Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,010 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:56 AM

Nigeria’s Public Debt Rises By ₦2.5 To ₦38 Trillion - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria’s Public Debt Rises By ₦2.5 To ₦38 Trillion (7557 Views)

Each Nigerian Owes N396,376 As Public Debt Rises To N87.4 Trillion / Zainab Ahmed: Nigeria’s Debt May Jump By ₦6 Trillion To Hit ₦38 Trillion / Buhari Extends Gradual Ease Of Lockdown In Lagos, Abuja, Ogun By 2 Weeks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria’s Public Debt Rises By ₦2.5 To ₦38 Trillion by AllahIsSatan: 2:28pm On Dec 15, 2021
Nigeria’s total public debt rose by N2.54 trillion, from N35.465 trillion at the end of the second quarter of 2021, to N38.005 trillion ($92.626 billion) at the end of the third quarter.

Statistics released by the Debt Management Office (DMO) indicated that the debt comprised total external and domestic debts of the federal government, 36 state governments, and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).

The DMO explained that the increase of N2.540 trillion, when compared to the corresponding figure of N35.465 trillion at the end of Q2 2021, largely accounted for by the $4 billion Eurobonds issued by the federal government in September.

The debt management agency stated that the issuance of the $4 billion Eurobonds brought significant benefits to the economy by increasing the level of Nigeria’s external reserves, thereby supporting the exchange rate of the naira, and providing necessary capital to enable the federal government finance various projects in the budget.

The triple-tranche $4 billion Eurobond, issued in September, was for the implementation of the New External Borrowing of $6.18 billion in the 2021 Appropriation Act.

Meanwhile, Director General of the DMO, Patience Oniha, yesterday said the federal government would reduce local borrowing next year, with the expectation of increased internal revenue. Oniha also disclosed that in 2021, the federal government borrowed a total of N5.134 trillion from the local debt market and targeted borrowing for 2022 was N4.6 trillion.

She made the assertions while speaking at a webinar organised by Coronation Merchant Bank, in partnership with the DMO, where she spoke on “Nigeria moving beyond COVID-19: Opportunities for Investors.”

Oniha said while the country’s treasury bills’ obligations seemed to be rising in recent times, the debt office had been able to reduce its share of the local debt portfolio to less than 25 per cent. She said the share of treasury bills currently in the local debt basket was around 21 per cent.

According to her, “We have done better than keeping TBills at 25 per cent. We actually came down to 21 per cent from that in terms of total domestic debt because we wanted to reduce the re-financing risk.

“Even with the increase we are still below 25 per cent maximum in terms of total domestic debt. The target is not to go up. We just kept it there because there are other transactions, such as promissory notes that we are issuing that will increase the short-term component.

“What is driving the additional issuance of TBills is because the new borrowing levels are extremely high. Last year, it was N4.6 trillion, while the initial budget was about N1.7 trillion. All of that couldn’t have come from bonds only at decent rate, so some of it is being taken from TBills usually at the long end.

“If you see the auction results you see that we are more at the 360-day tenure. It is true we are issuing more TBills, but more like new borrowings to fund the budget. Again this year’s new borrowing is about N5.134 trillion, next year we are still in the range of N4.6 trillion.”

On the planned borrowings for next year, Oniha said, “The assumption is if we make 100 per cent of that revenue in the budget and then incur all the expenditure that we have we are still going to borrow.

“Unless we double or triple those revenue in the budget that is the only condition in which we won’t borrow. If revenue performs 100 per cent we are still going to borrow, anyway, based on the medium term expenditure framework.

“We keep telling the public and those tracking the debt profile of the country that actually the source of the borrowing is coming from the budget and in a few cases the separate projects that were approved and those are usually external.”

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2021/12/15/nigerias-public-debt-rises-by-n2-5trn-to-n38trn/

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Public Debt Rises By ₦2.5 To ₦38 Trillion by mrvitalis(m): 2:32pm On Dec 15, 2021
That's nothing if Nigeria is functioning well ...but because they don't want igbos to control their resources n security we are all here like this

In an attempt to Hold the igbo nation down Nigeria is also holding herself down

77 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigeria’s Public Debt Rises By ₦2.5 To ₦38 Trillion by Moferere: 2:56pm On Dec 15, 2021
Seriously, I pity whoever takes over from Buhari.
May Nigeria never be this unfortunate again

46 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria’s Public Debt Rises By ₦2.5 To ₦38 Trillion by ChiefSosa(m): 3:08pm On Dec 15, 2021
Just 38 trillion? Buhari should kuku round it up to 40 or 50 trillion. Make e fit be round figure. Awon werey!
Whenever China and other countries we are owing want to collect their money, they should come and pack all those people that collected 30k from Buhari to labor camps. Thank God we have their names and details in the Government's database. They should bundle them into slavery ships. Let them be enslaved at labor camps.

61 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Nigeria’s Public Debt Rises By ₦2.5 To ₦38 Trillion by EXLOVER(m): 3:08pm On Dec 15, 2021
Them and their family will eat and embezzle the money, but we will be the ones to pay the debt.

May the Angel of destruction visit Buhari and other leaders that are stealing this country to stupor with his koboko

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Public Debt Rises By ₦2.5 To ₦38 Trillion by VOsimhen144(m): 3:08pm On Dec 15, 2021
Buhari is a bastard.

If you qoute me, the Thunder that will fire you is coming with bonanza. Rubbish.

30 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Public Debt Rises By ₦2.5 To ₦38 Trillion by Sabadon(m): 3:08pm On Dec 15, 2021
We die here
Re: Nigeria’s Public Debt Rises By ₦2.5 To ₦38 Trillion by Spaxon(f): 3:08pm On Dec 15, 2021
make una de for naija dia o. me i don japa before country burn. small time dos wer get d moni go come de claim claim states..

una bye bye oo

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria’s Public Debt Rises By ₦2.5 To ₦38 Trillion by ambrosedmax(m): 3:08pm On Dec 15, 2021
buhari's effect

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Public Debt Rises By ₦2.5 To ₦38 Trillion by FalseProphet1(m): 3:09pm On Dec 15, 2021
I see buhari instructing relevant bodies to start collecting taxes from Nigerians for walking on the road, the taxes will be calculated per kilometer.

I see Nigerians being taxed for getting married, I see the groom being asked to pay based on the age of the girl, the higher her age, the higher the tax. I see the number of single girls tripple.

I see commerical danfo buses being taxed as well despite the fact that "owo mi da" urchins are already frustrating their lives on a daily basis.

I see severe hunger in the land, I see Nigeria dividing.

This I have seen.

16 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Public Debt Rises By ₦2.5 To ₦38 Trillion by Mko123(m): 3:09pm On Dec 15, 2021
S
Re: Nigeria’s Public Debt Rises By ₦2.5 To ₦38 Trillion by Austema(m): 3:09pm On Dec 15, 2021
Is God aware of this country?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Public Debt Rises By ₦2.5 To ₦38 Trillion by Goldbw122(m): 3:10pm On Dec 15, 2021
That is why things are getting high in this country both goods and services �

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Public Debt Rises By ₦2.5 To ₦38 Trillion by Nobody: 3:10pm On Dec 15, 2021
This country na war oo..so tiring to be a Nigerian.. everyday thinking for her citizens..
If you get chance to leave this empty country...do so without thinking twice and never come back..

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Public Debt Rises By ₦2.5 To ₦38 Trillion by Racoon(m): 3:10pm On Dec 15, 2021
sad All due to the dullard cluelessness and his impulsive tendency to employ borrowing as antidote to any economic challenge.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Public Debt Rises By ₦2.5 To ₦38 Trillion by Optimistguy1969: 3:10pm On Dec 15, 2021
Anything Bubu touches turns to gold goat

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Public Debt Rises By ₦2.5 To ₦38 Trillion by HugeDan(m): 3:10pm On Dec 15, 2021
Still counting. Oni gbese

1 Like

Re: Nigeria’s Public Debt Rises By ₦2.5 To ₦38 Trillion by Basicend: 3:10pm On Dec 15, 2021
Austema:
Is God aware of this country?

Bro, too many innocent bloods are crying over Nigeria.

We are too religious but very evil in our souls.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Public Debt Rises By ₦2.5 To ₦38 Trillion by lomprico(m): 3:10pm On Dec 15, 2021
Sai Baba!

Jonathan na woman wrapper, Jonathan na woman. Hope we are enjoying the fulani man with long prick.

Nonsense!

11 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Public Debt Rises By ₦2.5 To ₦38 Trillion by hopexter(m): 3:10pm On Dec 15, 2021
Yet we still have insecurity and hunger killing Nigerian citizens. What’s now the purpose of the loan?

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Public Debt Rises By ₦2.5 To ₦38 Trillion by Skyfornia(m): 3:10pm On Dec 15, 2021
Nigeria is dying Buhari is flying

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Public Debt Rises By ₦2.5 To ₦38 Trillion by Bunnatex(m): 3:11pm On Dec 15, 2021
What's the benefit of this loans.

Yet you can wonder why all these countries give eem loan even while knowing that they will embezzle it and still be unable to pay back.

Another form of colonialism

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Public Debt Rises By ₦2.5 To ₦38 Trillion by inoki247: 3:11pm On Dec 15, 2021
lol debt jus dey rise anyhow laik jobless man diick...

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Public Debt Rises By ₦2.5 To ₦38 Trillion by Zico5(m): 3:11pm On Dec 15, 2021
Buhari has finished this country. What will remain of this country before 2023. May we never experienced a president like Buhari again in this country. I wonder where manabbqgrill is dwelling these days. He has gone solo or let me say hunger has finished him. To be real, this country has gone. No remedy.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Public Debt Rises By ₦2.5 To ₦38 Trillion by Brushstrokes20: 3:11pm On Dec 15, 2021
The satanic govt of SELF SERVING THIEVES AND BLOODTHIRSTY TERRORISTS is hell bent on sinking the shithole beyond redemption! undecided

The dullard and cohorts are all shades of disasters!

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Public Debt Rises By ₦2.5 To ₦38 Trillion by nini007(m): 3:11pm On Dec 15, 2021
Moferere:
Seriously, I pity whoever takes over from Buhari.
May Nigeria never be this unfortunate again
Amen

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Public Debt Rises By ₦2.5 To ₦38 Trillion by FarahAideed: 3:11pm On Dec 15, 2021
Buhari the onigbese

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria’s Public Debt Rises By ₦2.5 To ₦38 Trillion by Dorcmass(m): 3:11pm On Dec 15, 2021
me am running to nigeria i cant come and kee my self in this UAE

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria’s Public Debt Rises By ₦2.5 To ₦38 Trillion by Angelfrost(m): 3:11pm On Dec 15, 2021
Why exactly are you telling us all this?!!... Like the common Nigerian has a hand or say in the borrowing and looting going on...

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Stamp Duty: Court Refuses To Restrain CBN From Disbursing ‘Trillions’ Deposited / Why Is The North Most Developed In Nigeria,south to caughtup in 100 years(pic / Rochas Okorocha A Man With An Evil Agenda

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.