Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,013 members, 7,825,180 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 08:29 AM

Breaking Into Britain - Documentary on BBC one - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Breaking Into Britain - Documentary on BBC one (6445 Views)

Ex BBC Boss, David Hayward, Writes About His Experience In Nigeria (Igbo land) / Three Nigerians Arrested At Sham Wedding In Britain / 'Lagos Airport' Documentary on Sky Travel Channel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Breaking Into Britain - Documentary on BBC one by jaybee3(m): 4:03pm On Jun 17, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Well, they look at potential returns, a good life, possible Brit citizenship in the future, all of which 8k can't buy.
Why are middle class Nigerians spending upwards of $10k to have babies in the United States?
Not a fair comparison financially oga,
Chances of achieving all you've mentioned above with a risky investment of £8k is almost negligible whereas an investment of $10K provides them with better odds as the US still have favourable laws i.e.
Children born in the US with alien parents are automatically classed as American citizens. It's a different scenario entirely in the UK.

US with larger land mass, bigger economy still provides people with much better odds of getting jobs compared to a non manufacturing economy

AjanleKoko:

For people who are willing to spend that kind of money to relocate, if I was Cameron, I would 'organize something' for them.
As per the jobs issue. Don't blame me, but I hardly run into any Brit working anywhere anytime I'm in London. It's always strictly Indians, Pakis right from immigration, and even driving the cabs, and Eastern Europeans at all the corner shops and McDonalds. You hardly run into any 'omo onile'. I thought they were done with workin' grin

The Government is crying oh, people are actually being forced off the dole so less free loaders.
Re: Breaking Into Britain - Documentary on BBC one by Sibe007(m): 4:12pm On Jun 17, 2011
SAD SAD SAD, Those ppl trying to rape a Four Year Old Girl,
Re: Breaking Into Britain - Documentary on BBC one by apoti(m): 4:16pm On Jun 17, 2011
I think they should show this documentary in Africa and Asia, it's just so sad
Re: Breaking Into Britain - Documentary on BBC one by youngmonie: 4:21pm On Jun 17, 2011
D thing that annoys me is that they potray it like all nigerians are trying to get into britian!!!
Re: Breaking Into Britain - Documentary on BBC one by DisGuy: 4:27pm On Jun 17, 2011
youngmonie:

D thing that annoys me is that they potray it like all nigerians are trying to get into britian!!!

how? they just said how easy it is to get a Nigerian passport, no checks just cash and gbam thank you

apoti:

I think they should show this documentary in Africa and Asia, it's just so sad

Saw a series on NTA last year by an NGO showing how Nigerians are living in Singapore, Malaysia, China, many of them claiming agents tricked them into going for work
Re: Breaking Into Britain - Documentary on BBC one by justwise(m): 5:01pm On Jun 17, 2011
paraphase:

Forget and dont believe what you see on the TV(especially CNN,BBC,ALJAZEERA ets),they 'll always make us feel bad about oursleves. Dont be fool in believing what they report,its all about JORNALISM or whatever it is called. Remmber how they damaged the Image of Iraq. I guess its our (Nigeria)turn now.Be wise stop posting Jargons!

What loads of rubbish are u going on about? Which TV station do you watch? Gaddafi propaganda channel or Al-Qaeda radio broadcast?
Re: Breaking Into Britain - Documentary on BBC one by Nobody: 5:23pm On Jun 17, 2011
The shame of Africa. cry
Re: Breaking Into Britain - Documentary on BBC one by Patsey: 6:01pm On Jun 17, 2011
That a complete stranger/foreigner could officially obtain a Nigerian passport is mind-boggling. Any wonder many black criminals who aren't really Nigerians, but holding Nigerian passports, end up claiming to be Nigerians to further tarnish Nigeria's already battered image, ultimately hiding their real and actual identities! That said, it's one thing to get into the UK illegally, it's another thing to survive here without the requisite papers.
Re: Breaking Into Britain - Documentary on BBC one by worry246(m): 6:20pm On Jun 17, 2011
Patsey:

That a complete stranger/foreigner could officially obtain a Nigerian passport is mind-boggling. Any wonder many black criminals who aren't really Nigerians, but holding Nigerian passports, end up claiming to be Nigerians to further tarnish Nigeria's already battered image, ultimately hiding their real and actual identities! That said, it's one thing to get into the UK illegally, it's another thing to survive here without the requisite papers.

Why would anyone claim to be Nigerian?
A member of the taliban from Afganistan has a better chance of passing immigration than nija boi.
EVERY customs know that all papers, ticket,passport or visa from Nigeria will be fraud.
Nigerians are regarded as lower than RATS or JEWS.
Re: Breaking Into Britain - Documentary on BBC one by erico2k2(m): 6:35pm On Jun 17, 2011
GUys you guys are missing something here, the title of the program was breaking into Britain,
Did they realy show how easy it was to get into Britain?
Did they show how easy it was to get a British Passport?
What the undercover reporter did is an everyday occurance here in the UK,there are corrupt officials as wel on here, its same thing all over the world.
So this is not percular to just Nigeria but then again corruption here in Nigeria has a reason, We are Poor ,under developed and despirate, what reason do the advance worl have to be corrupt

PS,Im not saying waht the 9ja immigration guy did was in any shape or form GOOD, but there you go, in every 12 there must be a JUDAS. grin grin
Re: Breaking Into Britain - Documentary on BBC one by justwise(m): 6:41pm On Jun 17, 2011
erico2k2:

GUys you guys are missing something here, the title of the program was breaking into Britain,
Did they realy show how easy it was to get into Britain?
Did they show how easy it was to get a British Passport?
What the undercover reporter did is an everyday occurance here in the UK,there are corrupt officials as wel on here, its same thing all over the world.
So this is not percular to just Nigeria but then again corruption here in Nigeria has a reason, We are Poor ,under developed and despirate, what reason do the advance worl have to be corrupt

PS,Im not saying waht the 9ja immigration guy did was in any shape or form GOOD, but there you go, in every 12 there must be a JUDAS. grin grin
Is that a joke or what? Politicians stealing billion of $$ are poor?
Re: Breaking Into Britain - Documentary on BBC one by erico2k2(m): 6:44pm On Jun 17, 2011
@justwise
Nah I was not talking about politicians, I was talking about people like the immigration officer collecting money in that format as shown on TV,.The ordinary bank official who ask for kick back to proccess ur loan or teh Sec who asks for a fee to proccess your LPO etc/.
Re: Breaking Into Britain - Documentary on BBC one by justwise(m): 8:08pm On Jun 17, 2011
erico2k2:

@justwise
Nah I was not talking about politicians, I was talking about people like the immigration officer collecting money in that format as shown on TV,.The ordinary bank official who ask for kick back to proccess your loan or teh Sec who asks for a fee to proccess your LPO etc/.
I see where u are coming from but corruption in Nigeria is not just poverty issue, some pple are just greedy, even with millions in their bank account they will still ask for bribe.

That immigration officer did not bother to do any check b4 handing Nigerian passport to a complete foreigner.
Re: Breaking Into Britain - Documentary on BBC one by Patsey: 8:24pm On Jun 17, 2011
worry246:

Why would anyone claim to be Nigerian?

Foreigners or non-Nigerians claim to be Nigerians to commit heinous crime, hide their real identities and keep their good names intact. For example, if you are a Ghanaian whose real name is Jerry Rawlings and you obtained a Nigerian passport with, for example, the name Olusegun Obasanjo, and assuming you proceed to commit a crime, the law enforcement agencies would ostensibly be looking for the wrong person. And assuming you were caught, criminal records becomes attached to your fictitious name and not your real name. So, before the law, the real name of the criminal remains untarnished. Criminal record checks would treat you, under your real name as free of any criminal records.

Nigerians are regarded as lower than [/b]RATS or [b]JEWS.

This IMO mirrors your BIGOTRY and PATHETIC sides
Re: Breaking Into Britain - Documentary on BBC one by seyibrown(f): 8:27pm On Jun 17, 2011
It is people like the immigration officer that really makes me scared for the future of Nigeria! Even if we break up into 20 states, we will still take all these corrupt people with us! They are everywhere!  sad  angry! Didn't a thread/post say OBJ said it was impossible to eradicate corruption in Nigeria?? A stronger stance needs to be taken against corruption in Nigeria and Africa as a whole! Law enforcement agents sex/u/al/y abusing helpless women and Children, and taking bribes?   angry  sad Will people stop trying to get into other countries illegally despite knowing the possible dangers they are exposing themselves to  . . .  sad  angry  . . . . People risk death, rape, illness to live in another country but do not want to risk  the same to get our leaders to make their home country livable? When are we going to liberate ourselves? Sorry, If I am just rambling . . .  angry
Re: Breaking Into Britain - Documentary on BBC one by justwise(m): 8:37pm On Jun 17, 2011
seyibrown:

It is people like the immigration officer that really makes me scared for the future of Nigeria! Even if we break up into 20 states, we will still take all these corrupt people with us! They are everywhere!  sad  angry! Didn't a thread/post say OBJ said it was impossible to eradicate corruption in Nigeria?? A stronger stance needs to be taken against corruption in Nigeria and Africa as a whole! Law enforcement agents sex/u/al/y abusing helpless women and Children, and taking bribes?   angry  sad Will people stop trying to get into other countries illegally despite knowing the possible dangers they are exposing themselves to  . . .  sad  angry  . . . . People risk death, violation, illness to live in another country but do not want to risk  the same to get our leaders to make their home country livable? When are we going to liberate ourselves? Sorry, If I am just rambling . . .  angry

No u are not, what u said makes sense to me.
Re: Breaking Into Britain - Documentary on BBC one by erico2k2(m): 8:53pm On Jun 17, 2011
@Justwise and seyibrown
I do agree with you guys, but lets check out this question*What is the driving force behind these despiration?.
Re: Breaking Into Britain - Documentary on BBC one by justwise(m): 9:07pm On Jun 17, 2011
erico2k2:

@Justwise and seyibrown
I do agree with you guys, but lets check out this question*What is the driving force behind these despiration?.

£££ and $$$, i also blame some Nigerians abroad, they tell alot of lies about life abroad, sending pple back home wrong messages, that pushes pple to take all sorts of risks to travel ''abroad''.
Re: Breaking Into Britain - Documentary on BBC one by PofP: 9:17pm On Jun 17, 2011
It is surely open season on Nigeria.

I watched the programme and what I have been trying to figure out is why there was any mention of Nigeria in it.

I am not naive to see or acknowledge that there is corruption and that there are socio-economic issues , but did anyone notice that the only part of related to Nigeria in the programme was the possibility to obtain a genuine passport and that all through the rest of the show there wasn't a single Nigerian that the journalist met on his travels?

Why didn't the journalist tackle the corruption that goes on at the British embassies in the other countries? after all getting a passport is only the beginning of the journey right? you would still need a visa on the passport to get into the country you are heading to and yes there are "ways" to get the visa if you know what i mean and its seems that part of the whole story has been intention left out.

There are massive corrupt practices in Nigeria for sure, but there are countries that has corruption a lot more wide spread like India that the BBC hasn't picked on and I keep wondering why would that be? is it cos our people don't give a damn? is it cos we are all talk and no action?
Re: Breaking Into Britain - Documentary on BBC one by erico2k2(m): 11:15pm On Jun 17, 2011
@ p of P
that was what I meant in my initial post, they never bothered to show how easy or how common it was to get a British VISA,that was left out .
Re: Breaking Into Britain - Documentary on BBC one by kulutempa: 11:48pm On Jun 17, 2011
seyibrown:

It is people like the immigration officer that really makes me scared for the future of Nigeria! Even if we break up into 20 states, we will still take all these corrupt people with us! They are everywhere!  sad  angry! Didn't a thread/post say OBJ said it was impossible to eradicate corruption in Nigeria?? A stronger stance needs to be taken against corruption in Nigeria and Africa as a whole! Law enforcement agents sex/u/al/y abusing helpless women and Children, and taking bribes?   angry  sad Will people stop trying to get into other countries illegally despite knowing the possible dangers they are exposing themselves to  . . .  sad  angry  . . . . People risk death, violation, illness to live in another country but do not want to risk  the same to get our leaders to make their home country livable? When are we going to liberate ourselves? Sorry, If I am just rambling . . .  angry

@seyibrown, you have just put your finger on the main cause of our problems in not just Nigeria, but Africa as a whole. We always seem to like the easy way out of any difficult situation. We are so scared to fight and die for a better life for our children in our own country that we go through hell to travel to Western countries whose citizens have made the necessary sacrifices that got them to where they are today. We always prefer to take the short cut rather than confront our problems head on with determination and perseverance until we overcome them. I have come to the conclusion that this is the key difference between Europeans and Africans and that is why it will take more than a miracle for us to liberate ourselves from the oppressive, corrupt and shameless leaders who keep holding us back.
Re: Breaking Into Britain - Documentary on BBC one by DisGuy: 12:12am On Jun 18, 2011
erico2k2:

@ p of P
that was what I meant in my initial post, they never bothered to show how easy or how common it was to get a British VISA,that was left out .

in this particular one they didnt, their focus was obviously on something else, I dont know about common but there has always been one programme or the other showing how people enter/stay in the country, several artciles by the same people you accuse of 'targeting' nigerians, exposing their own loops holes

Panorama : http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00ztfq1

How to get a sham marriage

these programmes/stories are all over the internet what more do you want them to do, go and put it in Nigerian news papers to show they are not just targeting nigerians?

and all the news we read in the independent, the sun, daily mail-about workers in the home office being arrested here n there are those news investigations by Nigerian journalists?
Re: Breaking Into Britain - Documentary on BBC one by o2dlomez(m): 8:26am On Jun 18, 2011
Re: Breaking Into Britain - Documentary on BBC one by o2dlomez(m): 8:32am On Jun 18, 2011

I agree with you, imagine them saying hat majority of west africa trying to get into britian comes from Nigeria, so ANNOYING angry angry angry, like we are the majority of west africa, others dont follow.

And the way the stress it, that if a plane comes from Nigeria, that they would look out for the plane.
Re: Breaking Into Britain - Documentary on BBC one by AjanleKoko: 11:03am On Jun 18, 2011
o2dlomez:

I agree with you, imagine them saying hat majority of west africa trying to get into britian comes from Nigeria, so ANNOYING angry angry angry, like we are the majority of west africa, others dont follow.

And the way the stress it, that if a plane comes from Nigeria, that they would look out for the plane.

Well . . . we are kind of more populous than most of West Africa. We're probably more populous than all of Anglophone West Africa put together.
So that isn't stereotyping.
Re: Breaking Into Britain - Documentary on BBC one by justwise(m): 11:17am On Jun 18, 2011
o2dlomez:

Well. . .Nigeria sells. .is like saying bad news sells, with a bit of Nigeria 'flaviour' people will be keen to watch the program
Re: Breaking Into Britain - Documentary on BBC one by AjanleKoko: 12:14pm On Jun 18, 2011
Whinging Brits. angry

Always complaining about everything. Immigration, FIFA . . . undecided
Re: Breaking Into Britain - Documentary on BBC one by DisGuy: 12:19pm On Jun 18, 2011
well, thing is the whining/complaints usually gets result or keep those in 'authority on their toes! Unlike my gidi
Re: Breaking Into Britain - Documentary on BBC one by AjanleKoko: 12:34pm On Jun 18, 2011
Dis Guy:

well, thing is the whining/complaints usually gets result or keep those in 'authority on their toes! Unlike my gidi

Hehehe.
In Britain, it's the authorities that seem to be whinging the loudest grin
In 'our gidi', they just STHU and keep on shafting the citizens. They never pretend to be anything else.
Re: Breaking Into Britain - Documentary on BBC one by justwise(m): 4:43pm On Jun 18, 2011
AjanleKoko:

Whinging Brits. angry

Always complaining about everything. Immigration, FIFA . . . undecided

So in ur own opinion everybody should look the other way while corruption go on?
Re: Breaking Into Britain - Documentary on BBC one by seyibrown(f): 5:59pm On Jun 18, 2011
With this level of corruption at the Nigerian Immigration Service, the Nigerian Passport will soon be worth nothing and holders will be subjected to more humiliation at foreign ports of entry. Who knows how many non-Nigerian criminals can boast of a fake Nigerian Name and address on an Original Passport! There's no need to go to Oluwole anymore since you can get the original thing from immigration with a bribe! sad
Re: Breaking Into Britain - Documentary on BBC one by AjanleKoko: 6:15pm On Jun 18, 2011
seyibrown:

With this level of corruption at the Nigerian Immigration Service, the Nigerian Passport will soon be worth nothing and holders will be subjected to more humiliation at foreign ports of entry. Who knows how many non-Nigerian criminals can boast of a fake Nigerian Name and address on an Original Passport! There's no need to go to Oluwole anymore since you can get the original thing from immigration with a bribe! sad

Well, considering that a number of spies and international criminals usually have no trouble procuring  British and American passports (remember the two Israeli agents that assasinated someone in Dubai last year?), I struggle to see your point.

justwise:

So in your own opinion everybody should look the other way while corruption go on?

No. I only said that the Brits are whiners. Period.
They complain when things don't go their way. Remember the US also bidded for a World Cup, but didn't go around whining that they refused to pay bribes, when they didn't get it.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

List Of Countries In The World And Their Capitals 2014 / Which Is The Best Place To Immigrate To, Uk, Usa, Canada, Australia And Europe ? / Flying From Lagos To The Maldives

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.