Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,293 members, 7,811,879 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:00 PM

I’ll Be The First Victim Of Revolution In Nigeria – Obasanjo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I’ll Be The First Victim Of Revolution In Nigeria – Obasanjo (865 Views)

Mohammadu Buhari Might Not Change Nigeria – Obasanjo / Mass Revolt Looms In Nigeria, Obasanjo Warns / I’m Ready To Die For Nigeria –obasanjo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

I’ll Be The First Victim Of Revolution In Nigeria – Obasanjo by umechuma: 1:42pm On Jun 15, 2011
Former President Olusegun Obasanjo yesterday said that he will be the first victim if a revolution happens in Nigeria due to threat of unemployment and rising restiveness by youths as is currently happening in some North African and Arab countries. Obasanjo gave the insight to world leaders, employers and labour leaders as a panellist in a meeting on building sustainable societies in the ongoing 100th Session of the International Labour Organisation (ILO) holding in Geneva, Switzerland.

The debate was organised by ‘Club de Madrid’ an independent non-profit organization composed of 80 democratic former presidents and prime ministers from 56 different countries.

The ex-president also declared that former Ghanaian President John Kuffuor and other African leaders will have no hidden place if the revolution knocks at his doorstep.

John Kuffour, also a member of Club de Madrid together with other ex leaders was at the debate.

Though he did not state why he will be the first victim in Nigeria, Obasanjo said that if the unemployment situation in African countries is allowed to continue and not checked, the revolution that would take place will be more severe than what is being witnessed in the Middle East.

“I want to underline this as a situation that must signal red alert for us in Africa, I am worried, I am apprehensive about unemployment in our continent, it is not being taken as seriously as it should be, I give the example of my own country Nigeria; we now have 120 universities.

“When I was growing up and I had to go to university, there was only one university in Nigeria. Today, 120; there are other tertiary institutions; polytechnics, colleges of education, when you take all of them together they are more than 200, much more than 200.

“If you count that they are graduating about 3000 every year and some are doing more than that for one tertiary institution. You have well over 600, 000. We are not creating 100, 000 jobs every year for graduates of our tertiary institutions; that is a tinder box on which we are all sitting and the fuse can be ignited anytime,” he said

Speaking on social justice, he said “can we really have social justice with 50 percent of citizens of a country being unemployed or being under employed? Can you really have social justice in a situation where democracy, rule of law and popular participation are absent? Obviously the answer will be no.”

http://www.dailytrust.dailytrust.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=21080:ill-be-the-first-victim-of-revolution-in-nigeria-obasanjo&catid=2:lead-stories&Itemid=8
Re: I’ll Be The First Victim Of Revolution In Nigeria – Obasanjo by andypash(m): 6:01pm On Jun 15, 2011
Na guilty conscience dey do the man,he kno wetin e do

(1) (Reply)

How Can We Stop Gej From Recycling Old Ministers With No Track Record? / A Paradise For Maggots / Al-mustapha’s Video Fails To Indict Ige, Adesanya,

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.