Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,184 members, 7,860,252 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 08:22 AM

Resource Control: Edwin Clark Tackles Obasanjo, Recalls Ugly Past - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Resource Control: Edwin Clark Tackles Obasanjo, Recalls Ugly Past (13104 Views)

South-West Governors Propose Six Regions, Demand LG Autonomy, Resource Control / Lauretta Onochie Tackles Obasanjo On Fulanisation Claim / Again, Soyinka Tackles Obasanjo Over Atiku Endorsement (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Resource Control: Edwin Clark Tackles Obasanjo, Recalls Ugly Past by Igboid: 11:33am On Dec 23, 2021
tommy589:

Awolowo was an apostle for a loose federation. No other leader was ready to listen to minorities agitations for their own region, but he did by creating Midwest out of Western region. I don't know the facts behind revenue sharing, but I am sure he won't hold back what rightfully belong to the Midwest.

Bendelites are too intelligent for anyone to take them for a ride. If Awolowo marginalised Midwest that later became Bendel state, they won't vote massively for Prof. Ambrose Ali, Awolowo's UPN party governorship flag bearer in 1979 election

Awolowo never supported the creation of Midwest!
Infact! Yorubas tried to stop Midwest referendum by telling Midwest minorities that the Igbos (Anioma) will dominate them in the new region with the help of their brothers in the Eastern region.
Stop talking nonsense.

5 Likes

Re: Resource Control: Edwin Clark Tackles Obasanjo, Recalls Ugly Past by Nobody: 11:35am On Dec 23, 2021
The sad truth is a lot of Niger delta people benefited from Niger Delta. A lot.

But as the african man that we are, all the money was used to buy cars, houses, women, vacation and expensive things.
Things that have no development value.

Now we are complaining

1 Like

Re: Resource Control: Edwin Clark Tackles Obasanjo, Recalls Ugly Past by nku5: 11:43am On Dec 23, 2021
tommy589:

Awolowo was an apostle for a loose federation. No other leader was ready to listen to minorities agitations for their own region, but he did by creating Midwest out of Western region. I don't know the facts behind revenue sharing, but I am sure he won't hold back what rightfully belong to the Midwest.

Bendelites are too intelligent for anyone to take them for a ride. If Awolowo marginalised Midwest that later became Bendel state, they won't vote massively for Prof. Ambrose Ali, Awolowo's UPN party governorship flag bearer in 1979 election

The Western region fought tooth and nail to stop the Midwest from leaving but were very eager to support the exit of minorities from the Eastern region. If not that Awolowo was in detention, the referendum would never have happened.

3 Likes

Re: Resource Control: Edwin Clark Tackles Obasanjo, Recalls Ugly Past by seunayantokun(m): 11:44am On Dec 23, 2021
Advocate500:
Thank God is coming from one of their elder ,so under Michael okpara ,the oil producing state was receiving 50% derivation? Under the one Nigeria they supported the killing of their neighbours because of the same oil they are made to enjoy only 13%.

But some people have been pushing a narrative that the igbos marginalised the oil producing state under the defunct old eastern region. So it's was actually the west that marginalised the midwest, we are learning, the truth will be made open one day and all this fairytales of igbos hating the people of niger delta will be led to rest with facts that will be glaring to all.

I don't support any form of marginalisation but Niger Delta people have to be united to fight their battle. When they had one voice under Obasanjo, derivation was moved up to 13%. They can do better but their politicians are betraying the trust of the people they represent. The story is the same in the west.
When they were part of the Eastern Region, how were they treated? What did they do to help themselves? Edwin Clark 'explained the northern region was well coordinated in the joint ownership of assets compared to South East region, a situation that badly affected them at the time.'
Re: Resource Control: Edwin Clark Tackles Obasanjo, Recalls Ugly Past by Igboid: 11:53am On Dec 23, 2021
seunayantokun:

I don't support any form of marginalisation but Niger Delta people have to be united to fight their battle. When they had one voice under Obasanjo, derivation was moved up to 13%. They can do better but their politicians are betraying the trust of the people they represent. The story is the same in the west.
When they were part of the Eastern Region, how were they treated? What did they do to help themselves? Edwin Clark 'explained the northern region was well coordinated in the joint ownership of assets compared to South East region, a situation that badly affected them at the time.'

Clark is an old man probably suffering from dementia.

5 Likes

Re: Resource Control: Edwin Clark Tackles Obasanjo, Recalls Ugly Past by COCKCROW: 11:57am On Dec 23, 2021
YOU KNOW THE REASON WHY OBASONJO DID WHAT HE DID; BECAUSE OF YOUR HATRED FOR IBOS AND YOUR LIKE FOOLISHNESS. MORE IS COMING. WHERE IS ISAAC BORO, SERA WIWA ETC. IT IS THE BEGINNING.
Re: Resource Control: Edwin Clark Tackles Obasanjo, Recalls Ugly Past by GGirll: 12:05pm On Dec 23, 2021
Nchenches:

They blew their chances to control the resources found in their backyard wnen some so-called elders of the now SS region went to Kaduna in 1967, and begged the then governor of Northern region, Hassan Katsina, to beg then HoS, Yakubu Gowon, to carve the non-Igbo speaking areas of the old Eastern region out from Biafra.

Gowon quickly carved Cross River and Rivers states out of Biafra.
Immediately after that, northern politicians and soldiers grabbed the multi million dollars oil blocks in the southsouth for keeps.

Carving Cross River and Rivers states from Biafra contributed to the early fall of riverine areas to Nigeria and which led ultimately to defeat for Biafra.

Unfortunately, there may still be pockets of elders now in the SS like those erratic elders of the old.

My dear as long as the SS region went to beg their passived enemies to carve them out from igbos who and still supports them,then let them lick up their wounds n stop disturbing us. No matter what happens to them now, I really don't care as none of them.cares about the igbos n have shown it in different ways, I don't lie to myself n so I don't care at all. All I'm saying is that those old people from every region who has in one way or the other caused d pains n woes of Nigeria, God Almighty should make their death a very excruciating one n punish them with hell after death period.

1 Like

Re: Resource Control: Edwin Clark Tackles Obasanjo, Recalls Ugly Past by Uchek(m): 12:06pm On Dec 23, 2021
"Some states tried to buy the DISCOS within their states so as to be in charge, the foolish drunkard stopped the states from bidding."

Are you for real? I have also wondered why the states were not sold the DISCOS within their states which will allow them to manage it efficiently for the benefit of their states. I never knew DUMBO refused to allow that. He is a monumental disappointment.

I still believe GEJ didn't do any tangible thing for the people of the Niger Delta.

The people of the Niger Delta gained no meaningful project under GEJ. The guy is a disaster.

See the way GMB handle the PIB matter, GEJ could have done all within his power to make sure the PIB was passed with the bill favouring the Niger Delta. Even if it means he will bribe to make sure it is pass

Some states tried to buy the DISCOS within their states so as to be in charge, the foolish drunkard stopped the states from bidding.

He eventually sold it to incompetent people/companies with clause that will make it extremely expensive if the FG decide to cancel the contract.[/quote]
Re: Resource Control: Edwin Clark Tackles Obasanjo, Recalls Ugly Past by Uchek(m): 12:09pm On Dec 23, 2021
Are you non-Igbo from former Eastern Nigeria?

Thoh:
Old eastern region was dominated by Ibos..
Ibos took everything upon themselves.. ibos are worst than Fulanis when in power..

Some idiot ipigs say we Ijaws should go back to the disaster eastern region....thunder fire them
Re: Resource Control: Edwin Clark Tackles Obasanjo, Recalls Ugly Past by Thoh(m): 12:34pm On Dec 23, 2021
Uchek:

are you non-hausa from nigeria?
Re: Resource Control: Edwin Clark Tackles Obasanjo, Recalls Ugly Past by Thoh(m): 12:35pm On Dec 23, 2021
Uchek:

are you non-Yoruba from nigeria?
Re: Resource Control: Edwin Clark Tackles Obasanjo, Recalls Ugly Past by tommy589(m): 12:46pm On Dec 23, 2021
Igboid:

Awolowo never supported the creation of Midwest!
Infact! Yorubas tried to stop Midwest referendum by telling Midwest minorities that the Igbos (Anioma) will dominate them in the new region with the help of their brothers in the Eastern region.
Stop talking nonsense.

Yorubas stopped the creation? A Yoruba man in Action group, Hon. M.S Sowole raised the creation of Midwest in Western region house of assembly in 1955.
You should check Google.

How come other region did not listen to the voice of the minorities in their midst for their own separate region. Is it not that agitation for fair dealings that led Adaka Boro to declare Niger delta republic out of Eastern Region

1 Like

Re: Resource Control: Edwin Clark Tackles Obasanjo, Recalls Ugly Past by louqas: 12:48pm On Dec 23, 2021
mystery22:
clown keep deceiving yourself,who are the best brains in Nigeria currently?....ok let's divide if you truly believe so,you and your papa say no...even fought and died to keep us together...

That's the mentality that drives you people ......na we sabi pass everybody. The iboman wont take it that anybody sabi pass them. This is the main source of friction between ibos and other tribes.

Azikwe signed away your destiny to one Nigeria with this mentality too and the belief that since na only ibos sabi everything they will Lord it over other tribes and them go them.....una don see mumu

2 Likes

Re: Resource Control: Edwin Clark Tackles Obasanjo, Recalls Ugly Past by tommy589(m): 12:48pm On Dec 23, 2021
nku5:

The Western region fought tooth and nail to stop the Midwest from leaving but were very eager to support the exit of minorities from the Eastern region. If not that Awolowo was in detention, the referendum would never have happened.

Before, it was Awolowo that did not give Midwest their rightful share from Western region when they exited. Now, Midwest creation was possible because Awolowo was in prison. Meanwhile, Midwest was created June 1963 while Awolowo was sentenced to prison Sept. 11 1963. Google it

1 Like

Re: Resource Control: Edwin Clark Tackles Obasanjo, Recalls Ugly Past by nku5: 12:59pm On Dec 23, 2021
tommy589:

Before, it was Awolowo that did not give Midwest their rightful share from Western region when they exited. Now, Midwest creation was possible because Awolowo was in prison. Meanwhile, Midwest was created June 1963 while Awolowo was sentenced to prison Sept. 11 1963. Google it

Was Awolowo not arrested in 1962? Confirm please

For more details on the minorities experience in the Western region you can check this thread
https://www.nairaland.com/5855752/minorities-testimonies-willinks-commission-life

1 Like

Re: Resource Control: Edwin Clark Tackles Obasanjo, Recalls Ugly Past by Igboid: 1:03pm On Dec 23, 2021
tommy589:

Yorubas stopped the creation? A Yoruba man in Action group, Hon. M.S Sowole raised the creation of Midwest in Western region house of assembly in 1955.
You should check Google.

How come other region did not listen to the voice of the minorities in their midst for their own separate region. Is it not that agitation for fair dealings that led Adaka Boro to declare Niger delta republic out of Eastern Region

Stop talking nonsense.
The details for Midwest creation is well known, you can check here for full details!

https://www.dawodu.com/omoigui22.htm

Adaka Boro declared for Niger Delta republic because his plan to unsettle Eastern region, the then most peaceful region, with the help of Saraduna failed the moment he learnt that Saraduna was killed in the coup.
It had nothing to do with non existent marginalization.

https://punchng.com/northern-nigeria-encouraged-isaac-boros-12-day-revolution-brother-david/?amp

The Willink commission investigated the complaint of marginalization by Eastern minorities and exonerated Ndiigbo, but when same was done for Western region, Yorubas were found guilty.
https://www.nairaland.com/5855752/minorities-testimonies-willinks-commission-life

https://www.nairaland.com/5851640/eastern-region-series-cor-movement

3 Likes

Re: Resource Control: Edwin Clark Tackles Obasanjo, Recalls Ugly Past by tommy589(m): 1:09pm On Dec 23, 2021
nku5:

Was Awolowo not arrested in 1962? Confirm please

Confirmed

But why did minorities in other region not have referendum? I will like an answer

You should read this two books written by him, Thoughts on the Nigerian Constitution and path to Nigerian freedom,to have an idea of his mindset. He wanted loose federation where minorities have rights to self rule
Re: Resource Control: Edwin Clark Tackles Obasanjo, Recalls Ugly Past by Igboid: 1:12pm On Dec 23, 2021
tommy589:

Confirmed

But why did minorities in other region not have referendum? I will like an answer

You should read this two books written by him, Thoughts on the Nigerian Constitution and path to Nigerian freedom,to have an idea of his mindset. He wanted loose federation where minorities have rights to self rule

He wanted non of those things,stop talking nonsense.
All he wanted was to position his Yoruba people and himself better.
Which in itself isn't a bad thing.

1 Like

Re: Resource Control: Edwin Clark Tackles Obasanjo, Recalls Ugly Past by Sunday2021: 1:19pm On Dec 23, 2021
Advocate500:
Thank God is coming from one of their elder ,so under Michael okpara ,the oil producing state was receiving 50% derivation? Under the one Nigeria they supported the killing of their neighbours because of the same oil they are made to enjoy only 13%.

But some people have been pushing a narrative that the igbos marginalised the oil producing state under the defunct old eastern region. So it's was actually the west that marginalised the midwest, we are learning, the truth will be made open one day and all this fairytales of igbos hating the people of niger delta will be led to rest with facts that will be glaring to all.
this is a story from one person, wait until you get more stories before passing your judgement.
Re: Resource Control: Edwin Clark Tackles Obasanjo, Recalls Ugly Past by nku5: 1:28pm On Dec 23, 2021
tommy589:

Confirmed

I respect your intellectual sagacity and honesty. Awo may have written about minority rights in his book but did not practice it when the chips were down in the Western region.

The north tried to put down the Tiv agitation by force and that's partly what led to the civil war. The eastern minorities too were agitating but I can't say it was so serious. Maybe you have facts to the contrary.

1 Like

Re: Resource Control: Edwin Clark Tackles Obasanjo, Recalls Ugly Past by Timmi: 1:31pm On Dec 23, 2021
valentineuwakwe:

https://dailypost.ng/2021/12/22/resource-control-edwin-clark-tackles-obasanjo-recalls-ugly-past/

It is good that the thief Chief mentioned the projects the western region did with their resources, I implore the thieving hired to mention projects in the south south that were executed by the 13% derivation that the south south have received over the years. Let him account for the unexecuted contracts that he has received for himself and his cronies companies, then he will have mouth to talk. He is a major problem to the development of the south south.
Re: Resource Control: Edwin Clark Tackles Obasanjo, Recalls Ugly Past by Kreme(m): 1:37pm On Dec 23, 2021
Ekealterego:

*Omo Igbo, do you mean,
"write home about"?

Use your punctuations and quotation marks, they are not there for decoration.
And who told you I was expressing myself in English?
Re: Resource Control: Edwin Clark Tackles Obasanjo, Recalls Ugly Past by tommy589(m): 1:50pm On Dec 23, 2021
Igboid:

Stop talking nonsense.
The details for Midwest creation is well known, you can check here for full details!

Adaka Boro declared for Niger Delta republic because his plan to unsettle Eastern region, the then most peaceful region, with the help of Saraduna failed the moment he learnt that Saraduna was killed in the coup.

https://punchng.com/northern-nigeria-encouraged-isaac-boros-12-day-revolution-brother-david/?amp

The Willink commission investigated the complaint of marginalization by Eastern minorities and exonerated Ndiigbo, but when same was done for Western region, Yorubas were found guilty.

Ride on, seems you find comfort in insulting me

I don't know who in Nigeria before the end of January 1966 that did not know Sardauna was dead. But your biased mind won't let you think through that a dead man can not influence Adaka Boro declaration of Niger Delta Republic February 23,1966

By wilinks report,the Midwest/Bendel had fears for Awolowo and Yoruba domination.But the fear mysteriously became extinct few years after when they voted overwhelmingly for Awolowo's party UPN in 1979.

Since minorities in the eastern region were fairly treated like the rest of minorities in Regional Nigeria before the creation of states. Tell me other states from the old Eastern region that voted for NPP (Zik party) outside the core Igbo states. At least their votes should have been an appreciation for fair treatment when together

How is wilink report different from Lai Mohammed officially telling the world Nigeria is eldorado. The minorities are the ones on ground that remember the majority that marginalised them and don't think they will ever forget

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Resource Control: Edwin Clark Tackles Obasanjo, Recalls Ugly Past by Eastlink(m): 2:20pm On Dec 23, 2021
Igboid:

Stop talking nonsense.

Nice one bro. Oil dey your head.

2 Likes

Re: Resource Control: Edwin Clark Tackles Obasanjo, Recalls Ugly Past by Igboid: 2:42pm On Dec 23, 2021
[quote author=tommy589 post=108751258]

was dead. But your biased mind won't let you think through that a dead man can not influence Adaka Boro declaration of Niger Delta Republic February 23,1966

Lol!
The Willink commission separated facts from fictions.
People like you don't like such things because it exposes your lies!
All the complains the Minorities brought to the commission were rationally examined and facts were separated from emotions and empty allegations.
Nope, it was not same as Lai Mohammad, the British had no reason to cover the Igbo.

I gave you a piece of interview from Adaka Boro brother which confirms what we already know before now.

By wilinks report,the Midwest/Bendel had fears for Awolowo and Yoruba domination, but the fear became extinct few years after when they voted overwhelmingly for Awolowo's party UPN in 1979.

It was post civil war and Yorubas had used the vacuum of the Igbos left to spread Igbophobic Agenda everywhere. That's all I can say about that. The Igbos were labelled the big bad wolves by the Lagos-Ibadan propaganda machine after the war, following the exaggeration of the events of Midwest March by the Biafran troops in the Midwest by Yoruba controlled media.

Since minorities in the eastern region were fairly treated like the rest of minorities in Regional Nigeria before the creation of states. Tell me other states in the old Eastern region that voted for NPP (Zik party) outside the core Igbo states. At least their votes should have been an appreciation for fair treatment when together

The facts on ground shows the Minorities were treated well by Igbos.
However in life, you can only determine how you treat people and not how they treat you back.
That the Minorities have decided to become Igbophobic towards the Igbo is their own cup of tea, it doesn't change the fact that we treated them well, you can even see it with how despite how they treated Zik in 1979 and 1983, we didn't pay them back with GEJ, rather we gave GEJ full support.

How is wilink report different from Lai Mohammed officially telling the world Nigeria is eldorado. The minorities are the ones on ground that knows the majority that marginalised them and don't think they will ever forget

Again, in Willink report, they brought what they think was marginalization and it was examined with available facts and were all found to be false.
Emotions and facts are usually at variance.
For example, emotions will make a Nigerian in the village with poor information believe that Nigeria is supplying Niger, Mali and co light for no reason while we don't have enough light in Nigeria.
Information and facts will show that Nigeria had to compensate those countries to prevent them from building their own dams in the upstream Niger River and rendering own damn redundant because of reduced volume of water.
What someone claims and the reality and facts were put to test in Willink report commission and the facts exonerated Ndiigbo.

That's all Ndiigbo care about and that matters!

If anyone say Ndiigbo marginalized minorities in the Eastern region, let them bring facts and figures let's debate, bearing in mind that crude oil was never source of income for Eastern region as Shell paid first revenue for crude oil to Nigerian government around the time Civil war was on.
Eastern region source of income were Coal, palm oil and taxation of the citizens which Igbos contributed the bulk of.

3 Likes

Re: Resource Control: Edwin Clark Tackles Obasanjo, Recalls Ugly Past by MENELIIK: 2:43pm On Dec 23, 2021
nku5:

Who were the people that granted the referendum for the mid west? If anything like that happened ( Because you guys can fabricate stories for Africa "Awolowo said"wink then it is pay back period because of the three regions then the West is the region with least minority groups yet the only one broken
Re: Resource Control: Edwin Clark Tackles Obasanjo, Recalls Ugly Past by MENELIIK: 2:50pm On Dec 23, 2021
tommy589:

I don't know who in Nigeria before the end of January 1966 that did not know Sardauna was dead. But your biased mind won't let you think through that a dead man can not influence Adaka Boro declaration of Niger Delta Republic February 23,1966

By wilinks report,the Midwest/Bendel had fears for Awolowo and Yoruba domination, but the fear became extinct few years after when they voted overwhelmingly for Awolowo's party UPN in 1979.

Since minorities in the eastern region were fairly treated like the rest of minorities in Regional Nigeria before the creation of states. Tell me other states in the old Eastern region that voted for NPP (Zik party) outside the core Igbo states. At least their votes should have been an appreciation for fair treatment when together

How is wilink report different from Lai Mohammed officially telling the world Nigeria is eldorado. The minorities are the ones on ground that knows the majority that marginalised them and don't think they will ever forget

Good one there!
Re: Resource Control: Edwin Clark Tackles Obasanjo, Recalls Ugly Past by nku5: 2:54pm On Dec 23, 2021
MENELIIK:

Who were the people that granted the referendum for the mid west? If anything like that happened ( Because you guys can fabricate stories for Africa "Awolowo said"wink then it is pay back period because of the three regions then the West is the region with least minority groups yet the only one broken

Granted how? Please go and look for the 1960 constitution and read it well. If you dont know your history well go and do research.

1 Like

Re: Resource Control: Edwin Clark Tackles Obasanjo, Recalls Ugly Past by Owologbo(m): 3:11pm On Dec 23, 2021
Abdul05:
are you now comparing gold with oil.....the gold is not enough ni ... Compared with oil.. nothing bad in sharing after all we are all Nigerians
Is gold not natural resources?
If we are sharing oil revenue, why can't we do same with gold?
You can see how bias you are with the gold is not enough na.
Re: Resource Control: Edwin Clark Tackles Obasanjo, Recalls Ugly Past by Ekealterego: 4:52pm On Dec 23, 2021
Kreme:

No sir ,I mean Omo ibo not Igbo....And are you too blind that you can't see that the statement "right home about" have been underlined when I quoted him....Whoever you are,stay off my mention if you don't want to suffer tragic loss for the remainder of this year....my 2 cents
No Sir, I meant "Omo ibo" and not Igbo. Are you too blind that you can't see that the statement "right home about" was underlined when I quoted him? ...
Whoever you are, stay off my mention if you don't want to suffer tragic loss for the remainder of this year....my 2 cents.

You are welcome!
Re: Resource Control: Edwin Clark Tackles Obasanjo, Recalls Ugly Past by tommy589(m): 4:59pm On Dec 23, 2021
[quote author=Igboid post=108752587][/quote]

From excerpts below we can see who mentored Lagos-Ibadan press on propaganda and Igbophobic agenda

An excerpt from Awos biography.

An article written by Zik himself, published on the front page of the Pilot, and entitled: "'Football Iliad, 1940 Edition'", shocked many people. It was a big step forward in an insidious campaign which had gone on for more than two years on the pages of the Pilot. A football team composed of students of the Christ the King's College, Onitsha, came to Lagos to play a 'Win the War' football match against St Gregory's College. The CKC team from Onitsha defeated St Gregory's team by 5 goals to 4. To the ordinary man in the street, let alone the highly sophisticated elements, there was nothing extraordinary or unusual in one school or college defeating another in a game of soccer. But not so with Dr Azikiwe. He saw in the sporting exploits and triumph of the team from Onitsha the inherent superiority of the easterners over their opponents, and he went to very great pains to establish this fact, by means of careful choice of words and emphasis. These extracts from the article are relevant: And then to think of the great combination of the Spartan heroes who crossed the lordly Niger, journeyed through the good earth of Benin, hurried across the domains of the Oshemawe of Ondo, of the Atanla of Owo, of the Owa of Ilesha, of the Oni of Ife, of the Alake of Abeokuta in their invasion of these islands!
Who, but heroes of mighty brawn and exceptionally developed brain would have dared to make this invasion and to succeed in carrying to their River Niger home, the Golden Fleece of InterCollegiate Soccer Championship of the Eastern and Western Provinces?
Yet they came to Lagos, they saw the irresistible defence put up by their opponents, and they conquered impressively, convincingly, and were graceful even in victory!
Could their achievement be paralleled?
Would it not be better for me to leave the answer to the laps of the gods?

On 24 August 1940, however, the same CKC team played in Ibadan against the Olubadan XI in another 'Win the War' match. The CKC were beaten 3-2 by the Olubadan XI which were an undiluted Yoruba team. Apart from sending the news to the Daily service myself, I also saw to it that it was wired to the Pilot. It was after there had been clamours in the Daily service, in form of letters to the editor, that the news of this Ibadan match was published some two weeks later in the Pilot. Even then, it was a small item on the back page, and it was explained in it that the CKC team were already tired and that some of them were in fact limping, before they went into the field against Olubadan XI. This was of course untrue.
I said before that the CKC episode was a big step forward in an insidious campaign which had gone on for more than two years on the pages of the Pilot. One or two more instances will be given. By the time the Pilot had published for a year, an important feature of the paper had become manifest. The Igbos in particular were given inordinate publicity on the pages of the paper. Perhaps this was as it should be. The Igbo had never had a share in newspaper publicity before the advent of the Pilot. But equally so, no Yoruba man of the class of the Igbos publicised in the Pilot ever had a share of publicity in any paper either. In those days one had to be an outstanding politician, a big shot in society, or a well-connected person, for one's name to appear in the Nigerian Daily Times, Nigerian Daily Telegraph andLagos Daily News. Of course if you had a friend working in the news or composing section of a paper, no matter who you were, you might be slipped in. Names of people like myself appeared in the papers simply because we were agitators or free-lance journalists. All the same, it was generally agreed that the Igbos needed all the boosting they could get.But Dr Azikiwe went about it in a manner which disgusted those of us who were used to describing citizens of Nigeria as Nigerians or Africans, and regarding their achievements as reflecting credit on Nigeria, indeed Africa, as a whole. The following are typical of the titles of front page news items and of editorial articles in the Pilot.

1. ' Ibo Young Man to Sail to U.K.' is the heading of a frontpage story and picture on September 23, 1938. The young man is Mr Jaja Wachuku, now Speaker of Nigeria's House of Representatives.
2. '14th West African Student, 10th Nigerian, 8th Ibo in U.S.A.' Another front-page story on January 28, 1939. The 8th Ibo is Mr Nwafor Orizu, now Senator in Nigeria's Upper House.
3. 'Ibo Medical Student Passes Exam In First Class Honours.' Yet another front page story, on June 26, 1940, of the brilliant success of Dr S. O. Egwuatu.
4. Editorials:
i. ' A Model Union' ( August 8, 1938) in praise of the Ibibio State Union.
ii. 'One Year Ago' ( August 18, 1938) celebrating the first anniversary of the call to the Bar of the first Ibo lawyer, in the person of Mr Justice Louis Mbanefo, now Chief Justice of the Eastern Region High Court.
iii. 'The Ibo Are Coming' ( December 31, 1938) -- The very title is sufficiently indicative of the contents.

These are but a few examples of the publicity given to Igbos as a group. But as against these, the achievements of Yorubas and, in particular, the academic laurels of their scholars received, if at all, inconspicuous notice in the Pilot. When an Igbo did or was about to do something praiseworthy, he was invariably given a two-column headline and report in the Pilot, and was always described by his ethnic origin in the headlines. But when the Ph.D. degree of London University, indeed of any university for that matter, was conferred on the first Nigerian ever, the historic news was given a small singlecolumn space in the Pilot, and the headline read: 'Nigerian Economist Passes Ph.D. London.' The scholar concerned was Dr Fadipe, a Yoruba. As late as 1945, two Nigerian law students of Cambridge University, one Yoruba and one Igbo, passed the Law Tripos Examination. The Yoruba passed with second class honours (upper division), and the Igbo also passed with second class honours but in the lower division. The latter got front page publicity in the Pilot, but the former got a small space given to him on the back page a few days after the report of his Igbo colleague had appeared. As for outstanding Yoruba public men, they were all of them daubed as 'imperialist stooges' and ' Uncle Toms'.

To you,your tribesmen are beyond mistakes. i don't like talking about the civil war,because we all lost. But i can not let it pass with your comment that atrocities of Midwest invasion were exaggerated events by Lagos-Ibadan press,when many Midwesterners are still alive to recount their horrific experiences
Re: Resource Control: Edwin Clark Tackles Obasanjo, Recalls Ugly Past by Kreme(m): 5:09pm On Dec 23, 2021
Ekealterego:

No Sir, I meant "Omo ibo" and not Igbo. Are you too blind that you can't see that the statement "right home about" was underlined when I quoted him? ...
Whoever you are, stay off my mention if you don't want to suffer tragic loss for the remainder of this year....my 2 cents.

You are welcome!
Fool!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Gej Distributes Goodluck Biscuits / 2019 Election Will Favour Buhari Even If It Is Rigged - Tony Momoh / PDP, APGA Battle For Soul Of Anambra

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.