not nearly as bright as you think you are

Try and learn humility because clearly you are in that very dangerous place where you lack knowledge and think you know it all
Re: Help, My 2weeks Old Baby Has A Sunken Fontanelle. What Do We Do? by damoceile: 4:51pm On Nov 19, 2021
All babies are born like this, una go just dey panic over whatnot upandan...
Re: Help, My 2weeks Old Baby Has A Sunken Fontanelle. What Do We Do? by timjones1(m): 4:52pm On Nov 19, 2021
You're probably doing exclusive breastfeeding for the baby, this is a sign of dehydration. The baby not having enough water.. just give him enough water, it'll bulge out. Thank you

2 Likes

Re: Help, My 2weeks Old Baby Has A Sunken Fontanelle. What Do We Do? by verybadmouth(m): 4:53pm On Nov 19, 2021
peacettw:

Ok I understand. Besides dehydration, there aren't too many pathologies that cause sunken fontanelle.

As long as your baby suckles well, and is generally okay, you don't have to worry. Congratulations
Thanks so much
Re: Help, My 2weeks Old Baby Has A Sunken Fontanelle. What Do We Do? by verybadmouth(m): 4:53pm On Nov 19, 2021
whatalife:
Just went round my area now, this is the flower am talking about, you cut and squeeze the water out to the part of the baby’s head for like 3 to 4 days very early in the morning, i don’t know the name
very grateful ma
Re: Help, My 2weeks Old Baby Has A Sunken Fontanelle. What Do We Do? by Shokoloko(f): 4:55pm On Nov 19, 2021
timjones1:
You're probably doing exclusive breastfeeding for the baby, this is a sign of dehydration. The baby not having enough water.. just give him enough water, it'll bulge out. Thank you
Totally agree with you, Sir!
Re: Help, My 2weeks Old Baby Has A Sunken Fontanelle. What Do We Do? by nickyvil: 4:57pm On Nov 19, 2021
In Yoruba, this is called OKA, I will need you to answer this short questions??

Do you baby cry a lot even after feeding??
Did he cried a lot even when he's full??
Tap his/her stomach if it will make sound ?? If it does it serious
Re: Help, My 2weeks Old Baby Has A Sunken Fontanelle. What Do We Do? by Nyanabo(m): 4:59pm On Nov 19, 2021
This is not new. Like many has advice make sure the baby stays hydrated. (Don't let him/hiccup first before you give them fluids)

Also apply kernel oil or if you don't have substitute with baby oil. With time it will cover up.

I'm not a doctor but Abidec for babies helps with stronger/faster bone formation.

Goodluck
Re: Help, My 2weeks Old Baby Has A Sunken Fontanelle. What Do We Do? by 1Sharon(f): 5:02pm On Nov 19, 2021
Shokoloko:

Link to the whole article??
Re: Help, My 2weeks Old Baby Has A Sunken Fontanelle. What Do We Do? by 1Sharon(f): 5:05pm On Nov 19, 2021
Shokoloko:

NOT ONE single holy book was written by Caucasians. Who dash them?

Forget about the insults. Lets focus on the debate. I notice that when people are stuck in a debate they resort to insults to push the other person off the topic of the debate. To make the other person digress and start responding to the insults.
I am too old to be distracted.
I am interested in this topic of fontanelle and breastfeeding matters

That's not the point. You only accept things that are written when it suits you.
Re: Help, My 2weeks Old Baby Has A Sunken Fontanelle. What Do We Do? by Gboy5050: 5:06pm On Nov 19, 2021
Constant baby hair oil
Re: Help, My 2weeks Old Baby Has A Sunken Fontanelle. What Do We Do? by verybadmouth(m): 5:09pm On Nov 19, 2021
nickyvil:
In Yoruba, this is called OKA, I will need you to answer this short questions??

Do you baby cry a lot even after feeding??
Did he cried a lot even when he's full??
Tap his/her stomach if it will make sound ?? If it does it serious
She cries only when her diaper is changed. No sound when I tapped her stomach.
Re: Help, My 2weeks Old Baby Has A Sunken Fontanelle. What Do We Do? by 1Sharon(f): 5:09pm On Nov 19, 2021
aribisala0:
I do not have holy books
You are making assumptions which are not only irrelevant but baseless

What is the source for your claim??
according to the UNICEF in the top 10 countries that breastfeed exclusively 5 are African

Crucially there is no evidence that there is an "African" approach
There are dozens of countries in Africa with very different worldviews and lumping them all together is irrational

"Exclusive breastfeeding" means nothing to our premise.

" Top 5" also doesn't disprove my point.

How many women OVERALL breastfeed and HOW LONG are they doing this for?

Here is a study proving my point. Now shut up and be gone.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S221413912030144X

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

LINA MEDINA, The Youngest Mother Ever / Spots On My Penis, Wondering If Anyone Can Help Me / How Healthplus Pharmacy Founder And 11 Family Members Survived COVID-19

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.