Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,326 members, 7,836,391 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:57 AM

If God Is A Spirit, What Does It Mean To Be Created In His Image? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / If God Is A Spirit, What Does It Mean To Be Created In His Image? (4358 Views)

The Sleep Paralysis I Had: Could This Be A Spirit Wife? / Can A Christian Be Truly POSSESSED By An Evil Spirit? What The Bible Truly Says / Help!! I Have A Spirit/Marine Wife. I Need Deliverance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

If God Is A Spirit, What Does It Mean To Be Created In His Image? by tctrills: 5:51pm On Dec 24, 2021
Is God a spirit? Does he have body parts? The bible states that we are in his image and Jesus Christ is his express image. Is Jesus Christ also a spirit?
Re: If God Is A Spirit, What Does It Mean To Be Created In His Image? by Hashabiah: 5:58pm On Dec 24, 2021
tctrills:
Is God a spirit? Does he have body parts? The bible states that we are in his image and Jesus Christ is his express image. Is Jesus Christ also a spirit?
According to the bible, God is a spirit(John 4:24). And Jesus always existed before creation of the world (John1:1-5) because He was God, but not in bodily form
Re: If God Is A Spirit, What Does It Mean To Be Created In His Image? by DispatcherLagos: 6:04pm On Dec 24, 2021
God is a spirit without flesh therefore He is omnipotent whereas man is a spirit with flesh which is a limitation to man's capabilities

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: If God Is A Spirit, What Does It Mean To Be Created In His Image? by dingbang(m): 9:12pm On Dec 24, 2021
Adam and eve ate of the fruit and their immortal bodies became mortal.

1 Like

Re: If God Is A Spirit, What Does It Mean To Be Created In His Image? by Janosky: 12:03am On Dec 25, 2021
tctrills:
Does God have eyes,ears & hands?
Yes !
God definitely have a spiritual body not visible to human eyes, Exodus 33:20. John5:37 & John 1:18.
Colossians 1:15, Jesus Christ is a Creature.
Every creature exists in the image of God.
Revelation 3:12 & John 20:17, our Father in heaven is the God &Father of Jesus in the spiritual realm.
1 Corinthians 15:45 Jesus Christ is a spirit giving life to mankind he died for.

Man possess Godlike attributes given him by God .
Re: If God Is A Spirit, What Does It Mean To Be Created In His Image? by tctrills: 12:06am On Dec 25, 2021
DispatcherLagos:
God is a spirit without flesh therefore He is omnipotent whereas man is a spirit with flesh which is a limitation to man's capabilities
But Jesup Christ has flesh is he limited?
Re: If God Is A Spirit, What Does It Mean To Be Created In His Image? by tctrills: 12:08am On Dec 25, 2021
Hashabiah:
According to the bible, God is a spirit(John 4:24). And Jesus always existed before creation of the world (John1:1-5) because He was God, but not in bodily form
What about man or the spirit of man? Did our spirits not exist before the creation of the world.

1 Like

Re: If God Is A Spirit, What Does It Mean To Be Created In His Image? by tctrills: 12:09am On Dec 25, 2021
Janosky:

Does God have eyes,ears & hands?
Yes !
God definitely have a spiritual body not visible to human eyes, Exodus 33:20. John5:37 & John 1:18.
Colossians 1:15, Jesus Christ is a Creature.
Every creature exists in the image of God.
Revelation 3:12 & John 20:17, our Father in heaven is the God &Father of Jesus in the spiritual realm.
1 Corinthians 15:45 Jesus Christ is a spirit giving life to mankind he died for.
What about man, is man not a spirit?
Re: If God Is A Spirit, What Does It Mean To Be Created In His Image? by Janosky: 12:11am On Dec 25, 2021
Hashabiah:
Exodus 4:16 , Exodus 7:1,Moses was God to the Israelites.
Moses & Jesus was godlike, divine.
Was God meaning godlike, divine (resembling God or like God).
Colossians 1:15-16 & Hebrews 1:2 , John 17:7 Jesus is a Creature existing before the creation of the universe

Re: If God Is A Spirit, What Does It Mean To Be Created In His Image? by DispatcherLagos: 12:15am On Dec 25, 2021
tctrills:
But Jesup Christ has flesh is he limited?
was limited until He left the world.
Re: If God Is A Spirit, What Does It Mean To Be Created In His Image? by Janosky: 12:23am On Dec 25, 2021
tctrills:

What about man, is man not a spirit?
Genesis 6:3, JEHOVAH says man is flesh.
1 Corinthians 15:50 flesh and blood can not dwell in heaven.
Re: If God Is A Spirit, What Does It Mean To Be Created In His Image? by tctrills: 12:40am On Dec 25, 2021
Janosky:

Genesis 6:3, JEHOVAH says man is flesh.
1 Corinthians 15:50 flesh and blood can not dwell in heaven.
But man has a spirit. How about Jesus Christ who ascended to heaven in his flesh.

1 Like

Re: If God Is A Spirit, What Does It Mean To Be Created In His Image? by tctrills: 12:43am On Dec 25, 2021
DispatcherLagos:
was limited until He left the world.
He left the world in flesh and bone.Remember he ascended to heaven in his physical form.
Re: If God Is A Spirit, What Does It Mean To Be Created In His Image? by DispatcherLagos: 12:49am On Dec 25, 2021
tctrills:

He left the world in flesh and bone.Remember he ascended to heaven in his physical form.
He died first, conquered death and other human limitations thus His ability to ascend to Heaven.
Re: If God Is A Spirit, What Does It Mean To Be Created In His Image? by tctrills: 1:02am On Dec 25, 2021
DispatcherLagos:

He died first, conquered death and other human limitations thus His ability to ascend to Heaven.
Yes but man would do the very same thing. Man would die and conquer death and other human limitations. Is Christ a spirit?
And is man a spirit?

3 Likes

Re: If God Is A Spirit, What Does It Mean To Be Created In His Image? by tctrills: 1:08am On Dec 25, 2021
DispatcherLagos:

Christ declared he is not a spirit in Luke 24.39
Luke 24:39
39 See my hands and my feet, that it is I myself. Touch me, and see. For a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see that I have
Re: If God Is A Spirit, What Does It Mean To Be Created In His Image? by tctrills: 1:10am On Dec 25, 2021
1 Corinthians 15:45 Jesus Christ is a spirit giving life to mankind he died for. .[/quote]

39 See my hands and my feet, that it is I myself. Touch me, and see. For a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see that I have
Re: If God Is A Spirit, What Does It Mean To Be Created In His Image? by DispatcherLagos: 1:17am On Dec 25, 2021
tctrills:

Of course, to be visible physically, a spirit must have a flesh it lives in. Christ was not a spirit for Q's long as He stayed here, however, His death took away the limitations accruable to having a flesh. Notice that after resurrection, he now has the ability to "appear and disappear" at will, something He didn't do throughout His 33+ years on Earth

1 Like

Re: If God Is A Spirit, What Does It Mean To Be Created In His Image? by haddeylium(m): 1:36am On Dec 25, 2021
tctrills:

Is God a spirit
YES!
God is a spirit being. Which means he's immaterial and hence invisible to fleshy humans with physical bodies.

Does he have body parts?
God is immaterial spirit being. , “at no time has anyone beheld God.” (1Jo 4:12) So, nobody knows what his spiritual body looks like.

The bible states that we are in his image and Jesus Christ is his express image.
The bible is not talking about being created in his form or shape rather about expressing his qualities that 'lower animals' do not have.
Only, his intelligent creatures have the ability to express his mental, moral and emotional qualities hence being created in his image

Is Jesus Christ also a spirit
YES! He was created as a spirit son of God

1 Like

Re: If God Is A Spirit, What Does It Mean To Be Created In His Image? by haddeylium(m): 1:40am On Dec 25, 2021
tctrills:

1 Corinthians 15:45 Jesus Christ is a spirit giving life to mankind he died for. .

Humans cannot see spirits, so the disciples evidently thought they were seeing an apparition or a vision. (Compare Mark 6:49, 50.) Jesus assured them that he was no apparition; they could see his materialized body form of flesh and could touch him, feeling the bones.

1 Like

Re: If God Is A Spirit, What Does It Mean To Be Created In His Image? by paxonel(m): 3:12am On Dec 25, 2021
IT MEANS THAT, THIS WHOLE IDEA OF CREATING THE HUMAN IMAGE THE WAY WE SEE IT TODAY, IS FROM THE SPIRIT

1 Like

Re: If God Is A Spirit, What Does It Mean To Be Created In His Image? by Cordenify(m): 3:14am On Dec 25, 2021
Re: If God Is A Spirit, What Does It Mean To Be Created In His Image? by tctrills: 3:45am On Dec 25, 2021
haddeylium:

YES!
God is a spirit being. Which means he's immaterial and hence invisible to fleshy humans with physical bodies.

God is immaterial spirit being. , “at no time has anyone beheld God.” (1Jo 4:12) So, nobody knows what his spiritual body looks like.
But man were also created as spirits

The bible is not talking about being created in his form or shape rather about expressing his qualities that 'lower animals' do not have.
Only, his intelligent creatures have the ability to express his mental, moral and emotional qualities hence being created in his image

But man was also created as a spirit son
Zechariah 12.1
1The burden of the word of the Lord for Israel, saith the Lord, which stretcheth forth the heavens, and layeth the foundation of the earth, and formeth the spirit of man within him.
Hence my question, is man also a spirit?

2 Likes

Re: If God Is A Spirit, What Does It Mean To Be Created In His Image? by tctrills: 3:46am On Dec 25, 2021
haddeylium:

Humans cannot see spirits, so the disciples evidently thought they were seeing an apparition or a vision. (Compare Mark 6:49, 50.) Jesus assured them that he was no apparition; they could see his materialized body form of flesh and could touch him, feeling the bones.
Are you saying Christ is not a spirit?
Re: If God Is A Spirit, What Does It Mean To Be Created In His Image? by OBALOLA55(m): 6:35am On Dec 25, 2021
tctrills:
grin

Re: If God Is A Spirit, What Does It Mean To Be Created In His Image? by haddeylium(m): 5:50pm On Dec 25, 2021
tctrills:

Zechariah 12.1
1The burden of the word of the Lord for Israel, saith the Lord, which stretcheth forth the heavens, and layeth the foundation of the earth, and formeth the spirit of man within him.

Now, I see where the problem is. You're mixing them as the others answering your question.
The Bible writers use the Hebrew word 'Pneuma' or Rau'ch that was translated to 'Spirit' in English. It is a polysemic word.
It is a word with different meaning. If you're not deligent in your study, you can mistake one for another.
Let me highlight those cases

1. Wind.
In context, Wind is translated from Pneuma(Spirit in English) . Understandably, as a virtue of being invisible. (Ex 10:13;(Zec 2:6). You can consult the bible dictionary and lexicon to confirm this.

2. Breath of Spirit/ life force.
The Spirit here thus thus refers to an invisible force (the spark of life) that animates all living creatures.(Gen 2:7;Psalm 104:29). The spirit here is not a person.

3. Spirit Person.
The Pneuma(Spirit) here, when referring to heavenly creatures contrast earthly creatures with fleshy and physical bodies. God is a spirit( Joh 1:18; 1Ti 1:17)).This does not mean that God is an impersonal, bodiless force like the wind.
Thanks for your time

1 Like

Re: If God Is A Spirit, What Does It Mean To Be Created In His Image? by Janosky: 10:20pm On Dec 25, 2021
tctrills:

1 Corinthians 15:45 Jesus Christ is a spirit giving life to mankind he died for. .

Romans 8:3 & Galatians 4:4 "God sent his son born of a woman.....in the likeness of men"
Luke 24:39, the resurrected Jesus appears to the disciples in a human form (without the wounds & nail marks of his death @Matt27:26).
1 Corinthians 15:3-4,45-50. The resurrected Jesus is a spirit being in heaven.
Re: If God Is A Spirit, What Does It Mean To Be Created In His Image? by tctrills: 11:19pm On Dec 25, 2021
Janosky:

Romans 8:3 & Galatians 4:4 "God sent his son born of a woman.....in the likeness of men"
Luke 24:39, the resurrected Jesus appears to the disciples in a human form (without the wounds & nail marks of his death @Matt27:26).
1 Corinthians 15:3-4,45-50. The resurrected Jesus is a spirit being in heaven.

1 Corinthians 15:3-4,45-50 never said that the resurrected Christ is a spirit in heaven. Or are we using different bibles? I am not sure the bible speaks of Jesus shedding his body to enter heaven. Please explain further. The scripture speaks of Christ ascending to heaven in flesh.
Re: If God Is A Spirit, What Does It Mean To Be Created In His Image? by tctrills: 11:27pm On Dec 25, 2021
haddeylium:

Now, I see where the problem is. You're mixing them as the others answering your question.
The Bible writers use the Hebrew word 'Pneuma' or Rau'ch that was translated to 'Spirit' in English. It is a polysemic word.
It is a word with different meaning. If you're not deligent in your study, you can mistake one for another.

1. Wind.
In context, Wind is translated from Pneuma(Spirit in English) . Understandably, as a virtue of being invisible. (Ex 10:13;(Zec 2:6). You can consult the bible dictionary and lexicon to confirm this.

The Spirit here thus thus refers to an invisible force (the spark of life) that animates all living creatures.(Gen 2:7;Psalm 104:29). The spirit here is not a person.

3. Spirit Person.
The Pneuma(Spirit) here, when referring to heavenly creatures contrast earthly creatures with fleshy and physical bodies. God is a spirit( Joh 1:18; 1Ti 1:17)).This does not mean that God is an impersonal, bodiless force like the wind.
Thanks for your time

I quoted Zachariah 12.1, not any of these you are quoting. Also, the thing with ancient Hebrew is that most scholars do not agree hence we have different explanations. Christ told the thief on the cross 'today, you would be with me in paradise. We know the thief died. his body did not go to paradise. We know Christ was not lying.
Re: If God Is A Spirit, What Does It Mean To Be Created In His Image? by tctrills: 11:33pm On Dec 25, 2021
haddeylium:

1. Wind.

3. Spirit Person.
Thanks for your time

I want to emphasize, Please if you are not a Hebrew scholar don't try to explain ancient words of Hebrew. Even ancient scholars are not always right.

So I made some research to find the meaning of Pneuma and Rau'ch. Your definitions are a bit faulty. Below are my findings from my study, I advise you to make further study on the subject.

The Hebrew ruach means “wind,” “breath,” or “spirit.” The corresponding Greek word is pneuma. Both words are commonly used in passages referring to the Holy Spirit. The word’s first use in the Bible appears in the second verse: “The Spirit of God [Ruach Elohim] was hovering over the waters” (Genesis 1:2). In Genesis 6:17 ruach is translated “breath of life.” Genesis 8:1 uses ruach to describe the “wind” God sent over the earth to recede the Flood waters. Altogether, the word ruach is found almost 400 times in the Old Testament.

Often, when the Old Testament talks about the “Spirit of the Lord” or the “Spirit of God,” the word for “Spirit” is Ruach. Use of ruach as “spirit” when not linked with God usually is in reference to the human spirit. This can mean the actual spirit of a human (the immaterial part of humans akin to the soul) or one’s mood, emotional state, or general disposition. Ruach as “breath” or “wind” can be a reference to literal breath or wind, or it can take on a figurative meaning such as in the idiom “a mere breath.”

God’s Ruach is the source of life. The Ruach of God is the One who gives life to all creation. We could say that God’s Ruach has created every other (non-divine) ruach that exists. All living creatures owe the breath of life to the Creative Spirit of God. Moses states this truth explicitly: “God . . . gives breath [ruach] to all living things” (Numbers 27:16). Job understood this truth as well: “As long as I have life within me, the breath [ruach] of God in my nostrils” (Job 27:3). Later, Elihu tells Job, “The Spirit of God has made me; the breath of the Almighty gives me life” (Job 33:4).

God used the phrase Ruach Yahweh in His promise that the Messiah would be empowered by the Holy Spirit: “The Spirit of the LORD will rest on him—the Spirit of wisdom and of understanding, the Spirit of counsel and of might, the Spirit of the knowledge and fear of the LORD” (Isaiah 11:2; see also Isaiah 42:1). This prophecy was fulfilled in Jesus; at His baptism in the Jordan River, John saw “the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him” (Matthew 3:16).

This is From another Study
The meaning of the Hebrew word ruach is "breath," or "wind," or "spirit." In Scripture, the word is applied both to human beings and to God. Depending on the context, ruach can be talking about a person's emotional state of being, or their soul or spirit, and is sometimes used as an idiom, as in "a mere breath." When coupled with one of the names of God, ruach refers to the Holy Spirit. For example, Ruach Elohim is mentioned in the first few verses of Genesis to describe the Spirit of God hovering over the waters (Genesis 1:2). In the Old Testament, the translated phrase is always "Spirit of the Lord" or "Spirit of God." In the New Testament, the Greek word pneuma is applied and translated "Holy Spirit."

The Ruach of God is the Creator of all other non-divine ruach. "God. . . gives breath [ruach] to all living things" (Numbers 27:16, NIV). When God created Adam, He breathed into Adam's nostrils and "man became a living creature" (Genesis 2:7). Job mentions the same breath of life as that which keeps him alive, saying "as long as my breath is in me, and the spirit [ruach] of God is in my nostrils" (Job 27:3). His friend Elihu affirmed the same: "The Spirit of God has made me, and the breath of the Almighty gives me life" (Job 33:4). It was the same Spirit that came to rest on Jesus Christ in the form of a dove, empowering and anointing Him as the Messiah (Matthew 3:16). This event was prophesied by Isaiah, who said, "And the Spirit of the Lord shall rest upon him, the Spirit of wisdom and understanding, the Spirit of counsel and might, the Spirit of knowledge and the fear of the Lord" (Isaiah 11:2). In both passages, the word for "Spirit" and "breath" is the Hebrew word ruach.

God's Ruach is often associated with His creative power. A very good of example of this comes from a conversation that Jesus had with a Pharisee called Nicodemus, who came to Jesus secretly in the night to ask Him questions. Jesus told Nicodemus that a person can only enter the kingdom of God if he or she has been "born of the Spirit" because "that which is born of the Spirit is spirit" (John 3:4–6). Then, He compares the Holy Spirit to the wind, saying "The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear its sound, but you do not know where it comes from or where it goes. So it is with everyone who is born of the Spirit" (John 3:cool. Both the word "wind" in this passage and the word "Spirit" are the same word: pneuma, the Greek equivalent of the Hebrew word ruach.

God's breath, His creative power, His Holy Ruach is responsible for all that is created: the universe, the earth, and even the spirit of man. Even more amazing, the "new man" that is created when a person trusts in Christ for salvation, is also a creation of the Holy Spirit (2 Corinthians 5:17; Ephesians 4:24), because it is "born" of God's Ruach.
Re: If God Is A Spirit, What Does It Mean To Be Created In His Image? by NNTR: 5:19am On Dec 26, 2021
tctrills:
Is God a spirit?
Yes, God is one hundred and one percent a Spirit

tctrills:
Does he have body parts?
No, He has no body parts because God is incorporeal, meaning, He is bodiless

tctrills:
The bible states that we are in His image
We are planned, made in the image of the Godhead, and also even after the likeness of the Godhead

tctrills:
and Jesus Christ is his express image.
Yes, Jesus is the physical express image of God. Jesus on earth demonstrated the spiritual qualities of God, which unconditional love, compassion, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control, omnipotence, omniscience etc

tctrills:
Is Jesus Christ also a spirit?
No, Jesus is not a spirit. Jesus is God Incarnate, meaning Jesus, is God embodied in human body/flesh

Personal text: Jesus is not a theologian. He is God who told stories.
Re: If God Is A Spirit, What Does It Mean To Be Created In His Image? by NNTR: 5:35am On Dec 26, 2021
haddeylium:
YES!

tctrills:
Zechariah 12.1
1The burden of the word of the Lord for Israel, saith the Lord, which stretcheth forth the heavens,
and layeth the foundation of the earth, and formeth the spirit of man within him.
Without trying to risk obfuscating or cause a head scratcher, yes, man is a spirit being, who essentially is a soul housed in a human being body, lawfully living on earth to express him/herself in accordance with his/her nature and is legally existing to experience life on earth too

The questions that begs to be answered are these:

A/ How did God form the spirit of man aka ruach aka the breath of life aka the life force within him
B/ Also how exactly did the man become a living soul, at what point did the man become a living soul and why at that particular point did the man become a living soul?

Personal text: Jesus is not a theologian. He is God who told stories.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Did She Loose Faith Or She Was Just A Church-goer? / Blackheart Brotherhood Kingdom / Why Are There So Many Denominations In Religions Especially Christianity ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.