Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,183 members, 7,829,241 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 10:19 PM

Cristiano Ronaldo's Statue Unveiled In India (Pictures) - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Cristiano Ronaldo's Statue Unveiled In India (Pictures) (54261 Views)

Cristiano Ronaldo Statue's Penis Is 'worn Out' Because Too Many Fans Grab It / New 120kg Ronaldo Statue Unveiled – And It’s Made Entirely Of CHOCOLATE! / Widely Mocked Ronaldo Statue Replaced By New Model Yet Fans Aren't Satisfied (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cristiano Ronaldo's Statue Unveiled In India (Pictures) by obembet(f): 1:25pm On Dec 29, 2021
Cristiano Ronaldo has been honoured in India with a controversial huge sculpture as the state of Goa looks to inspire the next generation of footballers.

A statue of the Portugal and Manchester United superstar has been unveiled in the former Portuguese colony.

The tribute in Calangute was said to have cost around £12,000 and weighs a whopping 65 stone, according to The Times of India.

Goa minister Michael Lobo posted two photos of the statue onto his Twitter account and wrote: 'For the love of football and at the request of our youth we put up Cristiano Ronaldo's statue in the park to inspire our youngsters to take football to greater heights.

'It was an honour to inaugurate the beautification of open space, landscaping, garden with foundation and walkway.'

He told ANI: 'This is for the first time that the statue of Cristiano Ronaldo has come up in India. This is nothing but to inspire our youth.

'If you want to take football to another level then this is what young boys and girls will look forward to, taking selfies and looking at the statue and getting inspired to play.'

However the statue has split opinion with some reportedly waving black flags in protest at the installation.

Meanwhile critics have suggested footballers from their own country should have been honoured instead.

'There are so many great footballers from Calangute like Bruno Coutinho and Yolanda D’Souza, who have brought laurels to India by playing football at international level. Why couldn’t their statues be installed? They are from Calangute. Why the Portuguese footballer’s statue has been installed,' Calangute constituency forum president Premanand Divkar told The Navhind Times.

The western Indian state of Goa was a colony of Portugal but was annexed by India 60 years ago.

A bust of Ronaldo in the five-time Ballon d'Or winner's place of birth attracted worldwide attention a few years ago.

Madeiran artist Emanuel Santos was tasked with creating the image of Ronaldo and spent three weeks on the project, with the bust unveiled when Madeira airport, Portugal, was renamed in Ronaldo's honour in March 2017.

However the work was heavily mocked and the sculpture was replaced with a different version.

Source: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-10352555/Cristiano-Ronaldo-12-000-65-stone-statue-unveiled-India.html

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo's Statue Unveiled In India (Pictures) by Amotolongbo(f): 1:30pm On Dec 29, 2021
He told ANI: 'This is for the first time that the statue of Cristiano Ronaldo has come up in India. This is nothing but to inspire our youth.

'If you want to take football to another level then this is what young boys and girls will look forward to, taking selfies and looking at the statue and getting inspired to play.'
Sincerely, to a non football nation like India, Cristiano is the perfect icon to psyche the citizens up to achieving football greatness.
It is known that with the football talent Cristiano has, he still worked extra hard to compete with genius in the game and not still relenting which is a motivation for the Indians considering their pedigree in football.

The best footballing era of India was conquering Asia in the 50s to very early 60s (Though there was a mythical 99-1 won against Nigeria grin cheesy wink) .
All just went down the drain that they completely lost everything about football.

I believe if they can put on the kind of mindset Cristiano has, Indian soccer shall be great again in Asia.

Ronaldo has won another Award, Sculpture D’or

139 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo's Statue Unveiled In India (Pictures) by Amotolongbo(f): 1:33pm On Dec 29, 2021
But what is this in the sculpture for goodness sake?

India and overdo!

55 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo's Statue Unveiled In India (Pictures) by obembet(f): 1:38pm On Dec 29, 2021
Rolando is an inspiration.. his hard working, his passion.. he's like from zero to hero.. its not i dont like messi.. he is good but i choose
CR7 because of what he do to improve himself and I won't be surprised if those started following football in 2009 or 2015 not understanding what CR7 has gone through and achieved.

138 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo's Statue Unveiled In India (Pictures) by kellyjc(m): 1:43pm On Dec 29, 2021
£12,000 would have done a lot more in grassroots development than this statute .

16 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo's Statue Unveiled In India (Pictures) by Amotolongbo(f): 1:58pm On Dec 29, 2021
kellyjc:
£12,000 would have done a lot more in grassroots development than this statute .
That is a crap bro!
And the post is borne out of beef for the person of Ronaldo.

How much is £12,000 to develop Indian football?
£12,000 can not perform any football development if shared among 12,000 grassroot footballers in India. But more than 12,000 grassroot footballers can be psyched up and developed if they see and read about this sculpture. That is the essence of the sculpture.

You think Indians don’t spend far more than that in their league?
Go and check Indian football league.

Lastly, there is a place of financial development and a place of psychological development

121 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo's Statue Unveiled In India (Pictures) by OJEEMAH(m): 2:05pm On Dec 29, 2021
obembet:
Rolando is an inspiration.. his hard working, his passion.. he's like from zero to hero.. its not i dont like messi.. he is good but i choose
CR7 because of what he do to improve himself and I won't be surprised if those started following football in 2009 or 2015 not understanding what CR7 has gone through and achieved.
It is not a crime to prefer or like Ronaldo more but i would love you to come clean like Eminem when he told Benzino "Its not like we don't like you, we hate you....Period!" in one of his beef track 'Nail in the coffin'.

Life no balance.......some were born blessed and gifted while others have to work harder to enjoy same level of success but just know its nobody's fault Messi is blessed with talents that is meant for 9 people.

So just come out clean no be today we know say you hate the guy and I understand why as a man united fan.

Whether you like am or not, Messi will forever remain the yardstick to measure great footballers

83 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo's Statue Unveiled In India (Pictures) by OJEEMAH(m): 2:06pm On Dec 29, 2021
Amotolongbo:
Sincerely, to a non football nation like India, Cristiano is the perfect icon to psyche the citizens up to achieving football greatness.
It is known that with the football talent Cristiano has, he still worked extra hard to compete with genius in the game and not still relenting which is a motivation for the Indians considering their pedigree in football.

The best footballing era of India was conquering Asia in the 50s to very early 60s (Though there was a mythical 99-1 won against Nigeria grin cheesy wink) .
All just went down the drain that they completely lost everything about football.

I believe if they can put on the kind of mindset Cristiano has, Indian soccer shall be great again in Asia.

Nice piece

9 Likes

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo's Statue Unveiled In India (Pictures) by paulolee(m): 2:06pm On Dec 29, 2021
finally saw a post about cr7 from this moniker after a crazy week of football..
pls ma/ sir, am still waiting for ur own opinion about mbappe winning the dubai d or award on Monday nite, it came as a shock to me bcoz I thought lewa would win it, it was given to mbappe n i didn't hear or see any online media outcry dt lewa was robbed..
Wat's ur take on mbappe dt did nothing winning dt award ahead of a fantastic lewa?? its all good n no problem as long as no be messi win am abi?? see wetin sentiments dey do all of una..

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo's Statue Unveiled In India (Pictures) by paulolee(m): 2:08pm On Dec 29, 2021
obembet:
chaai...cr7 is an inspiration bt messi isnt, cr7 is hardworking bt messi is lazy, cr7 gat passion bt messi dnt av any n no even like football, cr7 is like zero to hero while messi came from a rich family...
u like cr7 because he choose to improve himself bt messi doesn't like improvement forgetting dt even though cr7 started before messi, messi still av more awards n more trophies than ur man n he deserves more respect dt u do gv him online...
u simply choosed cr7 bcoz u prefer him than messi doesn't take anything away from messi
i like turkey pass chicken no mean say chicken no sweet.
U are jus drowning urself in a pool of sentiments n na only GOD fit help u, I de pray for u shaa

32 Likes

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo's Statue Unveiled In India (Pictures) by paulolee(m): 2:10pm On Dec 29, 2021
kellyjc:
I swear....if I talk same, dm go tag me hater....erecting a statue In a country dt cr7 may never visit to see It..
na dier moni, na dier wahala n e no concern me.
i jus happy say even rochas wey bin get madness for statues bk den no clueless like dis.

2 Likes

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo's Statue Unveiled In India (Pictures) by Jokerman(m): 2:16pm On Dec 29, 2021
Legend everywhere
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo's Statue Unveiled In India (Pictures) by paulolee(m): 2:16pm On Dec 29, 2021
Amotolongbo:
That is a crap bro!
And the post is borne out of beef for the person of Ronaldo.

How much is £12,000 to develop Indian football?
£12,000 can not perform any football development if shared among 12,000 grassroot footballers in India. But more than 12,000 grassroot footballers can be psyched up and developed if they see and read about this sculpture. That is the essence of the sculpture.

You think Indians don’t spend far more than that in their league?
Go and check Indian football league.

Lastly, there is a place of financial development and a place of psychological development
nice piece..but pls ma, won't dt 12,000 grassroots footballers be more perfectly psyched up seeing a statue of their own football legend or sportsman?? abi india dnt av any legend on sports or football?? must it be a player dt doesn't even know were india is on world map..
secondly assuming rochas neglect all the past heroes dt did well in placing Nigeria football on world map n erected cr7 statue in his state bk den...wont u also criticize him for such actions??
no be hate for cr7......I jus need ur honest unsentimental opinion

3 Likes

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo's Statue Unveiled In India (Pictures) by Amotolongbo(f): 2:19pm On Dec 29, 2021
paulolee:

nice piece..but pls ma, won't dt 12,000 grassroots footballers be more perfectly psyched up seeing a statue of their own football legend or sportsman?? abi india dnt av any legend on sports or football?? must it be a player dt doesn't even know were india is on world map..
secondly assuming rochas neglect all the past heroes dt did well in placing Nigeria football on world map n erected cr7 statue in his state bk den...wont u also criticize him for such actions??
no be hate for cr7......I jus need ur honest unsentimental opinion
Please sir can you mention one great Indian football legend with his reputable achievement to psyche the Indians up?

Bringing on an India football legend as sculpture to do that is synonymous to killing India football and nailing the coffin.
It could have been Pele, Maradona or Messi. But these people chose Cristiano cos it is perfect to aid their aim and objectives.

Every field has one or more respected icon.
Florence Nightingale is to Nursing accepted anywhere.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo's Statue Unveiled In India (Pictures) by paulolee(m): 2:25pm On Dec 29, 2021
Amotolongbo:
Please sir can you mention one great Indian football legend with his reputable achievement to psyche the Indians up?

Bringing on an India football legend as sculpture to do that is synonymous to killing India football and nailing the coffin.
It could have been Pele, Maradona or Messi. But these people chose Cristiano cos it is perfect to aid their aim and objectives.

Every field has one or more respected icon.
Florence Nightingale is to Nursing accepted anywhere.
no problem ma...wat would be ur opinion if rochas neglect our football legends n errect one for cr7 in his state??
would u also supoort him saying he gat his aims n objectives or criticize him too?? or we dnt av any football legend dt need such recognition ??

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo's Statue Unveiled In India (Pictures) by Amotolongbo(f): 2:32pm On Dec 29, 2021
paulolee:

no problem ma...wat would be ur opinion if rochas neglect our football legends n errect one for cr7 in his state?? or we dnt av any too??
That is Imo state and Rochas Okorocha.
I don’t belong to the state.

But if it happens in my state, I will never oppose it and will appreciate the fact that it is an icon of development.
The news of this sculpture has made Goa know better than before and may attract Cristiano to visiting the place.
At least we have in my state many statues of Jesus Christ and Mary who never knew the existence of the geographical area around Niger River as “icons of salvation” and we are happy with them

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo's Statue Unveiled In India (Pictures) by paulolee(m): 2:43pm On Dec 29, 2021
Amotolongbo:
That is Imo state and Rochas Okorocha.
I don’t belong to the state.

But if it happens in my state, I will never oppose it and will appreciate the fact that it is an icon of development.
The news of this sculpture has made Goa know better than before and may attract Cristiano to visiting the place.
At least we have in my state many statues of Jesus Christ and Mary who never knew the existence of the geographical area around Niger River and we are happy with them
lolz....very perplexing reply, statue would attract cr7 to visit ur state?? like seriously?? ..its Owkay sha, gat to respect ur opinion n besides i dnt like wen people mix religion, believe or spiritism with football....I get ur point,....av a nice day ma

2 Likes

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo's Statue Unveiled In India (Pictures) by Amotolongbo(f): 2:55pm On Dec 29, 2021
paulolee:

lolz....very perplexing reply, [s]statue would attract cr7 to visit ur state?? like seriously??[/s] ..its Owkay sha, gat to respect ur opinion n besides i dnt like wen people mix religion, believe or spiritism with football....I get ur point,....av a nice day ma
I have the freedom to post my opinion and you have the liberty to choose and oppose the ones that suit or feel like.
But you don’t have the freedom to change my content.
I said “The news of this sculpture has made Goa known better than before and may attract Cristiano to visiting the place.

Be guided!

We’ve heard of a remote Mideast young boy who made Messi his icon and eventually got to meet Messi.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo's Statue Unveiled In India (Pictures) by Phock2sweet: 3:01pm On Dec 29, 2021
Amotolongbo:

ode-mbet keeps disgracing himself

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo's Statue Unveiled In India (Pictures) by Phock2sweet: 3:02pm On Dec 29, 2021
Amotolongbo:

India and overdo!
them include blokos for penaldo status? Small goat yansh dey shake oooo

2 Likes

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo's Statue Unveiled In India (Pictures) by Phock2sweet: 3:04pm On Dec 29, 2021
From the look of things manure may not qualify for next year champions league. If per adventure they go to Europa do you penaldo will remain with them or japaa to another big club?

Click like to japa and share to remain with manure

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo's Statue Unveiled In India (Pictures) by lindaparker: 3:11pm On Dec 29, 2021
⚽️365Ball is coming to Nigeria, now launches the "Invite Friends to Earn Rewards" campaign: If you have valid information on this platform, you can invite other friends by sharing promotion links and customer service contact information. If you successfully invite a friend, you can get 77₦, and friends you invite will also have a chance to get 77₦. And can participate in the activity of sharing the cash from advertising, and successfully invite 7 effective customers to immediately win 777₦, and have the opportunity to draw the lucky prize of our platform, the cash prize 777777₦(NGN)⚽️

Nigeria has successfully introduced the 365ball financial market. Recruitment order: As long as you are over 18 years old, have a mobile phone, and have WIFI,
you can earn 10,000 NGN every day . Only in Nigeria! Whatsapp https:///+2347061324448

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo's Statue Unveiled In India (Pictures) by younglleo: 3:21pm On Dec 29, 2021
grin
India na useless country shaa!
Persin wey never enter 1pitch for them country!
Na soo soo mumu dem dey do!

1 Like

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo's Statue Unveiled In India (Pictures) by Ournolly: 3:21pm On Dec 29, 2021
Yet not even one known Indian footballer.

1 Like

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo's Statue Unveiled In India (Pictures) by ryloy: 3:21pm On Dec 29, 2021
Comrade

6 Likes

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo's Statue Unveiled In India (Pictures) by KingAzari: 3:22pm On Dec 29, 2021
Who will unveil my 12 naira statue bayi?

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo's Statue Unveiled In India (Pictures) by ipobarethieves: 3:22pm On Dec 29, 2021
cool
Re: Cristiano Ronaldo's Statue Unveiled In India (Pictures) by Randal: 3:22pm On Dec 29, 2021
GOAT

1 Like

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo's Statue Unveiled In India (Pictures) by Dalivingrin: 3:22pm On Dec 29, 2021
Ororo nation

1 Like

Re: Cristiano Ronaldo's Statue Unveiled In India (Pictures) by do4luv14(m): 3:23pm On Dec 29, 2021
Amotolongbo:

India and overdo!

Komot eyes for there, wetin your eyes carry go there cheesycheesycheesy

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigeria Trends Worldwide On Twitter After Trashing Argentina 4 - 2 / Poland Vs Senegal: World Cup,(1 - 2) On 19th June 2018 / Qatar: This Is Just The Beginning! (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.