Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,120 members, 7,953,458 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 04:38 PM

Shocking: Only 35% Registered Nigerians Voted In April Polls- Inec - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Shocking: Only 35% Registered Nigerians Voted In April Polls- Inec (3646 Views)

Nigerians Voted Change, Not Acts Of Masturbation, Iwuanyanwu Tells Buhari / April Polls: Inec Adopts Modified Open Secret Ballot / April Polls: Lynch anybody who attempts to rig, Buhari tells Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Shocking: Only 35% Registered Nigerians Voted In April Polls- Inec by Bintus2much(m): 1:24pm On Jun 10, 2011
General elections: Only 35% registered Nigerians voted –INEC

The Independent National Electoral Commission on Thursday noted that Nigerians’ participation in the electoral process was low, saying that only 35 per cent of the 70 million registered voters took part in the last general elections.

The Chairman of INEC, Prof. Attahiru Jega, stated this at a workshop on voter apathy organised in Abuja by the commission.

Before Jega made the disclosure through the chairman, INEC Board of Electoral Institute, Prof. Lai Olurode, United States President Barack Obama, advised President Goodluck Jonathan to use the opportunity of his victory at the April poll to develop Nigeria.

Jega, at the workshop in which the Friedrich Ebert Stiftung Foundation gave a report of its research on the April general elections, said the poor turn out of voters in the general elections was at variance with the belief that they showed much enthusiasm during the polls.

He described the workshop as part of efforts “to extend the frontiers of citizenship and widen the scope of participation in elections and governance processes.”

The INEC chairman noted that the low participation in the polls was an indication of political apathy in the country and citizens’ disinterestedness in the electoral process.

Jega said, “That there exists voter apathy in Nigeria is no longer contentious. Voter turnout in the just concluded general elections had provided a scientific and empirical evidence of the existence of voter apathy and disinterestedness of sections of the electorate in elections.

“The National Assembly elections, the presidential election, the gubernatorial and state assembly elections conducted in April showed that voters’ turnout hovered around 35 per cent. This ugly scenario has implications for popular participation and governance.”

According to him, the commission is determined to increase participation in the election processes.

INEC chairman added, “We, as a commission, are determined to enlarge participation in the election processes as a well cherished means of aggregating preferences. “This is because an apathetic citizenry contributes to wastage of investments committed to procuring sensitive election materials as well as money spent on voter education activities and election personnel remuneration.”

He explained that an apathetic citizenry contributed to wastage of investments in sensitive election materials and money spent on voter registration.

The Friedrich Ebert Stiftung Foundation identified lack of transparent elections, election violence and politicians’ non-committal to their campaign promises as major reasons for voters’ apathy in the country.

In Washington, Obama told visiting Jonathan that since Nigeria had the potential of a great nation, he (Jonathan) should be diversifying its economic base.

A US-based Nigerian news agency, Empowered Newswire, said the American leader again congratulated Jonathan and restated that Nigeria was one of US’ strategic partners.

Obama, according to Empowered Newswire, also expressed his appreciation to Nigeria for its contributions to international peacekeeping missions and leadership role in West Africa.

He particularly mentioned the role played by Nigeria in the recent political crisis in Ivory Coast.

Obama told Jonathan that he looked forward to more cooperation between the US and Nigeria in the nearest future.

Earlier, Jonathan had expressed his appreciation for his invitation to the White House and also commended the American government’s support for INEC in the build-up to the April elections.

He also asked the US to further invigorate its assistance to Nigeria through the US-Nigeria Binational Commission.

Nigeria’s Ambassador to the US, Prof. Adebowale Adefuye, who was present at the meeting, said that Jonathan praised Washington for its statement recognising the positive outcome of the polls.

Jonathan, according to Adefuye, also promised that Nigeria will further the cause of Democracy in Africa and continue to play a leading role in its contribution to the United Nations peacekeeping missions.

While appreciating the US for the US-Nigeria Binational Commission, the President said, “I want to see the implementation of the Binational Commission invigorated.”

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20110610359292
Re: Shocking: Only 35% Registered Nigerians Voted In April Polls- Inec by Bintus2much(m): 1:27pm On Jun 10, 2011
Wonders shall never end.INEC have explanation to make, 35% registered voted compared to the results declared. Same INEC said the results were credible? Nigeria will hail thee!
Re: Shocking: Only 35% Registered Nigerians Voted In April Polls- Inec by Odunnu: 1:36pm On Jun 10, 2011
No be small wonders o. Is Jega also a drunk?
Re: Shocking: Only 35% Registered Nigerians Voted In April Polls- Inec by hakanai(m): 2:00pm On Jun 10, 2011
Keep coming !!!!! 1+1 = 1 grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Shocking: Only 35% Registered Nigerians Voted In April Polls- Inec by Abagworo(m): 2:41pm On Jun 10, 2011
When I used eye witness account to prove an argument in the Presidential elections,there was all sorts of insult.I personally took my own time to visit 10 polling units in different LGAs in Rivers and observed about 30% attendance.
Re: Shocking: Only 35% Registered Nigerians Voted In April Polls- Inec by dustydee: 2:43pm On Jun 10, 2011
the more you look, the less you understand.
Re: Shocking: Only 35% Registered Nigerians Voted In April Polls- Inec by ektbear: 3:18pm On Jun 10, 2011
At least on paper, the turnout was 80%+ in some states in the SS and SE. Or so we are supposed to believe.
Re: Shocking: Only 35% Registered Nigerians Voted In April Polls- Inec by efisher(m): 3:33pm On Jun 10, 2011
I always try to understand a subject before commenting or passing a judgment. The statement says "hovered around 35%". Meaning 35% plus / minus. Also, it may have considered the three elections and not just the presidential elections. Note also that governorship elections were not conducted in several states. Put these factors together and you may come up with an average figure close to 35%. I would like to get an explanation from INEC before concluding.
Re: Shocking: Only 35% Registered Nigerians Voted In April Polls- Inec by Kobojunkie: 3:43pm On Jun 10, 2011
haka_nai:

Keep coming !!!!! [size=13pt]1+1 = 1[/size]  grin grin grin grin grin

Na wa o  . . . . about 35% of 70 million voted, yet INEC certified that the results were correct  when more than 35 million votes were recorded in just one election. Interesting!
Re: Shocking: Only 35% Registered Nigerians Voted In April Polls- Inec by Nobody: 3:49pm On Jun 10, 2011
Not really shocking.

The whole thing is just messy.

Nigerians may not have voted for GEJ, but they're just not bothered with the result. Why?

1. Anything apart from a Norther/ SW'ner president is Liberation, no matter how incompetent GEJ is.

2. Supposedly, this election emphasized "democracy" in Nigeria because GEJ is not from the big-3 majority.

3. "No more zoning".

This is just so messed up.

Even if it's 35% that showed up, how's that GEJ's fault? They decided not to vote, those who did or who rigged for him chose him.

Abeg, let water pass under the bridge jor. Can we get to work?
Re: Shocking: Only 35% Registered Nigerians Voted In April Polls- Inec by Mynd44: 3:53pm On Jun 10, 2011
Another reason for those CPC GUYS to start baring their fangs
Re: Shocking: Only 35% Registered Nigerians Voted In April Polls- Inec by agabaI23(m): 4:16pm On Jun 10, 2011
If you think that INEC will make a statement that will indict it, then think twice.

If I were you, I would ask, 'how did INEC arrive at that percentage?'
Re: Shocking: Only 35% Registered Nigerians Voted In April Polls- Inec by NkemJuliet: 4:42pm On Jun 10, 2011
OK it's very possible cos most batch A corpers and batch C corpers were disenfranchised and even d batch B corpers that participated in the registration process were sent to different location for the voting exercise, So virtually all corpers did not participate.I served in benue state and I registered there but left benue after I finished my service year for Lagos, So it was impossible for me to vote, So it's very possible, am not saying that 65% of d registered Nigerians that did not vote are corpers.
Re: Shocking: Only 35% Registered Nigerians Voted In April Polls- Inec by ASANIGBO(m): 4:44pm On Jun 10, 2011
angry

WAITING

GENERAL

ELECTION

sad

Re: Shocking: Only 35% Registered Nigerians Voted In April Polls- Inec by Roland17(m): 4:46pm On Jun 10, 2011
Zombie na Zombie,
Re: Shocking: Only 35% Registered Nigerians Voted In April Polls- Inec by Kobojunkie: 4:47pm On Jun 10, 2011
Bintus2much:

“The National Assembly elections, the presidential election, the gubernatorial and state assembly elections conducted in April showed that voters’ turnout hovered around 35 per cent. This ugly scenario has implications for popular participation and governance.”

According to him, the commission is determined to increase participation in the election processes.

INEC chairman added, “We, as a commission, are determined to enlarge participation in the election processes as a well cherished means of aggregating preferences. “This is because an apathetic citizenry contributes to wastage of investments committed to procuring sensitive election materials as well as money spent on voter education activities and election personnel remuneration.”

He explained that an apathetic citizenry contributed to wastage of investments in sensitive election materials and money spent on voter registration.

The Friedrich Ebert Stiftung Foundation identified lack of transparent elections, election violence and politicians’ non-committal to their campaign promises as major reasons for voters’ apathy in the country.

WOW . . . the guy even blames Nigerians for wastage that occured during the elections. ROFLMAO!!
Re: Shocking: Only 35% Registered Nigerians Voted In April Polls- Inec by djcrucifix(m): 5:08pm On Jun 10, 2011
stale news, we don vote finish, on to the next one abeg!
Re: Shocking: Only 35% Registered Nigerians Voted In April Polls- Inec by Afritelly: 5:36pm On Jun 10, 2011
Hmmm, it is not the first time happening naija. I wish we should divide Nigeria country into Hausa, Igbo and Yoruba. They should go and form their countries.
Re: Shocking: Only 35% Registered Nigerians Voted In April Polls- Inec by oohunt: 5:42pm On Jun 10, 2011
INEC make sure that next time you do not disappoint your voters by cancelling the election ON the day of the election and postponing the elections. This mishap alone deterred people from voting. I know many people who did not go back to vote after the postponement. Stick to the dates and dont go back and forth.
Again, voting should be made easier. People registered in their hometowns/villages. They had already planned their vacations to suit the election dates. I personally did not vote for any governor because I had already booked my flight to be in my village for Easter, !?
Could all the voting not have been done on one day
We should really learn how to make things easy for each other in this country and not cause our neighbour hardship.
I strongly believe that if our leaders want to do something, they can do it. Nigeria is qualified to have a electronic voting system. But since some people don't want things to go the right way, it wont happen.

Dividing the country will not solve our problems.
Re: Shocking: Only 35% Registered Nigerians Voted In April Polls- Inec by proudly9ja(m): 5:48pm On Jun 10, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Not really shocking.

The whole thing is just messy.

Nigerians may not have voted for GEJ, but they're just not bothered with the result. Why?

1. Anything apart from a Norther/ SW'ner president is Liberation, no matter how incompetent GEJ is.

2. Supposedly, this election emphasized "democracy" in Nigeria because GEJ is not from the big-3 majority.

3. "No more zoning".

This is just so messed up.

Even if it's 35% that showed up, how's that GEJ's fault? They decided not to vote, those who did or who rigged for him chose him.

Abeg, let water pass under the bridge jor. Can we get to work?

The truth is we cannot really 'get to work' if we do not outline some of our faults and try to solve them. Its cos of corruption that NEPA isn't working. It's this same corruption that allows reps to earn millions per month while the ordinary citizens have to beg to get 18000 per month. Its the same corruption that adds 1 million votes to 1 million votes and gives us 10million.

If people did not scream out at the fraud called IWU, there would not have been a Jega. If we do not outline Jega's faults, we will have the same rubbish in 2015. This time, it may have gone the way of many (i.e. Jonathan becoming president). In 2015, it could be a different story all together
Re: Shocking: Only 35% Registered Nigerians Voted In April Polls- Inec by shoboy9: 5:49pm On Jun 10, 2011
Does this mean the entire election is legally invalid? Morally its obviously wrong for 35% to determine the future of ppl for next 4yrs but legally is there any provision in the constitution for that?
Re: Shocking: Only 35% Registered Nigerians Voted In April Polls- Inec by Kobojunkie: 5:56pm On Jun 10, 2011
shoboy9:

Does this mean the entire election is legally invalid? Morally its obviously wrong for 35% to determine the future of ppl for next 4yrs but legally is there any provision in the constitution for that?

There is no problem with 35% of voters only going out to vote. I mean those who voted are not to blame for the 65% who chose not to. What is wrong is this is that INEC only recognizes that about 35% of registered voters really voted BUT the reality is the number of votes counted outnumber that by about 20%. So, where did the ~20% or more come from, and why did INEC declare the election results valid at the end of the day?

Also, why is INEC now pretending the people were responsible for the waste of materials when INEC had the job of curbing waste?
Re: Shocking: Only 35% Registered Nigerians Voted In April Polls- Inec by jmaine: 5:59pm On Jun 10, 2011
Some people are casting wrong aspersion on the 35% by linking those indices only to the presidential election . . . What the INEC information did not reveal clearly is whether the 35 % was the average turn over rate for all the conducted election polls or was per senate/house of rep , Presidential and Gubernatorial poll respectively. . and until the true positions are specified , then all those ranting foul play are misguided . .You feel INEC did not factor in all polled results to come to this conclusion . .  It's JEGA for God's sake and a professor at that . .  
Re: Shocking: Only 35% Registered Nigerians Voted In April Polls- Inec by ddippset(m): 6:12pm On Jun 10, 2011
firstly 35% of 70 million is 24 million. what was the total of buhari's and GEJ's votes again? cant really remember. and who's to blame for the voter apathy; registration commenced 4 or 5 days late and even voting commenced hours late.
Re: Shocking: Only 35% Registered Nigerians Voted In April Polls- Inec by Kobojunkie: 6:21pm On Jun 10, 2011
^^^ Goodluck Jonathan alone got more than 22 million votes during the presidential election. 31 million votes were recorded during the State/House of Assembly election, and about 26 million votes were collected for the gubernatorial election.
Re: Shocking: Only 35% Registered Nigerians Voted In April Polls- Inec by efisher(m): 6:25pm On Jun 10, 2011
jmaine:

Some people are casting wrong aspersion on the 35% by linking those indices only to the presidential election . . .What the INEC information did not reveal clearly is whether the 35 % was the average turn over rate for all the conducted election polls or was per senate/house of rep , Presidential and Gubernatorial poll respectively. . and until the true positions are specified , then all those ranting foul play are misguided . .You feel INEC did not factor in all polled results to come to this conclusion . .  It's JEGA for God's sake and a professor at that . .  

Exactly. People just jump on a subject to comment without thinking deeply.
Re: Shocking: Only 35% Registered Nigerians Voted In April Polls- Inec by ddippset(m): 6:30pm On Jun 10, 2011
efisher:

Exactly. People just jump on a subject to comment without thinking deeply.
he should make explicit statements then and avoid controversies. need i remind you IWU WAS A PROFESSOR TOO.
Re: Shocking: Only 35% Registered Nigerians Voted In April Polls- Inec by efisher(m): 6:52pm On Jun 10, 2011
Jega said,
“That there exists voter apathy in Nigeria is no longer contentious. Voter turnout in the just concluded general elections had provided a scientific and empirical evidence of the existence of voter apathy and disinterestedness of sections of the electorate in elections.

The National Assembly elections, the presidential election, the gubernatorial and state assembly elections conducted in April showed that voters’ turnout hovered around 35 per cent. This ugly scenario has implications for popular participation and governance.”

We should learn to analyze the issue in the proper context. The figure could be the mean, median or mode of all the elections conducted. Also take note of the words "hovered around". It could have ranged from 25% to over 50% in the various elections. If the press needed more detail, they could have as well gone to INEC to ask for it.

The truth is we just like to make an issue out of the unimportant things. The big issue in the story is the Voter Apathy but we have chosen to focus on how dumb we think Jega is. I have often asked and I ask again: Who is actually dumb?
Re: Shocking: Only 35% Registered Nigerians Voted In April Polls- Inec by Akainzo(m): 7:17pm On Jun 10, 2011
efisher:

Jega said,
We should learn to analyze the issue in the proper context. The figure could be the mean, median or mode of all the elections conducted. Also take note of the words "hovered around". It could have ranged from 25% to over 50% in the various elections. If the press needed more detail, they could have as well gone to INEC to ask for it.

The truth is we just like to make an issue out of the unimportant things. The big issue in the story is the Voter Apathy but we have chosen to focus on how dumb we think Jega is. I have often asked and I ask again: Who is actually dumb?

Maybe you would benefit by understanding statistics. A figure of 25% -50% as you alluded to is not termed "hovering around", hovering around is a term for +/-10% maximum, and that would still give you 39% max.
That Jega is a Prof implies that he must understand what he is saying and therefore we need not try to give it another meaning.

Is it not the voter apathy that lead to the "hover around 35%' turn out? Or am I missing something else. What some are saying is simple: With an average voter turnout of around 35%, where did the figures for the presidential elections come from? Could there have been voter apathy on that day or was it that voter apathy disappeared on that day but surfaced on every other election day?
Re: Shocking: Only 35% Registered Nigerians Voted In April Polls- Inec by luluosas(m): 7:29pm On Jun 10, 2011
INEC should break down their 35% of 70 million in all the elections, so that we can understand them better, because, Presidential election alone was 38,209,978 valid votes casts, according to INEC report on[b] http://www.inecnigeria.org/results/presidential/[/b], which represent a total of 52% turnout of the 73,528,040 registered voters by INEC http://www.inecnigeria.org/a-release-certified-voters%E2%80%99-register-2011/. I hope, they will present this in their defence on the CPC legal challenge of the Presidential elections.
Re: Shocking: Only 35% Registered Nigerians Voted In April Polls- Inec by efisher(m): 7:35pm On Jun 10, 2011
Akainzo:

Maybe you would benefit by understanding statistics. A figure of 25% -50% as you alluded to is not termed "hovering around", hovering around is a term for +/-10% maximum, and that would still give you 39% max.

@ Akainzo, If you read my post properly, I used the words "It could have ranged from . . .". That means I am using arbitrary figures to drive home a point. Then again, you left the substance of my post and went after the chaff. Anyway, I am not here to debate statistics neither am I here to struggle about English Language or Mathematics. What Jega meant by "hover around" is subject to further debate. Funny enough, you made the same point some of us are trying to point out here:

Akainzo:

That Jega is a Prof implies that he must understand what he is saying and therefore we need not try to give it another meaning.

For clarity, my point is we do not have to call the man dumb before we understand how he arrived at 35%. We should seek to understand and make sensible comments on whatever we want to. Everybody is free to fault the turnout of the presidential election based on the finding but dismissing the 35% mentioned by Jega without seeking to understand is myopic.
Re: Shocking: Only 35% Registered Nigerians Voted In April Polls- Inec by luluosas(m): 7:46pm On Jun 10, 2011
2011 INEC Elections Results:
1. Presidential http://www.inecnigeria.org/results/presidential/
2. Governorship http://www.inecnigeria.org/results/gubernatorial/
3. Senate http://www.inecnigeria.org/results/senate/
4. House of Representatives http://www.inecnigeria.org/results/reps/
5. States House of Assembly http://www.inecnigeria.org/results/state_houses/

Please, lets check this results to counter what Jeda said.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Rivers PDP Disqualifies 16 Governorship Aspirants / (photo)check Out A Real Politician Before And After Election / Bola Tinubu and PMB - Cramjones

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.