Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,480 members, 7,819,751 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:18 PM

April Polls: Inec Adopts Modified Open Secret Ballot - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / April Polls: Inec Adopts Modified Open Secret Ballot (6068 Views)

20 Days To Polls: INEC’s New Rule Sparks Rigging Fears / April Polls: Lynch anybody who attempts to rig, Buhari tells Nigerians / Fashola Challenges Fg To Public Debate Ahead Of April Polls (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

April Polls: Inec Adopts Modified Open Secret Ballot by BetaThings: 7:41am On Mar 15, 2011
http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2011/mar/14/national-14-03-2011-001.htm

Excerpts

Against the tradition for general elections, the electoral commission, has also resolved to do away with the federal civil servants and school teachers as ad-hoc staff for the elections, as findings by the commission had revealed that these categories of people have ended being potential collaborators for election rigging and sundry electoral malpractices. Instead, the commission decided to continue with the deployment for electoral duties, of corps members, most of whom are serving in states other than those of their origin.

The MOBS, the REC explained was just a modified version of the popular open ballot system used in the June 12, 1993 elections widely acclaimed as the freest in the political annals of Nigeria. “The difference is that while open ballot exposed voters to everyone on their choice, the MOBS, though open but will allow voters make their choice secretly. “While accreditation and release of ballot papers to a voter could be done openly, the voter would thereafter retire to a secret place to exercise his franchise”, he stated.

The electoral commissioner explained further that accreditation of voters has been planned to take place at the same time throughout the federation while voting is also expected to start simultaneously. However, immediately after accreditation, a policeman would be made stand at the back of the last voter accredited so as to prevent non-accredited person to join the queue.

According to him, the meeting resolved that votes be counted and announced at the polling units, before it entered into the Form EC40, which would be signed by representatives of the various political parties, security agents, INEC officials and other relevant stakeholders and pasted at the voting unit immediately.
Said he:“Once accreditation stops, voting commences immediately. Before the commencement of voting, the number of accredited voters would be counted and the number of votes should not be more than accredited voters, it should be less.

The result of the election would be announced on the spot and filled into Form EC40 which will be pasted on the wall at the voting units and signed by all relevant stakeholders.
Re: April Polls: Inec Adopts Modified Open Secret Ballot by Pukkah: 9:36am On Mar 15, 2011
This sounds good and it has removed some of the disadvantages associated with open ballot system while taking its advantages. I hope it works. We just have to get the process of electing our leaders right.

That is a bloodless way of kicking out buffoons and scoundrels that dot the political landscape as leaders at various levels. The best of us must be the ones leading us and the way to achieve that is to get elections right.
Re: April Polls: Inec Adopts Modified Open Secret Ballot by otokx(m): 12:41pm On Mar 15, 2011
Story story
Re: April Polls: Inec Adopts Modified Open Secret Ballot by texazzpete(m): 12:55pm On Mar 15, 2011
otokx:

Story story

The only reason why this may fail is because of the rascally and unscrupulous nature of very many Nigerians who will seek out ways to disrupt the system.

SO instead of saying 'Story, Story', why not make a commitment to everyone here that you will monitor the elections in your own polling unit, stay until the voting is concluded and then wait for the count.

I am going to demand this of every one who feels that the elections will be an exercise in futility.
Re: April Polls: Inec Adopts Modified Open Secret Ballot by jude33084(m): 12:56pm On Mar 15, 2011
Pukkah:

This sounds good and it has removed some of the disadvantages associated with open ballot system while taking its advantages. I hope it works. We just have to get the process of electing our leaders right.

That is a bloodless way of kicking out buffoons and scoundrels that dot the political landscape as leaders at various levels. The best of us must be the ones leading us and the way to achieve that is to get elections right.

I PITTY YOU WELL, WELL MY GUY wink

MAKE READ BTW LINES cool
Re: April Polls: Inec Adopts Modified Open Secret Ballot by Pukkah: 1:05pm On Mar 15, 2011
jude33084:

I PITTY YOU WELL, WELL MY GUY wink

MAKE READ BTW LINES cool

Please point out where the pity is. The fact is that this system does not promise to eliminate rigging but to reduce or minimize it.
Re: April Polls: Inec Adopts Modified Open Secret Ballot by JUO(m): 1:14pm On Mar 15, 2011
cool but will it work?
Re: April Polls: Inec Adopts Modified Open Secret Ballot by Nobody: 1:17pm On Mar 15, 2011
Talk is cheap, let them implement it for us to see
Re: April Polls: Inec Adopts Modified Open Secret Ballot by campella(m): 1:36pm On Mar 15, 2011
The quesyion is, are these people not the same old ones?

Make man pikin rest o jare

Whatever will be will be.

This na naija
Re: April Polls: Inec Adopts Modified Open Secret Ballot by javalove(m): 1:46pm On Mar 15, 2011
ABEG IF U ARE A CORPER AND SERVING. . .PLEASE AND PLEASE DONT WASTE YOUR LIFE!!!!!!!

DONT ACCEPT THIS RUBBISH!!!

UNLESS THEY CAN GUARANTEE YOUR SAFETY. . .ESPECIALLY IN THE NORTH

ELSE WE WILL BE COUNTING CORPER CORPSES

#Javalove. . .unless otherwise stated. . .!
Re: April Polls: Inec Adopts Modified Open Secret Ballot by GOZILLA(m): 1:53pm On Mar 15, 2011
Akuko! Who told them that elections are rigged at the polling station?
Re: April Polls: Inec Adopts Modified Open Secret Ballot by Nobody: 2:05pm On Mar 15, 2011
GOZILLA:

My worse fear
Re: April Polls: Inec Adopts Modified Open Secret Ballot by lookmangiw(m): 3:09pm On Mar 15, 2011
Infact i'm more than over joy about this process and decision of INEC under the stewardship of our great Prof.i think its going to achieve the same feat the june 12 election made if we stand for it and make sure that the election manipulators and riggers dont hijack the process.great thanks to Prof. attahiru Jega, And dont forget to VOTE FOR ACN in the forthcoming election.God bless Nigeria.
Re: April Polls: Inec Adopts Modified Open Secret Ballot by HamidO1(m): 3:25pm On Mar 15, 2011
Sounds good, Implementing this might be a problem though with political thugs always at hand to cause problems. I like the idea of pasting the results immediately, I pray such results doesn't change during compilation at inec collation centers.
Re: April Polls: Inec Adopts Modified Open Secret Ballot by LiftedUp(m): 3:28pm On Mar 15, 2011

Posted by: otokx  
Story story

Posted by: texazzpete  
Insert Quote
Quote from: otokx on Today at 12:41:08 PM
Story story

The only reason why this may fail is because of the rascally and unscrupulous nature of very many Nigerians who will seek out ways to disrupt the system.

SO instead of saying 'Story, Story', why not make a commitment to everyone here that you will monitor the elections in your own polling unit, stay until the voting is concluded and then wait for the count.

I am going to demand this of every one who feels that the elections will be an exercise in futility.  

I totally support your view texazzpete smiley. otokx  please this is an issue which concerns not just our future but that of those of our children. It will be nice to share constructive views and not just add lame comments sad which derails us from engaging in intellectual discussions, please take note. angry
Re: April Polls: Inec Adopts Modified Open Secret Ballot by HamidO1(m): 3:30pm On Mar 15, 2011
lookmangiw:

Infact i'm more than over joy about this process and decision of INEC under the stewardship of our great Prof.i think its going to achieve the same feat the june 12 election made if we stand for it and make sure that the election manipulators and riggers dont hijack the process.great thanks to Prof. attahiru Jega, And dont forget to VOTE FOR ACN in the forthcoming election.God bless Nigeria.

God bless you my brother, make sure you give that one vote to Ribadu/Adeola,
Re: April Polls: Inec Adopts Modified Open Secret Ballot by Pukkah: 3:45pm On Mar 15, 2011
GOZILLA:

Elections may not be rigged AT the polling stations but elections are rigged FROM the polling stations. 

It was the open ballot system that made it possible for us to know the results (from the polling centres, to LGAs, to states) of June 12 elections even before they were declared by Prof. Humphrey Nwosu.

I repeat, open ballot system makes rigging more difficult. Anyone with a counter evidence of this should say it.  We should not be stoic or hopeless about Nigeria and its future.  Have we any other place to call ours?
Re: April Polls: Inec Adopts Modified Open Secret Ballot by dejavume: 3:52pm On Mar 15, 2011
BCOZ ELECTIONS WERE BEING RIGGED DOES NOT MEAN WE SHOULD SIT DOWN LOOK WHILE THE INNOCENTS ARE BEING ROBBED OF THIER CIVIC RIGHT.
LET US STAND UP NOW AND MAKE SURE THIS ELECTION WAS NOT RIGGED.
2003 AND 2007,VOTERS STOOD TO THEIR GROUND DURING AND AFTER ELECTION TO MAKE SURE THAT THEIR VOTES COUNTED,FROM POLLING UNIT TO INEC OFFICE,THAT HAPPENED IN BAUCHI AND KANO STATE.THE SAME CAN BE DONE IN OTHER PARTS OF THE COUNTRY.
DEFEND UR VOTE!!!!!!!!
Re: April Polls: Inec Adopts Modified Open Secret Ballot by iloro: 3:59pm On Mar 15, 2011
If we all play our basic civic responsibilities to the best we will elect credible leaders and our country will be better for it.
The era or SIDDON LOOK should be gone for ever.Now is our chance to start getting it right.
Re: April Polls: Inec Adopts Modified Open Secret Ballot by mykali(m): 4:08pm On Mar 15, 2011
The damn security should be beefed up in the North. Those guys value politics more than crude oil
Re: April Polls: Inec Adopts Modified Open Secret Ballot by malali: 4:21pm On Mar 15, 2011
PRAISE THE LORD,
BBELUYAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PRAISE THE LORD,
BBELUYAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PRAISE THE LORD,
BBELUYAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PRAISE THE LORD,
BBELUYAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PRAISE THE LORD,
BBELUYAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PRAISE THE LORD,
BBELUYAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PRAISE THE LORD,
BBELUYAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PRAISE THE LORD,
BBELUYAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: April Polls: Inec Adopts Modified Open Secret Ballot by Nobody: 4:50pm On Mar 15, 2011
“While accreditation and release of ballot papers to a voter could be done openly, the voter would thereafter retire to a secret place to exercise his franchise”, he stated.

I first of all want to raise eyebrow when you mentioned that the voter would retire to a secret place to exercise his franchise because it is possible for some unscrupulous elements to "pour" votes into ballot boxes. However, when I considered that the voters will be accredited and they will be made to queue before the commencement of the election and that the votes counted must not be more than "accredited" and not "registered" voters in the polling boot, I believe it will be most unlikely not possible to rig through that means. However, paid hoodlums can disrupt the exercise. INEC and security operatives should be watchful and ready to combat thuggery at pooling boots cross nation.

This time around, we no go gree!!!!!!
Re: April Polls: Inec Adopts Modified Open Secret Ballot by ziccoit: 5:36pm On Mar 15, 2011
Do you think Nigerians are fool? They have rapped Nigeria by rigging elections three times. Look, this is the best we can have and INEC should be commended. In fact it is going to be better than what we had during June 12?

Voters get accredited at the same time all over the country.
Only the accredited ones within the time frame will be allowed vote.
Votes are counted in pooling unit as against INEC headquarters.
Party representative on ground sign in agreement.
The results are pasted there and then.

At this point I just need to bring out my GSM phones starting calling my friends in different pooling units in each ward, from there I graduate to calling them at wards level in my local government, then catapult to each local government in my state, then moving up to each state of Federation.

So in actual fact I would be able to know the results of elections at each level before the final results is announced by INEC. With this, nobody could rig my elections. The ballot box snatcher would be useless as the box would be snatched at pooling units only to miraculously appear in the INEC headquarters for counting. Even, the elections tribunal would be robust this time around.
Re: April Polls: Inec Adopts Modified Open Secret Ballot by ziccoit: 5:37pm On Mar 15, 2011
Do you think Nigerians are fool? They have rapped Nigeria by rigging elections three times. Look, this is the best we can have and INEC should be commended. In fact it is going to be better than what we had during June 12?

Voters get accredited at the same time all over the country.
Only the accredited ones within the time frame will be allowed vote.
Votes are counted in pooling unit as against INEC headquarters.
Party representative on ground sign in agreement.
The results are pasted there and then.

At this point I just need to bring out my GSM phones starting calling my friends in different pooling units in each ward, from there I graduate to calling them at wards level in my local government, then catapult to each local government in my state, then moving up to each state of Federation.

So in actual fact I would be able to know the results of elections at each level before the final results is announced by INEC. With this, nobody could rig my elections. The ballot box snatcher would be useless as the box would be snatched at pooling units only to miraculously appear in the INEC headquarters for counting. Even, the elections tribunal would be robust this time around.
Re: April Polls: Inec Adopts Modified Open Secret Ballot by Ikengawo: 6:31pm On Mar 15, 2011
there's also the World Is Watch movement which is simply encouraging youths to go to the booths with their cell phone and record any irregularities, so if this policy isn't followed it will broadcast all over nigeria and the world by youths.

http://www.facebook.com/search.php?q=world+is+watching&init=quick&tas=search_preload&search_first_focus=1300210175386#!/home.php?sk=group_182657265111462
Re: April Polls: Inec Adopts Modified Open Secret Ballot by MeGaStReEt: 7:42pm On Mar 15, 2011
same ol' story
Re: April Polls: Inec Adopts Modified Open Secret Ballot by sweet9ja: 10:58pm On Mar 15, 2011
MeGaStReEt:

same ol' story

At least they are trying to do something about rigging.
You can be a part the change too, don't just sit there and complain.
Re: April Polls: Inec Adopts Modified Open Secret Ballot by agoshofin(m): 11:36pm On Mar 15, 2011
i only hope it works,
Re: April Polls: Inec Adopts Modified Open Secret Ballot by oge4real(f): 11:59pm On Mar 15, 2011
why doing away with teacrs and civil servants and still retain the Nigerian Police?
Re: April Polls: Inec Adopts Modified Open Secret Ballot by edoboi: 1:46am On Mar 16, 2011
rebrand naija 2ru your votes video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NGmS1brEtM
Re: April Polls: Inec Adopts Modified Open Secret Ballot by SSaemoenl(m): 1:53am On Mar 16, 2011
If this will make PDP loss the general election, So in support of it, After, we'll modify it to int'l standard. Please, Remove SENTIMENT, PDP sucks. Our future should be put first. Ciao

Re: April Polls: Inec Adopts Modified Open Secret Ballot by awuf2008: 7:57am On Mar 16, 2011
Similar thing happen in june 12,1993 when the Election was adjudged the most freeest and fairest election in Naija yet it was annulled. So lets wait til then. Na naija we dey now.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ojo Maduekwe In Government, Again? / I Had A Strange Dream Last Night / I’m Not Interested In Becoming PDP Chairman — Bode George

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.