Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,711 members, 7,809,698 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:27 PM

Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands - Business (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands (14454 Views)

Harvard Puntin University (temp Room) / Harvard Business Article Praising Dangote's Oil Refinery / Hurry Up! African Aliance Private Placement Is On: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by morpheus24: 3:38pm On Jun 14, 2011
buzugee:

means those so called 'developed countries' are all smoke screens and mirrors if they are populated with people with depression, suicidal maniacs, and homicidal maniacs. thats a sign of turmoil in the undercurrent of those societies. nothing to emulate. nothing to envy.

oh yeah i am from the tribe of simeon cheesy shalom my brother. do me a favor. stay black.

like we have a choice in that matter. Really??
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by buzugee(m): 3:42pm On Jun 14, 2011
morpheus24:

like we have a choice in that matter. Really??
you do. ask this guy

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by Nobody: 5:06pm On Jun 14, 2011
buzugee:

you do. ask this guy

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
He"s dead
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by buzugee(m): 5:59pm On Jun 14, 2011
tom28:

He"s dead
RIP embarassed
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by Jenifa1: 6:11pm On Jun 14, 2011
If these Africans are not intelligent enough to produce enough food to feed themselves, (for some reason, famines over the last 10 - 20 years mostly occur in Africa), then they should make way for those who can.

buzugee:

dunno why yall africans are posessive anyway. tis not like yall using the land for anything sef.

anybody who has a common sense will look at these two foolish posts above and wonder what the posters were smoking. 

for me, I blame our leaders. because they are the one who let this happen. they are the ones who seize lands from commoners and sell them to foreign investors.
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by virgo(f): 6:28pm On Jun 14, 2011
Quote from: virgo on Today at 01:07:51 AM
I am mad at the people who sold the land (naive Africans and their ignorant leaders who never read between the lines).
You are mad at people for selling their own land to those they wanted to in this case?
I am mad at the hypocritical American universities/corporations/government (the ones who use their "superior" knowledge to manipulate unsuspecting Africans).
Please bow your head in shame for pretending that even to this point, you still tbelieve that Africans are not mature enough to make decisions of their own. Guns were not brought in to make these deals.

China currently owns majority of the land that has been sold/lease in the last decade or so, to foreign investors. Are you going to tell us as well that your people were OUT-witted by the Chinese?? Please, enough of the "THEY HOODWINKED US" nonsense. It is OVER-USED at this point.

And lastly I am totally mad at the people who are supporting this irresponsible behaviour. Yes kobojunkie, I am fricking pissed.

Get this, Africans are seen as vermin to be rid off the rich fertile soil of Africa, so coming across developments like this just plain irritate me.
I am an African and I have met no one who considers me, or africans vermins that need to be rid off.

3 years ago, at the height of the global food crisis, it became more than clear to the world that Africa, if left to it's own devices would starve itself out. Soon after that, agricultural investors started looking carefully at africa and it's agricultural potentials . . . potentials that not been reaped for so long now by, yes, the Africans. Why blame investors for deciding to purchase or lease land in Africa? What is wrong with that? Why villify them for that? Our Governments/People have said no so many times before now. Why not mention that?

If you are really irritated, then attack the right party here. The buyers are only able to buy what they are allowed to. If you do not like the price the land is being sold at , tell your government/companies to increase their prices. If you however feel you don't want anyone to own land in Africa, then I suggest you expect the consequences to follow. Grin

1st bolded - Sure, I am mad at them for being naive.

2nd bolded - Bow my head in shame? Lol. Child please, , Africans are being exploited left right and center. And since when do you need guns these days to manipulate people. Honey, it just takes a clear ink and a cunning mind.

3rd bolded - Africans have always been/and are vulnerable to the financial policies of the former colonial masters and current world powers. Yes, they are hoodwinked at every turn.

4th bolded - The shooting of black workers in Zambia by their Chinese "owners" on 19 Oct 2010/ the abandoning of 72 passengers fleeing Libya in late March this year by NATO forces claiming to be in Libya for "humanitarian reasons" and many other incidences clearly illustrates my point. Good for you that you have not encountered any kind of treatment that will make you feel like a vermin, but I have met and argued with an American who believes that wars in Africa are necessary for population control. There is nothing about the African that the average Westerner respects, and I don't need to be shot by the Chinese, abandoned at sea, or killed in a war created by greedy Western capitalists to know what whites think of blacks.

5th bolded - Who created the financial world crisis? Just like the West to create a problem and turn around to reap from it.

6th bolded - It is a well known fact that these corrupt corporations deal with corrupt leaders to cheat Africans. Africa has never been blessed with good leadership, so what government are you talking about?
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by Kobojunkie: 6:43pm On Jun 14, 2011
virgo:

2nd bolded - Bow my head in shame? Lol. Child please, , Africans are being exploited left right and center. And since when do you need guns these days to manipulate people. Honey, it just takes a clear ink and a cunning mind.
You mean Africans aren't the most cunning of them all? Come on  now . . . 

virgo:

3rd bolded - Africans have always been/and are vulnerable to the financial policies of the former colonial masters and current world powers. Yes, they are hoodwinked at every turn.

Whose fault is it that Africans are hoodwinked at every turn? I mean come on, think deeper on these things. They say "once beaten, twice shy". Why are you all too willing to pretend Africa is ok playing the not-so-smart person in it all?
virgo:

4th bolded - The shooting of black workers in Zambia by their Chinese "owners" on 19 Oct 2010/ the abandoning of 72 passengers fleeing Libya in late March this year by NATO forces claiming to be in Libya for "humanitarian reasons" and many other incidences clearly illustrates my point. Good for you that you have not encountered any kind of treatment that will make you feel like a vermin, but I have met and argued with an American who believes that wars in Africa are necessary for population control. There is nothing about the African that the average Westerner respects, and I don't need to be shot by the Chinese, abandoned at sea, or killed in a war created by greedy Western capitalists to know what whites think of blacks.

WOW . . .  I marvel at the way you conspiracy theorists pick around like hens when you want to pick examples. So, a few mistakes and a few isolated incidents are evidence enough to bolster your seemingly, for lack of a better term,  xenophobic stance there?? lol 
Anyways, I know a lot of Westerners, and asians who will wonder if you are complete upstairs for making the statement you have their on them. cheesy

virgo:

5th bolded - Who created the financial world crisis? Just like the West to create a problem and turn around to reap from it.
So, let me get this straight. Africa cannot feed it's own self (financial crisis or none). Now, because the financial crisis, created by the west(according to you), made this reality more obvious, the west, asia and arab nations should not try to purchase land from Africa?
virgo:

6th bolded - It is a well known fact that these corrupt corporations deal with corrupt leaders to cheat Africans. Africa has never been blessed with good leadership, so what government are you talking about?
OK. . . . so you are saying that even though you continue to elect corrupt leaders to represent you, the west, asia, and arab nations should take the blame when those corrupt leaders shortchange you and your future in these deals?
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by Jenifa1: 6:51pm On Jun 14, 2011
virgo:

perfectly put.

sometimes when I think about it, many nigerians were probably ok with colonization and the idea of having a queen and chance to get a western education etc. just the same way many of us today are complacent with the exploitation that is going on on our lands and oil reserves.
it is only the future generations that will look back and wonder 'why did they let that happen to them'

I think it's just the human character that sometimes we don't see the big picture because it's too close-up in front of us. it is only when the picture is a bit far away in history that we can properly put it into perspective.

but should we keep letting history repeat itself? can't we see the tell tale signs and hints in the picture we have in front of us now?
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by virgo(f): 6:59pm On Jun 14, 2011
You haven't actually said much in relation to my earlier post, especially considering the fact that they consist of begging questions that needed desperate answers from folks like you who happen to be in the know before the news even got out. . . .and that folks like us who only love to brandish our English could be saved from our ignorance.

One begins to question how liberated and exposed some of you are when issues like this are being discussed.
For some of you, If Dangote had bought the entire Uganda with a single check, he's just being an astute businessman who  recognize value and simply made a gun for it. . .but if some guy in Texas think it will be a nice thing to own a direct exposure to African markets, you come out with your sharp knives asking for his head----nothing but his head is good enough to appease the gods for attempting a 21st century invasion!!!!. . . .but if you receive any less treatment, they are being racist!!!

For some of you, the concept of the world being a global village will never register in your pea sized brain, you wonder why China opens its doors wide enough for investors to conduct transactions, you never quite understand why London is referred to as the world's business capital, the concepts of wall street never sleeping is far too complex for you to grab, and with your mouths left ajar, you simply watched while the rest of the world advance, far ahead of you, when asked, your answer?-----"Let's prevent 21st century invasion, they are coming for our Lands, they are coming for our oil, the white man is planning to steal away our kids!!!-----how lame can you get?"

It's quite relieving that you wouldn't have time to argue with common me, that's like saving me a lot of time trying to explain the concepts of open markets, economics of supply and demand, global trade etc etc to someone who in all probability is least likely to understand even the simplest things.

It's even more amusing that the so called West are doing more than several of you multiply together to eradicate poverty and disease from Africa.  you love it when the make donations in billions of pound sterlings to Haiti, Somalia and Niger, but you can't stand them investing their monies in this economies---- very fair don't you think?

Many of you arguing blindly probably don't even know that Ethopia is the 10th poorest country in the world with only a GDP of 700 million dollars.  Their Agriculture business has suffered serious lowdown because of poor cultivation techniques and frequent drought and  80% of its population live on breadline. Most of you sit back in your comfortable homes and watch this economy plunge into the dark of darkness, but when you hear investors planning to throw in millions of dollars, you take to the internet and start a cyberwar----now, that's what i call PATHETIC!!!!!!

1- Clearly I am not interested in going through long arguments with you because I don't agree with your position. At least you can forgive me that. I agree with the position of the Oakland institute about land grabs in Africa, and being a student of history, don't blame me for being apprehensive.

2- Oh come off your high horse. I am no racist. I believe in equal opportunity for all, regardless of race, but my position is that investors should be fair to the people. Don't come pretending to be their friend or wanting to create jobs for them when all you want is to make huge profits at their expense.

3- Right. And your brain is too big to accommodate the fact that people are entitled to their own opinions and can disagree with you.

4- From the look of things, they have already come for our lands and our oil while we are here wasting time disagreeing over their motives.

5- Good luck to you. BTW, I just got here this evening and have been treated to the wealth of your knowledge on world economics and I still disagree with your position. So your subtle barb means nothing to me.

6- They create the chaos, reap from it and send aid to Africa. You can't imagine how grateful I am. smiley

7- Sure, Ethiopia like some other African countries subject to the whims and caprices of the West, are poor. So why not just sell the whole country/countries to the highest bidder.

Violent, please allow me to re-iterate my position that Africans are being sold for the cheap, without getting unnecessarily worked up just because I cannot see the "light" of your arguments. Thank you.
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by violent(m): 7:10pm On Jun 14, 2011
Newsflash::  Nigerian Buys Gatwick Airport!

Nairalanders Reaction:: "Great News, . . . . .hurrayyyy,. . . . . good stuff, . . . . .what an outstanding feat"!

Newsflash::  European Investors to invest in Real estate lands in Africa

Nairalanders Reaction:::  "No wayyy!!!". . .21st century colonization,. . . . . white man don come again",. . . .  "modern day slavery", . . . . ."they are grabbing our lands",. . . "they are stealing our food", . . . "save mother africa"
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by virgo(f): 7:14pm On Jun 14, 2011
Kobojunkie:

You mean Africans aren't the most cunning of them all? Come on  now . . . 

Whose fault is it that Africans are hoodwinked at every turn? I mean come on, think deeper on these things. They say "once beaten, twice shy". Why are you all too willing to pretend Africa is ok playing the not-so-smart person in it all?
WOW . . .  I marvel at the way you conspiracy theorists pick around like hens when you want to pick examples. So, a few mistakes and a few isolated incidents are evidence enough to bolster your seemingly, for lack of a better term,  xenophobic stance there?? lol 
Anyways, I know a lot of Westerners, and asians who will wonder if you are complete upstairs for making the statement you have their on them. cheesy
So, let me get this straight. Africa cannot feed it's own self (financial crisis or none). Now, because the financial crisis, created by the west(according to you), made this reality more obvious, the west, asia and arab nations should not try to purchase land from Africa?OK. . . . so you are saying that even though you continue to elect corrupt leaders to represent you, the west, asia, and arab nations should take the blame when those corrupt leaders shortchange you and your future in these deals?

grin What exactly are you talking about? What xenophobic stance? Lol, this is funny. You know what, just forget it, I am not even going to allow myself partake in a merry go round with you. It is clear that we are on different sides of the divide on this one. There is no need for name calling as there is no guarantee that we are going to agree with each other at the end of the day.Thank you.
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by Jenifa1: 7:18pm On Jun 14, 2011
which one is Gatwick Airport? how many foreign airports did we buy?

If you look at the title of the post you will see that the first line is "Africa is Mumu Inc"
to me that is the most important line in relation to this topic.
basically the argument is that we are allowing western countries to exploit us. and not rising up to resist it. why?
why aren't we resisting the land grabbing? why are we letting history repeat itself?
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by Kobojunkie: 7:23pm On Jun 14, 2011
virgo:

grin What exactly are you talking about? What xenophobic stance? Lol, this is funny. You know what, just forget it, I am not even going to allow myself partake in a merry go round with you. It is clear that we are on different sides of the divide on this one. There is no need for name calling as there is no guarantee that we are going to agree with each other at the end of the day.Thank you.

Well . . . you tell me of a better word to qualify your attempts so far to offload the blame on to the FOREIGNERS when most of the decisions to sell when most of thr decisions where made by your local(many of them ELECTED) leaders?
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by Kilode1: 7:25pm On Jun 14, 2011
Jenifa_:

If you look at the title of the post you will see that the first line is "Africa is Mumu Inc"
basically the argument is that we are allowing western countries to exploit us. and not rising up to resist it. why?
why aren't we resisting the land grabbing? why are we letting history repeat itself?

@Jenifa_ Well done.
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by violent(m): 7:29pm On Jun 14, 2011
Jenifa_:

true talk o my sister.  this Oyinbo people self, dem just like to dey exploit us sha, God no go gree for them!. . .the spirits of our ancestors no go allow make dem rest!. . .kai!!! which kain nonsense self.

We must fight this o. . . .you and me together, we go fight kon save mother africa commot from dia hand!

Lailai to slave trade. . .na 21st century be this!!
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by Kobojunkie: 7:32pm On Jun 14, 2011
Jenifa_:

You are asking the right questions and I believe, we all know the answers. Only we force ourselves around the "mumu de" cycle, at least one more round, when we pretend it is the fault of the "foreigners".
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by Jenifa1: 8:12pm On Jun 14, 2011
violent:

true talk o my sister.  this Oyinbo people self, dem just like to dey exploit us sha, God no go gree for them!. . .the spirits of our ancestors no go allow make dem rest!. . .kai!!! which kain nonsense self.

We must fight this o. . . .you and me together, we go fight kon save mother africa commot from dia hand!

Lailai to slave trade. . .na 21st century be this!!

ironically, the average nigerian does not think this way and that is partially why nigeria is the way it is today.
the average nigeria will lick any white man or woman's butt and not recognize the source of exploitation when it is staring them in the face.
even our leaders are #1 puppet to the west.

imagine western companies finding it so easy to infiltrate government ranks and turning national decisions in their favor. that is mumu to the highest order because I don't know what else it could be.  i'm talking about the wikileaks thing
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by Jenifa1: 8:20pm On Jun 14, 2011
Kobojunkie:

You are asking the right questions and I believe, we all know the answers. Only we force ourselves around the "mumu de" cycle, at least one more round, when we pretend it is the fault of the "foreigners".

only a few nigerians think that way. majority don't.
if a lot of nigerians were suspicious of the west, do you think we would be selling our soul to them?
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by virgo(f): 8:23pm On Jun 14, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Well . . . you tell me of a better word to qualify your attempts so far to offload the blame on to the FOREIGNERS when most of the decisions to sell when most of thr decisions where made by your local(many of them ELECTED) leaders?

I frankly do not care what word you want to use. I blame the West as much as I blame our leaders. If you didn't see that in all my posts, then that is not my business.
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by Kobojunkie: 8:24pm On Jun 14, 2011
Jenifa_:

only a few nigerians think that way. majority don't.
if a lot of nigerians were suspicious of the west, do you think we would be selling our soul to them?

I am not one bit suspicious of the west. If anything, I am part of THE WEST that people blame for the problems in Africa. For all you know,one of the buyers that purchased thousands of hectares there could be a Nigerian-American but all some of them need to read is the word 'AMERICAN' in the headline, and BOOM . . . straight with the xenophobic rants (By God's grace, I will own thousands of hectares of Africa soon, no matter what anyone chooses to think anyways lol ).

Yet, I am also an African, and my eyes are open enough for me to see that Africa's major problem is,not the west,but the african people. We pretend to care but will make up the most absurd just so they can continue to avoid tackling the issue head on. Case and point . . . the re-election of the same group of touts, we complained for over a decade, were bad to us, just this april.
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by virgo(f): 8:29pm On Jun 14, 2011
Jenifa_:

ironically, the average nigerian does not think this way and that is partially why nigeria is the way it is today.
the average nigeria will lick any white man or woman's butt and not recognize the source of exploitation when it is staring them in the face.

imagine western companies finding it so easy to infiltrate government ranks and turning national decisions in their favor. that is mumu to the highest order because I don't know what else it could be.  i'm talking about the wikileaks thing

@Jenifa, violent may have been sarcastic with the last comment you replied to.  grin.

As for the multinationals infiltrating government, it is quite pathetic. It is for this same reason that Allison Madueke may not return to government for daring to promote the PIB bill. Our leaders are the worst stooges on earth. Now, you see how easy it is for the West to acquire lands in Africa with a bottle of Johnnie Walker and three claps. Lol.
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by violent(m): 8:38pm On Jun 14, 2011
Jenifa_:

I agree with you o my sister, all these foreign companies spreading filth like flies everywhere, imagine our President going to visit Obama, for what? can't Obama visit our President too? Imagine the way Shell dey control our government, like say na Britain dey run us by proxy, na wa ooooooooo This is na how slavery dey start oooooo!!!!

Again, the spirit of our ancestors no go make them rest, Africa must be free!!!!!. . .together you and me, we go join hands chase this people comot from our land. We go keep those lands well well for our children and children's children!!!!

[size=14pt]Mother Africa[/size] must be freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by Jenifa1: 8:45pm On Jun 14, 2011
Kobojunkie:

I am not one bit suspicious of the west . . . if anything, I am the west that people blame for all the problems in Africa. Yet, I am also an African, and my eyes are open enough to see that Africa's main problem is not the west but the fact that the african people only pretend to care but will make up the most absurd just so they can again avoid tackling the issue head on . . . case and point . . . the re-election of the same group of touts, we complained for over a decade, were bad to us, just this april.

lol. I don't even think we are talking on the same wavelength.

PS: what do you think about the US blaming the middle east for terrorism. why didn't you guys just blame yourselves?

virgo:

@Jenifa, violent may have been sarcastic with the last comment you replied to.  grin.

As for the multinationals infiltrating government, it is quite pathetic. It is for this same reason that Allison Madueke may not return to government for daring to promote the PIB bill. Our leaders are the worst stooges on earth. Now, you see how easy it is for the West to acquire lands in Africa with a bottle of Johnnie Walker and three claps. Lol.

yea I knew he was being sarcastic.
I was just pointing out the irony that most nigerians don't even think that way. it would have been better if we actually thought that way.
imagine even our educated Ngozi Nwela. I was embarrassed hearing her giving a speech where she was using an analogy of western countries as our 'parents' and we as the 'children'. how can you stand up to western exploitation if you consider westerners to be your parents? 
and when the whole paternalistic mentality has been internalized in us.
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by violent(m): 8:54pm On Jun 14, 2011
I was just pointing out the irony that most nigerians don't even think that way. it would have been better if we actually thought that way.
imagine even our educated Ngozi Nwela. I was embarrassed hearing her giving a speech where she was using an analogy of western countries as our 'parents' and we as the 'children'. how can you stand up to western exploitation if you consider westerners to be your parents?
and when the whole paternalistic mentality has been internalized in us

Me sarcastic ke? lai lai!!

I was flowing with you jare!. . all these western antics to dominate Mother Africa must stop, and it is the responsibility of you and me to point out these horrible, shameful plot!!!!

We have to stand up for our continent, we have to stand up against the west, lest they begin to export our huts and farmlands!!!! we can't afford to let that happen!!!!

We have to fight against an obvious 21st century invasion!. . .America is planning to steal our crops and our kids, they are planning to take our oil wells in their big ships down to Washington and Chicago, we can't afford to let that happen, we must fight for our lands!!!
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by ikeyman00(m): 8:56pm On Jun 14, 2011
@@@@@@@@@@

why do some people like talking crap all the time??

Who is against globalisation?? does that mean Nigeria shouldn't set their own standard?? should we be dictated on the way we should run our country and live our live by the white people just in the name of globalisation??

for those that are arguing that the Arabs has bought half of UK ?? do u really believe this is the kind of globalisation the west envisage so block head blackman what u talking ??

The UK government has been talking about arm proliferation every now and then but watch as the Cameron first over sea tour he was accompanied by coperate-firms in which some of them were arm companies and what do u make of that??

Iraq or not 99% rebuilding contract were all allocated to themselves and the cost was highly inflated

as for the few coperate firm we have in Nigeria at present all the Nigerians staff are complaining of bad treatment

In as much as some would write off Hilary Clinton she has voice out the Africans should be cautious, very cautious in these dealing and people like kolo-argumentative has other opinion shocked

some of these people have lived abroad for far too long and so their head are right to deal with issues

U have bush saying US will track bin laden men down whereever they are and even confiscate their money and yet they couldn't careless for African stolen money that has been going off sure and when u have abacha died it took years and more to get some of the fund back and by the way where are the rest??

every now and then u get to hear UK giving out medication on aid to Africa with tax payers money? do u really think hmm there is something these people know i dnt!!!

Can we just say Nigeria aint ripe for now !!
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by virgo(f): 8:57pm On Jun 14, 2011
Jenifa, glad you saw the sarcasm. Well, I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion on the matter. I decided that there was no need to to go through lengths trying to argue my point till the end. Meanwhile see what a white man posted about the land grab situation on another website.

"The reason that global food insecurity is a scam is because those preaching it imply that by easing food insecurity they are trying to help those who are most food insecure.   But that is not the case in reality.   The actual beneficiaries of projects and plans to address global food insecurity are primarily the large multinational agricultural entities and rich countries, none of which are in any sense close to being food insecure.   So it winds up being another way for them to take even more land and resources from those least able to afford it.

[b]The simplest answer to feeding people most in need of food is to put more land under cultivation and the output into the mouths of the people.  That has been the equation for agriculture since the neolithic.   If you can grow a certain amount of crop on 1 acre of land and it takes x amount of crop to feed Y numbers of people, how many acres do you need to feed a given number of people in a population?   That is simple math and the most logical simple answer to a given problem.   But that is not how the modern economic system works.  The modern equation is convoluted and backwards, especially when it comes to third world countries that are constantly exploited for their resources.   It becomes, if I can make x number of dollars for N amount of crop on the global market and x amount of land produces y amount of crop at z cost per acre, then I can gain greater amount of profit by decreasing the cost of of producing said crop on greater amounts of land for trade on the global market.   Nowhere in that equation does feeding the population ever come into play.  The goal is profit and what you get from the "global market" is all that counts.   But the global market does not equate to "feeding the people", so in reality this only furthers the food instability of those people who are not in control of the land and the resources.   So at the end of the day it is simply another scam to increase the profits of the rich global companies and does nothing to help those who are food insecure like Africans".[/b]

So why should I bother if other Africans are cool with the land grab since we so desperately need to belong to the global community. No wahala. We dey look nau!
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by Jenifa1: 9:02pm On Jun 14, 2011
violent:

We have to fight against an obvious 21st century invasion!. . .America is planning to steal our crops and our kids, they are planning to take our oil wells in their big ships down to Washington and Chicago, we can't afford to let that happen, we must fight for our lands!!!

^
well, keep up the spirit and make sure to infect your friends with it. maybe then we might have a revolution in nigeria against shell oil company tongue

@ikeyman00,
thank u jor
how can nigeria even compete in capitalistic society when we have a "yes sir,yes ma" mentality in this dog-eat-dog global economy.
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by virgo(f): 9:07pm On Jun 14, 2011
Jenifa_:

lol. I don't even think we are talking on the same wavelength.

PS: what do you think about the US blaming the middle east for terrorism. why didn't you guys just blame yourselves?

and when the whole paternalistic mentality has been internalized in us.

Walahi, it is a big shame. The funny thing is that the educated blacks who get to international organizations like World bank and IMF become more ignorant of the Western ploy to exploit the continent. Seems to me that the more educated these guys get, the more foolish they become. See Ouattarra in Ivory Coast. A former employee of IMF and a mere puppet for "father France" who will no doubt gladly hand over the country back to be pillaged to help develop France and give the white man his chocolates. Bunch of nitwits!
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by violent(m): 9:08pm On Jun 14, 2011
well, keep up the spirit and make sure to infect your friends with it. maybe then we might have a revolution in nigeria against shell oil company

That's the spirit my sister!!!
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by virgo(f): 9:10pm On Jun 14, 2011
@Jenifa, another comment from the same white man while my African brothers claim that there is nothing wrong with the land grab.

[b]The idea that any of this is a "new" controversy is nonsense.   Europeans have been grabbing land in Africa for plantation agriculture and mining for the last few hundred years.   But more recently, at least since 2008 and the global "food insecurity" scam (which is the real controversy), foreigners have been going to Africa and buying up land at record rates.   The Saudis have bought thousands of acres in Ethiopia (with much starvation) for food exports and are in the process of expanding.  Other gulf states have done similar things in other parts of Africa. Asian nations are seeking to do the same and everyone should know about the massive uprisings in Madagascar caused by the Korean company Daewoo trying to snap up large amounts of land.

No this is not new this is simply the same old pattern of foreigners deciding that Africas resources exist primarily for the benefit of NON Africans and that Africans should only be treated as peon workers who get the leftovers after everyone else gets their share.   But if you notice over the last few years while all of this land grabbing has been taking place, you have heard oh so many stories about the "West", ie the World Bank, UNCF, World Food Organization and so forth promoting Green initiatives in Africa and new Agricultural partnerships.  But what have these initiatives produced?  Pretty much nothing.   Those are simply PR ploys to divert attention from the real story, which is the global economic system taking land from Africans so they don't have the means to feed themselves.   Most of these NGOs and Global institutions are financed and backed by the same companies snapping up land in the first place.  They only exist as modern versions of Missionaries designed to con Africans into thinking that these people are there to help them, when they aren't.   They are there to take land from Africa and resources.

The evidence is obvious and everywhere on the ground.  It doesn't get more blatantly obvious than the Ethiopian example.   These people are taking food out of the mouths of Africans but at the same time financing charities to promote "helping" starving Africans, which never happens, but allows them to fool everyone into thinking that they are there to help.[/b]
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by Kobojunkie: 9:14pm On Jun 14, 2011
Jenifa_:

US blaming middle-east for terrorism? Seriously, do you NEED to do this? undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Africa Is Mumu Inc: Us Universities(Harvard et al) buying up African lands by violent(m): 9:21pm On Jun 14, 2011
virgo:

Walahi, it is a big shame. The funny thing is that the educated blacks who get to international organizations like World bank and IMF become more ignorant of the Western ploy to exploit the continent. Seems to me that the more educated these guys get, the more foolish they become. See Ouattarra in Ivory Coast. A former employee of IMF and a mere puppet for "father France" who will no doubt gladly hand over the country back to be pillaged to help develop France and give the white man his chocolates. Bunch of nitwits!

Exactly the point I've been making all along, It's quite disturbing how the educated ones, whom we place a high degree of trust, could not see how the west plan to exploit the continent.

The west keep giving Haiti millions of pounds in relief aids since the unfortunate earthquake, who told them Haiti needs their money?  It's pretty obvious that someone in Washington or 10 dowing street, intends to buy up  Haiti one day and make the country a big golf course . . . . ., how people who claim to be intellectuals could not see this is way beyond my imagination. . . . .

you can imagine how disturbed i was when i learnt of the commercial agriculture development program and the earthcare solid waste composting projects being pioneered by World Bank in Nigerian states!. . .what the f*** was our government thinking to allow those rats in our country?  Is it not obvious they are after the oil?. . . we must keep the oil more securely from henceforth, we wouldn't want to wake up to a horrifying tale of how our oil wells disappeared over night, thanks to the World bank

The west interference in Africa must stop!!!!. . .we don't need their help!!. . .If America stops being our biggest trade partners, we can always sell our exports to Ghana, or Benin republic, and we will still be as happy as we've always been!!!

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

40 Profitable Small Businesses In Nigeria Today / List of Top Management Consulting Companies In Nigeria / 7 Figures In One Year: A Nairalander’s Success Tips

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.