Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,399 members, 7,861,119 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 01:09 AM

President Buhari: State Police Is Not An Option - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President Buhari: State Police Is Not An Option (17103 Views)

Terrorists Wearing Hijab Attack Police Checkpoint In Katsina, Buhari's State / 'See How Hurricane Atiku Invaded Katsina, Buhari's State' - Dele Momodu / Atiku Lands In Buhari's State Today As He Continue His Rally (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: President Buhari: State Police Is Not An Option by JOemmy(m): 11:44am On Jan 05, 2022
We already know its because state police will stop ur fulani conquest agenda. Is the current federal police not been used for personal and ethnic agenda? Are the SW governors abusing ametekun since it was set up?
Re: President Buhari: State Police Is Not An Option by Nobody: 11:46am On Jan 05, 2022
MT:

Till the Monsters of Governors we have in Nigeria let go of the 3rd tier of Government. It is a big shame to the Governors really. Killing another legal tier of Government. Sadly, it is the presidency that people talk about leaving out the selfish Governors, who are directly in charge of Monthly state allocation given to each state, and the puppet state house of assemblies.

Before you criticise the Presidency, have you asked your State Governors how they spend the Monthly State Allocation given to your states. Is your State House Assemblies performing the roles of Checks and Balances??

I agree with all what you said

GMB signed a bill that states that the LG will be giving there funds directly, I wander why the LG chairman can't sue any state government withholding their funds now.
Re: President Buhari: State Police Is Not An Option by J3susFr3ak: 11:48am On Jan 05, 2022
backbencher:
I don't agree with Bubu MOST OF THE TIME, but the partiuclar issue of state police has 3 problems for me

1. Funding. Most states don't earn enough money to fund normal stuff, talkless state police

2. And let's be honest, governors will use the state police to deal with their opponents.

3. And let's not talk about what would happen in cases of tribal and religious crisis.

The USA that had state police, during the civil rights era of the 1960s, there were times where the federal government had to intervene because the state police was heavily heavily racist ( in some instances indistinguishable from groups like the KKK)

Modified

1. Expanding further on point 1, our tax to gdp ratio is low. Less than 30% of Nigerians don't pay income tax to state and federal government. So, where are we going to find the money for state police? Is it from oil whose price jumps up and down? No, loans. Just loans.

2.We had regional police in 1966. You people know what happened that year.

So the alternative would mean settle for the current status quo where the Muslim-Fulani dominated Government assist their Terrorist kinsfolk to ravage innocent Christian villages and kill lives in the name of what....land grab? The current system is TOTALLY unacceptable!

1. Funding is a problem because there is no political will and an organizational framework to work with...and of course, the lazy default from oil subventions is the alluring trap that kills all incentive to innovate. For instance, people EAT everyday. This means people need to go to the market and BUY stuff everyday. If both the open and closed air markets are structured in a way that requires a credible POS where the state can automatically deduct a 10 to 15 percent tax from every single purchase made --even from food items alone--there you have solved a lot of the thorny funding problems for State police. Yes, any person or group that would want to trade must do so through that system where every transaction can be tracked. You have to go cashless to enter the market and use the POS. If you have cash and cannot go to the Bank--the State Government can collaborate with the Banks to issue a "Market Card" where you buy the card for the amount of money you have (just like recharge cards) and then you pay for your items with that card. Any cash transactions in the market will see both buyer and seller liable to severe fines and jail terms. If every single transaction is FORCED to go cashless through a state controlled POS then it is far easier for the state government to collect its 10 percent for every single purchase made in that market. Any market that rejects a POS is BANNED!

I did not mention how Property Taxes can also be used to fund Education, the courts and the also law enforcement in some advanced countries.

2. Governors can also be checked when they abuse their powers. In the US you have Internal Affairs from a higher jurisdiction with the powers to investigate any breech of trust and abuse of power. Just make it into a strong law that when a Governor has been found to abuse his power by the facts unveiled by political opponents or any other group--the Governor immediately loses control or power over the State Police. A Temporary neutral Figure can then take over control of the State Police (a Traditional Ruler, A Judge or even a Higher Regional Police Structure to which the State Police is answerable to) as the facts of the case are being debated in the courts of law. If the Governor is found guilty, he is immediately impeached. If not...he resumes control of the State Police.

3. If the Governor finds that a crisis is beyond the ability of the State Police to cope, the Regional or even Federal Police can then come to temporarily take over the situation until the situation is quelled. This loss of power will motivate the Governors to not want to escalate any crisis of any kind.

You know the fact that you mention 1966 and you do understand that most of the crisis and pogroms then was an interplay between the major ethnic groups. Today under a Federal system, the same 1966-type pogroms have been brutally carried out in Benue, Southern Kaduna. Plateau, Taraba....with the objective of wiping out Christian minorities who have no real control of the security apparatus in their various states and domains...only to see Hausas and Fulanis using the same Federal structures to forward an Islamization agenda. The current Federal Policing system has failed these indigenous people. State Police is the only option to balance the equation for true law and justice to prevail.

1 Like

Re: President Buhari: State Police Is Not An Option by bitbillionaire: 11:49am On Jan 05, 2022
State police would spell doom for the nation

Re: President Buhari: State Police Is Not An Option by Nobody: 11:49am On Jan 05, 2022
ivolt:

Buhari has done nothing meaningful actually.
Since the constitution recognizes LG, then the problem is easy.

Set up separate allocation accounts for LG.
Make a law abolishing caretaker chairman and transfer of LG allocation to the state.
Set up an anti-corruption agency to monitor LG fund usage within the LG.

With this, the LG will be as free as the state governor.
I doubt GMB can do what you're suggesting.

LG areas getting there funds will truly bring development to the grassroot if they are been monitored well.

And I think INEC should be in charge of LG elections, states electoral commission should stop been in charge

1 Like

Re: President Buhari: State Police Is Not An Option by faste: 11:51am On Jan 05, 2022
Abujason:

In sane countries, that won’t be the call of this dictator to make. The National Assembly is the arm of govt responsible for making laws, not the executive.

But then again, do we have a National Assembly (not this rubberstamp ooo)?
I agree state police creation is not within the jurisdiction of the executive but the national assembly,including the power to override the veto if he declines accent..but then they are all partners in the criminality of suppressing the Nigerian people from manifesting destiny..
Re: President Buhari: State Police Is Not An Option by dat9jaguy(m): 11:52am On Jan 05, 2022
backbencher:

Well, I didn't agree with GEJ In everything, except when he provided extra funding for Nollywood, and when he also did things like strengthen AMCON and the railways, and privatized NEPA finally.

A broken clock, whatever the vintage, is right sometimes.

Bhubu is still a bad leader for me, economy and security wise.

You are free to your own opinions but my beef is that you claim not to agree with Buhari on this issue but went ahead to agree with him in your write up.
No matter your hatred for Buhari, commend him when he gets it right;It will not remove anything from your body.

Re: President Buhari: State Police Is Not An Option by JOemmy(m): 11:53am On Jan 05, 2022
backbencher:
I don't agree with Bubu MOST OF THE TIME, but the partiuclar issue of state police has 3 problems for me

1. Funding. Most states don't earn enough money to fund normal stuff, talkless state police

2. And let's be honest, governors will use the state police to deal with their opponents.

3. And let's not talk about what would happen in cases of tribal and religious crisis.

The USA that had state police, during the civil rights era of the 1960s, there were times where the federal government had to intervene because the state police was heavily heavily racist ( in some instances indistinguishable from groups like the KKK)

Modified

1. Expanding further on point 1, our tax to gdp ratio is low. About 70% of Nigerians don't pay income tax to state and federal government. So, where are we going to find the money for state police? Is it from oil whose price jumps up and down? No, loans. Just loans.

Who is funding the ametekun in the SW? States especially in the north who can't fund their police should be assisted by the federal govt by deploring the federal police there one section of country can't continue to draw back other sections of nigeria that urgently wants things to be done in a more civilized and organized way.
Re: President Buhari: State Police Is Not An Option by faste: 11:58am On Jan 05, 2022
backbencher:

Well, even in the USA, that nice arrangement is also subject to abuse well well (not just during the civil rights era, politicians can abuse the thing , and so forth)

plus, just as you argue that weakness of state police should not prevent us from having state police, weakness of national police cannot prevent us from having one.

I prefer national police, even though I would want us to have a state police because Nigerians won't pay the tax for the police to function well, and also because , based on our experience in the mid 1960's, where regional police(and the already de-facto regionalised army) stood and did nothing while pogroms happened, and because Nigerians aren't pro-human rights whatsoever.
Lame escuse!!Change is inevitable in life.We all must make changes in our lives to survive the demand and challenges of our time.
Re: President Buhari: State Police Is Not An Option by walozanga(m): 12:02pm On Jan 05, 2022
See the mentality of this coconut head we have as president
Re: President Buhari: State Police Is Not An Option by JOemmy(m): 12:02pm On Jan 05, 2022
Damidave1124:
I'm tempted to bash Buhari, but haven gone through the write up, I must say he raised some salient points.

The governors, if given the opportunity will abuse it, they'll use it to which hunt their opponents till the subdue them.

Again, the north is scared of state police, because they'll lose their grip on Nigeria at large. Each state controlling the police will not favour the born to rule people

I think it's far safer for a governor to be in total control of the police in his own state than for a northerner who is far away in the north who knows next to nothing about the going on in states in the south. A governor in the south can never sit and watch while foreign herdsmen wipe out his own people.
Re: President Buhari: State Police Is Not An Option by Bobxin: 12:04pm On Jan 05, 2022
CSTRR:

So all the chronic insecurity everywhere has not taught you guys that the current federal controlled policing will not solve anything?
I get your point, but 'State Policing' would only make it worse.

1 Like

Re: President Buhari: State Police Is Not An Option by faste: 12:08pm On Jan 05, 2022
Tpharell:

Thank you for this. Mr president highlighted the issues the LG have with governors even as he has clearly failed to do the needful to curb the governors excesses
He is not interested,when there is so much he can do to whittle down governors'grip on LG
Re: President Buhari: State Police Is Not An Option by faste: 12:12pm On Jan 05, 2022
backbencher:

1.Most African countries have bad power supply like Nigeria does. What they do is supply their urban areas at the expense of their rural areas, unlike Nigeria that tries to give power to everyone(see the map below...access to power)

Plus Nigerians are not ready to pay for 24 hour power the same way we pay for 24 hour access to GSM service. And I'll leave it at that.

2.As for police force, Nigerians aren't democratically active enough to make it work (AS Pointed elsewhere) and then when only 30% of the taxable adults pay income tax, and oil prices are going down, and will go down in the near future, funding is going to be an issue.

3.And Nigeria is an autocratic and tribal society. State police in such a society would be a disaster. (That's why most African countries don't have state police either.).
Lame excuse, no country relies on income tax for her developmental need,industrialization and economic development brings prosperity.Ask china
Re: President Buhari: State Police Is Not An Option by faste: 12:22pm On Jan 05, 2022
backbencher:

Tribalisim, religionist issues, autocratic state governors.

Plus, it isn't just Nigeria, all African countries don't have state police, as do some European, and other countries.

Have you elected a decent governor yourself, since it is your cross to bear?

If you guys are willing to put tribal, religious and corruption issues away, plus pay the taxes for the thing (because oil money cannot even cover daily expense self, even if we 'reduce government spending, and corruption').

The money we spend on the police is one tenth of what the NYPD spends to police the city of New York and its environs.(which is why our police look like bedraggled and poor church mice, and why ENDSARS among their demands asked for better funding for the police)

SPLIT IT among the states, and it won't be enough.

Thus, taxes...which most Nigerians don't like.
Even if all Nigerians pay tax including unborn babies,it would still not be enough to provide decent infrastructure.Develope and expand your economy and watch revenue roll in...where do u think China generates her wealth from??

1 Like

Re: President Buhari: State Police Is Not An Option by Nobody: 12:32pm On Jan 05, 2022
Sebastine1994:
I hate buhari but hiß talk make sense 100%>

When you dash governor's power without accountability, they will do and undo. State police works in America because the citizens are politically active.

State police is not the answer to our problem, but citizens speaking with one voice and we would get whatever we want in life. Trust me.

If all boys decide to speak with one voice we would end government manipulation.

All boys ..... speak with one voice....nah film you dey write abi wetin?..... citizens....one voice...in what planet??

Government can only be repelled using force.....gbas gbos....booommm!!!!!......fire towards fire.... seriously real matters..,....Holly gram....what the furrrk man

Dammmnn Nigggar

E be things
Re: President Buhari: State Police Is Not An Option by ivolt: 12:34pm On Jan 05, 2022
DubaiLandLord:
I doubt GMB can do what you're suggesting.

LG areas getting there funds will truly bring development to the grassroot if they are been monitored well.

And I think INEC should be in charge of LG elections, states electoral commission should stop been in charge
He can do it but the will to do is a different matter.
Since the national assembly would not reject any reasonable bill he sponsors,
LG autonomy will be a done deal if he shows serious interest.

1 Like

Re: President Buhari: State Police Is Not An Option by Nobody: 12:36pm On Jan 05, 2022
faste:
Even if all Nigerians pay tax including unborn babies,it would still not be enough to provide decent infrastructure.Develope and expand your economy and watch revenue roll in...where do u think China generates her wealth from??

The politically induced disasters will not allow Nigeria to have a developed economy...... understand?
Re: President Buhari: State Police Is Not An Option by Ovamboland(m): 12:37pm On Jan 05, 2022
vanbonattel:
So, killings and Ethnic cleansing under a lopsided police and army is the best?

Under the present circumstances, 95% of the police commissioners are fulani people. The IGP is a fulani man. Over 60% of the DPO and DCO are all fulani. And the fulani is just less than 4% of Nigeria population.

When the northerners start their killing spree in the south, they always have all the police and army protection they need because their brothers will protect and urge them on. This leads to immediate casualties and arrest of anyone that is not a northerner.

There can never be enforcement of anti grazing laws in the south because the police command structure is controlled by the same fulani that owns the cows.

There is much crime in the south because Adamus and Abduls that doesn't know anything about the terrain are in control of police formations and criminals will be running amok knowing that the Adamus knows motjing about the terrain they operate. They are just bribe collecting robots intent on checkpoint profits.

State police will help the locals who are the real stakeholders to police their domain in the way they want, nobody can do anyhow because we know his address. Police brutality will be reduced to the minimum because there will not be any Northern policeman who will shoot innocent people and get an automatic transfer back to Jigawa state where he continues him crimes.

Why telling lies that police is 95% Fulani?

The same inferiority complex you carried when Obasanjo and Jonathan were president. If your perception under the duo remains till today then you should know your life will remain one of servitude and second class citizen as nothing can be done.

When Jonathan needed to harass Amaechi when he was Rivers governor he knew how to deploy the full force of the Fulani police force but forgot what to do to protect Benue and Plateau Taraba.

Let politicians and ethnic jingoist be using your head and messing up wity your mind with all these false statements

1 Like

Re: President Buhari: State Police Is Not An Option by Nobody: 12:40pm On Jan 05, 2022
ivolt:

He can do it but the will to do is a different matter.
Since the national assembly would not reject any reasonable bill he sponsors,
LG autonomy will be a done deal if he shows serious interest.

The entire government including the president,vice, governors, deputies, senators, ministers,lg chairmen,etc aren't willing to do anything except getting as much as they can from the resources in Nigeria towards their respective pockets......argue with your toiletries.

2 Likes

Re: President Buhari: State Police Is Not An Option by Ovamboland(m): 12:41pm On Jan 05, 2022
Sebastine1994:
I hate buhari but hiß talk make sense 100%>

When you dash governor's power without accountability, they will do and undo. State police works in America because the citizens are politically active.

State police is not the answer to our problem, but citizens speaking with one voice and we would get whatever we want in life. Trust me.

If all boys decide to speak with one voice we would end government manipulation.

State police is still the better option, you can't buy local knowledge and commitment to the community with the tiny salary.
Re: President Buhari: State Police Is Not An Option by Onuoha1234(m): 12:49pm On Jan 05, 2022
State Police i# an option depending on how it is operated.not what Shehu Sani is shouting as all failed vocal ones frightening our people are now doing. State Police will come just as Federalism will return.What was.Dandoka? What was Akoda? There will be Restructuring this year judging by the way talking is going on.The people have altered radically but these politicians lack vision.!
Re: President Buhari: State Police Is Not An Option by Rayeco(m): 12:51pm On Jan 05, 2022
I think the president is right on this issue...state government are looting local government fund while the president is not doing enough to stop its who's to be blame? ; ;

1 Like

Re: President Buhari: State Police Is Not An Option by UltraSphinx(m): 1:03pm On Jan 05, 2022
vanbonattel:
So, killings and Ethnic cleansing under a lopsided police and army is the best?

Under the present circumstances, 95% of the police commissioners are fulani people. The IGP is a fulani man. Over 60% of the DPO and DCO are all fulani.

With all due respect sir, you are such a horrible liar!
How did you come up with these stats
95% commissioners!
60% DPO and DCOs!!

Haha?!

1 Like

Re: President Buhari: State Police Is Not An Option by Amah70: 1:08pm On Jan 05, 2022
backbencher:

Modified

1. Expanding further on point 1, our tax to gdp ratio is low. About 70% of Nigerians don't pay income tax to state and federal government. So, where are we going to find the money for state police? Is it from oil whose price jumps up and down? No, loans. Just loans.

Your argument is based on SHARING FEDERAL ALLOCATION money generated from one side of the country to all.

Modern Regional, State, County, Local government area Police formations, are managed by the citizens, via elected POLICE CHIEFS.

Every area's police take care of the area's peculiar problems.

1 Like

Re: President Buhari: State Police Is Not An Option by Amah70: 1:15pm On Jan 05, 2022
Nosayer:
They know what they're doing.

It shouldn't surprise anyone again the direction of leadership in Nigeria. [b]Feudalism is what [/b]we're actually practice and the Lagos incidence, the arrest of Igboho etc which undermined the authority of state governors are classical examples.

What pains me is that when the duo of Obasanjo and Jonathan were there, they enjoy the monopoly that comes with the federal police so even if they could do something, they weren't serious about it. Apart from the duo, has any southerner really ruled Nigeria before?

Should we still be asking who the lords, enemies, and destroyers of Nigeria are?

In bold:

Feudalism has come to Nigeria from the worst form of unitary government system.

Those clamoring for political restructuring of Nigeria to full and fiscal federalism watch with mouth agape.
Re: President Buhari: State Police Is Not An Option by Amah70: 1:25pm On Jan 05, 2022
Nosayer:
They know what they're doing.

It shouldn't surprise anyone again the direction of leadership in Nigeria. [b]Feudalism is what we're actually practice [/b]and the Lagos incidence, the arrest of Igboho etc which undermined the authority of state governors are classical examples.

What pains me is that when the duo of Obasanjo and Jonathan were there, they enjoy the monopoly that comes with the federal police so even if they could do something, they weren't serious about it. Apart from the duo, has any southerner really ruled Nigeria before?

Should we still be asking who the lords, enemies, and destroyers of Nigeria are?

In bold:

Feudalism has come to Nigeria from the worst form of unitary government system.

Those clamoring for political restructuring of Nigeria to full and fiscal federalism watch with mouth agape.
Re: President Buhari: State Police Is Not An Option by richeso: 1:35pm On Jan 05, 2022
mr president, please.. what is HISBAH ?
Re: President Buhari: State Police Is Not An Option by Nobody: 1:36pm On Jan 05, 2022
Amah70:

Your argument is based on SHARING FEDERAL ALLOCATION money generated from one side of the country to all.

Modern Regional, State, County, Local government area Police formations, are managed by the citizens, via elected POLICE CHIEFS.

Every area's police take care of the area's peculiar problems.

Not all of them.

And there is nothing wrong with a central police force.
Re: President Buhari: State Police Is Not An Option by einsteine(m): 1:37pm On Jan 05, 2022
heniford2:
In USA each state has its own state police then we have federal police who supervisor or is above the state, the local government issues is the state government should state is own budget and the local government should also do same,then funds are been transferred to local government for proper use, buhari is a lazy man a big one and has nothing upstairs

The US does not even have state police.

Each city or municipality has its own police.
Re: President Buhari: State Police Is Not An Option by Nobody: 1:38pm On Jan 05, 2022
faste:

Export of industrial goods plus taxes.

Nigeria is a resource dependent nation. And I kvetch about that on this site, so I'm not happy

That's one of the reasons why o don't like PDP or APC. Neither of them want to make us industrial or an exporter of industrial goods and services

Instead na to share oil money. Even states

And China doesn't have state police by the way.
Re: President Buhari: State Police Is Not An Option by Nobody: 1:39pm On Jan 05, 2022
faste:
Lame excuse, no country relies on income tax for her developmental need,industrialization and economic development brings prosperity.Ask china

1.I have said it here repeatedly that we are underdeveloped because we are oil dependent

2. China doesn't have state police.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Kogi 2023 Governorship Election Live Monitoring, Updates, and Results / A Picture Of Ibori In 2009 After Asaba Court Ruled In His Favour / Oba Of Benin To GEJ: Oshiomhole Is Benin's Candidate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.