Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,112 members, 7,811,127 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:08 AM

'I Believe' By Denis Ukume: Ojukwu Wept For Forgiveness Over Role In War - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 'I Believe' By Denis Ukume: Ojukwu Wept For Forgiveness Over Role In War (34235 Views)

Igboho Wept Like A Child, His Wife Was Crying Too - Lawyer / Doyin Okupe: I Wept The Day I Found Out My Son, Bolu Is Gay / Lawal Daura Wept Like A Baby After He Was Arrested - Reno Omokri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

'I Believe' By Denis Ukume: Ojukwu Wept For Forgiveness Over Role In War by EcoBrick: 6:17pm On Dec 26, 2021
December 26, 2021

Explains how he convinced Shehu Shagari to grant Ojukwu pardon

By Joseph Erunke

NIGERIAN Ambassador to Cote D’Ivoire during late President Shehu Shagari’s administration, Denis Ukume, has disclosed that late Biafra warlord, Odumegwu Ojukwu, wept under his shoulder for forgiveness over role in war.

The 83-year-old claimed Ojukwu agreed to Shagari’s condition to be referred to simply as “Mr” without any military insignia if he (Ojukwu) would be granted pardon for his role in the Nigerian Civil War.

But he said Ojukwu almost marred his chances of being accorded the amnesty when he flouted the condition a few hours after by referring to himself as “General Odumegwu Ojukwu”, in an appreciation letter he wrote to him following his role in the amnesty deal.

Ukume’s claims were contained in his book, titled: “I believe”, which he published among three others, launched in Abuja.

His three other books also launched alongside, were titled, “My Challenges”, Osofinco and Mamma Mia”, respectively.

In the published book, the former Nigerian ambassador also said the then National Party of Nigeria, NPN, had made efforts to frustrate the granting of amnesty to Ojukwu if he would not join the party upon return to Nigeria but that his firm opposition to the party’s leadership condition, led to the amnesty for the late Biafran leader.

“When the Executive Committee members of the National Party of Nigeria, NPN, got wind about the progress being made in connection with the granting of amnesty to Ojukwu, they quickly sent a powerful delegation to me.

“They requested that under no circumstances should amnesty be given to Ojukwu unless he gave an unequivocal undertaking that he would enroll as a member of the NPN on return. I told them clearly that their demand was unacceptable. I reported the matter to the president.

“Weeks later, I traveled to Lagos to inform the president that I was convinced beyond any doubt that Ojukwu was thoroughly remorseful for all that had happened during the civil war. I then recommended he be granted amnesty.

“The president accepted my recommendation. He dispatched the Minister of Internal Affairs, Ali Baba, and the Director-General of National Security Organisation, NSO, Alhaji Umaru Shinkafi with a list of conditions governing the granting of the amnesty.

“They were as follows: That no one would force him to join a political party. The government, however, advised that on his return, he should conduct a thorough overview of the political parties in the country with any of his choice; that his personal protection like those of all Nigerians was guaranteed under the Nigerian constitution; that he should not own a privately armed body for is protection,” he said.

Other conditions by Shagari to Ojukwu, according to Amb Ukume, were, “That he was returning to Nigeria as a Mr Odumegwu Ojukwu with no military insignia attached to his name; that his properties or those of his relations that had been confiscated as a result of a decree or edict remained the properties of government; that his properties or those of his relations occupied by government and rents not paid would be fully paid to date and that if those conditions were acceptable to him, the president would consider granting him amnesty.”

Ukume said: “Accompanied by the Minister and the Director-General, I took the conditions to a high-profile meeting of the Ivorian governing party which was convened by the president.

“I read the conditions one after the other. Ojukwu accepted all of them. Finally, we then went to a meeting of the Ivorian Executive Council. As the Minister, the DG, and I embraced him in turns, he broke down and wept profusely,” he claimed.

Ukume continued: “Shortly after the delegation had returned to Nigeria, I invited Ojukwu and his wife to the residence for a private dinner by the swimming pool. I had also asked a few senior members of the Nigerian Community, and our home-based officers with their wives to attend. The idea of the dinner, I informed President Shagari afterward, was to reassure Ojukwu about the genuineness of the government’s intentions, and to allay any unfounded fears that the government was planning to abduct him.

“Days after the dinner party, Ojukwu wrote to express his appreciation. I was shocked when he ended his letter with ‘Yours most respectfully, General Odumegwu Ojukwu.’

“General! He already had contravened one of the amnesty conditions!

“A few days later, I was in Lagos and called the attention of the president to the word “General”, which was clearly a misnomer given the conditions of the amnesty.

“The president had also received a letter from the ex-warlord requesting for a courtesy call appointment when he returned to Nigeria. The letter also carried the infamous insignia.

“However, benign President Shagari took the triviality in his stride. He was ever ready to receive Ojukwu,” he added.

According to Amb Ukume, Ex-vice president, late Alex Ekwueme, had planned to join prominent Ibo sons and daughters to welcome Ojukwu at the airport upon return to the country but was reminded of his then status by President Shagari.

“A great number of distinguished Ibo sons and daughters had planned to welcome Ojukwu at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport. Vice President Ekwueme was also reportedly warming up to join the welcoming party until Shagari reminded him of his status in the country,” he said.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2021/12/ojukwu-wept-under-my-shoulder-for-forgiveness-over-role-in-war-%e2%80%95-amb-ukume/

16 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 'I Believe' By Denis Ukume: Ojukwu Wept For Forgiveness Over Role In War by kettykings: 6:20pm On Dec 26, 2021
Some people who try to create an inexistent enemity between Igbos and Fulani will be disappointed someday.
People from a certain part of Nigeria are already cashing out of this inexistent enemity between Igbo and Fulani all because igbo didn't vote Buhari

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 'I Believe' By Denis Ukume: Ojukwu Wept For Forgiveness Over Role In War by money121(m): 6:26pm On Dec 26, 2021
Ok
Re: 'I Believe' By Denis Ukume: Ojukwu Wept For Forgiveness Over Role In War by smatt1711: 6:26pm On Dec 26, 2021
Ok
Re: 'I Believe' By Denis Ukume: Ojukwu Wept For Forgiveness Over Role In War by BigSarah(f): 6:28pm On Dec 26, 2021
Is04970:
Awolowo was the best president Nigeria never had Ojukwu.

I thought that was Abiola?, I'm sure if buhari wasn't voted most Nigeria will say the same about him

77 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 'I Believe' By Denis Ukume: Ojukwu Wept For Forgiveness Over Role In War by kettykings: 6:34pm On Dec 26, 2021
AkalaJ:

Please loud it so they can hear. Igbos and Fulanis are one (a symbiotic and mutually beneficial master-and-slave relationship. And if in doubt, go and ask Nnamdi Azikiwe and Alex Ekwueme in their graves). MNK and his ipob/ESN miscreants would fail in their efforts to drive a wedge between Igbos and their Fulani brothers. grin One Nigeria to all my fellow igbos. cheesy grin
If Igbos and Fulani have a master slave relationship, what would you say of other Nigerians , some who had their prodigies imprisoned some who had their leaders slaughtered and give life jail sentences. That would be relationship between a god and its cretins

39 Likes 7 Shares

Re: 'I Believe' By Denis Ukume: Ojukwu Wept For Forgiveness Over Role In War by AkalaJ: 6:36pm On Dec 26, 2021
kettykings:

If Igbos and Fulani have a master slave relationship, what would you say of other Nigerians , some who had their prodigies imprisoned some who had their leaders slaughtered and give life jail sentences. That would be relationship between a god and cretins

No need getting angry. We're both saying the same thing and highlighting the special relationship between Igbos and Fulanis. One which a million MNKs and his ipob/ESN miscreants/touts can never break. One Nigeria. cheesy

65 Likes 9 Shares

Re: 'I Believe' By Denis Ukume: Ojukwu Wept For Forgiveness Over Role In War by Beejayy20(m): 6:39pm On Dec 26, 2021
AkalaJ:

Please loud it so they can hear. Igbos and Fulanis are one (a symbiotic and mutually beneficial master-and-slave relationship. And if in doubt, go and ask Nnamdi Azikiwe and Alex Ekwueme in their graves). MNK and his ipob/ESN miscreants would fail in their efforts to drive a wedge between Igbos and their Fulani brothers masters. grin One Nigeria forever to all my fellow Nwafors. cheesy grin
my buroda you too bad

81 Likes 8 Shares

Re: 'I Believe' By Denis Ukume: Ojukwu Wept For Forgiveness Over Role In War by kettykings: 6:40pm On Dec 26, 2021
AkalaJ:

No need getting angry. We're both saying the same thing and highlighting the special relationship between Igbos amd Fulanis. One which a million MNKs and his ipob/ESN miscreants/touts can never break. One Nigeria. cheesy
.I am not getting angry.i am equally highlighting how Fulani has dealt with your leaders in the past , some were given life sentence, some poisoned , some slaughtered, Fulani is currently in possession of Lagos and illorin as vassal states

39 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 'I Believe' By Denis Ukume: Ojukwu Wept For Forgiveness Over Role In War by AntiBMC(m): 6:40pm On Dec 26, 2021
Really? And you waited until after he died to reveal this? Now, who will speak for him to either deny or accept this revelation? Trash, like everything else av seen on NL today.

Somehow, the threads of different southern judases talking about unity has doubled in the last week. Today alone, av seen like 6.

I wonder what d Fulani govt is offering them to lick as$ like this.

40 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 'I Believe' By Denis Ukume: Ojukwu Wept For Forgiveness Over Role In War by Arda1000(m): 6:43pm On Dec 26, 2021
Cowards speaks when they know that no one else can dispute their words

28 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 'I Believe' By Denis Ukume: Ojukwu Wept For Forgiveness Over Role In War by AkalaJ: 7:00pm On Dec 26, 2021
kettykings:

.I am not getting angry.i am equally highlighting how Fulani has dealt with your leaders in the past , some were given life sentence, some poisoned , some slaughtered, Fulani is currently in possession of Lagos and illorin

Nwokem, let's stay on topic and remain focused. Igbos are the real enemies of this special igbo-Fulani relationship.

52 Likes 8 Shares

Re: 'I Believe' By Denis Ukume: Ojukwu Wept For Forgiveness Over Role In War by Nobody: 7:04pm On Dec 26, 2021
ojukwu the terorrist

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'I Believe' By Denis Ukume: Ojukwu Wept For Forgiveness Over Role In War by slawormiir: 7:07pm On Dec 26, 2021
Damnnn niggar
Ojuku is a pussy ass niggar

48 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 'I Believe' By Denis Ukume: Ojukwu Wept For Forgiveness Over Role In War by EmzyT: 7:07pm On Dec 26, 2021
angry
Re: 'I Believe' By Denis Ukume: Ojukwu Wept For Forgiveness Over Role In War by emmabest2000(m): 7:08pm On Dec 26, 2021

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'I Believe' By Denis Ukume: Ojukwu Wept For Forgiveness Over Role In War by Passionate888: 7:08pm On Dec 26, 2021
His manhood lives on

16 Likes

Re: 'I Believe' By Denis Ukume: Ojukwu Wept For Forgiveness Over Role In War by Kellibae(f): 7:08pm On Dec 26, 2021
And we are hearing it now ??

FAT LIAR!!

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 'I Believe' By Denis Ukume: Ojukwu Wept For Forgiveness Over Role In War by Curious345: 7:08pm On Dec 26, 2021
My dad fought in the war as a Biafran captain .

but I DARE SAY THAT THE GREATEST COWARD OF THE BIAFRAN STRUGGLE WAS THE INFAMOUS Colonel OJUKWU HIMSLEF.

A MAN WHO WAS ONLY AFTER SELF GLORY AND SEX ORGIES.

Maxi nnamdi KANU doubled up on that infamy

61 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 'I Believe' By Denis Ukume: Ojukwu Wept For Forgiveness Over Role In War by BAZ001: 7:09pm On Dec 26, 2021
Haba,
Dis is not a good news so ojukwu wept like a baby ?

Ipob guys right now

[img]https://media1./images/2dbd3b248c1a98150f5d8b9e60b1ca45/tenor.gif?itemid=13314060[/img]

55 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 'I Believe' By Denis Ukume: Ojukwu Wept For Forgiveness Over Role In War by DenreleDave(m): 7:09pm On Dec 26, 2021
grin grin

1 Like

Re: 'I Believe' By Denis Ukume: Ojukwu Wept For Forgiveness Over Role In War by Omicron007: 7:09pm On Dec 26, 2021
shocked

Ojukwu is a big name.

1 Like

Re: 'I Believe' By Denis Ukume: Ojukwu Wept For Forgiveness Over Role In War by chiedu7: 7:10pm On Dec 26, 2021
ccccc
Re: 'I Believe' By Denis Ukume: Ojukwu Wept For Forgiveness Over Role In War by fredoooooo: 7:10pm On Dec 26, 2021
Haa!!!! grin

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Rotimi Amaechi Sympathizes With Victims Of Election Violence In Rivers. Photos / Reps In Shouting Match, As Speaker Withdraws National Water Resources Bill / Nigeria Army Retakes Mubi From Boko-Haram

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.