Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,405 members, 7,815,890 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:21 PM

Do You Support Sharia Banking (Poll) - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Do You Support Sharia Banking (Poll) (4778 Views)

Poll: Are you in support of Sharia Banking?

Yes: 43% (80 votes)
No: 48% (89 votes)
Undecide: 8% (16 votes)
This poll has ended

Firstbank Nigeria Launches Its Premium Banking Lounge In Lagos & Abuja! / Do You Support The Removal Of Fuel Subsidy (poll) / Dangers Of Allowing Sanusi Lamido Implement Sharia Banking - Learn From The USA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Support Sharia Banking (Poll) by otokx(m): 2:50pm On Jun 16, 2011
Government magic has started
Re: Do You Support Sharia Banking (Poll) by michylabo(m): 3:17pm On Jun 16, 2011
ur nyash, Practice it in-door and amongst ur wives, I dnt read the koran or the Bible, Pls do not bother my daily life with ur principles. U want no interest on loan, do it to ur close friends and family. Dnt use my tax money to build a bloody f, king sharia shithole. As long as i pay tax, u shld learn to respect me. If Al queda want to build the bank fine, but not Nigerian law and tax payers money
Re: Do You Support Sharia Banking (Poll) by wazobiann: 3:29pm On Jun 16, 2011
I support Sharia Banking. Bigots at it again. The world economy is considering Islamic banking as a viable alternative to the present vampiring banking system, but for some Nigerians that love to hate Islam would ordinarily not like it. They rather die. In fact, the poster of this topic is one of them, because he is trying to call a dog a bad name in order to hang it since he prefers to use sharia instead of Islamic so as to garner more sympathizers. Well, call it sharia, islamic, jihadist, muslim, hausa, boko haram, northern, et al banking, I LOVE IT.
Re: Do You Support Sharia Banking (Poll) by Kobojunkie: 3:29pm On Jun 16, 2011
nokia3310:

All the Christains, Traditional believers, Free thinkers and even agents of devil that have commented on this topic, Why do you have to take Panadol for another mans headache
1. No body will force you to bank with Islamic bank
2. Why waste your energy fighting something you cannot overcome because stopping Islamic bank will require constitutional amendments
3. Assuming you have the power to stop Islamic bank, why do you have to deny the Muslims their right to put their money where their heart belongs

we said we No want chop interest, na by force? Una dey find trouble Ooo,

We are in the year 2011, and we still have people making comments such as these. Let me educate you for one second. 16000 people have lost their lives to mostly religious violence in the country called Nigeria. Many of them hacked to death simply for not being islamic, or the right ethnicity. When you Central Bank then decides to implement Islamic Banking, in addition with Sharia which has led to the maiming (Amptations of arms, legs, etc. of innocent lives in the north) and the institutionalization of such practices as Almajirism(some state governors actually spend millions of dollars to feed them come festival season), you and every ought to take this panadol because, dufus, it is YOUR COUNTRY AND PEOPLE AS WELL that will likely be affected in the end.

Sharia/Islam did not INVENT no-interest banking. If Banks want to offer No-interest banking services, they ought to be able to do that without needing to link it to one religion, or another. We do not need the CBN making policies for [b]RELIGIOUS [/b]banking when it can simply make policies that apply across the board.
Re: Do You Support Sharia Banking (Poll) by Doyin2(m): 4:06pm On Jun 16, 2011
Kobojunkie:

We are in the year 2011, and we still have people making comments such as these. Let me educate you for one second. 16000 people have lost their lives to mostly religious violence in the country called Nigeria. Many of them hacked to death simply for not being islamic, or the right ethnicity. When you Central Bank then decides to implement Islamic Banking, in addition with Sharia which has led to the maiming (Amptations of arms, legs, etc. of innocent lives in the north) and the institutionalization of such practices as Almajirism(some state governors actually spend millions of dollars to feed them come festival season), you and every ought to take this panadol because, dufus, it is YOUR COUNTRY AND PEOPLE AS WELL that will likely be affected in the end.

Sharia/Islam did not INVENT no-interest banking. If Banks want to offer No-interest banking services, they ought to be able to do that without needing to link it to one religion, or another. We do not need the CBN making policies for RELIGIOUS [/b]banking when it can simply make policies that apply across the board.

Is Kobojunkie contribution more superior?I leave the answer to only intelligent ones to decide.

Amputation of hands,according to the sharia law,is meant to be applied(only by the sharia court,no other person or group of persons),where a [b]muslim
suspect have been found guilty of Stealing.So I wonder what kobojunkie means by maiming innocent lives!

Everything about Sharia is all about promoting morality and sever punishment for evil.Only the evil doer will not support sharia.GOD himself has promised Hell fire for evil doers,so what are we talking about

We all know that interest or usury is condemned by both religions,I just wonder what the problem is:may be INTOLERANCE.

NO BODY WILL FORCE YOU TO BANK WITH A NON-INTEREST BANK (ISLAMIC BANK IF U PREFER)AND NEITHER IS THE GOVERNMENT GOING TO FUND SUCH A BANK WITH TAX PAYERS MONEY.IT IS OPEN TO THOSE WHO CAN AFFORD THE MINIMUM CAPITAL REQUIREMENT TO SET IT UP,JUST LIKE ANY OTHER CONVENTIONAL BANK.

Pls only those who have read the CBN guideline on the establilshement of this bank should comment.

We have catholic mission schools,health centers, Nigerian Red Cross and the likes in Nigeria,patronised by both xtians and muslims.It is only when it comes to islamic related institutions that the intolerant xtians would start raising unnecessary sentiments.

As a muslim,I attended St.Finbarr's college,Akoka ,because my parents considered the quality and benefits of going to such a school.I was always at the early morning congregation conducted of course in a xtian way.If we were to consider the religious implication,perhaps I would have attended Anwarul-Islam college or Muslim High school,etc.

Xtians should learn to be tolerant !
Re: Do You Support Sharia Banking (Poll) by md4real(m): 4:11pm On Jun 16, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Sharia/Islam did not INVENT no-interest banking. If Banks want to offer No-interest banking services, they ought to be able to do that without needing to link it to one religion, or another. We do not need the CBN making policies for [b]RELIGIOUS [/b]banking when it can simply make policies that apply across the board.

islamic banking is simply a non interest banking system. why the fuss?
Re: Do You Support Sharia Banking (Poll) by Kobojunkie: 4:12pm On Jun 16, 2011
md4real:

islamic banking is simply a non interest banking system. why the fuss?

The answer to your question is in the post you responded to. Take time to READ IT!
Re: Do You Support Sharia Banking (Poll) by Doyin2(m): 4:13pm On Jun 16, 2011
I have a dream for Nigeria and the world in general.

-A Nigeria where every Xtian would read the Quran and every muslim,the Bible

-A Nigeria where a xtian will accept that his fellow muslim is his brother and vice versa

-A Nigeria where a muslim and xtian will accept that they were created by the same GOD and that each person has a right to choose his own way of worshiping that same creator and to provide the enabling environment to do so

-A Nigeria where a christian would say salam alaeykum(Peace of GOD be unto you) to his muslim brother and the latter,Jesus bless you to the former,all in the name of love,peace and religious harmony

-A Nigeria where religious hatred,fighting and killings because of intolerance, fanaticism,poverty and ignorance,would be confined to history

I have a dream,
Re: Do You Support Sharia Banking (Poll) by vitality22(m): 4:18pm On Jun 16, 2011
Though i grew up in the North (MInna to be precise), and am a Christian, i think i like this islamic banking if it will not be islamically politicise
Re: Do You Support Sharia Banking (Poll) by ow11(m): 4:20pm On Jun 16, 2011
Doyin!:

I have a dream for Nigeria and the world in general.

-A Nigeria where every Xtian would read the Quran and every muslim,the Bible

-A Nigeria where a xtian will accept that his fellow muslim is his brother and vice versa

-A Nigeria where a muslim and xtian will accept that they were created by the same GOD and that each person has a right to choose his own way of worshiping that same creator and to provide the enabling environment to do so

-A Nigeria where a christian would say salam alaeykum(Peace of GOD be unto you) to his muslim brother and the latter,Jesus bless you to the former,all in the name of love,peace and religious harmony

-A Nigeria where religious hatred,fighting and killings because of intolerance, fanaticism,poverty and ignorance,would be confined to history

I have a dream,

If Obama can rule the USA then all this would happen. It would take longer but one day our children will wonder why on earth we thought that being born from a certain tribe made you lesser human being.

We have over 70million muslims and their voices need to be heard! If they want Sharia banking, then so be it! You are not mandated to bank in it. My grouse would be if the FG has to fund said bank like the way they fund Hajj and other religious tenets which are meant to be personal.
Re: Do You Support Sharia Banking (Poll) by nokia3310: 4:34pm On Jun 16, 2011
Kobojunkie:

You actually need education yourself, how can you drag with someone over what he has the right to do? The riots you mentioned, what was the caused? The northerners said they wanted Sharia but some minority groups and your southern brothers/sisters residing in the north said that is not possible and consequently it lead to violence, Do you think the few northerners living in the south can oppose whatever life the southerners decided to live? The sharia in the north did not deprive the Christians their rights, they owned and worship in churches located in various strategic locations, but in contrast i'm even aware of several incidents where a Muslim (in porthacourt to be more precise) wanted to acquire a land and they told he has to write an agreement with the local authority that upon completion of the building, if he turn it to a prayer house (mosque),  that they will cease it, so who is causing the riots now? answer that question yourself.
Re: Do You Support Sharia Banking (Poll) by Kobojunkie: 4:45pm On Jun 16, 2011
nokia3310:

You actually need education yourself, how can you drag with someone over what he has the right to do? The riots you mentioned, what was the caused? The northerners said they wanted Sharia but some minority groups and your southern brothers/sisters residing in the north said that is not possible and consequently it lead to violence,
That is NOT TRUE. Where did you get this one from again? Seriously, don't assume you are speaking to UNINFORMED individuals just because you are online. Jeezzz!!!
nokia3310:

Do you think the few northerners living in the south can oppose whatever life the southerners decided to live? The sharia in the north did not deprive the Christians their rights, they owned and worship in churches located in various strategic locations, but in contrast i'm even aware of several incidents where a Muslim (in porthacourt to be more precise) wanted to acquire a land and they told he has to write an agreement with the local authority that upon completion of the building, if he turn it to a prayer house (mosque),  that they will cease it, so who is causing the riots now? answer that question yourself.

I am sorry but again, you are ill-informed and I suggest you start by getting yourself better informed, especially if you are new to this forum. Ignorance is not bliss here!

a) Northerners never did vote on whether to have Sharia or not. It was added to the Constitution by their leaders --- the ordinary citizens didn't get to vote on it.  - one correction for you. So your rambling on southerners opposing and notherners and blah blah blah . .  is just that, ramblings. It is irrelevant since there was never a general vote on that decision.

b) Opposition to Sharia here is not on religious grounds -- the results of what it has to offer us are here, and it is not good so far. Turning more citizens into wards of the Government is not what any sensible government system should be into. We have already seen the dividends of Sharia in the North. From the religious riots, to the maimings, to the irresponsible spending of funds during muslim festivals by the Governments etc. We have seen it, and we choose to say no to it, even when it is only the islamics, people claim, that are affected.

c) 16000 people have met their deaths since the institutionalization of Sharia in our system. How many more before we realize we may need to pursue paths more removed from this and every other religion since in Nigeria this is not working for us?

d) Since Sharia took over, many more of our Northern brothers are uneducated, and more radical. Sharia, rather than helped IMPROVE the lives of the millions, has robbed them to the point that the north is now a time bomb that the south is afraid of. 

e) Whether you want to tag it "Sharia" banking or "Islamic" banking, the point is our system needs to DISTANCE itself from religions at this point, since we know now that it is the reason for much of the chaos in the nation today.
Re: Do You Support Sharia Banking (Poll) by michylabo(m): 4:49pm On Jun 16, 2011
nokia 3310, go practice watever u want in ur bedroom wit ur clan, but dnt force it on pple or use tax money to build anytin, As long as u r doing it in ur house no wahala.
Re: Do You Support Sharia Banking (Poll) by Khams: 4:53pm On Jun 16, 2011
@Doyin,
Please dont waste your time trying to explain the principle of Islamic Banking that they prefer to call "Sharia Banking". Their minds are closed and any thing that has the slightest Islamic ramification will be attacked blindly. People should learn to look at things with an opened mind to learn and understand its benefits or otherwise.
So please save your breath they are too biased to see beyond their nose. angry angry
Re: Do You Support Sharia Banking (Poll) by trukim: 4:55pm On Jun 16, 2011
Investigation revealed that in many of the countries where non-interest banking is practiced,investors do not see it from a religious viewpoint,rather as an alternative finance window that offer them  better borrowing terms-where they can share profit with the lender rather than pay excruciating interest rate.

The British parliament enacted quite number of acts and regulations to encourage the introduction  of Islamic banking,which led to the establishment of first Islamic banking the UK called the  Islamic bank of Britain.The first managing director of Islamic bank of Britain Mr.Michael halon and the current chief executive Mr. Garry Deegan were said to be non-adherents  of Islamic religion.city bank,HSBC and Lloyd bank had their subsidiaries or windows providing Islamic Banking to their customers in UK and around the world.

France and Germany are taking a cue from Britain to facilitate Islamic finance .In countries such as Malaysia,it was reported that majority of the customers of  Islamic banking service are not Muslims.There are Islamic banks in Senegal,Gambia, guinea,Niger,Egypt,Kenya and Tanzania ,while other countries such as Uganda are in the process of setting policy frame work to enable Islamic banking, so to me ,the issue just a matter of interest.
Re: Do You Support Sharia Banking (Poll) by Kobojunkie: 5:00pm On Jun 16, 2011
trukim:

Investigation revealed that in many of the countries where non-interest banking is practiced,investors do not see it from a religious viewpoint,rather as an alternative finance window that offer them  better borrowing terms-where they can share profit with the lender rather than pay excruciating interest rate.

The British parliament enacted quite number of acts and regulations to encourage the introduction  of Islamic banking,which led to the establishment of first Islamic banking the UK called the  Islamic bank of Britain.The first managing director of Islamic bank of Britain Mr.Michael halon and the current chief executive Mr. Garry Deegan were said to be non-adherents  of Islamic religion.city bank,HSBC and Lloyd bank had their subsidiaries or windows providing Islamic Banking to their customers in UK and around the world.

France and Germany are taking a cue from Britain to facilitate Islamic finance .In countries such as Malaysia,it was reported that majority of the customers of  Islamic banking service are not Muslims.There are Islamic banks in Senegal,Gambia, guinea,Niger,Egypt,Kenya and Tanzania ,while other countries such as Uganda are in the process of setting policy frame work to enable Islamic banking, so to me ,the issue just a matter of interest.  

Investigations also reveal that many of the countries where these non-interest banking is practiced DO NOT have their CENTRAL BANKS promoting this ISLAMIC banking policies.

Investigations also reveal that many of these countries DO NOT have institutionalized SHARIA practices, and most all of them are not currently dealing with RELIGIOUS riots in any form close to that experienced in Nigeria so far.

Investigations reveal that non-interest banking policies DO NOT need to be linked to any particular religion since the idea is not really religious in origin. So we can pursue non-interest banking policies WITHOUT needing to link it to islam.
Re: Do You Support Sharia Banking (Poll) by Khams: 5:03pm On Jun 16, 2011
Its a pity that people like the KOBO DONKEY only use the internet to post statements that prove that they only use the internet for Junk rather than develop themselves. Your postings show that you dont know SHIT about nothing cry cry
Re: Do You Support Sharia Banking (Poll) by Arielle: 5:06pm On Jun 16, 2011
Are these not tenets of banking that any bank can introduce and implement? Why link it to a particular religion, especially in a country perched on an ethnic-religious time me - bomb like Nigeria?
Re: Do You Support Sharia Banking (Poll) by Kobojunkie: 5:07pm On Jun 16, 2011
Arielle:

Are these not tenets of banking that any bank can introduce and implement? Why link it to a particular religion, especially in a country perched on an ethnic-religious time me - bomb like Nigeria?

Exactly!
Re: Do You Support Sharia Banking (Poll) by md4real(m): 5:08pm On Jun 16, 2011
trukim:

this is Nigeria ans it involves the word "islam and north" so it another big deal
Re: Do You Support Sharia Banking (Poll) by pereze: 5:10pm On Jun 16, 2011
As far as it is spread across the nation and not in the northern state, why not. If it's only to operate in the north my answer is MBA, NO, IRO, Akweh Problem!
Re: Do You Support Sharia Banking (Poll) by olawalebabs(m): 5:12pm On Jun 16, 2011
@doyin dont be discourage, we enjoy your incisive and objective analysis. Keep it up
Re: Do You Support Sharia Banking (Poll) by md4real(m): 5:14pm On Jun 16, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Investigations also reveal that many of the countries where these non-interest banking is practiced DO NOT have their CENTRAL BANKS promoting this ISLAMIC banking policies.

Investigations also reveal that many of these countries DO NOT have institutionalized SHARIA practices, and most all of them are not currently dealing with RELIGIOUS riots in any form close to that experienced in Nigeria so far.

Investigations reveal that non-interest banking policies DO NOT need to be linked to any particular religion since the idea is not really religious in origin. So we can pursue non-interest banking policies WITHOUT needing to link it to islam.
you are so sounding no it all and thinks you are the center of the world. you opinion is the best and no logic can make you think twice. who regulates the banking industry in Nigerian?
those Nigeria have institutionalized sharia system in Nigeria?
man/woman, please wake up and research deeper. i just you start with what shariah in Islam implies before ranting like a typical Nigerian.
Re: Do You Support Sharia Banking (Poll) by nokia3310: 5:24pm On Jun 16, 2011
Kobojunkie:

That is NOT TRUE. Where did you get this one from again? Seriously, don't assume you are speaking to UNINFORMED individuals just because you are online. Jeezzz!!!
I am sorry but again, you are ill-informed and I suggest you start by getting yourself better informed, especially if you are new to this forum. Ignorance is not bliss here!

a) Northerners never did vote on whether to have Sharia or not. It was added to the Constitution by their leaders --- the ordinary citizens didn't get to vote on it.  - one correction for you. So your rambling on southerners opposing and notherners and blah blah blah . .  is just that, ramblings. It is irrelevant since there was never a general vote on that decision.

Thanks for educating me madam know all, but i'd like to ask, where were the Christians when the Muslim leaders added that to the constitution, thought that would've been the right time to kick against.
Re: Do You Support Sharia Banking (Poll) by Kobojunkie: 5:30pm On Jun 16, 2011
nokia3310:

Thanks for educating me madam know all, but i'd like to ask, where were the Christians when the Muslim leaders added that to the constitution, thought that would've been the right time to kick against.

Why should the Christians be the ones to kick against a policy that affects Nigeria as a whole? Why are you trying to make this some MUSLIM VS. CHRISTIAN issue? Are you saying that those whose lives and development have been AFFECTED should only be the worry of "THE CHRISTIANS"?

Maybe you should take time to think your question through. . . might help you come up with a better one.
Re: Do You Support Sharia Banking (Poll) by nokia3310: 5:35pm On Jun 16, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Why should the Christians be the ones to kick against a policy that affects Nigeria as a whole? Why are you trying to make this some MUSLIM VS. CHRISTIAN issue? Are you saying that those whose lives and development have been AFFECTED should only be the worry of "THE CHRISTIANS"?

Maybe you should take time to think your question through. . . might help you come up with a better one.

So sorry i did not include your allies Traditional believers, Sango worshipers etc.
Re: Do You Support Sharia Banking (Poll) by Kobojunkie: 5:43pm On Jun 16, 2011
nokia3310:

So sorry i did not include your allies Traditional believers, Sango worshipers etc.

I think it safe to conclude that you are coming from a biased view in this.

This issue is a NATIONAL ISSUE . . it does not belong to any one group, be they religious. The violence, the bombings, the killings, the increase in poverty rate, the increase in levels of illiteracy that has resulted, has affected the whole nation -- not just the Christians or the monks.
Re: Do You Support Sharia Banking (Poll) by nokia3310: 5:44pm On Jun 16, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Investigation reveal this, Investigation reveal that, may be you guys attended night schools otherwise you will have been taught to append references,
Re: Do You Support Sharia Banking (Poll) by dubem3(m): 6:18pm On Jun 16, 2011
The fact is that whatever name you call it, as long as it has a religious tone to it makes it not acceptable.
Just like somebody asked, if it where called a christianity bank and taken to the north, what would become of it.
The christians are made to look like fools and cowards - always trying to welcome the moslem folks that are always trying to kill them at the slightest oppurtunity.
An old man used to say that you don't keep turning the other cheek to someone who is ready to keep striking at it.
If that system of banking is soooooo goood and Sanusi has our intrest at heart lets meet at a round table, make modifications (allow the things it forbids and christians don't like someone explained earlier) and call it some other name.
Why do we keep ridiculing our education with acts that even appear to children as childish?
Its a free state and let every man be free to leave comfortably in his home
Re: Do You Support Sharia Banking (Poll) by Nobody: 8:04pm On Jun 16, 2011
What is sharia banking?

Do they reserve the right to cut off your arm in the event of a NSF (Non-sufficient funds) cheque payment? undecided
Re: Do You Support Sharia Banking (Poll) by oluwabamis(m): 8:35pm On Jun 16, 2011
Does anyone know today's date in islamic calendar, if you dont know it I will tell you. Its 14-07-1432, Islamic banking has the tendency to take this country back to that date. Nigeria is not an islamic country, religion has nothing to do with business or finance/banking, as such lets leave them separate. I rest my case
Re: Do You Support Sharia Banking (Poll) by drgica74: 8:39pm On Jun 16, 2011
We do not need Islamic banking in Nigeria because it has a religious connotation. I am not saying this because I am a christian, but because more than 70% of Nigeria will not understand the meaning and they are likely going to form a religious divide with it. Presently our mind set is not matured enough to understand what it means because of the volatile religious situation in our country.

I live in Saudi Arabia and I know the benefits of Islamic banking, but I suggest we prioritize our needs and draw a good scale of preference. Take things easy and steady, we will get their.

I bet you the cause of terrorism and violence attributed to Islam today is because those charlatans do not understand the Koran, in fact they don't read it. So they hide under the clause of Fight Jihad and get a reward in heaven to foment troubles.

True Muslims are peaceful and loving, but I blame these true Muslims for not teaching these other people.

I challenge the Muslims to  evangelize, just as Christians  preach everywhere, Muslims should go round and preach to people the true meaning of Islam. Even a greater percentage of people that call themselves Muslims do not know Islam.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigeria’s Cement Industry Rise By 1400% / Buying Online From Amazon / Which Business Can I Start With 1.5M?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.