Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,407 members, 7,812,203 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:59 AM

Its Official: That Blackberry Phone Is NOW Obsolete! - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Its Official: That Blackberry Phone Is NOW Obsolete! (35938 Views)

Is ITEL Now Obsolete? / This Blackberry Phone Is Giving Me Headache-help! / There Is A New Blackberry Phone In Town.. And It Has A Problem..See What We Mean (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Its Official: That Blackberry Phone Is NOW Obsolete! by vivaciousvivi(f): 8:38am On Jan 05, 2022
Classic BlackBerry phones stop working today

You can no longer use that old BlackBerry phone sitting at the bottom of your drawer somewhere.

On Tuesday, the company will stop running support for its classic devices running BlackBerry 10, 7.1 OS and earlier. This means all of its older devices not running on Android software will no longer be able to use data, send text messages, access the internet or make calls, even to 911.

While most mobile users have moved on from BlackBerry -- the last version of its operating system launched in 2013 -- the decision to discontinue support for its phones represents the end of what was once considered bleeding-edge technology.

BlackBerry (BB) has been mostly out of the phone business since 2016, but over the years it continued to license its brand to phone manufacturers, including TCL and more recently OnwardMobility, an Austin, Texas-based security startup, for a 5G Blackberry device running on Android software.

BlackBerry's old school cell phones with physical keyboards from the late 1990s and early 2000s were once so popular people nicknamed them "CrackBerries." The devices became a status symbol and fixture for people on Wall Street, celebrities like Kim Kardashian, and even former President Barack Obama, thanks in part to its great reputation for security. At its peak in 2012, BlackBerry had more than 80 million active users.

But Apple's touchscreen revolution with the iPhone in 2007 made BlackBerry's offerings appear lacking. It tried touch screens and slide-out keyboard models, with little success. It developed a few phones with no physical keyboard, but those were missing BlackBerry's key differentiator: its tactile keyboard.
BlackBerry eventually gave up on its own software, embracing Android and layering its security software on top.

Culled: https://edition.cnn.com/2022/01/04/tech/blackberry-phones-stop-working/index.html

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Its Official: That Blackberry Phone Is NOW Obsolete! by Kingjay007: 8:41am On Jan 05, 2022
Times and seasons apply to us all!

Use yours wisely

395 Likes 34 Shares

Re: Its Official: That Blackberry Phone Is NOW Obsolete! by dedonfranco(m): 8:50am On Jan 05, 2022
Na wahoo

What about the Girls that lost their virginity because of BlackBerry, They willnt be happy with this News.

243 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Its Official: That Blackberry Phone Is NOW Obsolete! by DonBenny77(m): 9:20am On Jan 05, 2022
dedonfranco:
Na wahoo

What about the Girls that lost their virginity because of BlackBerry, They willnt be happy with this News.
They have upgraded to iphone

212 Likes 20 Shares

Re: Its Official: That Blackberry Phone Is NOW Obsolete! by IAMLIT: 9:22am On Jan 05, 2022
Really? You should specify the OS version of Blackberry to become obsolete because some haven't reached their End of Life (EOL) yet.
You can see the end of life for a particular version on their website.

Modified: Blackberry 10, 7.1 OS and earlier
Cool.

14 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Its Official: That Blackberry Phone Is NOW Obsolete! by Slynation(m): 10:14am On Jan 05, 2022
Gone are those days...!! The only thing I miss in blackberry was their monthly unlimited subscription!! Now aways 10GB hardly last a week for me...!!

71 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Its Official: That Blackberry Phone Is NOW Obsolete! by greenie77: 10:20am On Jan 05, 2022
dedonfranco:
Na wahoo

What about Guys who got killed or went to prison because of Blackberry, they would not be happy with this news.

Both gender did irrational things because of BlackBerry.

147 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Its Official: That Blackberry Phone Is NOW Obsolete! by vivaciousvivi(f): 10:21am On Jan 05, 2022
dedonfranco:
Na wahoo

they are busy trying to hustle for iphones Pro Max dear.
No time grin

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Its Official: That Blackberry Phone Is NOW Obsolete! by dankwoska: 10:51am On Jan 05, 2022
Sincere con9olences cool
Re: Its Official: That Blackberry Phone Is NOW Obsolete! by Nilx: 12:35pm On Jan 05, 2022
If you don’t move,

3 Likes

Re: Its Official: That Blackberry Phone Is NOW Obsolete! by Flytime: 6:27pm On Jan 05, 2022
IAMLIT:
Really? You should specify the OS version of Blackberry to become obsolete because some haven't reached their End of Life (EOL) yet.
You can see the end of life for a particular version on their website.

Modified: Blackberry 10, 7.1 OS and earlier
Cool.
it still doesn’t matter
People have moved away from blackberry by the time they switched to android
Besides even the android version would soon stop getting support,only difference is that they might still have access to the play store, make calls, send text and do things that requires google service since it’s controlled by google not blackberry
The blackberry os is controlled by blackberry and they are shutting it down hence a lot of things not working anymore
Blackberry wasn’t just the same anymore when the switched to android ,I mean why not just go buy the cheaper android phones around rather than wasting a ton on blackberry android which was over priced
That’s why it didn’t last,I think they only released 2 android devices the key and key 2 before they stopped producing phones
But at the same time they were the cause for their downfall

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Its Official: That Blackberry Phone Is NOW Obsolete! by BlackyOne: 7:00pm On Jan 05, 2022
My first dislike for blackberry phones wasn't because of its features or OS nor its design but my first dislike for the blackberry phones was because of Nigerian girls

I remember at the peak of the blackberry wave then in benin city on this eventful day I was going through where all roads converge in benin, popularly called Ring road and I observed that almost all the girls were having/holding blackberry dangling on their left hands while their handbags was hanged on their elbows, and one thought that came to mind was why can't these girls keep the phones inside their bags like normal people do.

Just like today with the iphone we all know how super expensive the blackberry was in it's days of glory and how girls that can't afford to pay rent or buy textbooks in school could magical use the power of clitocurrency to purchase these machines.

But look at blackberry today and how they've been rendered useless like the puna of yester years.
Now iphone is taking it tolls on the puna of young/ill-matured Nigeria girls, what an endless cycle of wasted clitocurrency and old ragged puna.

RIP to the Puna that was scattered, babies born out of wedlock, abortions, STIs and STDs as a result of Blackberry being introduced to Nigerian girls

73 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Its Official: That Blackberry Phone Is NOW Obsolete! by ecomalchemist(m): 8:01pm On Jan 05, 2022
Still got mines with the pack and receipt intact.

Bought from slot in 2010, the bold 4 was my real OG back in the days.

Check back In the next 15 years, its still gonna be intact.

67 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Its Official: That Blackberry Phone Is NOW Obsolete! by RenaissanceGuy: 8:57pm On Jan 05, 2022
The saying that change is the only constant thing in life keeps repeating itself over and over again. Android and iOS could become obsolete in the coming years, too.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Its Official: That Blackberry Phone Is NOW Obsolete! by Brownshoe: 11:24pm On Jan 05, 2022
And i like blackberry alot, but i can't just reverse.

3 Likes

Re: Its Official: That Blackberry Phone Is NOW Obsolete! by blaquebelle: 1:32am On Jan 06, 2022
This life nawa oo. I wonder if apple will go obsolete like this too

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Its Official: That Blackberry Phone Is NOW Obsolete! by iamyemiakins(m): 4:44am On Jan 06, 2022
Blackberry wey dem use disvirgin a lot of girls back then grin

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Its Official: That Blackberry Phone Is NOW Obsolete! by BigDawsNet: 6:25am On Jan 06, 2022
You can convert it to mp3 player

5 Likes

Re: Its Official: That Blackberry Phone Is NOW Obsolete! by Follygunners: 9:10am On Jan 06, 2022
Na Blueberry dey town now... cool
Re: Its Official: That Blackberry Phone Is NOW Obsolete! by Optimistguy1969: 9:10am On Jan 06, 2022
And so?!
I have not seen a blackberry for the past 3 to 4 years.
So what's the fuss about?

2 Likes

Re: Its Official: That Blackberry Phone Is NOW Obsolete! by Gwan2(m): 9:10am On Jan 06, 2022
Wow

I will gist my children what this brand of phone did to their mothers generation....I rest my case.

14 Likes

Re: Its Official: That Blackberry Phone Is NOW Obsolete! by ramenojae: 9:10am On Jan 06, 2022
cheesy this thing that some people were stealing money to buy is now useless. Over to you righteousness

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Its Official: That Blackberry Phone Is NOW Obsolete! by FineUsername(m): 9:10am On Jan 06, 2022
cheesy Was now dai
Re: Its Official: That Blackberry Phone Is NOW Obsolete! by TheGiftedOne(m): 9:10am On Jan 06, 2022
Nothing lasts forever

1 Like

Re: Its Official: That Blackberry Phone Is NOW Obsolete! by TimmyTen(m): 9:10am On Jan 06, 2022
Blackberry phones should be topics under history curriculum in schools grin cheesy cheesy

5 Likes

Re: Its Official: That Blackberry Phone Is NOW Obsolete! by money121(m): 9:10am On Jan 06, 2022
Ok
Re: Its Official: That Blackberry Phone Is NOW Obsolete! by dodoatirice: 9:10am On Jan 06, 2022
Blackberry Bold 2 wey i take off amaka pantties that year..

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Its Official: That Blackberry Phone Is NOW Obsolete! by Olayetan(m): 9:11am On Jan 06, 2022
Eeyah

1 Like

Re: Its Official: That Blackberry Phone Is NOW Obsolete! by Brendaniel: 9:11am On Jan 06, 2022
Wow, Blackberry, I think they didn't see it coming...

2 Likes

Re: Its Official: That Blackberry Phone Is NOW Obsolete! by ArchiLimited: 9:11am On Jan 06, 2022
Who didn't know before
Re: Its Official: That Blackberry Phone Is NOW Obsolete! by WibusJaga: 9:11am On Jan 06, 2022

Na so life be. There is nothing that you are killing yourself for today, that will not one day become obselete.

9 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Great App For Watching Live Matches (android) / Can I Still Get These Nokia Phones? / 2go Logging In Problem

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.