Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,360 members, 7,846,560 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 06:04 PM

Nissan Xtera Na Your Mate?? My Painful Experience - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Nissan Xtera Na Your Mate?? My Painful Experience (1387 Views)

Xtera For Sale. 850k Ph 08163157823 / Racing A 2014 Highlander With A mercedes Cls550. Toyotas Need To Know Their Mate / A Kenyan Converts Nissan Fuga Car Into A Mercedes Benz Car (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nissan Xtera Na Your Mate?? My Painful Experience by Supreme145(m): 10:59pm On Dec 20, 2021
I'm a frequent visitor to this section though I don't own a car nor any close to owning one, I came across a thread where the OP was shocked at the ridiculous prices that Nissan Xtera cars are being sold. It reminded me of how my village disguised as a Nissan Xtera and came after my dad's life. I don't know much about cars so I would be narrating this experience in lay man terms.

About two years ago my mom called me and excitedly broke the news that my dad had just got a new car, of course that would be his first car. We have a large family and the absence of a car has been telling, we don't travel for Xmas because we would need to charter a mini bus to convey us which most times my dad can't afford which made us stay away from the village for about a decade so I could understand her happier. I called my younger brother and asked of the car make and had mixed feelings when he told me it was a Nissan Xtera due to the not so pleasant reviews I read about it in this section. The car spent almost one month in the mechanic getting some refurbishment before finally getting home.

I saw the car for the first time when I visited my parents months later so we could travel to the village for a burial. The car looked clean with it's shinny silver colour, my dad always took care of his stuffs very well and takes the car for maintenance even at the slightest noise but I still had a feeling he was sold a lemon. A day to our journey he took it to his regular kazzem for servicing even without the car displaying any obvious fault. The next day we set out for our journey. If only we knew what was in store for us.

Some minutes into the journey we all wound up the windscreen to enjoy some chilling ac, alas the ac was no longer chilling coupled with the fact that it was shooting up the temperature of the car, about an hour later the car came to an abrupt halt with smoke coming from the bonnet. We came out and opened the bonnet and I naively went to open the radiator to check if it still had water and would've got bathed with boiling water if not for my dad's timely intervention. All attempts to restart the car proved futile so my p man had to hop on a bike to look for a nearby mechanic.

He came back 15 minutes later with one mechanic who restarted the car with his battery and we resumed journey this time without ac. The journey was going fine till we went into a pothole and the iron holding the two front wheels (I've forgotten what my dad called it) broke into two and sent the car into haphazard and wobbling motion, p man managed to bring it under control and we set off to look for welder.

We managed to find a local welder who uses those cylinders and it took him almost two hours to get the work done, now it was already dusk and a four hour journey was fast turning to a seven hour journey. We were already close to the village around 10pm when my mom noticed fire in the bonnet of the car, they immediately ran out of the car while I fumbled with the lock of the back door till my dad came to help me out. We managed to put the fire out with sand amidst my mom's screams of " Jesus.... Jesus!!! We won't lose this car!!! My enemies can never make me trek again!!! .... I will never trek again!!!... Holy ghost put them to shame!!!".

A check in the bonnet revealed that many wires were burnt including the container that holds the steering oil. My dad started the car and I surprisingly kicked to life one touch, my mom went on another phase of prayers and worship.... " My father has disappointed them, how can a burnt car start after one touch...he's a miracle working God, he's the alpha and omega, he's a miracle working God.... My God promised me that I will never trek again.... ".

We proceeded with my dad stopping after intervals to refill the steering oil, we somehow managed to get home that night safely and packed the car. Two days later we set off back to the city, I was uncomfortable because we couldn't get a mechanic to check the car, even though it was still moving I was sure something must be wrong due to the extent of the fire that was even evident on the bonnet.

Going back was another wahala as the car would over heat and stop only to start again after some minutes. The power steering oil was now exhausted and my dad was handling the car like an old model 911. We stopped at least 15 more times on the road, spending all the money on us fixing one thing or to the other in the car and finally got home around 1am after spending almost 16 hours for a 4 hour journey.

They took the car for Xmas few months later and it sure didn't disappoint. They slept on the road and came back with charter, I heard something was wrong with the gear box and the car went on to spend like 6 months in the mechanic gulping hundreds of thousands.

I respect Xtera

10 Likes

Re: Nissan Xtera Na Your Mate?? My Painful Experience by MEGA4BILLION(m): 11:20pm On Dec 20, 2021
Women and cars, your mum doesn't want to trek again.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nissan Xtera Na Your Mate?? My Painful Experience by shortgun(m): 11:24pm On Dec 20, 2021
Popcorn...check
Room temperature....check
Comfy seat.........check
Internet connectivity...check
smiley smiley smiley

3 Likes

Re: Nissan Xtera Na Your Mate?? My Painful Experience by Timoleon(m): 11:25pm On Dec 20, 2021

Re: Nissan Xtera Na Your Mate?? My Painful Experience by kozmokaz(m): 12:50am On Dec 21, 2021
Chair fixed
Re: Nissan Xtera Na Your Mate?? My Painful Experience by gadgetplanetng: 7:06am On Dec 21, 2021
It was definitely Nigerian used.

Patches and bypasses
Re: Nissan Xtera Na Your Mate?? My Painful Experience by Grupo(m): 3:23pm On Dec 21, 2021
Hahahaha. This made me laugh so much.

I love me my Toyota corolla. People say it's an ugly car. But who cares?

I call it my "akpọ aza." Because whenever I call it, it answers me.

5 Likes

Re: Nissan Xtera Na Your Mate?? My Painful Experience by magnumwhales(m): 5:02pm On Dec 21, 2021
This ur story is funny die
Re: Nissan Xtera Na Your Mate?? My Painful Experience by skywalker240(m): 5:33pm On Dec 21, 2021
Your old woman grin

Even old woman love cars too na

I don't know why many Nigerians don't fancy Nissan that much
Re: Nissan Xtera Na Your Mate?? My Painful Experience by ksmart027(m): 5:45pm On Dec 21, 2021
Nissan Xterra, rugged work horse, your dad bought an abused car.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nissan Xtera Na Your Mate?? My Painful Experience by Supreme145(m): 5:51pm On Dec 21, 2021
skywalker240:
Your old woman grin

Even old woman love cars too na

I don't know why many Nigerians don't fancy Nissan that much
My mom never old o, she never reach 50 sef

1 Like

Re: Nissan Xtera Na Your Mate?? My Painful Experience by Supreme145(m): 5:52pm On Dec 21, 2021
ksmart027:
Nissan Xterra, rugged work horse, your dad bought an abused car.
I guess so because he doesn't joke with the maintenance but when the issues started it nearly sent him back to the village.

3 Likes

Re: Nissan Xtera Na Your Mate?? My Painful Experience by Monatyk(m): 7:30pm On Dec 21, 2021
Hello everyone, thanks for the excellent post, I want to note that it is very difficult to find suitable components for your car in this market. So I want to advise you to look at the products at aftermarket tow hooks, I found a lot of interesting products there for myself that I ordered through Amazon. And you, too, can do it this way very simply.
Re: Nissan Xtera Na Your Mate?? My Painful Experience by okoroemeka(m): 8:40pm On Dec 21, 2021
gadgetplanetng:
It was definitely Nigerian used.

Patches and bypasses
the problem is not Nigeria used but the type of car,if the man lowered his sights and got a Honda EOD or Toyota Camry the story will not be like that,there is a reason you see these cars littered all over the road because they are super reliable

1 Like

Re: Nissan Xtera Na Your Mate?? My Painful Experience by gadgetplanetng: 9:36pm On Dec 21, 2021
okoroemeka:
the problem is not Nigeria used but the type of car,if the man lowered his sights and got a Honda EOD or Toyota Camry the story will not be like that,there is a reason you see these cars littered all over the road because they are super reliable

Xterras don't catch fire and break into pieces in one day abroad where they came from.
Nigerian mechanics that refuse to do things properly make them that way.

2 Likes

Re: Nissan Xtera Na Your Mate?? My Painful Experience by jodeci(m): 11:49pm On Dec 21, 2021
gadgetplanetng:

Xterras don't catch fire and break into pieces in one day abroad where they came from.
Nigerian mechanics that refuse to do things properly make them that way.

The way people bad mouth Nissan cars is really funny,i have used my 07 Nissan Pathfinder for 10 years without any major issues,i also own a 2012 highlander but i still prefer the pathfinder for most of my rugged moves,distance travels and heavy liftings.

4 Likes

Re: Nissan Xtera Na Your Mate?? My Painful Experience by nomaison(m): 9:40pm On Dec 22, 2021
My 1995 Nisssn Primera or nothing
Re: Nissan Xtera Na Your Mate?? My Painful Experience by oloko1859(m): 12:02am On Dec 23, 2021
grin grin grin
They still had courage to travel with the car again

4 Likes

Re: Nissan Xtera Na Your Mate?? My Painful Experience by MOTIONTECH(m): 6:10pm On Dec 25, 2021
That Xterra was definitely abused, I know someone that drives an Xterra, he has been driving it for 12 years until the engine developed a fault but dispite the fault he still loves the car.

(1) (Reply)

My Car Doesnt Start Sometimes - Nissan Sentra 05 / Guru Ur Advice/ Experiencce Is Need / Can I Steam Wash My Nissan Pathfinger 2003 Engine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.