Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,993 members, 7,821,469 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:22 PM

He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. (10317 Views)

He Graduated 11 Years Ago With 2:2 And Just Discovered That It's A Mistake / Linda Iheme Gets 5 Distinctions In Medical Sch.UNIBEN (Pic + Profile) / Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by marabout(m): 7:37pm On Jun 12, 2011
Most Dads wouold be reasonably happy with a 2.2 BUT perhaps his dad feels that he underutilised his potential.

If you are a dullard, your dad would he happy with a 2.2.  If you were a 1st class material having been through good schools and lots of family support, then parents might be disappointed.

But what he lacks in top grade, he can make up for with hard work and hussler spirit. Grade is not everything.
2 of England's richest men: Green and Bronson only had a GCSE, comparable to NECO or GCE o'level.

I narrowly missed a 1st class perhaps because of having to work to support myself (I no be one of  those ajebutta they send come study abroad), so as a mature student with responsibilities and no restriction on how many hours I could do, I worked like mad.

Lots of guys who had a 2.2 found jobs with Foreign & Commonwealth Office, MoD, DoH. The good old days in London.
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by nat138: 7:42pm On Jun 12, 2011
tom28:

In nigerian universities getting first class these days is not a measure of one"s intelligence.The lecturer expects u to give him word for word in his note or handout on the day of exams and in some cases if he give you wrong values and you try to corrrect him on this u incur his wrath and he threatens u with failure.So in order not to step on his path if he gives you a wrong value on the day of exam also give him back the wrong value on you are on your way in getting a first class.Nigerian education is pure garbage anyway lipsrsealed

Please can you and many others on this topic stop this unfounded generalization 'in Nigerian Universities'. How many Nigerian Universities have you attended and please bear in mind that there are over 100 of them, so if you have not attended at least 60 of these universities, you can not just carry on generalising as if you are the Chairman of the Nigerian Universities Commission. What happens in school A is completely different from what happens in school B.

In my academic pursuit, I was privileged to attend 2 Universities in Nigeria, and both of them operate as differently as day and night. So please and please can you people get your facts right before you come here and vomit unfounded generalizations. And please mind you there are still good universities in Nigeria, and I am not talking of the private ones. There are still very good government owned universities in Nigeria.

Cheers
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by Nobody: 7:51pm On Jun 12, 2011
I wonder why the dad is being hostile to his son   undecided, a 2.2 degree is not the end of the world. He should encourage him to study for an higher degree to make up for the 2.2. If job advert says 2.1 or higher, then he can present his MSc or even study for a PhD after and become a university tutor. My former boss at work does not even have a degree certificate but became oga in a top UK Bank through hard work, diligence and high degree of intelligence, she currently manages a team of 12 people with B.Sc and Masters degree in accountancy, business, law Engineering e.t.c

Even the last series of Lords sugar, The Apprentice, was worn by a lady called Stella English, Head of Business Management on the trading floor of a Japanese investment bank, despite leaving school with no qualifications!!!  shocked   She defeated Chris Bates, a 1st class honors graduate from the University of Nottingham that quit his investment banking job at JP Morgan to appear on the show.

Well, maybe what is obtainable in a developed country is different from that of a developing country.
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by ayubam: 7:54pm On Jun 12, 2011
nat138:

Please can you and many others on this topic stop this unfounded generalization 'in Nigerian Universities'. How many Nigerian Universities have you attended and please bear in mind that there are over 100 of them, so if you have not attended at least 60 of these universities, you can not just carry on generalising as if you are the Chairman of the Nigerian Universities Commission. What happens in school A is completely different from what happens in school B.

In my academic pursuit, I was privileged to attend 2 Universities in Nigeria, and both of them operate as differently as day and night. So please and please can you people get your facts right before you come here and vomit unfounded generalizations. And please mind you there are still good universities in Nigeria, and I am not talking of the private ones. There are still very good government owned universities in Nigeria.

Cheers

Nat138, I agree with the above that people should not hastily generalize but can I ask you to name those good govt universities in naija and ur measure of how good they are?

Is it Staff/student ratio, quality of research, curriculum review to suit mkt place or what? Please I am interested cos many of us really do not know what is wrong with Nigeria Educational System and I say that with all humility.

I can talk about sciences and engrg cos that was what I ready in naija. EG mention any naija university (govt) owned that has reviewed the Engrg Dept curriculum in the last ten years to suit mkt place. Mention the courses abolished as now irrelevant and new courses introduced. Is it not in Naija that pride in a school where the HOD will be happy that 70% of his class had less than C in a course and we all agree that the standard of the school is high when in the real educational sense, it shows failure of learning?

I am waiting please,
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by Nobody: 8:51pm On Jun 12, 2011
There're good universities in Nigeria, name one. How can you get good things from Universities when O'level results are mostly fake? They are fished out at US Embassy.People can't show little things on how they got their As and Bs.
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by chigo4u: 8:54pm On Jun 12, 2011
Maybe the guy na still mummys pet. How graduate go allow the stuff bother am instead of trying to pursue what he desires. Get masters or more certs. The guys na dummy. This is a graduate for real not secondary schl or something. You should be planning your future rather than worry abt what your father making you feel bad. Pet.

1 Like

Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by lolatom: 9:23pm On Jun 12, 2011
The quality of graduates Nigerian Universities produce yearly is nothing to write home about. How many of these lecturers understand what they teach students? You can't give what you don't have.

In my 4yrs as a Computer Science Student I never made use of any Computer in the School as there were no such facilities

In my 3rd year, a particular lecturer(BABA KENYA) told us at our first lecture in the first semester that He was very sure less than 30 percent of the class would pass his course and he was very true to his words.

Employement in Nigeria should be based solely on aptitude tests and the quality of answers graduates give during interviews.

Who says a 2.1 can't be bought in naija? I personally know someone who had a 2.1 and never wrote exams all through his 4years.
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by emmatok(m): 9:31pm On Jun 12, 2011
marabout:

Most Dads wouold be reasonably happy with a 2.2 BUT perhaps his dad feels that he underutilised his potential.

If you are a dullard, your dad would he happy with a 2.2.  If you were a 1st class material having been through good schools and lots of family support, then parents might be disappointed.

But what he lacks in top grade, he can make up for with hard work and hussler spirit. Grade is not everything.
2 of England's richest men: Green and Bronson only had a GCSE, comparable to NECO or GCE o'level.

I narrowly missed a 1st class perhaps because of having to work to support myself (I no be one of  those ajebutta they send come study abroad), so as a mature student with responsibilities and no restriction on how many hours I could do, I worked like mad.

Lots of guys who had a 2.2 found jobs with Foreign & Commonwealth Office, MoD, DoH. The good old days in London.

That is the point i am making in bold.

If his result from 100L has been 3.0 or higher. The dad will be disappointed the son graduated with 2.2. thinking he relax on his final year.

I am not saying 2.2 is bad . But the father has s reason for showing concern.
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by Wizardofoz: 9:36pm On Jun 12, 2011
lolatom:

The quality of graduates Nigerian Universities produce yearly is nothing to write home about. How many of these lecturers understand what they teach students? You can't give what you don't have.

In my 4yrs as a Computer Science Student I never made use of any Computer in the School as there were no such facilities

In my 3rd year, a particular lecturer(BABA KENYA) told us at our first lecture in the first semester that He was very sure less than 30 percent of the class would pass his course and he was very true to his words.

Employement in Nigeria should be based solely on aptitude tests and the quality of answers graduates give during interviews.

Who says a 2.1 can't be bought in naija? I personally know someone who had a 2.1 and never wrote exams all through his 4years.

Me too, I personally of someone, actually more than one, who made 1st class and never even wrote JAMB. They all got 1st class without ever stepping on campus Talk about miracles, TB Joshua style! BTW, I am one of those people, just so you know.

I also know this lady who doesnt shyyyyyt

And me, I know me, myself, I dont eat.
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by emmatok(m): 9:38pm On Jun 12, 2011
lolatom:

The quality of graduates Nigerian Universities produce yearly is nothing to write home about.  How many of these lecturers understand what they teach students? You can't give what you don't have.

Man 2.1 cannot be bought in most Federal University in Nigeria.

Go check the statistics how many 2.1 do most of this  Federal University produce.

The Professors on the School Senate  don't just give people 2.1.
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by ayubam: 9:43pm On Jun 12, 2011
ferdiii:

There're good universities in Nigeria, name one. How can you get good things from Universities when O'level results are mostly fake? They are fished out at US Embassy.People can't show little things on how they got their As and Bs.

My guy, the question is to name a good university in naija and tell us the criteria for such grading as good. As per SSCE results, it was not so before now until very late in the Nineties and the 2000 upwards and they are not the ones to fix university system. Many still go through the university predegree programme yet the predegree did not detect the error. What do u make of that?
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by pereze: 9:53pm On Jun 12, 2011
ayubam:

Check out of the following?

Gani Fawehinmi-------------- 3rd Class

Wole Soyinka,     3rd class

Olubi Johnson--------------    1st class

David Oyedepo                     HND class unknown

Pat Utomi,    I dont know his class

Okojonwela ,        1st class i think

Soludo,                 Class Unkown

Dora ,         Class Unknown

Dele Oladeji -----                 1st class (1991 2nd best Maths student in AFrica from Abadina college) Now a director in coca cola USA

Chinua Achebe-------           failed medicine 2ce and sent packing from medical school

and look for more list. Something more than class of grade distinguished them.

DORA----1st Class( UNN)
SOLUDO---1st Class (UNN)
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by hackney(m): 9:53pm On Jun 12, 2011
After all that tuition fees why would you make a 2.2? ?
(which is like a CGP of aound 2.5)

Bonehead!
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by ayubam: 9:57pm On Jun 12, 2011
This is the summary of the whole matter:

To succeed in Life, You need a first class brain given by God only not necessarily a first class grade. After all not everyone would be first class in a set but all have potential to succeed.

Anyone can continue to argue with the above but you cannot prove that wrong.

First Class grade is a show of deligence, hardwork, resilence, consistency intelligence etc but does not necessary make you outstanding in market place.

I regret not having it, I love people who made it, respect them but do not feel inferior before them cos I know what I carry and where it matters, some who made it have asked why you should have made it but i simply replied maybe so that people like you will know there is more to success than the grade.

Let everyone strive for excellence but the worst thing for a student is to be rejected by his father on this premise, the question should have been what next after your dismal performance? Maybe the father even made the guy do a wrong course ooo who knows? My son must be a doctor or lawyer or engineer where the guy could have been outstanding as a Physicist.
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by ayubam: 10:04pm On Jun 12, 2011
pereze:

DORA----1st Class( UNN)
SOLUDO---1st Class (UNN)

Thank you my guy. I do not know. Comparing those guys with one another, who is a failure?

Was Gani a failure? What of Wole Soyinka, or Chinua Achebe? What about Pat Utomi?

Fola Adeola (HND), Bill Gate (drop out), El Rufai (first Class) etc . Something make them outstanding which is not only the grade.

First Class is good and all should strive towards it but do not define a man by that only. My message
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by LongOne1(m): 10:15pm On Jun 12, 2011
@ OP, 2.2 isn't the end of the world; your friend just needs to be more determined than ever to make it in life.

We all have talents (Our calling), and we can only be truly successful when we discover and follow what ours is. After all, what we are taught in school was discovered by someone (Their own talent). Education just fast tracks us, bypassing the wrong results to arrive at the established result. Except, in the process, we discover a completely new one (innovation). That's why you hear terms like 'best practice' as there isn't always one solution.

Take this simple analogy 1+1=2. The Mathematician that discovered this must have tried putting 1+1 to get 3 or 4 and realized it could only lead to 2. So you are taught this in school and expected to memorize this through examinations. Each time you get it wrong, you are only repeating a mistake the original person made.

My point is a 2.2 student can still follow all the known paths i.e. 1+1=2, and discover a new one/innovate, if that’s his calling. It could also be in another field, music, movies, e.t.c. You must have heard of Millionaires today who dropped out from school and still came out successful, No?

Bottom-line: You don't drown by falling in water, but by staying there.
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by MeandSum: 11:03pm On Jun 12, 2011
Wizardofoz:

I know him.

So he finshed with a 3rd class? As in a 3rd class brain? And you, if we are to go by genomics, have a third class brain? Not to talk of the people that gave birth to you? And your kids would have.      .      .   maybe I should stop now. grin

Orisirisi!

Anyway, congrats to you and your brother, Mr. 3rd class brain from UI. This is one of the reasons this country will never move forward, nepotism and the elevation of mediocrity (3rd class-ism)  over excellence (1st class-ism). No wonder the whole BRT, and transportaion issues in Lagos, was poorly concieved and 'third-class-ically' implemented. When you allow '3rd class-tic' brains to run something, you should not expect a '1st-class-tic' result, or should we?

After all, you cant give what you dont hand.

Well, that's too low, you are an embarrassment to your parent.
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by Odunharry(m): 11:23pm On Jun 12, 2011
truth is our grades can help us secure our first job bt thereafter our working experience wil.
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by emiye(m): 12:51am On Jun 13, 2011
2-2 is not that bad, me thinks any uni graduate with less than that was not serious in school. The dad who got angry with him does not hate the boy , although might not understand what an average undegrads go through nowadays compared to some 20-30 years ago.

If the fear is that of getting a good job, it is well understood, but one thing is certain he might get a good job even before his mates with 2-1 and above , that is where God comes in .

Let the gee get stirred up, as much as possible develop himself, coz the job market in naija is not smiling.
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by Roland17(m): 5:29am On Jun 13, 2011
There is one thing am very sure about the Nigerian Educational system, and that is, despite the decay and absence of infrastructure, unresolved strikes etc, i am very proud to have had a bachelors in Nigeria. the system prepares you, especially if you are a hardworking student who believes in his/her ability, this thread is a 2 way situation, the dad has a right to feel sour about his results, considering how expensive it is to educate a child in Nigeria now, but the other aspect is, its difficult and wrong to judge human intelligence based on his/her graduating class.
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by Nija4Life(m): 6:15am On Jun 13, 2011
ayubam:

Nat138, I agree with the above that people should not hastily generalize but can I ask you to name those good govt universities in naija and your measure of how good they are?

Is it Staff/student ratio, quality of research, curriculum review to suit mkt place or what? Please I am interested cos many of us really do not know what is wrong with Nigeria Educational System and I say that with all humility.
I can talk about sciences and engrg cos that was what I ready in naija. EG mention any naija university (govt) owned that has reviewed the Engrg Dept curriculum in the last ten years to suit mkt place. Mention the courses abolished as now irrelevant and new courses introduced. Is it not in Naija that pride in a school where the HOD will be happy that 70% of his class had less than C in a course and we all agree that the standard of the school is high when in the real educational sense, it shows failure of learning?

I am waiting please,

You forgot to also mention the access to up-to-date books, literature and journals to facilitate research. What is the quality of the teaching staff? How are they recruited and is there an inspection regime in place to adequately monitor the quality of teaching and learning? How many scholars or academics have been cited in journals and academic publications? What is the quality of students recruited? How are these students recruited?

No Nigerian University or indeed an African University is in the top 500 in the world (http://www.arwu.org/ARWU2010.jsp) ~ as much as we understandably want to big up our own the truth is that our universities are not yet ready to compete in global academic excellence due to lack of investment and corruption in the university system. You cannot also discuss university education in isolation because they get their students from secondary schools and like we all know the standards of secondary education in Nigeria leaves a lot to be desired. The quality of the students a university gets goes some way to define a university and that definition isn’t a very good one in some cases.

http://hilonah-educationthatworksfornigeria..com
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by ayubam: 7:23am On Jun 13, 2011
Nija4Life:

You forgot to also mention the access to up-to-date books, literature and journals to facilitate research. What is the quality of the teaching staff? How are they recruited and is there an inspection regime in place to adequately monitor the quality of teaching and learning? How many scholars or academics have been cited in journals and academic publications? What is the quality of students recruited? How are these students recruited?

No Nigerian University or indeed an African University is in the top 500 in the world (http://www.arwu.org/ARWU2010.jsp) ~ as much as we understandably want to big up our own the truth is that our universities are not yet ready to compete in global academic excellence due to lack of investment and corruption in the university system. You cannot also discuss university education in isolation because they get their students from secondary schools and like we all know the standards of secondary education in Nigeria leaves a lot to be desired. The quality of the students a university gets goes some way to define a university and that definition isn’t a very good one in some cases.

http://hilonah-educationthatworksfornigeria..com

Thanks for the further comments. I think we all must rise and educate ourselves on the need to understand first what is wrong and how to move forward. Nigeria education system is really in shambles. Please note, I am not saying Nigerian students are not intelligent or better still if given the right opportunities, will not compete favourably with others in the world but the truth is that, in Nigerian University System, less emphasis is on learning. In fact for sciences and Engineering I know of, our curriculum are outdated and highly irrelevant in market place.

Majorities of our engineering graduates (1st class, 2.1 and 2.2 or whatever) are best reduce to doing technicians works in the industries. I worked in a breweries in Nigeria for 3months as a trainee engineer after my Undergraduates and with what I saw compare to what I know an Engineering graduate should do, it did not take me time to dump that work for banking without any higher pay. ( I have no course to lie). I just rediscovered mysef that I cannot complained all through work like I did in school and had to make a choice right on.

May I say some were so lucky who joined some multinational like P&G, Nigerian Breweeries, Guiness, NNPC, Shell and the like but I know what work experience our friends are doing in TEXAS after a 2nd degree in the USA as a researcher and designer and not machine users or repairers like the case of many engineering graduates in Nigeria with exceptions of few guys.

Most computer science students on our campuses still study cobols, Pascals, Fortran, Basic with few intro of new skills while they spent their time after school to learn Java, VB.net, C#, SQL. I remember I did a course in SQL in school which I scored B without access to any SQL server envt to write a simple code. All we did was to cram the codes, study AOC and pass and the first class among us who were not that lucky stayed back in school as Graduate assistant teaching other students in the same manner. It took drive to send some of them packing as they discovered they are really laid back with what is happening in the world.

Let us declare state of emergency in this sector and look for urgent solution. 1st Class students from MIT, Havard, Georgia Tech, Cal Tech, Oxford, Insead and other big schools are captains in industries in their research departments to introduce new policies to transform businesses across diverse coys, much cannot be said of ours. Many are out there locked up in banks and communications coys, oil coys just collecting fat salary without any significant impact on the society.

DO I HATE FIRST CLASS, CHECK MY PREVIOUS POST TO JUDGE BUT THE SYSTEM PRODUCING US IS STILL QUESTIONABLE.
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by Ayowumie(m): 8:02am On Jun 13, 2011
emiye:

2-2 is not that bad, me thinks any uni graduate with less than that was not serious in school. The dad who got angry with him does not hate the boy , although might not understand what an average undegrads go through nowadays compared to some 20-30 years ago.
There is no excuse for failure especially when success is defined as what your parents have in mind. My sponsor was constantly and vehemently reminding that I had to come out with 2.1 not only because of job opportunities but so as for me to earn his respect.
Personally, I wouldn't blame the father, I might also be hostile to my son for a while if i were in his shoes.
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by Emeka72(m): 8:50am On Jun 13, 2011
Maybe his Daddy was an Effiko(Effi-iwe) an iwe factorial who scored all the maximum points and got the best 1st class while in school.
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by Emeka72(m): 9:11am On Jun 13, 2011
Wait a minute, pls is the date on the dailies at d begining of this topic for last year's June or this year's?
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by maxygirl(f): 9:55am On Jun 13, 2011
Like my friend would say, the essence of making a first class is to show you are teachable, if you are not worthy of your class of degree, it shows eventually,
while i was in school, i struggled to make a first class because i wanted to do my parents proud-esp my mum and i did just that. i know a first class does not determine what you would be in future,
and truth be told, nobody goes to school with the intention of making a pass, so, it depends on wat u want. personally, i dont think any school should be blamed for your class of degree, no matter the structure you can still excel,
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by Syenite(m): 10:16am On Jun 13, 2011
No child of mine will come home with anything less than a first class.

The boy's response has shown that his father knows better than he does.
He(the father) was probably looking at it from the employment requirement angle. For those of you that are still in school and are running their mouths against the boy's father, if you don't make atleast a 2:1 ur chance of getting a good job is very slim. Most Oil companies, Banks and Telecom companies peg entry requirements at 2:1. Forget about man-know-man, it's only very few people that make it thru such. No company will want to flood it's offices and operations with mediocres. If you work very hard you can get that dream job without knowing even a cleaner in the company.

The boy saying it's only people that bribe lecturers that make 2:1 and above has shown that he is a mediocre. Ribbishhh.
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by chamber2(m): 10:41am On Jun 13, 2011
No child of mine will come home with anything less than a first class.

The boy's response has shown that his father knows better than he does.
He(the father) was probably looking at it from the employment requirement angle. For those of you that are still in school and are running their mouths against the boy's father, if you don't make atleast a 2:1 your chance of getting a good job is very slim. Most Oil companies, Banks and Telecom companies peg entry requirements at 2:1. Forget about man-know-man, it's only very few people that make it thru such. No company will want to flood it's offices and operations with mediocres. If you work very hard you can get that dream job without knowing even a cleaner in the company.

The boy saying it's only people that bribe lecturers that make 2:1 and above has shown that he is a mediocre. Ribbishhh.

What is your point?So making anything less than a 2.1 is a sign of mediocrity? Lame thinking!

It's is only in Nigeria that banks require someone to have a first class before he/she will be employed as a teller.First class and maybe 2.1 are mostly required in jobs that demand a high level of mental and intellectual robustness, self discipline and clear attention to details.These are mainly consulting firms, investment banks, research institutes, oil and gas, telecom etc.This is because of the nature of the job done.So, it is pertinent to entrust such jobs to people who have shown these attributes through their performances at the school level.

Bench-marking employability on 2.1 and first class by Nigerian banks and other organisations that don't even involve in any of the above is rather ridiculous, if not nonsensical.Most of the jobs involving business strategy formulation are done at the top management level, so, employing someone with a first class or 2.1 to work as a bank teller is utter malapropism.

My lecturer those days would say that even an slowpoke could work in the bank.Most Nigerian companies do even do any serious job that requires intellectual stimulation.Bulk of their jobs are mainly paper work, admin, marketing and maybe office politicking shocked Saying that someone with a grade less than a 2.1 is a mediocre is arrant nonsense.

We can only encourage people to do the best they can while in school, but tying their success or otherwise in life to the grades they graduated with is out of place.
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by chamber2(m): 10:46am On Jun 13, 2011
What is your point?So making anything less than a 2.1 is a sign of mediocrity? Lame thinking!

It's is only in Nigeria that banks require someone to have a first class before he/she will be employed as a teller.First class and maybe 2.1 are mostly required in jobs that demand a high level of mental and intellectual robustness, self discipline and clear attention to details.These are mainly jobs with consulting firms, investment banks, research institutes, oil and gas, telecom etc.This is because of the nature of the job done.So, it is pertinent to entrust such jobs to people who have shown these attributes through their performances at the school level.

Bench-marking employability on 2.1 and first class by Nigerian banks and other organisations that don't even involve in any of the above is rather ridiculous, if not nonsensical.Most of the jobs involving business strategy formulation are done at the top management level, so, employing someone with a first class or 2.1 to work as a bank teller is utter malapropism.

My lecturer those days would say that even a slowpoke could work in the bank.Most Nigerian companies don't even do any serious job that requires intellectual stimulation.Bulk of their jobs are mainly paper work, admin, marketing and maybe office politicking shocked Saying that someone with a grade less than a 2.1 is a mediocre is arrant nonsense.

We can only encourage people to do the best they can while in school, but tying their success or otherwise in life to the grades they graduated with is out of place.
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by otokx(m): 10:53am On Jun 13, 2011
Employment in Nigeria most times is not what you have but who you know so the father should be up and doing using his contacts to get an employment for his son.
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by claremont(m): 11:17am On Jun 13, 2011
I find it disgusting when I hear Nigerians saying that the "quality of graduates produced by Nigerians universities is so bad", what a ridiculous and sadistic thing to say! shocked shocked shocked. If the quality of Nigerian graduates is supposedly so bad, then how come these same graduates go to universities outside Nigeria and end up at the top of their class with First class and Distinctions? It also does not make any sense that someone achieved a First class in Nigeria because he memorized the lecturer's notes, and regurgitated verbatim during the exams.

I finished my first degree in Nigeria with a 2.1, a couple of points shy of a First class; I have just finished my MSc in the UK with a Distinction, and the best research thesis score in the whole university. I achieved my MSc result on the basis of the strong background I had during my undergraduate studies in Nigeria. So I am particularly pissed when I hear fellow Nigerians speak shite about our Nigerian universities, because I know from first hand experience that Nigerian university graduates are making exploits and breaking records worldwide.
Re: He Got 2.2 In Sch And His Dad Became Hostile To Him. by innoachukw(m): 11:27am On Jun 13, 2011
Wat has happened,has happened.The dad should b pleased dat his son even graduated,some pple even die b4 graduation.My advice 2 d guy is dat he should add more 2 his knowledge by getting other kinds of certifications, He should make sure he makes his dad eat his words.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ahmedu Bello University Zaria Diploma And Remedial Form / Futa Admission For 2013/2014 Session / BAZE University Abuja Tuition Fee Is 1.65M Naira Owned By Former Senator

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.