Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,050 members, 7,810,899 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:58 PM

Why Is It That Islamic Religion Is Link With Violence And Terror. - Islam for Muslims (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Why Is It That Islamic Religion Is Link With Violence And Terror. (19102 Views)

. / Clinton Again Fingers Extreme Poverty As The Root Cause Of Extremism And Terror / Does Islamic Religion Support Killing? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is It That Islamic Religion Is Link With Violence And Terror. by LagosShia: 10:12am On Jun 29, 2011
ibukun obi:

jehovah's witnesses have lived qietly for over 120 years without carrying anything like gun or amunition, they remain the most peaceable people under the sun. they will never fight war or join army. infact they are already enjoying the spiritual paradise mentioned. why not make yourself available to these pple and let them teach you why there is so much violence in this crocked and twisted generation that has defied all psychologycal solution?

You’re just one more abnormal individual.

You cannot compare Muslims of more than 1.3 billion people who populate over 55 countries around the world in majority and are found in the millions in other countries to a small group of religious fanatics who care only about bible-thumping and twisting in a bid to gain converts using sales and marketing skills. Muslims and the religion of Islam have been target and the existence of Islam was threatened from day one for no good reason than its plea for existence. The harm and pain that Muslims have suffered, no other group have gone through that pain in the world.

You want to teach us from the same bible I have presented abominable and violent verses from. You’re just another zealot finding customers to convert.
Re: Why Is It That Islamic Religion Is Link With Violence And Terror. by emmatok(m): 10:17am On Jun 29, 2011
Akanbi_edu:

Sagamite, you better pass this one na.

So if person A kills 1000 in the name of religion and B kills 100000 in other names (money, state, etc). Then A gives you more headache?

Killing should be treated as killing no matter what. It must be seen as a common threat to humanity.

In history, people have always killed for a reason, and they normally rationalize it one way or the other. It doesn't make one better than the other. Because these judgements are subjective. Lets not fall for cheap propaganda.

There something we call "PROFILING" .

If a group of people are into a particular crime they a bound to be "PROFILED"

For example Mexicans in US are profiled for Drug Trafficking.

So most Most Muslims are being "PROFILED " for suicide bombings.
Re: Why Is It That Islamic Religion Is Link With Violence And Terror. by LagosShia: 10:18am On Jun 29, 2011
PAGAN 9JA:

prophet muhammad himself killed innocent Pagan Quraysh tribals, whos only offence was their refusal to convert.

you either ill-informed or misinformed.you need to read more about all the wars fought by our Prophet (sa) and learn more from sane sources:

http://www.al-islam.org/lifeprophet/14.htm

http://www.al-islam.org/military-management-battles-prophet/7.htm
Re: Why Is It That Islamic Religion Is Link With Violence And Terror. by Sweetnecta: 10:22am On Jun 29, 2011
@emmatok;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTm72CB2VCs&NR=1

you will see bush talking about his god, so s general wiliam boyhken. darn human worshipers thinking that they can overcome their Creator.
Re: Why Is It That Islamic Religion Is Link With Violence And Terror. by Nobody: 10:28am On Jun 29, 2011
Sweetnecta:

@seanT: « #202 on: Yesterday at 09:28:29 PM »this is good news that i am regarded in the same string as lagosshia. i guess biblical verses do not prove anything to seant. i can live with that.
@Sagamite « #205 on: Yesterday at 10:13:23 PM »shouldn't common sense tells us that those people who are going against 'the scripture' are hypocrites and ignorant and evil doers n spite of being warned by the scripture not to?
@emmatok; « #208 on: Yesterday at 10:51:37 PM »while these 'jihadists' are wrong, the crusader emperor bush made sure many died in iraq without any tie to 9/11, using false reason however,which paved way for the chrstians preaching and GI winning souls for jesus. what was the reason bush invaded and slaughtered iraqis except for his religion. ironically, he used the force of the most powerful military organization in the world to do it. did you forget abu graib?
@Sagamite (m)and he gives the type of opinion he is railing against.
1 billion is 1,000 millions. so 1.5 billions will be 1,500 millions. what % are the suicide bombers, etc that we blame the whole of 1,500,000,000 people on? if 50% i see a half full cup nstead of the disliked half empty. if 25% i see 75% full cup instead of 25% empty. if 10% i see 90% full cup instead of 10% empty. i will the condition of the christians alone. i will not even look at the condition of the jews. neither allows people to be who they were in history, which was not the case in Madina of Muammad [as].
the jews said they kill the God of the christians, the christians are happy. Is the one who stood by when Jesus was killed according to the bible not equal to the killers, if the christians believe that those of us who were not alive are guiltyfor  the sins of Adam and Eve, arent the christians killers of Jesus just as the jews? what is the worth of the life of jesus; equal to 1 person or billions of people? are the christians not mass murderers, therefore?
@ibukun obi « #211 on: Yesterday at 11:03:12 PM »and they have not even died and they can't escape death. is this truly their paradise as the Messenger [as] said? this is truly a testament to the authenticity.
@M M M 3 (m)can anyone tell me what this dude is saying? i can read ebonics, but this is too sophisticated for me.
No offence!!kkk, arian nation, skinhead, etc. they are all muslims.

grin GI winning souls for jesus??!!!! This thread has officially gone full ret@ard. lmao

Islam is not violent, violence is just it's adherents favorite tool and if violence fails blame the Jews, then Americans, then George Bush.

Evil Brain:

Oh, and have you guys heard the news?

m.aljazeera.net/?name=aj_standard_en&i=8784&guid=2011628224144784687&showonly=1

Not that this has anything to do with what we're discussing. I just thought you guys might want to hear the latest news.

When I saw the story, I thought about this thread lol. But you can't blame the teachings of Islam for the violence, it's the Jews' fault.

I wonder why the the Palestinians' arab/muslim brothers didn't allow the Palestinian refugees to immigrate to their countries after the war of 67( which they started). They'll rather keep ranting about how Israel should be wiped off the planet. Not that Im exonerating Israel, but if some clowns refuse to acknowledge my right to exist, I'll gladly build up my defences and when they pull any tricks, Ill reply ten folds.  

That's the best solution to their violence, they kill one person, kill ten of them, they blow up a house, blow up a whole block.

They call it a religion of peace but in Iran the theocratic government( the ayatollah communicates with allah grin) is quick to put down any form of protest with extreme prejudice.  Very peaceful indeed.
Re: Why Is It That Islamic Religion Is Link With Violence And Terror. by golamike: 10:42am On Jun 29, 2011
LagosShia is just a perfect example of a brain-washed muslim and i wont be surprised if he's actually a member of boko haram or any of these islamic sects(cults) terrorising d entire world. As we all know, islam is a religion of indoctrination and there's nothing anybody can do to change that.
All the teachings are forced on d adherents without them having any say in d matter. In Yoruba, islam is otherwise known as "IMOLE", meaning difficult knowledge or teachings. If it were not so, i want u to consider the ffg:
1. How will a normal human being agree to blow himself up because if he does that in d name of islam, heaven is guaranteed?
2. How will a normal human being believe that killing his neighbours because of islam would guarantee him a place in paradise?
3. How will a normal human being believe that if he dies while fighting d course of allah, a good number of virgins would welcome him in heaven?
4. How will a normal human being believe that if he dies because of islam his sins will be forgiven and will make heaven?

I think a normal human being should ask whoever orders him to blow up himself why he(the imam) has not blown up himself if d act had a reward.
Osama bin laden taught and ordered many people to kill themsleves (suicide bombing) but he didn't kill himself. Is this normal? I just pity the fools that did. Do they think Heaven is a brothel where prostitution is being encouraged? If not, why would virgins welcome you? How can ur sins be forgiven after killing a fellow human when killing is a terrible sin to commit? Why kill a man u can't create??
One fact i know is this: many of these muslims know d truth but will rather pretend because of fear of being mocked or even killed. If u ask some of their converts to Christianity, they will tell u d truth. Some said they knew what they were doing was wrong (while still muslims) but they couldn't leave because of d fear of being killed or rejected by their people.
The two crossed swords in the symbol or logo of islam is an ample proof to the "peaceful" attribute of islam. Only a fool will believe islam is a religion of peace. Anyway, i don't blame all of them as they have been brain-washed consequently turning them to fools that believe every poo some stupid imams teach them. I PITY ALL MUSLIMS!!!
Re: Why Is It That Islamic Religion Is Link With Violence And Terror. by Sweetnecta: 10:46am On Jun 29, 2011
and when the disbelievers kill, because they have no spiritual law to guide their conscience concerning death, the over kill;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlVVfh9ZNrE&NR=1

^^^^^^ this is after many muslims have been slaughtered.

america, since she had became a world leader had never declared anyone guilty without due process. then it came to Islam, everything changed.

@Martian; you need to go back to space where you come from. leave the dialogue to humans. its a human issue while you are martian/alien from space. you should watch some of the videos i posted, because you will see what you bold as fact.
Re: Why Is It That Islamic Religion Is Link With Violence And Terror. by LagosShia: 10:56am On Jun 29, 2011
Christian/Non-Muslim Violence in History

The horrible truth is that, numerically and statistically speaking, Christian Civilization is the bloodiest and most violent of all civilizations in all of history, and is responsible for hundreds of millions of deaths. Even so, Muslims will never associate this violence and blood bath with the teachings of Jesus (peace be on him).

1.) Saint Augustine’s cognite intrare (“lead them in”—i.e. “force them to convert”). In fact the Qur’an says the exact opposite: There is no compulsion in religion ( 2:256 ). Augustine’s frightening idea that all must be compelled to “conform” to the “true Christian faith” has unleashed centuries of unparalleled bloodshed. Indeed, Christians have suffered more under the rule of Christian civilization than under pre- Christian Roman rule or any other rule in history.
Millions were tortured and slaughtered in the name of Christianity during the periods of the Arian, Donatist and Albigensian heresies

2.) The Crusades
The European armies were saying, as they slaughtered both Christian and Muslim Arabs: “Kill them all, God will know his own.”

3.) Europe's Reformation and Counter Reformation Era
Two thirds of the Christian population of Europe was slaughtered by Christians

4.) The African slave trade
Claimed the lives of 10 million

5.) The Colonial Conquests
Estimates for the number of Native Americans slaughtered by the Europeans in North, Central and South America run as high as 20 million within three generations.

6.) The 20 th century's Western Civilization took warfare to new extremes
A conservative estimate puts the total number of brutal deaths in the 20 th century at more than 250 million. Of these, Muslims are responsible for less than 10 million deaths. Christians, or those coming from Christian backgrounds account for more than 200 million of these! The greatest death totals come from World War I (about 20 million, at least 90 % of which were inflicted by “Christians”) and World War II ( 90 million, at least 50% of which were inflicted by “Christians,” the majority of the rest occurring in the Far East). Given this grim history, it appears that we Europeans must all come to grips with the fact that Islamic civilization has actually been incomparably less brutal than Christian civilization. Did the Holocaust of over 6 million Jews occur out of the background of a Muslim Civilization?

7.) In the 20th century alone
Western and/or Christian powers have been responsible for at least twenty times more deaths than have Muslim powers. In this most brutal of centuries, we created incomparably more civilian casualties than have Muslims in the whole of Islamic history.

8.) In the 20th century, Rawanda, 1994
Witness the slaughter of 900,000 Rwandans in 1994 in a population that was over 90 % Christian

9.) 1992-1995 Bosnia
The genocide of over 300,000 Muslims and systematic rape of over 100,000 Muslim women by Christian Serbs

10.) Western popular culture
the idealization, and perhaps idolization, of violence that exists in Western Culture. Westerners think of themselves as peaceful, but in fact the peace-loving nature of the principles of democracy, are scarcely reflected in Western popular culture. Rather, the entire inclination of popular culture— Hollywood movies, Western television, video games, popular music and sports entertainment—is to glorify and inculcate violence. Accordingly, the relative rates of murder (especially random and serial murder) are higher in the Western World (particularly in the U.S., but even in Europe, taken as a whole) than they are in the Islamic world in counties that are not suffering civil wars, and this true despite the much greater wealth of the West.

11.) Atomic Weapons Dropped on Japan
The only country that have used a nuclear weapon is the US. they tested it in Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

12.) Nuclear Weapons
Non-Muslim countries have the highest and most sophisticated production of weapons. They have the all the nuclear warheads in the world with the exception of Pakistan which has an arms-race with rival India which went first nuclear. Are weapons produced to be used as toys or to slaughter?

13.) Israel
The Israelis have invaded and occupied fought all their neighbors and committed countless massacres. They and displaced and scattered an entire nation (Palestinians) and they pose the greatest threat in the middle east to the ordinary Arab with their nuclear weapon. They can start a war at will and commit extra-judicial killings as they wish.

14.) The Cold War
The Soviets and the Americans almost caused third-world war.

15.) The Korean War
America invaded the south while the soviet invaded the north. Thousands of lives were lost.

16.) The Vietnamese War
Again America tried and failed to invade Vietnam

17.) Iran
In the 50s the American CIA engineered, planned and executed a coup against a democratic Iranian government headed by a prime minister.

18.) Latin America
From Cuba to Grenada, Nicaragua, Panama and Bolivia America has fought in all those countries in an aim to subdue and make Latin America its “protectorate”.

19.) Somalia
American troops came in to interfere

20.) Lebanon
At a time when the Israelis were invading and committing massacres in south Lebanon and even went as far as the capital Beirut and committed the infamous Sabra and Shatillah massacre, the Americans too landed their troops in Beirut in what many Lebanese saw as an interference in Lebanese internal affairs. The Americans only withdrew just as in Vietnam and Somalia when their troops were attacked and killed by militia fighters.

21.) The Iraq-Iran War
While the war was seen as being fought by two Muslim countries one with an Islamic regime and the other with a military dictator, the war was nurtured and supported by the Americans through support for the secular military dictator Saddam Hussein.

22.) The first and second gulf war
An emboldened secularist dictator with American weapons including chemical weapons that was used against the Iranians and Kurdish rebels, Saddam Hussein marched into Kuwait in 1990 and invaded after his failure to invade Iran in the 80s. Saudi and gulf petro-dollars were pumped in and the Americans and western allies came in to beat-off their one time ally, Saddam. it all ended when the Americans finally overthrew Saddam and invaded Iraq in 2003.millions have being killed.

23.) Afghanistan
One time American/CIA trained militant against the soviets, Osama Bin Laden struck in America in 2001 which killed 3000 Americans. this prompted the Americans to invaded Afghanistan and overthrow its government. Hundreds of thousands have being killed since the American invasion of Afghanistan.
Re: Why Is It That Islamic Religion Is Link With Violence And Terror. by golamike: 11:01am On Jun 29, 2011
The following are only some of the verses in the Qur'an that can and have been used in the history of Islam in support of violence in the name of God and the glories of martyrdom in a holy war.
(@ d bolded - what a contradiction!)
2:190-193 "Fight in the cause of God those who fight you , And slay them wherever ye catch them , And fight them on until there is no more tumult or oppression and there prevail justice and faith in God , "

2:216 "Fighting is prescribed for you and ye dislike it. But it is possible that ye dislike a thing which is good for you, and that ye love a thing which is bad for you. But God knoweth and ye know not."

2:224 "Then fight in the cause of God and know that God heareth and knoweth all things."

3:157-158 "And if ye are slain or die in the way of God, forgiveness and mercy from God are far better than all they could amass. And if ye die, or are slain, Lo! It is unto God that ye are brought together."

3:169 "Think not of those who are slain in God's way as dead. Nay, they live finding their sustenance in the presence of their Lord."

3:195 ", . Those who have , fought or been slain, verily I will blot out from them their iniquities and admit them into Gardens with rivers flowing beneath; a reward from the presence of God , "

4:101 ", For the Unbelievers are unto you open enemies."

4:74, 75 "Let those fight in the cause of God who sell the life of this world for the Hereafter. To him who fighteth in the cause of God whether he is slain or gets victory, soon shall we give him a reward of great (value). Those who believe fight in the cause of God and those who reject faith fight in the cause of evil, so fight ye against the friends of Satan, feeble indeed is the cunning of Satan."

4:89 "They but wish that ye should reject faith as they do, and thus be on the same footing as they. But take not friends from their ranks until they flee in the way of God. But if they turn renegades, seize them and slay them wherever ye find them…"

4:95 "Not equal are those believers who sit at (at home) and receive no hurt and those who strive and fight in the cause of God with their goods and their persons. God hath granted a grade higher to those who strive and fight with their goods and persons than those who sit (at home).

5:36 "The punishment of those who wage war against God and His apostle and strive with might and main for mischief through the land is: execution, or crucifixion, or the cutting off of hands and feet from opposite sides, or exile from the land. That is their disgrace in this world and a heavy punishment is theirs in the Hereafter."

5:54 "O ye who believe. Take not the Jews and the Christians for your friends and protectors. They are but friends and protectors to each other. And he amongst you that turns to them (for friendship) is of them. Verily God guideth not a people unjust."

8:12-17 "Remember thy Lord inspired the angels (with the message): "I am with you. Give firmness to the believers. I will instill terror into the hearts of the unbelievers. Smite ye above their necks and smite all their finger tips off them. This because they contend against God and his apostle. If any contend against God and his apostle, God is strict in punishment , O ye who believe. When ye meet the unbelievers in hostile array, never turn your backs to them. If any do turn his back to them on such a day, unless it be a stratagem of war , he draws on himself the wrath of God and his abode is Hell, an evil refuge (indeed)."

8:59-60 "Let not the unbelievers think that they can get the better (of the godly). They will never frustrate (them). Against them make ready your strength to the utmost of your power, including steeds of war, to strike terror into (the hearts of) the enemies of God and your enemies and others besides, whom ye may not know, but whom God doth know , "

8:65 "O apostle! Rouse the believers to the fight. If there are twenty amongst you, patient and persevering, they will vanquish two hundred. If a hundred they will vanquish a thousand of the unbelievers, for these are a people without understanding."

9:5 ", fight and slay the pagans wherever ye find them, and seize them, beleaguer them, and lie in wait for them in every stratagem (of war) , "

9:14 "Fight them, and God will punish them by your hands, cover them with shame , "

9:29 "Fight those who believe not in God nor the Last Day nor hold that forbidden which hath been forbidden by God and his apostle nor acknowledge the Religion of Truth (even if they are) of the people of the Book, until they pay the Jizya [religious tax] with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued."

47:4 [b]"[b]Therefore, when ye meet the unbelievers, smite at their necks, at length when ye have thoroughly subdued them, bind a bond firmly (on them) , but if it had been God's will, he could certainly have exacted retribution from them (himself), but (he lets you fight) in order to test you, some with others. But those who are slain in the way of God, he will never let their deeds be lost."[/b][/b]

61:4 "Truly God loves those who fight in His cause in battle array, as if they were a solid cemented structure."

A simple reading of such Qur'anic passages makes it obvious how easy it is for many Muslims to feel hatred and enmity against Jews, Christians and other non-Muslims. Although, many Muslims are very fond of quoting some of the more "open-minded" and "inclusive" verses of the Qur'an, one cannot ignore the weight and impact of the above passages on a devout Muslim who wants to find and obey the will of God as found in the Qur'an. Before, we go on to other examples from prophet Muhammad himself, we need to respond to two issues that some Muslims bring up at this point.

Many have claimed that Qur'anic verses in support of fighting, were for a special historical situation concerning the beginning of Islam. They argue that since prophet Muhammad, was persecuted in Mecca for the first thirteen years of his ministry, he was justified in his military actions in the last ten years of his life in Medina and for the support of the budding Islamic movement. The problem with this reasoning is that nowhere in the Qur'an itself the above commands to fight are restricted to a special time period or against a special people group. Unlike the divine commands found in the book of Joshua in the OT, that were specific to a time, place and people group, Orthodox Muslims believe that the Qur'anic commands are universal and thus applicable for all times and places.

A second objection that one hears is that Islam is a religion of peace and war in Islam is only for self-defense. Jamal Badawi, a popular Muslim apologist, claims, "Actual armed jihad is permissible under two conditions alone: one is for self-defense, and the other is for fighting against oppression." (cited in Diana Eck, A New Religious America, HarperSanFrancisco, 2001, p. 238). Although, Badawi is quite accurate in describing the conditions of armed jihad in Islam, what he fails to say is that the definitions of "self-defense" and "fighting against oppression" are much broader than usually understood. Many Orthodox Muslims believe that if a nation's leaders do not acknowledge the rule of Islam, then those rulers are "oppressors" and thus a legitimate target for war (see John Kelsay, Islam and War, Louisville: Westminster/John Knox Press, 1993, p. 35). Many Muslims argue that America is a cultural aggressor by exporting its Hollywood values all over the world, and thus any fight against Americans is done in self-defense (see the article by Mark Galli, "Now What? A Christian response to religious terrorism," Christianity Today, Oct 22, 2001). Therefore, there is no end to how a Muslim group can define "self-defense" and "oppression" and thus find an Islamic justification for violence.
Re: Why Is It That Islamic Religion Is Link With Violence And Terror. by LagosShia: 11:12am On Jun 29, 2011
golamike:

LagosShia is just a perfect example of a brain-washed muslim and i wont be surprised if he's actually a member of boko haram or any of these islamic sects(cults) terrorising d entire world. As we all know, islam is a religion of indoctrination and there's nothing anybody can do to change that.
Keep your foolishness to yourself.
And I won’t be surprised to know that you may be paid to spread hatred and lies against islam online and on public forums.

All the teachings are forced on d adherents without them having any say in d matter. In Yoruba, islam is otherwise known as "IMOLE", meaning difficult knowledge or teachings. If it were not so, i want u to consider the ffg:
You’re really insane. You must be insane and I do not intend to offend you.

In which religion do you find adherents are giving the choice to select what they want to believe and what they do not want to believe? Or you just feel like talking the usual crap and BS?
In Islam we are taught the beliefs and they are explained very well. If you’re a lost and confused soul, I am not and the vast majority of Muslims are not.

1. How will a normal human being agree to blow himself up because if he does that in d name of islam, heaven is guaranteed?
Show me where in the Quran it says:”blow yourself up”!

2. How will a normal human being believe that killing his neighbours because of islam would guarantee him a place in paradise?
You’re just being plain rude and propagandizing deliberately to give Islam a bad image. Many do it on nairaland. infact nairaland is a platform to spread lies against Islam and it is done conveniently and routinely.

Islam teaches us to love our neighbors.our Prophet taught us that if we go to sleep while our neighbor is hungry,then we are not muslim.whoever is killing his neighbor with the hope of paradise is not practicing islam or the teachings of the Prophet Muhammad (sa).

3. How will a normal human being believe that if he dies while fighting d course of allah, a good number of virgins would welcome him in heaven?

See this:

Numbers 31:17-18
"Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him. But all the women that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves."

The above verse is a promotion of ra.pe.

4. How will a normal human being believe that if he dies because of islam his sins will be forgiven and will make heaven?
I guess you’ve never heard of “martyrs”. I’m sure you’ve heard of the term “Christian matyrs”.

I think a normal human being should ask whoever orders him to blow up himself why he(the imam) has not blown up himself if d act had a reward.
Osama bin laden taught and ordered many people to kill themsleves (suicide bombing) but he didn't kill himself. Is this normal? I just pity the fools that did. Do they think Heaven is a brothel where prostitution is being encouraged? If not, why would virgins welcome you? How can your sins be forgiven after killing a fellow human when killing is a terrible sin to commit? Why kill a man u can't create??

One fact i know is this: many of these muslims know d truth but will rather pretend because of fear of being mocked or even killed. If u ask some of their converts to Christianity, they will tell u d truth. Some said they knew what they were doing was wrong (while still muslims) but they couldn't leave because of d fear of being killed or rejected by their people.
The two crossed swords in the symbol or logo of islam is an ample proof to the "peaceful" attribute of islam. Only a fool will believe islam is a religion of peace. Anyway, i don't blame all of them as they have been brain-washed consequently turning them to fools that believe every poo some silly imams teach them. I PITY ALL MUSLIMS!!!

Pity yourself who lacks a brain to understand elementary explanations that has gone on for 8 pages in just one thread and on the same rant and accusation. You’re not normal and should best be ignored.
Re: Why Is It That Islamic Religion Is Link With Violence And Terror. by LagosShia: 11:19am On Jun 29, 2011
golamike:

The following are only some of the verses in the Qur'an that can and have been used in the history of Islam in support of violence in the name of God and the glories of martyrdom in a holy war.
(@ d bolded - what a contradiction!)
2:190-193 "Fight in the cause of God those who fight you , And slay them wherever ye catch them , And fight them on until there is no more tumult or oppression and there prevail justice and faith in God , "

2:216 "Fighting is prescribed for you and ye dislike it. But it is possible that ye dislike a thing which is good for you, and that ye love a thing which is bad for you. But God knoweth and ye know not."

2:224 "Then fight in the cause of God and know that God heareth and knoweth all things."

3:157-158 "And if ye are slain or die in the way of God, forgiveness and mercy from God are far better than all they could amass. And if ye die, or are slain, Lo! It is unto God that ye are brought together."

3:169 "Think not of those who are slain in God's way as dead. Nay, they live finding their sustenance in the presence of their Lord."

3:195 ", . Those who have , fought or been slain, verily I will blot out from them their iniquities and admit them into Gardens with rivers flowing beneath; a reward from the presence of God , "

4:74, 75 "Let those fight in the cause of God who sell the life of this world for the Hereafter. To him who fighteth in the cause of God whether he is slain or gets victory, soon shall we give him a reward of great (value). Those who believe fight in the cause of God and those who reject faith fight in the cause of evil, so fight ye against the friends of Satan, feeble indeed is the cunning of Satan."

4:89 "They but wish that ye should reject faith as they do, and thus be on the same footing as they. But take not friends from their ranks until they flee in the way of God. But if they turn renegades, seize them and slay them wherever ye find them…"

4:95 "Not equal are those believers who sit at (at home) and receive no hurt and those who strive and fight in the cause of God with their goods and their persons. God hath granted a grade higher to those who strive and fight with their goods and persons than those who sit (at home).

5:36 "The punishment of those who wage war against God and His apostle and strive with might and main for mischief through the land is: execution, or crucifixion, or the cutting off of hands and feet from opposite sides, or exile from the land. That is their disgrace in this world and a heavy punishment is theirs in the Hereafter."

5:54 "O ye who believe. Take not the Jews and the Christians for your friends and protectors. They are but friends and protectors to each other. And he amongst you that turns to them (for friendship) is of them. Verily God guideth not a people unjust."

8:12-17 "Remember thy Lord inspired the angels (with the message): "I am with you. Give firmness to the believers. I will instill terror into the hearts of the unbelievers. Smite ye above their necks and smite all their finger tips off them. This because they contend against God and his apostle. If any contend against God and his apostle, God is strict in punishment , O ye who believe. When ye meet the unbelievers in hostile array, never turn your backs to them. If any do turn his back to them on such a day, unless it be a stratagem of war , he draws on himself the wrath of God and his abode is Hell, an evil refuge (indeed)."

8:59-60 "Let not the unbelievers think that they can get the better (of the godly). They will never frustrate (them). Against them make ready your strength to the utmost of your power, including steeds of war, to strike terror into (the hearts of) the enemies of God and your enemies and others besides, whom ye may not know, but whom God doth know , "

8:65 "O apostle! Rouse the believers to the fight. If there are twenty amongst you, patient and persevering, they will vanquish two hundred. If a hundred they will vanquish a thousand of the unbelievers, for these are a people without understanding."

9:5 ", fight and slay the pagans wherever ye find them, and seize them, beleaguer them, and lie in wait for them in every stratagem (of war) , "

9:14 "Fight them, and God will punish them by your hands, cover them with shame , "

9:29 "Fight those who believe not in God nor the Last Day nor hold that forbidden which hath been forbidden by God and his apostle nor acknowledge the Religion of Truth (even if they are) of the people of the Book, until they pay the Jizya [religious tax] with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued."

47:4 [b]"[b]Therefore, when ye meet the unbelievers, smite at their necks, at length when ye have thoroughly subdued them, bind a bond firmly (on them) , but if it had been God's will, he could certainly have exacted retribution from them (himself), but (he lets you fight) in order to test you, some with others. But those who are slain in the way of God, he will never let their deeds be lost."[/b][/b]

61:4 "Truly God loves those who fight in His cause in battle array, as if they were a solid cemented structure."

A simple reading of such Qur'anic passages makes it obvious how easy it is for many Muslims to feel hatred and enmity against Jews, Christians and other non-Muslims. Although, many Muslims are very fond of quoting some of the more "open-minded" and "inclusive" verses of the Qur'an, one cannot ignore the weight and impact of the above passages on a devout Muslim who wants to find and obey the will of God as found in the Qur'an. Before, we go on to other examples from prophet Muhammad himself, we need to respond to two issues that some Muslims bring up at this point.

Many have claimed that Qur'anic verses in support of fighting, were for a special historical situation concerning the beginning of Islam. They argue that since prophet Muhammad, was persecuted in Mecca for the first thirteen years of his ministry, he was justified in his military actions in the last ten years of his life in Medina and for the support of the budding Islamic movement. The problem with this reasoning is that nowhere in the Qur'an itself the above commands to fight are restricted to a special time period or against a special people group. Unlike the divine commands found in the book of Joshua in the OT, that were specific to a time, place and people group, Orthodox Muslims believe that the Qur'anic commands are universal and thus applicable for all times and places.

A second objection that one hears is that Islam is a religion of peace and war in Islam is only for self-defense. Jamal Badawi, a popular Muslim apologist, claims, "Actual armed jihad is permissible under two conditions alone: one is for self-defense, and the other is for fighting against oppression." (cited in Diana Eck, A New Religious America, HarperSanFrancisco, 2001, p. 238). Although, Badawi is quite accurate in describing the conditions of armed jihad in Islam, what he fails to say is that the definitions of "self-defense" and "fighting against oppression" are much broader than usually understood. Many Orthodox Muslims believe that if a nation's leaders do not acknowledge the rule of Islam, then those rulers are "oppressors" and thus a legitimate target for war (see John Kelsay, Islam and War, Louisville: Westminster/John Knox Press, 1993, p. 35). Many Muslims argue that America is a cultural aggressor by exporting its Hollywood values all over the world, and thus any fight against Americans is done in self-defense (see the article by Mark Galli, "Now What? A Christian response to religious terrorism," Christianity Today, Oct 22, 2001). Therefore, there is no end to how a Muslim group can define "self-defense" and "oppression" and thus find an Islamic justification for violence.

Holy Quran 2:190-193
Fight in the way of Allah against those who fight against you, but begin not hostilities. Lo! Allah loveth not aggressors. (190) And slay them wherever ye find them, and drive them out of the places whence they drove you out, for persecution is worse than slaughter. And fight not with them at the Inviolable Place of Worship until they first attack you there, but if they attack you (there) then slay them. Such is the reward of disbelievers. (191) But if they desist, then lo! Allah is Forgiving, Merciful. (192) And fight them until persecution is no more, and religion is for Allah. But if they desist, then let there be no hostility except against wrong-doers.
Re: Why Is It That Islamic Religion Is Link With Violence And Terror. by LagosShia: 11:32am On Jun 29, 2011
Martian:

I wonder why the the Palestinians' arab/muslim brothers didn't allow the Palestinian refugees to immigrate to their countries after the war of 67( which they started). They'll rather keep ranting about how Israel should be wiped off the planet. Not that Im exonerating Israel, but if some clowns refuse to acknowledge my right to exist, I'll gladly build up my defences and when they pull any tricks, Ill reply ten folds. 
Your right to exist should not be at the expense of the other’s right to existence.today while the jews have a country and Israel stands,the Palestinians have no country or place to call home.after all the killings of palestinians and grabbing their land and displacing them,israel is campaigning even right now as i type to block UN members from recognizing an independent palestinian state in september 2011 on the tiny territories of the west bank and gaza.so why is Israel afraid for its existence, is because it started out by wiping out another nation into virtual non-existence.so definitely a people that start out with genocide and ethnic-cleansing against Palestinians have everything to fear in this world.your logic is twisted.you have a thief who has stolen a car and is himself afraid the car would be stolen from him.while there is the owner of the car from whom the theif stole is being persecuted because he wants back his car.why should Palestinians be resettled in other countries?they have their land.they should go back home.would you allow Nigerians to be settled in Tanzania or Ghana because “martians” have invaded Nigeria?

That's the best solution to their violence, they kill one person, kill ten of them, they blow up a house, blow up a whole block.
It was not the muslims who started the violence.your words stand as evidence in this thread as to who is violent and even going to the extent of calling for the bloodshed of muslims.and the same you would complain about boko haram and boko that!

They call it a religion of peace but in Iran the theocratic government( the ayatollah communicates with allah grin) is quick to put down any form of protest with extreme prejudice.  Very peaceful indeed.
Do you know that the American CIA have engineered a coup and overthrew a democratic government in iran in the 50s? the government of iran knows well that such protests may start peaceful and the people have a right to protest.but they know that such peaceful and small protests can be hijacked by outside powers to get back at iran.the fact remains that the majority of Iranians voted in a referendum for an Islamic regime.and after 32 years today the government is still supported by a majority even though there is a sizeable minority that is against the president.that still does not mean that that minority is against the islamic regime or the islamic system of governance.the leader of the opposition known as Mir Hussain Musawi was one of those who spare-headed the Islamic revolution in iran and was a right-hand man of Ayatollah Khomeini.so the issue in iran is a “family issue” or if you like call it “brotherly dispute”.
Re: Why Is It That Islamic Religion Is Link With Violence And Terror. by prodam(m): 11:36am On Jun 29, 2011
golamike:

Osama bin laden taught and ordered many people to kill themsleves (suicide bombing) but he didn't kill himself. Is this normal? I just pity the fools that did. Do they think Heaven is a brothel where prostitution is being encouraged? If not, why would virgins welcome you? How can your sins be forgiven after killing a fellow human when killing is a terrible sin to commit? Why kill a man u can't create??
The two crossed swords in the symbol or logo of islam is an ample proof to the "peaceful" attribute of islam. Only a fool will believe islam is a religion of peace. Anyway, i don't blame all of them as they have been brain-washed consequently turning them to fools that believe every poo some silly imams teach them. I PITY ALL MUSLIMS!!!

ur submission?
Re: Why Is It That Islamic Religion Is Link With Violence And Terror. by Sagamite(m): 11:41am On Jun 29, 2011
Akanbi_edu:

Sagamite, you better pass this one na.

So if person A kills 1000 in the name of religion and B kills 100000 in other names (money, state, etc). Then A gives you more headache?

Killing should be treated as killing no matter what. It must be seen as a common threat to humanity.

In history, people have always killed for a reason, and they normally rationalize it one way or the other. It doesn't make one better than the other. Because these judgements are subjective. Lets not fall for cheap propaganda.

Bruv, killing is not really killing.

If you kill me in a conflict while we are fighting, it is not the same as if you kill me in my sleep.

No doubt, some of the killing you claim is for money, state etc is true but a lot of it is propagandish conjecture. Syria is there slaughtering its people now, if the West intervenes they will say it is war against Islam and Alfas will spread it and some mugu muslims will buy it and come and vomit it on NL as part of their catalogue of "Xtains attacking and killing muslims".

On the other hand, it is mostly as clear as day when people kill as a religious duty.

To me, all these EIDs killing Western soldiers is not terrorism, it is justifiable means of war. But when you go into a Mumbia train station and slaughter people as a religious duty, shouting Allahu Akbar, it is not the same as a collateral killing when a bomb is dropped in a village.
Re: Why Is It That Islamic Religion Is Link With Violence And Terror. by LagosShia: 11:52am On Jun 29, 2011
Sagamite:

Bruv, killing is not really killing.

If you kill me in a conflict while we are fighting, it is not the same as if you kill me in my sleep.
So what basically you’re saying those that are strong enough to start wars are justified in killing.while those that play “hide and seek” to carry out retaliatory attacks are not justified.like I have said you have to differeniate between legitimate self-defense and terrorism.when you can differeniate,then you have a right to oppose those muslims who carry out senseless killings as I also oppose them.try that and you will see muslims in a different image.

No doubt, some of the killing you claim is for money, state etc is through but a lot of it is propagandish conjecture. Syria is there slaughtering its people now, if the West intervenes they will say it is war against Islam and alfas will spread it and some mugu muslims will buy it and come and vomit it on NL as part of their catalogue of "Xtains attacking and killing muslims".

You know very well that the west will only intervene where its interests are.in Libya,they attacked gaddafi and froze all the money he kept in western banks.all the money that gaddafi embezzled from Libya and deprived his people of are now being used and enjoyed by the west and their economies will boom while Libyans are suffering.this is a problem with African and arab leaders.they steal from their countries and smuggle the money for the west to use it.those leaders cannot in their lifetime spend the money they steal.they are practically stealing and smuggling the money to the benefit of the Europeans and Americans.since they cannot spend the money in their lifetime,I want to plea with African leaders in particular to please keep their money in African banks after they steal.that way our economy will grow.

In Syria,they know very well that the overthrow of the regime will cause trouble for Israel.syria is at israel’s border.and from my understanding,there is a sectarian undertone in Syria.i learnt that the Syrian president is not sunni and Syria is a majority sunni country.i also read that the “alfas” you’re mentioning from the salafists are the ones campaigning hard to overthrow the Syrian president.also,the young and secular syrian president has a strong popular base in syria.Even though the Syrian president is also anti-israel,the Israelis and the west see it as “the devil you know is better than the angel you don’t know”.
Re: Why Is It That Islamic Religion Is Link With Violence And Terror. by MORPHYLEE: 12:12pm On Jun 29, 2011
Thank you.
I have not see it so far where it is said in the Koran to be violence.Islam teach us that we cannot know you as a true believer until those good things you want for yourself you want it for others.Each religion has to do with individual trait,background and norms. Let us all check our post and to hold to the fact when defending our religion.I treat others the way i want to be treated.This was last statement from all the Imams every Friday so any one that go in contrary to it is not a true Muslims.Boko haram are using Islam to cover up they have not state there Mission.And they are not true Muslim.
Re: Why Is It That Islamic Religion Is Link With Violence And Terror. by Sagamite(m): 12:31pm On Jun 29, 2011
LagosShia:

So what basically you’re saying those that are strong enough to start wars are justified in killing.while those that play “hide and seek” to carry out retaliatory attacks are not justified.like I have said you have to differeniate between legitimate self-defense and terrorism.when you can differeniate,then you have a right to oppose those muslims who carry out senseless killings as I also oppose them.try that and you will see muslims in a different image.

You know very well that the west will only intervene where its interests are.in Libya,they attacked gaddafi and froze all the money he kept in western banks.all the money that gaddafi embezzled from Libya and deprived his people of are now being used and enjoyed by the west and their economies will boom while Libyans are suffering.this is a problem with African and arab leaders.they steal from their countries and smuggle the money for the west to use it.those leaders cannot in their lifetime spend the money they steal.they are practically stealing and smuggling the money to the benefit of the Europeans and Americans.since they cannot spend the money in their lifetime,I want to plea with African leaders in particular to please keep their money in African banks after they steal.that way our economy will grow.

In Syria,they know very well that the overthrow of the regime will cause trouble for Israel.syria is at israel’s border.and from my understanding,there is a sectarian undertone in Syria.i learnt that the Syrian president is not sunni and Syria is a majority sunni country.i also read that the “alfas” you’re mentioning from the salafists are the ones campaigning hard to overthrow the Syrian president.also,the young and secular  syrian president has a strong popular base in syria.Even though the Syrian president is also anti-israel,the Israelis and the west see it as “the devil you know is better than the angel you don’t know”.

Oh, shut up, Terrorist!

Believe me, I didn't even read A WORD of this. I just saw it was you and gave an apt response.
Re: Why Is It That Islamic Religion Is Link With Violence And Terror. by golamike: 12:43pm On Jun 29, 2011
LagosShia:

Keep your foolishness to yourself.
And I won’t be surprised to know that you may be paid to spread hatred and lies against islam online and on public forums.
You’re really insane. You must be insane and I do not intend to offend you.

In which religion do you find adherents are giving the choice to select what they want to believe and what they do not want to believe? Or you just feel like talking the usual crap and BS?
In Islam we are taught the beliefs and they are explained very well. If you’re a lost and confused soul, I am not and the vast majority of Muslims are not.
Show me where in the Quran it says:”blow yourself up”!
You’re just being plain rude and propagandizing deliberately to give Islam a bad image. Many do it on nairaland. infact nairaland is a platform to spread lies against Islam and it is done conveniently and routinely.

Islam teaches us to love our neighbors.our Prophet taught us that if we go to sleep while our neighbor is hungry,then we are not muslim.whoever is killing his neighbor with the hope of paradise is not practicing islam or the teachings of the Prophet Muhammad (sa).

See this:

Numbers 31:17-18
"Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman that hath known man by lying with him. But all the women that have not known a man by lying with him, keep alive for yourselves."

The above verse is a promotion of ra.pe.
I guess you’ve never heard of “martyrs”. I’m sure you’ve heard of the term “Christian matyrs”.

Pity yourself who lacks a brain to understand elementary explanations that has gone on for 8 pages in just one thread and on the same rant and accusation. You’re not normal and should best be ignored.

LagosShia you have not answered my questions all u did was insult me. I'm not surprised 'cos that's what u people (muslims) know how to do best, lol. What has Numbers 31:17-18 got to do with virgins welcoming a suicide bomber or a jihadist to heaven? For ur information, the teachings of Christianity are not rigid as urs. They are not forced on us, u can study a particular verse and have five or more interpretations to it. Furthermore, as a Christian u don't have to believe everything, that's what differentiates us from u people. Even the Bible admonishes us to test all spirits and prophets and confirm that which is true (1 John 4:1). That a pastor tells u something doesn't mean u should take it just d way u're told. U can go study d word of God yourself and have a clearer or better interpretation to it. We are humans, not robots, as such we can reason. That's why we have bible study in every church where we study (deliberate and ask questions). We share opinions and arrive at a meaningful conclusion through the help of the Holy Spirit. The word of God should not be taught with force.

According to you "whoever is killing his neighbor with the hope of paradise is not practicing islam or the teachings of the Prophet Muhammad", now tell me if ur qu'ran is different from the ones ur brothers (northern muslims/almajiris, al-qaeda and boko haram) read.  I also quoted some qu'ranic verses to prove what i've been saying but u averted d truth by quickly quoting other verses from d same book. Are u telling me d qu'ran contradicts itself? The same qu'ran that encourages u to kill an unbeliever (anyone who's not a muslim) also tells u to love ur neighbour (or is "ur neighbour" exclusive to muslims alone?)  Ridiculous!
Even if that is d case, why didn't u and ur brothers embrace d peaceful aspect? There's nothing u can say to convince d world that u people are peaceful, nothing would suffice. We all know d truth, it is very glaring and it's happening all over the world; islam is evil and cruel!

Re: Why Is It That Islamic Religion Is Link With Violence And Terror. by golamike: 12:47pm On Jun 29, 2011
LagosShia you have not answered my questions all u did was insult me. I'm not surprised 'cos that's what u people (muslims) know how to do best, lol. What has Numbers 31:17-18 got to do with virgins welcoming a suicide bomber or a jihadist to heaven? For your information, the teachings of Christianity are not rigid as urs. They are not forced on us, u can study a particular verse and have five or more interpretations to it. Furthermore, as a Christian u don't have to believe everything, that's what differentiates us from u people. Even the Bible admonishes us to test all spirits and prophets and confirm that which is true (1 John 4:1). That a pastor tells u something doesn't mean u should take it just d way u're told. U can go study d word of God yourself and have a clearer or better interpretation to it. We are humans, not robots, as such we can reason. That's why we have bible study in every church where we study (deliberate and ask questions). We share opinions and arrive at a meaningful conclusion through the help of the Holy Spirit. The word of God should not be taught with force.

According to you "whoever is killing his neighbor with the hope of paradise is not practicing islam or the teachings of the Prophet Muhammad", now tell me if your qu'ran is different from the ones your brothers (northern muslims/almajiris, al-qaeda and boko haram) read. I also quoted some qu'ranic verses to prove what i've been saying but u averted d truth by quickly quoting other verses from d same book. Are u telling me d qu'ran contradicts itself? The same qu'ran that encourages u to kill an unbeliever (anyone who's not a muslim) also tells u to love your neighbour (or is "your neighbour" exclusive to muslims alone?) Ridiculous!
Even if that is d case, why didn't u and your brothers embrace d peaceful aspect? There's nothing u can say to convince d world that u people are peaceful, nothing would suffice. We all know d truth, it is very glaring and it's happening all over the world; islam is evil and cruel!
Re: Why Is It That Islamic Religion Is Link With Violence And Terror. by LagosShia: 12:53pm On Jun 29, 2011
Sagamite:

Oh, shut up, Terrorist!

[size=16pt]Believe me, I didn't even read A WORD of this. I just saw it was you and gave an apt response.[/size]

good to know you dont read.
Re: Why Is It That Islamic Religion Is Link With Violence And Terror. by LagosShia: 12:56pm On Jun 29, 2011
golamike:

LagosShia you have not answered my questions all u did was insult me. I'm not surprised 'cos that's what u people (muslims) know how to do best, lol. What has Numbers 31:17-18 got to do with virgins welcoming a suicide bomber or a jihadist to heaven? For your information, the teachings of Christianity are not rigid as urs. They are not forced on us, u can study a particular verse and have five or more interpretations to it. Furthermore, as a Christian u don't have to believe everything, that's what differentiates us from u people. Even the Bible admonishes us to test all spirits and prophets and confirm that which is true (1 John 4:1). That a pastor tells u something doesn't mean u should take it just d way u're told. U can go study d word of God yourself and have a clearer or better interpretation to it. We are humans, not robots, as such we can reason. That's why we have bible study in every church where we study (deliberate and ask questions). We share opinions and arrive at a meaningful conclusion through the help of the Holy Spirit. The word of God should not be taught with force.

According to you "whoever is killing his neighbor with the hope of paradise is not practicing islam or the teachings of the Prophet Muhammad", now tell me if your qu'ran is different from the ones your brothers (northern muslims/almajiris, al-qaeda and boko haram) read. I also quoted some qu'ranic verses to prove what i've been saying but u averted d truth by quickly quoting other verses from d same book. Are u telling me d qu'ran contradicts itself? The same qu'ran that encourages u to kill an unbeliever (anyone who's not a muslim) also tells u to love your neighbour (or is "your neighbour" exclusive to muslims alone?) Ridiculous!
Even if that is d case, why didn't u and your brothers embrace d peaceful aspect? There's nothing u can say to convince d world that u people are peaceful, nothing would suffice. We all know d truth, it is very glaring and it's happening all over the world; islam is evil and cruel!

if you can present me a single verse from the Quran which says we should kill our neighbors,i will change my mind of you that you're a confused and lost soul.
Re: Why Is It That Islamic Religion Is Link With Violence And Terror. by Sagamite(m): 1:04pm On Jun 29, 2011
LagosShia:

good to know you dont read.

I don't negotiate with Terrorists!
Re: Why Is It That Islamic Religion Is Link With Violence And Terror. by LagosShia: 1:10pm On Jun 29, 2011

[size=18pt]Cost of US wars since 9/11? At least $3.7 trillion, study finds [/size]

224,000 people have died directly from warfare and 7.8 million people have been displaced

Reuters.NEW YORK — When President Barack Obama cited cost as a reason to bring troops home from Afghanistan, he referred to a $1 trillion price tag for America's wars.

, Staggering as it is, that figure grossly underestimates the total cost of wars in Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan to the U.S. Treasury and ignores more imposing costs yet to come, according to a study released Wednesday.

The final bill will reach at least $3.7 trillion and could be as high as $4.4 trillion, according to the research project "Costs of War" by Brown University's Watson Institute for International Studies.

In the 10 years since U.S. troops went into Afghanistan to root out the al-Qaida leaders behind the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, spending on the conflicts totaled $2.3 trillion to $2.7 trillion.

Those numbers will continue to soar when considering often overlooked costs such as long-term obligations to wounded veterans and projected war spending from 2012 through 2020.

The estimates do not include at least $1 trillion more in interest payments coming due and many billions more in expenses that cannot be counted, according to the study.

Story: 'Everybody was shooting': 18 die in Kabul hotel attack
In human terms, 224,000 to 258,000 people have died directly from warfare, including 125,000 civilians in Iraq.

Many more have died indirectly, from the loss of clean drinking water, healthcare, and nutrition. An additional 365,000 have been wounded and 7.8 million people — equal to the combined population of Connecticut and Kentucky — have been displaced.

"Costs of War" brought together more than 20 academics to uncover the expense of war in lives and dollars, a daunting task given

the inconsistent recording of lives lost and what the report called opaque and sloppy accounting by the U.S. Congress and the Pentagon.

The report underlines the extent to which war will continue to stretch the U.S. federal budget, which is already on an unsustainable course due to an aging American population and skyrocketing healthcare costs.

It also raises the question of what the United States gained from its multi-trillion-dollar investment.

"I hope that when we look back, whenever this ends, something very good has come out of it," Senator Bob Corker, a Republican from Tennessee, told Reuters in Washington.

In one sense, the report measures the cost of 9/11, the American shorthand for the events of Sept. 11, 2001.

Nineteen hijackers plus other al-Qaida plotters spent an estimated $400,000 to $500,000 on the plane attacks that killed 2,995 people and caused $50 billion to $100 billion in economic damages.

What followed were three wars in which $50 billion amounts to a rounding error. For every person killed on Sept. 11, another 73 have been killed since.

'Rigorous assessment'
Was it worth it? That is a question many people want answered, said Catherine Lutz, head of the anthropology department at Brown and co-director of the study.

"We decided we needed to do this kind of rigorous assessment of what it cost to make those choices to go to war," she said. "Politicians, we assumed, were not going to do that kind of assessment."

The report arrives as Congress debates how to cut a U.S. deficit projected at $1.4 trillion this year, roughly a 10th of which can be attributed to direct war spending.

What did the United States gain for its trillions?
Strategically, the results for the United States are mixed.

Osama bin Laden and Saddam Hussein are dead, but Iraq and Afghanistan are far from stable democracies. Iran has gained influence in the Gulf and the Taliban, though ousted from government, remain a viable military force in Afghanistan.

"The United States has been extremely successful in protecting the homeland," said George Friedman, founder of STRATFOR, a U.S.-based intelligence company.

"Al-Qaida in Afghanistan was capable of mounting very sophisticated, complex, operations on an intercontinental basis. That organization with that capability has not only been substantially reduced, it seems to have been shattered," Friedman said.

Economically, the results are also mixed. War spending may be adding half a percentage point a year to growth in the gross domestic product but that has been more than offset by the negative effects of deficit spending, the report concludes.

Some U.S. government reports have attempted to assess the costs of war, notably a March 2011 Congressional Research Service report that estimated post-Sept. 11 war funding at $1.4 trillion through 2012.
The Congressional Budget Office projected war costs through 2021 at $1.8 trillion.

A ground-breaking private estimate was published in the 2008 book "The Three Trillion Dollar War," by Linda Bilmes, a member of the Watson Institute team, and Nobel-winning economist Joseph Stiglitz.

That work revealed how much cost was added by interest on deficit spending and medical care for veterans.

The report draws on those sources and pieces together many others for a more comprehensive picture.

The report also makes special note of Pakistan, a front not generally mentioned along with Iraq and Afghanistan. War has probably killed more people in Pakistan than in neighboring Afghanistan, the report concludes.

Politicians throughout history have underestimated the costs of war, believing they will be shorter and less deadly than reality, said Neta Crawford, the other co-director of the report and a political science professor at Boston University.

The report said former President George W. Bush's administration was "shamelessly politically driven" in underestimating Iraq war costs before the 2003 invasion.

Most official sources continue to overlook costs, largely because of a focus on just Pentagon spending, Crawford said.

"Over the last decade, we have spent a trillion dollars on war," Obama said in last week's speech on reducing U.S. troop levels in Afghanistan .

At the very least, he was rounding down by $200 billion to $300 billion, when counting U.S. congressional appropriations for the post-9/11 wars.
"I don't know what the president knows, but I wish it were a trillion," Crawford said. "It would be better if it
were a trillion."
Complicated process

In theory, adding up the dollars spent and lives lost should be a statistical errand. The U.S. Congress appropriates the money, and a life lost on battlefield should have a death certificate and a casket to match.

The team quickly discovered, however, the task was far more complicated.

Specific war spending over the past 10 years, when expressed in 2011 dollars, comes to $1.3 trillion, the "Costs of War" project found. When it comes to accounting for every dollar, that $1.3 trillion is merely a good start.

Since the wars have been financed by deficit spending, interest must be paid — $185 billion of accumulated so far.

The Pentagon has received an additional $326 billion to $652 billion beyond what can be attributed to the war appropriations, the study found.

Homeland security spending has totaled another $401 billion so far that can be traced to Sept. 11. War-related foreign aid: another $74 billion.

Then comes caring for U.S. veterans of war. Nearly half of the 1.25 million who have served in uniform in Iraq and Afghanistan have used their status as veterans to make health or disability claims at an expense of $32.6 billion to date.

Those costs will soar over the next 40 years as veterans age. The report estimates the U.S. obligations to the veterans will reach $589 billion to $934 billion through 2050.

So far, those numbers add up to a low estimate of $2.9 trillion and a moderate estimate of $3.6 trillion in costs to the U.S. Treasury. No high estimate was offered.

"We feel a conservative measure of costs is plenty large to attract attention," said report
contributor Ryan Edwards, an economist who studied the war impact on deficit spending.

Those numbers leave out hundreds of billions in social costs not born by the U.S. taxpayer but by veterans and their families: another $295 billion to $400 billion, increasing the range of costs to date to some $3.2 trillion to $4 trillion.

That's a running total through fiscal 2011. Add another $453 billion in war-related spending projected for 2012 to 2020 and the total grows to $3.668 trillion to $4.444 trillion.
If the financial costs are elusive, so too is the human toll.

The report estimates between 224,475 and 257,655 have been killed in Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan, though those numbers give a false sense of precision. There are many sources of data on civilian deaths, most with different results.

The civilian death toll in Iraq — 125,000 — and the number of Saddam's security forces killed in invasion — 10,000 — are loose estimates. The U.S. military does not publish a thorough accounting.

"We don't do body counts," Tommy Franks, the U.S. commander in Iraq, famously said after the fall of Saddam in 2003.

In Afghanistan, the civilian death count ranges from 11,700 to 13,900.

For Pakistan, where there is little access to the battlefield and the United States fights mostly through aerial drone attacks, the study found it impossible to distinguish between civilian and insurgent deaths.

The numbers only consider direct deaths — people killed by bombs or bullets. Estimates for indirect deaths in war vary so much that researchers considered them too arbitrary to report.

"When the fighting stops, the indirect dying continues. It's in fact worse than land mines. The healthcare system is still in bad shape. People are still suffering the effects of malnutrition and so on," Crawford said.

Even where the United States does do body counts — for the members of the military — the numbers may come up short of reality, said Lutz, the study's co-director. When veterans return home, they are more likely to die in suicides and automobile accidents.
"The rate of chaotic behavior," she said, "is high."
Copyright 2011 Thomson Reuters.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43573008/
Re: Why Is It That Islamic Religion Is Link With Violence And Terror. by LagosShia: 1:12pm On Jun 29, 2011
Sagamite:

I don't negotiate with Terrorists!

if you dont negotiate with terrorists,8 pages of dialogue is enough to vindicate me from being a terrorist.yesterday you were even begging me to reply to your post,after calling it a day grin
Re: Why Is It That Islamic Religion Is Link With Violence And Terror. by vedaxcool(m): 1:43pm On Jun 29, 2011
Guy bush was refered to as a born again president his fundamentalism was d chief course of wars in iraq and afganistan often it was christian fundamentalist group. Agenda which he followed¤again d crusader mentality of dis fundamentalist dat makes the isreali palestien conflict unresolvable because of their interpretation of d bible which requires the jews to return to isreali hoping the armeggadon will comence from there so get your facts right most of those who protested against the war were liberal christians who think homo s h I t is acceptable
Re: Why Is It That Islamic Religion Is Link With Violence And Terror. by Sagamite(m): 1:55pm On Jun 29, 2011
LagosShia:

if you dont negotiate with terrorists,8 pages of dialogue is enough to vindicate me from being a terrorist.yesterday you were even begging me to reply to your post,after calling it a day grin

Once I realised you and Sweetnecta are sleeper-cells and local branch of Al-qaeda, no need for any more reasoning, just precision bombs and Navy Seals operations.
Re: Why Is It That Islamic Religion Is Link With Violence And Terror. by madprof(m): 2:22pm On Jun 29, 2011
This is hardly surprising.
Re: Why Is It That Islamic Religion Is Link With Violence And Terror. by golamike: 2:30pm On Jun 29, 2011
LagosShia:

if you can present me a single verse from the Quran which says we should kill our neighbors,i will change my mind of you that you're a confused and lost soul.

LagosShia i had done that before just that u didn't read before replying me!
Nevertheless, i will do that again for the sake of proving a point:

The following are only some of the verses in the Qur'an that can and have been used in the history of Islam in support of violence in the name of God and the glories of martyrdom in a holy war:

5:54 "O ye who believe. [b]Take not the Jews and the Christians for your friends and protectors. They are but friends and protectors to each other. And he amongst you that turns to them (for friendship) is of them. Verily God guideth not a people unjust."

[/b]

47:4 "Therefore, when ye meet the unbelievers, smite at their necks, at length when ye have thoroughly subdued them, bind a bond firmly (on them) , but if it had been God's will, he could certainly have exacted retribution from them (himself), but (he lets you fight) in order to test you, some with others. But those who are slain in the way of God, he will never let their deeds be lost."

These are few of the verses that preach violence against ur neighbours in d qu'ran. Ur prophet  brain-washed all of u that anyone that practises a different religion is an unbeliever and not fit to live. We on the other hand see every human as Gods' creature and we treat everyone as our neighbour and family (regardless of their religion). This is well explained by the parable of the good Samaritan (Luke 10:25-37).
The truth that u stubborn people refuse to accept is that everybody cannot be a muslim. Not when there's nothing attractive about the cult (sorry religion). I know i have been able to answer ur question, although i'm certain u will still attack me because that's ur way.
Re: Why Is It That Islamic Religion Is Link With Violence And Terror. by golamike: 2:40pm On Jun 29, 2011
Sagamite:

Once I realised you and Sweetnecta are sleeper-cells and local branch of Al-qaeda, no need for any more reasoning, just precision bombs and Navy Seals operations.

lol, u just made my day with this comment. Leave them with their ignorance.
Re: Why Is It That Islamic Religion Is Link With Violence And Terror. by LagosShia: 2:49pm On Jun 29, 2011
@golamike,

in all the verses you presented i cannot read one verse that says:"kill your neighbors".

in all the verses you presented,are cases whereby those people declared hostilities toward the muslims.

those mentioned in those verses refer to particular men from those respective communities mentioned.

in that vain,let me back up what i am saying with a verse:

“Verily, you will find the strongest among men in enmity to the believers (Muslims) the Jews and those who are Al-Mushrikoon, and you will find the nearest in love to the believers (Muslims) those who say: ‘We are Christians’”
[5:82]

when we muslims apply the Quran we apply it collectively.there are christians who fall among enemies of Muslims and have committed attrocities and therefore we fight and not befriend those who are hostile to us.and there are those who are friendly.these verses refer to particular groups of christians and jews in the early days of islam and these verses can still serve us as examples.that is why when dealing with christians and jews or anyone at all,we apply the Quran collectively and take these into consideration:

[60:8]  God forbids you not, with regard to those who fight you not for (your) Faith nor drive you out of your homes, from dealing kindly and justly with them: for God loveth those who are just.

[60:9]  God only forbids you, with regard to those who fight you for (your) Faith, and drive you out of your homes, and support (others) in driving you out, from turning to them (for friendship and protection). It is such as turn to them (in these circumstances), that do wrong.

unlike the bible,the Quran was brought by one man from One Source.it was written within a particular period and not over centuries by many different men that you dont know.
Re: Why Is It That Islamic Religion Is Link With Violence And Terror. by LagosShia: 2:59pm On Jun 29, 2011
Sagamite:

go back to your sagamu hut.senseless man.as if those bombs cannot be turned against you the way our ancestors were enslaved and our countries are still dominated and under western hegemony.
Re: Why Is It That Islamic Religion Is Link With Violence And Terror. by Nobody: 3:28pm On Jun 29, 2011
smh.
lagosshia, i answered your questions and came back to expect a response, but all i see are pages and pages of your cut and paste debate tactics. that is not how you debate. you make a point, provide evidence, then conclude. you don't just go and pull scripture left right center, ESPECIALLY when you don't provide the context.
anyway, the rest of you carry on. this debate is just spiraling downward.
safe.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

6 Nigerians Among Crane Crash Victims / A Chinese Emperor's Poem About Prophet Muhammad (SAW) / Can A Muslimah Touch A Man She Is Bethrothed To?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 250
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.