Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,517 members, 7,850,781 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 08:57 AM

Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari (20209 Views)

Senate To Override President Buhari’s Veto On Two Bills / Electoral Act: NASS Plans To Override President Buhari This Week - Sen Olujimi / 49 Senators Sign Against Saraki, Ekweremadu’s Impeachment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by garfield1: 10:07am On Dec 22, 2021
Bimpe29:
If this is true, it means the 9th NASS for the first time is poised to test the water and experience the feelings of separation of powers.

No,it means they are the best ever in history

1 Like

Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by garfield1: 10:10am On Dec 22, 2021
CSTRR:
I trust the saraki Senate to do that, not this rubber stamp.

Oga,saraki had the chance severally but failed.if lawan achieves this, he surpasses saraki

1 Like

Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by garfield1: 10:11am On Dec 22, 2021
ityP:

Me too. I support the useless president for once. It's the democratic thing to do. I'm keenly watching sha. The NASS don't have the balls to veto the president

Lawan has always been better than saraki

1 Like

Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by ENIGMATIC2023(m): 10:12am On Dec 22, 2021
They don't have the balls to do that. Rubber stamp zombies
Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by garfield1: 10:12am On Dec 22, 2021
MondayOsunbor:

I BET MY 2022 salary that this will never happen

If it happens,will you regard lawan as the greatest ever

1 Like

Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by garfield1: 10:14am On Dec 22, 2021
fergie001:

For your mind, you believe this Senate will override President Buhari? grin grin grin grin

It is Impossicant. They don't have the ballzzzz, even some of the PDP Senators will not even stand for it.

Guy,am disappointed at you and in you again.from the mood of the president they will,did you miss where they said 81 senators have signed? A lot of things have changed.lawan is better than saraki

1 Like

Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by MondayOsunbor(m): 10:14am On Dec 22, 2021
garfield1:

If it happens,will you regard lawan as the greatest ever

DSS
Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by Almightyprosper: 10:15am On Dec 22, 2021
Most of you out should try and understand the concept of this news before picking a side [font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]
Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by garfield1: 10:16am On Dec 22, 2021
MondayOsunbor:

DSS

Meaning
Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by garfield1: 10:18am On Dec 22, 2021
ENIGMATIC2023:
They don't have the balls to do that. Rubber stamp zombies

What if they do
Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by Agbegbaorogboye: 10:18am On Dec 22, 2021
garfield1:

If this happens,this Senate automatically becomes the greatest ever senate.saraki only deceived nigerians

Really? Saraki deceived Nigerians? You mean Saraki is responsible for the failure of the 2018 bill? Is that really what you believe or you're just baring your political prejudices as usual?
Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by samdaisi: 10:22am On Dec 22, 2021
They'll have to go on record eventually. Lol they can't hide behind voice votes this time.
My brother those guys are fighting for themselves most especially 2023 because they don't want governors to determine their faith in politics not that they have our love on their hearts,
Nigeria politicians are wicked and terrible
Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by garfield1: 10:23am On Dec 22, 2021
Agbegbaorogboye:

Really? Saraki deceived Nigerians? You mean Saraki is responsible for the failure of the 2018 bill? Is that really what you believe or you're just baring your political prejudices as usual?

Saraki could have attempted to override the president but he never did,only playing to the gallery.saraki is overhyped by those that hate buhari but fortunately his constituents dealt with him and rightly so.I have consistently maintained that lawan is not a rubber stamp and that ken nnamani was the best Senate President

2 Likes

Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by Agbegbaorogboye: 10:30am On Dec 22, 2021
garfield1:

Saraki could have attempted to override the president but he never did,only playing to the gallery.saraki is overhyped by those that hate buhari but fortunately his constituents dealt with him and rightly so.I have consistently maintained that lawan is not a rubber stamp and that ken nnamani was the best Senate President

Saraki could not have overridden the president when he was made to look like an enemy of the president by the Tinubu brigands.
Lawan on the other hand is not interested in overriding Buhari. It is obvious the senators who are compiling names are led by PDP senator Sekibo. However, I expect it to fall like a pack of cards. You should expect it to with your experience of Nigerian politics.
Lawan who said the senate is a buhari senate is not a rubber stamp? grin grin grin
You're shoring up a dead tree

1 Like

Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by MondayOsunbor(m): 10:34am On Dec 22, 2021
garfield1:

Meaning

fear of DSS is the beginning of wisdom
Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by leokid866: 10:38am On Dec 22, 2021
chrisblack:
That's not the issue.
Some of you can't seem to read the plain reasons in political issues. It boils down to leverage. Direct primaries afford a candidate the opportunity to test is or her popularity directly without being subjected to the influence of power brokers.the senators are in support because they feel there governor's have an undue influence and control over their nominations or ticket. While the power brokers feel that indirect primaries are needed for consensus and better being able to present a candidate acceptable to all. Both sides have their advantages and also their disadvantages.
But in this particular aspect. It's all about 2023.
Tinubus group needs the direct primaries for him to stand a chance. While his opponents needs the Indirect primaries to finish him totally
Indirect primaries boils down to who has the money.......if it goes the way of indirect primaries, how many governors do you think will be able to match Tinubu Naira for Naira.....at this time Tinubu is not bothered, it's the senators who are in fear because if it is indirect primaries the governors in both parties will have massive influence on their chances of returning in 2023 which they don't want due to the display of people like fayemi and wike.

1 Like

Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by garfield1: 10:38am On Dec 22, 2021
Agbegbaorogboye:

Saraki could not have overridden the president when he was made to look like an enemy of the president by the Tinubu brigands.
Lawan on the other hand is not interested in overriding Buhari. It is obvious the senators who are compiling names are led by PDP senator Sekibo. However, I expect it to fall like a pack of cards. You should expect it to with your experience of Nigerian politics.
Lawan who said the senate is a buhari senate is not a rubber stamp? grin grin grin
You're shoring up a dead tree

My brother,tinubu never prevented saraki from doing anything,saraki never wanted to do anything,it was all politics..lawan has a point to prove and he will do it.sekibo or any other pdp senator is not leading anything or else they would not get 81 signatures.this bill esp the direct primary clause favours apc senators more since majority of them are usually at the mercy of the governors.in pdp,they usually have a right of first refusal.lawan has always been better than saraki,fortunately this move will clearly reveal it

1 Like

Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by garfield1: 10:46am On Dec 22, 2021
MondayOsunbor:

fear of DSS is the beginning of wisdom

Too late.buhari is not axtually bothered about the bill,its governors and malami
Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by Agbegbaorogboye: 10:48am On Dec 22, 2021
garfield1:

My brother,tinubu never prevented saraki from doing anything,saraki never wanted to do anything,it was all politics..lawan has a point to prove and he will do it.sekibo or any other pdp senator is not leading anything or else they would not get 81 signatures.this bill esp the direct primary clause favours apc senators more since majority of them are usually at the mercy of the governors.in pdp,they usually have a right of first refusal.lawan has always been better than saraki,fortunately this move will clearly reveal it

Can Lawan or Saraki singlehandedly override the president? They need 73 senators at least on their sides to do any such thing. Saraki presented the electoral bill to Buhari 3 times and Buhari kept on returning it.
The APC senators were offered free return to the senate by APC as long as they stayed away from Saraki especially when he ported to PDP. Even Buhari later apologized to him for all the maltreatment his office received or did you not read that story?
The funny thing is Buhar himself actually wants an independent legislature. It is the Tinubu elements that want a rubberstamp.
So if you are talking of who is better based on overriding the President, I will have you know that it is not a one-man affair. But even at that, I can bet 100% that it will not happen. The house is closed for the year not so? The senate is meeting today to close as well. By next year, story will have changed. We are looking at a very interesting December/January

1 Like

Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by fergie001: 10:50am On Dec 22, 2021
garfield1:
I have told you several times that your disappointment or appraisal of me is immaterial and inconsequential, because it comes from a position that suits your will.

If you follow the reports..Lawan and the Presiding Officers are the main people against the veto. I will be here after the "veto" from the NA.
Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by slowice(m): 10:52am On Dec 22, 2021
It will be the first time rubber stamp boy would do something meaningful..... If
Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by garfield1: 10:56am On Dec 22, 2021
Agbegbaorogboye:

Can Lawan or Saraki singlehandedly override the president? They need 73 senators at least on their sides to do any such thing. Saraki presented the electoral bill to Buhari 3 times and Buhari kept on returning it.
The APC senators were offered free return to the senate by APC as long as they stayed away from Saraki especially when he ported to PDP. Even Buhari later apologized to him for all the maltreatment his office received or did you not read that story?
The funny thing is Buhar himself actually wants an independent legislature. It is the Tinubu elements that want a rubberstamp.
So if you are talking of who is better based on overriding the President, I will have you know that it is not a one-man affair. But even at that, I can bet 100% that it will not happen. The house is closed for the year not so? The senate is meeting today to close as well. By next year, story will have changed. We are looking at a very interesting December/January

Firstly,send me the link where buhari apologized to saraki.if saraki wanted that bill passed,he would have done so or at least attempted to.it is unprecedented.even if the house of reps refuse to override and only tge Senate does,lawan has made history for the attempt.
You believe lawan led Senate wont override that is why I want you to place him above saraki if he does.by the way,there are other things lawan did better than saraki

1 Like

Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by leokid866: 11:01am On Dec 22, 2021
garfield1:

considering current power standings i think a lot of the pdp governors might want to jump into the Senate to remain relevant come 2023......cause the party has sustained massive losses this year and since a lot of them won't be coming back as governor in 2023 the Senate seems like the safest place for them.......I still see massive defections from the party before then which is why I believe they are struggling for the complete control of the party......just my thoughts
Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by leokid866: 11:03am On Dec 22, 2021
Agbegbaorogboye:

Don't be deceived, Saraki never left pdp.
Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by garfield1: 11:04am On Dec 22, 2021
fergie001:

I have told you several times that your disappointment or appraisal of me is immaterial and inconsequential, because it comes from a position that suits your will.

If you follow the reports..Lawan and the Presiding Officers are the main people against the veto. I will be here after the "veto" from the NA.

And if you follow the reports well,81 are in support.there's nothing lawan can do.the best thing for him is to be neutral. The presidency installed him so he will try to be careful plus buni is ready to deal with him.dont forget the ken nnamani treatment
Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by LordOfTheGame: 11:09am On Dec 22, 2021
Stupid Nigerian government and useless politics.
Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by respect80(m): 11:12am On Dec 22, 2021
nzeobi:

I agree with some of the things you said. But stop believing that direct primaries allows the candiates to test their popularity in the Nigerian context cos it's more fraudulent and easy to manipulate cos you don't know the number of people that will be voting.
Look at what Ahmed gulak did in IMO State.
Look at the primaries APC conducted in anambra and osun state.
For the issue of direct primaries being easy to manipulate. It's not as you think because the votes for direct primaries will only be casted by registered and card carrying members of each political party.
The questions that are left to be answered now include
1.will it now become the responsibility of the masses to be registered members of all the political parties out there?
2.If yes, does the bill make provisions to actualize such, especially the time, financial aspect and the will of the masses to strive to become a registered and a card carrying member of all the political parties out there?
3.If no, how do they plan to achieve this because for instance, an individual may be a registered member of PDP and prefers to vote for a PDP governorship candidate but may prefer to vote for an APC senatorial candidate. How can such individual participate in the process of voting at the primary stages of election?

After given this a thought, I feel that if there's no provision for individuals to be a registered member of all the political parties out there so as to be able to participate in the election process of an individual to be the flag bearer of each political party then things should be left the way they are. parties should be allowed to decide between direct or indirect primaries for themselves.
Another alternative I thought of is for INEC to make provision on the ballot paper where individuals can express their choice by indicating that they are not interested in any of the candidates provided by the political parties contending for a position and if such vote turns out to win the majority, then such election should be declared null and void and the candidates involved be disqualified. cheesy
The masses shouldn't be left to choose between demon and Satan all the time cheesy
Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by gbami(m): 11:13am On Dec 22, 2021
If anyone believes that this 9th Assembly led by the Senate president can override the president, you actually need to get your head checked. If the president tells the Senate president to submit his wife for Bleep ...he will do it without a question.
This 9th Senate is the definition of rubber stamp.
Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by shuttox: 11:17am On Dec 22, 2021
Dapson73:

Governors and Malami are against the bill and not an ethnic issue,just the power that be.
Not all Governors...Wike is not among
Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by Agbegbaorogboye: 11:20am On Dec 22, 2021
garfield1:

Firstly,send me the link where buhari apologized to saraki.if saraki wanted that bill passed,he would have done so or at least attempted to.it is unprecedented.even if the house of reps refuse to override and only tge Senate does,lawan has made history for the attempt.
You believe lawan led Senate wont override that is why I want you to place him above saraki if he does.by the way,there are other things lawan did better than saraki

I don't need to send you a link. Saraki said it when he met with Buhari and the presidency never denied it.
That said. like I told you, this is just like 2018 when senators wanted the senatorial election to hold before the presidential election so that they gain an advantage by the President's political fate being tied to theirs. Remind me how that ended.
Lawan senate will not. You should understand Nigerian politics by now. If they will, the plenary yesterday would have shown signs. Don't worry. I will concede to your infantile request. If the Senate overrides Buhari then Lawan is the best Nigerian Senate President ever!! Even better than Nnamani. But you should also accept that if he does not, then the senate is a rubberstamp and Lawan is the worst Senate President ever!! Even worse than Adolphus Wabara. Are you game?
Tell me what he has done better than Saraki.
Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by Agbegbaorogboye: 11:21am On Dec 22, 2021
Yeah. That's what Tinubu brigands say. I guess Amaechi left PDP right?
leokid866:

Don't be deceived, Saraki never left pdp.

1 Like

Re: Electoral Bill: 81 Senators Sign To Override President Buhari by fergie001: 11:25am On Dec 22, 2021
garfield1:
And if you follow the reports well,81 are in support.there's nothing lawan can do.the best thing for him is to be neutral. The Presidency installed him so he will try to be careful plus buni is ready to deal with him.dont forget the ken nnamani treatment
You brought in Lawan and Saraki, didn't you?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Banky W: Re-Run Primaries Hold Today June 6 / 2023: Supreme Court Affirms Sherriff Oborevwori As Delta PDP Guber Candidate / $3M Bribery: Otedola Submits Evidence To Police

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.