Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,206 members, 7,815,198 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:55 AM

Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? (18278 Views)

Fundall.io Will Give You N500 For Everyone You Refer To Their Platform / "What Africans Refer To As Home Training Is Emotional Abuse" - Man / "You've Added Weight O" Is This An Offensive Remark? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by Hintona(f): 10:43am On Dec 25, 2021
In a thread I created earlier, I referred to someone as fat and I was bashed.

Since when did it become a bad thing to refer to someone as fat in Nigeria?

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by Babaken(m): 11:02am On Dec 25, 2021
Fat na fat
If e pain you hit the gym
In Ghana fat na Obolo
In Nigeria fat na orobo
In branded English na chubby
Or you call it plumpy.
Merry Christmas to you all.

175 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by thesicilian: 11:30am On Dec 25, 2021
Calling someone fat in this Buhari economy has become more of a compliment.

224 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by sageb: 11:54am On Dec 25, 2021
Hintona:
In a thread I created earlier, I referred to someone as far and I was bashed.

Yes, it is offensive in present day language syntax
The word" fat " have gone obsolete and can no longer be used to describe a woman/man.
Fat can only be used to describe liquid in solid state. Fat when solid and oil when dissolved.
You can say " Hintona is a busty lady"
Fat is now obsolete in human description language.

46 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by lkillbrokehoes: 8:33am On Dec 26, 2021
Hintona:
[s]In a thread I created earlier, I referred to someone as far and I was bashed.

Since when did it become a bad thing to refer to someone as fat in Nigeria?[/s]
It's fat not far kiddo, I've warned you severally to face your studies.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by Richy4(m): 9:17am On Dec 26, 2021
Learn not to say it dear.. not only in Nigeria but everywhere around the world... A plus size is a bit better.. embarassed

You can say for example... I saw a plus size woman on my way to the Shop etc.. it's a bit politically correct..

21 Likes

Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by missdee23(f): 9:29am On Dec 26, 2021
It depends on whether the word is used negatively as a weapon to insult someone (which can come across as mean or cruel) or maybe to compliment someone especially when 'level don change' . I think it's the intent behind the word that counts.

38 Likes

Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by Hintona(f): 2:57pm On Dec 26, 2021
Richy4:
Learn not to say it dear.. not only in Nigeria but everywhere around the world... A plus size is a bit better.. embarassed

You can say for example... I saw a plus size woman on my way to the Shop etc.. it's a bit politically correct..

Okay.

1 Like

Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by EddyNumerouno(m): 4:54pm On Dec 27, 2021
'wokeness' will not allow people to say the truth.
Na fat you fat, you no kill person

50 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by ImoleNaija: 4:54pm On Dec 27, 2021
Perhaps the way you mentioned it sounded or looked offensive. Some people just find pleasure in body-shaming others. Being fat or skinny does not mean someone eats too much or doesn't eat at all. Nature has built us differently.

The truth is that, in most cases, it takes lots of money (for food, exercise & some prescribed drugs) to have that figure that many people want. That's why you see the rich & the celebrities going from one surgery to another - for public taste. And you definitely don't expect someone who struggles to put food on his/her table to start living on drugs or some special diets. Of course, everyone tries to manage his/her body which might not be so clear to outsiders.

lexy2014:

so word can be used instead of fat?

Is there anyone christened fat?

We should all learn to live without bruising other's ego. Lots of people, young ones esp, have committed suicide over sth as simple (or so we thought) as that.

Funnily, you would see someone who is bald trying to bruise another's ego by calling him a short devil. And if that same person shows him the bald part of him, fight don start be that. Live & let live.

18 Likes

Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by Vinnie2000(m): 4:55pm On Dec 27, 2021
OP

The Modern society is bringing up all sorts of new ethics currently!
If you call a Guy or lady Ugly, dat's Bodyshaming...
If you call him/her Fat, dat's Bodyshaming..
Call him/her poor, dat's Brokeshaming..
Call him/her a Pros.titute, dat's Slutshaming.. sad undecided

So Dat's it!..

Only dat, Some Peeps are Irresponsible with dier Livestyle and once you try to call dem out, they Refer to one of the Above and claim you re Oppressing dem! sad smiley

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by MandGEnterprise: 4:55pm On Dec 27, 2021
No
Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by Tony5050(m): 4:55pm On Dec 27, 2021
All die na die.....

kindly check my signature

1 Like

Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:55pm On Dec 27, 2021
Hintona:
In a thread I created earlier, I referred to someone as fat and I was bashed.

some might find it offensive tho..it's like body shaming..you can just say plus sized..well it all depends on the tone at which you used the word and the point you were driving at..

1 Like

Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by Lalami3232(m): 4:55pm On Dec 27, 2021
I never knew it was bad/offensive until some weeks ago. I just say make I go catch small cruise for Facebook since my brain dey hot due to some rugged codes I dey write. I see one babe for one group wey dey complain about her size oooo, na I innocently ask her say "ARE YOU FAT?"
The next thing I get from Facebook na 30days ban ooo, I shock. From that day, I learn say asking a lady weather she fat or not is offensive. I thank God say no be for Europe I go talk am, maybe dem for deport me sef. But we learn everyday sha!!! That word dey offensive for abroad but I no sure say E dey bad for 9ja. Na even our 9ja babes go dey ask you say "I don fat abi?" grin

I don talkbam before and I go talk am again, "The day I go mistakenly born girl pikin, I go ******"

4 Likes

Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by Nairalander248: 4:56pm On Dec 27, 2021
Yes it is. wink

Instead you can say Heavy or endowed... grin

1 Like

Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by slawormiir: 4:56pm On Dec 27, 2021
Damnnn niggar
Depends on how it was used

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by WizkidNews: 4:56pm On Dec 27, 2021
Fat people in Nigeria think they've made it in life grin
And Nigerians see them as people feeding well angry angry

10 Likes

Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by Egein(m): 4:56pm On Dec 27, 2021
Yes, it is. A parralel is even when someone's clearly ugly, it doesn't make it inoffensive to call them ugly.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by paulolee(m): 4:56pm On Dec 27, 2021
depends on the manner u say it and on the contex..
I understand ur point n girls are thr usual suspect in this case...
saw an old friend after 6 months in our Christmas party n she was looking all blown up....we huged n my friend told her "see as u jis de Fat" her face changed n she felt insulted..
I jus quickly interrupted n told her dt she is looking very sweet in this bihari regime, all fresh n she dey "chop up" the baby elephant just start to de blush....na normal bro..
but assuming na guy....fat na fat no, streets no fit paint dt wan mk e sweet....if e too pain u, start jogging n hit d jim

6 Likes

Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by iLegendd(m): 4:56pm On Dec 27, 2021
Babaken:
Fat na fat
If e pain you hit the gym
In Ghana fat na Obolo
In Nigeria fat na orobo
In branded English na chubby
Or you call it plumpy.
Merry Christmas to you all.

Can you remember the day someone called you poor? How did you feel?

Call a poor Nigerian "poor man/woman" and watch how he/she gets angry. That's exactly how people with extra flesh feel.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:56pm On Dec 27, 2021
Yes it is offensive, use plus size or chubby

1 Like

Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by Sirmuel1(m): 4:56pm On Dec 27, 2021
If it's offensive to you, stop eating like a Thief and work on yourself. Don't accept fate. You can become a better version of yourself. (Not just in size, appearance but in attitude and mindset).

5 Likes

Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by helinues: 4:56pm On Dec 27, 2021
I think so

Chubby still fair in Nigeria language

Those who have neglected their health and when they call them out they start getting angry.

If you don't want to be called a fat man or fat woman, hit the gym

6 Likes

Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by izzy4shizzy(m): 4:57pm On Dec 27, 2021
Abegi,

If someone is fat the person is fat jare.

If you don't want to be called fat, go and work out and eat healthy or enjoy yourself in your body

Orobo if you fat, I go call you fat, if you don't Gerrit forget abourit

*In DJ Big N's voice* if you big you big abeg

4 Likes

Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by dontai(m): 4:57pm On Dec 27, 2021
Abegi, If you don't like it buy skipping rope, used it for 2 weeks. You will be amazed with your transformation. Fat na fat, tall na tall, slim na slim, old na old, young na young, what else?

2 Likes

Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by Authoreety: 4:57pm On Dec 27, 2021
Yep
Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by FuckDModz: 4:57pm On Dec 27, 2021
Nope.

The fatter you are, the more you will be respected - as long as you're a man or a married woman.

1 Like

Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by Hezzyluv: 4:58pm On Dec 27, 2021
If you say fat, that one na body shame

You're putting on more weight sound nice sha

1 Like

Re: Is It Offensive To Refer To Someone As Fat In Nigeria? by Akwamkpuruamu: 4:58pm On Dec 27, 2021
Even to refer someone as a short man

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

I Beg You's To Join Me in Praising and thanking God / Please Who Knows How To Do A Change Of Name After Marriage / Pregnancy: How Did This Happen Again?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.