Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,456 members, 7,816,053 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:17 AM

Milky Stuff On My Engine Dipstick- What Does This Mean - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Milky Stuff On My Engine Dipstick- What Does This Mean (2025 Views)

Help! My Mechanic Changed Engine Oil Through Dipstick. / Please What Does This Alert Light On My Dash Board Mean? / My Engine Goes Off When A/C Is Switched On (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Milky Stuff On My Engine Dipstick- What Does This Mean by ahmedio: 11:02am On Jan 22, 2022
I have been seeing some milky stuff whenever I check my engine oil. On the dipstick. And I also noticed the radiator water keeps drying up everyday and I have to put water DAILY. It’s a 2005 Nissan Xtrail. My mechanic has not been able to find a solution so I was hoping people with experience can shed more light.

1 Share

Re: Milky Stuff On My Engine Dipstick- What Does This Mean by Dozieson(m): 11:09am On Jan 22, 2022
ahmedio:
I have been seeing some milky stuff whenever I check my engine oil. On the dipstick. And I also noticed the radiator water keeps drying up everyday and I have to put water DAILY. It’s a 2005 Nissan Xtrail. My mechanic has not been able to find a solution so I was hoping people with experience can shed more light.

Water is entering your car engine through the top gasket. It is either the top gasket is blown or car engine top is warp. Either way you need to take it to the mechanic to avoid engine damage

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Milky Stuff On My Engine Dipstick- What Does This Mean by ahmedio: 11:29am On Jan 22, 2022
That is scary. I’m scared of opening engine. I’ve heard of how overheating problem usually starts after changing gasket.
Re: Milky Stuff On My Engine Dipstick- What Does This Mean by Dozieson(m): 12:11pm On Jan 22, 2022
ahmedio:
That is scary. I’m scared of opening engine. I’ve heard of how overheating problem usually starts after changing gasket.

The water shortage of your radiator will eventually cause overheating.

When did you start noticing this? How long have you used the car? Did you buy Nigeria used or toks?
Re: Milky Stuff On My Engine Dipstick- What Does This Mean by slimmoney(m): 4:37pm On Jan 22, 2022
top gasket don burn, and if u are unlucky the top cylinder might be warped, ur mechanic will need to change the gasket and resurface the warped top cylinder.

1 Like

Re: Milky Stuff On My Engine Dipstick- What Does This Mean by ahmedio: 4:56pm On Jan 22, 2022
Dozieson:

The water shortage of your radiator will eventually cause overheating.

When did you start noticing this? How long have you used the car? Did you buy Nigeria used or toks?

I bought toks in May 2018. I started noticing it around September 2020. The mechanic said I should change the radiator to double cell which I did but it’s becoming worse by the day
Re: Milky Stuff On My Engine Dipstick- What Does This Mean by Dozieson(m): 5:02pm On Jan 22, 2022
ahmedio:

I bought toks in May 2018. I started noticing it around September 2020. The mechanic said I should change the radiator to double cell which I did but it’s becoming worse by the day

Okay. Do you have any overheating history?
Re: Milky Stuff On My Engine Dipstick- What Does This Mean by ahmedio: 6:24pm On Jan 22, 2022
Dozieson:

Okay. Do you have any overheating history?

The overheating is confusing. The temperature gauge on the dashboard never goes far from the first line but then the bonnet is always very hot.
Re: Milky Stuff On My Engine Dipstick- What Does This Mean by Dozieson(m): 6:38pm On Jan 22, 2022
ahmedio:

The overheating is confusing. The temperature gauge on the dashboard never goes far from the first line but then the bonnet is always very hot.

So it has not shut down the car? Just meet a competent mechanic to check the top gasket and engine block warp

1 Like

Re: Milky Stuff On My Engine Dipstick- What Does This Mean by sultaan(m): 6:56pm On Jan 22, 2022
ahmedio:

Coolant getting into engine when hot, you need to take head off and resurface it properly to a smooth straight edge and install a new bolt properly torque. Do not reuse old bolts.If you continue to drive like that water will compromise lubrication and wear your bearings and cams
Re: Milky Stuff On My Engine Dipstick- What Does This Mean by okoroemeka(m): 4:10am On Jan 23, 2022
sultaan:

Coolant getting into engine when hot, you need to take head off and resurface it properly to a smooth straight edge and install a new bolt properly torque. Do not reuse old bolts.If you continue to drive like that water will compromise lubrication and wear your bearings and cams
best advice,stop driving car to aviod complete engine breakdown,find a good mechanic to change the top gasket,and wash the radiator this will not cost more than #20-#30k,it is cheaper than buying another engine
Re: Milky Stuff On My Engine Dipstick- What Does This Mean by symbianDON(m): 9:16am On Jan 23, 2022
sultaan:

nothing to add! Just go with the above.
Re: Milky Stuff On My Engine Dipstick- What Does This Mean by diportivo: 10:52am On Jan 23, 2022
nobody is advising him to change the mecho that's seeing water and oil mixing and is telling him to buy double cell radiator undecided

11 Likes

Re: Milky Stuff On My Engine Dipstick- What Does This Mean by MASTAkiLLAh(m): 4:37pm On Jan 23, 2022
Change your mechanic o shocked that guy is a maniac

2 Likes

Re: Milky Stuff On My Engine Dipstick- What Does This Mean by okoroemeka(m): 9:54pm On Jan 23, 2022
diportivo:
nobody is advising him to change the mecho that's seeing water and oil mixing and is telling him to buy double cell radiator undecided
actually that Nissan Pathfinder,Xterra,etc has factory fault of transmission oil in radiator breaking and mixing with water coolant ,so the mech could be partially right in advicing a radiator change but if it is transmission oil it will be brown not milky
Re: Milky Stuff On My Engine Dipstick- What Does This Mean by Dozieson(m): 10:16pm On Jan 23, 2022
okoroemeka:
actually that Nissan Pathfinder,Xterra,etc has factory fault of transmission oil in radiator breaking and mixing with water coolant ,so the mech could be partially right in advicing a radiator change but if it is transmission oil it will be brown not milky

He is talking about engine oil and not transmission oil
Re: Milky Stuff On My Engine Dipstick- What Does This Mean by diportivo: 10:20pm On Jan 23, 2022
okoroemeka:

you just typed loads of falsehood with your full chest

2 Likes

Re: Milky Stuff On My Engine Dipstick- What Does This Mean by diportivo: 10:22pm On Jan 23, 2022
Dozieson:

He is talking about engine oil and not transmission oil

even at that,is it the same power train in the pathy,xterra and xtrail?

I no even know wetin I go type again

that post has traumatised me embarassed
Re: Milky Stuff On My Engine Dipstick- What Does This Mean by olumzzz(m): 6:09am On Jan 24, 2022
diportivo:

Maxi comrade, I dey see am o.
No be every tom, preek and harry suppose dey comment on car issues

1 Like

Re: Milky Stuff On My Engine Dipstick- What Does This Mean by ahmedio: 8:09am On Jan 24, 2022
MASTAkiLLAh:
Change your mechanic o shocked that guy is a maniac

Most of the mechanics around here are worse than the one I am using. I can say he is even better than most of them.

1 Like

Re: Milky Stuff On My Engine Dipstick- What Does This Mean by ahmedio: 8:11am On Jan 24, 2022
okoroemeka:

It’s a Nissan Xtrail. Not Xterra. Wetin I wan do with Xterra.
Re: Milky Stuff On My Engine Dipstick- What Does This Mean by MASTAkiLLAh(m): 8:41am On Jan 24, 2022
ahmedio:

Most of the mechanics around here are worse than the one I am using. I can say he is even better than most of them.
just follow sultaan's advise. What's your location, there's sure to be a recommended Nairaland mechanic in your city
Re: Milky Stuff On My Engine Dipstick- What Does This Mean by ahmedio: 9:36am On Jan 24, 2022
MASTAkiLLAh:
just follow sultaan's advise. What's your location, there's sure to be a recommended Nairaland mechanic in your city

I am in IjebuOde
Re: Milky Stuff On My Engine Dipstick- What Does This Mean by alphaNomega: 10:37am On Jan 24, 2022
diportivo:
cheesy
Re: Milky Stuff On My Engine Dipstick- What Does This Mean by sheantip(m): 12:16pm On Jan 25, 2022
ahmedio:

I am in IjebuOde
I can recommend a good mechanic for you in ijebu ode if you don't mind. Your choice.
Re: Milky Stuff On My Engine Dipstick- What Does This Mean by ahmedio: 10:22am On Jan 27, 2022
sheantip:

I can recommend a good mechanic for you in ijebu ode if you don't mind. Your choice.

Please I don’t mind
Re: Milky Stuff On My Engine Dipstick- What Does This Mean by okoroemeka(m): 1:18pm On Jan 27, 2022
diportivo:

let's be civil and polite we are not competing who is correct or not,but goggle the top five problems of Nissan trucks and SUV from 2005-2010 and you will see that they are under attack from bad radiators mixing water and transmission oil,but the mech should know the colour of engine oil (milky)and transmission oil(brown/pinkish) in water.
Re: Milky Stuff On My Engine Dipstick- What Does This Mean by sultaan(m): 1:52am On Jan 30, 2022
okoroemeka:
let's be civil and polite we are not competing who is correct or not,but goggle the top five problems of Nissan trucks and SUV from 2005-2010 and you will see that they are under attack from bad radiators mixing water and transmission oil,but the mech should know the colour of engine oil (milky)and transmission oil(brown/pinkish) in water.

Again my brother, OP said water on engine oil dipstick, not transmission dip stick

4 Likes

Re: Milky Stuff On My Engine Dipstick- What Does This Mean by kernniejay(m): 12:22pm On Jan 30, 2022
You need to change that mechanic before he sends you back to trekking mode. Your car must have overheated once and burned the head gasket. That is why radiator coolant is getting into the combustion chamber of your engine and the water is mixing with engine oil. Change the top gasket first.

NOTE: Cause of overheating could be anything like, shutted thermostat, poor fan speed, water pump failure etc, not because of single cell radiator, just get a good mechanic to find out for you. Changing to double cell radiator will not solve any problem but will compound your fuel consumption because your engine operating temperature would be elongated and the engine will ask for more fuel. I am not a mechanic and I don't need to be one before I understand these things.
Re: Milky Stuff On My Engine Dipstick- What Does This Mean by diportivo: 3:35pm On Jan 30, 2022
kernniejay:
You need to change that mechanic before he sends you back to trekking mode. Your car must have overheated once and burned the head gasket. That is why radiator coolant is getting into the combustion chamber of your engine and the water is mixing with engine oil. Change the top gasket first.

NOTE: Cause of overheating could be anything like, shutted thermostat, poor fan speed, water pump failure etc, not because of single cell radiator, just get a good mechanic to find out for you. Changing to double cell radiator will not solve any problem but will compound your fuel consumption because your engine operating temperature would be elongated and the engine will ask for more fuel. I am not a mechanic and I don't need to be one before I understand these things.

9icetoo
Re: Milky Stuff On My Engine Dipstick- What Does This Mean by ahmedio: 5:38pm On Jan 30, 2022
diportivo:

9icetoo

Thanks . I have changed the gasket. After changing it the mechanic was telling me that he didn’t hear when I initially complained about the water in the engine oil. I was so mad. But anyway it’s been discovered that it was really the gasket that got burnt. Thank you all for the insight

4 Likes

Re: Milky Stuff On My Engine Dipstick- What Does This Mean by Dozieson(m): 6:38pm On Jan 30, 2022
ahmedio:

Thanks . I have changed the gasket. After changing it the mechanic was telling me that he didn’t hear when I initially complained about the water in the engine oil. I was so mad. But anyway it’s been discovered that it was really the gasket that got burnt. Thank you all for the insight

Congratulations. Has the car done overheating before?

(1) (Reply)

If Only I Had A Garage Long Enough / How Much It Cost To Bake My Toyota Camry. Urgent Matter / About Volkswagen Touareg(experience Car Users)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.